Obama and smoking: It’s a hard habit to break
December 9th, 2010

Obama and smoking: It’s a hard habit to break

WASHINGTON (CNN) - President Obama may be under extreme pressure to get a tax cut deal, START treaty and other key items on his agenda, but according to a top aide, all that heat hasn’t forced the President to smoke.

“I've not seen or witnessed evidence of any smoking in probably nine months,” said White House Spokesman Robert Gibbs.

Gibbs was also unaware if the pressure of working in the White House had spawned any new smokers.

But he acknowledged that the President continues to “wrestle” with his habit by “chewing gum” and just being “stubborn.” “Even where he might have once found some comfort in that,[smoking] he's pushed it away,” Gibbs said.

While the President may have avoided lighting up in front of his spokesman in months, Gibbs stopped short of saying he’d kicked the habit.

Watch the Gibbs remarks

In fact in his February physical report, the Presidents doctor cited “continue smoking cessation efforts,” as part of his overall health goals.

The President has talked publicly about his efforts to quit smoking. “I constantly struggle with it. Have I fallen off the wagon sometimes? Yes,” he told reporters at a press conference in June 2009. He described himself as a “former smoker” who was “95 percent cured.”

This issue is back in the news because the Surgeon General’s latest report shows even “social smoking” can block arteries and trigger a heart attack.

The White House spokesman who rarely dips into his private life to make a point, explained that his own father was a smoker who quit when he was diagnosed with lung cancer.

“He’s still here and hopefully will be for a long time,” Gibbs said. Then pulling back the curtain on his life a bit more , Gibbs talked about his young son Ethan. “If there’s anything in the world that I hope my son never, ever, ever does, is this.” [smoking]

The President has worked to prevent kids from taking up smoking in the first place by warning that “once you've gone down this path, then it's something you continually struggle with.”

He speaks from experience but it’s “not something he’s all together proud of,” said Gibbs.

Topics: President Obama • Robert Gibbs • The Buzz

1. RJ

A former smoker who has 95 % quit is still a smoker. Smoking is smoking and makes you a smoker. If you don't smoke you are not a smoker. This is Obama lying again!

December 9, 2010 at 4:43 pm |
    • SF

and you're 100% annoying

December 9, 2010 at 4:53 pm |
      • repub4life

and you are 200% revolting

December 9, 2010 at 6:44 pm |
      • JG

Ahahahahaha! Right on!

December 9, 2010 at 7:01 pm |
      • djs

True, but they're still right.

December 9, 2010 at 8:17 pm |
    • LiberalNN

It's a personal not a political issue. Give it a rest.

December 9, 2010 at 7:01 pm |
      • Neilius

Thank you.....

December 10, 2010 at 9:36 am |
      • CH1108

Amen!

December 10, 2010 at 4:28 pm |
    • Nick

RJ.....wow you are irritating. Grow up....pathetic.

December 9, 2010 at 7:08 pm |
    • Wolfen

And this is you being an idiot again. (Applies to TOTAL LIAR, too.)

Smoking is an addiction. No addict is ever 100% cured. That itch is ALWAYS there.

December 9, 2010 at 8:08 pm |
      • Jodi

Not true. I quit smoking and have no "itch" Cigarettes disgust me

December 9, 2010 at 11:43 pm |
    • JH

and you're and ass!

December 9, 2010 at 8:22 pm |
    • E

Obviously you have never been a smoker, you have no clue how hard it is to quit, especially during stressful times. It is a lifetime battle, and 95% is a million times better than a lot of people are doing.

I admire his ability to stay smoke free on camera and to stay 95% smoke free while under such horrendous stress. His struggle will help display how hard it is to stop and hopefully help keep young people from starting in the first place.

December 9, 2010 at 9:12 pm |
      • Careful

Careful the brown on your nose is getting darker.

December 10, 2010 at 8:47 am |
      • Vicki4

I agree with "E". If most people could rid themselves of their less admorable "habits" i.e. smoking, over-eating, drinking, speeding, etc. for 100% of the time in front of their peers and 95% of the time behind closed doors, we'd have a much healthier and safer nation. Fact.

December 10, 2010 at 10:56 am |
    • dinak

What about the "deadly" second-hand smoke that Obama's staff and secret service agents are forced to to be exposed to? How could our dear leader endanger innocent people? shouldn't that guilt be enough to get him to quit?

December 9, 2010 at 9:34 pm |
      • KeithTexas

Second hand smoke is no longer an issue in the United States. I am not sure it ever was a real issue anyway, just some lawyers trying to squeeze a bit more money out of the cigarette companies.

December 9, 2010 at 11:49 pm |
      • Vicki4

Well, that fact never stopped the 20 plus POTUS and VPs who've smoked in the WH. If her is smoking it's probably during his "night walks with Bo". He's already admitted that. Seems reasonable unless you're going to start bleeding for Bo.

December 10, 2010 at 10:58 am |
    • Sherron Teal

AND YOU ARE 100 percent IGNORANT!!!!!!?

December 9, 2010 at 9:34 pm |
    • Paul Ronco

Thanks for the insight, RJ. Is your last name "Reynolds," by any chance?

December 10, 2010 at 5:54 am |
      • Sol

i would say yes for one thing it is bad for your health as you parbobly know, but one other thing is because smoking makes you burn out faster. If you want to lose weight you are going to need your lungs a lot, they will be working overtime, well if you think about it smoking will only slow you down because it messes with your lungs. In other words it will make you more out of breath then you would be.

April 2, 2012 at 12:34 pm |
    • mat

Apparently the higher taxes were only aimed at the poor in this respect. Im sure he has no problem affording it. God knows how much we need the gov to tell us how to live and eat and think.

December 10, 2010 at 6:45 am |
    • ricstir

more goverment lies...

December 10, 2010 at 6:54 am |
    • NORBERT UEBERSCHAAR

SMOKE, SMOKE , SMOKE – WE MIGHT GET RID OF YOU SOONER ( Any chance before 1012, doctor?)

December 30, 2010 at 11:47 pm |
    • ReboxEcigs.com

Redbox Electronic Cigarettes has help many people quit smoking. Our menthol flavor is just like a pack of Kool's.
      Give us a try. Put 'Obama' in the promo code and get 20% off.

September 3, 2012 at 6:14 pm |
  2. NC

To RJ: Smoking sure beats drinking. Have you been hitting the bottle again.

December 9, 2010 at 4:49 pm |
    • djs

Does it? Most people don't get sick just being in proximity to drinkers(unless they're smoking)

December 9, 2010 at 8:19 pm |
      • NickDanger

And MOST people don't get sick just from being near smokers, either. The most accusatory studies show a 10% or 20% increase in risk of a heart attack - and since most people never have a heart attack, that's a tiny number of people being made sick.

December 9, 2010 at 11:26 pm |
      • ksoze

Or driving.

December 10, 2010 at 12:14 am |
  3. deb

I quit smoking many, many years ago. It is very hard to do but once the nicotine is out of your system you don't crave it any longer. Too many smokers give up to early in the game thinking that they will always crave that cigarette but, believe me, you won't. Trying to keep weight off is way harder because you can never "give up" eating.

December 9, 2010 at 5:39 pm |
    • Cole

YES! you do crave it. I quit 2 years ago & I would still like a cigarette.It's a constant battle.

December 9, 2010 at 9:11 pm |
      • Efi

Cigarettes are the deadliest conspiracy any industry/corporations have ever unleashed on mankind. Decades of brainwashing to subliminally convince kids that it's cool to smoke and adults that it's necessary to get through life have succeeded in making tobacco the single biggest cause of preventable death on Earth. I strongly recommend all smokers immediately read Alan Carr's Easyway to quit smoking. It worked for me and it makes the quit an enjoyable process. If Obama had read it, he would be a happy 100% smoke free man, and not clinging on to that 5%, which is all psychological anyway.

December 12, 2010 at 11:56 am |
  4. lou dunlap

He'll resist giving in to the craving until the Republicans offer him a cigarette.

December 9, 2010 at 6:38 pm |
  5. Paul, Atlanta, GA

I tried quitting for 20 years. Thank GOD for Chantix. Been 9 months now and although I do have urges I can fight them off. I did the drug for 60 days. I know folks who did 30 days and started again. 60 seems to work although the manufacturer recommends 90 days of treatment.

December 9, 2010 at 6:56 pm |
    • JG

+1.... I'm on Chantix and I agree that it definitely works for me. I think I am going to do the recommended 3 months, since I'm lucky enough that my employer pays for it. One other thing... no side effects that I can report... knock on wood!

December 10, 2010 at 8:28 am |
  6. TOTAL FACT

NOT FOR MEN IT ISN'T. ONES WITH WILLPOWER AND COMMON SENSE HAVE NO PROBLEM WITH THE NASTY PROBLEM. I SMOKED FOR 17 YEARS LAID THEM DOWN AND NEVER LOOKED BACK. IMPEACH WEAKLINGS NOW>

December 9, 2010 at 7:07 pm |
    • Nick

You're very stupid. Try to hide that and maybe you'll function better in society.

December 9, 2010 at 7:09 pm |
    • David

I think your keyboard is broken, as is your English and your logic.

December 9, 2010 at 7:14 pm |
      • Erick

When you are a regular smekor your brain gets used to the nicotine. Once you quit it creates a chemical imbalance in your brain because you took away a chemical that has become part of the regular system. This most likely causes headaches, depression, and cravings. It is also why using gum and other methods that have some nicotine in them help people quit. It reduces the amount of nicotine slowly over time to help the brain functions learn to balance and operate without the nicotine. I would recommend just using one of those systems offered in drug stores or use your own such as going from say a pack a day to half a pack for a week then a quarter of a pack for the next week to 2 a day for a week to one a day for a week then one every other day for a week to none. This way the brain should balance out and he should be much healthier and happier! Good Luck!

June 27, 2012 at 2:47 am |
      • Luana

At the beginning of this sumemr, I started smoking cigarettes. It was for various reasons, both social and personal (I liked the stress relief nicotine provided). I wouldn't smoke regularly perhaps a cigarette every two days. Two months ago I did psilocybin magic mushrooms for the first time. During my experience, someone gave me a cigarette to smoke. About half way through the cigarette, I looked at it for a few seconds, said this is f*cking disgusting and ashed it out. Since then, I haven't touched another cigarette, nor have I had the urge. In fact, the very thought of smoking tobacco seems repulsive to me now.I've heard many, many stories similar to this. I also read an article talking about how a research group at Johns Hopkins University has successfully been using psilocybin to break people of cigarette addictions.What is it about magic mushrooms that causes people to never want to smoke a cigarette again?

June 27, 2012 at 3:04 am |
    • me

So you feel for 17 years you were not a man, had no willpower or common sense and should have been fired from your job, just a weakling. Now your full of willpower, common sense and strong. WOW ! you must be proud of you.

December 9, 2010 at 8:03 pm |
    • djs

I don't think it's a "total fact" that it takes a "man" to quit smoking-hence every pregnant woman who has ever quit. I smoked for 23 years, and it took the birth of my daughter to get me to quit. Impeach weaklings? Now you're just being silly.

December 9, 2010 at 8:24 pm |
    • Religion Rots your Brain

Maybe one day you'll be able to quit your addiction to the caps lock key...

December 9, 2010 at 9:32 pm |
    • Brian

If it's so easy to quit, I'm guessing in those 17 years you didn't have one reason to quit, or one person upset that you smoked? I also find it hard to believe that you kicked it the first time around.

December 9, 2010 at 10:20 pm |
    • Rowdy

Intelligence and spimliicty – easy to understand how you think.

December 23, 2011 at 1:10 pm |
    • mpwkvfezo

7dYUXp wbldkcgqokkg

December 25, 2011 at 4:49 am |
  7. Dan

Let the guy do what the hell he wants its not your body

December 9, 2010 at 7:14 pm |
  8. Lindsey

TO RJ: Don't listen to these people!! I agree with you 100%!! They just don't like how you (wait for it) TOLD THE TRUTH ABOUT BARACK! Oh that hurt...

December 9, 2010 at 7:19 pm |
  9. ed

I find it amusing that someone takes the time to use Obama's smoking habits to illustrate he is a liar. I do have to agree that if one smokes even a little you are still a smoker.

December 9, 2010 at 7:29 pm |
    • tomcat3

Bingo! If a drunk is 95% cured, he is still a drunk! hahaha...

December 9, 2010 at 10:34 pm |
  10. TellurideGreg

The President should try what I did: switch to Swedish Snus. Its hard to find locally but easy enough to buy it legally online. I haven't had a craving for cigs for over six months! You can learn more about the health benefits at telluridesnus. com

December 9, 2010 at 7:31 pm |
  11. Mortanion

I dont agree with Obama on most things but I think people using this to take a stab at the president are pretty weak.

December 9, 2010 at 7:42 pm |
  12. John

Smoking is hard to quit. Plain and simple.

The last think people who are quitting need is people yelling at them about how disgusting they are. Quite honestly it make you want to smoke more because it is the one thing that is going to relax you enough to not punch someone in the face. It's stressful enough for people who are not the president of the US.

Success rates for people who try multiple times to quit unsuccessfully is higher than those who try on their first go around. I refused to quit for a long time because it infuriated me to see anti smokers being such jerks to us. Not to mention the stupid scare tactic commercials like truth.com which should be called half-truth.com. I'm an adult just like every other legal smoker out there. Tell me the straightforward, unadulterated, non-marketed, sterile, vanilla truth and let me make up my own mind. I had to reach the decision on my own accord because it is hard to quit. It's hard on us, our families, and our acquaintances because we are not the most pleasant people when we are quitting.

And anyone who has never been a smoker out there who is saying anything: SHUT UP! Would you talk to a auto mechanic about how to treat cancer? No, because he doesn't know anything about it. Same goes for you about quitting smoking.

December 9, 2010 at 7:51 pm |
  13. MIArepublican

it's funny the jackass smokes and he is pushing health reform

December 9, 2010 at 7:55 pm |
  14. me

15 years ago I laid them down never to return. Smoked a pipe for years as well, loved the smell and felt it was relaxing.
    Now cigarettes smell awful to me, would have never believed that I would say that. Still like the smell of a pipe or good cigar. I understand how hard it is and being under pressure would only make it worse. Quitting is something only you can do for you, hope Obama can do it for his health.

December 9, 2010 at 7:55 pm |
  15. Telluridesnus.com

Cigs are definitely a hard habit to break. I broke the habit with Swedish Snus. Check out the site listed as my name above.

December 9, 2010 at 7:56 pm |
  16. STEVE D

I bet Obama use's one of those fancy cig holders that old Franklin D used, with his feet on the Desk looking up
    at ceiling and saying, i'm going to get all you GOP'S....

December 9, 2010 at 8:05 pm |
  17. michelle from chi town

I think it is absolutelÝ ridiculous that people turn a man's struggles with smoking into some sort of political jab. Whether or not you agree with the president's policies and his administration, he is still a human being and deserves the rest everyone else in this country demands.

December 9, 2010 at 8:21 pm |
    • djusmc7229

You are so right. No one would have EVER done this to President Bush.

December 10, 2010 at 8:59 am |
  18. harpman

I too quit smoking cold turkey. Put them down and put my lighter on top of them, walked away and never smoked again. I view smoking as irrational and a character flaw. Something wierd about crumbling up dried leaves, wrapping them in paper, setting it on fire and sucking smoke into your lungs . To spend that kind of money on a product that carries a warning label which says "this product will kill you deader than hell" doesn't seem too smart.

December 9, 2010 at 8:22 pm |
  19. twiddly

If you're not a smoker, or ex-smoker, it's hard to understand.
    Former heroin addicts say quitting smoking is tougher.
    I quit after 40 years, pack a day. It's been about 8 months and while the nicotine addiction is long gone, I still crave a cig every day. It does get better over time, but it really sucks to have to keep dealing with that.
    Yes, it's my fault for starting. I know that, not making excuses. But quitting is really, really hard; give Obama a break.

December 9, 2010 at 8:49 pm |
  20. BPrice

I smoked for thirtythree years, when I quit I quit cold turkey and I haven't had a cigarette in three years and I want smoke again for the rest of my life. I knew it would be difficult but every time I wanted to smoke and I still want to smoke; that just strengthens my resolve to never smoke again. Anybody can do it if they put their mind to it and really want to stop, that's the key. You got to want it.

December 9, 2010 at 8:59 pm |
  21. chris

Nicotine is worse than illegal drugs. It kills more Americans than any other drug. The Supreme Court had their chance to stop the killings but instead backed the tabacco companies. Nicotine has been shown to be more addictiive then cocaine and heroin. I see many old and young people dying from it and still cant stop smoking. My father died from it and he smoked till the end. He couldnt stop either.
    For some people its not as hard to quit but for most its really hard.

December 9, 2010 at 9:12 pm |
    • djusmc7229

It's always someone elses fault.

December 10, 2010 at 9:01 am |
      • Pavel

you should want to stop sonkimg for more than just to lose weight, (what about the health benefits?) If you are serious about quitting, you will be fine if you do not replace your cravings for a smoke with food cravings, try and have a big glass of water when you would normally smoke or a cup pf green tea, that should help shed weight!

April 2, 2012 at 10:23 pm |
  22. AGeek

28 years of smoking, 8 months clean and counting. If someone tells you "oh, once it's out of your system, that's it!" ... beat them. with a tire iron. twice. One of the simple pleasures I had was to stand in the falling snow with a hot cup of coffee and enjoying a smoke. Now that winter's back, I miss it. A lot. But hey, $10/pack (gotta love NY) is above my pay grade. I suppose I'll live longer, although given how f–ked up the government is, how trashed my retirement is from Wall Street pillaging it, and that I'll end up working until I'm dead, I'm not sure I gained much.

December 9, 2010 at 9:22 pm |
  23. rotorhead1871

baby...will power ...its now or never.........he just hasnt had that come to jesus moment yet....

December 9, 2010 at 9:24 pm |
  24. 14401

I feel sorry for his girls.

December 9, 2010 at 9:31 pm |
    • KeithTexas

Aren't we sanctimonious? Feel sorry for yourself

December 9, 2010 at 11:56 pm |
    • soldier

I feel sorry for YOUR children, you judgemental piece of garbage!

December 10, 2010 at 7:20 am |
  25. Dan

I personally wish this guy would smoke a lot more

December 9, 2010 at 9:32 pm |
    • mike carter

I know how hard it is to try to quit. No wonder he's in a bad mood, and nervous as a cat !

December 9, 2010 at 11:02 pm |
  26. yoder

@14401
    I truly doubt he smokes in front of or around his daughters. The closest my wife gets to my smoking is the smell in my clothes. Who cares if he has a smoke every now and again. It does calm the nerves.

December 9, 2010 at 9:41 pm |
  27. R. J. Reynolds

Why does this writer call it a habit? Just because it's the president and and it's uncultured to call the president a drug addict? it's not a habit, it's a drug addiction. He's addicted to nicotine. Why not just tell the truth?

December 9, 2010 at 9:46 pm |
  28. gremlin

Kools no doubt.

December 9, 2010 at 9:59 pm |
  29. fafam

But it was ok for Laura Bush to smoke, right.

December 9, 2010 at 10:08 pm |
  30. tomcat3

People that are hooked on cigarettes are weak willed and have no power over their lives.
    Obama sets a bad example with his personal addictions. Cigarettes are just suicide in slow motion...

December 9, 2010 at 10:25 pm |
    • KeithTexas

You must not know much about addictions.

December 9, 2010 at 11:53 pm |
  31. Somoye olumuyiwa

No one can quit anything by his efforts except with the help of God. I think Obama should seek for Gods help if he really wants to quit.

December 9, 2010 at 11:02 pm |
    • KeithTexas

Don't give credit to god for me quiting. I don't remember anyone suffering for me or helping me. Of course I didn't ask either, God or the easter bunny.

December 9, 2010 at 11:52 pm |
    • vile filth

your beloved God made him smoke to begin with. perhaps he should seek the counsel of beelzebub instead.

December 10, 2010 at 9:06 am |
  32. mickyd

Who really cares, ya know! thers alot more crap in the air we all breathe, than what a few cigs. i say let him smoke! hes just a person just like the rest of us!

December 9, 2010 at 11:02 pm |
  33. Jeff

Speaking as a smoker who has tried to quit, it isn't easy especially with my job (I am an over the road trucker). The stress of being on the road 3 weeks out then home for a weekend takes a lot out of you. If I think my job is stressful, then President Obamas MUST be 100 times worse. So when he says that he's 95% cured, I say, GOOD FOR HIM! At least he's trying.

December 9, 2010 at 11:11 pm |
  34. Jon K

When Jackie Robinson became the first African American to play in MLB, he was held to a much higher standard than his white counterparts and essentially had to behave like a saint. Likewise, Obama is getting torn apart for smoking, where as his predecessors started illegal wars, treacherously outed CIA agents, and gave no-bid war contracts to their old pals, just to name a few of their many, treasonous acts.

December 9, 2010 at 11:24 pm |
  35. Benvana4

Haha! I quit smoking 3 months ago! I win. I have more will power than Obama! yeah! Ughhhh, self control, ughhh

December 9, 2010 at 11:24 pm |
  36. richard

why the hell is this news-worthy?

December 9, 2010 at 11:42 pm |
  37. mr,lier

Wow u guys make a big deal out of it! I dont see no body complaining about the mariguana smokers and crack smokers! I guess they got more rights than us the regular smokers LOL

December 9, 2010 at 11:58 pm |
  38. jp wentworth

honestly, i really don't care if obama has a problem smoking or if he splits his lip open playing b.ball....the presidency has turned into a joke and obama needs to make some real changes or he won't be in the white house next year. i'm ready for a president who is willing to make this country great again instead of a spit bucket....throw out the big wigs and in with the people who know the real struggle of the common American.

December 10, 2010 at 5:00 am |
  39. Gil

If it's nicotine gum he's chewing, he's not helping his resistance to smoking.

December 10, 2010 at 6:07 am |
  40. No fool

If it's nicotine gum he's chewing, he's not helping his resistance to smoking

December 10, 2010 at 6:08 am |
  41. Katie

I don't care if Obama smokes. It's nice to see someone with real issues and admitting to them. At least he's not a fat, lazy, stupid, uneducated moron.

December 10, 2010 at 6:14 am |
    • NORBERT UEBERSCHAAR

WOW, WOW, WOW – FOR YOU IS FINE TO HAVE A DRUG EDICT IN WHITE HOUSE! WELL, THANKS TO SAME DRUG EDICT YOUR SON OR GRANDCHILD WILL ONE DAY TAKE SHOWER IN U S ARMY WITH A BUNCH OF HOMOSEXUALS (ADVICE HIM NEVER TO PICK UP THE SOAP – THIS COULD HELP – BUT SAFEST WAY WOULD BE TAKING SHOWER WITH LESBIANS – ARE OBAMA -BIDEN WORKING ON THAT MILITARY IMPROVEMENT?!
      GOD HELP AMERICA
      A VETERAN

December 31, 2010 at 12:29 am |
  42. reality chick

Dude, just smoke already! You're the president of a country full of ingrates and idiots. I can't think of a single human being on the planet that deserves to fire one up more. You deserve more than a cigarette, my friend. You deserve sainthood.

December 10, 2010 at 6:30 am |
  43. justmeananddog

I smoked for approx. 28 yrs. 2 packs of cigarettes and a pipe everyday( I had about 12 pipes on the go). Quit cold turkey one day and went nuts for about a week. I had Hallucinations, cold sweats; the “works”. The worse “it” got, the madder “I” got, because I “finally”realized I had been a "drug addict" for all those years. I have been "clean" now for over 20 yrs. Probably 20 lbs heavier than I should be but C’est la vie.
    How did I do it? I carried a “Pack” with me and every time I would reach for them I would say to myself “not today, maybe tomorrow”. Finally after a couple of weeks they dried up and fell apart. My “tomorrow” never came.

December 10, 2010 at 6:36 am |
  44. justmeananddog

Oh Yeah. i forgot one important thing. I ate about a 45 gallon drum of "Mints" in the first year.

December 10, 2010 at 6:40 am |
  45. mat

Hasnt everyone heard? One cigarette can kill you. Hahahahahaha. Lies lies lies.

December 10, 2010 at 6:48 am |
  46. Eleanor Calvert

anyone who has never smoked, has no right to critize(sic) those of us who do. You may not even have an addiction,but somewhere in your life may be aplace that is not pretty. Give the president credit for being open and trying to quit. we all have faults. Hope yours doesn't hurt anyone. I always smoke outside away from others and I feel the only one I am hurting is myself.

December 10, 2010 at 6:50 am |
  47. ricstir

more goverment lies!!

December 10, 2010 at 6:55 am |
  48. krg

I've never smoked, but my father has smoked for 45 years and has struggled to quit multiple times. I may not agree with Obama politically, but on this issue, I have a lot of respect for him. Why not wiat to quit until your out of office? Until the weight of the country is not on your shoulders? I think he realizes that he is a role model for some, and has this addiction. I commend him for his efforts and wish him the best of luck on this difficult goal.

December 10, 2010 at 7:00 am |
  49. Anne S .

No matter who you are telling someone to quit smoking is very hard. Everyone has some kind of bad habit and to be harped on big or small makes you want to do it all the more. I think the main thing in giving up smoking is that you have to set your mind to it. You determine if you want to quit. I've known people that have quit, and when something really stressful came along in their lives went back to smoking. There are non-smakers who think you can give it up just like that. It's not like eating a piece of candy and saying that's it. And what Obama does in his private life is none of our business. He has a right to do what he wants to do. It's like someone coming into your home and telling you that you can't do your favorite habit anymore or your to stop doing it.

December 10, 2010 at 7:12 am |
  50. justmeanddog

To the Moderator:
    I guess I am Having trouble spelling this morning. pls Just delete those 2 comments under "justmeananddog". I will resubmit when I am fully awake. Thks.

December 10, 2010 at 7:30 am |
  51. soldier

Why should his smoking affect any of us? He's an American citizen too, isn't he? He's not breaking the law, and I'm sure he's not blowing it in anyone's face....

December 10, 2010 at 7:32 am |
  52. Brian in MD

I'll be glad to send him a case of smokes if that helps in reaching the desired result of removing him from office anyway possible.

December 10, 2010 at 7:37 am |
  53. LiberalNewz

CNN sucks. As soon as you write a comment criticizing a Democrat they bad your user id. CNN is a disgrace to journalism and free speech.

December 10, 2010 at 7:59 am |
    • Vicki4

Well my friend, Fox News is worse. The pro GOP/Tea Party/Conservatives can make the most disgusting and threatening remarks towards POTUS and folks expressing their opinions and are allowed to post all day long but as soon as you post an opposing view (especially with reference rebuttals) they will deactivate your ability to post, even if you're using a different computer or sign on.

December 10, 2010 at 11:08 am |
  54. Tam

The nicotine habit is extremely hard to break. Harder than cocaine. Better not to start.

December 10, 2010 at 8:02 am |
  55. rod roderick

Either ban smoking cigerattes or legalize marijuana. The law simply doesn't make sense.

December 10, 2010 at 8:13 am |
  56. mattski

Do what Yul Brenner said in that eerie post-mortem commercial he did, "Just Don't Smoke". That's OK, Barry, it didn't work for me either.

December 10, 2010 at 8:18 am |
  57. Eric

Come one everyone is missing the point. Smoking is awesome.

December 10, 2010 at 8:39 am |
  58. No fool

Moderate this CNN, you guys are ridiculous!

December 10, 2010 at 8:47 am |
  59. Barking Alien

Be gentle on the President he has a very stressfull job. I can't image having to deal with all of that stress on a daily basis. I would have to drink and smoke to compensate. If he has a few cigarettes I am not sure why that is such a big deal. That is a personal issue.

December 10, 2010 at 9:03 am |
  60. Ron

Give the guy a break – he is trying

December 10, 2010 at 9:05 am |
  61. Ed

At least it is cigs and not pot! Give the guy a break.

December 10, 2010 at 9:09 am |
  62. bzonline123

It's easy for people tend to think a politician's every gesture comes with political purposes. But smoking habit should have no political connection or even any political implication at all. Smoking is a bad habit, help you relax a little bit for a very short of time, that's it. Please give everybody a break.

December 10, 2010 at 4:15 pm |
  63. Efi

I believe cigarettes to be the deadliest conspiracy any industry/corporations have ever unleashed on mankind. Decades of brainwashing to subliminally convince kids that it's cool to smoke and adults that it's necessary to get through life have succeeded in making tobacco the single biggest cause of preventable death on Earth. I strongly recommend all smokers immediately read Alan Carr's Easyway to quit smoking. It worked for me and it makes the quit an enjoyable process. If Obama had read it, he would be a happy 100% smoke free man, and not clinging on to that 5%, which is all psychological anyway.

December 12, 2010 at 11:58 am |
  64. LIZ CARTER in GEORGIA

I remember my mother often saying back in the 60s, when we were young and trying to experiment and experience the 'COOL FACTOR' of smoking cigarettes, that if this nation was really interested in fighting a drug war, it would start with cigarettes and coffee. She told us that nicotine and caffeine are two of the worse, addictive drugs on the body; and that they were also 'gateway drugs' to even BIGGER problems with addiction later on. She encouraged us not to smoke, and if possible, to leave coffee alone.

December 14, 2010 at 10:57 am |
  65. John Galt

FACT: Obama does not have the will power to quit smoking because he is weak.

December 27, 2010 at 2:09 am |
  66. Liz Carter in Georgia

@NORBET UEBERSCHAAR; Veteran? Well, you should have been trained to respect the position or the office of the president; THE COMMANDER IN CHIEF better than that! We do have some loud, boisterous evil ones; but for the most part, many veterans who are not so enthused with what has had to happen so far, including my husband, don't wish for OBAMAS' death! Many vets are just 'keeping hope alive', that projectively thinking, things will get better for AMERICA! BTW, were you concerned about the drunk WHITEHOUSE?

January 21, 2011 at 10:42 am |