Obama to hit airwaves across the country
December 13th, 2010

Obama to hit airwaves across the country

WASHINGTON (CNN) - As the Senate takes up the compromise he reached with Republicans to extend the Bush era tax cuts on Monday, President Obama will sit down for interviews with four local television stations from across the country to press for quick passage in Congress.

Obama will be interviewed by reporters from stations in Columbus, Ohio, Denver, Des Moines, and Tampa/St. Petersburg.

The White House says the president will also highlight other aspects of the agreement including the continuation of unemployment insurance, and other investments the White House believes will lead to job creation and economic growth.

Topics: President Obama • Tax cuts

1. dave

what part of we can't pay the bills do people not understand. the tax cuts need to exspire completely because we are very stupid to be borrowing money to pay the bills now. the same party that wants these tax cuts also want to allow people to oppt. out of paying social sucurity taxes. sounds like a good idea? in 2009 personal income tax raised %43 of federal revenue and social sucurity taxes raised %42 of total revenue. if it were not for social sucurity taxes you would have to cut federal spending by at least more than half as well as cut all people who are now drawing social sucurity checks to balance out. (george bush and his party borrowed all the surplus social sucurity money and put it into the general fund for eight years to hide their spending for the wars that was out of control.) you would have just enough money to pay for defense only which is the republicans long term goal. its called spend us to broke to do anything but defense spending. the republicans have been on this goal sense ronald raegan was in office thats why they spend so much being broke gets them their long term goal! balancing the budget right now does not creat one job any place . it more than likely looses jobs. balancing the budget right now serves the republicans long term goal at the exspense of american jobs.

December 13, 2010 at 1:47 pm |
    • TOTAL FACTS

Dave you are so misinformed. iIwas a Democrat for 50 years so I know what I am saying. It was Lydon B. Johnson who tapped into the Social Security and started using it in the budget. Social Security was designed for retires to draw off their own money paid in without cost to the taxpayer. Now He made it not so. As for the military I am a 30 year Veteran. I received my notice today that Obama and his goons are reducing my retirement pay right along with the Active Duty people who are giving up their lives for their country. I am beginning to see why should young men bother to protect this stinking country none of them are appreciated. Not only is our pay reduced also so is social security and has been since 2007. 70 year old people like me will be living under the bridges al;so for as long as we last. Then I guess uncle sam will drag our bodies of to a ditch somewhere. All this happening is obama's plan. He plans with all his changes of destroying the constitution and this country. His master is bin laden himself. The islamic terrorist.

December 13, 2010 at 3:31 pm |
      • Cru

"Total Facts" you are an oxymoron.

December 14, 2010 at 9:56 am |
      • Notfooled

This is all lies the military's pay remains untouched. TOTAL FACTS you have been on here many times spewing your LIES. YOU LIE.

December 15, 2010 at 2:27 am |
  2. TOTAL FACTS

You go ahead hit the airway with more of your lies. I'n here to tell you that you and your administration of Democrats are nothing more than Jackals. I am a 30 year veteran and a Veteran of three wars. I was certainly proud of the letter just received today from my government thanking me for my service to my country in reducting my retirement pay which was barely enough to have a substantial living. With the Social Security to boost it my wife and I thought we could make it easy. BUT NOW IN OUR SEVENTIES AND WITH MEDICAL P[ROBLEMS YOU HAVE LET THE AIR OUT OF OUR TANK. I AM TO PHYSICALLY ILL ALONG WITH MY WIFE FOR EITHER OF US TO GO BACK INTO THE JOB MARKET. BUT NOW AFTER YOUR SEEING FIT TO DESTROY OUR INCOME WE PROBABLY WILL BE JUST ANOTHER COUPLE LIVING UNDER A BRIDGE SOMEWHERE. THANK YOU DEMOCRATS FOR YOU ARE SKUNKS OF THE LOWEST ORDER. I SEE THAT THIS WILL ALSO AFFECT OUR SOLDIERS WHO ARE FIGHTING AND DYING FOR OUR COUNTRY. THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR RUINING THEIR LIVES WHILE YOU AND YOU LOVLY, UGLYIST WIFE EVERTO GRACE WHITE HOUSE LIVE IT UP WITH YOUR FANCY VACATIONS AND HER UNHEARD OF 23 AIDES AT A COST TO THE AMERICAN PEOPLE OF $3,500,000 ANNULLY SALARIES. YOU CAN BET THAT NONE OF YOURS ARE THE CONGRESSES SALARIES WERE REDUCED. YOU ARE A DOG MISTER PRESIDENT AND I WILL DO EVERYTHING TO SEE YOU ARE NOT REELECTED. PALIN 2012.

December 13, 2010 at 3:19 pm |
    • Notfooled

Oh yeah now I remember you are totally in love with Palin. Does your wife know? Take your meds.

December 15, 2010 at 2:30 am |
  3. Deidrick Bennett

I would like to ask the President a question. What happened to the fighter we worked for, contributed to and voted for? What it appears is that he has allowed the job and GOP to make him look small and weak. He can spin this deal anyway he wants but the fact remains that he is unwilling to draw a line in the sand and stand firm on one of the primary campaign promises he made. "No extension on the Bush Tax cuts to millionaires and billionaires who didn't need them and didn't even ask for them", that is what he said over and over. What does he do? He CAVES! He didn't compromise he caved. He looks weak and spineless. Over and over he has set on the sidelines while Pelosi was left to wage his fights for him. He would barely lift a finger to help on any of his own agenda. He just shrinks and continues to look smaller when you watch him dealing with the MINORITY PARTY leaders. The go on air and embarrass him with statements of their refusal to negotiate and he simple looks foolish by capitulating on every issue. I will sit the next cycle out because if he loses and we get stuck with a Republican it will only be for one term and the next Democrat in the Oval Office will have learned from Obama's mistakes and shows of weakness.

December 13, 2010 at 3:28 pm |
    • seeder

I agree with all you said, and now has Pres. Clinton talking for him------–something bad is coming down the pipeline, and I have never been so concerned about the outcome. Down with you Obama, you are not the same person I voted for, you wimp of a man.

December 14, 2010 at 1:42 pm |
  4. JC in SC

Barry
    Please get some new advisers. The ones you have are steering you to defeat in 2012, and I would like you to be re-elected.

December 13, 2010 at 5:11 pm |
    • TOTAL FACTS

Can you answer why you would like him reelected. Is it just because he is black. The man is destructive. I also would like to ask you people why you're so upest the rich is not paying every tax available. If you make below $70,000 you don't pay a damn thing. Jost like always you want a free ride. What the government should do is tax every swinging do..! according to their salary with no tax refund. If you're illegaly the employer should be made to pay the taxesa for them on every number he has employed. stop this silly nonsense. Everyone pays. The first lady only gets one aide and when they reduce the military and civil service wages they must also reduce theirs also. Fair is fair. Maybe then idiots in the Oval office will be more careful what they inact. Plus no more paid by taxpayers vacations for congress and the President. They like everyone else have to pay for their own. Their retirement be pased on time served and not a million dollars a year. If they need protection then they pay for it.

December 13, 2010 at 6:13 pm |
      • Smarter than you

Excuse me, man your lost. . . I made 40k this year. Would you care to take a guess at how much I paid in taxes/SS and such??? 12k! Twelve Thousand dollars in taxes/SS this year alone. My average refund is $600.00. You do the math. I'm really confused on how you claim that if you make under 70k you don't pay taxes.

December 13, 2010 at 7:11 pm |
      • Cru

You make it sound like low wage earners don't pay sales taxes, property taxes, social security taxes.
        Sure, you can go to the old refrain of they get tax rebates.
        But you know what? A vast majority of the under 70k crowd has their taxes withheld, so the government makes interest on their tax dollars before giving it back. Your logic is not as cut and dried as you seem to think it is. But that should be clearly evidenced by your initial assertion that the only reason anyone would want re-election has to do with skin color.

December 14, 2010 at 10:00 am |
  5. JC in SC

TOTAL FACTS.
    Truth is, you do not have them all and you do not have them straight.

December 13, 2010 at 5:13 pm |
  6. MikefromWV

I am a senior living on social security disability. The above individuals pay levels are not being cut. They, as I am also, just will not be receiving a cost of living increase. We did not get one last year, nor this year, and probably will not receive one last year. No cost of living increase is not the same as a cut.

And though I could definitely use the cost of living increases in order to keep up with the increases in my cost of living, I see the need to control costs and hold down the deficit.

This is not a Republican nor a Democratic issue. Solving the deficit issue requires sacrifice from all Americans, not just the ones receiving federal benefits.

To "Total Facts" – The salary of members of Congress did not go down. They just didn't get another raise. Our current President receives the same salary and perks and money for staff salaries as did the previous President. So that issue applies to both Republican and Democratic Presidents. And Bush had far more vacation time than has President Obama, with about half of the problems to deal with, caused by a Republican administration.

With about 14 major surgeries under my belt, as well as COPD, CHF, Type II Diabetes, Degenerative Disc Disease, Cataracts in both eyes and severe sleep apnea, I can pretty well stack my medical problems up against those of "Total Facts" - and add to that that I live alone, where he has two incomes, for him and his wife. And, at present, I do not live under a bridge, nor do I anticipate doing so in the future. So I suggest to "Total Facts" that he get his facts straight. And try not to be so bitter about life's circumstances. Life is life. That's just the way it is!

December 13, 2010 at 5:22 pm |
    • TOTAL FACTS

MIKE IN VA – you are so wrong. The Congress and Obama received a 7% raise in October. They unlike the military and Civil Service workes did not recive any raise. I am a 30 year retiree of the Army and received my notice today that my next check in January will be considerable less for it is being reduced accordingly with all the active members. I did not say SS was reduced just said they did not receive a COLA since 2007. It's alright to be critical but please get your facts right. All the reductions did not stop all the high spending Obama has done nor his 23 aides for his wife when no other First lady ever had more than 3. At a cost of $3,500,000 in salary. I was a Democrat for 50 years not a GOP as you so pont out. I have seen the light with the Democrat party and I will not vote for a party ever again. I will vote for the individual. Especially not one that has no clue as what to do. LOOK FOR OBAMA TO RESIGN WITHIN THE NEXT SIX MONTHS OR GET IMPEACHED. He is worthless and he is beginning to realize it.

December 13, 2010 at 6:28 pm |
      • Smarter than you

You should stop being so bitter and direct your resentment where it is properly due! The defecit that we're facing did not just pop up out of no-where. It has been spiraling out of control for almost 10 years. . . Your piss poor excuse of blaming Obama only proves your ignorance. This is not all Obama's doing, and it's not all Bush's doing. It's both Democrat's and Republican's who are to blame here. Attmepting to blame one guy and one party is just hate mongering non-sence and you know it.

December 13, 2010 at 6:47 pm |
  7. Smarter than you

Obama agreed to this deal because it was his last chance to get any sort of stimulus through before the repub's take over the house. His adminstration is using this as an opportunity to boost the economy. JC from SC, this only helps to solidify his re-election in 2012. Sometimes you have to look past what appears to be the surface.

December 13, 2010 at 6:32 pm |
  8. Give Me A Break

The money will be borrowed from China. This government is unbelievable. I didn't vote in the mid-term, but I will vote in the Presidential election just to get rid of this wus.

December 13, 2010 at 9:57 pm |
    • Notfooled

Why are you against President Obama? The Repubs held him hostage. The Senate did not have the votes. What was he to do? He did what he could so people could keep their house and put food on the table. What's wrong with that?

December 15, 2010 at 2:58 am |
  9. hsr0601

1. Future lies in Education & Energy.

I guess the economic boom in the Clinton-Gore administration was linked to the third wave of IT industry, rather than the triangulation he pulled off.
    ( And he didn't sell out his core value regarding tax, and so on. )

The forth wave of ET industry, likewise, lies ahead, CA starts to reap the benefits. Regrettably, the reps stand in the way of it.

2. Guess who will have to foot the bill eventually for paying off the rich ?

The rest of folks.
    Wait until the new Congress comes back in 2011 and start looking for ways to cut spending to pay for all this $900 billion. They won't target things that affect corporations or the rich, the entire tab will cost the middle class and the elderly. Social security, Medicare, social services, education, will all be impacted.

3. A one-year reduction in the payroll tax from 6.2 to 4.2 percent will give the reps chance to fight its restoration, endangering Social Security, which the conservative movement has long sought to eradicate.

4. Currently, American businesses are sitting on approximately $2.3 trillion in reserves, which, of course, could be used to create jobs.

For instance, hospitals have serious problems with understaffing, not because of the financial squeeze, but because of the cost reduction.
    ( And the understaffing could spark prohibitive ER visits. )
    In an attempt to defend the prodigious windfall, they resort to using the term of socialism or socialists for reformers.

5. Let me repeat :

Extreme Capitalism failed entirely in 2008.
    From my perspective, Communism & Extreme Capitalism have several characteristics in common :
    (a). Power First, Corruption at the cost of ordinary people !
    (b). They hate competition, accordingly there is no progress.

6. Presently, another Bush-era is threatening health care law.

December 14, 2010 at 2:28 am |
  10. millerbrittney

Very true that major brands do give out samples on their products, search online for "123 Get Samples" we just got ours today. You wont need CC.

December 14, 2010 at 2:33 am |
  11. Heather

I still think it is very misleading to compare Obama's vacations in expensive resort locations, to Bush spending time in his own house! I wonder how many Americans are spending their vacations in their own homes and how many are flying off to expensive resorts in Hawaii, Cape Cod and Maine....

December 14, 2010 at 6:33 am |
  12. Ernie

The main reason why Obama is going to sit down with reporters from stations in Columbus, Ohio, Denver, Des Moines, and Tampa/St. Petersburg is because his is afraid to set down with any of the "Big Name" media. the reporters from reporters from stations in Columbus, Ohio, Denver, Des Moines, and Tampa/St. Petersburg don't ask hard questions all their questions are known as "Caned" questions. Obama already knows what questions will be asked. Who ever is going to watch this interview watch very closely and you will see Obama studder on questions he is trying to answer. Meaning is he can't think and chew gum at the same time. If he didn't have this "news conference" he would be getting out of town like he always does when the "heat" is on.

December 14, 2010 at 9:15 am |
  13. LIZ CARTER in GEORGIA

@seeder, don't give up on OBAMA; the man has been stonewalled ever since he's been in office! I'm 62 years old and I've never seen in my whole life, a president of the UNITED STATES treated this DISRESPECTFUL! He's no whimp! He's finally found out that for him to get anything done on the hill, he has to have it explained out of a white mans mouth for it to even have a chance of succeeding in congress! At least CLINTON is another democrat, and that's what he's supposed to do! HELP HIS FELLOW DEMOCRAT!

December 14, 2010 at 10:44 pm |
  14. LIZ CARTER in GEORGIA

NotFooled; I'm of a family of veterans of foreign wars! My FATHER, 5 UNCLES, I COUSIN, WW2; 2 UNCLES, KOREAN WAR, COUSINS, FRIENDS and HUSBAND VIETNAM WAR and I myself, am a 32 year retired federal employee, OK? I guess I'll have to thank him for his service to 'HIS' country, but that's what his lying, boisterous anger's all about! He's one of the 'good ole boys' who wants HIS country back! (from that black man) We can go out fight and die for it, but it's HIS! TOTAL FACTS IS NOTHING BUT A LYING RACIST PIG!

December 23, 2010 at 9:11 pm |
  15. LIZ CARTER in GEORGIA

@TOTAL FACTS; you wrote me one of your LOUD TERRORISTIC BLOGS, trying to rebutt my comments about the blatant racism that has flared up all over since OBAMA has been in office! YOU told ME, it wasn't about him being black and at the end of all your denial, lies and camouflage, YOU told ME that we were all going to have to make sacrifices! Did you mean everyone except yourself? They had to start somewhere! I'm disabled with osteoarthritis; my husband is a disabled USMC VIETNAM VET with PTSD. MR MILITARY MAN!

December 23, 2010 at 9:44 pm |
  16. LIZ CARTER in GEORGIA

@TOTAL FACTS; I know you must be a lying, racist fool! Too often I've read your references to the OBAMA FAMILYS' personal and physical appearances! You even called THE FIRST LADY 'the ugliest first lady to ever grace the WHITEHOUSE'! THAT REMARK IN ITSELF, IS DISRESPECTFUL TO EVERY PREVIOUS FIRST LADY! THEN, YOU ARE A LIAR! I'm a woman; a heterosexual woman and even I know BEAUTY when I see it! I won't make an UGLY LIST for you, but I'll start you one off; ELEANOR ROOSEVELT; A GODFEARING, BEAUTIFUL SPIRIT!

December 23, 2010 at 10:17 pm |