Hawaii vacation to feature ENTIRE first family
December 20th, 2010

Hawaii vacation to feature ENTIRE first family

HONOLULU (CNN) - Finally, the entire first family will make it to Hawaii for the holidays. Bo, the first family's portugese water dog, has made his debut on the island after complying with the state's stringent animal quarantine rules.

FDOTUS – the First Dog of the United States - arrived on Saturday with First Lady Michelle Obama and daughters Malia and Sasha, according to Janelle Saneishi of the Hawaii Department of Agriculture.

Bo had to go through a rigorous quarantine program in order to meet the state's strict rabies requirements. Hawaii claims to be the only state completely rabies free.

Saneisi says the process for adult dogs takes at least four months prior to their arrival on the island. Puppies take nine months to prepare to meet the requirements. The prerequisites are fairly extensive and include a microchip implant along with the standard series of shots.

Topics: Bo • Hawaii • The Buzz

« Previous entry
  1. LIZ CARTER Iin GEORGIA

It's a small thing, but I've never heard of a famiily dog having to go through such a rigorous medical review and more shots to travel with his family on vacation, going anywhere! When I was young and our father took us on family vacations, there were times that we took our dog! Back then, it was required that we kept our dogs rabies shots updated but that was it. IT SEEMS TO ME THAT, NOT ONLY THE PRESIDENT, BUT THE FIRST DOG IS EVEN BEING TREATED LIKE A SECOND-CLASS DOG AND PUT THROUGH A DOUBLE-STANDARD!

December 20, 2010 at 4:21 pm |
    • Andrew

It's not a double standard. Hawaii is very strict. If you travel to the state all the food from your flight has to be taken to a special trashcan so it will not contaminate the environment. I went last April on a trip from Charlotte and the entire plane had to sign a document stating they were not there to contaminate the fragile environment and didn't have anything agricultural that they were bringing to the islands. My baggage even went through a special scanner to search for food products that could mess their environment up. They were not trying to put anyone to a double standard, but I can see how someone would view this if you have not traveled to Hawaii recently.

December 24, 2010 at 9:24 am |
    • Q

He likes to pretend he was born there. They want us to believe that the black helicopters are not really spraying us with chemicals at night. Learn the truth now. Buy gold and dig your shelter. Watch the Glenn Beck News Show!

December 28, 2010 at 9:26 am |
      • lorilana

Glen Beck needs to have a personal relationship with Jesus Christ-than he will get a halthier attitude and more self-love which will help him find peace without slaming other most of the time.

December 29, 2010 at 7:05 pm |
  2. ed

I wonder if the first family's dog has to go through the same rabies quarantine process and paper work as we all do.
    I ma just wondering!

December 20, 2010 at 8:34 pm |
    • Darkus

Uh no. It's the first family, everything is streamlined and coordinated well in advance. Are you retarded?

December 22, 2010 at 6:24 pm |
  3. Notfooled

@LIZ --Hawaii has never had a case of rabies that's why the strict regulations. I can assure you BO has not been singled out, all dogs go through this before entering Hawaii. No exceptions.

December 21, 2010 at 4:17 am |
  4. Kim

Who gives an F about this Mutt!

December 21, 2010 at 11:04 am |
    • DerrickAnthony

I prefer that 4 legged mutt over you – the two legged mutt any day of the week. Where does one get your mindset? Bring it back, quickly. Why did you bother getting up this morning. You are bitter.

December 24, 2010 at 8:40 am |
    • Sam

Ha! Ha! Ha! Funny!!!!!

December 25, 2010 at 8:34 pm |
  5. LIZ CARTER in GEORGIA

@Kim; It's not a matter of 'Who gives a F about the MUTT'! I was speaking about or questioning a standard or a principle! However, MS THING, I do give a F about all dogs; and have all my life! I've raised a COLLIE, a COCKER SPANIEL-CHIJUAWA, a LHASA APSO, and now I own and have raised and sold AMERICAN STAFFORDSHIRE TERRIERS (The original pit bull) FOR THE LAST 15 YEARS. None of my dogs were mutts, nor is that PORTUGESE WATER DOG owned by the FIRST FAMILY! I BET YOU COULDN'T BUY ONE! Why would you give a F?

December 22, 2010 at 12:21 am |
    • Ang

@ Liz Carter in Georgia, after reading your post are you somehow saying that a dog without a pedigree is not as good as a dog with? I happen to at this time have a dog with papers a mile long and he is a rescue dog just as two previous to him. However I have had dogs with no pedigree that were just as smart and lovable as any dog with. I'm just saying it's not the paperwork that makes the dog so wonderful every dog has virtues of their own that make them special. Just because a dog is a "mutt" the way you referred to a "mutt" is not a bad thing.

December 22, 2010 at 10:03 am |
      • Aarrgghh

Ang: reading comprehension is not your forte, is it?

December 25, 2010 at 8:04 am |
    • PK

Liz, the correct spelling is "Chihuahua" not Chijuawa.

December 29, 2010 at 12:09 am |
    • Howard

Gee Liz, I knew inbreeding was practiced in Georgia, but it sounds like you've moved on to dogs.

December 29, 2010 at 6:34 pm |
  6. LIZ CARTER in GEORGIA

@NotFooled; thanks for clearing that up for me. That's all I needed to know! That BO wasn't being just singled out like his owners are!

December 22, 2010 at 12:26 am |
  7. LIZ CARTER in GEORGIA

@Ang; YOU'RE RIGHT! I'm sorry you got that impression from my comment. I love all dogs, PERIOD! I grew up with 'mutts'! I'm 62 years old! My father got us dogs from the pound! We had plenty of mutts growing up; that's how I aquired such a love for all dogs and all animals! None of them had pedigree; we loved them to death! I was only responding to the womans' comment just above mine. Kim seemed to be 'dissing' the FIRST DOG! I've never heard anyone dismiss any other presidential dog until BO got there!

December 22, 2010 at 2:38 pm |
    • sara

Liz is the great example of the "Dumming Down" of our society...the great U.S., right?

December 23, 2010 at 8:49 am |
      • A. Goodwin

Sarah – No, Liz just seems very passionate about dogs and animals. One might say that you lack intra-personal Intelligence. And I do have to laugh – its dumBing down you fool.

December 23, 2010 at 9:52 am |
      • DerrickAnthony

Sara, you just "DUMBED UP" – which is much worse than 'Dumming down'(as you wrote it) Learn to spell. People like you suck!

December 24, 2010 at 8:45 am |
  8. MEC

The hell with the dog. I am more concerned about what it costs me for the Obama's to constantly engage in their nomadic ventures.

I pray that one day the Obama's will visit a country that is so appealing to them they will stay and never return. The nation can deal with Biden; he breathes, walks and talks, but he is brain-dead.

December 22, 2010 at 8:31 pm |
    • A. Goodwin

MEC – You do realize that your messiah Bush took more vacation time (at the taxpayers expense) than pretty much any president in history...right? I would rather have my president take a break (and we all know that while he will be phyiscally in HI..he is still on the job) and refresh himself. Let me guess, Scrooge, you're not taking any time off these holiday's to be with your family? Heck, my kids have a whole week off themselves to rest...enjoy their family...and be kids. I would place bets that Obama has more brains in his pinky than you do your whole being.

December 23, 2010 at 1:38 pm |
      • Aarrgghh

He was on vacation just over 4 years of his 8

December 25, 2010 at 8:07 am |
  9. LIZ CARTER in GEORGIA

@A. Goodwin; Thanks for realizing and defending my point. (FOR ALERT WATCHMEN ONLY) I do love animals, but the point I was making went deeper than that. I've seen so many racist antics played; and double-standards thrown at OBAMA; not like any other president; that I was only citing a possible analysis, of maybe the same thing happening to the FIRST DOG! That's all. NotFooled explained it to me. However, I do apologize to@sara, who's the REAL TRUE EXAMPLE of the 'Dumming Down' of our society! D-U-M-B-I-N-G!

December 23, 2010 at 7:44 pm |
  10. LIZ CARTER in GEORGIA

@A. Goodwin; also, I'd like to thank you for your truthful, intelligently worded comments! We need more brave soldiers like you, who aren't afraid of their shadows and will PUT THE TRUTH ON OUT HERE! There are quite a few of us on here, but not near enough. Some KNOW the truth; but won't STAND for it. My parents taught me that, if I didn't 'STAND' for something, I'd 'FALL' for anything; and I have watched and found that to be the truth, MOST OF THE TIMES! Speak up folks! The word IS mightier than the sword!

December 23, 2010 at 8:05 pm |
  11. LIZ CARTER in GEORGIA

@Andrew; thankyou! NotFooled explained it to me earlier. I already acknowledged it.

December 24, 2010 at 5:34 pm |
  12. Wally

The Obama's have had more vacation time this year than I've had in the last 5 years, but I guess if the US was paying for my vacations I'd take 4 or 5 weeks a year to travel all over the country.

December 25, 2010 at 7:54 pm |
  13. LIZ CARTER in GEORGIA

@Wally, PRESIDENT OBAMA has also worked harder than any other incoming president too! THE GOP AND YOU EVIL, HATEFUL, JEALOUS DEMONS HAVE TRIED YOUR DAMNDEST TO RESIST, DENOUNCE, AND DISMISS HIM AS AN EFFICIENT PRESIDENT ANYWAY, SO HE MAY AS WELL STAY ON VACATION! YOU DON'T WANT TO HELP OR WORK WITH HIM! If what you say IS true, and I DON'T concur with your count, I say he deserves every minute of rest he can get! WHILE YOU'RE KEEPING COUNT OF HIS VACATIONS, DO YOUR RESEARCH AND SUBTRACT THE WORKING ONES!

December 26, 2010 at 1:08 pm |
  14. LIZ CARTER in GEORGIA

To all of you who continue to claim that WE're paying for all of his vacations, you only prove yourselves as the jealous, hateful lunatics that you are! TRUE! There IS and always has been monies set aside for the maintenance of governmental vehicles and functions! AIRFORCE ONE has been used for just about all previous presidents and their families to go back and forth. WE PAID FOR IT THEN! NO REAL COMPLAINTS DID I HEAR, EITHER! IT WAS JUST CHALKED UP AS A PRESIDENTIAL 'PERK'! OH, BUT HOW THAT HAS CHANGED!

December 26, 2010 at 1:23 pm |
  15. LIZ CARTER in GEORGIA

As soon as a BLACK PRESIDENT and his family becomes the FIRST FAMILY, and has access to the presidential perks, as well as AIRFORCE ONE, Oh, now it's a BIG PROBLEM! It costs too much! THEY NEED TO STAY HOME! YET YOU DEMONS WANT THEM OUT OF THE WHITEHOUSE! Here's a man, who's pulling out all stops, trying to SAVE the nation as best he knows how; and you don't want him using AIRFORCE ONE?!? WE PAID FOR THE ONES TO FLY IN IT THAT BROUGHT THE NATION TO IT'S KNEES! OH, AND IT'S NOT ABOUT HIM BEING BLACK, HUH?

December 26, 2010 at 1:39 pm |
  16. LIZ CARTER in GEORGIA

PRESIDENT BARACK OBAMA IS THE TOP FEDERAL EMPLOYEE AND OFFICIAL. IN SHORT, YOU SILLY PEOPLE, THE MAN 'WORKS FOR THE GOVERNMENT'! I TOO WORKED FOR THE GOVERNMENT! I'M NOW A RETIRED FEDERAL EMPLOYEE. WE DID GET A SALARY AND ACRUED LEAVE TIME; ANNUAL FOR VACATIONS, AND SICK LEAVE FOR ILLNESS, EVERY PAYDAY! WHEN WE WENT ON VACATION WE PAID FOR THE WHOLE THING; HOTELS, FOOD, GAS, CLOTHES AND EVERYTHING! We weren't the PRESIDENT, so we just couldn't use AIRFORCE ONE! OBAMA has to pay for everything else, HATERS!

December 26, 2010 at 1:55 pm |
  17. Q

The fact is, Hawii is not even part of the United States. Read your constitution. Get the chemicals out of the tap water and stop forcing us to be injected with socialist chemicals at birth (vacines).

December 28, 2010 at 9:30 am |
    • Notfooled

Take your meds.

December 29, 2010 at 3:06 am |
  18. needaleader

Geez, leave it to CNN to find a way to bring a dog, an Hawaiian vacation, and rabies into a race baiting discussion. CNN definitely knows it's place in politics.

December 28, 2010 at 10:55 am |
  19. getoutofmypocket

Geez, leave it to CN N to find a way to bring a dog, an Hawaiian vacation, and rabies into a r a c e b ait ing discussion. CN N definitely knows it's place in politics.

December 28, 2010 at 11:03 am |
  20. Hmmmm

Could it be to pick up that brand new birth certificate????

December 28, 2010 at 6:27 pm |
    • Notfooled

Why when he has the original? Just ask Neil Abercrombie the new governor of Hawaii who knew his parents when Barack was born. They even brought him to school. Or ask the former Republican governor Linda Lingle who saw the documents. If that is not enough back in the sixties we had birth announcements in the local newspaper and many of us who were born then have it and Barack's name is in the paper. So give it up.

December 29, 2010 at 3:15 am |
      • Hmmmm

My wife just found out that the DHS modified her birth certificate as to who the father was NEVER notified her and the refuse to change it back. NO court order nor explication that makes sense until now I was not a birther but it takes them this long something is wrong.

December 29, 2010 at 4:52 am |
  21. LIZ CARTER in GEORGIA

@needaleader and @getoutofmypocket; Hmmmm, ONE-IN-THE-SAME! CNN knows, now is the time; they have faltered on that 'inevitability' often, but most honest, intelligent AMERICANS in every venure knows that the time IS now! Until race REALLY is a thing of the past, there will always be racist antics played somewhere in AMERICA; whether it's covert or overt. BOTTOMLINE, race baiting is going to be a problem! HONEST DIALOGUE IS GOING TO BE THE START TO A NEW BEGINING! An Hawaiian and Rabies? SEE WHAT I MEAN?

December 28, 2010 at 11:17 pm |
  22. getoutofmypocket

@Liz – I used both 'needaleader' and 'getoutofmypocket' because one was being looked at by the moderator for over an hour, so, out of frustration to get my post through, I tried another name, which also was looked at a long time by the moderator. That was the reality of why a same comment was posted under two names. I do not understand what you 'saw' as the reason for two names as same post.

December 29, 2010 at 10:59 am |
  23. Howard

When multitudes of Americans first asked to see Obama's birth certificate and his college records, why didn't the Obama administration furnish these document then? Why have they blocked the public's request for these documents for over TWO YEARS ??? Now, even if they come up with some sort of documents, it's going to look fishy ... like maybe the ink will still be wet on the newly found documentation.

December 29, 2010 at 1:57 pm |
  24. LIZ CARTER in GEORGIA

@Howard; you sound so stupid. Barack Obama presented his credentials, birth certificate, high school diploma, college degrees, physical report, address, probably his drivers licence, his completed application for candidacy to run for PRESIDENT of the UNITED STATES, just like Hillary, John McCain, and the rest of the candidates did! His creds were evidently satisfactory to the vetting board, so what is up with you 'numb jobs'? He's NOT obligated to INDIVIDUALLY, validate himself to each and every clown!

December 29, 2010 at 3:06 pm |
    • Howard

@Liz; you don't just sound stupid, you obviously are stupid. Even after this corrupt, lying, inept president has ignored the will of the people, ruined our economy, weakened our national security, put our national energy in jeopardy, and polarized our populace ... fools like you, with BLIND faith in an unqualified leader, whose main qualifications include 20 years in Rev. Wright's anti-American church, and voting present 125+ times in the Senate, continue to defend and support him, no matter how badly he does his job. People like you are dangerously gullible, and threaten the future of America. I guess in Georgia inbreeding is still practiced.

December 29, 2010 at 6:30 pm |
      • lorilana

How many years have you heard hate messages given by your pastor. However, you should listen to the whole sermon instead of the loop CNN kept playing, trying to get the people not to vote for the President. You seem to have some pent up anger that is creating some serious faulty recall memories of who creataed the mess the country is in. Try being a kinder person!

December 29, 2010 at 7:20 pm |
  25. needaleader

@liz, if you take the time to reread your posts, I think you will see what many readers see of you: a person blinded by so much rage and anger, that they could not see any truth if it was there to be seen. You may very well be correct in what you say, but you are so angry and full of rage when you speak, that I for one, could not accept what you say as a truth. Anyone speaking with that kind of rage has too much invested in an outcome – whether the outcome is true or not.

December 29, 2010 at 5:33 pm |
  26. LIZ CARTER in GEORGIA

@PK; Thanks. Please forgive me! My big misspell. I should have looked it up, but I didn't, because I had no dictionary in my car. I knew it looked wrong, but I let it go anyway. Thanks again.

December 29, 2010 at 6:21 pm |
  27. LIZ CARTER in GEORGIA

@neadaleader; you may be right! I may be angry at times; but it's not a 'blinded' anger or rage. It's more of a 20/20 vision anger and when I read what some RACISTS say in their blogs; watch and listen closely to the 'doctored up' perceptions CNN, FOX, MSNBC and some local newsstations, purposely thrust upon the masses, demeaning OBAMA as PRESIDENT even as a citizen, reporting whatever he does, that's even GOOD, with a negative drag on it! Yes, I do get angry with cowards who like to hide under politics!

December 29, 2010 at 6:53 pm |
    • lorilana

I agree with you. I wish that just for two weeks the media would take a positive attitude about the President. He had a big mess to handle. While I do not think people should get a rubber stamp, but an even playing field would have been nice.

December 29, 2010 at 7:02 pm |
  28. lorilana

I want to ask why all the hating and put downs. You can only love and appreicate others as much as you love and appreiciate yourself. Everyone deserves a break. He took trips the Ha before he was president and he will take trips after his presidency ends in 2016. I often think of Moses and the trials he had leading the Chosen ones away from thier slavery. The people railed against his leadership. The people under twenty-one made it to the promise land. However, Moses survived all those who railed against him, so will the President. II love how he is trying to help children. I see hungry, sick, emotional abused, and uneducated children every day. He knows that group of people under twenty-one must become successful–if Americans are to remain health, wealthy and strong

December 29, 2010 at 6:57 pm |
  29. needaleader

I think if you look back at comments through the years concerning every politician, especially POTUS', the media treats them all at one time or another with the 'bulls eye' approach. The lower the approval rating of the politician, the bigger the bulls eye in the media's mind. It don't matter if the politician is black or white. The media gets its bills paid by keeping its ear to the ground and writing accordingly. Obama could do no wrong in the beginning and the media sang 'Hail to the Chief' in unison whenever he appeared. After the last election, however, the media is showing its cantankerous side. Do your nerves a favor and at least to some degree, accept it.

December 29, 2010 at 7:12 pm |
  30. LIZ CARTER in GEORGIA

@needaleader; the only thing I will say is that I might be a little sorry if my truth has offended anyone, but I have no other recourse but to put it on out there and let the chips fall where they may! I was taught that conviction is the beginning of surrender, surrendering is the death of denial and I'm not going to sit back and just 'drink the kool-aid' that this vendictive agenda against this man is just about his politics! Many blacks and whites know it! I WILL try to stop talking so loud though, ok?

December 29, 2010 at 7:14 pm |
  31. Escuela de Poker

buenos mi nombre es Ana y creo que su blog es muy bueno, bon trabajo hay gustad mucho!:)
    Adios
    excusa mi mal espanol!Sólo te falta un botón de traducción el resto tudo ok!

June 19, 2011 at 9:26 pm |