December 27th, 2010

President Obama supportive of second chance for Michael Vick

Honolulu, Hawaii (CNN) – President Obama believes in second chances. The president recently called Philadelphia Eagles owner Jeff Lurie and during the conversation the two discussed Michael Vick and the fresh start the quarterback has received while at the team, according to the White House.

“He of course condemns the crimes that Michael Vick was convicted of but,” says White House Deputy Press Secretary Bill Burton, “as he's said previously, he does think that individuals who have paid for their crimes should have an opportunity to contribute to society again.”

According to a report from SI.com, the president spoke passionately to the Eagles’ Lurie about giving prisoners a “fair second chance” once released.

Michael Vick spent 18 months in jail after pleading guilty to running a dog fighting ring in 2007. After a suspension by the NFL, Vick was reinstated to the league, and picked up by the Philadelphia Eagles.

Asked if President Obama would welcome Michael Vick around the first family’s dog, Bo, the White House has not yet responded. According to the terms of Vick’s release, he is not allowed to own a dog until 2012, when his supervised release ends and has expressed his desire to own one.

Topics: Bo • President Obama • White House

Next entry »
  1. Jim

I am *sickened* by this news. I campaigned for Obama, but he keeps making the worst decisions...he has two left feet. I like the policies, but the more I get to know him through his actions and statements, the more I dislike him. Really, *Really* let down.

December 27, 2010 at 10:21 pm |
  2. Pale Horse

I thought the President praised the Philadelphia Eagles organization for giving people second chances???????

December 28, 2010 at 2:09 am |
  3. NoSurprise

if vick wasn't black, obama and the liberals wouldn't be praising him. they'd be accusing him of cruelty to and torturing and killing animals for fun and gambling. of course, if vick wasn't black, he'd have been kicked out of the nfl for good and made an example of. look at what a hard time the media is giving brett favre, for example. in any case, the double standard continues. evidently it's okay to torture and kill animals, you should be given a second chance. especially if you are black.

December 28, 2010 at 4:15 am |
  4. bobby

Where I'm from people fight dogs all the time and the police do nothing. It is not a matter of race. If Vick wasn't famous, no one would have ever known. It's all about his image.

December 28, 2010 at 8:12 am |
  5. d woods

December 28, 2010 at 10:28 am |
  6. d woods

Brett is not criticized as you say the media does. Vick on the other hand was a poster child for the media so get off of your black verse white thing. Please find another real issue to talk about. Oh by the way everyone deservers a second chance this is America right?

December 28, 2010 at 10:31 am |
  7. Kevin

Vick is Black that is the only reason Obama did what he did. It's his bro we all know that. VIck is a jerk always had been and always will be. He's the victim. Well too bad they didn't teach him a lesson when he was behind bars. Would Obama do this for a White guy are you kidding. No he wouldn't.

December 28, 2010 at 6:23 pm |
  8. LIZ CARTER in GEORGIA

@NoSurprise; I, too was very angry with VICK when he and his torturous, dog fighting, dog killing ring was caught or uncovered. I'm THE animal lover, especially DOGS! I was HAPPY that he ended up loosing his job, his endorsements, most of his money, his time, his integrity, his character, many of his fans and supporters, and literally LIFE as he knew it; however, the man paid DEARLY for that grave mistake, APOLOGIZED FOR HIS STUPIDITY, AND INHUMANE TREATMENT OF THOSE ANIMALS, WITH GREAT HUMILITY AND SHAME!

December 28, 2010 at 6:48 pm |
    • Myra

09.15.10 at 1:46 amBig HankHow much longer are we going to hate this guy? He made a huge and ihanmnue mistake, showed lack of class, humanity, sound judgement and flat out decency. But he paid dairly for these mistakes and from what I hear is trying to rebuild his life. Since when did we become so judgmental and self rightous that we can't give another person a second chance? Not to diminish at all what he did; but we have murderes, child molesters, wife beaters, drug dealers/addicts, cheaters, hypocrits and other filt still roaming in celebrity, sports, entertainment, political and even religious circles? Come on, he is not running for office or anything like that; whatever he accomplishes on the football field, should only matter to his team and fans. But it will not change nor influence our lives one bit, which is more than I can say for some other scum who have received a second chance!! Let's get it together now, and let's be real here.

August 1, 2012 at 1:36 am |
  9. LIZ CARTER in GEORGIA

@NoSurprise; I HAVE FORGIVEN VICK! I BELIEVE GOD HAS FORGIVEN HIM! WHY CAN'T YOU? I wonder when does he get through paying for his GREIVOUS SIN for some of you! If I ever describe to you my love for dogs and especially pit bulls, because I own two right now; and have owned that breed for the last 16 years, words could not explain how I GRIEVED inside, deep into my heart for the thought of what VICK and his crew did to those dogs. IF I CAN FORGIVE HIM, THEN IT'S TIME FOR YOU AND EVERYONE ELSE TO DO THE SAME!

December 28, 2010 at 7:12 pm |
  10. LIZ CARTER in GEORGIA

@NoSurprise; Now since I see you have decided to play the race card against VICK; if that's what you TRULY BELIEVE, I don't know what planet you came from, because the whole world knows that's not the USUAL! The HONEST world knows that it always goes the other way around! THE BLACK MAN WILL ALWAYS CATCH MORE HELL FOR THE COMMISSION OF THE SAME CRIME, COMMITED BY A WHITE MAN! So I say, if what you're saying is true, WELL IT'S ABOUT TIME A BLACK MAN, WHO HAS PAID HIS DUES, IS BEING SHOWN FAVOR BY THIS SYSTEM!

December 28, 2010 at 7:41 pm |
  11. LIZ CARTER in GEORGIA

@NoSurprise; quite frankly, I'm SURPRISED that you and anyone else who goes along with that, 'if VICK wasn't black' thing, could even have the audacity or gall to GO THERE! I suppose WE could then say, SINCE BEN ROTHLEISBERGER IS WHITE, he's been literally exunerated from the felonious crimes of RAPING two young WOMEN! THOSE ARE JUST THE ONES WHO CAME FORTH! Had that been the BLACK MAN, VICK, he would've been damn near CASTRATED! Both crimes are TERRIBLE; but which is worse? FIGHTING DOGS OR RAPING WOMEN?

December 28, 2010 at 8:11 pm |
  12. gooddog101

Correct me if i am wrong, but the one thing Vick said before the trial was "can't wait for the truth to come out". But it did not. Vick got time off for participating in drug rehab, as if that had anything to do with the horrible things they did to the dogs. Did anyone forget that Vick's thugs would steal dogs, break their lega and pitch then in the pen with the Pit Bulls. How many people in that area had dogs mising that related to this? Tieing the female dogs to the rape stand, and correct me if i am wrong, but did they not have the dog with the face torn off that they kept around for breeding hostile pups?.
    Soome think, it's just a dog, What if it were little children? If this was children instead of dogs, would we (OBAMA) be so quick to request forgiveness. Oh, he just raped some little girls, but he did his time, let him watch the Obama kids for the weekend.Vick is sorry because he got caught. I am sure he would prefer KEEPING IT REAL with his thug buds doing what he got caught doing. If this were immigrant workers having roster fights, we would want them to be put away but because he plays football..god forbid, the law prevent us from seeing a thug running on the field with a ball.I stand behind out current president in all that he does, but this..the decision to support this THUG that gets off because he plays football. Does Obama also stand behind giving a second chance for Billy Joe Grigg at Conklin Dairy?

December 28, 2010 at 10:47 pm |
  13. Damon Weber

Another take on this: http://winopso.org/2010/12/29/preach-on/

December 29, 2010 at 7:55 am |
    • Auth

Well. This was not what I expected. I agree with the uniedlrning theme of redemption and forgiveness. I too, as probably everyone reading this has done something that they regret and knew was a bad decision. You are quite vague as to what you did that has you feeling like you can relate to Vick. I am an uber nosy person so you know I'm dying of curiosity but I won't pry:) .bottom line: good piece, light on the details but your obviously not a gut spiller, and I still hate Vick because what he did was not a moment in time it was an in-depth set up specifically arranged to torture and kill animals. He had no sympathy, compassion or care for them and only showed remorse once caught. He was weak, easily lead by others and full of excuses when it came out. Although its good his attempt at redemption inspires you, trust and believe that on the scale of what you could have done per your scant details compared to him, there is no contest.

July 31, 2012 at 12:49 am |
  14. LIZ CARTER in GEORGIA

@gooddog101; YES! Suppose, Suppose, Suppose! Those hypotheticals you mentioned were NOT the cases, though! It's easy to hypothetically elevate a crime to a SUPPOSE! Yes, all of the things that you detailed, that were alleged, through the media to have actually happened were horrendous; and I personally was sick to hear them; but HE PAID FOR IT! You people REALLY seem to have another agenda when it comes to BLACK SPORTSMEN, PERIOD! You're sick of these black people making ALL OF THAT MONEY, PLAYING BALL!

December 29, 2010 at 12:49 pm |
  15. LIZ CARTER in GEORGIA

@Kevin; I don't agree with you one little bit! I believe in my whole heart that BARACK OBAMA would have done the VERY SAME THING, had VICK been a white man, who played good football and got caught in the same crime! OBAMA really IS a man, who tries his BEST to LIVE, GOVERN and FLY above race, as many others try to CLAIM they do! He hasn't been resciprocated to, with the same mindset from many of his peers, fellow AMERICANS, and constituents, though! STOP YOUR ENVIOUS, HATEFUL ASSUMPTIONS! Live and let live!

December 29, 2010 at 1:22 pm |