January 8th, 2011

President Obama's statement on shooting in Arizona

Written statement by the President as released by the White House

This morning, in an unspeakable tragedy, a number of Americans were shot in Tucson, Arizona, at a constituent meeting with Congresswoman Gabrielle Giffords. And while we are continuing to receive information, we know that some have passed away, and that Representative Giffords is gravely wounded.

We do not yet have all the answers. What we do know is that such a senseless and terrible act of violence has no place in a free society. I ask all Americans to join me and Michelle in keeping Representative Giffords, the victims of this tragedy, and their families in our prayers.

Topics: President Obama

« Previous entry
  1. Liz Carter in Georgia

Well, the families of the victims in the shooting in Arizona have my deepest, deepest sympathy. However, I was expecting something like this to happen. I knew that the mindset of this natiion was headed back to the 4Os and the 50s with it's racism and bigotry! Ever since BARACK OBAMA started running for president, that damn racist demon raise his ugly head up out of his sleeping coffin and started spewing poison. He poisoned DC, the blogs, the media, especially certain news and radio stations. HORRENDOUS!

January 8, 2011 at 8:49 pm |
  2. Jay in NC

Liz, It is a real stretch to think that racism had any thing to do with this. I know that you are not much on facts but here is one you can not ignore. The Representative, Judge and the Suspect are all white. The suspect has not cooperated with police, so we do not know what his motive is. If you are suggesting that because the suspect is white and he harbors ill will with the president for being black, then you are the racist. That is how you view the world, any one can read your post and see that. I am afraid that the only 'ugly head' that has raised is yours.

January 9, 2011 at 2:19 am |
  3. Liz Carter in Georgia

I point to what I see as bigotry and events spawned from racism! Most of the time, I'm not speaking to what's visible or on top of the event; what's shown or told to us through the media. I'm looking at the 'root cause' of the evilness of the event. I'm aware of the 'fact' that yesterdays' heinous crime was committed by a white man, against good, intelligent, hardworking-for-our country white people, who seemed to be working for 'change'! Many who're supportive of OBAMAs' 'CHANGE' agenda may be in trouble!

January 9, 2011 at 1:28 pm |
  4. Liz Carter in Georgia

I have a hard time believing that it's all just about OBAMAS' political views, too! For most of the uniformed, unlearned, politically uncaring, it has to do with hatred and just plain bigotry towards this black man working to implement 'CHANGE'! Call me racist if you like; I really don't care, because as I said before, that's exactly what racists do; I expect the script to be flipped! Had this been a white man trying to implement most of this 'change', we wouldn't be going through all of this 'lynching'!

January 9, 2011 at 1:57 pm |
  5. Liz Carter in Georgia

It's so sad that the innocent, little 9 year old girl who was there to meet REP GABRIELLE GIFFORDS, a government person and to learn about government had to suffer and die because of the whitewashed, smokescreened, hatred, bigotry and vendictiveness; that's snaking through this country like 'ANACONDA'! Rather than for us to really try to address it; sit down and reason together; make amends whenever possible; and start REALLY trying to work together as 'one nation under GOD', we sit up and say it ain't so!

January 9, 2011 at 2:14 pm |
  6. Jay in NC

Only someone as arrogant as Barry would think that this little girl died because of his skin color. That is the problem isn't it, it is always about Barry, poor Barry. He has no compassion for others, no empathy. And when something happens to someone else he blames his skin color. To Barry there are two types of people, those that love and adore him and those that hate his skin. How sad it must be to live in such a shallow mind. Never seeing beyond race and only interested in your self.

January 9, 2011 at 2:36 pm |
  7. Liz Carter in Georgia

The PRESIDENT, Barack Obama; your PRESIDENT 'Barry', didn't say it, I'm sure he hasn't even thought about it like that; if he had, I'm sure he would be the last to 'arrogantly' say it! NO! He didn't say it! He doesn't have to; IT'S MY OWN PERSONAL OPINION! I SAID IT!!!

January 9, 2011 at 2:57 pm |