Obama and Jeb Bush – a bipartisan push for education
President Obama and former Florida Governor Jeb Bush at Miami Central High School
March 4th, 2011

Obama and Jeb Bush – a bipartisan push for education

MIAMI (CNN) - The old adage that politics makes strange bedfellows will be alive and well Friday when President Obama and former Florida Governor Jeb Bush make a joint appearance in the sunshine state. The two are joining forces to discuss education as the president begins a month-long public push for the country to "out-educate" the world.

Both men will appear at Central High School in Miami to tout the school’s turnaround in performance. For Bush it’s an opportunity to highlight an issue he championed in office, and continues to do so in private life. For Obama, he gets a picture of bi-partisan support for an issue he has repeatedly stressed is in desperate need of reform if the country wants to lead the 21st century.

The image of the two together may seem somewhat unlikely with Bush once assailing Obama's stance toward business as "a way to attack capitalism," and for Obama who spent his presidential campaign verbally excoriating the record of Bush's brother, and is in the midst of attempting a re-write of "No Child Left Behind," the centerpiece of the Bush administrations education agenda.

Political differences aside, both camps maintain the appearance is a natural fit. Bush "has a record of being engaged in and committed to education reform. Obviously, this is a high priority for the President and he believes very strongly that education reform is neither a Democratic, nor a Republican issue. And I think his pursuit of reform has demonstrated that," White House Press Secretary Jay Carney said in a recent briefing announcing the appearance. "His reforms already have generated a great deal of bipartisan support, and I think that's reflective of the fact that Americans believe it ought to be a priority," Carney went on to say.

"Florida has gone from being at the bottom of the nation to a national model for education reform," a spokeswoman for Bush said in a statement to CNN. "He believes education reform is an area where both parties can put students before politics to find common ground."

Central, a chronically failing school, implemented a turnaround model for the school that included firing its principal, and over half its teaching staff, while adding after-school instruction in reading and math, as well as introducing other innovative teaching models for technology and financial literacy. The school has improved its graduation rate over the past 5 years from 36 percent to 63 percent.

The U.S. Department of Education recently awarded Central $784,700 in School Improvement Grant funds for its turnaround efforts. The money came from a $3.5 billion program at the Education Department that distributes the funds to states to give to schools that work to turn around a failing model of operation. Central was one of the lowest 19 persistently under achieving schools in the Miami-Dade school district.

Before his remarks to the school, Obama, along with Bush and Education Secretary Duncan paid a visit to one of the school's technology labs where students had created computer programs, as well as a robot that could pick up and transport donuts. "I could not be prouder," Obama said as he posed for photos with the students.

This will not be the first time Bush and Obama have met. Obama met with Bush, and his father, former President George H.W. Bush in the Oval Office in early 2009, and hosted the two again at the White House last month when Obama awarded the elder Bush the Presidential Medal of Freedom, the nation's highest civilian honor.

The image of bi-partisanship will end as the Obama's motorcade leaves the school. He is set to attend two fundraisers in Miami this evening for Democratic Senator Bill Nelson, and the Democratic Senatorial Campaign Committee before flying back to Washington.

Topics: Education • President Obama • The News

1. jeff, alabama

The first two things we have
    to do to out perform the rest of
    the world in education is:
    Number 1 – Be able to fire bad
    teachers no matter how long they
    have been in the school system.
    Number 2 – Be allowed to discipline
    students without the threat of lawsuits
    filed by the parents who don't discipline
    their kids at home.
    With out doing these two things we
    are kidding ourselves about any other
    ideas being viable.

March 4, 2011 at 11:28 am |
    • ThinkAgain

I agree that we have to be able to fire teachers when needed – and plenty of school districts do (my mother-in-law is on a school board in Southern California, and they have done just that; so don't kid yourself that it isn't happening).

Regarding disciplining kids: Please clarify your remarks. If you're suggesting that teachers should be able to beat on kids if they don't behave, you're dead wrong. (Sounds like your idea of parenting is pretty backward, too.)

What we have in our district is, starting in Kindergarten, children are taught to be safe, responsible, respectful and kind – with zero tolerance for bullying. As these children advance through school, the upper grades are seeing less of the bullying and violence problems than in the past. Things are perfect, but creating expectations from the get-go and following through, does make a very real and positive difference.

March 4, 2011 at 3:14 pm |
      • Skeeve

I am sorry, but you live on some rosy planet. What most kids are taught is that no matter WHAT they do they are still very special little darlings and they can continue to do whatever they because they are so special. They are also taught that because they are so special their opinion, however ignorant and uninformed, is valuable and important. They are taught that they need to "think critically" without stressing that in order to think critically you need to know what to think about.
        As for not disciplining kids, with all due respect what instruments are available to teacher in modern American schools to deal with kids who do not respond to verbal persuasion? Suspension? Big deal; I had so fun in that class before you suspended me but guess what NOW I will have even more fun at home.
        Detention? Have you ever seen what kids do (or rather don't) in detention? Hey, if I could sit and this "detention" and read my books I would spend in detention all my school.
        So, what else? You want to mention police records? For a number of kids who has them it is a badge of honor.

March 4, 2011 at 7:40 pm |
      • Gaylon Barrow

You ARE SICK Man. It does not start in kindergarten. It starts at home and should end there. Teachers ARE HIRED TO TEACH NOT TO SEPERATE THE BULLYS ARE THE IDIOTS PICKING ON GIRLS WITH THEIR FOUR LETTER WORDS. NOBODY at school will or can do anything because they're scared they will get fired and have now for over 20 years. A certain group of people has seen to that. No one can do corporal punishment on any of the thugs that should have been reprimanded before they started to school.. But since grandmother or Auntie has had to raise them don't expect that happening. Now you people are calling for the teacher's head. Shame, shame, shame. What these big bullys need is about four years in military service. They can't whip everyone there.

March 5, 2011 at 2:55 am |
  2. larry

Education is fine but the type of education needs to be considered. Academic education has to be supported by trade and skill education. There can only be so many chiefs. There has to be some indians. This country was founded on the people being willing to get their hands dirty to get the job done. Now it seems that most want a white collar job and will not accept a manual labor job. This is to be expected as young people are continually being told that they have to get an academic education and white collar job or they are going to be a failure. The parents must recognize also that even though they want their children to be at the top there are just so many positions at the top and some have to accept lesser positions.

March 4, 2011 at 11:37 am |
    • Latrice

I think I understand your point, but your pep talk to children should consist of a bit more than "reach for the shelf, not the stars"...It's kind of, off putting.

March 4, 2011 at 4:13 pm |
    • Cynthia L.

Not all people need to work as bosses or employees. There are many jobs that can be done with one person doing the work. I fit in that category although, I have worked as an employee and worked with people under me. But, I do my best work on my own because it doesn't require me to do someone else's thing. I am a Professional Artist who works where ever I want because it's a matter of very portable art supplies. But, and this is the part that kept me from knowing that I could do it, I have to say, because my parents didn't know the opportunities a writer, an artist, a motorhead, or whatever could have the same opportunities to make a living, I followed their advice and spent years working at things I hated because it was a paycheck. I think schooling sometimes forces you into things that are a mis-fit for the student. However, you still need to have respect taught by your parents toward your teachers who sometimes open up a world to you that you never knew existed. That your parents never knew existed. Education can teach you things that will help you to survive but, also tap an unknown talent. The sparking of something sustaining and rewarding. I have had to fall back sometimes on the things I learned that weren't as satisfying to make a living but, looking back I wonder how much further along I might have gotten if I had set on a path more to what I loved and developed it more throughly if I had the encouragement that it could be a career. I thank God for my teachers, although some did not deserve praise of any sort.

August 21, 2012 at 1:24 am |
  3. shoegazer

Waiting for Superman.........

March 4, 2011 at 11:42 am |
    • ThinkAgain

Diane Ravitch, "The Death and Life of the Great American School System: How Testing and Choice Are Undermining Education"

March 4, 2011 at 3:17 pm |
  4. Marcel

Should we not EXPECT politicians to work together to solve problems? Why does the expected need to be represented in terms like 'strange bedfellows'? Instead of pushing them apart we should encourage the obvious – get stuff done!

March 4, 2011 at 11:45 am |
  5. pazke

Oh, Jeff, it's about so much more than that.

March 4, 2011 at 12:40 pm |
  6. williefloyd

Parents need to begin parenting rather than leaving basic parenting to teachers. As a former PTA pres. I was amazed to see teachers dealing with things parents had neglected. I was also dismayed at the lack of parents who never showed up for meetings and non-working mothers who never had "time" for any volunteering.

March 4, 2011 at 12:45 pm |
    • ThinkAgain

I agree! In my own experience as a parent, I am amazed by how many parents don't step up to help their children and expect it all to happen at school. Teachers present concepts and do what they can in class, but it's called "homework" for a reason: Parents need to be involved in helping their children understand and learn more thoroughly what's taught in school; they also need to take care of their children so that they are ready for school and able to learn.

And as a community, those of us who can, need to help those who are struggling.

We rise and sink together.

March 4, 2011 at 3:20 pm |
  7. jim

Jeb, what was your brother talking about in 2004....

George W. Bush's stance on housing during the 2004 Republican Convention Acceptance Speech

This speech was delivered at the 2004 Republican National Convention on September 2, 2004 when George W. Bush officially accepted the Republican nomination to run for President.

"Another priority for a new term is to build an ownership society, because ownership brings security, and dignity, and independence. Thanks to our policies, homeownership in America is at an all-time high. Tonight we set a new goal: seven million more affordable homes in the next 10 years so more American families will be able to open the door and say welcome to my home."

I just read this on another news site ....

Recent price data show home values at nearly their lowest levels in the postbubble era, and a coming tide of foreclosures means prices will drop further. Seven million families have lost their homes so far, and another three million foreclosures are expected through 2012.

Sounds about right. I wonder what these policies were that put so many people into homes they couldn't afford?

Jeb, please explain if you can. We're wating.

March 4, 2011 at 1:04 pm |
    • Gaylon Barrow

Jeb doesn't have to explain. Here we go again with stup[id Democrats trying to lay the blame on Republicans. First place George didn't have a thing to do with Fannie Mae and the housing market. Bill Clinton did. He created programs that would house millions of people so as to push the economy forward. This they did knowing all the time that the qualifying officials knew the people could ill afford the payments on the housing. Then the 7 years of Democrat Rule four under Bush and near three under Obama has not helped matters. ignorance begots ignorance and ranting and raving curse words at people like Palin, Huckabee and any other GOP person does not solve the problem. The problem is spending. In families with homes like government under Obama. You can not outspend your budget. If you do consequences wil befall. Losing a home is far better than losing a country which Obama desires. if you think different then you are ignorant person I believe you to be. After being a Democrat for 50 years. After 6 months of Obama, Reid, and Pelosi I found I was in the wrong party. I still had morals, I still believed in God, I still believed in our military and the fact we could win wars if the darn public AND THE LIBERAL MEDIA STAYED AT HOME. The only thing I see now is a bunch of losers running their filthy mouths condemning people that they couldn't even shine their shoes for. If you think the GOP is to blame for all our troubles then you haven't seen nothing yet. Wait until the fall out of Obama's spending and his little absurd Obamacare hits.

March 4, 2011 at 3:42 pm |
      • Cynthia L.

Excuse me? You forget George Bush was big on talk and not big on following through when it came to education. Saying grandiose things, starting programs that were never funded or, even tested for their feasibility and leaving a gaping hole between the partnership between Government and its citizens. Dumping his failure and laziness on our teachers. And, on our nation as was evident when he left a failing economy, and TWO wars to whoever came next.

August 21, 2012 at 1:40 am |
  8. Al

Bad teachers can be fired and usually are. Unfortunately, as in most all jobs, there are always gonna be the lame-os who make the rest look bad. My mom taught for years and she'd be the first to admit there are definitely some bad apples in the schools... but plenty more good ones.

It certainly wouldn't hurt to ensure that the good teachers have the materials and other resources they need in order to educate the kids effectively. It's sad that often teachers have to purchase their own supplies out of their own pockets. How many businesses would allow that? In most offices, if employees had to buy our own post-its, etc. they'd be whining like babies.

March 4, 2011 at 1:12 pm |
    • Gaylon Barrow

Yeah well what about the bad students who won't let the good students be taught because of their terror in the classroom. They need to change the law that is a child does not behave then their parents will be locked up in jail for a period of time. If the parents yell no corporal puishment for my child then they should pay the price. As for the money for MATERIALS THEN YOU NEED GO NO FURTHER THAN TAKING AWAY ALL THE FREE SUPPLIES AND FOOD FROM THE ILLEGALS AND PUT THIS MONEY IN THE CLASSROOM. THESE STUDENTS SHOULDN'T EVEN BE ALLOWED TO COME TO SCHOOL MUST LESS HAVING US TO TEACH THEM ENGLISH WHICH COST MONEY BECAUSE EXTRA TEACHERS USUALLY AN UNQUALIFIED SPANISH PERSON TO TEACH THEM. THESE SAME STUDENTS ALSO ARE A DISRUPTION IN THE CLASSROOM. IF THEY MUST TEACH THEM ACCORDING TO OBAMA WHO IS ONLY LOOKING FOR AMNESTY SO THEY CAN VOTE TAKE THEM TO ANOTHER ALTERNATE SCHOOL TO TEACH THEM. BUT JOHN DOE PUBLIC SHOULD REFUSE THE TAX DOLLARS IT WILL TAKE TO SCHOOL THEM. MAKE THE PARENTS PAY FOR THEIR SCHOOLING OR MAYBE THEY'LL GO BACK TO MEXICO.

March 4, 2011 at 4:16 pm |
      • Cynthia L.

Dude, the schools were in serious trouble under Bush. My kids were school age and believe me the parents stepped in to provide supplies, giving fund raisers and even in my small town built the school ourselves. Just like the war he started in Iraq without giving our soldiers the most basic of equipment, like water bottle packs, bullet-proof body armor and even the correctly built HumVees that had blast shields underneath the body to protect against roadside bombs.
        Get real.

August 21, 2012 at 1:47 am |
  9. SupportPublicEd

Bipartisanship in no way validates the misguided reform efforts of Obama, Arne Duncan and the current batch of pseudo-reformers. The advances in Florida are subject to alternate interpretations. Jeb Bush and others, like Bill Gates, have economic incentive for the reforms they push and very few will last the test of time. When the voices of educators are heard louder than that of a software billionaire, or a career politician, then perhaps education reform will get somewhere.

March 4, 2011 at 1:38 pm |
  10. Jeff Brown in Jersey

A Bush in sheep's clothing.

March 4, 2011 at 1:43 pm |
    • Gaylon Barrow

What does that make ignorant Obama, TAR BABY.

March 4, 2011 at 4:05 pm |
  11. NVa Native

I don't mind hearing this Bush as this one speaks English and doesn't have that awkward smirk in the middle of his sentences. Amazing they came from the same parents. Too bad Dubbers beat Jeb to the White House, would have been a whole different world if Dubbers hadn't been appointed by the Supreme Court.

March 4, 2011 at 1:48 pm |
    • Gaylon Barrow

Still Bush beat the hades out of the funbny looking fellow Obama who is in the Oval Office today. Only the worst President this country has ever had.

March 4, 2011 at 4:04 pm |
  12. Former Republican, now an Independent

This is the difference in a Bush who is intelligent, and realizes that important issues rise above politics. His brother (W.) was just a big talking neo-con who concentrated his time on alienating the U.S. from the rest of the modern world. Unfortunately, W's type now controls the republican party.

March 4, 2011 at 1:54 pm |
  13. Doug

Very laudable goals all around, but very detached from reality. There are individual schools that do fine work and produce great results, some probably do poor work and produce poor results, but there is every combination of good and bad in between. Much of the world is light years ahead of the U.S. education system. Look at how your local schools teach creativity, initiative, critical thinking skills, communications, science, history, mathematics, basic world knowledge and on and on. Good luck with it, nevertheless!

March 4, 2011 at 3:33 pm |
  14. Andrew Millton

Bi-partisan, yes, but the schulekampf is on nonetheless.

March 4, 2011 at 3:42 pm |
  15. Gaylon Barrow

About teaching. That my friend starts at home. If the modern day parents thinks that they need to let their children go unpunished for the harsh terror one child may bestow on their own siblings then expect trouble when they come to school. When you as a parent can not and will not provide corporal punishment on your child for wrongdoings don't come whining condemning the school personnel why your child stays in trouble constantly. If allowed to do as they please for 5 years why expect them not to follow suit when they come to school. At present a teacher's hands are tied when it comes to discipline. They have to rely on the Principal to deal with this. There again he/she is under restraints for they also can't do ANYTHING EXCEPT SEND THE CHILD HOME. THEN THE PARENTS GO FLYING TO THE SCHOOL BOARD COMPLAINING THAT THEIR CHILD IS NOT RECEIVING FAIR TREATMENT. It all comes down to one thing, "SPARE THE ROD AND RUIN THE CHILD". Laws need to be changed for what worked with our foprefathers and our grandfathwers will darn sure work today. You are so wrong on the timing of a bully. A bully starts from day one when they come to school because they have been taught or like thereof that it is quite alright to run over a weaker person. Their parents di so why shouldn't they. That's why the pens are full and so mny children shooting another. The PARENTS AND OTHER STUPIDS GO TO YELLING GET RID OF THE GUNS THAT WILL STYOP ALL THIS. NEVER NITWIT FOR THEN THEY'LL JUST PICK UP ROCKS. GET SMART USE THE ROD OR LOSE THE CHILD.

March 4, 2011 at 3:58 pm |
  16. Rob Johnson

Anybody who wants proof that Jeb Bush isn't running for President in 2012, look no further.

If he was serious about winning the Republican primary in 2012, he wouldn't be working with Obama. Don't get me wrong, it is to his credit that he is willing to join forces with the President on this important issue, but it seems pretty clear that anybody who stops short of calling Obama a Kenyan-born Marxist Muslim has no chance of winning over the base of the GOP.

March 4, 2011 at 5:03 pm |
  17. williefloyd

@Gaylon Barrow-unless I'm misinterpreting you, you sound like the kind of racist bigot that we really don't need in our country. Many of us are trying to listen and learn from people with varying thoughts and ideas to improve things. Sorry, but you haven't said anything I find helpful at all!

March 4, 2011 at 6:40 pm |
  18. Gaylon Barrow

March 4, 2011 at 9:47 pm |
  19. Gaylon Barrow

Well another world heard from in WILLIE FLOYD you can bet is an African American for he is showing his intelligence by calling me a racist bigot. I would like to know which part in any of my comments makes me racist. This has become such a quick word for African Americans showing they have low mentality that they can not even decipher what you have to say. I personally am tired of their crude vulger ways of downing other people continuously. And saying the same thing over and over again. I WILL STAND BY WHAT I SAID AND IT HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH RACE. LAST TIME I LOOKED OBAMA WAS ARE IS SUPPOSED TO BE HALF AND HALF. THEN MAYBE NOT MAYBE HE IS LIKE THE REST AND DOES NOT KNOW SINCE HE CAN'T COME UP WITH A BIRTH CERTIFICATE. I'LL SAY AGAIN HE IS THE WORST P[RESIDENT THIS COUNTRY HAS EVER HAD. IF NOT LIST JUST WHAT HAS HE DONE THAT WILL HELP EVERYONE OR IS HIS DOINGS FOR ONLY TWO ETHNIC GROUPS.

March 4, 2011 at 9:54 pm |
  20. Liz Carter in Georgia

@Gaylon Barrow; you are a bigot and a racist, but that's okay! I knew it all along! You have the gall to ask where in your comments could anyone pick up on that fact; and that is puzzling to me, willie floyd and probably others! ALL OF THIS IN REFERENCE TO PRES OBAMA: 'funny looking OBAMA', TAR BABY, HE'S SUPPOSED TO BE HALF AND HALF, HE'S LIKE THE REST..HE DOESN'T KNOW SINCE HE CAN'T COME UP WITH A BIRTH CERTIFICATE'?!? You are sick, MR!

March 4, 2011 at 11:03 pm |
    • Gaylon Barrow

LIZ CARTER IN GEORGIA – THE TRUTH HURTS DON'T IT. CALL ME WHAT YOU WILL BUT IT DOES NOT ALTER THE FACT THAT YOU PEOPLE ARE THE RACIST NOT US. IT'S EVERY WORD THAT COMES OUT OF YOUR MOUTH. SO WHAT IF WE ARE RACIST. LIKE YOU BEING A RACIST. WHO CARES. I'M SURE YOU FAVOR BLACK OVER WHITE ELSE YOU WOULD SEE THE FAULT IN WHAT YOU Have LOADED ON US. THIS Man is destruction minded AND HE INTENDS TO DESTROY the only thing that will stop him from doing that is for us to vote him out of office. And that my dear fat lady we intend to do.

March 5, 2011 at 2:23 am |
  21. Gaylon Barrow

One thing I would like to mention to most of you who call other people racist. You know who you are. Your the same individuals who bash PALIN, WHY? If she is so dump and not cabable of running a country why do you waste your time. The problem seems your are scared to death of her for you know she outclasses the Nigerian outcast. Yes I think we are all racist. YOU, ME and every other race. We would not be natural if we did not. The Bible says love thou fellow man. I WOULD DESIRE TO DO SO IF THE OTHER MAN WAS CAPABLE OF RECEIVING IT. WHAT PEEVES ME THE MOST IS THE PEOPLE WHO HAD RATHER SET ON THEIR TAILS NOT GO TO SCHOOLS, DRINK WINE AND RECEIVE WELFARE CHECKS, WILL NOT WORK BECAUSE IT MAY STOP THEIR CHECKS. THEN THE SAME PEOPLE WANT TO DEFEND THE OPEN BORDER ACT SET BY OBAMA WHO DOES NOT INTEND TO CLOSE IT. HE INSTEAD INTENDS TO GIVE THESE PEOPLE AMNESTY GUARANTEEING HIM MORE VOTES OR THE DEMOCRATS. IT IS NOT GOING TO FLY FOR WE WILL NOT GIVE GRATUTITY TO GANGSTERS. THAT IS WHAT THESE ILLEGALS ARE. YOU ENTER THE COUNTERY ILLEGAL YOU ARE NOT EMIRGRANTS YOU PLAIN OLD CROOKS. SAME AS BURGARLIZING A PERSON'S HOME. IT IS TIME TO STOP FEEDING, SCHOOLING AND GIVING FREE MEDICAL HELP TO THESE PEOPLE. YOU PEOPLE QUITE WHINING AND GET OFF YOUR BUTTS GO TO WORK. FREE LOADING IS A GONE THING.

March 5, 2011 at 2:41 am |
  22. Liz Carter in Georgia

@Gaylon Barrow, No! That is exactly what I love; 'TRUTH'! I take the 'truth' over 'facts' anytime! You lied when you tried to sit out and question how you could possibly be thought of as a racist! It shows in each one of the rants I've ever read from you! You're living proof of coverted mentality which I speak about all the time! I know it's out there! I've said oftentimes, we can change laws, but we can't change hearts! Unless we truly want it, STOP DENYING IT, and ask GOD for DIVINE intervention!!

March 5, 2011 at 7:51 am |
  23. Liz Carter in Georgia

@Gaylon Barrow; even your last two responses to me were full of racists antics and words of hate and denigration about AFRICAN AMERICANS! 'Nigerian outcast'? OBAMAS' father was from KENYA! At least get your 'teardown' info right before you jump out here all loud and crazy! BTW, if Sarah Palin was black and white polka dot, she couldn't touch Barack nor Michelle Obama on nothing, OK? They are ONE of 'the ultimate' AFRICAN AMERICAN couples in this country, and that's what racists like you hate with a passion!

March 5, 2011 at 8:11 am |
  24. Liz Carter in Georgia

@Gaylon Barrow; You know you can't touch OBAMA with anything that will hold water, so you revert back to screaming and yelling about black people on welfare, getting checks and not working, free medical, not going to school, and all of the other stereotype you could think of; not to speak of how you degraded MEXICAN AMERICANS, both groups of which 'you folk' don't mind sending into war to fight and die for you and your greed! LAST TIME I CHECKED, THERE WERE AS MANY WHITES ON SOCIAL SERVICES AS BLACKS!

March 5, 2011 at 8:29 am |
    • Jay in NC

According to the census. There are about 40 million blacks and 250 million whites. About 6 x white to black. If what you say is correct, that there are as many whites on social services as blacks, then the blacks are over represented.

March 5, 2011 at 9:07 am |
    • Gaylon Barrow

There may be as many whites as blacks on welfare. What does that matter. When a person needs help bonifide there is nothing wrong with that. Yes I agree since I spent 30 years in the military fought in tWO wars with two tours in Nam. I had plently of black friends I would not wish to offend at all. I apoligize to you for this has got out of haNd just like what set me off. Have you ever read the comments to any mention of Saqrah Palin on these sites. Tell me they are not the most racist comments you've ever heard. I didnt realize just how much us white people were hated until you people strarted your bashing. No I am no more racist than you are. BUT WE BOTH ARE RACIST that is plain to see.Just like the GOP and Democrats will never come together to settle anything for neither wishes to concede anything. I am not a Republican. I guess I am now an Independent. I was a Democrat for 50 years. To show you how racist I was I voted for Obama in hopes he would bring something to the table we had never had to deal with before. Heavens knows i didn't realize that he would divide this country like he has. We are so divided nothing would surprise me if a Civil War didn't break out again. Either political party is not to blame when these things HAPPEN. BUT HATRED DOES. IF YOU CAN GET YOUR PEOPLE TO CHANGE THEIR RHETORIC AS WELL AS US WHITE PEOPLE NEED TO HAVE OURS CHANGE THEN Maybe we can come together. This I doubt for your people still think they're owed something because their forefathers were slaves. THAT WAS SAD. BUT YOU NEED TO UNDERSTAND THAT A GROUP OF PEOPLE, BLACKS, WHITES, BROWN and you NAME IT WERE ENSLAVED FOR MANY MORE YEARS THAN THE BLACKS WERE . THEY WERE CALLED CHRISTIANS. WE CAN'T CHANGE THAT BUT WE CAN CHANGE OUR ATTITUDES NOW. THIS I AM WILLING TO DO AS LONG AS I DON'T COME ON HERE AND READ ALL THE IDIOTIC COMMENTS MADE AGAINST PEOPLE WHO HAVE DONE NOTHING TO ANYONE ELSE LIKE PALIN'S DAUGHTER. SHE WAS CALLED EVERYTHING FROM SL@# TO BRINGING A CHILD INTO THE WORLD OUT OF WEDLOCK. HOW MANY IN YOUR RACE. I BELIEVE THIS PROBLEM IS UNIVERSAL. NOTHING NEEDS TO BE SAID CERTAINLY NOT ABOUT THIS GIRL. IT IS A SHAME TO ATTACK SOMEONE YOU DON'T EVEN KNOW OUT OF HATRED. FOR MY PART I APOLIGIZE TO YOU. I WILL STRIVE TO DO BETTER BUT IF I KEEP READING THE NASTY RETARDED COMMENTS UNCALLED FOR ON THESE PEOPLE I WILL RETALIEATE. You are wrong on Mexican Americans. I was not referring to them. They are a very honorable patriotic people to this country. I was talking about Illegals. They have no right being a burden on this country. They contribute nothing and reap all the welfare they can get. Obama does nothing in closing the drug laden border.

March 5, 2011 at 12:27 pm |
      • Cynthia L.

It's probably best NOT to drink before you drive OR post on a blog.

August 21, 2012 at 1:57 am |
  25. Liz Carter in Georgia

@Gaylon Barrow; as far as the remark where you owned up to being racist, by trying to drag us all into that cess pool, it won't work! Don't be a coward now; just be your own racist by yourself. You talk big and bad enough to be a one man army! Let others claim their OWN parts in racism like you did! All whites are not racists, we know that; so don't try to pull them in with you using that 'favor your own' trick, for us nor them! Love thy fellowman means LOVE THY FELLOWMAN, PERIOD! If CHRIST could love you!?

March 5, 2011 at 8:50 am |
    • Gaylon Barrow

Liz Racist Carter. You have proved my point. There is everything you've said about me bearing down on your head like a crown of thorns. You are a racist. You have backed a traitor to the U.S. He knows and you soon will also know it. Only it will not help you and my kind for the Lord will punish all of us for this country has turned from God. ARE YOU ONE? Please read revelations for the truth if you can understand the place of the English speaking nations. Then read Genesis ch 9, vs 20 thru 26 to understand your place in history and the future.

August 20, 2012 at 11:29 pm |
  26. Liz Carter in Georgia

If I'm understanding what you're saying correctly, Jay, I think you're right. We may have been over represented in the social services statistics. Also, you may be actually saying that there have to be more whites on social services than blacks; which also seems reasonable, especially since there are way more whites in AMERICA. Is that what you mean? If yes, I agree. That's why I said last time I checked. It wasn't a deep, thorough research, I just know people who work for different agencies. I was told.

March 5, 2011 at 11:44 am |
    • Jay in NC

It would not surprise me that more whites are on social services than blacks. Well, simply because there are many more whites and anyone could need help no matter what your race. I do not see this as a racial thing just pointing out statistics. I do not pretend to know the answers. I hate how this whole conversations is ending in a race war. We all really have enough problems with out dragging each other down.

March 5, 2011 at 12:38 pm |
  27. williefloyd

I am white, 65 yrs. old, worked my entire life, have never taken a handout from anybody. I thank any vet. who has served our country. I have 3 folded vet. flags in my home, each one awarded to my family members for serving during war time. I am also a Sou. Bapt. of 55 yrs. I read my Bible and no where in it do I find anything that justifies the comments made by Gaylon Barrow. I was also born and reared in the South and thank God my parents did not rear me as some here were reared.

March 5, 2011 at 2:33 pm |
  28. Liz Carter in Georgia

@Gaylon, I don't know exactly what set you off, but retaliation was not yours alone. I too, am a retaliator and for most of my 63 years have been for honest and good reason. As far as Sarah Palin goes, I honestly believe that most of the commentary about her on the blogs were posted by whites. I know I honestly don't feel she's qualified to the PRESIDENT of THE UNITED STATES, and for the system of things to continue to compare her credentials to those of BARACK OBAMA is so telling to most OBAMA supporters.

March 5, 2011 at 5:25 pm |
  29. Liz Carter in Georgia

However, as far as her daughter and family problems, we blacks are not that interested in that because YES, there's quite a bit of babies 'born out of wed-lock' in our communities! The only thing we may wonder about the whole BRISTOL PALIN episode would be that if that had been a black family being pulled into the limelight, whose not very well educated mother was being set to be a vice-president of the UNITED STATES, and her daughter turned up pregnant, would that have been okay? We think not! See?

March 5, 2011 at 5:42 pm |
  30. Liz Carter in Georgia

@Gaylon, I do want to thank you for your service to our country, as did my husband, who's a disabled USMC vet of the VIETNAM WAR. 10 years after he was back from that war he was called back to a mission in GRENADA to rescue those college students and missionaries out of there. My father, 3 of my uncles and a cousin were veterans of WW2: The Pacific under McARTHUR and PATTON in GERMANY. So I love, honor, support, and always will respect and admire all my AMERICAN VETERANS. However, they served under racism!

March 5, 2011 at 6:06 pm |
  31. Liz Carter in Georgia

Gaylon, your comment on the so-labled illegals, I couldn't help but wonder about the 'illegals' who have also fought and died for this country. Evidently, our US military wasn't pressing them for immigrant naturalization papers; they just wanted bodies, as I've heard some vets say 'bullet stoppers'. When they get killed, Oh, so now! 'where are his papers, he can't even have a military funeral, he was an 'illegal'! Great timing huh? All of sudden they've become so distasteful; We can't have it both ways!

March 5, 2011 at 6:28 pm |
  32. Liz Carter in Georgia

@williefloyd, thankyou for your watchmanship and intelligence. We are both southerners aren't we? You're white and I'm black; isn't it wonderful that we both know it? I was raised African Methodist Episcopal, (AME) a denomination of the White Methodist Church. We couldn't go in; stood outside, or either had to go to the balcony. Our church was founded in Philadelphia, by RICHARD ALLEN, a slave, who worked and BOUGHT himself and his brother out of slavery. He paid his master for their freedoms. HISTORY!

March 5, 2011 at 6:57 pm |
  33. Liz Carter in Georgia

Since I've been blogging today people, I've also been watching 'The Only Good Indian' on Comcast Cables ON DEMAND, under 'FREE MOVIES'. If you can get it or pull it down on your computers, Check it out folks. It's a good view!

March 5, 2011 at 7:11 pm |
  34. bed bug spray

Hi there just wanted to give you a quick heads up. The words in your content seem to be running off the screen in Opera. I'm not sure if this is a format issue or something to do with internet browser compatibility but I figured I'd post to let you know. The design and style look great though! Hope you get the issue fixed soon. Thanks

April 8, 2012 at 3:53 am |
  35. Hair Extensions

Great issues altogether, you simply received a brand new reader. What could you recommend about your put up that you simply made a few days ago? Any sure?

April 12, 2012 at 11:37 am |
  36. кулинария,еда,рецепты,кухня,culinary,food

I think that is one of the most significant info for me. And i'm glad reading your article. But should observation on few common issues, The web site taste is wonderful, the articles is really great : D. Just right process, cheers

May 21, 2012 at 3:20 pm |
  37. [Tiffany UK|Tiffany Sale|Tiffany Online shop|Tiffany Co Shop|Tiffany uk sale|Tiffany sale uk|Tiffany shop|cheap Tiffany shop|cheap Tiffany uk|buy Tiffany uk]

Wow, wonderful weblog structure! How long have you been blogging for? you make blogging look easy. The overall look of your web site is excellent, let alone the content!

June 7, 2012 at 9:09 pm |
  38. BIS

obviously like your website however you need to test the spelling on quite a few of your posts. A number of them are rife with spelling issues and I in finding it very bothersome to inform the reality nevertheless I will surely come again again.

January 1, 2013 at 11:32 pm |