First Lady to pen book about garden
First Lady Michelle Obama at a spring planting in the White House garden today
March 16th, 2011

First Lady to pen book about garden

WASHINGTON (CNN) - You can soon add ‘author’ to the distinguished resume of First Lady Michelle Obama when she writes an upcoming book about her garden at the White House.

The still untitled book will “tell the story of the garden she has established on the South Lawn of the White House and explore how improved access to fresh, locally grown food can promote healthier eating habits for families and communities,” her publisher, Crown Publishing Group, said in a press release announcing the project.

While the book will include photos of the White House garden throughout the seasons, it will also include photos of other community, urban, and school gardens from across the country. An e-book with additional multimedia content and features will be released as well.

In the book, Obama will explain the idea to plant an edible garden at the White House sprang from a change in her own family’s eating behavior, inspired by her two daughters, the press release said. In addition to sharing some of her favorite healthy recipes, the book will provide ideas and resources for readers to create gardens and farmers markets in their own communities.

The announcement came the same day Obama hosted students from local D.C. elementary schools to participate in the third spring planting of the White House garden.

Obama accepted no advance for the book according to her publisher, and will donate all proceeds to a charity or charities to be named later. The book is set for release in the spring of 2012.

Robert Barnett, who has handled book deals for past presidents, and other Washington elite, is representing Obama in the project.

Topics: Michelle Obama • The News

« Previous entry
  1. Chris

Good for her. At least she's not 'GOING ROGUE' and preaching doctrines of anger and hatred. She's such a decent lady, compared to the 'hurry come up' Sarah Palin. Here's another lesson lesson Sarah Palin can learn from our First Lady. Just a leaf out of that book would make Sarah a better person. No wonder Mrs. Obama is loved so much by the majority of Americans in contrast to Sarah Palin who's such a paralyzing figure in American politics today.

I bet anyone that Obam's book will quickly surpass her husbands works by a large margins. Americans are waiting and willing to read such inspiring message coming from our first African American First Lady.

Good example Michelle...you're an example to the ladies and girls of the USA.

Bravo

March 16, 2011 at 8:55 pm |
    • lulu

I am glad she has someone like you to praise her. As for me, when those vegetables show up later, be sure she shows the ones SHE supposedly grew, not the ones bought from a super marker and put there for us to praise the last time.
      ingrid: IF he is a Christian, WHY not celebrate, as we have for years the "Day of prayer". He will not let the planes fly over for a Christian event. Why does he want prayer REmoved from our schools, our National Anthem deleted from our sports events oh, I could go on, but I'm sure you still think he is a Christian, which is YOUR right, I HAVE mine also!

March 17, 2011 at 4:47 pm |

You sure are a "LuLu:
        IF President Obama were the first ever to show concern for the CONSTITUTION in this manner, I'd understand your "concern." One can be a Christian and still respect the fact that our Founding Fathers were clear that the States (and I quote) "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof." We (America) CAN NOT favor one religion over another through allowing government agents to act on behalf of any religion (the flyover).
        Prayer was removed from schools LONG AGO! President Obama did nothing there.
        Where did you get the idea that the President wants the National Anthem removed from sporting events?
        Respect for any religion doesn't mean surrendering the Government to it. As usual, as a "Right" winger, you are way, WAY, WAY off base about Religion, our Constitution and this President.

As to the vegetables, I agree.

March 17, 2011 at 8:40 pm |
      • ingrid

The question if Obama is a christian or not is not just stupid. He goes to church, he says he is christian. That is good enough for me. I am so tired of this debate. Mitt Romney is a morman– that does not make him a christian at all. I am not saying that Mitt Romney is not a religious man or that he not a good man but he is NOT a christian. He does not even say that he is...Are you this concerned about Romney??? Moreover, even if Obama was a muslim–we are not against muslims. We are against terrorist in this country. Furthermore, being muslim is allowed because as america promises religious freedom. But once again, Obama says he is Christian. Good grief.

September 10, 2012 at 6:16 pm |
    • L_Museum

Love the energy that Michelle is creating around child health and good nutrition. Very positive and so well needed. It is frightening to think that the next generation might develop heart disease and diabetes before they even can legally marry because of how we are treating them!

March 17, 2011 at 6:09 pm |
  2. George Guadiane - Austerlitz, NY

I'm SURE that Sarah ("where's my check") Palin and the rest of the "Right" wing will have nothing but mocking sounds to make over this.

Really sad that trying to help children live a better healthier life is a "bad" thing for some people.

March 16, 2011 at 9:01 pm |
    • L_Museum

Anything that does not involve tax breaks for billionaires is a bad thing for some people unfortunately. Didn't you get the memo? Tax breaks for the wealth can solve all our woes, you betcha!

March 17, 2011 at 6:11 pm |
  3. Monster Zero

I am going to pen a book also, it is going to be called, How a bunch of Progressive liberal scum tried to redistribute America's Wealth, it will have a happy ending though, the traitorous villian's will be tried and imprisoned at the end of the story. It will be un-shakeable, ahh, but I've told you all the ending, I guess the Jig is up!

March 16, 2011 at 9:07 pm |
    • ingrid

Monster Zero, that is so funny.

I will write a book as well. I think I will call it how the RIGHT IS SO WRONG. It will explore the sad state of our country and how the right has such a distorted view of the world. How they go out of their way to misinform people with accusations of "death panels" or that the President went on a trip that cost $2million a day to Asia; it might also talk about how the right is so led by the religious right that they bring in a whole slew of people into government that promise jobs, but instead focus on social issues and cutting programs for the poor to distract from their inability to provide the jobs they promised.

Or how the right seeks to deregulate industries that desperately need regulating such as the energy companies that have a proven track record of destroying the environment (think coal, and oil) or lastly the book might also address how the right talks about liberties for all but its seems its only for those who are very well off. I might also add how the right seems to have this fantasy that if they allow the rich to get richer without any care for the poor somehow the overall economy will improve. That fantasy that has never proven to work and the majority of economist dismiss called "trickle down" theory. And when people stand up to the right, they call them "welfare queens" "progressive liberal scum" or my new favorite "socialists."

Monster Zero, think about what you are saying. " Progressive LIberal Scum." Really is that the rhetoric you want to be using? Before you answer, I am a liberal and I care about the environment, my neighbors, my schools, my country. What is so bad about that. You are on these sites all the time and are clearly angry with the world and you blame the democrats it seems. Why. Are you unemployed because of something the democrats have done? Are you so upset that a gay couple wants to get married? Are you upset that you might have health care? Did you know that prior to this economic down fall that over 60% of foreclosures were for health related costs.

So what is wrong with being a liberal?? Think about what the terms mean??? Liberal means to me being open minded and open to other people's views and perspective. I really try to do that but when you write, "progressive liberal scum" how open are you to other's views.

March 16, 2011 at 10:30 pm |
      • Gaylon Barrow

I think I will also write a book about a President of the great United States who wouldn't salute it's flag of honor or bow to a queen but yet would kiss the hand and bow to one of the leaders of our enemies. Then Michelle denying proptocal for she or her husband know nothing of protoco goes and grabs the Queen of Enland and hugs the old gal. I don't know why the Queens Guards didn't gerab her and drag her off to the dungeon. WAKE UP MICHELE YOU NOT IN THE QUEEN'S CLASS YET.

March 16, 2011 at 11:22 pm |
      • Monster Zero

Baaaaaaaaaaaaa! Baaaaaaaaaaaaaa!

March 17, 2011 at 9:28 am |
      • M-AZ

ingrid,

RIGHT ON, baby! I am going to pen a book too, and restate everything you said (smile).

March 17, 2011 at 10:25 am |
      • pete

bravo. very well put. although my guess is that it may take monster zero several days to read all of that. he probably hasn't done so much reading since he took 3 years to struggle through the english version of "mein kampf". please don't discourage him from commenting. every time he touches his keyboard, he shines a powerful spotlight on the epidemic ignorance of his kind.

March 17, 2011 at 10:59 am |
      • Gaylon Barrow

Being whatever party you call yourself does not make one smart. WEverything you have stated is so totally wrong. Republicans or Tea Party people do nto have things distorted. It is people like you who are living in a fantasy world. Most certainly there is death panels in his bill, "The Stimulas Bill"< page 666. It is stated that people on medicare must have their ills confirmed and considered to be paid on the speculated longIvity and productive live of the individual. So if you people have not did your research don't just set there and blindly back this traitor. He does not have every ones especially the poors welfare at heart. The rich can take care of theirself but myself i certainly AM not rich. I was a poor old Democrat as you people say that after 50 years of being in that party. I saw Obama for what he is.,. MOST CERTAINLY NOT A PATRIOT OF THIS COUNTRY. WHY CAN'T YOU SEE IT OR ARE YOU ALSO LIKE HIM AND HATE AMERICA.

March 17, 2011 at 11:28 am |
    • Gaylon Barrow

Did you see the two African Americans who are planting the garden for the last lady.

March 16, 2011 at 11:32 pm |
      • Tommy Mack

Racist comment number 1. See below for more from this person.

March 17, 2011 at 1:28 am |
      • anthony

Did you see the millions of whites, blacks, latinos, asians, and middle easterns who voted for YOUR first BLACK PRESIDENT to sit in the White House?

Does it always suck to be filled with this much hate and misery, or only on days ending with Ys?

March 17, 2011 at 2:41 am |
      • Jenan

Linda, I'm not pro-McCain. I'm anti-liars, thugs, corruption, theft, rhitgs abusers, war starters, blind partisan sycophants, and people that do more harm to America than good. Just like Barack Obama has done in Illinois, more harm than good.And you don't know your Alaskan politics if you were unaware that Sarah Palin whistleblew on her GOP State Chair BEFORE she ran for Lt. Gov and Gov. Not after.Ok I'll match your bridge to nowhere and raise you state and federal grant money to the Muntu Dance Theater in Chicago sponsored by Barack Obama and Emil Jones Jr. WHILE Michelle Obama was a sitting board members and while the Muntu Dance Theater was paying over $50,000 to a federal lobbyist (you know the ones Obama supposedly hates unless they benefit his wife) in order to secure those grants.I'll go back and forth with you all day on this and point out your double standard and blind loyalty to a party and people that have shown nothing but corruption, obfuscation, and a lust for power without regard for anyone else. And you really believe the Governor of a state can get away with faking a pregnancy and covering up for her daughter that you think actually is the mother? Well, you are beyond rational logic and off into smearing and conspiracy land there, so that illustrates you are also more interested in blind loyalty than truth and the common good. Please keep supporting Obama so more people will see exactly what he inspires from people. Its clear Obama inspires hate against those that disagree and Obama inspires his supporters to smear 16 year old girls and could care less about ruining a young girl's life if it is in their political interests. That is just plain horrible but indicative of what we can expect with an Obama Presidency. If people don't agree and drink the kool aid, make stuff up to smear them with without regard for anything else.

September 7, 2012 at 10:00 pm |

@ "MonsterZero"

Will you subtitle this magnificent tome:
      "If ignorance is bliss, I (the author) really am the happiest person on the planet?"
      or perhaps:
      "I know what I said, I learned it from Sarah who learned it from Rush who pretty much made it up?"
      or
      "Another trip to 'Conservative' fantasy land, just like all the others?"

I call people like you "WalMart" Republicans. If you really understood what was going on, you would not stand where you do. You are part of a circular firing squad with a straw man in the middle. The only thing that people like you do is take the heat off of the REAL criminals on Wall Street and in Banks (and before you try it anyone NO, NOT ALL of them are bad or evil). They take home BILLIONS and you IMAGINE that you might some day benefit from this political ideology.

You WON'T!

March 21, 2011 at 11:04 am |
  4. OneMoreTime

Great idea. This lady has her act together in so many different ways and I am very proud she is our First Lady.
    I love gardens, I love farmer's markets, and lately we are hearing how food prices are going to go up, so this is
    a great opportunity to start a garden. There are so many ways to grow vegies from the smallest to the
    largest. Can hardly wait to buy this book. Grow your own tomatoes people, they are like nothing you have ever
    tasted!

March 16, 2011 at 9:12 pm |
  5. Duane

If promotting good eating and health make you a liberal...I'm prood to be one.

March 16, 2011 at 9:53 pm |
  6. Reality is...

Wonder what charity it will be? The Clinton Foundation or Obama Foundation?

March 16, 2011 at 10:19 pm |
  7. Joan

Hope Limbaugh gets a copy of the book and follows some of the healthy recipes. Saw a picture of him recently and wondered how in the world he had the nerve to criticize anyone else's waistine. His is getting pretty big. When he criticized the First Lady's waistline, I guess he didn't notice how glamourous and fit she looked at the State of the Union address and also at the state dinner recently. She promotes healthy eating but everyone needs to have some extra favourites once in a while. Good for her. She is a great role model.

March 16, 2011 at 10:26 pm |
    • Gaylon Barrow

TO WHOM, MAY I ASK?

March 16, 2011 at 11:24 pm |
      • Tommy Mack

Supporting a known racist: Limbaugh and lambasting a female. Racist #2 and sexist #1. See below for more from the person.

March 17, 2011 at 1:30 am |
      • Bill

To open minded folks... but obviously not to you Gaylen. Nothing to see here... move along. Time to go kick a bum or kill a cat...

March 17, 2011 at 3:02 am |
      • Notfooled

To anyone who is not racist and has a brain.

March 17, 2011 at 5:20 am |
      • T

Mrs. Obama is a role model to anyone who appreciates the idea that a person can improve their quality of life through education. Since she grew up in a one bedroom apartment in Chicago, with two parents (her father had MS and walked with a limp and crutches yet went to work every day as a city pump operator) she is a role model to young girls who find themselves growing up in less than affluent situations. Instead of becoming a victim of circumstance, Michelle focused on educating herself. She graduated from Princeton and later Harvard Law,and became very successful on her own. Mrs. Obama exemplifies the idea of the American dream. Isn't that what people around the world admire most about our nation? If you work hard and educate yourself you can make it here? Unless you are the Obamas, for some odd reason they are an exception and their accomplishments should be over-looked.

People who verbally abuse Mrs.Obama aren't necessarily racist, they are simply people who do not see the value in education. They are more than likely those who have very little education and ridicule others for their physical appearance because they just aren't equipped to produce valid criticism. In the end, Mrs. Obama ends up looking intelligent and graceful, while those who mock her just look foolish and bitter. Sad.

March 17, 2011 at 7:36 am |
  8. Thomas

To Monster Zero and the rest of the self centered , unsustainable , glutinous , pro war , ignorant ,right wing .
    It's unfortunate that you didn't have a Mother such as First Lady Michelle Obama , , it must be frustrating for persons such as yourselfs raised on dollar sighs rather then kindness and intelligence.
    I give thanks to our gracious first LADY for all her work , I hope her garden grows plentiful !
    MONSTER ZERO , how much is enough ? $$$$$$$$$$$$$$SOUL$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

March 16, 2011 at 10:38 pm |
    • Monster Zero

I did, I was born in a cross fire hurricane, I was raised by a toothless bearded hag, but it's all right now, in fact it's a gasssss! $4.00 A GALLON GAS!

March 17, 2011 at 9:32 am |
      • George Guadiane - Austerlitz, NY

The joke is on you, you have to pay that price just like the rest of us, unless you can't afford it.

March 21, 2011 at 11:08 am |
  9. Linda

Neat idea! I look forward to getting the book. I'm glad to see a positive, upbeat news article.

March 16, 2011 at 10:39 pm |
  10. Eric

Here is a fact for you to consider. All of the first laddy's since Mamie Eisenhower have had one personal staff member except Hilary Clinton whon had three. Michele Obama has 22.

March 16, 2011 at 10:56 pm |
    • rafael

I just love conservative "facts." They are so consistently "whatever I need them to be to support my ideology, truth be dam.ned"
      I know you won't bother reading, and I'm sure that even if you did read you still wouldn't pull your head out of your conservative as $, but here's to your education:

March 17, 2011 at 12:44 pm |
      • Eric

Hi rafael, Thanks for the name calling. I read the snops article you posted. If it
        's true then you are right and I am wrong. I still don't like her... or you. Wanted to but won't sink to your level and call you a dirty name.

March 18, 2011 at 3:37 pm |
    • George Guadiane - Austerlitz, NY

Accepting your count for the moment, does it occur to you that she might use those "personal assistants" to ACCOMPLISH MORE than previous first ladies?

Does it occur to you, for instance that this President and the agenda on which he was elected is getting more static and drag than any other president in recent memory, including President Bush?

Is it possible that a woman with the intellect and drive of this first lady sees an opportunity to make a difference, here and now, that she might not have again, and/or might not have had, save for this set of circumstances? If so, is it likely that she deemed it fitting and proper to use her position, her notoriety, her poise and intellect to help the PEOPLE of this country?

March 21, 2011 at 11:15 am |
  11. Eric

Michele Obama's personal staff:

One.. $172,200 – Sher, Susan (Chief Of Staff)
    Two.. $140,000 – Frye, Jocelyn C. (Deputy Assistant to the President and Director of Policy And Projects For The First Lady)
    Three.. $113,000 – Rogers, Desiree G. (Special Assistant to the President and White House Social Secretary for Mrs. Obama)
    Four.. $102,000 – Johnston, Camille Y. (Special Assistant to the President and Director of Communications for the First Lady)
    Five.. $100,000 – Winter, Melissa (Special Assistant to the President and Deputy Chief Of Staff to the First Lady)
    Six.. $90,000 – Medina , David S. (Deputy Chief Of Staff to the First Lady)
    Seven.. $84,000 – Lilyveld, Catherine M. (Director and Press Secretary to the First Lady)
    Eight.. $75,000 – Starkey, Frances M. (Director of Scheduling and Advance for the First Lady)
    Nine.. $70,000 – Sanders, Trooper (Deputy Director of Policy and Project for the First Lady)
    Ten.. $65,000 – Burnough, Erinn (Deputy Director and Deputy Social Secretary)
    Eleven.. $64,000 – Reinstein, Joseph B.(Deputy Director and Deputy Social Secretary)
    Twelve.. $62,000 – Goodman, Jennifer R. (Deputy Director of Scheduling and Events Coordinator For The First Lady)
    Thirteen.. $60,000 Fitz, Alan O.(Deputy Director of Advance and Trip Director for the First Lady)
    Fourteen.. $57,500 – Lewis, Dana M. (Special Assistant and Personal Aide to the First Lady)
    Fifteen... $52,500 – Mustaphi, Semonti M. (Associate Director and Deputy Press Secretary To The First Lady)
    Sixteen.. $50,000 – Jarvis, Kristen E. (Special Assistant for Scheduling and Traveling Aide To The First Lady)
    Seventeen.. $45,000 – Lechtenberg, Tyler A. (Associate Director of Correspondence For The First Lady)
    Eighteen.. $43,000 – Tubman, Samanth a (Deputy Associate Director, Social Office)
    Nineteen.. $40,000 – Boswell, Joseph J. (Executive Assistant to the Chief Of Staff to the First Lady)
    Twenty.. $36,000 – Armbruster, Sally M. (Staff Assistant to the Social Secretary)
    Twenty-One.. $35,000 – Bookey, Natalie (Staff Assistant)
    Twenty-Two.. $35,000 – Jackson, Deilia A. (Deputy Associate Director of Correspondence for the First Lady)
    (total $1,591,200 in annual salaries)

March 16, 2011 at 10:59 pm |
    • Jay in NC

And who says Liberals don't know how to create jobs.

March 18, 2011 at 5:22 am |
    • George Guadiane - Austerlitz, NY

Thank you for what is actually relevant information.

It's not necessarily relevant to any of your points, but if accurate, this is at least a presentation of facts.

March 21, 2011 at 11:17 am |
  12. Kenny

Now all we have to do is sit back for a week and wait. That's about how long it will take Sarah Palin to come up with something stupid in an effort to knock the FLOTUS while trying to make herself look like the victim of the book written by the FLOTUS. It's even going to be on e-books and I don't think Sarah has gotten there yet. The FLOTUS, Michelle Obama is Class while "Sista Sarah" is a Wannabe.

March 16, 2011 at 11:11 pm |
    • Gaylon Barrow

Racist, Racist, Racist, Desist with all the racist comments.

March 16, 2011 at 11:25 pm |
      • Tommy Mack

Racist comment #3 because there was NO RACISM in the post. You are projecting, dude. Seriously. See below from this person.

March 17, 2011 at 1:31 am |
      • KatR

Good idea. Why don't you do the same? It's obvious from the comments you have made on various CNN articles that you are clearly a bigot and a racist. If it makes you feel American to diss the President and First Lady of our great country over and over again it's clear that the basis for your angry, ignorant comments can be due to nothing but hatred based on skin color. Such an attitude does nothing but destroy and is very un-American.

March 17, 2011 at 7:27 am |
      • ingrid

Gaylon, I think you have a very weird version of reality. I do not agree with everything that Obama has done as President but he is not a traitor by a long stretch; if you have taken the time to do your research as you claim (but clearly you are only getting your news from FOX) and looked at all that Obama has done for this country as President you would not be saying all that you have. Go to www. "what the F#&! has Obama done." I would really be curious to hear what you think after you read the list.

By the way, there are NO death panels. Read it again. The passage you are referring to is basically a means to compensate doctors for taking the time to explain options to terminally ill patients. It is about paying doctors not taking lives.

March 17, 2011 at 12:12 pm |
    • anthony

We dont have to wait a week.. give theses commenters 30 seconds and I'm sure the hate is bound to start flowing.

Cue the unnecessarily negative comments in 3,2,1...

March 17, 2011 at 2:44 am |
  13. Marla

I will buy a copy of this book when it is published to support Mrs. Obama and whatever charity she chooses.
    Michelle is a gracious, beautiful First Lady and a great example to all mothers.

March 16, 2011 at 11:13 pm |
    • Gaylon Barrow

YEAH CHARITIES. Here and Obamas along with whatever they contribute to Osama bin Laden.

March 16, 2011 at 11:28 pm |
      • FloridaRes

Amazing – tell me Gaylon to which charities has sister Sarah donated. Has she worked for any charity involved with Downs Syndrome? That would appear to be high on any high profile mother of a Downs child. Pres Obama (must gall you to hear him referred to as President) donated $1.4 million to charities when he won the Nobel Peace Prize. The Obamas are humanitarians which Sarah&Co are not! The latter are just trailer trash.

March 17, 2011 at 12:24 am |
      • Tommy Mack

Racist comment #4 and Treasonous comment #1. Remember, Reagan created Al Queda to fight the Soviet Union in Afghanistan. See below for more from this person.

March 17, 2011 at 1:33 am |
      • Notfooled

How silly. I bet you are ok with the Republicans giving their charitable donations to huge corporations on the backs of the middleclass. You might even be one of them.

March 17, 2011 at 5:25 am |
      • Gaylon Barrow

Tommy Mack – YOU KNOW YOU CAN CALL ME RACIST ALL YOU WANT TO i DON'T CARE. BUT 30 YEARS IN THE MILITARY NO ONE CONSIDERED ME AS ONE. WHAT HAS TURNED ME TO MAKE COMMENTS LIKE THE ONES I'VE MADE IS IF YOU HAVEN'T YOU NEED TO READ ANY ARTICLE ON SARAH PALIN AND READ THE COMMENTS THEN YOU COME BACK AND CALL ME RACIST. BAH ON YOU, IT IS YOU BUNCH WHO ARE SO RACIST IT IS PITIFUL. IT REALLY IS NONSENSE FOR ANY OF US TO BE BASHING EITHER PERSON, OBAMA OR SARAH. THEY HAVE THEIR BELIEFS AND IF WE DON'T BELIEVE IN THEM THEN VOTE YOUR CHOICE. I'M SURE THAT BOTH BELIEVE IN WHAT THEY'RE DOING. AND ARE THESE COMMENTS CHANGING ANYONE'S MIND. HAVE A GOOD DAY I'M SURE YOU'RE A FINE FELLOW.

March 17, 2011 at 11:39 am |
      • Monster Zero

Reagan did not create Al Qaeda to fight the Soviets Mack daddy. The Mujahadeen was created by the Afghan freedom fighters, it was covertly funded and supplied US arms by the CIA under Reagan, rent Charlie's war the movie for some quick insight. Al Qaeda formed subsequent to the dissolution of the Soviet Union at the hands of Osama Bin Laden, Bin Laden assassinated the US allies within the rank and file of the Mujahadeen and indoctrinated the participants into a holy war against the West, Clinton failed to kill him when he had the chance due to the presence of Saudi royalty at the same hunting camp then handed the torch to GW Bush, ergo 9/11 do some research.

March 17, 2011 at 5:12 pm |
      • George Guadiane - Austerlitz, NY

Gaylord, racist or not, your unfounded anti-American accusation is certainly ignorant...

But thank you for your service.

March 21, 2011 at 11:20 am |
  14. MJ

Okay, I'm amused. Notice there is no dirt on the gloves ... When I work in the garden my gloves are covered with dirt and soil. Great Photo Op. Maybe next time they can may this look "real". CNN – Is this your best shot?

March 16, 2011 at 11:29 pm |
    • Tommy Mack

In the photo, she obviously just preened one of her plants with her left hand. See the green thing? Working a garden doesn't always mean "dirty gloves". And please don't get started on photo ops!

Remember "MISSION ACCOMPLISHED"? Or the "I'm clearin' brush all the time on my ranch" photo ops (where he immediately sold the ranch when Karl Rove told him he no longer needed to "look tough". People complaining that Michelle is trying to educate is the lowest of the low.

March 17, 2011 at 2:00 am |
    • Notfooled

You need to put your glasses on. She is holding a plant and there is dirt on the glove.

March 17, 2011 at 5:27 am |
  15. ingrid

Gaylon I get that you are trying to imply that the monies raised from the book would not go to a charity but are you really saying that you think the First lady's profits from her book on gardening/healthy eating is going to Osama Bin Laden??? Really?

March 16, 2011 at 11:41 pm |
    • rafael

Sure, why not. Mor.ons don't have to think very deep.

March 17, 2011 at 12:16 am |
    • Gaylon Barrow

YES REALLY. I'M AS SURE AS THE SUN SETS OBAMA IS A MUSLIM AND HATES AMERICA. HE AND MICHELLE HAVE SHOWN FROM DAY ONE THAT THEY ARE NOT PATRIOTS. IT STARTED WHEN OBAMA WOULD NOT WEAR THE FLAG THEN WILL NOT SALUTE THE FLAG INSTEAD GRABS HIS CROTCH. MICHELE STATED SUCH THEN EMBARRASSES US BY HUGGING THE QUEEN. OBAMA WOULD NOT BOW TO HER OR KISS HER HAND IF OFFERED. PROTOCOL. EVERYONE WHO KNOWS ANYTHING ABOUT AMERICA AND ENGLAND KNOWS THAT IS THE PROPER WAY OF GREETING.. OBAMA THEN GOES ON TO BOW TO AN ENEMY LEADER OF A NATION THAT IS AGAINST THE U.S. AND KISSES HIS HAND. YES HE DEFINITELY IF NOT SOMETHING FOR THE GOOD OF AMERICA. RACE IS NOT AN ISSUE WITH ME. BUT I WILL SAY AGAIN IF WE CAN'T BASH HIM THEN ALL THE BASHING OF PALIN NEEDS TO STOP. I'M SO TIRED OF ALL THIS RACIST NAME CALLING. I AM NOT A RACIST AND I DO NOT HAVE TO PROVE IT.

March 17, 2011 at 11:51 am |
      • ingrid

Gaylon, First of all, Obama is christian. What does he have to do to prove this. And why? If he was Hindu or Buddhist, would that bother you? Does that make him less American? I am fairly sure that we have Americans who are not Christian. Are people who do not go to church or less than you less American to you? Because I am fairly certain that one of the reasons our founding fathers came here was to escape religious prosecution. So for you to make the case if are not christian then you are not American is troubling to me.

Then, lets examine your statement that you think Obama hates America. You base this in part it seems he does not regularly wear a US pin. Does that make him less American? I am a proud American and I do not wear a pin. This wearing a flag pin is just hype. I worked in DC for many years and it was only recently that people started wearing them and mainly the GOP. They must care more for the USA because they wear the pin? Is that your rationale. Wow. You broke the code. If you wear a pin, you must be a good american. So lets go back to your statement that "Obama hates America." Hmm. Did I miss something. Has he said that? What exactly has he done to justify you saying that? Seems to me that he cares for the US.
        I think that is why he tried to create health care for all. That is why he is investing in renewable energy. Protecting and investing in our education even as the GOP is trying to undermine our educational system with cuts. What. Give me a break, Gaylon.

Lastly, because he or his wife made a gaffe when encountering the Queen of England somehow makes him less American. That does not even make sense.

Gaylon, make a real case or stop saying things that are baseless...

March 17, 2011 at 12:33 pm |
      • Gaylon Barrow

INGRID – YOU WENT A MILE TO SAY NOTHING. THE FLAG BUSINESS WAS ABOUT THE NATIONAL NNTHEM AND HIS GRABBING HIS CROTCH WHEN IT IS PLAYED. AS FOR BEING CHRISTIAN, BULLCRAP. BY HIS OWN ADMISSION ON SEVERAL TAPES HE PROCLAIMS HIMSELF AS MUSLIM. YOU CAN FLING THE WORDS BUT YOUR NOT CONVINCING ME. THERE IS EVER REASON TO PROCLAIM HIM NOT WORTHY OF BEING THE PRESIDENT OF THE U.S. UNTIL HE PRESENTS A BONIFIDE BIRTH CERTIFICATE HE WILL AND ALWAYS WILL BE SUSPECT. WHAT'S HIS PROBLEM WHY CAN'T HE JUST STEP FORWARD AND BE A MAN.PRESENT IT. YOU CLAIM TO HIS CHRISTIANITY WAS IN J. WRIGHT CHURCH. I CAN'T EVEN CALL HIM REV. SAME AS MARTIN LUTHER KING AND HIS MISTRESSES. WHEN THEY SAY THINGS LIKE G.D. AMERICA AND THE OTHER COMMITS ADULTERY THEIR BEING ORDAINED SHOULD HAVE BEEN LIFTED. THEY LIKE EVERYONE ELSE IN HIGH PROFILE POSITIONS ARE OUT FOR NOTHING BUT MONEY. GO OVER TO THE COMMENT SECTION ON PALIN. SHE HAS AN ARTICLE AND LOOK AT ALL THE RACISTS COMMENT MADE IN REGARDS TO HER. SHE DOES NOT DESERVE THIS. HER DAUGHTER MOST CERTAINLY DID NOT DESERVE THE BASHING SHE GOT FROM THE IMBECILES. I USED TO NOT MAKE COMMENTS LIKE THIS BUT I CAN'T STAND BY WHILE STUPID IS RUNNING AMOK.

March 17, 2011 at 1:39 pm |
      • Notfooled

@Gaylon Barrow-–You sound a lot like TOTAL FACTS. Is that you? Were you so embarassed with everyone going after you that you changed your name? Your love of Sarah Palin sold you out. Still crazy as ever I see.

March 18, 2011 at 4:34 am |
      • George Guadiane - Austerlitz, NY

WOW, Did you REALLY just say that President Obama is a Muslim?

I don't mind if you "bash" this president, some of us were almost harsh enough on the last one, but could you use some ACTUAL FACTS???

If ignorance is bliss, you must be one of the happiest people alive, ANYWHERE.

Again, Thank you for your service.

March 21, 2011 at 11:27 am |
  16. Dan

The presidential couple will feed us, though we are already fed up with them!

March 17, 2011 at 12:22 am |
    • Notfooled

Then you must be a Republican in Congress. She is probably just as fed up with you.

March 17, 2011 at 5:28 am |
  17. Right

what no ribs and taters for plump welfare wife of waldo.

March 17, 2011 at 5:45 am |
    • T

Actually, Mrs. Obama has degrees from Princeton and Harvard Law. What about you? Oh sorry, Right may not understand that education stuff. It is where some folks go an they learn you stuff like spellin and grammer (misspelled on purpose) and how to write american in complete sentences. And I heerd when u gradjeeate, you aint gonna need no welfare no mo.

March 17, 2011 at 7:51 am |
      • Belen

A,But in this case, March of Dimes apparently didn't picerdt the hang-up, weren't prepared with a strategy ahead of time, were not prepared to defend the rationale/reasoning, didn't vet for problems, ducked the hard questions, and didn't gather support. Now, they're bailing quickly while others are helping their ship sink. Any lessons from the journalist as to how to fix an existing situation after it has already gotten out of hand?

September 10, 2012 at 2:30 am |
    • George Guadiane - Austerlitz, NY

It is really painful to see ignorance as bold and unflappable as yours. Your utter lack of style and lack of valuable content makes your racism on par with any of the least important KKK members.
      You SHOULD be ashamed of your lack of wit, but you are clearly not bright enough.

Not even bright enough to stay quiet and let us think you MIGHT have active brain cells.

March 21, 2011 at 11:30 am |
  18. NJfinest2009

Michelle Obama, you should have a section in your garden for a plant called (HATERS) cause there are sure enough of them writing on this blog. I am very proud of what any first family does for charity. Keep up the good work. God bless the first family, it is a shame that there is still such hate in the UN-United states.

March 17, 2011 at 7:09 am |
    • Monster Zero

Great post, there could be fried haters, mashed haters, sweet haters, hater cakes, hashbrown haters, baked haters and hater salad...perhaps they could all be fertilized with MiraclegrObama propaganda, the garden would be limitless...

March 17, 2011 at 5:01 pm |
      • George Guadiane - Austerlitz, NY

I must give you props for a sense of humor, ignorant though the last part was.
        Life would be better if we could get some SWEET HATERS.

March 21, 2011 at 11:32 am |
  19. yellowdog

Leave to the rightwingnuts to turn every positive into a negative. Talk about emotional immaturity.

March 17, 2011 at 8:18 am |
  20. Monster Zero

Yeah everybody, do away with the racist comments, it might upset Holder's "People". Let's do what the progressive left does and move right on to the death threats...

March 17, 2011 at 9:34 am |
    • Susan

It was less than a year ago when my democratic congressman, Bart Stupak, was threatened with death because of his stance on abortion! Very short memory, but very convenient for those with small minds. Are you paid to write this stuff?

March 17, 2011 at 10:19 am |
      • Monster Zero

18 separate death threats in one day to Wisconsin Republican State Senators.
        Windows shot out at the DC Republican offices.
        Abortion goes a little beyond being a Republican, I would equate that topic to religious zealots. As far as our minds go, mine a blazing supernova, yours, a flickering beer fart.

March 17, 2011 at 4:42 pm |
  21. eunice a

NOTHING WRONG WITH GADENING --– BY THE TIME THESE REPUBLICANS AND TEA PARTY PEOPLE GET THROUGH TAKING EVERYTHING FROM THIS COUNTRY (MIDDLE CLASS PEOPLE AND POOR PEOPLE) WE ALL WILL BE GARDENING TO SURVIVE ------– ALL THEY ARE DOING GETTING RICH, AND RICHER, WE AS AMERICANS DONOT HAVE A VOICE IN ANYTHING - DON'T TAKE MY WORD FOR I T JUST LOOK AROUND. YOU GO MRS.OBAMA YOU ARE A VERY POSTIVE PERSON ---------

March 17, 2011 at 10:37 am |
  22. dev

Eric, I like your "Michele Obama's personal staff" expense report. Question, is this the ist time you noticed this expense for the 1st ladies OR have you ever cared about the past 1st ladies expense report? How much was the past 1st ladies and how much is this compare to..

I hope you are not 2-1/2 year old baby to not know about other past 1st ladies expenses..o-)

March 17, 2011 at 12:26 pm |
    • Eric

Hi Dev, I'll let those facts speak for themselves. Nice try. Cheers, Eric

March 17, 2011 at 11:12 pm |
  23. ingrid

Monster Zero...I am not sure who has made more death threats the right or left, I would wager it comes more from the right (based on observations) But that said, it should stop from both sides. This fighting between the right and left should be about ideas and not attacks and threats. For instance, there is a new level of ugliness pervading discourse that is just wrong. I want to live in a peaceful country. I am happy to have debates and hear other views as this is constructive, but the angry rhetoric that I read on posts is very disturbing and makes me sad about the state of affairs in our country.

March 17, 2011 at 12:45 pm |
    • Monster Zero

Ingrid, you obviously have your left eye closed during your observations or were asleep these last few months. I see that you consider yourself somewhat of an intellectual by your patronizing posts to Renny. Being an intellectual perhaps you should research the differentiation between a certificate of live birth and a birth certificate. They are truly quite different documents, you actually may learn something. I tend to think the birth issue a moot point for now, perhaps when investigated later in 2012 or 2013, subsequent to Obama as a sitting President the results could truly be quite an interesting case study. By the way, most people have been informed of Obama's historic church and pastor, Reverend Wright, you know, God damn America, wealth redistribution and reparation, you know enforced through Federal law by Attorney General Eric "My People" Holder.

March 17, 2011 at 4:55 pm |
      • ingrid

Monster Zero, I think you should reread my posts. I do not fancy myself to be an intellectual but I do read the news, and listen to the radio. I did got to school. I try to keep informed. If that defines me as an intellectual to you, then I guess thank you?

Regarding responding to posts, I do try to be respectful. But when people say something sill like
        claiming that Obama is a muslim because he said that there were 57 states does not make one a muslim, right? You can agree with that. Renny also suggested that Obama acts like a muslim. I wondered how because from my view (attends church, follows christian customs and says that he is christian, to me suggest that he is Christian), I have yet to see him act like a muslim.

But in all fairness, I do not think I was patronizing in my tone to Renny. He made arguments that I countered. Regarding Obama's birth certificate, I agree with you it is not worth arguing endlessly about it. But for the record, if the governor of the state is satisfied, the supreme court is satisfied, I am surprised it is not good enough for the birthers, especially as the GOP could have used that to derail the campaign and they did not. To me that says a lot.

Regarding the the church Obama attended. It is a church. That is the only point that I made about it. I am not a fan of the minister there but that does not make it less of a church because Renny, you or I dislike the Minister. Right? I am not going to defend the minister. But I am not going to say that he does not have a church either.

March 17, 2011 at 9:41 pm |
  24. Renny

I wonder if this racist person is still "proud to be an American for the first time in her life."

March 17, 2011 at 2:31 pm |
    • ingrid

That is silly...it was a quote taken out of context. I think most of us understood her to mean that she never thought in her lifetime would she imagine that a black man could be president. Considering that is likely her grandparent could have been slaves, it is a great thing that we have a black president. It is amazing really.

If you can forgive her phrasing, I think her actions speaks louder than words. She is elegant, poised first lady that has worked for veterans and has championed healthy eating. What is wrong with that?

March 17, 2011 at 10:41 pm |
  25. Renny

Your comment is awaiting moderation.

Of course Obama is a Muslim. He visited all "57" states. He said that he "mispoke," I don't buy it. Someone in his position should be smarter than your average bear and would not "mispeak" by such a large amount. But here is something to ponder.....there are 57 Islamic states.......Things that make you go "hmmmmm."

March 17, 2011 at 2:39 pm |
    • ingrid

So when Obama said that there were 57 states that makes him a muslim. Does all the verbal gaffes that BOTH BUSHES made when in office make them muslims then? Clinton made verbal slips too...muslim?

March 17, 2011 at 3:07 pm |
      • Renny

Ok, answer me this, how did he come by that particular number to mispeak by? Why not 49, or 51 or even 52, any one of which would be an understandable mistake considering our outlying territories. You and the other "believers" need to wake up before he invites you all to Gyanna (spelling?). If it walks like a duck, quacks like a duck, it just might be a duck. He is definitely not pro USA and neither is his wife. Though she, at least is getting a little better about hiding it.

March 17, 2011 at 3:27 pm |
    • Notfooled

57 States-–President Obama was in Florida that morning to give a speech and had just learned minutes before that his grandmother in Hawaii had died. So Renny put your silly conspiracies to rest.

March 18, 2011 at 4:46 am |
      • Renny

Again, why that particular number? You have not given a reasonable justification for that number. I could understand 51, 52 (due to our outlying territories), or even 49. But 57? The exact number of Islamic states. I am not a conspiracy theorist, I just notice things.

March 18, 2011 at 9:22 am |
    • George Guadiane - Austerlitz, NY

If you are going to count mistakes of THIS president while speaking, you also need to compare and contrast with the clearly "misunderestimated" President Bush. AND, if moronic misspeak is a measure of ANYTHING, President Bush should have won a Nobel prize or Olympic gold medal for it.

March 21, 2011 at 11:39 am |
  26. Renny

Republicans – give people opportunities to make their lives better through their hard work. Democrats – Keep people dependent on the government handouts, and prevent people from improving their lot in life, if a person works hard and makes more, democrats want to take it away and give it to someone that has their hand out.

March 17, 2011 at 2:52 pm |
    • ingrid

There is a saying that if a democrat and a republican sees someone that is drowning, the democrats throws out a lifesaver with too much rope attached to it and republican throws out a life safe that has a rope that is too short. I think there is truth to this idea.

March 17, 2011 at 3:03 pm |
      • Renny

So, when the people that are working hard to improve their lot in life get tired of the more they make getting taken away by the democrats to be given to the lazy people with their hands out (spreading the wealth), and decide not to work anymore and put their hand out too, what will the democrats to then? There will be no one left for them to take away from. The result will be turning America into a 3rd world country.

March 17, 2011 at 3:23 pm |

Actually Ingrid,
        The Democrat wants to throw out a life saver with a rope, but the Republicans OWN the rope and don't want to get it wet (who knows what goes on in ":that" water?)>
        Republicans want to watch and see if he can make it to shore then stand by the guy when the press takes his picture and claim that he (the Republican) "knew" that he (the "swimmer") could do it all the time, and SEE, our ideology works.

If he drowns, Republicans just go home to supper.

March 21, 2011 at 11:45 am |
  27. ingrid

Gaylon,

This is my last post directed to you as now you have shown me how silly you are. I thought I was writing to someone who was swayed by facts not fiction.

So you claim that Obama several times has claimed to be a muslim. Really. Where have you seen this? Did he tell you this?? Because I have NEVER seen this on any reputable news source. In fact, I have heard him say several times that he was a Christian.

You claim that during the pledge of allegiance or when the national anthem is heard that Obama grabs his crotch not his heart. Ok. Everytime? Because that is just a weird claim. To be fair , I will not argue if he did grab his crotch or not because it seems to me that men do grab their crotches at weird time generally , so I will not rule out as a possibility but I have to say that I would be hard pressed to believe he does it every time?? Is that what you are saying???

Regarding Churches as you brought this up, I am fairly certain I have seen Palin at a church where they talk in tongues. There is actual photos of this. That is ok with you?? I for one find that a bit odd. I do agree that the people were unfairly attacking Palin's kids. I think Politicians are targets but their kids should not be targets of verbal attacks. Kids are off limits. For instance, I think my dislike for Rush LImbaugh began when he made fun of Chelsea Clinton as a teenager. Kids are off limits.

Lastly, as you are clearly a birther....the birth certificate is valid. It HAS BEEN shown many many times to be VALID. It has been certified by reputable agencies and both Republican and Democrats have acknowledged it was real. On top of that, I have a hard time thinking that when he was running for President the GOP would not have challenged him on this issue if it were an issue. I am fairly certain that he has done all that he needs to do to show that was born here. Should he bring it to your house personally?? Seriously, this makes me doubt the sanity of people in this nation when this issue comes up and is kept in the media's attention. It is a tactic used by the GOP to distract.

One final point, my claim that Obama is a christian is based on the fact that he says he a christian not because of the church he attended. By the way, I may not be a fan of his old church but it is a church. You may not like it either but it does not make it less of a church because you or I dislike the minister. Just as I do not like a lot of churches in the South that pray for others' demise, I recognize that they are churches...just bad churches.

March 17, 2011 at 2:57 pm |
  28. ingrid

Renny,

Obama does not go to mosque. He celebrates christmas. He has a history of going to church. So what makes your case that he is a muslim? Because he lived in Indonesia as a child? Give me something to work with? Is he building mosque? The only thing that you have for the Muslim argument is that his name is different.
    My names suggests that I am german. Hmmm. I must be one because of my name. I met a kid with the name hunter. He must be a hunter because of his name. Again, Renny give me something that proves he is Muslim. You say if it walks like a duck and quakes like a duck it must be...but if Obama says he is christian, celebrates christmas, goes to church that duck seems to be looking more like a christian than a muslim. Making a slip about 57 ....that is not evidence. Calling upon ALLAH and attending a mosque while reading the korean is more like evidence that someone might be muslim, but in all fairness, it really is circumstantial until that person says that they are muslim.

March 17, 2011 at 3:41 pm |
    • Renny

You are right, it is circumstantial. I saw in an interview with stepanopolis (sp?), when he was asked if he was christian, he actually hedged. He said he celebrates the christian holidays, things of that nature, but he did not and would not when pressed by the interviewer, say that he is christian. That is not heresay, I watched that interview.

March 17, 2011 at 3:48 pm |
  29. ingrid

Regarding helping others, I am of the belief that we should help others. I know someone who works but because of her circumstance needs government assistance, I am glad my tax dollars can help people who help themselves. But I am also happy to help those who are not able to work such as those who are disabled. That is a good use of my tax dollars.

March 17, 2011 at 3:45 pm |
    • Renny

In this respect I agree with you, I have no problem with giving people a "hand-up." What I have a problem with is giving people "hand-outs."

March 17, 2011 at 3:50 pm |
      • ingrid

Then we are not disagreeing and surprise I am a democrat.

March 17, 2011 at 4:14 pm |
      • Renny

I'm not suprised we agree on some things. I'm not extreme right. I am more conservative/centrist in belief.

March 18, 2011 at 9:26 am |
  30. ingrid

Then Renny if you are determined to say Obama is a muslim based on an interview where he did not say he was a muslim, then you have to at least admit that he is not a devout to the muslim faith as he celebrates Christian holidays (xmas, and easter). You then have to also admit that he is not even close to being even a radical one given his the fact that the females in his family are not covering their heads, and his daughters are all getting super educations at a quaker school which does not have a mosque or teaches the Koran as part of their core studies. So if you are so determined that he is a muslim, what part of his Obama's life supports that he is a muslim??

March 17, 2011 at 4:35 pm |
    • Renny

I agree, if he is a Muslim, he is not showing that he is a devout one. But then again, in his position, if he did show he is a devout Muslim, he probably would not be in his current position very long.

March 18, 2011 at 9:25 am |
  31. Liz Carter in Georgia

WELL SAID; @Chris, @George Guadiane-Austerlitz, NY, @OneMoreTime, @ingrid; you go girl! @Thomas, @Marla, NJfinest2009, @T, @eunice a, @XWnglady, @pete, dev, @rafael and all of the rest of our liberal troops in OBAMA COMPANY on this blog! LOL! I couldn't have said it any better myself! Thank you for your in depth, logical, reasonable, and justifying comments for our PRESIDENT, his efforts to rehab this nation, and his wife. These haters are just a hateful, sick bunch of buffoons! Keep up the GOOD WORK!

March 17, 2011 at 6:55 pm |
    • Jay in NC

Oh, Liz, you left me out of that list. Am I doing a good job?

March 18, 2011 at 5:25 am |
  32. Liz Carter in Georgia

@Gaylon Barrow; You're the only one who's stiil claiming PRESIDENT BARACK H OBAMA's a MUSLIM and a man who doesn't love this country, because he did not salute the flag or the National Anthem; instead he grabbed his crotch! You've blogged this over and over and over! If this has affected you SO badly, and if this is TRUE, it seems you're among a few who really noticed it or even care! Were you the only one paying attention to the MAN grabbing his crotch? Are you jealous of his crotch or are you gay?!?

March 17, 2011 at 7:54 pm |
    • Notfooled

Liz Carter in Georgia-–I think Gaylon Barrow is TOTAL FACTS -remember him. He has the same stories about being in the military for 30 years and how he loves Sarah Palin. LOL

March 18, 2011 at 4:52 am |
  33. w34dkd3

I wish she would write it herself.
    Chapter 1. How to get federal employees to create a garden for you.
    Chapter 2. Wearing $500 shoes to a garden photo-op to take credit for other people's work.
    The end

March 17, 2011 at 10:28 pm |
    • George Guadiane - Austerlitz, NY

You would have complained that, it was "undignified."
      If she had worn cheap sneakers you would have said it was "undignified."
      Anyone can find ANYTHING they want to, and you CLEARLY WANT to.

March 21, 2011 at 11:52 am |
      • Jay in NC

And some people can not see the truth George. You would support them no matter what they did.

March 21, 2011 at 11:56 am |

@ Jay in NC:
        Clearly, you don't know me. I am disappointed with this President on a number of levels.

Mrs Obama is trying to help children. Not, in my opinion, in a political way.

Context is everything.
        Read any of the posts I responded to... The snarky comments and downright ignorance is, for the most part, what I'm responding to. Read what I've written, consider this statement and then tell me what you think about me and my positions.

I wonder if w34dkd3 would get their hands dirty or dress down if they had the option.

March 22, 2011 at 9:40 am |
  34. Marie

I cannot belive that Michelle is in the garden planting seeds and etc. What a great photo – op ! The Obama's are liars from the start and the American public is just now starting to realize it. How sad it was that the idiots that voted for Obama are just now realizing thier mistake. Your Grandparents, Parents, Children and Grandchildren will pay for your mistake of voting for him. I hope you can sleep at night !

March 18, 2011 at 4:23 am |
    • George Guadiane - Austerlitz, NY

I sleep quite well. I will PROUDLY vote for him again (so far)...

What Republican do you hold up as a good replacement?

March 21, 2011 at 11:53 am |

@ Jay in NC:

Here is a perfect example of what I mean, care to respond to this one?

March 22, 2011 at 9:42 am |
  35. ingrid

Give me a break W34dkd3 and Marie, first of all the garden is symbolic. Though it is used by the white house so it is functional but know one really expects Michelle Obama to be in the garden all the time. All Presidents do photo ops and for you to make a big deal with it is silly. Did you really think that Bush was helping at the towers after 9-11. I am not faulting him for being there, I am just saying that part of the job is to have inspiring photos for the public, especially after disasters or to push an agenda. Michelle's is healthy eating. What is wrong with that??

Michelle Obama is probably could write the book easily for herself given her excellent education. I do not see what your problem is. I am sure Obama wrote his books, do you really think that George Bush wrote his???? Seriously?
    So let us not have too many double standards.

Marie, I am glad I voted for Obama. He is smart, deliberative, and has a true vision. I do not agree with all of decisions and have been disappointed at times, but I know I am way happier with him in office than McCain and Palin. Talk about a horrible legacy to leave our children. Would you have voted for McCain and Palin? McCain did not even understood the scope of our economic problems when he was campaigning and Palin had just left the country for the first time to enhance her poor resume. She has no understanding of world history, geography and did not even have a clear grasp of American History. Whereas Obama was in the top % at Harvard Law (that is how you get on the HLR), taught constitutional law at Chicago University (one of the best schools in the country) and had been a practicing lawyer. Compare resumes. Palin really had a limited time as a governor and although people like to say that she has more experience as a public servant, not really when you compare that Obama was a senator from a much more complex state (population size, diversity, infrastructure) compared to Alaska (although beautiful). So yes, Marie I sleep at night far better than I would if McCain was President.

March 18, 2011 at 12:09 pm |
  36. Liz Carter in Georgia

@Notfooled; You got that right! I hadn't even thought about that! It sure is the same spew that TOTAL FACTS used to claim! Especially with the repeated claims of the PRESIDENT grabbing his crotch! Yes, and his lust for PALIN! TOTAL FACTS all over again under a different alias; I guess he found out his facts weren't 'totally facts' after all! So he's trying to sell that garbage under Gaylon Barrow! GOOD LOOKING OUT!

March 18, 2011 at 5:04 pm |
  37. Liz Carter in Georgia

Jay, you have got to be kidding! You must be being sarcastic again! LOL! GOOD ONE! VERY FUNNY! LOL!

March 18, 2011 at 5:11 pm |
  38. goodearth

Hopefully she will advise people to get a soil sample before planting a garden as HER white house garden was planted in toxic waste. WTG!

March 21, 2011 at 2:12 pm |
    • Jay in NC

Thank you goodearth for posting this link. I have complained about this for a long time, can not get the Liberals to see the truth about The First Date's organic garden. This year I noticed that they do have raised beds, I hope the soil was imported (not from Japan.)

March 22, 2011 at 12:06 pm |
  39. Jay in NC

@George Guadiane – Austerlitz, NY,
    You asked me what I think, well you are making a few 'snarky comments' of your own. Such as...."I'm SURE that Sarah ("where's my check") Palin and the rest of ..."

What does Gov. Palin have to do with this? She has not made a comment about the White House Garden as far as I know, defiantly not on this blog. This would be like a conservative telling jokes about Lieberman or what ever his name was that lost the VP bid. You put Gov. Palin down for making money from a book, yet Barry made millions from his books. You put her down for misspeaking then dismiss Barry's outlandish comments. You have a double standard my friend.

It has been over two years from the election. Time for Barry to take the training-wheels off and get to work and take responsibility for his actions and inactions.

March 22, 2011 at 11:57 am |
    • George Guadiane - Austerlitz, NY

Sarah Palin went postal about The first lady and "trying to control what we eat." She has been all over the place on this area, if not on this specific news item or this blog. I'm surprised she hasn't made a comment about this, she does (and she NEVER EVER likes this President, his wife, what they stand for, what they believe in. She manages to find fault and in the least elegant/eloquent way... "how's that hopey changey thing workin' for yah?" for instance.

And, yes, I think the quitter left office to get bigger and more checks. It really looks like what she does is for money... Not that there is anything wrong with that, necessarily, but her game makes her look like she is only in it for herself, and she'll shake any tree that might have money in it.

As far as it goes, the regular suspects (and a few more) HAVE made insulting, racist, incorrect statements about the First Lady and the President. It seems to be "what they do."

Tell me, if you can of any actions or statement that President Obama has taken or stated and not accepted responsibility for?

I'll go a little further and guess that you would have a FIT if he actually did what he was hired to do. "Progressives" everywhere are very disappointed in MOST areas where he has made concessions with the Ultra "Right" wing of the once great Republican Party. They (and you, probably will never be satisfied with any action that this President takes till he leaves office after his second term.
      Keep in mind, if the "Right" keeps up with their chuckle headed nonsense, he will be handing the keys to the White House over to another Democrat.

March 22, 2011 at 6:24 pm |
      • Jay in NC

And you think Barry likes Gov. Palin? Yea, right. They hate everything she stands for, what she believes in.
        Again Barry made millions on the sale of his books. I fail to see a problem with an American being prosperous.

He has not taken responsibly for Guantanamo Bay facility. Remember how he promised to return America to the "moral high ground" Jan 22, 2009 signed authorization to close with in one year.

March 22, 2011 at 6:38 pm |

@ Jay:
        I don't think the Obama's "hate" what she stands for (whatever that actually is). As I said, I have nothing against making money. RELUCTANTLY, and at the request of his Party, Mr Obama left his post to become president. Ms. Palin left her post to get paid. There is a significant difference in motive.
        AND, how one says a thing has value. Ms Palin speaks as if she has some kind of authority / relevance. She really goes WAY outside her limits to try and SOUND important. In my opinion and experience, it only serves to reduce her credibility.

You're right about Guantanamo. No excuses from me... He failed us, but would you really rather those people were held in America (for the record, I'd be fine with it)?
        He SHOULD have gone for Medicare for all.
        There are any number of things where he came up short for the people who elected him. He IS somewhat of a disappointment on a number of items, but on the whole, he is still better for me and my ideology than any of the potential Republican candidates.

March 22, 2011 at 9:01 pm |
  40. Jrhosh

@george. Guantanamo was not closed because the party of no refused to go along. They used fear again to stop the closing. Illinois has a brand new high security, state of the art prison sitting vacant because there is no money to run it. It was picked to house these prisoners but fear of escapes etc. Allowed the politicians disallow the transfer. How silly, when was the last escape from a high security prison in the USA? The just say no party stopped Obama again so he could not fulfill another promise. Illinois could use those prisoners and the federal dollars and jobs it would bring.

July 19, 2011 at 11:06 am |