Michelle Obama's advice to mothers
President Obama and first lady Michelle Obama with daughters Sasha and Malia at the White House earlier this year.
March 23rd, 2011

Michelle Obama's advice to mothers

(CNN) – On the one year anniversary of the passage of President Obama's controversial health care bill, the first lady is writing about the law's benefits and even sharing a personal story about how preventive medical services helped her family.  On the Yahoo website "Shine," targeted at women seeking parenting advice, Michelle Obama writes how "surprised" she was a few years back when her daughters' pediatrician told her at a well-child visit that "we needed to start paying better attention to what we were feeding our girls."  Mrs. Obama confided that she had always had "the best intentions to feed my kids healthy food on a budget knowing that sometimes pizza or the drive-thru were inevitable."  Mrs. Obama is known for her initiative to combat childhood obesity, called "Let's Move".
The first lady goes on to explain about measuring a child's BMI, or body mass index, which could be a warning sign of possible childhood obesity. The pediatrician warned Mrs. Obama that her daughters' BMI measurement was "creeping upwards".  Mrs. Obama writes that preventive medical procedures like a BMI screening or other preventative screening measures like mammograms and colonoscopies are now easier for many Americans to get because of the health care bill.  She writes the bill, the Affordable Health Care Act, requires "new insurance plans to cover preventive services like BMI screenings without any kind of deductible, co-pay or co-insurance."

Good news, but only for those who have insurance.  According to the latest numbers from the Census Bureau, 50.7 million Americans or 16.7% of the population has no health insurance.

Topics: Health care • Michelle Obama • The Family • The News

« Previous entry
  1. L_Museum

Thank you Michelle for your work towards bring healthier choices into schools for our kids. This was decades overdue!

March 23, 2011 at 6:05 pm |
  2. Jay in NC

OK, so a few kids get up and shake it, good for them, however, sorry, but this story is a myth. Think about it. Have you ever seen a picture of her kids where they looked over weight? No, this is just part of the spin machine trying to make her out to be a caring person. The only thing The First Date cares about is her next vacation.

March 23, 2011 at 6:45 pm |
  3. tonigbourne

I would recommend this health insurance plan i found through "wise health insurance" to anyone with a growing family who is looking to minimize their medical expenses.

March 24, 2011 at 3:31 am |
  4. BLC2005

Jay, I am convinced that if you were drowning and Michelle offered you a hand to safety, you would cuss her out and continuing drowning rather than grab her hand to safety.

March 24, 2011 at 10:32 am |
    • Jay in NC

I can appreciate your analogy, however drowning implies that I am not yet dead and therefore have a chance of continuing to live. Your analogy also implies that she would offer her hand. I seriously doubt that she is that caring. Mind you this is a person that did feel national pride until her husband was elected president. Man oh, man what a lofty goal to set. I will not be proud of my country for defeating the Nazi in WWII, ending slavery, giving aid to starving children around the world until Barry becomes president. Or did she mean that she only feels proud that he is president? Who knows. The bottom line is I do not trust her and would refuse her 'help' but continue to seek other options.

March 24, 2011 at 12:14 pm |
      • Alex

So you don't know her personally and you don't trust her. Which public figure would you trust? Is there some other "substantial" reason clouding your judgment? You claim she may not be that caring, but if your researched her background she was an executive in a hospital and committed to wellness efforts. Let's say you're ignorant and can't research public figure before spewing dust, don't you see her lifestyle, her figure, her family etc, how fit they look? Say passion is not in what she's doing and you're the buffoon of the century (ok, I exaggerated the insult, but you're a buffoon simple.)

March 25, 2011 at 8:39 am |
      • Jay in NC

IAlex, you disappointed me. I had hoped that you would not resort to the typical Liberal attack of name calling and questioning someones intelligence. I guess you wanted me to say; "Golly, I don't have a clue how to read an internet. Maybe the community organizer can show me some pictures. Naw, that's OK, I'll just use this piece of card board."

According to factcheck.org she made $316,962 in 2005 as a vice president. That's not bad pay for charity work, and who knew passion would pay so well. As far as her family being fit, that is my point. The story is a myth. They are fit and I do not believe the doctors ever told her that her kids were over weight. It is also a fact that she said that she did not feel proud of her country. If I said the same thing I guarantee that you, or others, would have called me worse than a buffoon.

March 25, 2011 at 10:51 am |
  5. Liz Carter in Georgia

Michelle Obama did NOT say she was NOT proud of her country. She said that she could TRULY say that she's proud of her country! Yes, her statement was in the light of all of the tribulations minorities living in this country have had to face down, not only running and FINALLY winning the presidency, she meant that this was a symbolic suggestion that HER COUNTRY was FINALLY on the road to real change in it's supremast behavior! After all of these years, a black man can FINALLY become PRESIDENT of the US!

March 25, 2011 at 2:52 pm |
  6. Liz Carter in Georgia

BTW, had he not been her husband, she would've felt and probably made the same remark. Many of us felt the same way. There were many liberal whites who felt that way. Any intelligent person would've felt and said, YES! we're getting there as a nation of ONE! I'm sure anyone who is concerned or even interested in the history of this nation and it's accomplishments are proud of those accomplishments, but we still had a long way to go; and we still do it seems! SLAVERY was abolished, but the mentality wasn't!

March 25, 2011 at 3:05 pm |
  7. Liz Carter in Georgia

AMERICA has tossed many of it's ILLS, but we're still a work in progress! WE HAVE NOT ARRIVED! Each time a novelty event or action occurs in our nation, it stands out like a sore thumb. One that can build even more pride or shame in our country! That doesn't mean we lost pride for the strides we already made! An intellect would obviously know that MICHELLE was only trying to attest to becoming more and more proud of her country, by in the moment saying, she could 'truly' say she was proud of her country!

March 25, 2011 at 3:29 pm |
    • Jay in NC

ABC reported this..

February 18, 2008 Speaking in Milwaukee, Wisconsin, she said, "for the first time in my adult life I am proud of my country because it feels like hope is finally making a comeback."

You can also see the video, she made this speech at least 3 times. She is clearly saying that 'for the first time.' Not that she is growing more proud, but that she for the fist time is proud. You can try and spin it anyway you want but the truth is there.

If you are not proud of all that this country has given you then try living in Europe or Africa. I argue that every minority group that arrived here and their descendants are better off than the ones that were left behind. Go try and live in any part of Africa, talk about slavery, it is still alive and well there. Blacks enslaving blacks today. Not the white man, black men. If you dream for the good old days of Europe, go ahead, enjoy the old country, women where only given the right to vote in Switzerland in 1971. In France thet are still treated like second class citizens.

I am proud of my country, it stands out above the rest mainly because of the fact that it can change and improve. We are not stuck in tradition like the rest of the world. We always can improve, but that is no reason to not be proud here and now.

March 25, 2011 at 4:05 pm |
  8. Liz Carter in Georgia

BTW, Evidently we didn't defeat the NAZI; they are right here with us in AMERICA, quietly and secretly living in pockets throughout AMERICA, in the WHITE SUPREMASTS and ARYAN ORGANIZATIONS, so don't used that as a total AMERICAN accomplishment. We did not extinguish the aryans' supremast mentality. It's almost like the dream from the civil rights movement; you killed the man, MARTIN LUTHER KING, and many other; but you can't kill the dream!

March 25, 2011 at 3:40 pm |
    • Jay in NC

Liz, I think you have sunk to a new low. You owe the families of the over 400,000 service people that died defeating the Nazis. To say you are not proud of the sacrifices that our country has made is inexcusable.

March 25, 2011 at 4:18 pm |
  9. Liz Carter in Georgia

Did I say I wasn't proud of my country? I said, 'I'm sure that anyone who is concerned or even interested in the history of this nation and it's accomplishments are proud of those accomplishments; but we still had a long way to go'. Now you can LIE and ACCUSE me all you want, but my posted words speak for me! You're not the only one reading them. So take your time! You're the one who even brought up those subjects to say that MICHELLE OBAMA was NOT proud of those things, and she'd just become proud in 2008!

March 25, 2011 at 7:42 pm |
  10. Liz Carter in Georgia

About your remark that I 'owe the families', I'll have you know once again I am of one of those families! My grandmother had 3 sons in WW2 at the same time; my father and his 2 brothers! My mother had 2 brothers in at the same time! So don't ever try to say I'm not proud of our soldiers sacrifices! YOU couldn't be any prouder than I am; but I WILL continue to call out lingering and manytimes hidden injustices, bigotry, racism, double-standardness, and hate in this country, period! YOU HATE MICHELLE OBAMA!

March 25, 2011 at 8:03 pm |
  11. Liz Carter in Georgia

You hate the FIRST LADY and don't even know her! You talk about people calling names but you do too! You recently called out a poster for using the term 'whore' about a certain person. You said something along the lines of 'leave up to liberals to call names'. What do you think 'THE FIRST DATE' is? You're in essence calling her a 'whore'! Accusing her of only being interested in DATES & vacations! That's what whores do! They solicit DATES! You think you're smart, but you aren't! Proud of your country, huh?

March 25, 2011 at 8:29 pm |
    • Jay in NC

No, Liz, The First Date is a title not a name. She earned the title for insisting that Barry take her on date night. This comes from her own interviews about how their relationship works. Barry would visit her and the kids in Chicago and they would go on 'date night.' He would often only stay for a few hours then head back to his home. She has said herself that this is the first time that they have lived as a family in the same house and that their relationship has been primarily dates.

March 26, 2011 at 9:02 am |
  12. Liz Carter in Georgia

In reference to your remark insenuating that we go back to AFRICA, if I ever decide to go back it will be because I want to, not because the 'MAN' suggests that I go back, simply because he can't see me as a person of color who's just as AMERICAN as he is, don't want to give me the same respect, full and complete rights to the SAME opportunities, and total justices that he gives himself! You got us over here now; so most of us plan to stay on; recouping every opportunity that has ever been stolen from us!

March 25, 2011 at 8:52 pm |
    • Jay in NC

Liz the word twister. I said " If you are not proud .... then try living in Europe or Africa." Get off your victim horse and grow up. I clearly was just saying look how much better we have it here than there. You want to sit around and complain about the man while African children are being killed by your president. And talk about slavery, What have you done to end slavery in Africa? What has the black community done to end this horror?

March 26, 2011 at 9:08 am |
  13. Liz Carter in Georgia

'You owe the families.....'; To say you are not proud of the sacrifies our country has made is inexcusable'. That is a point blank accusation; no ifs, ands, or buts in it, period! In your next post you offered the suggestion for me to leave! This is all on the same topic; we don't have to look back, OK? Why haven't AMERICANS period, been interested in stopping slavery in AFRICA? You all are to busy trying to keep us living under it SUBTLY, and we're kept from pulling our ownselves up completely over here!

March 26, 2011 at 11:00 pm |
  14. Liz Carter in Georgia

As long as any one or any group of us is still VICTIM, and there are many, including this PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED STATES, HIS WIFE, AND FAMILY, I will be riding the victim horse! When one of us are mistreated, I'm being mistreated and I promise you, for me personally, I probably could climb down off of the victim horse; but until we all are treated with our just due respect in EVERY venure, I'LL be riding that victim horse like OLD ANNIE OAKLEY! OK? They HOPE it'll go away; won't acknowledge it, but I CAN!

March 26, 2011 at 11:17 pm |
  15. Liz Carter in Georgia

What have you done to end slavery in AFRICA, since you want to use it as leverage to what's going on here! Since you really want to act like you are SO concerned and overpowered with compassion. What has the whiteman done about slavery in AFRICA? Oh, my bad! You didn't want it abolished here! We can still feel it's lingering sting! Many of us are so proud that are not where we used to be, until we've become satisfied with where we are! So since you stop beating us, we should be grateful you just trip us up?

March 26, 2011 at 11:33 pm |
  16. Liz Carter in Georgia

To tell you the truth Jay, your total response to my answers and responses TO YOU was totally assinine and oblivious! I really don't see why I have even tried to re-respond to your excuses! YOU OWE ME AN APOLOGY! You know I'm right, MR 'SUPERIOR'!

March 26, 2011 at 11:42 pm |
    • Jay in NC

No pride in your country, no pride in the fact that white men died to free black people over 140 years ago. You do not know who is a descendants of those brave men, you attack all white men equally, that is racism pure and simple. You are the modern racist.

In Africa, black men make slaves of black men, women and children. It is a fact, The black race is the only race that has slaves. What is the excuse? I guess Liberals think President Bush did that also. You want to be called African-American is that because you embrace the slave culture of modern Africa?

Liz, you lied about me the other day. On the post about Barry having the blood of African children on his hands. You claimed that I said that before he dropped the bombs. Well no I said it because he dropped the bombs. Go way back and look at that post and you will see were I gave the dates and times of my responses. I even gave you the tools to see the truth, on how to search this blog on google and my for my post. You lied and have not apologized.

March 27, 2011 at 7:37 am |
  17. Liz Carter in Georgia

Jay, I've acknowledged that I may have been wrong about you on dates prior to the date 3-19; as a matter of fact I'm the one that already mentioned that you EVEN posted that nasty, disparaging blog about the president on MAR 19! I explained why I may have been wrong! I found myself defending his 'thoughtful' decision not to go to LIBYA, any sooner than he did, to SO many who claimed he was dithering and should've already been gone! I was sure one of them HAD to be you! I WAS MISTAKEN! I don't kiss butt now!

March 27, 2011 at 9:20 pm |
  18. Liz Carter in Georgia

About you AFRICAN CHILDREN remark, though, I STILL disagree with your reckless analogy that OBAMA has 'blood on his hands he can't wash off' for bombing, anyway! He ordered US intervention in effort to save the children from untimely deaths by their own leader! Furthermore, FRANCE and GREAT BRITAIN were doing the bombing! You continue to LIE on me and MICHELLE OBAMA by saying WE don't have pride in our country! Apologize! It's not the country; it's the lingering, biggoted mentality of SOME of it's people!!

March 27, 2011 at 9:45 pm |
  19. Liz Carter in Georgia

Oh, you have sunk to a new low by even suggesting that I'm not thankful to ABRAHAM LINCOLN, WILLIAM SHERMAN, and any other whiteman who fought and some died for AFRICANS in this countrys' freedom from chattell slavery! I LOVE MY YANKEES! It's the REBELS I often address! Sorelosers! You LIE on me by accusing me of being a 'modern racist'?!? And saying I 'attack all white men equally'! I have white people in my family who are good, respectable, intelligent people, married to cousins and other family members!!

March 27, 2011 at 10:10 pm |
  20. Liz Carter in Georgia

They are just as stumped as I am that this mentality and these old preconceptions still exist in the UNITED STATES! I know very well that all white people don't think like many of you on this blog. They are actually and truly ashamed of it!

March 27, 2011 at 10:15 pm |
  21. DCS

michelle said that she was never proud of her country until the day obama was elected. looks to me she has self intrest only like any other liberal. she praises to be a health junky yet she admitted on national tv that she sneaks out of the white house without secret service to go to local burger king. now i see where her ass came from. just another hypocrite liberal junkie. i was poud of my country UNTIL obama was elected. Looking at the 2008 statistics 96% blks voted for obama. most of them obviously voted for racial reasons as you see the white vote was 50-50. as i see blks have still yet to get over slavery and say the white man opressed them. Yet we have blk's like hermain cain that did something for himself he didnt sit back and collect like the other 96% of blks. i have come to the conclusion that blks are now more racist then blk or "colored" people and it is ashame. you give them a lot that we dont have to and they still complain its not enough. You liberals are more concerned about what Mitt does with HIS money and are not focused or worried about what obama is doing with YOUR money. Obama has spent a record amount of money and yet nothing has been done. Im sorry but i dont want my country to turn out anything like illinois where obama is from. Top Murder rate of america! and top state Debt to GPD in america of 20%. HORRIBLE! Romney 2012!!!!

July 15, 2012 at 11:28 pm |