“30 Rock” star visits CNN at the White House
April 5th, 2011

“30 Rock” star visits CNN at the White House

WASHINGTON (CNN) -– The star of the hit television comedy “30 Rock” made a stop at 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue this afternoon.

Actor Alec Baldwin was at the White House for a meeting with staffers over funding for the arts. While on campus, he stopped by the CNN cameras to tape an interview with HLN’s Joy Behar Show which will air tonight.

In the interview, Baldwin pointed out that the areas in danger of losing funding are the places across the country without many options for cultural arts.

“Where the government stops the funding, it has a tremendous impact, especially on young people. But the argument that I’m really fond of this year is that we don’t want to leave the cultural identity of our children to commercial interests alone,” Baldwin said. “If you leave everything to the music industry, and the movie industry, and the television industry for our young people to kind of develop their own sense of self, self-expression, and their identity, we’re in for a lot of problems in this country.”

Baldwin was in town as part of the Arts Advocacy Day, organized by the non-profit Americans for the Arts. Originally Baldwin was scheduled to testify on Capitol Hill but ironically, because of the showdown with the budget, the hearings were cancelled. Instead he met with various lawmakers privately.

No word on whether he had a chance to stop by the West Wing to see President Obama and to give his two cents on the budget negotiations.

Topics: Alec Baldwin • The Buzz

1. GOP = Greed Over People

Off topic, but then who cares whether Alec Baldwin is at the WH?

Question: CNN, does Spitzer always hold the GOP's feet to the fire like he did the freshman tea bagger? I just happen to have CNN on in the background but I had to get up and go watch the interview. If he always calls out liars like he did on this show, he has a new viewer(just do not move him to the 8 time slot, or he will step on Maddow)

Kudus, I have never watched it other than the first couple when what's her face was on and I was snoring, but no sleeping during tonight's episode!!!

I will watch again tomorrow just to see if tonight was a fluke, but I am giving him a second chance!

April 5, 2011 at 8:19 pm |
  2. Gaylon Barrow

Two mules one going southbound and the other northbound. Who smelling what. A bunch of Bullc@#$!

April 5, 2011 at 8:41 pm |
  3. Alan

Go Alec!

Please see both Boehmer and Reid while you are there and for my only soon to be 12 yr old 2nd invitro cycle baby girl who has arts talents beyond imagination, tell Boehmer to stop crying and Reid to stop demanding his way or the highway and PLEASE THINK OF OUR CHILDREN.

While the work stoppage this friday and put me out of work, PLEASE HELP THE FUTURE OF OUR COUNTRY, OUR CHILDREN, because essentially neither the new electee's care about the people who didn't elect them, the Republicans who we seem to not be able to get out of office and won't retire or the Democrats like Reid who depended on the President to win his recent re-election

and save our ARTS!. Thank and God Bless you sir

April 5, 2011 at 9:19 pm |
    • Gaylon Barrow

I take it from your whinning your blaming the Republicans for your misfortune. You do know it takes the Congress to set the Budget. If you do then you know the Democrats have been in control of the budget for the past seven years. How does your peanut brain figure the Republicans have us in this disastrous situation. Can you not see this is Obama's goal and that he is a true Muslim. What better way to bring down a nation than to have it go bankrupt, decrease it's military power which he just accomplished in the Libiya situation for stepping aside and letting France lead the Way. We are now a third world country. He's borrowed as much money as he could from our worst enemy besides Islamic in Red China. The man knows what he is doing and with the help of Pelosi, Reid, Biden and Kerry we will becaome a fallen nation. Then and only then you will know the truth. If your not a Christian then woe for you. But if you are then believe what I say is the truth. This is the beginning of the end.

April 6, 2011 at 11:04 am |
  4. Alan

Alec

PLEASE HELP SAVE THE FUTURE FOR OUR CHILDREN, tell Boehmer to stop crying and Reid to stop demanding his way or the highway, and the Tea Baggers who don't care about anything but their own objectives, please help convince them to think of this country's true future for once and SAVE THE ARTS!

Thank and god bless you sir.

April 5, 2011 at 9:22 pm |
  5. ThinkAgain

Gaylon Barrow's comment is typical of the GOP and their supporters: Completely devoid of anything substantial; just a bunch of hateful rhetoric.

You and your ilk are PATHETIC!

April 6, 2011 at 12:49 am |
    • Gaylon Barrow

You know "THINK AGAIN" you're 'bout a bdumb bunny, I am a Democrat just not for your man Obama the liar. I certainly am not for his supporters who like to bash women.

April 6, 2011 at 8:38 am |
      • ThinkAgain

What is a "bdumb bunny"? How has President Obama lied? I don't like the fact that Alec Baldwin has a temper, but it doesn't change the fact that I agree with his argument.

April 6, 2011 at 2:10 pm |
  6. ThinkAgain

A great nation deserves great art – and if you want our country to remain a leader in innovation and technology, then we need to fund creativity at all levels. Otherwise, we're just another second-rate country turning out cookie-cutter people who couldn't find their way out of a paper bag without instructions!

April 6, 2011 at 12:53 am |
  7. ThinkAgain

To all those to whom money means everything, consider this question:

Who took a calligraphy course at Reed College (one of the most liberal Liberal Arts colleges in the U.S.) for no practical reason and on a whim, because he was intrigued by the design and beauty of it?

Steve Jobs, the co-founder of Apple. Yes, that's right, APPLE COMPUTERS.

His background in calligraphy is what inspired his design of Apple's unique graphical user interface (the one that ultimately inspired Bill Gates to adopt for Windows when it first came out).

If you don't believe me, do an Internet search on "Steve Jobs Standford Commencement speech" and hear it for yourself.

So in terms all you money-grubbers can understand, there IS value in art ...

April 6, 2011 at 12:58 am |
    • Jay in NC

Lets get a little PC / Apple history correct. Microsoft developed Mac-OS and the graphical interface for Apple. Their agreement included that Microsoft would delay the release of their GUI and mouse based system until after the Mac. The idea of Mac being ahead of the PC was engineered.

If I understand your point, money-grubbers are trying to stop art classes because they think it will hinder other would-be money-grubbers from getting a start.

April 6, 2011 at 7:31 am |
      • ThinkAgain

Two things: The Macintosh, released in 1984, was the first commercially successful product to use a GUI (if you want to get technical about it, the Xerox PARC was the first computer to "demonstrate the desktop metaphor and graphical user interface (GUI)." It was not a commercial product, however.

Secondly, my point is that money-grubbers don't seem to appreciate anything unless it can somehow generate income. They don't understand intrinsic value; only monetary worth. They aren't against art classes because it may produce others who would compete with them; they are against art classes because they JUST DON'T GET IT.

April 6, 2011 at 2:08 pm |
    • Gaylon Barrow

YOUR POINT IS? Then mind you how is this crud you just spewed going to help us economically. I am so tired of all you what I used to be Democrats it is pitiful. All you can do is say scornful things and not the truth. A Democrat Congress (Seven Years Old Now by the way) has brought all this down upon us. So quit your whinning and you, "THNK AGAIN", go back on your computer and see where we started to go wrong. You'll not have to look any further than the present administration. This man is not for African Americans or any other race. To him we are all infidels. The blame belongs with mame and he's it. See what he has tried to do already and watch closely what he does in the future. I do not know why any of the poor class and I am one of them would be for this guy. He will destroy medicare, Social Security and eventually welfare. You have to understand after he gets everything done with his Obamacare it will not help the poor class one iota. They already are having to pay zero dollars for their care. So wake up and smell the roses. Look at him objectedly and you will see Muslim printed across his forehead. Don't blame it on Bush I wasn't for him either. The shame I feel is I voted for Obama also thinking he would do what he said. He's done none of it. But after six months of watching him closely I saw his non-patriotism jump off the wall by non-saluting the flag or National Anthem at the same time signing bills into law that had not been approved by congress told me what he was. So I vacated the party and intend to do whatever it takes to keep him out of the White House for another 4 years. Don't ask me who I'll vote for because right now I don't have a clue.

April 6, 2011 at 11:21 am |
      • ThinkAgain

You may not have noticed, but the Republicans and their trickle-down economics, tax cuts for the rich during wartime and complete obstructionism have been a MAJOR factor in our country's problems.

How is President Obama "for infidels"? Do you believe that birther garbage about him being born in Kenya? Do you think that religion is genetic?

And what the heck does this mean: "The blame belongs with mame and he's it."

For not one second do I believe you voted for Obama. Anyone who thinks he has "Muslim" written "across his forehead" is a rightwing, birther shill.

One thing you wrote I will agree with: "right now I don't have a clue."

Couldn't have said it better myself!

April 6, 2011 at 2:15 pm |
  8. GJ

Alec Baldwin??? Pleeeeez... he's so stupid, his brain fell out of his head eons ago. Whatever makes CNN think he's got anyh political (or any other) clout??? The guy is such a loser, it's not even funny. Anyone listen to the tape where he berates (in my dictionary it's called abuse!) his daughter. The dude belongs on a remote island where he can't do damage!

April 6, 2011 at 4:20 am |
  9. Right

Dont play up to obama or we can stop watching your show and BOYCOT you too

April 6, 2011 at 5:42 am |
  10. Berceuse1960

"We don’t want to leave the cultural identity of our children to commercial interests alone.”

I'm not sure I'm buying the argument that the children would be better off getting their cultural identity from the government or from Alec Baldwin. Maybe they should be getting it from their parents, their schools, churches, families, neighbors and communities.

April 6, 2011 at 6:19 am |
    • Pat F

Alec Baldwin talking about what is good for children? Let's get Chris Brown to talk about loving relationships. Let's get John Edwards to talk about family values. Let's get Woody Allen to talk about pedophilia.

I would be embarassed to be seen in the same room with Alec Baldwin, a fat, filthy mouthed wreck and a pathetic excuse for a man.

April 6, 2011 at 11:03 am |
  11. jfb

"The star of the hit television comedy “30 Rock” made a stop at 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue this afternoon."

Not sure the definition of "hit" but it is not in the top 25. Last week NBC was in third place (just barely ahead of ABC) out of the 6 broadcast networks. Is CNN now working for NBC now trying to boost viewership? By the way, FOX is a solid number 1.

April 6, 2011 at 7:43 am |
  12. Dennis

Alec Baldwin is the poster child for arrogance.

April 6, 2011 at 10:09 am |
  13. Liz Carter in Georgia

Hello ThinkAgain; I hadn't seen you in a while. You are right; and I'm glad to see you back on this obviously rocky road, to this seemingly 'mission impossible' to oil and pump-start the plasterized brains from their 8 year hiatuses throughout the BUSH/CHENEY REGIME. There's also another major element that we as a nation are yet facing, which has been etched into the portals of many of those brains; that plays a big role in the ongoing stonewalling and non-acceptance of the TRUTH. It's called biggotry.

April 7, 2011 at 11:14 am |