TIME 100 list: Obama honors Giffords
Rep. Gabrielle Giffords (D) AZ, injured in a mass shooting in January has been chosen as one of TIME magazine's 100 most influential people in the world. President Obama who was also on the list wrote a tribute to Giffords for the magazine.
April 21st, 2011

TIME 100 list: Obama honors Giffords

WASHINGTON (CNN)–Injured Arizona congresswoman Gabrielle Giffords is among the one hundred people selected by TIME magazine for its annual list of the 100 most influential people in the world for 2011.  President Barack Obama, who also made that list, wrote the tribute to her for the magazine.

"Gabrielle Giffords may not have been a household name. But the reason she has long been admired by people of all political stripes is that she embodies the best of what public service should be: hard work and fair play, hope and resilience, a willingness to listen and a determination to do your best in a busy world," Mr. Obama wrote.

Giffords was shot in the head in January and six other people were killed when a gunman attacked a crowd gathered for a congressional event in Tuscon.  Giffords has been recovering at a rehabilitation facility in Houston and is expected to attend the launch of the shuttle Endeavour later this month which her husband Mark Kelly will command.  The Obamas are also expected to attend the shuttle launch.

President Obama and his wife Michelle are on this year's list as well as such diverse figures as  Google executive and Egyptian democracy activist Wael Ghomin, House Speaker John Boehner, Secretary of State Hillary Clinton, Facebook founder Mark Zuckerberg, billionaire brothers David and Charles Koch, Prince William and Kate Middleton and comedian Amy Poehler.

Next entry »
  1. street smart

It seems the more Congresswomans Giffords health improves the more Sarah Pay-offs popularity declines in the polls. How ironic. Must be the Lords will, eh whack jobs? LMFAO

April 21, 2011 at 11:40 am |
    • Admonition

Whack jobs, acronym to....... Wight Hierarchy Acculturation's of Cacodoxic Kinetics in Jettatura Occults of Bionic Synoptic's, and she wants to be the president? OMG acronym to Occult's of Malice Gerency. George burns wants to know from beyond the grave, are you scared yet?!, Oh, dearest lord. have mercy on us great divine one!. amen.

April 21, 2011 at 11:33 pm |
      • Admonition

I cant believe no one replied to this one, Jees. Huh! that makes me wonder.

April 23, 2011 at 4:25 pm |
  2. Claudia, Houston, Tx

Mrs. Gifford is truly a strong and brilliant woman and I am sorry for the crosshairs Palin put on her. This should have never happened and we will never forget.

April 21, 2011 at 12:29 pm |
  3. Jay in NC

We will never forget the hate speech from Barry:

** to supporters “They Bring a Knife…We Bring a Gun!”
    ** to supporters “Get in Their Faces!”
    ** to ACORN Mobs: “I don’t want to quell anger. I think people are right to be angry! I’m angry!”
    ** to His Mercenary Army: “Hit Back Twice As Hard!”
    ** on the private sector: “We talk to these folks… so I know whose ass to kick.“
    ** to voters: Republican victory would mean “hand to hand combat!”
    ** to lib supporters: “It’s time to Fight for it.”
    ** to Latino supporters: “Punish our enemies.”
    ** to democrats: “I’m itching for a fight.”

April 21, 2011 at 3:50 pm |
    • Ilsa

McCain loses and you right-wingers spend the next four years seething like a bunch of bitter old trolls. Get over yourself. Go do something charitable.

April 21, 2011 at 5:54 pm |
    • Jane

Talk abt taking comments out of context. The president is not a hatemonger. everything but. Jane

April 23, 2011 at 7:15 pm |
      • Jay in NC

Please, do explain how these quotes are taken out of context.

April 23, 2011 at 7:41 pm |
  4. Frank

Palin will probably demand a boycott of Time magazine now. How dare they put someone that was in her crosshairs on a prestigious list.

April 21, 2011 at 4:36 pm |
    • Admonition

Sarah Palin seems like she might have been a nice woman at some point of her life. I find it dificult to imagine her being a war monger though, but I can imagine her being a puppet war monger and that's even worse!. I will give it a Yikes and E'gads for now.

April 23, 2011 at 4:22 pm |
  5. jerry

ok...kinda like honoring JFK for being sho#? Give me a break, no wonder our children can't tell a hero from a sack of nothing! Marxists don't want you to have real heros...they get in the way of their agenda.

April 21, 2011 at 6:12 pm |
    • Admonition

When you said kid's did you mean Kinetic Intelligence of Demon-ocracy Syndicates?. cause I have seen where coherent adults think tyrants are hero's and when I informed them of their cacodoxic retrocognition they took offense!?. I think we are all doomed. unless we abolish the bush center for indignation. ASAP!. Hurry!... there will be no honor in it.

April 22, 2011 at 12:54 am |
  6. MollyBee

Palin. et.al. lit the fires, Machine Gun Kelly fanned the flames. AZ is ridiculous.

April 21, 2011 at 9:30 pm |
  7. Liz Carter in Georgia

Some people try to fan flames of controversy, hate and anger, while quoting the PRESIDENT, as being a part of this societal anger, as an excuse for being a hateful ass themselves! You're an evil, divisive demon! The only reason PRES OBAMA made those remarks was to make sure that listening, watching and intelligent people, as well as his constituents knew that he felt their hurt, anger and disgust of the troublemakers of anti-change, antagonism, hopefulness of failure, and hate coming from folks like you!

April 21, 2011 at 11:34 pm |
    • Howard

Although many Americans knew it from the beginning ... many more Americans are discovering that when you look behind the screen, the Wizard of Oz is a fake.

With the help of Hollywood special effects, a biased media, and a team of public relations experts, Obama was packaged and sold to the American people.

And, even as the truth comes out, there are still many Obama suckers, who refuse to let go of the belief that the Wizard is a fake.

But, now it's time to take the responsibility of dealing with reality, because the fate of our country, and our children hangs in the balance.

April 26, 2011 at 11:16 am |
    • Admonition

And to top it all off bush administration allowed that perduellious jacobin caacodoxy of obloquious paromology to conspire war by exacerbating the people they wanted to nut up and commit to terrorist acts by instilling obloquiously engineered zygnomic's onto them all until they committed to terrorists acts. (drove them crazy) the bush administration promoted the perduellious ultra secret CIA RMS bionic psychic visual zygnomic abuse that telencephalized extreme obloquy that would make anyone fight tooth and nail. the bush administration wanted war for the chance to land the CIA RMS bionic psychic visual spy manipulations as a private business of private defense contracting and manufacturing after they conspired global terrorism and domestic terrorist attacks against their own country by use of the ultra secret CIA RMS psychic visual bionic spy manipulation's communications systems and medical inhibitation for bionic assimilation turning the common person into a psychic visual spy. the bush administration is a public enemy, abolish the bush center for indignation A.S.A.P!

May 17, 2011 at 7:43 pm |
      • Jay in NC

OK, Admonition, so you have a program that swaps synonyms, or you use MS Word, right click and pick a word from the list. By the way that is a 20+ year ago trick. Big deal,or should I say 'full-size transaction.' Your message gets lost. Not because the reading level has been elevated but because synonyms are not always, well, synonymous.

May 18, 2011 at 7:27 am |
      • Admonition

Hey Jayinnc: the acronym to G.E.T.L.O.S.T is Gerent Eigenvalues of Tyrannous Linguistic's Occult's of Syndicated Tyranny. Go Figure.

June 14, 2011 at 11:34 am |
  8. Admonition

Sara Palin running for president after her name is an acronym to..... Sadomasochist's Acquisitioning Rotarian Acculturations of Paromologist's Acculturations of Linguistics Iniquity of Nomologist's promoting Whack jobs, acronym to....... Wight Hierarchy Acculturation's of Cacodoxic Kinetics in Jettatura Occults of Bionic Synoptic's, that commited to the mass murder shooting spree of the congress on your corner in Arizona that killed a young girl, a judge, othet innocent onlookers and critically wounded a congress woman and she still thinks she has it together enough to be the president of the United States? OMG acronym to Occult's of Malice Gerency. George burns wants to know from beyond the grave, are you scared yet?!, Oh, dearest lord. have mercy on us great divine one!.

April 21, 2011 at 11:42 pm |
    • Jay in NC

Admonition = A Dummy Mouthing Off Nonsense Information To Instigate Operational Neuroses.

April 22, 2011 at 3:43 pm |
      • Admonition

Jay in nc: acronym to..... Jabberwock absurdism of yettatura's Iniquity of nolitious Nomology of Cacodoxy's. your not worth your next breath, please go committ suicide asap!

April 22, 2011 at 5:37 pm |
      • Admonition

Aww cmon, the part where I wrote......... Wight Hierarchy Acculturations Cacodoxic Kinetic's of jettatura Occults in Bionic Synoptics makes sarah Palin the Nomologist's whack job. Dont it?. Im just trying to tell everyone the truth so we all can stop the psychotic CIA RMS operators that think they're going to spy on everyone while they conspire perduellious zetectic's of paromology to recklessly instill malicely engineered ztgmomics. I hope I wrot this one so you can understand it a little better. it's ruderal admonition cause who ever would do this is a technological terrorist and it has to get exposed. not running my mouth could allow your terrorists to control the world. Why do you only have hateful things to say that don't even provide any substance of a proper direction to conquer these problems, are you that much of an unworthy imbecile. you don't offer anything but a worthless argument, are you retarded?. Oh, you're retarded but only to me.

April 22, 2011 at 5:51 pm |
  9. Admonition

Ok, Im not sorry im not sorry!, but I will try and put it nicely. Sarah Palin has a jettatura (evil eye) so do I. I dont like it cause it trys to do things through people it illegally uses as a psychic visual like it did Arizona congress on your corner mass murder loughner was chosen to perform merely cause sarah palin drew that poster. it's the same psychic visual operation of George H. W. Bush's CIA RMS psychic visual spy manipulations that promoted the suicide bombings in the middle east and school shootings in the united states. it has sarah palin hooked up too. look at what it did for her!. (aren't Republicans wonderful) NOT! (Sarah Palin drew the poster look at what happened!.) I never ask anything of it cause I know it's only evil and it only abuses me, I hate it cause it has screwed me around since the second grade of elementary school and I have witness's. I'm a good decent person who likes people, I say what has to be said. catch my drift or remain the worthless inbecile you already are. there you have it, plain and simple. my nick name is Plagiarized Indignation, do you want to try and plagiarize me?.

April 22, 2011 at 6:14 pm |
    • Jay in NC

With supporters like this it is no wonder Barry's approval rating is so low. 42% and falling fast.

April 23, 2011 at 7:39 pm |
      • Admonition

Hey Jay in nc, what do you have to offer?. you don't try for brownie points and you badmouth me as if you think you are some oracle of windsor makes me think you're the jacobin troll here needlessly being put up to your psychotic obloquious attempt at reverse parormology cause of some perduellious zygnomic culrpit that probably processed Sara Palins synoptic's of her jettatura witch craft. what do you have to say about that huh poo poo head?.

April 23, 2011 at 7:53 pm |
  10. Liz Carter in Georgia is a Racist!

In every blog this person fans the flames of racism!

April 24, 2011 at 11:35 am |
    • Jay in NC

Admonition told me "your not worth your next breath, please go committ suicide asap!" You once called for my death and also make racist statements about 'black men working harder then white men.' Wow you Liberals sure are full of hate and violence. I guess that is what happens when you lost all hope and Barry's star is fading fast. A poor end to the once compassionate Democrat party.

April 24, 2011 at 12:33 pm |
      • Admonition

No. Jay in nc, I said that to you cause I know your tactic's of the way you try fitting in makes you a wiseacre in attempt of plagiarizing the credit for what has already been said. there is your lie about me ever saying that to Liz Carter in Georgia.. your audacity is a poor attempt of obloquious paromology and of course your poor attempt at cacodoxic zetectic's but as far as your obloquious retrocognition of democrats makes me see that you support the perduellious republican demon-ocracy.

May 17, 2011 at 5:44 pm |
      • Edna

a few dfssatteiul things, which laymen right-wing media folk (armed with their Associates degree) isolated on You-tube and Fox news to create a talking point. Rev. Wright is not a Minister Faarakan or Khalid Mohammad. He is a standard black preacher, who grew up, being told to sit on the back of the bus. I can understand some animosity. You can't empathize, I doubt you are black. Wrights statements sounded more Anti-American government than Anti-white anyway. Standard angry older black folk talk. The whole thing with the government creating HIV, people on the far right have stated as well. This is based on the FACT that the government experimented with Syphilis on minorities in the 60's. this is documented. If you put yourself in an older black man's shoes, you might understand where Rev. Wright was coming from. This does not mean Obama is Anti-white, racist, Anti-Jewish or anything else. Obama agree with Wright spiritually, I do not think it's appropriate for religious figures to get political. That is my problem with Wright. Pf1This election is simple. Americans understand Republicans are the party of the rich. It took 30 years for everyone to wake up and grasp it. Your party is going to have to change their ways. Race-baiting and scaring Jewish voters is not going to work this timefair, balanced and factual. My motto

March 1, 2012 at 9:35 pm |
      • Admonition

Hi Jay, S.U.I.C.I.D.E acronym to...... Synoptic Underwriter's Iniquity of Cacodoxic Intelligence of Demon-ocratic Eigenvalue-vector-functions. is what ran the suicide bombers, school shooters, mass murder and suicides across the nation Your proving that you are a literary Numenist in cacodoxic incipience.

August 7, 2012 at 11:38 am |
  11. Liz Carter in Georgia

@Liz Carter in Georgia is a Racist; So be it. That's your opinion and possibly the opinion of many others, but I know the problem is, I fan the flames of truth.

April 24, 2011 at 11:34 pm |
  12. Unknown

I think it is ether her or Mohamed Bouazizi who should be Time's Person of the Year. Both have been a great inspiration to all!

April 25, 2011 at 3:02 am |
  13. Barbarmoya

Her receptive and cognitive abilities are there. Hey, if she can raise a hand to vote, she should go for it. We need all the help we can get to keep the other side from demolishing Medicare and other social safety nets. They want to turn America into Calcutta http://bit.ly/gnBlqP

April 26, 2011 at 5:21 am |
  14. Howard

Opportunist and chief ... anything for another photo op !!!

April 26, 2011 at 11:14 am |
  15. Liz Carter in Georgia

'the fate of our country, and our children hangs in the balance'. Well, you may be right about that. However, I believe if instead of hatefully attacking and denigrating him, personally by criticizing his ideas, you and other complaining Obama-bashers stepped up and put a voice to all of your 'wise' suggestions and ideas on how to get us out of the 'balance', which BTW, we have been in MANY times before; even before Barack Obama was born, our leaders may be able to get something done about YOUR complaints!

April 28, 2011 at 11:40 am |
  16. Eldora

You keep it up now, unedsrtand? Really good to know.

June 23, 2011 at 8:24 pm |
  17. Jesse dziedzic

That was a really fun writing!!

October 20, 2011 at 2:24 pm |
  18. Designer Bags Sale!

Extraordinarily well executed piece!!

November 15, 2011 at 9:16 am |
  19. best recipes for tonight

Thank god some bloggers can still write. Thanks for this blog post.

December 9, 2011 at 8:28 am |