Weiner's decision revealed at White House picnic
House Minority Leader Pelosi took a call from Rep. Weiner during Wednesday's Congressional picnic at the White House.
June 16th, 2011

Weiner's decision revealed at White House picnic

WASHINGTON (CNN) - Embattled Rep. Anthony Weiner did not attend the picnic for members of Congress and their staffs at the White House Wednesday night, but that's where some of his colleagues found out he was going to resign.

As CNN's Dana Bash reported, the news of Weiner's impending resignation over a "sexting" scandal started with a phone call to fellow New York Rep. Steve Israel.  Sources say Weiner called Israel, who was at the White House Congressional picnic, to tell him.  Israel then gave the phone to House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi, who also was at the White House event, so that Weiner could officially inform the leader of his decision.

All of this was unfolding as hundreds of lawmakers, staff and their families roamed the South Lawn of the White House, listening to a live U.S. Navy band and indulging in picnic fair with “corny dog” and kettle corn stations, as well as fried chicken and hamburgers.

Bash's source said that Israel and Pelosi went near a tree on the White House grounds to talk to Weiner privately. Weiner told them that he was resigning, and was very remorseful about what he did to his family and his colleagues, especially for causing such a distraction, the source added. Weiner also told Israel and Pelosi that he had talked to his wife, who returned Wednesday from an overseas trip with Secretary of State Hillary Clinton.

Pelosi said Thursday that Weiner will hold a news conference later in the day. She said she would issue a statement after Weiner's news conference.

Topics: Nancy Pelosi • The Buzz

« Previous entry
  1. Chris

Is this really important? I swear sometimes I feel like im fighting for a clueless and lost country.

June 16, 2011 at 1:00 pm |
  2. Margaret

Very sad to see a person throw away a promising career over such stupid behavior.

June 16, 2011 at 1:02 pm |
  3. Burbank

Corn dogs? Fried chicken? So much for setting a good example for Michelle O's "let's eat right" kids. Do as I say, not as I do...

June 16, 2011 at 1:06 pm |
    • Nate

It's a picnic. And maybe they know how to exercise unlike your obviously fat kids or hypocritical fat ass. Give a man something to complain about, and of course you will...

June 16, 2011 at 1:30 pm |
    • tj

Oh for heaven's sake! What part of "everything in moderation" don't you get?

June 16, 2011 at 1:46 pm |
    • bdrigg

Don't be ridiculous. There is nothing wrong with fried chicken and corn dogs as long as you employ moderation and vary your diet. I wouldn't want you at my picnic. We would have to put all the fun away wouldn't we?

June 16, 2011 at 1:56 pm |
    • JacklynD

Oh please. Everything in moderation.

June 16, 2011 at 1:59 pm |
    • whatsupdok

Possum and deep-fried squirrel is good.

June 16, 2011 at 2:37 pm |
    • SunnyJ

Exactly...where's the spinach tortellini with squash sauce from the new CA schools menu? Always rules for thee and none for me with the progressives crowd. If they can condition you to let them control what you put into your body as a child, they know you will instinctively give in to more and more loss of autonomy....right up to the death panel, that tells you your time is up...take this pill...it's good for you...like spinach tortellini with squash sauce.

June 16, 2011 at 2:55 pm |
  4. TJeff1776

Both parties are trying to outdo the other in sex scandals. Perhaps therein they can see eye to eye. It would be the only thing agreeable while Rome burns and America slowly disappears.

June 16, 2011 at 1:06 pm |
  5. Lardoggy

Its sad to see the white house having parties when the America people are out of jobs and food! WOW!

June 16, 2011 at 1:07 pm |
    • kp

so what are you doing to feed these people?

June 16, 2011 at 1:23 pm |
    • Beth Lynn Hodges-Reynolds

Yep! I know I agree with ya. I think that at this time the picnic photos at the white house, or any extravagant dinners of any kind for now should not be seen, and should be withheld, because of those of us, that are struggling and pecking financially, having a hard time, feeding our families, and putting food on our tables, trying to pay house notes, and car notes, and hanging on for dear life. I wonder if they would let me attend their picnic with my family? Or with the society around them that are hungry and doing without food. At least I know they are all eating well, and not having to wonder where their next meal is coming from.????

Wonder if they have ever recently had to worry over from where their next meal comes from.?
      Hmmm. Wonder if they are even grateful for even having a steady income.

I wish these picnicking folks would get back to business, and figure out how some folks are going to keep food on their tables???

This is what my tax dollars pay for is to feed everyone one? Can we revert the tax payer dollars, to feed society at large, a giant picnic?

June 16, 2011 at 1:31 pm |
    • Jam

Hi! And guess who's paying for all their frivolity? Us, the taxpayers and WORKERS!

June 16, 2011 at 2:00 pm |
  6. John

Both parties are to blame. The inner cities are full of homeless and hungry Americans. I guess because the media simply doesn't talk about or report on this our so called leaders do not feel a need to do anything about it.

June 16, 2011 at 1:12 pm |
  7. George Busch

It would be nice if this would shut up the repugs, but they won't let it rest now that it is over. They let Larry Craig stay in for his whole term even after he was caught trying to pick up men in a restroom and was arrested. But Wiener does something immoral but not illegal and you can't shut them up. GOP – the party of double standards.

June 16, 2011 at 1:12 pm |
  8. Mike

"corny dogs"?? Am I that out of it? Do they mean "corn dogs"?

June 16, 2011 at 1:15 pm |
    • msmetz

Could they have mean horny dogs?

June 16, 2011 at 1:37 pm |
      • msmetz

meant – sorry

June 16, 2011 at 1:38 pm |
    • we love weiner

Actually they renamed them "horny dogs", in honor of Weiners resignation...

June 16, 2011 at 3:57 pm |
      • we love weiner

my comment has been awaiting moderation from yesterday. How long does it take to post?

June 17, 2011 at 11:44 am |
  9. mottsy

WHO CARES about Pelosi... she's a blight on the American Government and is like a case of Herpes...you can't get rid of it....

June 16, 2011 at 1:15 pm |
  10. Suze

How completely hypocritical of the WH to and Michele to preach about healthy living and they serve corn dogs, fried chicken and burgers?!!!!! Folks are out of work, living pay check to pay check and they party on. Truly disgusting!

June 16, 2011 at 1:28 pm |
  11. PARTSFREAK

Drain the swamp.

June 16, 2011 at 1:28 pm |
  12. Beth Lynn Hodges-Reynolds

Hmmm. Wonder if they are even grateful for even having a steady income.

June 16, 2011 at 1:29 pm |
  13. Joe

I wonder if they were grilling Weiners.

June 16, 2011 at 1:30 pm |
  14. Dennis

"Tweet your meat, lose your seat!"

June 16, 2011 at 1:32 pm |
  15. mike

He did wrong but they are adults seems like to me I remember somthing about a blue dress in the oval office. Pass the cigars just another horney man and a willing lady now lets come out and ruin him' GROW UP PEOPLE!

June 16, 2011 at 1:35 pm |
  16. George Busch

So if he resigns does he still keep his pension and health care?

June 16, 2011 at 1:43 pm |
  17. GailS

I liked Representative Weiner. He was a good guy who did something incredibly stupid. Here's hoping he has success in his next job.

June 16, 2011 at 1:43 pm |
  18. Realy?

This ridiculous notion that ALL LIFES ACTIVITIES must come to a grinding halt, even if it's a picnic on the lawn of the white house is more phony outrage from a group that didn't care that we gave the pper 2 % a nearly 3 trillion tax break, an unpaid prescription drug benefit by george bush, two WARS .. Unpaid for , OF Course and the list just goes on and on ... meanwhile, conservative giggle at the notion that some poor slob just got their heating assistance cut ... we are no longer a great nation ... because of people like this ... what a shame , the monster we've become ,,,,

June 16, 2011 at 1:44 pm |
    • John

I am sure the hungry and homeless that the dems are spewing about all the time think "life should go on" with the leaders of this administration and the leaders of congress. The Progressives call themselves the party of "lean forward". I guess every time someone brings up a point of how this crap that goes on at the top of both parties, while many people in this country simply aren't making it, needs to stop the Progressives need to fall back to lean forward. Why is it so unreasonable to think all of these people should be in a room together finding ways to cut the obvious crap and move the money to the people who "truly" need it.

June 16, 2011 at 2:47 pm |
    • John

By the way, it is laughable that you bring up the heating assistance program. Google the mayor of Lawrence MA and see how the dems are taking care of the "assistance".

June 16, 2011 at 2:50 pm |
  19. David Sedgwick

No, they really meant Horny Dogs, which is one of the problems in Washington. Pelosi is passing around all that free booze
    she gets off the Government funded airline she travels in back and forth to California. Who cares if the masses are starving you know, feed them cake.

June 16, 2011 at 1:46 pm |
  20. Tejas

I was wondering who in the world would invite Pelosi to a picnic then I saw the picture....

June 16, 2011 at 1:51 pm |
  21. Vumba

The beltway people trying to be American. They heard of these functions, hot dogs (weiners!), cotton candy, hamburgers, and all the soda (pop!) you can drink but never knew about them in their Ivy League schools. "Fried chicken" come on NAACP don't take the day off today there something racist in those words. "Corny" dog, and the elitist media actually reports it that way! Such important business to discuss under the tree, and then, a news conference to boot so every station can go there and add their two cents, TMZ! OMG what has happened to my country?

June 16, 2011 at 1:53 pm |
  22. dfsgwefgsdfgsdfg

bunch of wacks

June 16, 2011 at 1:53 pm |
  23. GailS

I liked Representative Weiner. He's a good guy who did something incredibly stupid. Here's hoping he has much success in his next job.

June 16, 2011 at 1:54 pm |
  24. Steve

Headline should read: Pelosi informed of Wiener's resignation while consuming a wiener.

June 16, 2011 at 1:56 pm |
  25. weiner #1

Actually they renamed them "horny dogs", in honor of Weiners resignation.

June 16, 2011 at 1:59 pm |
  26. Darren

Nice looking picnic.

Meanwhile...........Since election day 2010: Price per gallon of gas is up 70%; Unemployment rate is up 24%; Household income is down 1%; Poverty rate is up 8.3%; Number of foodstamp recipients up 35%; U.S. rank in economic world rankings down from 5th to 9th; U.S. dollar value down 8.6%. National debt up 32%. What happened to "Yes We Can?"

June 16, 2011 at 2:04 pm |
  27. K in CA

This seems like it might be another effort by the President to get the two sides of the aisle to actually talk to each other in the hopes they'll get something done on behalf of the American people. It would have been nice to know whether any Republicans and Democrats actually sat together and acted like the majority of the rest of America - real human beings.

June 16, 2011 at 2:10 pm |
    • Darren

The Congressional Picnic has been held for years and by several administrations. This is not an effort by Obama.

June 16, 2011 at 2:21 pm |
    • whatsupdok

Why would Democrats want to get together with bandits across the aisle ? I'm not interested in bi-partinship. More interested in democracy. Too much capitulation and deal making that is not good for the rest of us in bi-partisinship.

June 16, 2011 at 2:35 pm |
  28. Mitch

I would guess that my tax dollars paid for this event and I wasn't invited? A picnic sounds nice but my family is too busy working trying to keep food on the table and a roof over our head. Sure hope they had a great time while so many others are struggling. Maybe they could have each brought a sack lunch, sat down and tried to be constructive on helping the people of THIS country!

June 16, 2011 at 2:18 pm |
  29. Donkey Party

It's people like Burbank that make me sick of this once great country of ours. Assclown.

June 16, 2011 at 2:23 pm |
    • John

I thought he brought up a valid point. Have you heard anything about the rules this administration, lead by MO, wants to put on everyone? 1+ million dollars spent to re-do the food chart – you don't think that money could have been better spent (or not spent at all)? This crap is make work for "friends". Look up information about the bundlers of money for our candidates. It will make you sick what goes in IN BOTH PARTIES!!

June 16, 2011 at 2:54 pm |
      • j

John, what if the 1million dollar program turned out to help younger people eat healthier. That in turn would make them less prone to needing medical help for health related issues. That would drive down the cost as healthier people would not need to see doctors as much. Stop being naive and looking only to your nose, think and look beyond that. And 1 million is drop in the bucket. What have the wealthy done with their renewed tax breaks? The pres can't make jobs, and why people quote this is beyond me. Corporations and Companies create jobs. And if their share holders want larger profits by cutting staff and increasing the hours of those who are left... to make profit, it's the capitalistic monster that is the greed of those power of those companies... ie. the upper 2%.

June 17, 2011 at 10:20 am |
  30. babalonia

These extravegent picnic pictures should be withheld, it makes those of use struggling to put food on our table, feel bad.

June 16, 2011 at 2:33 pm |
  31. babalonia

Now, can we focus back on jobs, and how america is going to feed their familys?

June 16, 2011 at 2:49 pm |
  32. JoeT

@bogusCompassionateConvservatives: And the assumption that the leftovers won't go towards charity are what again? And let us remember how hard it is to purchase expensive fare like popcorn and corn dogs. Mayhap the White House should have served something cheaper like prime rib or lobster themidore.

June 16, 2011 at 3:08 pm |
  33. AB

Well, it's about time that Wiener saw the light and resigned. I would have resigned immediately and high tailed it out of Washington to avoid any futher embarrasment to me, my family and collegues.

June 16, 2011 at 3:17 pm |
  34. maikl

Party,Party, Party, EEEEeey. Economy so great we make party. One "small" problem-!5mil. people out of job. Obama party anyway . We will see in 2012 who will party.

June 16, 2011 at 5:27 pm |
  35. bill

soo they had a weiner at the party

June 17, 2011 at 11:36 am |
  36. Liz Carter in Georgia

Oh, so since the dems are in office, and they've decided to throw a picnic in the name of what I'm sure is an attempt to bring about some simulance of a 'peace' between the two parties; possibly fostering a start towards a small CHANCE that they could actually sit down and act like adults to get more done for the American people, the antagonists are in full force whining and complaining about that! It just goes to prove my point. ANYTHING Obama-related, you will dig deeply to find fault some with it!

June 17, 2011 at 11:50 am |
  37. Liz Carter in Georgia

Furthermore, weren't you conservatives the main ones concerned about the redistribution of wealth of the rich to the poor? Homeless, hungry, poor, sick, elderly, and the disenfranchised have been part of the American quilt for ages. They've been with us ever since the Adam & Eve sinned. Even JESUS CHRIST warned: For the poor always ye have with you; but me ye have not always. John 12:8. If there be among you....For the poor shall never cease out of the land...Deut 15:7, 11. Deut 15 Chap commands us of poor.

June 17, 2011 at 12:45 pm |
  38. Liz Carter in Georgia

As poor as I am, I can assure you, I've fed, clothed, and housed in my lifetime; and still do when I can. I've worked in alchohol and drug treatment programs, so I'm pretty knowlegeable, and experienced in the effects of homelessness and poverty. Are you really concerned about the homeless, hungry, sick, elderly, and the poor or are you just envious and jealous of THIS President putting on THIS picnic for the Congress on the Whitehouse Lawn? GOD knows your hearts! What have you all done for the poor lately?

June 17, 2011 at 1:07 pm |