Obama's gay marriage stance criticized as he speaks to LGBT fundraiser
President Obama will address a LGBT fundraiser in New York City Thursday.
June 23rd, 2011

Obama's gay marriage stance criticized as he speaks to LGBT fundraiser

New York (CNN) - President Obama headlines three big-money fundraisers inNew York City Thursday evening, one of them steeped in controversy.  The largest of the three campaign fundraising events is sponsored by the LGBT (Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Transgender) Leadership Council at the Sheraton Hotel in midtownManhattan.   It's expected to rake in upwards of one million dollars with 600 attendees forking over a minimum $1250 a ticket to hear the president speak.  But outside, protesters from three other LGBT organizations are expected to chastise the president for not supporting the legalization of same sex marriage which is set to could come to a vote in theNew YorkState legislature as early as this week.

Thursday, White House Press Secretary Jay Carney said the president will "mention" the vote in his remarks tonight.  "[H]e believes that this is something that states should be able to decide," Carney told reporter on Air Force One.  But Carney said the president is "not going to make any new declarations of a position. He's simply going to address it."

During the 2008 presidential campaign the president made it clear he was against same sex marriage, saying marriage should be between a man and a woman.  But within the last year the president has seemed to soften his position indicating it has been "evolving".

Topics: 2012 Election • President Obama • The News

1. bb8371

I am amazed that the only issue that has made headlines with this group is his position ??? Really...have we all become bullied into believing this is a life or death issue?
    It would seem the Nation as a whole would be on the forefront..even the Military is at risk when troops feel it necessary to express their individualism by exercising the do 't ask don't tell. It appears if you are fighting for this country, you would stand with the troops as a team..not alone waving a Gay banner! I strongly feel our priorities have been moved so far off track and is no longer for the good of the whole.

June 23, 2011 at 6:27 pm |
  2. Ronnie Harper

Gay rights are human rights, so a vote against gay rights is a vote against your rights.

June 23, 2011 at 6:51 pm |
  3. rennin1

Gay rights proponents say that homosexuality is not a choice, rather it is genetic. If that is so, then there must be a gay gene that is recessive and that gets passed down from one generation to the next through carriers of this gay gene having sex with the opposite sex. If gay rights proponents had the strength of their convictions they would admit that by attempting to remove the stigma associated with gays getting married to each other they are making it less likely that gays will marry and have children with an opposite sex person. This means that it will become even less likely that gays will pass their gay gene onto the next generation. The result is inescapable; legalizing gay marriage will reduce the number of gay children born each year and those who favor gay marriage are doing more to eliminate gays from society than anything that opponents of gay marriage could possibly do.

June 23, 2011 at 8:30 pm |
  4. Mark

he has done more for equality than any president in history. yes he could do more, but he has done a lot. And i appreciate his efforts

June 23, 2011 at 9:44 pm |
  5. Jerry

I thought obama would be two term president, He is such a finest president we ever had, he struggled with all the economy crisis to health issues to defense issue and............... and His sacrifice in capturing binladen, But today after listening to his speech at the LGBT fund raise new york, i am sad he will not make it for the two term president. Lucky for the republican gop candidate and unlucky for the hilary clinton who for the vice president nominee. Obama will never ever forget todays speech in his life. he would someday mention in his book about today for his downfall.

June 23, 2011 at 9:58 pm |
  6. Rebecca

If the states were allowed to decide on segregation, Alabama would still be segregated. This issue needs to be decided at a federal level–saying States should decide is a cop-out. Evolve Already Pres. Obama. Have the courage to do the right thing. Patronizing us won't work this time.

June 23, 2011 at 10:15 pm |
  7. maikl

This president is joke, naive and don't now what to do. YES WE CAN send pink slip on2012. The best Christmas present for American people.

June 24, 2011 at 12:22 am |
  8. http://www.youtube.com/ny007ny

If you think Obama is anti gay you are either dumb or blind. He was THE man who overturned DADT . He decided not to pursue DOMA anymore. If that is not pro gay policies there are none.

June 24, 2011 at 2:36 am |
  9. Liz Carter in Georgia

People! I wonder what else can a heterosexual preferenced man, who happens to be President of the US, or woman for that matter, do to satisfy the tastes of the currently unfolding releases of expectations, that are being claimed due them, who have come out publicly requesting the right to be 'legally' married as heterosexuals have? Gay Pride is on the move and I can understand their civil positions, but I also think the President has shown acceptance and has required tolerance of all Americans, with DADT!

June 24, 2011 at 3:26 am |
    • John

People don't have to wonder. He said he supported gay marriage before he was elected. Now he does not.
      You are the same person who told me BO doesn't have time for the debt ceiling meetings and "that is what the VP is for". Doesn't it seem strange to you he has time for hours and hours of fund raising "events", but he can't be bothered with showing up to help resolve the debt crisis? People in these sites are blaming the repubs for walking out, but the person who is supposed to be in charge can't even be bothered to show up.

June 24, 2011 at 6:46 am |
      • John

BTW, in the very near future people will wonder how gay marriage was seen as so negative – just as a black person marrying a white person is today. It has nothing to do with spititual or personal convictions. It has everything to do with acceptance of others.

June 24, 2011 at 7:11 am |
      • jean2009

John: Actually, you need to get your facts straight...yet again!

During the campaign Candidate Obama said he supported civil rights and civil unions. He did not support the Defense of Marriage Act...neither should anyone. He still states he supports civil rights and has, up to this point, not said marriage. Realistically, I don't know that any party could mandate a law that would direct a church to perform a marriage. If a minister (or church) wants to provide that service that would be their individual choice.

As a person who has been married to the same mate for nearly 60 years...two people of the same sex being married to each other does not in any way make my marriage less valid. I do feel gay couples as fellow humans should have the same rights under our constitution as I do.

June 24, 2011 at 11:38 am |
  10. Liz Carter in Georgia

I have 'gay' friends who refer to meas 'straight' and we get along just fine. My dear friend Sam and I worked together for years; he died before he was ever able to envision a 'DADT' possibility and he came to work with me for the fed after getting out of the military! He respected the fact that I was 'straight' and liked men and I respected the fact that he was 'gay' and loved them! LOL! He said he'd never in his life cared for nor wanted a woman. I said NEVER! Try it you might like it! We cracked up! LOL!

June 24, 2011 at 3:51 am |
  11. Liz Carter in Georgia

I'm trying to make my point that nobody 'straight' or 'gay' has the right to expect the other to change their personal and spritual convictions and beliefs of what they think a legal marriage is. We know what the Founding Fathers expected it to be, but times and people have evolved. It should be nothing other than a civil legal matter! One shouldn't expect a public renouncing of anothers own convictional beliefs, spiritually! Tolerance, acceptance, with civil protection or inclusion is of course expected.

June 24, 2011 at 4:35 am |
  12. Mogens O Andersen

CNN has failed in its research regarding countries who´ve introduced samesex-marriages. Denmark was the first to do so October 1st. 1989.

June 24, 2011 at 6:14 am |
  13. Jay in NC

Next month Barry will change his mind, Liz will find some way to justify that too.

June 24, 2011 at 7:12 am |
    • jean2009

Oh let us look at the record:

On May 29, 2003 two months into the Iraq war....GWB stated that WMD had been found. "We found the weapons of mass destruction. We found biological laboratories."
      On September 9, 2004 GWB stated to Polish news that "I recognize that we didn't find the stockpile (of weapons) that we all thought was there."

During the 2000 campaign Bush the candidate was against the United States being involved in nation building?
      He called for NATO troops to be removed from the Balkans.
      After the election Bush as president cited such mission as how the US should "stay the course."

Of course, 10 of Bush's top flip flops can be found online....but every president has with more information done the same.

Every president, should have the right to change their mind. That is not bad behavior...it would be bad behavior if they knew their original position was wrong and needed to be changed, and then persisted in sticking to that wrong position doing that would be even worse for the American people.

June 24, 2011 at 12:18 pm |
  14. Liz Carter in Georgia

John, I did not say he didn't have time to go to the meeting. A fool knows that if the President is traveling or at an event, the VP is the one who sits in for him. That is a VPs job! As far as your word swap repetition of what I said...'It has everything to do with acceptance of others', thanks. I agree. I said...tolerance, ACCEPTANCE with civil protection or inclusion is of course expected. The white/black example doesn't carry as many begrudging side affects, but for many sad AMERICANS, it's still tabu!

June 24, 2011 at 7:57 am |
    • John

Liz, with all of your double speak and that fact that you ignore what other people write, I assume you are in some type of position of higher ed.
      As far as I not comprehending your comments, that seems to be the line all the libs use when people do not agree with them. BO has played no less than 70 hours of golf, has had numerous numbers of flights to "dinners", has attended many "fundraisers" in support of his campaign (and I am sure I have missed some "presidential events"). But, he hasn't had time (or can't be bothered) with walking several hundred feet to attend the most critical meetings taking place in this country right now? Obviously the Biden strategy hasn't worked, (as I told you it wouldn't several weeks ago), because people are now walking out of the meetings because they can't agree on anything several weeks into it.

June 24, 2011 at 8:43 am |
      • jean2009

No John, they are walking out because they don't want to commit to ending the Bush era tax cuts for themselves and their wealthy friends. If he went down to that room.(which isn't his place to do) you would be beefing that he was interfering with the process.

As for the hours of golf I think you have again misspoke the number is 60, and laughable one of those times included in the count seems to be when he was the president elect. I'm glad he can get away for a short while and play some golf.

Give it a break whiner.

June 24, 2011 at 11:53 am |
  15. Liz Carter in Georgia

So I certainly do hope you don't really want to equate the view of black and white mixed marriages to your claim of the 'very near future' view of gay marriage. If that's your idea of leaverage or example, they certainly will have a hard row to hoe! You may need to re-read my opinions about this with some comprehension the next time. I stand by them, because I know they were of a reasonable conclusion to the acceptance and handling of anybody's personal preferences gay or straight on the marriage issue.

June 24, 2011 at 8:17 am |
    • Jay in NC

Liz, simple question. Are you for gay marriage or not?

June 24, 2011 at 8:24 am |
  16. Liz Carter in Georgia

Yes, Jay and the main line of justification I will probably find is that in AMERICA, we have the right to change our minds. The REPUGS have been making use of that right, when they weren't out and out lying everyday!

June 24, 2011 at 8:28 am |
    • John

Once again, pointing at bad behavior to justify bad behavior. These people in Washington and local governments work for us. It is time we hold them, Dems and Repubs, accountable.

June 24, 2011 at 9:19 am |
      • jean2009

But, you time after time only speak to indict Democrats, and want give the Republicans a free pass. If I add Hilliary Clinton to a discussion of first lady safaris you want to only harp about the fact that I included Laura Bush, and totally ignore the mention of Hilliary. I am not blind as to where you stand, and it is not in the middle. Maybe you have brainwashed yourself that you are non-biased, but that is obviously not the case.

There is your double-speak.

June 25, 2011 at 1:44 pm |
  17. Skip

Nearly all those opposed to gay marriage and gay rights use the Bible as their reasoning. People who supported slavery also used the Bible as their reasoning. Where would Obama and many people today be if those people had their way?

June 24, 2011 at 8:56 am |
    • Tisha

You're exactly right. It's all those Bible thumpers out there who are against it.

April 11, 2012 at 5:13 pm |
  18. Liz Carter in Georgia

Jay, I just saw your question and the answer is NO! I am personally not for gay marriage, BUT if there came a time I had to vote for it, I would not vote NO, just because of my OWN personal conscious and convictions! That would be selfish of me! I would vote YES, because I believe in PRO-CHOICE. It's the same about abortions; as a Christian I'm not for abortions, especially if the baby is healthy; but I would vote YES, because again I do believe in PRO-CHOICE. I hope that answered your blame question?

June 24, 2011 at 6:42 pm |
  19. Liz Carter in Georgia

John, double speak? Where am I doing that, let me know and I'll try my best to make those responses a 'single speak. 'Ignore what other people write'? If that was the case, I wouldn't be talking to you period! Your claim that all LIBS use 'you don't comprehend my response' when others don't agree with them is a CON tactic, especially recently! Just how many statements have they rewritten or backed away from? They've been quick to say, 'I didn't say what I said'! Everybody misunderstood; I didn't mean that!

June 24, 2011 at 7:07 pm |
  20. Liz Carter in Georgia

You go Jean!

June 26, 2011 at 6:44 pm |
  21. Charles Munson

George bush is my hero. As we all know nothing will change. You will be forced to suffer through all this nonsense. Anything we say about what we dont like will always be met with criticism.So what's the point? Someone will always disagree. For now i guess we put up with it. Anything that happens now is out of our hands. Got to move on. Guess that's all we can do. Other than that i'll continue to voice my opinion. There are people out there that will agree with me. Some people wont agree....now read the first letter of every sentence.

June 27, 2011 at 5:00 pm |
  22. Liz Carter in Georgia

I followed your instructions and I find you are horrible! Is your name Charles Munson or is it Charles Manson?

July 4, 2011 at 11:38 am |