Debt ceiling talks
July 7th, 2011

Debt ceiling talks

The latest meeting between the White House and Congressional leaders has officially begun and for the first time, cameras were let in. Well, they were let in at the top of the meeting and for only 37 seconds while the president and Sen. Jon Kyl (R-AZ) and other leaders engaged in small talk over the sandstorms in Arizona. We'll have to wait until this afternoon for the White House briefing to hopefully get an official readout of the talks.

Topics: Congress • Deficit reduction • The News

Next entry »
  1. Bill in STL

Now if only I could raise my debt ceiling without making anymore money... Must be nice! 😉

July 7, 2011 at 7:50 pm |
    • Jay in NC

I agree Bill, an open ended credit line and no chance of being prosecuted for robbing the coffers. Barry's supporters often whine about Wall Street, Banks and Co. being greedy, but this takes the cake, and ice cream too.

July 7, 2011 at 8:37 pm |
  2. Greg

A question for anyone who can sensibly answer it! For all that are screaming for government to stop the spending, EXACTLY where should the cutbacks come from? Hopefully there are no doubters out there that 80% of our overspending is in the big three, S.S., Medicare and Medicaid? If you doubt this please do your research before answering this question?
    Remember, I'm looking for an EXACT source along with its realistic affects rather than ideological theories and models. Many can come up with some wonderful sounding ideas without applying common sense or proven methods which is not what I am looking for.
    Keep in mind, without any true logical thinking or foundation to our beliefs all is nothing less than fantasy. Please, Let's all be realistic? Forget Rep's and Dem's!

July 7, 2011 at 8:18 pm |
    • Jay in NC

Suggestion #1, combine Medicare and Medicaid into one gov. department, cut out the overlap. We are always told that a larger group of people covered cost less, well, combine these two and you will have the largest insurance block in the country.

Suggestion #2, bring SS back to its intended purpose. FDR said in 1935 ... "We can never insure 100 percent of the population against 100 percent of the hazards and vicissitudes of life, but we have tried to frame a law which will give some measure of protection to the average citizen and to his family against the loss of a job and against poverty-stricken old age."

[youtube=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aVZijG4WSOw&w=640&h=360]

July 8, 2011 at 3:01 pm |
    • jean2009

The big spending for unnecessary luxuries is the Bush tax cuts for the rich.

July 9, 2011 at 2:48 pm |
      • Jay in NC

If the President Bush tax cuts are the root of all evil, then why didn't Barry and his Democrat controlled House and Senate pass new laws? No, Barry not only extended the tax cuts for the rich he gave even more. The fact that Liberals do not want to face is that their guy is as bad as President Bush.

I like Republicans and Democrats, I just can not stand hypocrites. Two faced people that condemn one president then praise another for doing the same thing.

GITMO still open, Tax cuts for the rich, Iraq war, Afghanistan war, Don't ask don't tell still enforced, the list goes on.

July 9, 2011 at 3:25 pm |
  3. dinak

When obama was a senator he voted AGAINST raising the debt ceiling!

July 8, 2011 at 10:32 pm |
    • kefa34

This I read for my self I am not perfect I Have sin against the word I Have been getting wip
      I know all the things you do I have seen your hard work and

your patient endurance I know you dont tolerate evil people
      you have examined the claims of those who say they are apostles
      but are not you have discovered they are not truthful
      you have patiently suffered for the lord without quitting
      But the lord has this complaint against the family of faith
      we dont love the lord or each other as we did at first
      look how far we have fallen turn back to the lord and
      dothe works you did at first
      if you dont repent i will come remove your lampstand
      from its place among the churches .

July 19, 2011 at 7:26 pm |