Obama Bus Tour Stop #12: Galesburg, IL
August 17th, 2011

Obama Bus Tour Stop #12: Galesburg, IL

On the way to his second town hall of the day, the president stopped by Galesburg High School, home of the Silver Streaks, in Galesburg, Illinois.  He shook hands with the women's tennis and men's football teams.  Before leaving he told the players that football is important "but I hope you're hitting the books too. Education is important."

Topics: Bus Tour • President Obama • The Visuals

1. Joe D

CNN makes no attempt be to fair. They are so biased toward Obama, socialism, and more big government it is sickening. Just like ABC.

August 17, 2011 at 7:11 pm |
    • maikl

100% agree. They not let my comments go true many time, because they don't like what i say. I never watch CNN because of it.

August 18, 2011 at 12:28 pm |
      • jean2009

What do you call posting on CNN?

August 18, 2011 at 7:52 pm |
    • jean2009

Socialist....stop! Did you know that the Bush Administration wrote the Iraqi Constitution for Iraq in 2005? Did you know that Article 31 of the Iraqi Constitution gave each Iraqi citizen universal medical coverage for life? Did you know that American taxpayers put up $950 Million to guarantee Iraqi citizens "socialized" universal single payer health care for life? George W. Bush evidently thought it was a great idea to fund it for the Iraqi's but not for American citizens...other than for the Congress and the Senate.

And you have the unmitigated gall to banter around the word "socialist"?

Don't believe me.....Read Mark Dorlester's Article-

or at: http://healthandsurvival.com/2008/01/29/americans-pay-for-iraqs-universal-healthcare-coverage/

Frankly you are another brainwashed sucker.

August 18, 2011 at 8:18 pm |
  2. Rich

Anyone who thinks this was a bus tour to talk to Americans is nuts. This was a pure and simple campaign tour which is illegal and unethical. CNN can call it what they want but any American above the age of 7 knows the truth. To think he has been raising money for more then a year now for his 2012 campaign and he has the taxpayers pay for his "bus tour". This was a lie by the president and the press is going right along with it. Things will never change until we all start being honest about what is happening right in front of us!

August 18, 2011 at 11:27 am |
    • jean2009

Read: "George W. Bush and the Permanent Campaign Trail" – The Public Purpose Vol. III.
      Perfectly legal...now where were you in 2002 right after 9/11 when GWB started campaigning from Air Force One for his second term? Were you running your gums like a moron then?

It is a known fact, that the Secret Service is responsible for protecting the current president, and he will campaign just like other previous president campaigned ....so suck it buster and quit whining.

August 18, 2011 at 8:03 pm |
  3. cge

This is Obamas way of getting all of the naive high schoolers to vote for him. All they see is someone who is a great persuasive speaker with a big smile on his face. They don't realize how horrible he is making things for this country! I am from Galesburg and I would have left when he arrived! Oh, and I think we are the ones paying for this "bus tour" aren't we??? I wonder how many of his staff attended??? I can only imagine! Campaign tour for sure!! Open your eyes Silver Streaks! You are the future, and will be paying for his mistakes too!!!!

August 18, 2011 at 12:19 pm |
  4. Lois Rayburn

I've been getting emails from the Democratic campaign headquarters for some time seeking monetary donations...just as I have from the Republican campaign....I'm not convinced the taxpayers are funding Obama's bus tour.

August 18, 2011 at 1:00 pm |
  5. Howard

SAVE AMERICA ... IMPEACH OBAMA NOW !!!

August 18, 2011 at 1:15 pm |
    • jean2009

Quit moaning you lost fair and square...at least the SCOTUS didn't appoint this president.

Obama -Biden 2012

August 18, 2011 at 8:06 pm |
  6. Carrot Cake Man

What pathetic loser GOP apologists! Give it a rest, GOP apologists, no one else is interested in your lies.

August 18, 2011 at 3:40 pm |
  7. Martin

I fail to see how this article is biased towards President Obama. I personally believe that CNN is a lot less biased than Fox News. Another thing i don't understand is how surprised you are about Obama's buss tour. Presidents have always used their positions to campaign and any one who begs to differ has a bias of their own.
    Howard.......Obama has not broken any laws and does not deserve to be impeached. John McCain lost the election and i think its about time you came to grips with that.

August 18, 2011 at 4:47 pm |
  8. jean2009

And here is another site:

August 18, 2011 at 8:33 pm |
  9. Ed Schott

Obama Lost Like a Homeless Transient.

The recent Campaign trip by President Obama at taxpayers' expense has some parallels with his way of governing and with my recent experience.
    I happened to be traveling past both Atkinson and Alpha Illinois about noon on 17th August on the way to our farm west of Galesburg. I was aware from radio that the president was to campaign at those two sites. I was ahead of his schedule by about an hour. All of the crossovers were blocked for security with highway trucks on Interstate 74 south of Interstate 80 but only up to the Alpha exit route 17 where the campaign entourage was to exit. I was eating dinner at the farm at 1:00 pm and listening to WGIL Radio from Galesburg give the details of the campaign being lost in Galesburg because they missed the Alpha Rt 17 exit. I listened to the radio more for the campaign details after mowing for three hours. The president's campaign entourage covered the mistaken trip to Galesburg by stopping by the high school to see some sports practicing and arrived over an hour late in Alpha for the speech.
    How can the taxpayers' supported president's campaign with many security vehicles, GPS availability, helicopters, machine guns, snipers, Canadian built limousine buses and even Air Force One parked at Peoria get lost? The answer is poor or no leadership.
    I had the same problem that same day. My hired, homeless transient worker had a seizure fit and after recovery he went down the road and got lost.
    These events are parallel. President Obama and his inept subordinates and me and my homeless transient worker are in the same category. Did you vote for me for president? Did your taxes pay for my event?

This was written by Ed Schott at my own expense.

August 19, 2011 at 7:19 am |
  10. paulina dickson

I was one of the players on the Galesburg high school varsity tennis team!(: I met him and it was so cool. It doesn't matter what your views are and what party your in this is good old fashion caring. & i believe it doesn't matter what party your in he is a good person who cares about the country and all his constituents!(:

August 19, 2011 at 5:34 pm |
  11. Mel77

Dear Ed:

FYI, Obama's staff had quietly and unobtrusively checked out Galesburg High School several days before his arrival as a potential stop. Let me assure you that none of his staff were wandering around like a "homeless transient worker" after a "seizure fit." Your parallels are as erroneous as those of many in the republican party.

For the future safety of your "homeless transient workers", best to not let them go down the road until FULLY recovered from "seizure fits."

August 19, 2011 at 5:39 pm |
  12. Paulina Dickson

No, one of thw white house secrataries came into Galesburg High School (my school) & they asked for the schedules to all the sport activities. No, they didnt miss a exit and try to cover it up they planned on coming. I even asked the secret service. So you have NO clue what your talking about. & i defiantly dont think the president and all his million dollar bus and 1000 secret service people took a WRONG TURN. I met him at ghs when i was playing tennis. There where state cops there 1hr in advance.Thanks

August 20, 2011 at 8:10 pm |