Biden talks shirtless Onion parody, favorite wheels
September 6th, 2011

Biden talks shirtless Onion parody, favorite wheels

Joe Biden is a serious fan of cars, so much so that a now-famous Onion parody showing a shirtless version of the vice president washing a 1981 Pontiac Trans Am in the White House driveway may not have been that far off the mark.

“I have been in my bathing suit in my driveway and not only washed my Goodwood-green 1967 Corvette but also simonized it,” Biden told Car and Driver Magazine in an interview out Tuesday. “At least the Onion should have had me washing a Trans Am convertible. I love convertibles.”

Biden, who’s father was longtime car dealer, also reminisced about favorite sets of wheels from his youth.

“I bought a ’51 Studebaker. My dad thought it was nice and calm, but it had that overdrive, and it was fast. Then I bought a 1952 Plymouth convertible, candy-apple red with a split windshield. I think that was my favorite," he said.

"I had a ’56 Chevy, then in college I bought a 100,000-mile Mercedes 190SL with those Solex carburetors that never functioned. And I still have my 1967 Goodwood-green Corvette, 327, 350-horse, with a rear-axle ratio that really gets up and goes,” Biden continued.

Meanwhile, President Obama’s No. 2 lamented that now he’s “not allowed to drive anything” due to security concerns.

“It’s the one thing I hate about this job. I’m serious,” Biden said.

Still, there appears to be at least one new car that has really gotten Biden’s heart racing:

“My brother has one of those 556-hp [CTS-V] Cadillacs with a manual. He brought it down for me to eat my heart out. So I got in. I have a driveway that’s about 1700 feet long. I knew the Secret Service wouldn’t let me drive it outside. So I jumped on that sucker and laid rubber. A great feeling. That thing could probably beat my Corvette.”

1. k

I actually like him a bit more now...

September 6, 2011 at 2:38 pm |
    • Emmy Skaddittle

me too, see he is just like us. but please keep those pictures of the carwashing in his bathing suit to himself

September 6, 2011 at 5:07 pm |
    • Teresa

I've always liked Joe. Unfortunately he seems to be his own worse enemy. Like many of us he doesn't edit what comes out of his mouth. Too bad we could really use someone that says it like it is.

September 7, 2011 at 3:28 pm |
  2. Drew

I love Joe he genuinely seems like the kind of guy you could sit down and have a couple of pops and shoot the S**t with.A real all American guy!!

September 6, 2011 at 4:14 pm |
  3. justinstl

Yum I bet he is hot without a shirt on!! Very sexy for an older guy! Why dont you see presidents and polititcians with their shirts off more often. Theres nothing shameful or imoral about the male body. Hell they could all fund thier campaigns by posing in playboy/girl. I bet hey would pay dearly to get them to pose centerfold. It isnt like they would be in penthouse or hustler..... only the respectable rags!!

September 6, 2011 at 5:36 pm |
  4. justinstl

Yum I bet he is hot without a shirt on!! Very hot man for an older guy! Why dont you see presidents and polititcians with their shirts off more often? Theres nothing shameful or imoral about the male body. You know they could all fund their campaigns by posing in playboy/girl. I bet the publications would pay dearly to get any of them to pose centerfold. It isnt like they would be in penthouse or hustler..... only the respectable rags!! And you gotta be 18 to buy them so theres really no problem with them posing. Bearing their unclothed bodies is a lot more moral or aceptable than listening to their own personal views on religion and other views that do not pertain to politics!

September 6, 2011 at 5:43 pm |
    • Jay in NC

Sure, why not, they require us, even children, to be photographed nude at the air port. If it is good enough for us why not the elected.

September 7, 2011 at 6:59 am |
  5. Jackie Treehorn

That's just one of many hilarious Biden articles on The Onion. My favorite was "Biden to Cool His Heels in Mexico for a While":

"I need to get out of D.C. until some sh1t blows over." LMAO.

September 6, 2011 at 8:02 pm |
  6. Pete

Obama is the shepherd I did not want.
    He leadeth me beside the still factories.
    He restoreth my faith in the Republican party.
    He guideth me in the path of unemployment for his

party's sake.
    Yea, though I walk through the valley of the bread

line, I shall fear no hunger, for his bailouts are with

me. He has anointed my income with taxes,

My expenses runneth over.
    Surely, poverty and hard living will follow me all

the days of my life, And I will live in a mortgaged

home forever.

September 7, 2011 at 7:47 am |
    • :3

Uhhhh

*looks at the article, then at the post*

nope, not a single fu♀▼k was given that day.

September 7, 2011 at 11:28 am |
    • dave

This is the stupidest thing I have ever read....... go play at faux news you hack....

September 7, 2011 at 11:46 am |
    • Russell Brown

may those who try to destory the good work that President obama guaranteed note that by not working with him
      american will stay on the defibrilator
      being humiliated and put to shame
      may those who take delight in the american peoples trouble
      be turn back in disgrace.
      this abusive behvior that the Republicans/teaparty has guaranteed
      is not a behavior permitted by the word of G-D
      their posted policles of no has not achieve a quailty of life for the america they say they love
      lets all get togather and vote 4 more years for president obama .

September 7, 2011 at 9:02 pm |
      • Joe

keep smoking that dope you dope

September 9, 2011 at 11:26 am |
    • Russell Brown

you must have done well under the Republican leadership
      so many familes suffer than and suffer now
      welcome to our pain
      Hey Pete be nice to have you on the president obama side
      you are a good man bitter but good May G-d restore everything you lost.
      father G-D can you forgive pete can you help pete in jesus
      name amen

September 7, 2011 at 9:14 pm |
    • Joe

A prayer that should be said by every american before they go to sheep
      sone this nightmare idiot will be gone 2012 God Bless America
      the lying ,shucking and jiving Obama is out in 2012

September 9, 2011 at 11:29 am |
  7. Pete

The danger to America is not Barack Obama, but a citizenry capable of entrusting an inexperienced man like him with the Presidency. It will be far easier to limit and undo the follies of an Obama presidency than to restore the necessary common sense and good judgment to a depraved electorate willing to have such a man for their president. The problem is much deeper and far more serious than Mr. Obama, who is a mere symptom of what ails America . Blaming the prince of the fools should not blind anyone to the vast confederacy of fools that made him their prince. The Republic can survive a Barack Obama. It is less likely to survive a multitude of fools, such as those who made him their president."

September 7, 2011 at 10:14 am |
    • Emmet D.

Pete, Pete, Pete. Haven't you read Matt. 5:22? Jesus pretty much punks anyone who calls someone else a "fool."

I assume you claim to be a Christian, but maybe your pseudo-biblical language was suppose to be a parody. Not sure. What I am sure is that the article was about Biden. If you ARE a Christian, best pray God do something with your anger issues. If you are NOT a Christian, maybe some Valium would help.

September 8, 2011 at 7:40 am |
    • Chris

Uh, Pete – what you said, except that to not have voted Obama would have implied a citizenry capable of entrusting a bipolar curmudgeon and a clueless airhead with the White House. At that point, we wouldn't even be discussing "restoring" the necessary common sense and good judgment – we'd have to discuss creating it in those witless masses that apparently you, sir, are a part of .

September 8, 2011 at 5:47 pm |
    • Chris

Oh, and one more thing, Pete. Go look up the flawed debating tactic called the "straw man". You appear to specialize in these. Your solemn pronouncements have a key logical flaw – they're based on utter garbage. Just because you've swallowed all those claims of the "follies of an Obama presidency" of whatever right-wing echo-chamber you've sworn allegiance to, doesn't mean that the average sane American shares your assessment. If you do insist on ranting in this fashion, do take the trouble to actually make your case, instead of assuming it's patently evident, as you have.

September 8, 2011 at 5:57 pm |
      • Joe

Obama is in GE's pocket
        the man is a total scam
        He would sell his dead mother to get reekected
        you liberals only want to ride the big goverement gravy train
        Two Quotes to live By
        The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.
        Most bad government has grown out of too much government.
        Thomas Jefferson

September 9, 2011 at 11:37 am |
  8. Liz Carter in Georgia

DAG Pete! Not Again!

September 7, 2011 at 1:32 pm |
  9. DARTH VADER

1) Exxon Mobil made $19 billion in profits in 2009. Exxon not only paid no federal income taxes, it actually received a [b]$156 million rebate[/b] from the IRS, according to its SEC filings.

2) Bank of America received a [b]$1.9 billion tax refund[/b] from the IRS last year, [b]although it made $4.4 billion in profits and received a bailout from the Federal Reserve and the Treasury Department of nearly $1 trillion.[/b]

3) Over the past five years, while [b]General Electric made $26 billion in profits in the United States, it received a $4.1 billion refund[/b] from the IRS.

4) Chevron received a [b]$19 million refund from the IRS last year after it made $10 billion in profits[/b] in 2009.

5) Boeing, which received a $30 billion contract from the Pentagon to build 179 airborne tankers, got a $124 million refund from the IRS last year.

6) Valero Energy, the 25th largest company in America with $68 billion in sales last year received a $157 million tax refund check from the IRS and, over the past three years, it received a $134 million tax break from the oil and gas manufacturing tax deduction.

7) Goldman Sachs in 2008 only paid 1.1 percent of its income in taxes even though it earned a profit of $2.3 billion and received an almost $800 billion from the Federal Reserve and U.S. Treasury Department.

8) Citigroup last year made more than $4 billion in profits but paid no federal income taxes. It received a $2.5 trillion bailout from the Federal Reserve and U.S. Treasury.

9) ConocoPhillips, the fifth largest oil company in the United States, made $16 billion in profits from 2007 through 2009, but received $451 million in tax breaks through the oil and gas manufacturing deduction.

10) Over the past five years, Carnival Cruise Lines made more than $11 billion in profits, but its federal income tax rate during those years was just 1.1 percent.

Where do you think all this refund or rebate money comes from? When you figure it out, you'll be as pissed off as I am about it.

September 8, 2011 at 9:42 am |
    • Chris

Uh, Pete? See above. What was that about the "danger to America" again?

September 8, 2011 at 5:49 pm |
    • Joe

and all the people that worked there made money
      what do you want to do Suck on the Goverment Tit for the rest of your life

September 9, 2011 at 11:40 am |
    • Joe

Ok
      let those companies move over to China
      where are your jobs now you fool
      nothing wrong with making money
      My Company does great I hire people
      if I don't make money I lay off people
      Stop your bitching and get a job whatever it is
      No more unemployment extentions let these people take a job even if its less money
      Stop sucking on the Goverment Tit

September 9, 2011 at 11:45 am |
  10. Mac Alirez

We stumbled over here coming from a different web page and thought I should check things out. I like what I see so now i'm following you. Look forward to going over your web page for a second time.

September 22, 2011 at 4:06 am |