September 20th, 2011

Obama campaign calls Jewish supporters

Yesterday CNN was first to report that the Obama campaign had scheduled a conference call for this afternoon with members of the Jewish community where it would lay out the president’s record in support of Israel. Organizers of the call explained that it was not scheduled in reaction to recent bad press regarding the president’s stance on Israel, but rather planned long in advance in attempt to arm supporters with detailed information about the president’s record in advance of the Jewish high holidays of Rosh Hashanah and Yom Kippur – and the political dinner discussions that often accompany them.

Well, the call has just wrapped up after roughly 40 minutes and one of the leaders of the call, former-Congressman Robert Wexler – a chief surrogate for President Obama amongst Jewish voters during the 2008 election – offered CNN a few observations about how it played out.

Wexler, who served seven terms in congress before leaving in 2010 to take over as president of the S. Daniel Abraham Center for Middle East Peace, said that today’s call is just the “first step of an aggressive effort to lay out President Obama’s record on Israel.” But he was careful to place the entire discussion in a broader context.

“Most Americans – Jewish Americans included – are focused on the economy,” Wexler said, later adding that, “to divorce this discussion from President Obama’s views on Social Security and Medicare and the views of the Republican nominee on those issues is useless.”

On whether increased attacks by the president’s opponents on current U.S. policy towards Israel – see page A12 in yesterday’s New York Times – signal a perceived weakness in President Obama’s record on the issue, Wexler pointed to the campaign season.

“Our opponents are being aggressive, but we too are being aggressive and we’re not taking any vote for granted,” he said.

In 2008, Obama won 78% of the Jewish vote, and many GOP strategists believe that if the Republican nominee can decrease that number by just a few percentage points, that could have a real impact in swing states with sizable Jewish populations like Florida, Ohio and even Pennsylvania.

When asked if the president was vulnerable of losing Jewish votes, Wexler said, “I’m confident that the president will win the votes of the vast majority of Jewish Americans. Whether it’s 75 percent or 76 percent or 78 percent, I don’t know.” But he contended that the final number will likely depend more on how Jewish voters’ feel about the economy, not Israel.

CNN Wires has some more info on this. Their story can be found here.

Topics: Campaign • President Obama • Re-election

1. Liz Carter in Georgia

Pray for the African American man on death row in my home state of Georgia. The Georgia Pardons and Parole Board, has failed to grant him clemency and pardon; even after 7 out of 9 witnesses changed their stories due other information that leaked after the trial, the 'good ole boys', along with the 'overcomers' are still poised to execute an innocent man tomorrow night in Jackson, Ga. What happened to innocent until proven guilty; without a reasonable doubt for this man? Typical of the South I KNOW about!

September 20, 2011 at 7:16 pm |
    • John

This case is from 1991 and two witnesses of the 4 now say they mistaken. The other two said they are sure it was him.
      Pray for the cop who was killed that night.

September 21, 2011 at 11:02 am |
    • Howard

EVERYONE MAKING OVER $250,000 PER YEAR
      should send a generous campaign contribution to
      whoever runs against Obama !!!

September 21, 2011 at 11:47 am |
  2. Gary Friedman

Being Jewish myself, I believe the best outcome for Israel would be replacing B. Netanyahu as Prime Minister. The Centrist Party or Labor Party would have, at least not isolated the Obama admin, with such arrogance, in dealing with the Palestinian issue. The Israeli government might have bigger unforeseen problems with Arab world instability. What a prime opportunity to settle with the moderate Abbas.

September 20, 2011 at 7:17 pm |
  3. Jeanne Davis

Obama's Chickens have come home to roost...this man is pure evil and a J'Hadist Trojan Horse

September 20, 2011 at 7:21 pm |
    • Howard

Class Warefare ...

EVERYONE MAKING OVER $250,000 PER YEAR
      should send a generous campaign contribution to
      whoever runs against Obama !!!

September 21, 2011 at 11:48 am |
  4. Mike Donohue

Any self-hating Jews want to help Obama imperil Jerusalem? Then just sign up for this jack-ass and his socialist programs.

September 20, 2011 at 8:00 pm |
  5. mark

Pray for the family of the off duty law enforcement officer who came to the aid of a citizen being attacked with a gun by MR. Davis. Davis had 20 years toprove his innocence.

September 20, 2011 at 8:11 pm |
  6. mark

Obama is trying to do damage control so he can get those big checks from the very people he hates. Since he has empowered Islam with his messages he sends them, let Islamic supporters open there checkbook to Obama.

September 20, 2011 at 8:13 pm |
    • jboh

You are only playing the TEA trash tape recorder. Nothing but lies. I'm sorry, but the Jews will not become Christians as the talibangelical mythology states.

September 21, 2011 at 9:03 am |
  7. Harry Kuheim

Any Jew that supports or voted for Obama deserves what's coming from the Arab World.

September 20, 2011 at 8:16 pm |
  8. Judy

I agree with Mark. I voted for President Obama, despite his silence about Israel during his campaign, trusting that he would do the right thing. Now that we see his true colors, I will not vote for him again. Israel is America's only true ally. As an American and a Jew, I do not see the president as a friend of the principles of either country. Regrettably, he has no knowledge or sense of history.

September 20, 2011 at 8:26 pm |
  9. Judy

Are you censoring opinions???

September 20, 2011 at 8:29 pm |
  10. John Shirley

where did this confernce take place? i'm doing a current events on this

September 20, 2011 at 8:47 pm |
  11. mikle

You wrong,Wexler. We care about Israel very much so. Your bla bla bkla not going to help your master. Obama lost Jewish vote for good. I vote for Obama in2008,but after he gave palest. idea about 1967 border, he lost me forever.

September 20, 2011 at 11:18 pm |
  12. henry ford

Jews are parasites. It really is as simple as that.

September 21, 2011 at 1:59 am |
    • mikle

TO ford: God, why this ford is so stupid? God reply: he just stupid. It's all.

September 21, 2011 at 10:52 am |
  13. Liz Carter in Georgia

To the McPhail Family, you've always had my sympathies and empathy; however, for the wrong man to die for my sons', brothers', husbands', friends' murder, I could never find closure or peace in that. For this thing to have lingered, twisted and turned this long proves 'other' information has given cause for 'reasonable doubt'. The 'other' info was withheld from jury. Some witnesses were coerced to say things; they saw things when they didn't! BTW, @mark; no gun was ever found, thankyou very much. DNA, NO!

September 21, 2011 at 5:18 am |
  14. Liz Carter in Georgia

....As far as the remark you made about the fact that Davis has had 20 years to prove his innocence, how could he 'FIND' himself innocent when the Georgia Judicial Court System wouldn't allow him to go back to court? Several groups were and are working on his behalf with no assistance from the courts who sentenced this man, I believe unjustly! Yet Georgia won't even grant him a pardon on the grounds of 'evidentiary reasonable cause'. Typical handling of a blackman in the penal system, in the SOUTH!

September 21, 2011 at 5:39 am |
  15. Liz Carter in Georgia

@mark; 20 years? In Georgia, there've been innocent blackmen who've been convicted, sentenced, put in Georgia prisons 20 and 30 years for rape, murder and other crimes. Some are blessed enough to get legal pro bono groups to work outside for them. Some have managed to get their convictions overturned, but it's few and far between times that it happens! Georgia will execute ANYBODY before admitting a botched case, bad conviction, especially of a blackman! In GA, he's GUILTY until he can prove his INNOCENCE!

September 21, 2011 at 6:12 am |
    • C-Lo

Liz, there are white men and women who have suffered the same fate (Tim Masters and Lisl Auman in Colorado to name two. It's a problem with the system.

That being said, I don't dispute it is more rampant in the south and against black men, but a lot of it has to do with $$ too.

Anyway, to the point of this specific case, my understanding is that one of the two witnesses who have not recanted is the only other "prime" suspect in the case. From the little that I've heard, all from left wing pundants, still makes me beleive that there should be a stay. However, he was given at least 2 other stays in the early 2000's and has not to this point made a significant case for his innocents. 20 years is a LONG time to put together a new defense.

I am 100% in favor of the death penalty in certaiin intances, but from what I know about it, this case is not one.

September 21, 2011 at 1:26 pm |
  16. Liz Carter in Georgia

If I were a part of the Macphail family, I'd not be satisfied knowing that the true killer of my family member may still be up moving and walking around, starring me in the face, while I've seen a man, who according to the evidence could possibly be innocent, put to death ANYWAY! I also will go out on the line and put it on out here. Had the same work been done, the international petitions signed, had Davis been white, the Macphails had been black; NEW TRIAL! PARDON! Execution would've BEEN off the table!

September 21, 2011 at 6:39 am |
  17. Liz Carter in Georgia

John; you are wrong! It doesn't really matter, because that's been your MO on quite a few issues, especially with your responses to me. However, you claimed 2 out of 4 witnesses? Even if it was true..that in itself should produce 'reasonable doubt'! However, there were 7 out of 9 witnesses who have recanted their statements. I ASK YOU...WHAT IS YOUR DEFINITION OF 'REASONABLE DOUBT'? It's too late to pray for the cop who died. He's already met his reward. If I prayed for anybody, it would be for his family.

September 21, 2011 at 12:52 pm |
  18. Liz Carter in Georgia

C-lo; I appreciate your response, and you are right. I know that there have been cases where whites have suffered executions. They may have been innocent, but I was speaking of the obvious, blatant act of a miscarriage of justice! The taking of yet another life of a human being who's most probably innocent. Of course money played a big part in his conviction, or the lack there of! So even with 'evidentiary reasonable cause' coming forth, a UNITED STATES CITIZEN is sentenced to DIE, because he was BROKE? NO!

September 21, 2011 at 7:34 pm |
  19. Liz Carter in Georgia

I think I may have heard a little more about the case than you have. I live here. We demonstrated at downtown Atlanta in front of the State Capitol Building. Oh yes, African Americans and Caucasians, Latinos and Asians and others were out on the march! I've always given credit where credit was due; as well as sincere thanks to the human race, when it comes together in harmony, in one accord and in love for RIGHT! We have so many of the same human race, who're thrilled to come together in hate and WRONG!

September 21, 2011 at 8:32 pm |
  20. Liz Carter in Georgia

I believe at 11:08pm tonight, on Sept 21, 2011, The State of Georgia has just executed an innocent man, who happened to be another African American Man. Now do you see what I mean? It shouldn't have had to be sent back to the UNITED STATES SUPREME COURT. It should have been overturned right here by GOVERNOR DEAL first! I appreciate and thank the Former Jackson Warden Allen Ault, Ben Jealous, Al Sharpton, Bob Barr, The Pope, and all of the people who worked this fight forTroy Davis. No justice...No peace!

September 22, 2011 at 12:00 am |