Morning Briefing: Georgia execution, government shutdown, and Palestinian statehood
September 22nd, 2011

Despite a last-minute appeal to the Supreme Court and a protest outside the White House yesterday, Troy Davis was executed last night for killing an off-duty police officer in Savannah, Georgia. Until the end Davis maintained his innocence, and his final words included a plea to the victim’s family that he was not the murderer.

CNN Wires has a great wrap up of the national debate around the Davis case here. [CNN Wire]

Back in Washington, we all thought the threat of a government shutdown had passed with last year’s tax cut compromise and this summer’s debt ceiling increase. But it looks like a shutdown might be looming large once again, as the House of Representatives rejected a bill to fund the government yesterday despite the support of Republican leadership.

House rejects government funding bill as shutdown looms [Chicago Tribune]

Here are some other stories the White House may be reading:

Newsmaker: Abbas presses Palestinian case with new defiance [Reuters]

U.S., China, Germany slumps hammer stocks [Reuters]

Netanyahu, Lieberman praise Obama’s U.N. speech, but Palestinians pan it [JTA]

Poll: Rick Perry surges as Obama’s approval ratings nose-dive [Miami Herald]

Mitt Romney Has Some Down-to-Earth Tastes, He’d Like You to Know [New York Times]

Mixed impact on consumers from Fed's 'Twist' [Forbes]

1. Chris Writes

An Irishman's view on the right to life – http://wanderingirish.com/2011/07/02/child-killers-and-the-right-to-life/

September 22, 2011 at 9:38 am |
  2. Liz Carter in Georgia

I guess you blogsters who comments were 'he had 20 years to come up with a defense', what about the Macphails? Showing NO concern for his life, but for the life of the dead mans', didn't care whether DAVIS lived or died anyway; WELL NOW, since CNN so sparcely worded this article like this..."Despite a last minute appeal to the US Supreme Court and a protest out in front of the WH yesterday, DAVIS was executed last night"; I'm sure you all can now somehow spin a way to blame this on Pres OBAMA too, RIGHT?

September 22, 2011 at 10:37 am |
    • C-Lo

Liz–the reason this was sparsely worded is becuase it was in the WH BRIEFING Section. The SCOTUS had granted stays for him in the past, on at least one occation giving him "unusual" leway in providing a new defense (as was reported in my local paper).

That being said, and as I've said before, I think the recanting of the key eye witnesses (and I don't know when they recanted) should have provided reason for another stay, IF the recantments were done recently. Thre was definately strong evidence linking him to the crime (ballistics matching the gun to one he'd been conviced of using in another crime). And I'm curious as to the timing of the witness recants.

Bottom line, with this "evidence" why didn't Obama grant him a stay or commute his sentence? Not blaming, just wondering if maybe he felt Davis was guilty as well.

Another option, to play devil's advocate, what if Obama saw this as a chance to martyr Davis in an effort to abolish the death penalty? Right or wrong, he wouldn't be the first to be accused of such actions.

September 22, 2011 at 11:50 am |
      • C-Lo

and i stand corrected...pres does not have jurisdiction over state imposed penalties. He couldn't do anything if he wanted to. Directly, anyway.

September 22, 2011 at 1:57 pm |
  3. Liz Carter in Georgia

Truth is, had the last ditch effort to the US Supreme Court been prepared, submitted a little earlier; included the new evidential findings of reasonable causes for another 'stay', I'm sure the US SUPREME COURT would've 'stayed' it. We PROUDLY claim to be a 'NATION of LAWS'; even making sure that our justices who're seeking positions on the Nations Supreme Court WON'T rule by their hearts; gut feelings, sympathy or empathy; ONLY by the letter of the LAW. Wisdom? NO! What's RIGHT? NO! What's LEGAL? ALWAYS!!

September 22, 2011 at 11:24 am |
  4. Liz Carter in Georgia

Another truth is that the biggest hurt and disappointment to the Troy Davis Family and to the many Georgia workers, as well as the workers who came in, the demonstrators inside and out, black, white and other, even people who prayerfully followed this case; IS GEORGIA! The Georgia State Dept of Paroles should have stopped the execution in the first place! What else would it have taken? When the real killer admitted he did to a JUROR, with threats to her life? Many other new evidences had evolved also.

September 22, 2011 at 1:10 pm |
  5. Liz Carter in Georgia

I'm sure had our great Republican Governor Deal had stepped in and called for a 'stay' on the execution of TROY DAVIS, things would have been different. The murder case would have probably had the time to go back to court to be re-tried. NO DEAL WITH DEAL! Am I surprised? NOPE! That's par for the Georgia Judicial Lynching System, and especially for a black man. I know everybody claims they're 'not guilty', but I also know that many of us are 'not guilty'. It's a mal-adjusted legal system for us in Georgia.

September 22, 2011 at 1:30 pm |
  6. Liz Carter in Georgia

Even in Municipal 'traffic courts', there are enough of us in there to start a 'TARZAN' movie; like we're the only ones in the city who can't drive, or park. On the average, out of 100 ticket holders in the courtrooms at least 80 of them are black. That looks like targetting to me! I know it's mainly about collecting money! Most of us do stand there and say we're guilty; run downstairs, pay the fines instead of fighting! It still goes on your record. I FOUGHT ONE IN APRIL AND WON! It was for principle!

September 22, 2011 at 1:51 pm |
  7. Liz Carter in Georgia

C-lo; OBAMA wasn't even asked to commute the sentence. Yes, they marched in WASHINGTON, in front of the Whitehouse, apparently to garner the Presidents' attention to the urgency of the need to stop the execution, but NO! The appeal was not filed with him. The request for a 'stay' was to the Supreme Court of The United States; and yes, the Prez can overide a state imposed penalty. Presidents have been doing it for years. After exhausting all court appeals, convicts file applications for presidential pardons.

September 22, 2011 at 9:29 pm |
    • C-Lo

Liz, I had read reports that he was "deflecting" the issue...which I took to mean he was at least approached about it.

Regarding presidential pardons/commutations http://www.justice.gov/pardon/commutation_instructions.htm. Straight from the Justice Department Office of the Pardon Attorney:

"Under the Constitution, the President has the authority to commute sentences for federal criminal convictions, which are those adjudicated in the United States District Courts. In addition, the President's clemency power extends to convictions adjudicated in the Superior Court of the District of Columbia. However, the President cannot commute a state criminal sentence." So he had no power anyway.

Hope you and your family are well.

September 23, 2011 at 2:17 pm |
  8. Liz Carter in Georgia

Thanks C-Lo...so far since the sudden death of my 61 year old brother in July, my 94 year old mother is still hanging on as I write this response. However, I'm sure President Obama was told about what was happening in the Troy Davis situation. One would have had to be living in a vaccum not to have known about it; but for you to claim he was deflecting the issue, I believe is unfair. He still wasn't 'legally' approached about it, so what could he have done to stop it? It should've been 'stayed' in Georgia!

September 24, 2011 at 4:49 pm |
  9. Liz Carter in Georgia

C-Lo, I responded to your comment a couple of days before..but I guess CNN didn't like it. In essence I said thankyou the concern that you seemed to show for my family and myself. Next, I asked you how could you say OBAMA was 'deflecting' the TROY DAVIS issue? How and why did you come to that conclusion? What reports were you reading? I mentioned that unless he was in a vaccum, he had know about it! That didn't 'legally' give him leverage to stop it. Our Repub Gov Deal should've 'stayed' it! GA was wrong!

September 25, 2011 at 2:37 pm |
    • C-Lo

Liz..."concern I seemed to show." I know you don't know me, and because of our differences in opinions would lead to skepticism. Rest assured, however, that the concern I have is genuine. I have seen the ravages of Alzheimers and dementia on families, and know its devistating effects.

As far as Obama "deflecting" the Troy Davis issue, that's the way it was reported in my local, left leaning, paper. He was probably "deflecting" because he had no legal authority in the matter. So when he was "approached" it proably felt like a slap in the face to the activists who felt like he wasn't showing the concern he should have.

Basically, I was just trying to point out that O didn't have any legal authority to directly pardon, stay or commute the Davis sentence. But that does bring up a different question–even though he had no legal authority, why didn't he comment publicly and put pressure on those who did have authority? Again, not blaming, just asking, as he may have had good reason not to comment. No need to respond to the question either because it's more a retorical question that nobody except O knows the answer to.

September 26, 2011 at 10:10 am |
  10. Liz Carter in Georgia

C-lo; I believe I'd said already that it was not the PRESIDENTS fault or his duty to intercede. I think I made that remark on the night TROY DAVIS was killed SEPT 21, 2011 at 11:08 pm. I will go back and look. I wrote that I was just waiting for the conservative pundits and bloggers to come out after the fact, after ALL of the hate that he ought to die, and try to blame this on OBAMA too; especially since they demonstrated in front of the WH. I said then it was not his call, it was Gov Nathan Deals' call!

September 27, 2011 at 8:38 pm |
  11. Liz Carter in Georgia

C-Lo, I apologize for saying 'concern you seemed to show'. I should have worded that line better...I'm sure you are concerned and again I thank you. However, I'm still their American Cheerleader-in-Chief Ok? OK! OBAMA/BIDEN 2012! LOL! YES WE WILL, AGAIN!

September 27, 2011 at 8:59 pm |