Obama overhauls No Child Left Behind
September 23rd, 2011

Obama overhauls No Child Left Behind

Acting without congress, Obama announced significant overhauls of the No Child Left Behind law, one of President Bush's signature pieces of legislation.

From the CNN Wire:

Washington (CNN) - President Barack Obama announced Friday that states will be allowed to opt out of certain requirements imposed by the controversial No Child Left Behind law, the landmark education reform initiative passed with broad bipartisan support a decade ago.

The administration will immediately begin reviewing state applications to waive various demands imposed by the law in return for credible commitments to close lingering achievement gaps.

"Higher standards are the right goal. Accountability is the right goal. Closing the achievement gap is the right goal," Obama said at the White House. "But experience has taught us that in its implementation, No Child Left Behind has some serious flaws."

More HERE

Topics: The News

1. Joe

Let's leave obama behind what an idiot he is

September 23, 2011 at 1:36 pm |
    • lindsay

you sound like you were a child left behind. dont speak about things you have no clue over.

September 23, 2011 at 6:08 pm |
    • Ruth

You definitely must be a Republican / GOP or T-Party person. So talking education to you is useless. One has to be educated to know education. Obama was an accomplished lawer from Havard University and he knows the merits of education. The world is moving on to new technology and science and you and your fellow repubs, gopers and t-party can move backwards to the good old days of moving in carts and burning candles. Its your life and your choice one can choose to be educated or be uneducated the choice is yours. But dont sit there and criticize modern day civilization.

September 23, 2011 at 6:30 pm |
      • jean2009

Thanks for summing this up nicely. No child left behind, may have been a good idea with good intentions, but it has wound up being poorly implemented. In its present form, it requires teachers to achieve that the highest number of their students pass a test, written so students understand the least amount of knowledge. In the end it winds up leaving every child behind.

September 23, 2011 at 7:44 pm |
      • Bill in STL

The road to you know where is paved with good intentions.... This president has all the good intentionsin the world ... just ask him .... he will tell you so ..... the trouble is that some of us do not agree anf that just makes you libs so angry

September 23, 2011 at 8:16 pm |
      • jean2009

@Bill in STL What I meant was that President Bush may have had good intentions with NCLB, but as with so many of the things he thought were...it is just another that hasn't exactly turned out to be. It is just another costly failure which needs to be corrected.

Basically it was initiated so a group of Bush family, friends and Texas businesses could cash in on creating tests to evaluate students, teachers, and school systems, and so that Texas text book publishers could profit grandly from selling more textbooks aimed at teaching to those tests. Same old Rethugliklan tactics.

Eight years of Bush cronies war and school profiteering.

September 24, 2011 at 7:03 pm |
      • C-Lo

@ "jean"

I will try to keep this concise, but 2 points:
        1. Your attack on NCLB being a gift to Bush cronies can be attached to any number of lib initiatives–green energy, climate change, unions, etc. Again, more and more reason to limit fed gov't control and money. Dems set up and advocated for this system, then when their system goes to support causes they don't like, they throw a fit. REDUCE THE SIZE OF GOV'T!

2. I find it most ironic, if not downright hypocritical, that the left touts the education of the pres in PRIVATE schools but turns around and believes public schools are the answer and deny the ability of middle and poor classes to choose private schools through voucher programs and the like. If public schools are so great, why don't we see more leaders coming through them?

NCLB fails because it's a big gov't solution to a big gov't problem.

September 26, 2011 at 12:33 pm |
    • jharris

Your comment is so silly and has no meaning. Just because you dislike the Pres. Try to beat Obama and pick a candidate who will make policy to improve education. Such childish nerdy remarks.

September 24, 2011 at 12:05 am |
  2. Liz Carter in Georgia

You're the idiot! And you and the rest of your treasonist ilk will come to that conclusion soon enough. However, the rest of the nation is moving on! NEXT!

September 23, 2011 at 5:35 pm |
    • Bill in STL

Yes... you trraitor.... Liz has spoken in the only way she knows how. Slander, name calling, and one sided intellegence.

September 23, 2011 at 8:08 pm |
    • roya1230

No the rest of the nation is just warming up, we were disappointed when president extended bush tax cuts now that he is finding he voice the people who voted for him are warming up.

September 23, 2011 at 9:44 pm |
  3. 2010win

have you studies the flaws in the No Child left behind act, have you talked to your loca schools in the community to see how they feel about this law? ....no let me guess...Obama said it so you hate it. Geeze...

September 23, 2011 at 5:41 pm |
    • Bill in STL

Straight to the point.... These people are berefyof independent thought...... and plainly lack analytical skills

September 23, 2011 at 8:14 pm |
      • jean2009

What is a berefyof?

September 24, 2011 at 6:34 pm |
  4. Steve

Great job Mr. president. Finally it's time to get rid of Bush's no sorry leave every child behind law and reform education, great job. I cannot wait to see what better policy you can come up with. Let's leave the Republicans behind.

September 23, 2011 at 6:01 pm |
    • Bill in STL

There you go .... its all Bushes fault ,..... why is it always bushes fault... are you trying to tell me he (the president) is without fault? Just like that silly song those kids sang.... that was a take off on Jesus loves me......

September 23, 2011 at 8:13 pm |
      • jean2009

Thank you for pointing out he was shrubbery after all.

September 24, 2011 at 7:33 pm |
      • RaiseACaveman

Bush's Fault? The No Child Left Behind Law was written by the late Senator Kennedy. You know the guy from Massachusetts who endorsed then Senator Obama when he was running against Hilary Clinton. Then Senator Kennedy passed away and a Republican won his Senate seat largely based on the unpopularity of President Obama's wasteful spending of taxpayer dollars.

September 26, 2011 at 10:42 pm |
    • roya1230

Seems like president have found his voice

September 23, 2011 at 9:38 pm |
  5. Ruth

Great JOb Mr. President !! One has to be educated to know education.

September 23, 2011 at 6:32 pm |
    • Bill in STL

and ou would know this,,,,,,,How?

September 23, 2011 at 8:10 pm |
  6. Ruth

I know you are trying your best to change America but they will not change they live in the old days of moving in carts and burning candles.

September 23, 2011 at 6:33 pm |
    • Bill in STL

Funny ... I don't.... but then I don't call a socialist a progressive either.... Socialis is not progressive.... and Lawyers do not make the best politicians,

September 23, 2011 at 8:10 pm |
      • jean2009

That is a strange line of thought, since 26 of our 44 presidents have been lawyers. John Adams, Thomas Jefferson, Abraham Lincoln, Franklin Roosevelt all were lawyers. Frankly, you don't have to be a socialist to be a progressive, but most are. The last Republican progressive was Theodore Roosevelt. Today he wouldn't even belong in that thing that today calls itself the Republican Party.

September 24, 2011 at 7:21 pm |
  7. roya1230

I think president did the right thing, I have become impressed with the president in the last few days, standing up to the conservatives in tea party, ending don' ask don't tell and overhaul of no child left behind, i wish he could end bush tax cuts immediately with an executive order. considering he is the only president who finally could improve the broken healthcare system of this country.

September 23, 2011 at 9:42 pm |
  8. Liz Carter in Georgia

Bill in STL, please leave me alone. I'm not interested in your BS and sarcasm right now.@2010win; thank you for your post. Jean, you go girl...I thank you for your thoughtful comment and I agree 100%. Hey Ruth thanks for your comment too; tell'em girl!

September 24, 2011 at 12:20 am |
  9. superlogi

Overhauls it? He simply caved to the teacher's union in an effort to abolish it. It's what he does.

September 24, 2011 at 9:21 am |
  10. jharris

This should have been done years ago. I appreciate President Obama's effort, but I believe he is doing this for political reasons and to help his re-election chances. I like it when state and local governments set their educational standards because they know their children the best, which is a no brainer. What Obama is doing is not being so called "socialist" I am tired of unfunded mandates. I didn't see conservatives up in arms when this intrusive unfunded mandate was put into place. I guess conservatives and Republicans will be upset with what Obama is doing because they hate him.

September 24, 2011 at 10:04 am |
  11. gx45650

My 2 Cents: It's a sad day to see Republicans desiring to kill education, unions, environmental protection, pursuit of green energy, social security, medicare, medicaid, etc, etc, etc and basically trying to destroy the basic programs that preserve our way of life. This my friends is communism. If you can destroy the fundamental elements of our society and reduce the middle class down to poverty in the name of big goverment and and socialism by gutting the government and putting millions of more people out of work; you can thus widen the gap of wealth to the point where only a handful of people control GNP and thus put the rest of the country under their control. You look at this for what it is. They say we need to trust corporations to take care of creating jobs but they have lots of money and they are creating jobs IN OTHER COUNTRIES. The Republicans are ok with this. They say the government has never created any jobs. but it was the US Government that created the millions of jobs during WWII that brought us out of the depression. It was not corporations. I am not in favor of to much government control but I am an advocate that the government has a place in regulating fairness to give all people opportunity to live and work and enjoy freedom. If you reduce everyone to 7.00 an hour jobs or no jobs and allow a small percent to control the mass of wealth you have a communistic society. How easy it is for the Republicans to say we are for free market and lower taxes for the wealthy and not interested in creating any revenue. If the government has no revenue you have no real government. If you take away union barganing rights you basically move toward slave labor. They want to reduce our incomes down to third world country levels so they can make a larger profit. That is their goal Sure they are not for eduction. Educated people are smart and can see through the bull crap they are feeding us. I have voted republican most of my life. I am 57 years old but folks these people are not true americans and they are not true republicans.

September 24, 2011 at 12:17 pm |
    • C-Lo

You need to revisit poli-sci classes. Your description of where things are headed is facism, not communism, both requiring Big Gov't control. Historically, big gov't has been the bane of the Republican Party, and the Dems have embraced it. There have been some recent events/actions of certain Repubs, who were more RINO's than Republicans, and it is this group that, contrary to lib lies, has given rise to the Tea Party.

Additionally, your lies or mis-information of Republicans wanting to kill all those programs are just that, lies. Most of these "programs" are utter failures, some just taking longer and more money to figure that out. They all have at least one foot in the grave, some already have a couple shovels of dirt on top. We CAN'T kill them, they are already dead, just no one realizes it yet (or will admit it). These programs need full overhauls, and the fed gov't has proven that it is incapable of running them.

You say it's government's place to regulate fairness to give all people opportunity. This is one area we can agree. EQUALITY OF OPPORTUNITY–NOT OUTCOME. Libs want equality of outcome and taking us back full circle, THAT is communism.

September 26, 2011 at 12:46 pm |
  12. nvwikiwiki

NO Child left behind is a total failure.

September 24, 2011 at 1:56 pm |
  13. Liz Carter in Georgia

LOL! now thats funny Jean...that thing that calls itself the Republican Party...Eisenhower nor Reagan would be able to stay in that gang of obstructionists! Abraham Lincoln? They most certainly would've assassinated him by now! This thing has evolved into the monster who's eating AMERICA alive! When I say AMERICA, I mean the larger percentage..the 97%! This thing is like 'THE BLOB'! Oh yeah, it more like Alfred Hitchcocks'..'THE BIRDS'! BEWARE! Left to the GOP, Life as you know it WILL END! THINK FOLKS!

September 25, 2011 at 11:16 am |
    • C-Lo

Liz–just trying to catch up to you here. I responded on the Troy Davis thing, and about my concern for your family on that older post, it's still "waing moderation" for whatever reason.

Anyway, I also saw your comment about Ron Paul and that he and O are hand in hand on issues. I'd like to know your thoughts behind this statement...I see them as having the same concerns (which most of us do) but as near polar opposits on how to address the issues. Generally O seems to want gov't intervention and control, and RP wants individual responsibility and free markets. Please tell me how you see them as like-minded on solutions.

September 26, 2011 at 12:57 pm |
  14. lisk

Sounds like someone finally got it right! Education needs reform, but this was not positively contributing to our school system.

September 26, 2011 at 9:37 pm |
  15. RaiseACaveman

Wasn't the NCLB law written by the late Senator Kennedy? I know President Bush can propose laws but I'm pretty sure that congress has to write the laws.

September 26, 2011 at 10:19 pm |
  16. Liz Carter in Georgia

C-lo, I responded to you twice on the post you just questioned me about, while thanking you for your concern of myself and my family. I don't know why CNN won't post them. However, I will get back to you on your question to me...gotta go!

September 27, 2011 at 7:40 pm |