September 28th, 2011

Obama’s uneasy relationship with black voters

Washington (CNN) - President Obama always takes a broader view on issues of race and his policies. He likes to point out that whether he’s pushing for health care reform or more jobs, all Americans not just blacks stand to benefit.

This approach has not gone unnoticed.

Now, as the president courts black voters who were key to his success in 2008, some of them are less than enthusiastic.

"I think the expectations, however unrealistic, from the community are higher for him to quote un quote help us," said Darian “Big Tigger” Morgan, one of Washington DC’s top urban radio morning hosts. “That being said, I still think many people are very very supportive of President Obama,” he added.

But in a searing opinion piece in the Washington Post, metro columnist Courtland Milloy wrote, ‘It’s hard to see how the plight of black people could get any worse, even under a president Cain,” referring to the African American conservative presidential hopeful.

Joel Dreyfuss, managing editor of The Root, a daily online African American magazine, has heard the exasperation.

"There's a segment of the community that feels he could have targeted more efforts towards the African American community,” he said before defending the President. “I don't think it's feasible in this country politically."

One of the big criticisms is that President Obama has not adequately addressed the high unemployment rate among blacks. The latest figures from The Bureau of Labor Statistics show that number at 16.7% much higher than the national average of 9.1%.

"For African Americans it's been devastating for the last four or five years. For as bad as it been for the majority community, the white community, it's much worse for blacks, " said Dreyfuss.

President Obama understands that Americans are frustrated, but he’s paying close attention to his base as he ramps up his 2012 campaign and fundraising efforts.

Recently he sat down for a one-on-one interview with Black Entertainment Television, and delivered an impassioned speech before a Congressional Black Caucus event.

He acknowledged the economic crisis had taken a toll on an already “hard hit black community.”

"You've got to be a little crazy to have faith during such hard times," he told the audience.

Representative Maxine waters, D-California, said she was pleased that the president had given attention to a problem some feel he has long ignored.

"That's extremely important that people understand that the president gets it."

But a little air leaked out of that warm feeling when the president seemed to chastise African American leaders in that CBC speech.

“I am going to press on for jobs,” he said, then told those in the room, “I expect all of you to march with me and press on. Take off your bedroom slippers, put on your marching shoes. Shake it off. Stop complaining, stop grumbling, stop crying.”

Rep. Waters said she found the comments “curious,” and she speculated that the president had gone “off script.”

A White House official said that in fact it was an ad-lib moment, but insisted that “it was meant as a rallying cry,” and added that the audience gave the president more than a warm embrace.

While some African Americans may be frowning at the president, they are not smiling at the options.

That’s why Morgan, who voted for Obama in 2008 remains optimistic.

"I think they will come back out again. It's about engaging them It's about speaking directly or indirectly to them about the issues that effect them, " Morgan said.

Some strategists question whether the president will be able to generate the kind of enthusiasm that sent a large number of young black voters to the polls in 2008. In a tight race, which some of the president’s own senior campaign officials have predicted, it could be a factor.

Topics: President Obama • The News

1. PONDERINGITALL

All I no's is isa gonna go n git me some new house shoes...

September 28, 2011 at 5:42 pm |
  2. MTATL67

I bought my home in spring of 2010. Lost my job Nov. 2010. Started new Job Feb11. I got to keep my home because of programs President Obama created to help folks stay in their homes. If the Republicans were in charge I'd be out on the street and homeless. I know of no Republican economic plan, idea or proposal. That is why they are the party of "NO". Ask yourself what tangible help has the Republican and that extremist group provided. I make less money at my new job so what I spend I spend statically. I have re-landscaped my yard, bought a new washer and dryer. I never use go to Home Depot or Lowes but now I spend a lot of time there. I talk to my dad who built my mother a log cabin (everything but the electrical) a lot more to get ideas for my place. It has brought us closer. I still contribute to my 401K and to my savings account. I refuse to panic because the only thing Boehner, Cantor and McConnell can say is no. They will not scare me from going out and having a nice dinner or a night at the movies. I am going to continue to buy what I want with in my budget. If I want something I cannot afford then I save up to buy it. I will be getting my new plasma flat screen TV in two weeks (lay-away). I know this shopping is for me and my home. I have no illusions about that but just maybe one of the dollars that I spend could be the dollar that prevents someone from losing their job. If you can afford to buy things then buy them. You never know you could end up helping by more than you know.

September 28, 2011 at 6:00 pm |
    • Sallysuelee

If I could give you a gold star MTAT67... you have it. I am soooo grateful there are people willing to say thank you no matter for how small an opportunity. I think we've become hooked on whining that we let the small things go by without gratitude. THANK YOU for your story !!!!!!!!

September 28, 2011 at 6:16 pm |
    • gay boy republucan

Dems say hell no to EVERYTHING US REPUBS WANT, YALL ARE THE RACIST PARTY OF HELL NO

September 28, 2011 at 7:12 pm |
      • Larry L

These sound-off boards always end up like this... an intelligent comment followed by the comment from a moron.

September 28, 2011 at 7:23 pm |
      • gay boy republican

Larry u are a true idiot

September 28, 2011 at 7:39 pm |
      • gay boy republican

Larry called me a moron so I called him an idiot cnn

September 28, 2011 at 7:43 pm |
      • Larry L

I really opened myself up for that one... you should have said "how true, I see your comment following mine...".

My wife wouldn't have missed that opportunity.

September 28, 2011 at 7:50 pm |
      • Ain't life strange?

What YOU republicans want is not good for the country and the people in it. Thank god for the dem's!

September 29, 2011 at 6:04 am |
    • californiamind

if republicans were in office, you wouldnt lose your job!

September 28, 2011 at 7:15 pm |
      • XWngLady

You're kidding right?? I mean, really?

September 29, 2011 at 2:22 pm |
    • gay boy republican

Dont call me a moron democrat or is that just ur anti gay liberal hatemongering coming through

September 28, 2011 at 7:49 pm |
    • Steve-illinois

You're a conservative and ya just don't know it yet!

September 28, 2011 at 11:02 pm |
    • John

You lost your job less than 3 months after you bought a home and found another jon less than 4 months later? It sounds like you could not afford your home to begin with. You libs want the governmnet to support you? That is totally unAmerican.

September 29, 2011 at 7:10 am |
      • lisa2010

the man lost his first job and found another job, and because of his mortgage payments that he couldn't come up with because of the loss of his first job, he had a chance to refinance his mortgage to meet the payments of his second job because it did not pay as much as his first job... so i say if there is even a chance of little hope to save his home through his mortgage company, i say "good for him", considering it must have been close to foreclosure.. whenever there's a success story, we tend to put them down, because it did not happen to us... i say "Right On"!!!!

September 29, 2011 at 10:31 am |
    • Jay in NC

If you can afford a new plasma flat screen TV why are you asking us, the tax payers, to help you pay for your home? I think it is strange that you credit the president for bringing you and your father closer. My god, I hope Barry does his speech on toilet paper soon, otherwise you will not know what to do.

September 29, 2011 at 7:53 am |
      • WIMPY38

Oh hell, Jay, you don't even pay taxes. You and your clan are one of those survivalist groups that live in the backwood mountains of Ashville, N.C. and blame the gov't because you CANNOT afford a plasma TV.

September 29, 2011 at 1:11 pm |
    • Frustrated

Do you honestly believe you would be out on the street if ANYONE else was in the white house? The president (dem or repub) does not CREATE laws, he signs them. Way to often we give people credit or blame for something that just happened while they were in office. Hard to believe but ONE PERSON is NOT that powerful. Try to understand how the government works then make educated statements. Because of these type of politics our system is BROKE. We need a true leader to get us out of this mess. I don't think either party has offered a valid candidate yet!!!

September 29, 2011 at 8:04 am |
      • XWngLady

I was with you up until you said that you don't think that any party had a viable candidate. The President that we have now is a perfectly viable candidate, that had perfectly viable ideas. He reached out to the Republicans to compromise on issues and got his hand slapped away repeatedly. The Republicans had/have no interest in making the government work and or improving the economy for anyone other than the richest of the rich. They intend to keep the economy the way it is by way of obstruction and manipulation so that they can try to pin it on the President and win re-election. Period. And because our government is set up the way it is (checks and balances) there really isn't anything that the President can do about it.

September 29, 2011 at 2:27 pm |
    • Trace

@MTATL67

Come to think of it....I can't think of one thing the GOP/Republicans have done to help this country during my lifetime, except nominate idiots like Palin which made it impossible for intelligent people to NOT vote for them.

September 29, 2011 at 9:29 am |
      • Trace

CORRECTION: ...made it impossible for intelligent people to vote for them.

September 29, 2011 at 9:30 am |
    • AmusedInFL

MTA, You're not paying attention to what Boehner and the Republican party are saying no to.

We have Government creep in a big way; it just keeps growing and growing. It's just not possible to take care of every need of every citizen in the country from cradle to grave. It doesn't work; ask Europe.

September 29, 2011 at 2:09 pm |
  3. mary

The president is the president of all people and I don't think he has a problem with black voters!!! You have a few black leaders trying to make him a black president. The president has to have policies that benfit all americans. While I respect the old school civil rights leaders. Maxie Water, Cornell West and Tavis Smiley need to STFU. I say this as a 62 year old black woman raised in the south.

September 28, 2011 at 6:21 pm |
  4. ja

this mess we are in is caused by overt racism, the so called tea party has so much intolerance for a president of color until, they have become a national security threat, where were they when we embarked in the search for wmds, and two wars and squandering of a budget surplus, most need to crawl back into their holes

September 28, 2011 at 6:33 pm |
    • gay boy republucan

RACISM? Herman Cain a real black man is ahead in the polls now amoung repubs, hes over mitt and perry, the only racist are u and ur liberal buddies who hate everyone. Young black americans have a 47 percent unemployment rate thanks to obama, he dont care about blacks, like he told yall STOP UR CRYING, SO TELL HIM TO GO TO HELL AND VOTE HERMAN CAIN, THE HERMANATOR

September 28, 2011 at 7:03 pm |
      • Notfooled

You sound like a twelve year old gay boy.

September 29, 2011 at 5:35 am |
      • Trace

@gay boy,

You sound like you graduated from the school of GWB in writing and public speaking...totally incoherent. Geesh, did you miss english 101?

Anyway, Herman Cain can't stereotype the entire African American community as being brainwashed to vote Democrat nor is it reasonable for this author to say Obama has a problem with African Americans. A poster said it earlier "Obama is president for all americans" including those GOP / Tea Pee pants idiots. Max Waters, Clever and the like need to sit down and be quiet. This entire country was offended, hurt, nearly completely destroyed by the last administration . If these people are complaining about what Obama said in a speech to the CBC....I say STFU and put on your big boy, big girl pants, shake it off and get too work.

September 29, 2011 at 9:39 am |
      • lisa2010

yeah, and Herman Caine Called the blacks "Brainwashed", so you must be one of those that is...if he does get the presidency what makes u think that all of congress will welcome him with home arm.. his 999 plan still calls for a little of tax increase, and Congress answers will be no, no, no.....so who is BRAINWASHED....

September 29, 2011 at 10:37 am |
    • Billy

Yall still don't understand what the Budget Surplus was. Bill Clinton in 1993 after he won the presidency went on TV with charts and graphs to tell us if he took 100percent of the Rich People's money it would not be enough. So therefore despite is campaign promise he would have to raise everyone's taxes, and he did! Then in 1994 the people were angy about his violating his campaign promise so they elected the Republicans controll of both houses of congress. The Republicans did not remove the taxes at the time but they did keep Bill Clinton from "spending it". This created a yearly surplus which only a little bit at a time reduced the US Debt. However the high taxes some feel may have created the recessions that came later in 90's and first of 2000 before the Bush Tax cuts were enacted. The Bush tax cuts may have helped the debt to rise again, as well as the war effort. Take away the Bush Tax cuts, then don't be surprised about the fall once more of the economy as no one will have money to spend.

September 28, 2011 at 7:30 pm |
    • TBONE

OK prove it where is the proof that the tea party is racist don't just say back it up with proof stop spewing the CBC racist talking points give us the links to the audio and video you cannot because it is not there you are a liar like liz carter, you have no proof and peolpe are tired of your lies.

September 29, 2011 at 1:21 am |
      • Trace

@Tbone

Are you a grown-up or in Junior High....What's with the name calling and bantering about "prove it"?

Statistics; the Tea Party only represents about 22% of the entire country. Further, the percentage of African Americans in the Tea Pee Pants party is essentially non-existent. That would mean, either the party is racist or there is no out reach to African American communities. I believe to see a Tea Party rally in a urban black neighborhood, would be synonymous with seeing a unicorn. It aint gonna happen Ace!

So cool your jets and calm down with all the defense of what is clearly a party of selfish astro turf Dick Armey old folks that have no interest in seeing this country get back on its feet while Barack Obama is in office. That's not only racist but its un-American.

September 29, 2011 at 9:52 am |
      • lisa2010

the proof is when Cain won the Florida Straw Poll, which was a shock for everyone including the teapartyers..Perry got shot down as second place and Romney third.. that was a red flag for the teapartyers to ask Chris Christie to join in as one of the presidential candidates (even though he said no) i call that desperate, because there is a big possiblity that another black man might get elected as president.. open your eyes, and read between the lines..

September 29, 2011 at 10:46 am |
    • Jay in NC

Liberals are obsessed with the president's skin color. The rest of us are concerned about jobs.

September 29, 2011 at 7:56 am |
      • Trace

@JC in NC

You nor your party are obsessed with creating jobs. You are obsessed with placing blame on this president for a problem you and your group of non-thinkers brought upon this country. So stop the hypocrisy. Stevie Wonder and Jose Feliciano and see through your fake patriotism.

Let me guess (?)...Lower corporate taxes and get jobs created in america is your idea – HA, I laugh at you

September 29, 2011 at 9:58 am |
      • Hatim

God bless you and the two boys in your life. I'm on the registry and hope I can save a life one day!

March 4, 2012 at 5:34 am |
  5. George

GOP's plan for Herman Cain is to split the Black Vote. You'll see the TEA Baggers really create a third party if it's Obama vs Cain in 2012. Some people will rather burn in hell before the accept a Black person as an equal not to talk more of a leader.

September 28, 2011 at 6:55 pm |
    • gay boy republucan

George u are lieing, I am a tea party gay and we intend to have HERMAN CAIN AS PRESIDENT PERIOD, U LIBS ARE THE HATERS

September 28, 2011 at 7:08 pm |
      • George

If the GOPers and Baggers can boo a military serviceman currently deployed for being gay!? What chance have you. He's there fighting for their freedom risking his life but gets Boo-ed for being GAY?

You are definitely in the wrong party. I'll suggest you take a long hard look in the mirror.

September 28, 2011 at 7:17 pm |
      • gay boy republican

Whomever booed that gay hero should be deported to IRAN, the repubs on stage didnt hear the boos but some said they were sorry later, I put my country ahead of being gay and dems and their evil comments to repubs have turned me completely repub and all my gay friends want NOTHING TO DO WITH THE VICIOUS LIES AND HATE COMING OUT OF DEMOCRATES MOUTHS

September 28, 2011 at 8:08 pm |
    • Michell Cook

What happened to us as a Nation. It just seems crazy to me that we can disrespect our leadership. Okay.. if you don't like Obama fine... don't vote for him. He may not be doing the job to your satisfaction, but he deserves respect. I may not agree with all of his decisions, but I will flex my power at the polls. Slandering, name calling and finger pointing get us no where! We act as though we are so much better than other countries, but if you look at other countries; they have one thing that we do not. They a have a genuine sense of loyalty and love for they country. We are the most selfish people. We would rather see people go hungry, become homeless and die if it affects us. We as a nation need to change of way of thinking. It is okay to disagree, but it is not okay to disrespect.

September 28, 2011 at 8:54 pm |
    • TBONE

George tell me who passed don't ask don't tell

September 28, 2011 at 11:24 pm |
    • John

More stupid comments from a dumb lib. How many "white" people do you think voted for BO?

September 29, 2011 at 7:11 am |
      • George

Read my comments again. I said TEA BAGGERS!

September 29, 2011 at 5:46 pm |
  6. Reggie from LA

Readers, please be assured that Obama did not turn white because he was elected. TP and GOP will remind you constantly of this if you are too dense to understand that. Yes I know his is biracial. "Sniff, sniff, Obama didn't keep his promises, sniff, sniff". Of course he didn't!! The GOP and worse, the TP have made sure of it. if he were allowed to make good on his promises and presidency, 2012 would be their worse nightmare. Were I Obama, I wouldn't reconcile nonthin' with nobody. He fights hard to help a nation and all we do is whine and begin believing Right Wing rhetoric.

September 28, 2011 at 7:06 pm |
    • gay boy republican

Reggie honey, he was raised by his white liberal family, HE THINKS WHITE, HES A LIBERAL WHITE MAN WITH A TAN, PERIOD, FOR A REAL BLACK MAN PLEASE LOOK AT HERMAN CAIN, A REAL BLACK MAN WITH A WONDERFUL LIFE OF HARD WORK, HE REPRESENTS BLACK AMERICA NOT OBAMACARES NOTHING ABOUT BLACK AMERICA BUT UR VOTE, COME HOME BLACK AMERICA TO THE REPUBLICAN PARTY THAT SHED ITS BLOOD TO FREE UR PEOPLE FROM SLAVERY IN THE CIVIL WAR, DEMS FOUGHT ON THE RACIST SIDE TO KEEP SLAVES THATS A FACT, DEMS ARE BEING SUED RIGHT NOW by blacks IN COURT FOR SLAVERY AND JIM CROW LAWS THEY USED AGAINST BLACKS, thats a fact, look it up, Obamacares nothing about u was ask to apologise to black americans on behalf of the dem party, since he is their leader and HE SAID NO, SO BLACKS R SUEING THE DEMS FOR ALL THE PAST HATE, FACT, LOOK IT UP, VOTE CAIN AMERICA HES SMART AND A HELL OF A MAN

September 28, 2011 at 7:37 pm |
      • lisa2010

he was raised by his mom after his "dead beat" dad took off to the mainland to college, and after that he left for his homeland in Africa.. and remarried another women there.. we see alot of these in our own country, whether they be black or white, all dead beat dads.. that does not make them less of their ethnicity..his mom was a single parent, until she married a man whom she met at the university from indonesia.... then after his mom died of cancer his grandparents raised him.. what makes cain more afro-american then he his . Obama made it on his own by going to collgege, on to become senator and finally president... all Caine did was make pizzas and on to become successful..no experience in the political process..they both are successess!!! will Caine be able to make a decision when it comes to foreign policy, will he be able to choose his secretary of state, and his administration.. it will not work with the 999. he'll be a green horn if he gets elected as president.. i would rather have someone who's been there and done that...

September 29, 2011 at 11:20 am |
    • PhillyRN

Do people not get that there is no money? There is no money. The GOP is not "being mean and racist." There simply is no money. We are borrowing 40% of every dollar the government spends now.

We can't afford to give people mortgages they can't afford. We can't afford to give people government jobs. We can't afford to pay people's bills for them. That's all there is. It's over.

The party is over. Time to sober up and live within our means.

September 28, 2011 at 8:49 pm |
      • Trace

Hey PhillyRN, listen Hon, and I mean this with respect...there are huge contradictions in your post. We're out of money and we are borrowing 40 cents out of every dollar. Ummm if we are not borrowing 100% of every dollar, then we're not broke.

But here's a good question for you, since the macro-economy isn't exactly a strong suite for ya.....How is it we are spending $2 billion a week re-building middle east countries, yet we don't have any money to re-build the damage cause in this country by the Bush administration. Are these countries more deserving that this country? You answer that, and you will swing over scores of Democrats to that silly party we call the GOP / Tea Pee Pants party. Be I tend to think you will not be able to explain that.....Taking my answer off the air and good luck – LOL

September 29, 2011 at 10:07 am |
      • Trace

Where were you when the Bush administration was waging two (2) wars in the middle east, off the books? Did you say let's raise taxes to pay for those wars? But now when we need money to re-build this country, THE PARTY IS OVER, TIME TO LEFT AMERICANS SUFFER BECAUSE WE COULDN'T POSSIBLE SACRAFICE FOR THEM, BUT FOR PEOPLE IN THESE MIDDLE EAST COUNTRIES ??

Wow and they call that Patriotism?

September 29, 2011 at 10:12 am |
      • lisa2010

how do we know there;s no money... why are they still taking out taxes out of my paycheck? we're so use to listening to the negative side of every issue that we really don't question the other side... where is my taxes going to, big corporations so they can sit on their profits, and not hiring... if so, i want my taxes be refunded to me, so i can spend it the way i want to...

September 29, 2011 at 11:29 am |
    • Jean Sartre Milwaukee, WI

I am with you all the way Reggie!

President Obama has worked his derriere off for America, especially the poor, minorities and seniors; the GOP-TP racists have fought him all the way with a resounding "NO" to EVERYTHING he has attempted to do for this great country...

WHY?

They cannot handle a tanned man in the White House!

It really is that simple!

The truly sad part of all of this is that is going to continue, if President Obama should win a second term! The only way for President Obama to succeed is for the Democrats to regain the House and keep or increase their numbers in the Senate...

This is going to be about the most important election [2012] that we have had since LBJ was in office.

President Obama is fighting Wall Street, Pharmas, huge multi-national corporations, racist America, Health Care Providers, Insurance Companies, almost all of the filthy rich millionaire and billionaires in America.

This is going to be one Herculean task... but this honorable man will always have my vote!

September 28, 2011 at 11:19 pm |
    • Marry

@ Reggie – thank you, very well said!

…and below, that is a ridiculous headline!
      “President Obama’s uneasy relationship with black voters…”

President Obama always takes a broader view on issues of race and his policies. He likes to point out that whether he’s pushing for health care reform or more jobs, all Americans not just blacks stand to benefit….

Sorry, but that is exactly the right position to have. Tell me what is wrong with it??? The President is there to serve and work for ALL people and he knows that and does it!

September 29, 2011 at 6:20 am |
  7. dwdowty

I really wish people would stop identifying or relating to others by the color of their skin. American is American. Don't forget that just because you are black, it does not mean you are african american, either. I hope, whatever the perceived voter ethnicity or culture, that voters pick someone based on his or her merit and ability to get the job done, instead of whatever seems to be the most popular at the time.

September 28, 2011 at 7:10 pm |
    • lisa2010

yeah you're right on that.. I'm brown and when i go to the mainland people think i'm black or latino.. I am of hawaiian ethnicity and its weird how people react to my skin color and thinking i;m black.. we're (hawaiian) are darker because of the sunshine down here and we ends up tanned.. i lived up the mainland for couple of years while going to college, and my tan just faded away because i;m also chinese and portugese.. i'm so glad to be home, because here we seem to accept all races, and we tend to pass on the aloha to everyone..

September 29, 2011 at 11:39 am |
    • lisa2010

I think that's where Obama got that trait from, by being raised in hawaii.. his grandmother was a teacher, his grandfather was in the military...and since Obama was raised in hawaii, he tends to pass the aloha to everyone.. but i guess that's not enough with certain groups of people, they tend to want him all for themselves and their cause..

September 29, 2011 at 11:44 am |
      • XWngLady

African-Americans don't just go around all day thinking about racism. It isn't until we see a blatant manifestation of it that we have a problem with it. But then when we say something, its "playing the race card". Since Pres. Obama ran for office, we have seen "watermelons on the white house lawn", pictures of President Obama as a mon-key, as an African witch doctor with a bone through his nose, as a pi-mp with a First Lady Pr0st-i-tute, "Barack the magic ne-gr0" songs, "Obama welfare bucks" complete with fried chicken and kool-aid on it, ALL proliferated by Republican OFFICIALS (not just some lone discontented Republican voter)!! Even the F-B-I reports that activity among White Supremecist groups and threats to the Prez are unusually high since his taking office. I guarantee these folks aren't voting Democrat....

September 29, 2011 at 2:47 pm |
    • XWngLady

African-Americans don't just go around all day thinking about racism. It isn't until we see a blatant manifestation of it that we have a problem with it. But then when we say something, its "playing the race card". Since he ran for office, we have seen "watermeloons on the white house lawn", pictures of President Obama as a monkey, as an African witch doctor with a bone through his nose, as a pi-mp with a First Lady Prost-i-tute, "Barack the magic negro" songs, "Obama welfare bucks" complete with fried chicken and kool-aid on it, ALL proliferated by Republican OFFICIALS (not just some lone discontented Republican voter)!! Even the FBI reports that activity among White Supremecist groups and threats to the Prez are unusually high since his taking office. I guarantee these folks aren't voting Democrat....

September 29, 2011 at 2:44 pm |
  8. RENEE' MCDUFFIE

Gay boy get a life your rethugs are the racist ones

September 28, 2011 at 7:30 pm |
    • gay boy republican

Renee I have a life with my black husband of many years, dems will destroy AMERICA, OBAMACARE IS A BAD PRESIDENT, A SOCIALIST IN A DEMOCRATIC REPUBLIC CANT WORK, VOTE CAIN

September 28, 2011 at 8:18 pm |
  9. JESSICA

CAN SOMEONE TELL ME WHAT IS GOIN ON??

September 28, 2011 at 7:34 pm |
  10. paula

What I always find amusing is the fact that it is constantly stated that Obama is black. Well....technically his father is Kenyan and his mother is Caucasian so that would make him bi-racial. So I guess this does make him a true African American. Although I must admit both my parents are black & born in America. Obama's father was born in Kenya. Not the same. So personally I do not consider him "one of us."

September 28, 2011 at 7:51 pm |
  11. ED FL

President Obama brought this on himself. The black vote is not the only voting block he is losing.many military and veterans disabled and white voters have seen him give in to the GOP for whatever reasons. The rich didn't give up there cost of living increases the past 2 yrs like we disabled vets and social security cost of living. I am sure he would not notice if the cost of living went up due to the fact all his goodies are not relevent when it is on the backs of the not so fortunate.

September 28, 2011 at 8:00 pm |
    • S.Positive

Ed go to bed. It takes more than one person to govern and it will take more than three years to fix what the repulicans did till they left in 2008. Anyone who has not figured this out by now is a KID.

September 28, 2011 at 8:46 pm |
    • Marry

@ Ed – you just said he “has given in to the GOP/TP” and you do not like that. So, you should support the President and vote – so there will be a Congress and Senate for the President to work with after the 2012 elections! Then I am sure, he will not disappoint you during his second term!

September 29, 2011 at 6:32 am |
  12. Liz Carter in Georgia

The black vote, in general, is still behind OBAMA! Herman Cain is a fool! He will not win the PRESIDENCY even in his own dreams! The white supremast GOP/TEAPARTY is just using his 'real' black a** to pull votes from OBAMA! He ought to have sense enough to know that! From the times of slavery, we should've learned that Willie Lynch always kept one 'hold card', 'send my 'good' n****r to beat that 'uppity' n****r back into obedience and submission! They still use that strategy today! Wake up Black America!

September 28, 2011 at 8:27 pm |
    • gay boy republican

U are the racist spreading ur lies, I am the tea party, I am gay, my man is black and we put america over ourselves and we are not racist, please black americans dump the party that doesnt care about u, I love u, vote cain A REAL BLACK MAN

September 28, 2011 at 8:43 pm |
    • PhillyRN

Good Lord, do people still talk like this?

September 28, 2011 at 8:50 pm |
    • TBONE

Wow Liz Carter You have thrown almost every Racial epithet in the world in your mini rants, that I have read here on CNN, you are the most disgusting racist individual I have encounter on any blog format. Definition of Racist – a person who believes in racism, the doctrine that a certain human race is superior to any or all others. Racism defined -abusive or aggressive behaviour towards members of another race on the basis of such a belief – you my dear Liz are full of racism – and the CBC though maybe not a racist group does have members who have show that racism and racist qualities are OK to adhere to or preach to their people such as you and that many of those people are willing to ingest those bad qualities as well as spew them out here. Here is a list of your racism in your own words- "deflective, boomeranging racists" you yourself are exactly that, "Jay's nothing but a devils' advocate, if not the DEVIL incarnate!" you are calling a person a devil if not the devil incarnate because he disagrees with your political beliefs very piggish of you., "Do you see us running around begging to join the KKK, SKINHEADS, ARYAN NATION and other white supremast groups that I'm sure would like to maintain their whiteness." you mention this first and then when somebody states to you that you are comparing the CBC to these groups you turn it on them and call them a racist, "Problem is the racist GOP/TEAPARTYERS refuse to be led by an African American President" The President is one body of government in a system of checks and balances the hose does not follow the presidents lead and id they actually did then we would have not gotten anything done at all in the last 2.5 years because Obama has not actually done anything himself in the last 2.5 years other than to sign bills. "They hurried up and yanked in a few 'tokens' to cover their a**es after all of that racist demonstrating against the President and anyone supporting him; yelling and screaming...get that n*g*r out of there,...we want OUR country back!...monkey posters, marxism/Hitler, swatsticka posters, hats, bands, flags, and tee-shirts! That evil mindset, the core essence of that 'cult' is still there." What are you talking about the, the plants that the unions have stuck into the Teaparty rallies to get media attention trying to make the teaparty look bad, you will have to try harder than that Liz "I wonder about any BLACK AMERICAN who would join such a group after they showed us where they were coming from in the first place! I know times are hard though, so unless they paid them to stand up there on the cameras to be seen as 'token' members, and that has been done more often than not in this country, I can't envision any black person lowering their characters, standards or integrity to join such a core-racist group of 'white supremasts'!" I am personally offended by that last staement in your last staement you really show what a true racist you really are Just like Sheila Jackson Lee. In one sentence you claim not to be a racist then when everybodies back are turned you accuse the others as racist, beause we do not agree with the Presidents Policies. One last statement your white friend is that your TOKEN whit Friend because if I was your white friend and I knew that you were engaing others with this vehement zeal I would no longer be a friend of yours.

September 28, 2011 at 11:36 pm |
      • Shawn

really T bone he"s done nothing in 2.5 years. So i guess saving america from itself was nothing. And by the way thats what a president does he passes bills that"s one of his duties I guess u voted for bush and didnt know presidents did that. It sounds like u back the tea party hope that works out for u. Let me ask are u wealthy? If ur not then i dont understand ur allegiance. Oh i get it u think everyone shouldn't have health care right? lmao. Its people like u that make america the disgrace it is. Good luck with that!!!

September 28, 2011 at 11:49 pm |
      • John

She is difficult to deal with. She is a true racist hater and tries to call anyone who doesn't agree with her what she is.

September 29, 2011 at 7:13 am |
    • TBONE

Tell me Liz what political party was Martin Luther King Jr. registered with, the Man who said not to Judge a man by his color but by his charachter. I am waiting Liz, what Party, clock is ticking Liz.

September 28, 2011 at 11:40 pm |
      • Shawn

what color was the man that murdered MLK Tbone? what color were the men that bombed churches that killed little girls in alabama? What color were the men that killed medgar evers Tbone? really ur a joke u sound like a racist which is typical for a tea partyer are u gonna go shoot a democratic rep too? U believe in thieves and liars. Good luck with that!!!

September 28, 2011 at 11:58 pm |
      • Factfinder

Whoa guy not so fast...

September 29, 2011 at 5:22 pm |
  13. gay boy republican

Dear cnn, I am a huge cnn supporter I dont like fox, my friends told me cnn would not post anti obama comments, that is unfair, the libs call sarah a media whore and a bitch and a kunt and cnn posted that so please POST ALL,MY COMMENTS THEY ARE NOT AS HARSH AS LIBERAL COMMENTS. THANK YOU, A PROUD HOMOSEXUAL REPUBLICAN

September 28, 2011 at 8:31 pm |
  14. XWngLady

Here's the BOTTOM LINE: Black unemployment has been disproportionately high compared the the rest of the country/other groups since WAAAY before Pres. Obama stepped onto the scene. Its really high now, because the OVERALL unemployment level is high, but even in the best of times its been disproportionately high among AAs. Some members of the Congressional Black Causes that are fueling this debate have been in office for decades. The President is not stupid. He knows that the CBC, is attempting to divert attention away from themselves by trying to blame an ongoing, systemic problem (in a system that many of them have been a part of for years/decades) on him. This President inherited the worse economic climate since the great depression and has only been in office for 2 1/2 years. Economist predicted in 2009 that it would take at least 5-7 years to get this economy back on track. The CBC should be glad that "take off your bedroom slippers" and "stop complaining" is ALL he said.

What is worse is that this type of petty, misleading rhetoric from so-called "black leaders" and far left Democrats is starting to stick in the black community...Case-in-point: I spoke with a special ed teacher in an inner city school who told me that one of her black students said in class, "Obama is booty!...He's a punk. He ain't done nothing for black folks"....Now mind you, this kid cannot read, is not covered by any kind of health insurance nor does he have a clue how the government is structured or how it works. No doubt this kid heard something that some adult, some radio/talk-show host or so-called black leader said. Thankfully, this individual is not old enough to vote yet, but unfortunately there are now many blacks who are listening to the rhetoric and are poised to cut their own noses to spite their face in the next election.

As an African-American let me state categorically that my relationship with Pres. Obama is not uneasy. As a matter of fact its rock solid! I actually appreciate the fact that the Healthcare bill will insure MILLIONS of uninsured Americans (many of whom are blacks). I appreciate the fact that he's fighting for better schools, more pell grants and programs with community colleges to help underprivileged kids get a better education. I appreciate the fact he's going after predatory credit card companies given the high rate of debt in the African American community. I appreciate that he signed a law to ensure women get equal pay, especially given the fact that women in the AA community are often the sole breadwinner in the family. I appreciate the fact that he fought to have sentences for crack/cocaine offenses more equalized since unfair sentencing was negatively affecting incarceration rates in the AA community. QUESTION: What has Herman Cain and the Republican Party done since 2008 to help solve ANY problems in the AA community? (crickets, crickets)....EXACTLY!

September 28, 2011 at 8:39 pm |
    • gay boy republican

As an african american you need to wise up, black youth have 47 percent unemployment, thats half buddy. As our pres., Obama wont even apologize to black americans for past crimes against beautiful black americans by the american government, when ask he said NO to protect the goverment from being sued by blacks for past hate laws, OBAMACARES NOTHING FOR BLACKS HE WANTS UR VOTES ONLY, HE SUCKS UP TO RICH WHITE MEN AND EVEN WHEN HE HAD A DEM MAJORITY IN CONGRESS FOR TWO YEARS HE DID NOTHING FOR BLACKS AND JOBS. THAT MONEY WENT TO RICH WHITE MEN TO BAIL THEM OUT. HE IS A JOKE.

September 28, 2011 at 9:05 pm |
    • TBONE

The fact is he did not inherit the worst economy since the great depression as a matter to the fact the unemployment rates in last 10 years as follow were pretty stable until the democrats to control of the house and senate starting in February 2007. Let me clarify for all you folks who think you know how gov't works the president does not set spending policies CONGRESS DOES.

Unemployment Rates Jan 2001 – current

Year Jan Feb Mar Apr May Jun Jul Aug Sep Oct Nov Dec
      2001 4.2 4.2 4.3 4.4 4.3 4.5 4.6 4.9 5.0 5.3 5.5 5.7
      2002 5.7 5.7 5.7 5.9 5.8 5.8 5.8 5.7 5.7 5.7 5.9 6.0
      2003 5.8 5.9 5.9 6.0 6.1 6.3 6.2 6.1 6.1 6.0 5.8 5.7
      2004 5.7 5.6 5.8 5.6 5.6 5.6 5.5 5.4 5.4 5.5 5.4 5.4
      2005 5.3 5.4 5.2 5.2 5.1 5.0 5.0 4.9 5.0 5.0 5.0 4.9
      2006 4.7 4.8 4.7 4.7 4.6 4.6 4.7 4.7 4.5 4.4 4.5 4.4
      2007 4.6 4.5 4.4 4.5 4.4 4.6 4.7 4.6 4.7 4.7 4.7 5.0
      2008 5.0 4.8 5.1 4.9 5.4 5.6 5.8 6.1 6.2 6.6 6.8 7.3
      2009 7.8 8.2 8.6 8.9 9.4 9.5 9.5 9.7 9.8 10.1 9.9 9.9
      2010 9.7 9.7 9.7 9.8 9.6 9.5 9.5 9.6 9.6 9.7 9.8 9.4
      2011 9.0 8.9 8.8 9.0 9.1 9.2 9.1 9.1

It takes about a year before a good or a bad thing can effect the rates. Take 2001 for example in March 2000 the economy OOOoooh that Bad Bush guy( oh wait a minute he wasn't elected until Nov 2000 and was not signed in as of Feb 2001) Funny thing is that According to Bill Clinton the Downturn did not occur until he was out of office(liar), Sorry I digress, The recession sarted in March of 2001. And God forbid the unemployment rose, and I remember all the dems crying Foul Foul Foul, to a humungous 6.3%. But the rate qwas brought back down to 4.4% by Oct 2006 then what happened the dems gained control of the wallet again by taking control of congress being sighned into office March 2007 and by March of 2008 we are at 5.1% March of 2009 By the time Obama gets into office Dems are alreay spending the country to oblivion we are at 8.6 % a year. I am having a hard believing that the Dems had nothing to do with this. Didn't Obama promise this would not happen and now it won't get below 9.1. NO OBAMA DEFINITELY IS RESPONSIBLE for the economy he just needs to put all the blame on other people.

September 29, 2011 at 12:56 am |
      • Please

Wait... so The President doesn't set spending policy... then you say it's his fault the economy is bad... Do you see what you just did there? do you?

September 29, 2011 at 1:11 am |
      • Notfooled

The budget for 2009 was still under Bush. The fiscal year ends Oct. 1. According to your chart the unemployment was at 10.1 in Oct. of 2009. You still think President Obama is at fault? Jobs started going overseas in 2005. Bush tax cuts in 2001 and 2003 left no revenue. Dems spent money on his 2 wars, TARP, high unemployment, interest on national debt which was 10.7 Trillion when President Obama took over. Still think President Obama was to blame?

September 29, 2011 at 5:24 am |
      • Realitybites

The enormous credit bubble created jobs in the middle of Bush's eight years, then it burst. If you can't figure that one out, you're wasting your time with that gibberish you just wrote. Just one question? What exactly is the correlate between the Democratic congressional majority and Democratic legislation (you know, the thing that's signed by the president) that lead to the rising unemployment those years? Tick, tock, tick tock...........

September 29, 2011 at 5:40 am |
      • XWngLady

The Democratic controlled House and Senate could not as much as tie their shoe during that time, because any bill they passed had to be signed by the REPUBLICAN President George W. Bush! As a matter of fact, from the year 2000-2007, Pres. Bush had set a record for a President for the longest amount of time in office with the shortest number of vetos since Thomas Jefferson!!!.That is, that when he had a Republican controlled House and Senate he only had 1 (ONE), count it, ONE veto. But between 2007 and 2009 once there was a Democratically controlled House and Senate, he had 11 vetos! So the Democratic House and Senate couldn't do squat as long as Bush was in the WH....and in terms of youth unemployment, while this economic downturn has hit our community hardest, a lot of it is our own fault. I come from a line of teachers who have taught in the inner cities for decades and will tell you that a major problem with education and by extension un/underemployment among AA youth is a direct result of POOR PARENTING. Period. Some of this we have brought on ourselves, and the current ecnomic situation has only made it worse. DO NOT try to blame everything on Pres. Obama.

September 29, 2011 at 1:34 pm |
  15. Sae-jin

Perhaps Obama considers himself American first, not black. Good lesson for all races and ethnic groups.

September 28, 2011 at 8:40 pm |
  16. Liz Carter in Georgia

The underlining problem of all of this BS is stemming from a race war, that's been going since forever and has excalated to new heights since OBAMA won the Presidency. The GOP/TEAPARTY supremacists, and even some DEMS supremacists, have worked hard to block anything this PRESIDENT has tried to do to save the nations' majority, the 95%, from further personal damage. That would show him as just looking to good by election time, and their mission and goal is to make that black man a one term President, PERIOD!

September 28, 2011 at 8:59 pm |
    • gay boy republican

Their u go again liz with all ur lies lies lies, its the dems that are saying no to what we repubs want not the other way around. SAVE AMERICA I BEG U, VOTE REPUB.OBAMACARES NOTHING, HES A MILLIONAIRE, GIVE ME A GAY BREAK

September 28, 2011 at 9:23 pm |
    • TBONE

Psycho Racist

September 29, 2011 at 1:16 am |
    • Notfooled

Liz you are right again.

September 29, 2011 at 5:40 am |
  17. Liz Carter in Georgia

...they try to hide their disdain, and hate in politics. I'm aware that some peoples questions/comments may hold some validity, but the majority of them stem from the right wings mission to sabatoge; keeping this black President in bad light to the 'stupid'! Dismissing and demeaning his political decisions to a degree NEVER shown another President, barring assassination! Berating his notable wisdom, thoughtfulness, intelligence; even his educational accomplishments! White supremacists hate smart BLACKMEN!

September 28, 2011 at 9:24 pm |
    • AL Independent

"...demeaning his political decisions to a degree NEVER shown another President..." Liz, you can't be serious. Do you realize the horrible things that Democrats said, and still say, about President Bush? They didn't only degrade his policies, they publicly berated his character the entire time he was in office. For everyone here blaming the GOP/Tea Party for everything wrong, did you all forget that there were two years of a super-majority of Democrats in Congress. There wasn't a thing the GOP could do to stop ANYTHING from passing. During that time, the Democrats couldn't even pass a budget. How about this... everyone put down the school-yard hair pulling and fighting. Neither party is better/worse than the other. Neither serves the public. They each have their own donors and special interest groups that they serve.

September 28, 2011 at 9:55 pm |
    • TBONE

NBPP Put my money on it

September 29, 2011 at 1:17 am |
  18. mikle

Where is YES WE CAN, Where is close Gitmo, Where is change, Where is 1/2 debt in his first term he promise, where is jobs. You now and i now where? In his a....... I vote for him – He was historical person, but not anymore.

September 28, 2011 at 9:46 pm |
    • Notfooled

Ask the Republicans that have fought him every step of the way!

September 29, 2011 at 5:32 am |
      • John

A person is supposed to follow blindly with what they disagree with? This president has played the race card from before he entered office and now he is stuck on class warfare. The American people, including many people of color are no longer fooled by this guy. The bias media has an obvious agenda and the libs think everyone thinks like they do. The approval numbers of BO and what he is doing prove they do not. Many, many white people voted for this guy last time around or he wouldn't have been elected. Now the libs call those same people racist because they disagree with his policies. Even libs can't think these people will vote for him again.

September 29, 2011 at 7:20 am |
    • quinLee

In the famous words of Fred G Sanford, "You Big Dummy". Where have you been for the past 2.5 years. Have you not seen or comprehended the obstructionism. That's what happened to "Yes We Can". I was undermined by "Hell No You Can't". Further, "Hell No You Can’t" even if the country is burning. Literally, the Repubs/TeaParty et al would rather see the country burn.

September 29, 2011 at 7:43 am |
  19. George

Is it me or does "gay boy republucan" sound like an Internet Troll, paid to instigate by sounding like a black uneducated person. He sounds like a person forcing grammatical errors in his sentences (IN CAPS) on purpose. Nice try Tea Baggers.

September 28, 2011 at 9:47 pm |
    • gay boy republican

Oh please, I am a white guy who HATES the way in my opinion that our president is ruining AMERICA and taking black americans for granted.

September 28, 2011 at 10:02 pm |
  20. mominpa

Obama....the most devisive, damaging president and saying he is worse than Carter is quite the accomplishment. He has many wonderful ideas to level the classes but he has no idea how to pay for this. To make it worse, the media has gone black on the european economic turmoil caused by socialist programs. This is a country where 50 percent do not pay taxes. In socialist countries with health care, everyone pays taxes....no breaks for middle class. Holland imposes a 30% income tax on everyone. Canada imposes tax on everyone. This country;s rich pay more than anyother country. How do you expect 50% to provide for all Obama's plans and lower the debt seciling? Can't happen> Obama has made you all think you are entitled to have what people earn thru working. It is time for everyone to alter life styles like they did during the great depression. My husband lost his job, I started a business and he found a job. We did not sit back and collect unemployment!

September 28, 2011 at 9:56 pm |
  21. gay boy republican

Post my comments

September 28, 2011 at 10:17 pm |
  22. Shawn

ur prolly some of the same idiots that voted for bush. U people are doomed to drown in ur own crap. What dont u understand about republicans destroying this country. Did Obama create this mess? No! republicans did. I guess u dont care that rich people pay more taxes than poor or middle class people. I guess u dont care that corporations have gutted this country with the aid of republicans. they gave them all the the tax breaks and they still managed to not only put the country in crisis but they also take money out of america and put it in foreign banks for tax purposes because republicans allowed it. So u go right ahead and believe in people like Sarah Palin I wanna see where u come out!!!!

September 28, 2011 at 11:27 pm |
    • Yanince

Posted on Its just wonderful to see how three best rfiends wind up in a storythats just so complicated and poetic. I was amazed by the outcome ofevery situation and I think there should be more movies like this one.Even the music was perfect for the movie. I also really like it whenthe makers put something useful to know in the movie and in this one,they certainly did, but what I liked most is that the piece that themouse (or rat) played in the story, without it, the movie would havebeen less meaningful and I think its really great that people can comeup with these things to put in their movie which completes it without it, the film wouldnt have been the same. great piece ofwork

March 2, 2012 at 8:20 am |
  23. Mariee

Obama has not helped the blacks or hispanics, he is like a white man, helping the rich only, very disappointing.. I know it is not all his fault but still disappointing.

September 28, 2011 at 11:41 pm |
    • Shawn

Mariee ur wrong. U really need to read and inform urself

September 29, 2011 at 12:02 am |
    • TBONE

Mariee- Obama has not helped the blacks or hispanics sounds a little selfish to me Obama has not help Asians or whites either he has help no one but his wealthy lefty cronies, like solindra and another solar outfit run by nancy pelosi's brother. Unons and community partners such as acorn. What really sucks for everyone is derisive people like liz carter who try to say that people like me who think he has failed must be racist because Obama is Black, Funny thing is that ethnically speaking, Obama is about 1/8 Black 3/8 Arab and 1/2 white.

September 29, 2011 at 12:14 am |
  24. TBONE

FAMOUS QUOTES

“Don’t you think we’re not keeping score, brother” – Chairman Obama

“Bring it on”- Obama Regime to The American People.

“Get ready for hand-to-hand combat with your fellow Americans” – Obama

“I want all Americans to get in each others faces! – Obama

“You bring a knife to a fight pal, we’ll bring a gun” – Obama

"Republicans are our enemies"–Obama

** Obama on ACORN Mobs: “I don’t want to quell anger. I think people are right to be angry! I’m angry!”

** Obama to His Mercenary Army: “Hit Back Twice As Hard”

** Obama on the private sector: “We talk to these folks… so I know whose ass to kick.“

** Obama to voters: Republican victory would mean “hand to hand combat”

** Obama to lib supporters: “It’s time to Fight for it.”

** Obama to Latino supporters: “Punish your enemies.”

** Obama to democrats: “I’m itching for a fight.”

“the Cambridge Police acted Stupidly” ” – Beer Summit Gaffe Leader

“God Damn America” – Barrack Hussein Obama’s Spiritual Advisor

“We should rip the heart right out of the chest of a former Vice President of The United States!”
    – Left Wing Hate Hero And Agitator for Leftist Terrorism – Shultz

Most Divisive Administration In History.

September 28, 2011 at 11:48 pm |
    • Please

Please list every source for your quotes. also list the entire transcript of each session, speech, meeting etc... I'd like to read these quotes. in CONTEXT

September 29, 2011 at 1:09 am |
    • Realitybites

Uh, yea

September 29, 2011 at 5:31 am |
  25. Shawn

oh and one more thing if u dont think Bush knew that the whole banking industry was lying and stealing to make themselves rich then ur bigger idiots than I think. Republicans have almost destroyed america yet u racists would rather ur country be least instead of best than have a black man lead I got news for u black man + white woman = black baby
    white man + black woman = black baby white people who have daughters some of u are gonna have black grandchildren we dont have that problem once black always black enjoy ur power while u can. pay back is a mofo!!!!!

September 29, 2011 at 12:09 am |
  26. blackeveryman

When whites or Blacks refer to Black people as racist, they completely ignore the fact that racism is a personal, educational, political, employment, economic and cultural repression of a people or group based on race (ala Nazi Germany). It is therefore impossible for Blacks to be racist in this country. While some Blacks may make offensive comments based on race, they cannot deny a home loan, apartment rental, job, cultural event etc. based on race. White people can, have and continue to do so. This is the insidious reason behind the call for 'less government' and the moves to abolish government organizations charged with trying to level the playing field. it is why the Tea Party is inherently racist; not because they oppose 'big government', but because eliminating government oversight and/or regulations would allow them to return to the days when institutional racism was hidden, prevalent and deadly to ALL minorities. The days when white men made all the decisions and everyone else was forced ("don't retreat, reload") to live by them.

September 29, 2011 at 1:49 am |
  27. Mike

I mean the republicans want to go back to slavery, and they don't like Obama. Well I guess its a disease voting against your best interest. I guess for half the country they won't be happy until they are living in a cave.

September 29, 2011 at 1:58 am |
  28. blackeveryman

@tbone: your math is bad because your knowledge is faulty. Obama's father was a Kenyan African whose religion may/may not have been Islam. The are thousands of African_Americans with Islamic based names, they are no less Black. If anything, his percentage is 1/2 Black and and 1/2 white, since neither of his parents ever stated that they were Arabic, though his mother may have been Jewish (not sure about that though).

September 29, 2011 at 1:58 am |
  29. Liz Carter in Georgia

@TBONE; I know that the truth is cutting isn't? I also know that it can be a double-edged sword to the ones involved on both sides of the issue, but I don't take back a word of the quotations that you cut and pasted of what I said! The last time I checked, this was still called the United States of America SO FAR, and those remain my views on how I feel many live, vote and thrive in this system. White supremacy is still with us..and BIG TIME, showing its ugly face daily since OBAMA has been President.

September 29, 2011 at 4:06 am |
  30. Liz Carter in Georgia

..Now if what I feel disgusts you so much, you may need to stop reading my posts because you will not scare me nor shame me into retreating from the truth of the underlining racial disparities, double and triple standards waged against a certain people, mainly of the minority races in this country, including the President. You are not the first to call me a racist, so don't feel like a 'SUPERMAN'..it doesn't change a thing. You can kill the messenger, but you can't kill the message! RACISM IS STILL ALIVE!

September 29, 2011 at 4:24 am |
    • Colectivo

Posted on Give that 50 Billion to build and safeguard our Southern Border. Build the damn wall! We will save that much on not ohisung illegals and spending more taxes on law enforcment to deport illegals and incarcerate criminals, only to have them come back in over and over again!!this just inTHE CARTEL HAVE SEIZED 80 MILES OF Park Land in Arizona and our Federal Government does nothing but tale local law to post signs NOT TO HAVE AMERICAN CITIZENS GO ON AMERICAN LAND! They are giving our Sovereign land to the Drug Cartel! This used to be hiking/ATV fun land I am shocked and apalled and no biased other news stations are reporting it!

March 2, 2012 at 1:25 pm |
  31. Liz Carter in Georgia

If you are that disgusted or if you felt so offended, you may need to take a good look in the mirror yourself..racist. My whole point was to draw a line straight from what was supposed to now be 'history' to what I still see today. What was said to be wrapped up, put to bed and over! It seemed that after going through chattell slavery, all of the 'Freedom Marches', beatings, lost lives and livelihoods, slandered reputations, stolen dignities, disrespect, and pure hate, America would be beyond it! She's not!

September 29, 2011 at 4:58 am |
  32. Liz Carter in Georgia

Now you had the audacity to bring The Late Great Martin Luther King Jr into the debate. What did they do to him for speaking his mind? He was another intelligent black man, who was out fighting the systems 'status quo' of perpetual inequality, PEACEFULLY! You asked me what party was he registered with. I know he was affiliated with the Republican Party, as was my 94 year old mother was. Most blacks in the South were ABRAHAM LINCOLN Republicans and for good reason. LINCOLN wouldn't be in this GOP/TP today!

September 29, 2011 at 5:14 am |
  33. Realitybites

Uh, the title should read 'Obama's Uneasy Relationship with ignorant, less educated black voters'

Sincerely,
    Professional middle/upper class black man (and no fan of Cain either)

September 29, 2011 at 5:29 am |
  34. Liz Carter in Georgia

That trick of a Republican Party now is another animal! A whole different breed...if it wasn't such a scandal they'd have us all back in slavery today! The late MLK did actually change his affiliation to the Democratic Party when the racists in the South started infiltrating the Republican Party and it seemed that cancer just spreaded throughout the whole thing; most of it anyway, barring a few old Loyal Lincoln ones; and it was always considered the party of the rich! It became the party of the elitists.

September 29, 2011 at 5:39 am |
  35. Notfooled

The Black voters will back President Obama and so will a lot of the White ones. He will win by a landslide because the Republicans have nothing to get this country back on solid ground. Everything they propose will make it worse. More unemployment with their cut, cut ,cut, mentality. No raising taxes = no new revenue. Yes the blacks will back him because the repubs will not back them. It is that simple. Get out and vote or they will win. If you think it's bad now , let the repubs in and you will really know what is bad and we will all go back a century. Move forward not backward.

September 29, 2011 at 5:50 am |
  36. Jerry

CNN, don't you "guys" think it's about time the growing/powerful/influential Black (as well as the white, Latino, etc., etc.) communities waked up from their slumber. It's not weather NObama is Black, yellow or orange. It's about a competent president and leader.

Right now he is none of the above. And, the Black and other communities are starting to wake up to that hard reality.

Being a life-long Democrat, I really, really wish I could opine otherwise. Sometimes I am hopeful we are beginning to see the light at the end of the tunnel. However, upon arriving I see there is absolutely no light and, worst, the tunnel is completely blocked.

Instead of trying to work with the opposing party, Mr. NObama mostly crucifies anyone that does not agree with his administration's policies. He has surrounded himself with a bunch of incompetent "yes" men and women that make Americans doubt the seriousness of his administration. He's been in office nearly three years now. Whenever something negative is discovered, it's never his administration's fault (Bush did it!)

Worst of all, because of this administration's policies, our beloved country is so polarized that little if anything can be accomplished.

Ok, ok, I know I have stepped on some tender toes. Opposing/respectful view points are welcome.

Stay tuned!

September 29, 2011 at 5:50 am |
    • quinLee

You state that Obama is not working with the opposing party. Are you that dumb or do you think everyone else is? Obama and the Dems have bent over so much we can see their tunnel. Every freakin Bill, suggestion, or idea (including past GOP ideas) have been met with "Hell No".

September 29, 2011 at 7:53 am |
  37. Liz Carter in Georgia

I've read that Democrats were against civil rights bill, but back then you had conservative DEMS and of course your conservative REPUBS! They both were against civil rights for blacks before they were for it! MLK was focused on the poor people in America and yes the Democrats signed on to trying to rectify the situation by focusing on ways to eliminate such hunger in AMERICA, put the poor in 'projects' at least they'd have a roof over their heads until they could do better. Most times that never happened.

September 29, 2011 at 5:59 am |
  38. Liz Carter in Georgia

TBONE; BTW, I guess you can see I am from the same place MLK was from! I worked with my mother on some of the demonstrations, sit-ins, lay-downs and marches even though I was still in highschool so I think I know a little something about the KING family and his messages. I didn't get to go with them on all of the campaigns because it was something going on all the time here! As I said before, I was still in school but my mother went as much as she could as she tried to continue keeping up our home for us.

September 29, 2011 at 6:25 am |
  39. Liz Carter in Georgia

You threw out the MLK statement about 'judging character rather than color', well that's exactly what I'm concerned about. What else could that man have done to prove his worthiness? BARACK H OBAMA has managed to rise above all odds against him and has shown good character, wisdom, intelligence, patience, and foresight but there's a systemic conspiracy in place to tear that all down for him and I don't like it. I know I can't fight the system by myself but I sure can let you know I see what you're doing.

September 29, 2011 at 6:41 am |
  40. Liz Carter in Georgia

MLK actually said 'I have a dream that my 4 little children will one day live in a nation where they won't be judged by the color of their skin, but by the content of their character'. He used his on children as the example of.his goal. Has that day come yet? I think not. I'm paraphrasing; he went on to say..'Let freedom ring...in the red hills of Georgia...Mississippi...and more, at the nations capitol on Aug 28, 1963 in front of 250,000 people of which my mother was one,standing for justice and equality!

September 29, 2011 at 7:27 am |
  41. Mike, formerly from Syracuse

In 2012 98% of blacks will vote for him anyway. 3 guesses why.

September 29, 2011 at 7:32 am |
  42. Liz Carter in Georgia

Lastly, TBONE, Martin Luther Kings' closing statements in that speech in Washington...'I have a dream that one day this nation will rise up and live out the TRUE meaning of its creed: 'WE HOLD THESE TRUTHS TO BE SELF EVIDENT THAT ALL MEN ARE CREATED EQUAL'. If you think that has occurred, take another look around. Just look at what's been transpiring on the social/political scene. Even if there were disagreements, I haven't seen a US President treated or mistreated this badly in my life! What is it then?

September 29, 2011 at 7:46 am |
    • clilshortie

I agree Liz I jus said the same thing.... I can only shake my head....

September 29, 2011 at 8:12 am |
  43. nkeo

The most historical debate this country will watch will be the debate between Herman Cain and Pres Obama. It will be very enlightening and it is a debate only these two men could have together. If you don't know who Herman Cain is -find out today.

September 29, 2011 at 8:15 am |
  44. Liz Carter in Georgia

John; I know it took many whites to vote for OBAMA to get him elected and I've often thanked them on this blog and others for their openness, trust and support of him. I did it on his behalf, because there are so many blacks who don't vote, or who can't vote that had whites turned the other cheek McCAIN would be President. However, I also know if by chance, had every black voter voted for OBAMA, he still wouldn't have gotten in. There simply isn't enough of us! Thanks; and let's do it again white family!

September 29, 2011 at 8:20 am |
  45. Frustrated

One question... and I truly believe this and you do too, you just won't admit it. There are racists in BOTH parties. OMG... I said it!!! You know what else... they are GOOD, HONEST, CARING, NON-RACIST in both parties too!!!! Crazy concept huh?
    Stop the party rhetoric. All repubs are not "tea party" members, all "tea party" members are NOT racist. All dems are not liberals. Nothing is that black and white. Where has this rhetoric gotten us lately???????? NOWHERE!! Get it??????? I pray for a real leader to emerge from either party. One truly concerned about PEOPLE and NOT PARTY!!! Don't see one yet!!!

September 29, 2011 at 8:30 am |
  46. Liz Carter in Georgia

One more thing John, you don't have to feel compelled to speak for me..I can speak for myself, and I don't mince my words, nor bite tongue. Oh yes, I love my people like family, like I'm sure you love yours, whatever race they are; however, I love the human race more and just pray that one day we all will really be judged by the content of our character, rather than the color of our skin! That day still isn't here for everybody! Probably never will be, but I just let you know, I know it! You dont like that!

September 29, 2011 at 8:39 am |
  47. Liz Carter in Georgia

@Notfooled; thanks...and how are you doing? Hadn't seen you much these days. LOL! As always thanks for usual good comments.....I agree.

September 29, 2011 at 8:45 am |
  48. Liz Carter in Georgia

You got that right John; I sure am a 'true racist hater' and that's because I hate racists...and especially the ones who hide under cover and live in a perpetual, subconcious denial about it. However, I'm like your Former Republican President, the late Richard B Nixon..'I am not a crook'! I suppose if he could voice those 5 words so sternly and strongly but was guilty; I guess I can sternly and strongly voice these 5 words, YET AGAIN,...'I am not a racist'! and NOT be guilty! LOL!

September 29, 2011 at 9:11 am |
  49. Weirdedout

BEcause Republicans are in office, we are $14 trillon in debt because SOMEONE thought its a good idea to throw money at a situation. Now Obama has stuck the next generation with a tab that will take the next several generations to pay off.

September 29, 2011 at 9:26 am |
  50. Liz Carter in Georgia

Very good comments @blackeveryman, @Mike, @Trace and @Lisa. Thanks...I agree wholeheartedly.

September 29, 2011 at 12:54 pm |
  51. Joe

Obama will screw over everyone but himself

until We the people throw him out in 2012

the idiot is cluless and is not a Leader
    He's a Snake Oil Salesman

September 29, 2011 at 12:59 pm |
  52. Liz Carter in Georgia

Barack Obama is a true African-American. He's more so than most AAs in the US. His father was African; my great, grandfather, and great grandmother parents were Africans. Since it seems that he himself embraces his own Africanism and his mother was a white American, so I think that should be the end of the 'roots' discussion of the President! He's purer than most of us.

September 29, 2011 at 1:08 pm |
    • Joe

He is a Muslum as his father Barrack Hussain Obama A Muslum with a Socalist Twist

He's a Snake and the Idiot Blacks that voted for him and will vote for him, will only voted based on color

September 29, 2011 at 5:20 pm |
      • George

psst....(in whisper) guess what. He's your president...choke on it!

September 29, 2011 at 6:07 pm |
  53. sara

Who are these people that are SPEAKING for me? YOU don't speak for ME!!! More accomplished with him than with Bush or any other republivcan...Reagan gave you powdered milk and cheese, peanut butter and canned pork...took your jobs and shipped them overseas...Then told you it will "trickled" to you. ..... Black poverty, Unemployment, Loss of Assets and wealth Didn't JUST start......The Black community has been suffering for YEARS. You want him to change it in 3.....with the most RACIST Congress in History. Yea, right! Don't speak for me and you need to get to the voting booth and if the REPUBLICANS Have made it impossible for you to Vote....YOU need to CAll the PO POLS. Don't forget to wear a recorder, cause they're gonna deny your rights to vote. WEST, SMILEY don't Speak for me because You are Angry that the Prez didn't "personally" cuddle you. I bet they're voting for him.....Don't get it TWISTED Corporate Controlled Media

September 29, 2011 at 1:14 pm |
  54. Liz Carter in Georgia

Joe! Why did all of you idiot whites vote for everyone of the other 43? Was it because they were white? We voted for them because we didn't have a choice up until now...as we tried to discern the best one for all of America, including us, of the last two men standing! We've been doing that since 1965! BTW, we 'idiot blacks' weren't the only ones who voted for BARACK H OBAMA, OK?...Intelligent whites and other races voted for him also. I know you don't fall into any of those categories! LOL! You're pathetic!

October 2, 2011 at 4:59 pm |
  55. Dee

Mary and Liz in Georgia you are always right on the money I concur that the President is the President for all people this is the way it should be he is no fool

Jay from NC will never learn he is a bigot he always have racist comments I know his kind because i am from the south and he has that generational ingrained mentality of prejudice and so are some of the others.

President Obama will be back in the White House because he is the only one that is trying to look out for the middle class and the young people. Their future is in his hands the Republicans could care less. No Candidate is talking about this segment of society because they are not technology smart like this President.

October 8, 2011 at 9:07 pm |
  56. Dee

Joe you are clueless you need to read up on your history if he was a Muslim so what? You can't take it that he is an intelligent human who won the election and is your President and their is nothing that you alone can do about it so wait until the next election and if you are not satisfied after he is elected again then leave the country.

I guarantee you will miss the good old USA and the President

October 8, 2011 at 9:13 pm |