White House Turns Purple for #SpiritDay
An example from the White House Facebook page of the administration's efforts to celebrate Oct. 20 as Spirit Day.
October 20th, 2011

White House Turns Purple for #SpiritDay

In a colorful show of support for those who speak out against anti-gay bullying, the White House changed elements of its websites to a bright purple today in celebration of the second-annual Spirit Day.

Designed to be a mass expression of solidarity for the nation’s gay, lesbian, bisexual, and transgender communities, Spirit Day was created by a teenager named Brittany McMillan in 2010. It has again gone viral in 2011, a likely sign of Americans reacting to heartbreaking headlines about anti-gay bullying allegedly leading to suicides.

Today, White House staff tweeted about Spirit Day. They also changed the background of the iconic White House logo to purple on Facebook and posted an entry on the blog at WhiteHouse.gov to mark the occasion. In addition, social networking websites were peppered with purple-themed status updates, links, and profile pictures. Advocacy groups incorporated the color purple into fonts and page design, and also linked to the WhiteHouse.gov entry.

The White House blog entry also included postings of Administration YouTube videos produced last year as the emotional “It Gets Better” project gained steam all across the country.  It was widely seen as a civil rights victory when President Obama, Secretary Hillary Clinton, and other high-ranking officials posted talks encouraging gay youth to stay confident even in the face of bullying.

The White House says millions participated in Spirit Day last year.  This year, celebrities like Ricky Martin also took part.

Topics: White House

1. Jay in NC

Mr.President, bullying comes in all colors not just purple. Sometimes it is in the shade of black, as in the Black Panthers.

October 20, 2011 at 9:32 pm |
    • 1FreeWorld

I just heard that the
      Mayor of Washington DC
      is allowing Illegal Imigrants to come and live in Washington, DC,
      as it is now a Sanctuary City for illegals!!!!

Probably will not sit well with those that are unemployed in Washington, DC.

Nope, probably won't sit well at all!

Obama also let the Poor Folks' Scholarship Program Lapse also...

So now nobody gets to get out of the public school system!

Go Figure!

October 20, 2011 at 11:13 pm |
    • Trace

Oh yeah..."The Jay Show" of animated images is in full effect (The Mindless Wonder KNOWS HOW to cut a paste images).

Jay, most of us that have lived in america haven't really seen gangs of black men terrorizing americans. Most of us remember when groups like the KKK or the Arian White Brother hood actually hung black people under trees.

So in your fantasy world, its now a bunch of black guys running around terrorizing americans and all of this is being orchestrated by Obama?????

You have to be the most reality free, person ever...Only the intellectually enept could possibly understand your drivel. Keep cutting and pasting your way to fantasy land. Hey...cut and paste some pictures of Black NFL Players with their eye black on, and uniforms to really scare people that Obama is releasing these very bad people on society (coming to a television somewhere near all of us)

U R ....PITIFUL!

October 21, 2011 at 9:56 am |
      • midwestrail

Well said, Trace. The delusional world of the Obamaphobes never ceases to amaze me. One can only wonder what color the sky is in Jay's nether-world.

October 21, 2011 at 10:06 am |
  2. 1FreeWorld

I was just watching Clinton,,,
    WOW!
    She is over 60 Years Old... I am sure!

DON'T TRUST ANYONE OVER 60!!!!
    (Used to be Don’t Trust anyone over 30 years old (30 years ago) LOOK IT UP!!!!)

They tell Gays to Kill Their Parents!
    I am hoping that the little Clinton will not pay attention to these nuts!
    (even for Ronald Regan's, John McCain's, and Dick Chaney’s SAKE)
    We do not want to waste the
    EXPENSIVE,
    Private Schooling,
    that the Little Clinton had,
    AND THE LITTLE OBAMA's HAVE,,,,
    while the Blacks/Afro-Americans/Poor Folks,,,,
    in Washington, DC
    were having to Fight to live! (I used to live close by.)

SPEAKING OF NUTS,,,
    Hillary has been gone a long time, outside of the USA!

I am wondering if the Devil in the Blue Dress has any of
    Slick-Willie's, Nut-Sack,
    (Wait, that is Carter's Business)
    such that Hillary might have an Unknown Step-Daughter

Singing (Devil in the Blue Dress, Blue Dress, Blue Dress,,,,)

Hillary needs to SLEEP on her other side,,,
    Look at her,,,
    BIG WRINKLE on her Right Side, by her mouth!!!

I swear,,,
    Where is her Big Hollywood’s,
    BOTOX injections???

I am just trying to figure if Slick-Willie is on her Left or on her Right...
    Just trying to figure Willie’s Preferences!

Slick-Willie just came out on her RIGHT,,,
    Political RIGHT,,,,

Indicating that the USA needs NO NEW TAXES!

ummm,,, SLAMMING OBAMA,,,
    Just wondering if ATTACK WAAAAATCH ,,,
    has a recording of Slick-Willie’s SLAM on O Bum ER!?!?!?!?

Yes, a SMACK DOWN!
    Even more than the WWE could do in Connecticut!

Smack Down, yes,,,
    SMACK Down, yes,,,
    SMACK DOWN,,, yes,,,
    SMACK DOWN,,, Yes, Yes, Yes,,,,

Who is the 1st Lady of WWE?

I Challenge Muchelle to a Smack Down (conversation only) with the WWE Mad'am!

I am hoping that Hillary will get Botox,,, just like Pelosi, so we can wink at those sexy ladies,,, and
    get behind those sexy women in Burksas!

October 20, 2011 at 11:00 pm |
    • 1FreeWorld

Wow. President Obama wants the American people to believe he and his top officials were unaware that low level agents were implementing a program to curb the flow of guns from the United States to Mexico. The same officials, Attorney General Eric Holder and Secretary of State Hillary Clinton, who visited Mexico in March and April of 2009 "to make sure" weapons bought in the United States were not crossing the border.

Has the President forgotten he and Secretary Clinton were in the news six months before the start of Fast and Furious contending that 90% of the guns crossing into Mexico were coming from the U.S., a figure later proved to be false? How could Clinton and Obama have been so aghast at the now-debunked number of American guns related to crimes in Mexico and yet remain clueless about the operation going on right under their noses?

If the "consistently" "overarching goal" Obama referred to in the Tapper interview was to stop the trafficking of guns from U.S. to Mexico then how could he, AG Holder, Secretaries Clinton and Napolitano be so out of the loop they did not hear about Fast and Furious?

Incredibly, around the same time Operation Fast and Furious commenced, Secretary of State Hillary Clinton acted to launch talks on a U.N. treaty to regulate the sales of small arms. In October 2009, the U.S. State Department released a statement overturning the Bush administration's previous stance against such a treaty.

Clinton supported the talks stating,"Consensus is needed to ensure the widest possible support for the Treaty and to avoid loopholes in the Treaty that can be exploited by those wishing to export arms irresponsibly."

Later Former United Nation's ambassador John Bolton weighed in on the Small Arms Treaty warning American gun owners the UN "is trying to act as though this is really just a treaty about international arms trade between nation states, but there's no doubt that the real agenda here is domestic firearms control."

The convergence of so many high-level actions at the same time of Fast and Furious cries out for an in-depth investigation by Democrats and Republicans. Mikulski's call for action on the Senate floor proves this well-planned operation isn't a witch hunt by conservatives, but an egregious series of events which have led to the horrific deaths of innocent people.

Read more M. Catharine Evans at Potter Williams Report

October 21, 2011 at 7:19 pm |
  3. jason

Once again he stands with the Sodomites, Black Panthers, union thugs, his VP threatens reporters, he lies and threatens his opponents, his public affairs office censors news networks story releases, he stands with the marxists, fascists, and communists anarchist protestors. His office and cabinet is devoid of decency and is the office of an antichrist. This nation is cursed so long as he is in office. Impeach him now.

October 20, 2011 at 11:49 pm |
    • Trace

Jason,

They have medications for your type of mental condition. I would suspect being completely delusional would be personally disturbing and frustrating. However, for those of us reading your posts, well we just believe you're an idiot – I'm just saying

October 22, 2011 at 11:45 am |
  4. Liz Carter in Georgia

....well we sure do know bullying ALWAYS has come in WHITE, as in the white sheets and hoods worn by the Ku Klux Klan....and still does.

October 21, 2011 at 6:04 am |
    • Jay in NC

"ALWAYS has come in WHITE" not sometimes, but always? What a racist statement. Liz is always ready to hate white people even when they are the victims.

October 21, 2011 at 7:54 am |
      • Trace

Liz, please don't try to rationalize with Jay.

It really is hard to conceive this person actually using thought. Nothing Jay posts is anything close to reality or things that the rest of us have ever seen.

How many white neighborhoods have been terrorized by the Black Panthers? I'm gonna venture a guess and say ZERO. How many black people have been terrorized by the KKK prior to 1965? I'm gonna say thousands.

Now more importantly, has America progressed and this is no longer allowed – Absolutely, black people or African American people are no longer openly terrorized by racist groups.

But in the SILLY, STUPID, CYNICAL, ILLOGICAL WORLD OF JAY.....the Black Panthers are now Bullying the citizenry.

Jay, let's just say you are an ass!

October 21, 2011 at 10:06 am |
      • John

Jay, you know they belong to the true party of hate. They also allign themselves with the flea party. That says it all.
        So, the 78% of black people in prison today, albeit for black on black crime, are all innocent? What the hell is wrong with you people.

October 21, 2011 at 11:29 am |
      • Howard

I GUESS THAT'S WHY obama's WHITE GRANDMOTHER CROSSED THE STREET WHEN A BLACK MAN APPROACHED HER. Ever heard of the Bloods and the Crypts ? ... even black people are afraid to walk through
        Watts, or Harlem at night. GET REAL !!!

October 21, 2011 at 1:20 pm |
    • Howard

LIZ ... Thank you for once again revealing who the real racist is ... it's YOU !!!

October 21, 2011 at 1:22 pm |
      • Trace

and Howard,

You consistently prove ..... U R The Idiot amongst us. Go lay down and give it a rest.

October 22, 2011 at 11:48 am |
    • 1FreeWorld

Hey Lizzy!

Nice to see you again!

Are you a Socialist/Marxist/Communist/Maoist/Statist/Big Government person?

A simple question for you My Dear!
      ALL YOU HAVE TO DO IS ANSWER.

Do you need a definition of each of the answers?
      GO to the Liberal Word Meister!

These answers are to be taken with a grain of salt....

Not Definitions of the Answers following,,,,
      New Paragraph:

Do you own anything?
      Do you want to keep any of what you own?
      If you want to continue OWNING anything,,,
      better switch to Capitalism....

Now let's see what you say....

Last question (for today),,,,

Do you own:
      a car,
      a home,
      a business,
      any tools,
      any skills,
      any licenses,
      any office tools
      (such as
      computers, printers, paper, phones, faxes, gps,
      heaters, fans, internet connections, leases)
      any library cards, books,
      any TOP-Secret Recipies,
      any reason for living,
      any college degrees,
      any (children if you are in an agricultural business),
      any farm animals, garden plants (both flowers and vegetables),
      any child-care time given by you to your family, friends, or customers?

If so, you have CAPITAL!

Shall we get rid of all that and
      allow you to be under the supervision of
      BIG BROTHER==== GOVERNMENT?

October 21, 2011 at 7:45 pm |
  5. cmxsmitty

Thats nice – now can we have the freedom to legally marry and be recognized by the federal government?

October 21, 2011 at 12:57 pm |
  6. Liz Carter in Georgia

My comment was aimed at the first race-based or at the least 'color-based' comment on this thread...which of course Jay spewed! Thanks Trace for your comment; and above all, being civilly intelligent enough to get my point. Howard, I won't even dignify your stupid, unsubstantiated comment to me beyond this sentence! 1FreeWorld; No I am neither of those idioms you listed! I'm an African AMERICAN woman, 63 years of age; born, raised, worked, retired and still live in the South OK? I KNOW AND HAVE SEEN THINGS!

October 21, 2011 at 8:21 pm |
    • 1FreeWorld

Lizzy!

Quit it!

You are intentionally making me read all the posts!

You are not a member of the
      USA FREEDOM-Loving Folks, or the
      American-American, (and not Afro-American-ONLY), or the
      Abort Children-type Liberalists (such that millions of Blacks are ABORTED because they believe that Young Female Children will make mistakes with older men (obama-like-speech) such that they need to abort the Young Children's Mistakenly-Concieved Child Abusive FAATHER's Rape,
      Support GAY Men and Women TEACHING GLAAD (Gay, Lesbien, Trans-Gendered, etc) TO YOUR GRAND-CHILDREN,
      Support all the other LIBERAL, ANTI-AMERICAN HATERS?

You really need to figure out WHO YOU ARE!

How do you look in a Burka?

I am looking forward to the day when Pelosi is in a Burka,,,
      then I will not have to listen to her!
      Women in the (other world,,,, cannot drive, cannot back-talk, cannot protest 3-other wives, etc)

Would you like 3 other wives to share with your husband?

Please do not hide your answers,,,,
      I will not be able to share with you the TRUTH if I cannot find your responses, My Dear!

October 21, 2011 at 8:54 pm |
  7. Liz Carter in Georgia

I am also a Christian journeyman...although sometimes you all just about cause make me lose my religion. I believe that I'm my brothers' keeper. I believe that to whom much is given, much is required. No! I don't own all of the items you listed..therfore much more shouldn't be expected of me! I give what I can from my 'widows mite' of an income. I'm paying taxes..county, state and federal! So what else do you who own everything want? What in the world do you all expect from us?

October 21, 2011 at 8:32 pm |
  8. 1FreeWorld

LIZZY,,,,
    You don't own any of the them?
    Do you own a Retirement from the Government?
    If the Government FAILS,,,
    What will the GOVERNMENT THEN DO FOR YOU?

The Government is about to Fail,,,,
    I am hoping that you are saving up Food,,,

Go to Wikipedia:

Do you own your home?
    If so,,,try to keep it,,,
    If you rent,,, see if you can rent one of your rooms out!

Are you in the Black Liberation Church?
    If so, they are Communists!

Look it up!

You are saying Communistic Phrases,,,
    to whom much is given, much is required

Look it up!

October 21, 2011 at 9:08 pm |
    • Trace

@1 Free Idiot

Who died and assigned you responsiblity of defining Liz's social class? Where did you confer your degree of "Putz-Dumb"?....I'd bet the University of Intelligence Impaired or UII = You TWO

October 22, 2011 at 11:53 am |
  9. Liz Carter in Georgia

@1FreeWorld, you don't know me; but I've only tried and tried to describe to you and everyone else who's at all interested on this blog who I was, who I am and who I've become. If you want to play that down, that's your perogative dude! BTW, was Jesus a communist? He's the one who said admonished us that 'to whom much is given, much is required'! NOT A COMMUNISTIC RUSSIAN DICTATOR! I believe in the message given to me by HIM, through the HOLY BIBLE. So I ve got nothing to say to you any further on this!

October 25, 2011 at 1:25 am |
  10. Liz Carter in Georgia

THANKS Trace...I trully appreciate your help! We just celebrated our MOTHERS, departure or transition to the NEW spiritual world! She was honored and praised so well today at her funeral, untill I can't even describe the feeling I recieved from the 'reflectors' who spoke about her and the impact on them and their lives yesterday; one even referred to her as a 'CLASSIC'! My mother was a 'CLASSIC'. Yes, she will be sorely missed by ALL WHO REALLY KNEW HER! Thankyou my dear mother for inspiring my wisdom!

October 25, 2011 at 1:55 am |