Kids brave soggy weather for White House tricks and treats
President Obama, first lady Michelle Obama and her mother, Marian Robinson, handed out treats to Washington-area kids Saturday (AFP/Getty Photo)
October 29th, 2011

Kids brave soggy weather for White House tricks and treats

WASHINGTON (CNN) - Some children in Washington braved cold and soggy weather Saturday for an early Halloween treat - a brief visit to the White House.

President Obama, first lady Michelle Obama and the first lady's mother, Marian Robinson, emerged from the North Portico of the White House Saturday afternoon to hand out goodie bags to the children.

"Let's give out some candy," President Obama said as he walked outside. "I know it's cold here, you guys doing alright? It's not ideal out here."

Many of the kids wore costumes hidden beneath their wet winter coats. Spotted: several princesses, witches, Batman, a police officer, Harry Potter and at least one penguin. A boy dressed as a headless man prompted a reaction from the president. "Look at this guy! It's a headless man - terrible."

The president and first lady did not wear costumes, although Robinson sported a pair of bunny ears.

According to the White House, the kids came from elementary schools in Washington, Maryland and Virginia, from the Boys and Girls Club of America, and from military families.

The goodie bags contained a box of M&Ms imprinted with the presidential seal, a butter cookie shaped like the White House and a mix of dried fruit.

« Previous entry
  1. bigeasy in nola

"Look at this guy! It's a headless man – terrible". This kid was obviously dressed up as any of the Republican presidential candidates!!!!

October 30, 2011 at 12:34 am |
    • Howard

HASN'T obama played enough nasty tricks on the American people ... while deceptively holding out empty treats ???

October 31, 2011 at 1:01 pm |
    • A.W.Messenger

LOOK! Obama decided to wear his President of the United States costume to this event! Man that is SCARY!!!

October 31, 2011 at 9:28 pm |
  2. Dustin

He's spreading all the candy – oh my god, he's a socialist! Everybody run!!

October 30, 2011 at 12:55 am |
    • bill

Hey thats my candy and he's taking it to give to someone else.....I'm gonna go protest somewhere....

October 30, 2011 at 8:25 am |
      • jean2009

The candy was very likely provided by a company such as Mars Candy...not the taxpayers. Halloween Trick or Treat is an annual tradition at the White House just like the Easter egg roll.

October 30, 2011 at 3:36 pm |
      • C-Lo

Evil corporations providing free candy for kid's happiness...you want to rethink that Jean?

October 31, 2011 at 11:42 am |
      • jean2009

@C-Lo no I don't need a redo.... as with all things children should have fun.

October 31, 2011 at 12:58 pm |
      • C-Lo

You missed my point, Jean...it wasn't about you being anti kids...I don't think you really believe an "evil" corporation like Mars would give out free stuff for kids.

BTW, article over the weekend about the huge donations made by another "evil" corporation, Target, in donations to a school library and provided additional take home books for kids at the school. Those horrible 1%'ers...

October 31, 2011 at 1:28 pm |
      • jean2009

@C-Lo You are sadly out of touch. I have worked with non-profit fund-raising programs I know full well how much companies will provide for free advertising. I've personally stuffed goody bags with items donated by companies, and seen the items they will contribute to a fund raiser auction.
        I think you are under the illusion that I am anti-corporation which couldn't be further from the truth. I unlike several on this comment board hope American companies are successful. I have stated as much many times when Jay makes his death wish for American comments. .I am just against the people in some companies who believe in greed before the welfare of others, greed before the welfare of their workers, greed before what is best for the environment, etc. .

October 31, 2011 at 5:44 pm |
      • C-Lo

Jean: My sincerest appologies. I have not seen any "pro corporation" posts from you. Whether I have overlooked them or they have been posted where I haven't participated. Your leftist rhetoric places you ground zero in the middle of the anti-capitalist camp, which is why I made that connection. So the true debate between you and me, after months of back and forth, is not over the success of companies, but what roll gov't has in that effort, and how to end corruption.

Framed that way, I can better address your points going forward. Thank you for the clarification.

November 1, 2011 at 9:37 am |
  3. Tyler

He is such a great man

October 30, 2011 at 1:21 am |
  4. Craig Kones

All the candy is in a red wraper! Clue people; the Campaigner in Chief and Eva Braun are really Marx and Engles

October 30, 2011 at 1:28 am |
  5. namelessbanana

Butter Cookies were Hitlers favorite.

October 30, 2011 at 2:09 am |
  6. JoeD

Thanks for being human and bringing a little joy, President Obama. There's so little of it, these days.

October 30, 2011 at 2:25 am |
  7. omegarising

RON PAUL 2012! THE ONLY INTELLIGENT CHOICE THERE IS TO MAKE!!

October 30, 2011 at 2:34 am |
    • Dan, TX

But how would Ron Paul be able to do anything with obstructionist republicans and democrats in congress? Ron Paul has not been bought, so he has no chance to win. You can see how they are against him, right? He wins the republican Iowa straw polls where you can see who is voting – but they they report a poll from the news media where he is at the bottom. It doesn't add up. The money is against Dr. Paul, there's no chance for him to win against it. So, I'm going to vote for someone else.

October 30, 2011 at 2:47 am |
      • bill

Oh maybe Ron Paul isn't going to win because the guy is a ticking time bomb and the majority of Americans realize this....Thank God!

October 30, 2011 at 8:26 am |
      • Cedar Rapids

Paul wins 2 polls in Iowa and the new reported......that he won 2 polls in Iowa. The link to it is still on the main page.

October 30, 2011 at 9:28 am |

No to Paul.

Obama-Biden 2012

October 30, 2011 at 11:36 am |
      • Alden

Yes to Paul

October 30, 2011 at 8:35 pm |
    • Getalife!!!!

It is Halloween....stop campaigning for a day!!!!!

October 30, 2011 at 3:00 am |
      • C-Lo

NOW you can post this comment.

October 31, 2011 at 11:55 am |
  8. Dan, TX

There they go wasting taxpayer money again. If kids want candy they should get a job, not learn how to get a handout from government.

October 30, 2011 at 2:42 am |
    • Jack Sparrow

We know not to come to your home for Halloween!

October 30, 2011 at 3:51 am |
    • Eggcrate

Now that's hilarious!

October 30, 2011 at 5:52 am |
    • Danny

No wonder you live in Texas

October 30, 2011 at 6:02 am |
      • bill

Actually I think in Texas halloween is a year long celebration...I mean seriously have you seen some of those people down there?

October 30, 2011 at 8:26 am |
    • petena

Wasting taxpayer money on CHILDREN? Typical Republican mentality. You poeple are the problem in this country.

October 30, 2011 at 7:44 am |
    • ryan

....says the baby boomer.

October 30, 2011 at 8:34 am |
    • Pamalmadingdon

Get over yourself. ALL Presidents do this, it is called FUN.

October 30, 2011 at 8:34 am |
    • jean2009

Libertarian...right? Kids are kids, however you show perfectly what I mean when I describe Libertarians and teaparty people as the current neo-Nazi movement. Question....Why are all Texans idiots?

October 30, 2011 at 11:42 am |
      • Steveo

Generally speaking your generalizations are generally poor! All Texans? You know ALL Texans? I'm betting you don't!

October 30, 2011 at 2:10 pm |
      • jean2009

Well Steveo...for the sake of argument I will clarify that: "Why are all Republican/Libertarian/TeapottyTexans who make it to the national political scene idiots?

October 30, 2011 at 3:24 pm |
      • Steveo

Jean2009,
        It is all about perspective. Looks like you believe ALL republicans/libertarian/tea "potty"/Texans who enter the the national political scene would all be idiots. I strongly disagree. As you know Jean, some would say all "community organizers" from Illinois who enter the national political scene would be "idiots" too! Again, all about perspective(one that I would also disagree with as well). I am just allergic to blanket statements! I realize we all have a right to our perspectives. At the same time they can be and should be challenged!

October 30, 2011 at 4:19 pm |
      • jean2009

@Steveo...Hilarious! I just listened to Romney's starting point credentials in missionary work they sound very much like what a community organizer would do.

For the sake of your obvious amnesia, might I point out that besides 3 years as a community organizer, Barack Obama was a law professor (University of Chicago School of Law) for 12 years, an Illinois State Senator for 8 years, a U.S. Senator for 4 years, a lawyer who worked for two separate law firms, an author of 5 books, worked with or chaired several non-profit foundations. He graduated from both Columbia University and Harvard Law School his majors while attending Columbia were Political Science and International Relations.

As the old saying goes "all politics are local"...so being able to work as a community organizer is learning and understanding how government works at the local scale...that would be very good hands on training in my opinion....and by no means is it an insult but rather a compliment.

October 31, 2011 at 11:27 am |
      • steveo

Jean2009 read CAREFULLY what I have said. I know the background, not amnesia! I said, SOMEwould say... I also said I disagree with that assessment! Why do you have such a hard time when I am talking about areas in which we have some agreement? I do find it interesting that you can proclaim 'ALL" of a group is.... It appears when I show you the same "ALL" from the GOP side, it suddenly becomes offensive! Slow down a little!

October 31, 2011 at 11:41 am |
      • C-Lo

And again Jean, everytime you make this false comparison, I will call it out...Libertarians are polar opposites of Nazi/Socialist big-gov't politics...and yes I realize Nationalism is opposite of Socialism when describing big gov't, but they are all measured on different scales.

October 31, 2011 at 12:31 pm |
      • jean2009

@Steveo I would suggest researching Ron Paul and Nazi party connections....where there is smoke...just saying. I would also suggest researching Koch brothers and Nazi history.

October 31, 2011 at 12:37 pm |
      • steveo

Any suggestions on researching George Soros?

October 31, 2011 at 12:40 pm |
      • Dean

Now we know you're a Texan.

October 31, 2011 at 1:16 pm |
      • jean2009

@C-Lo again I will state...if the only problem you have with the word Nazi is the fact that German's of the 1930's wanted good roads, efficient services, non-predatory banks, etc., in other words social change then you, not me, is the one who is blind to my use and definition of the word.

@Steveo Many of George Soros' Jewish relatives died in Hungary. Only fools would put stock in anything said by Beck or Coulter. I think his donations to worthwhile causes speaks to a very different man than either Beck or Coulter portray. Didn't 400 rabbis address this in the Wall Street Journal – Jan. 2011.
        And I would suggest GeorgeSoros.com.

October 31, 2011 at 1:40 pm |
      • C-Lo

Oh, ok Jean. Sorry I misinterpreted you. You are saying you agreed with Nazism.

October 31, 2011 at 1:49 pm |
      • C-Lo

Or, after reading back through the thread, since you compare Libertarians to the neo-Nazi movement and then describe Nazis as "Nazi is the fact that German's of the 1930's wanted good roads, efficient services, non-predatory banks, etc., in other words social change,"

Then by extention Libertarians want these things too, and you are against them. Which circular argument would you like to try to defed?

As for me, I'lll stick with the fact that Nazism and Socialism are still always big gov't and they seem to always lead to abuses of power that would not exist under a small gov't society, i.e. Libertarianism, or old school Republicanism.

October 31, 2011 at 1:58 pm |
      • steveo

I am not addessing his reatives as sad as that story is. I am addressing the funding of liberal causes just as you have addressed the funding of conservative causes!

October 31, 2011 at 2:06 pm |
      • jean2009

@C-Lo Unfortunately you overlook the fact that in 1930's Germany there was no big government the government had been decimated by WWI it was very weak. In 1930 Germany unemployment was at 3 Million. They were saddled with the debt of reparations for the war, plus the cost of the land they had to concede after the war, and the occupation of the Rhineland for 15 years. They owed $31.4 billion in reparation and it was figured it would take them to 1988 to pay that amount off. (In today's world that would be the equivalent of owing $442 Billion).

I see the parallel and see the vast flaws in the Libertarian/TeaParty movement. That is why I point out the bad side of the word Nazi since it is very evident in current attitudes of Libertarian/TeaParty members, I see on this comment board every day....toward the less fortunate of society.

Plan and simple Libertarianism isn't the answer.

October 31, 2011 at 2:41 pm |
      • jean2009

@C-Lo if agreeing with good roads, non-predatory banks,a functioning system of government that works for the disadvantaged as well as it works for the well connect if desiring that is bad ...then shoot me.

That is not where I have problems with the Germans Nazis of the 1930's. I do have serious problems with their wanting to cut their costs and losses by rounding up everyone who was different then well-educated, well to do white Aryans, and throwing them in slave labor concentration camps and gassing them....with that I have a problem. That is exactly where the problem I see is with the attitude of the Libertarian/TeaParty movement.

October 31, 2011 at 6:04 pm |
      • C-Lo

@ Jean–then you and I have vastly different views of Nazi Germany and the Tea Party. My take on the Holocost was not rounding up poor, less educated people for the slave labor camps, it was "punishing" the percieved successful group of finance and business owning Jews, because they were "the cause" of the gap between the "master race" and success. The Jews in post WW I Germany were the prime benefactors and Hitler accused them, much like the OWS does now, of concentrating the wealth and financially ruining all others. This is only accomplished by Gov't rule (i.e. big gov't)

In contrast, the message of the Tea Party I associate with is smaller gov't, with less corruptablitiy/favoritism. As an example, a small business owner wrote in to the local paper outlining several big corp moves to the Denver area. Citing tax and other financial incentives, these companies were receiving between $10K and $100K per job created (I didn't verify the numbers, but it's beside the point). His startup small business which he claimed would employ 18 people full time and year-round, recieved the incentive of paying for his water tap over 5 years instead of all up front. Without big gov't policies to tax (then incent companies through tax breaks) or "corruptability" for the incentives, this small business owner would have the same playing field as the big corps. But he was "priced" out of the market by beaurocrats.

Reduce the size and scope of gov't, and you reduce the size and scope of corruption/fleecing.

November 1, 2011 at 10:01 am |
    • Cedar Rapids

sarcasm people, it was sarcasm.

October 30, 2011 at 11:51 am |
    • Dean

Obama's actually taking candy from the kids of taxpayers and giving it to the kids of those who don't work. An early lesson in wealth redistribution. Happy Halloween!

October 31, 2011 at 1:21 pm |
  9. Prometheus

Here we go... Why are they handing out candy for HALLOWEEN on 30-October? Is the WH going to be empty on 31-October?

Here's a thought....in the same vein, How about I send my tax return in a day late and we'll just forget about it.

In fact....I'm all for celebrating New years 1-day early too.... -or 1-day late...just be consistent.

October 30, 2011 at 4:48 am |
    • jean2009

@ Prometheus Are you out of touch with reality? The date for the Halloween celebration was probably set by the D.C mayors office, since most cities and towns select a date when there will be less traffic so that children (in costume) will be able to safely cross streets and go door to door. I can see Sunday evening being less active than say Saturday or Monday evening.

I imagine a non-profit organization like the Friends of the White House Foundation had a hand in seeing treats, decorations, etc. were in place for the event much the same as they do in decorating and planning events for Easter, Christmas, and Fourth of July.

October 31, 2011 at 12:09 pm |
  10. Grog Says

Sarah Palin wont be happy.
    Michelle & Barack forcing candy on innocent children.
    Quick, we must take back the country.

October 30, 2011 at 5:00 am |
  11. Steve

It was cold outside. Is Obama too far above them to invite them into the "people's house"? What a loser!

October 30, 2011 at 6:45 am |
  12. Stephen, WI

I may not be one of his biggest political supporters, but I am far from a right wing nut job. I wanted to put some support behind this act of bringing happiness to the local kids and doing the right thing. Bravo

October 30, 2011 at 7:19 am |
    • steveo

From one Steve to another, well said and i fully agree with you! Shouldn't be this hard to appreciate this kind act!

October 31, 2011 at 9:52 am |
  13. MDDD

We love Halloween traditions. Thank you Mr. President.

October 30, 2011 at 7:28 am |
  14. b

Voted the best costume was a guy dressed as the POTUS handing out candy.

October 30, 2011 at 7:37 am |
    • Dean

Biden is not very creative...once again dressing as the brainless man.

October 31, 2011 at 1:18 pm |
      • jean2009

Don't think he was present.

October 31, 2011 at 1:43 pm |
  15. RONALD RAY GUN

I'M DOWN WITH IT!

October 30, 2011 at 9:05 am |
  16. Ron

I'm surprised Michelle allowed candy to be handed out. I would have expected a bag of carrot sticks or something equally wonderful.

October 30, 2011 at 9:18 am |
  17. Fact

Well at least Obama finally made himself productive in something.

October 31, 2011 at 7:57 am |