2012 in the air as Obama heads to New Hampshire
November 22nd, 2011

2012 in the air as Obama heads to New Hampshire

(CNN) – When presidential candidates head to New Hampshire the November before an election year, it’s a pretty safe bet the upcoming campaign is on their minds.

But that’s not the case with President Obama, who travels to Manchester later today, White House spokesman Jay Carney insists. In fact, Carney maintained the quick trip north has nothing to do with 2012 at all. Rather, the visit is merely a continuation of the series of stops the president has made across the country since September to sell his jobs bill.

“He travels all over the country, to different parts of the country, to speak about his ideas for getting this economy growing again,” Carney told reporters Monday.

Still, the symbolism could not be clearer. On a day when the Republican presidential field heads to Obama’s neck of the woods for a CNN-sponsored debate in Washington, the president is making a conspicuous appearance on the same turf Republican hopefuls have tracked across for months.

Of course, New Hampshire’s principal importance in the presidential cycle is marked by its first-in-the-nation primary – the always-unpredictable event that knocked then-candidate Obama off stride four years ago with a surprise loss to Hillary Clinton. To be sure, this year’s primary lacks suspense on the Democratic side.

“I can predict with all confidence that the President will win the New Hampshire primary in the Democratic Party,” Carney jabbed.

Still, there’s reason for the president to worry about the Granite State – a place where voters pay close attention to presidential politics and often foreshadow broader national trends. There, Obama’s approval rating stands at 40 percent – below the national average – and, according to a recent Bloomberg poll, he loses by 10 points in a head-to-head matchup to Mitt Romney.

This is Obama’s first visit to New Hampshire in 8 months and he’s only been to the state twice as president. The state perennially flip-flops between supporting Republicans and Democrats in general elections: Obama won it by 9 points in 2008 while Sen. John Kerry won it by 1 point four years earlier. Meanwhile former President George W. Bush narrowly carried the state over over Gore in 2000.

Romney, the former Massachusetts governor and a frontrunner in the Republican race, just so happened to release his first television ad the day Obama is paying a visit to New Hampshire.

“When then-candidate Barack Obama went to New Hampshire in 2008, he promised to turn around the economy. Three years later, it is clear that he has failed,” Romney’s campaign said.

Translation: Despite what the White House says, Obama will have a hard time escaping 2012 politics today.

Topics: President Obama

« Previous entry
  1. eciam

Romney, the GOP also promise jobs, jobs, jobs. Where are they, it's not so easy is it.
    Also the good people of New Hampshire are not (2) year olds.

November 22, 2011 at 11:01 am |
    • Arrerr

How about asking obama, reid, pelosi where the jobs are...guess all that time spent on health care was more important than jobs...and ask dirty harry about all the bills that he's sitting on...

November 22, 2011 at 1:20 pm |
    • FIELD1stSGT

Are you an idiot or just plain dumb? What does the GOP have to do with the unemployment right now? i believe you need to take a look at who's in charge and promises to veto anything the GOP proposes. Dumbo does not have a clue and the GOP only controls the House. Boy though DUH! I's so smart I got to blame anyone except my brain dead hero.

November 22, 2011 at 3:16 pm |
      • sara

It seems that most of the trolls don't know how bills become law and where Bills orginate ..... The GOP has EVERYTHING to do with JOBS. Haven't presented a Job bill to creat jobs in the Congress. Cut Public JOBS as to shore up UNemployment and the Bleeding of 800,000 jobs a month when THEY left OFFICE in 2009. Their Platform in 2010 was JOBS.

November 23, 2011 at 8:01 am |

Sara,

I agree the GOP has much to do with any Jobs bill (or any other bill) that heads to the President's desk. So does the DEMS. The GOP did push 15 bills to the Senate that have not been accorded an up or down vote. As I have said before they all relate to the oil and drilling industries. The DEMS and environmentalist will give these bills the light of day! In short, the GOP are sending up bills and the DEMS are too afraid to let them hit the floor for any votes! The DEMS are just as culpable as the GOP!

November 23, 2011 at 9:22 am |
  2. lyn

The party of NO where are the JOBS, we are all fedup with you Republicans, every dan thing comes out your mouths is NO NO NO.

November 22, 2011 at 11:12 am |
    • Laughs at lyn

Ask the dems that...how many bills is dirty harry sitting on in the senate...or where was jobs jobs jobs the last three years when dems controlled congress and the mcmansion

November 22, 2011 at 1:22 pm |
    • Howard

You incredibly stupid dumbocrat trolls are either clueless, or part of the corrupt obama political machine ... either way, the result is that you are flushing our country down the crapper. You fools are as big of a threat to America as any foreign enemy has ever been. It's past time for REAL Americans to fight back, starting with the removal of the TRAITOR, barack obama !!!

November 22, 2011 at 1:32 pm |
      • FIELD1stSGT

AMEN comrade! Where do i sign up. It's time to go True Americans let's take our country back from the imbeciles.

November 22, 2011 at 3:19 pm |
    • me

Howard, you sound like a real intelligent ignoramus. Can you walk and chew gum at the same time?

November 22, 2011 at 2:50 pm |

Lyn,

Good question where are the jobs? I understand your anger at the GOP. I do have a question for you. Are you just as angry at the DEMs? No bill gets to the President's desk unless it passed the Senate (Dem controlled). I'm not saying the GOP is guiltless what I am saying is the DEMs are just as guilty! If no jobs bill made it to the President's desk, the Senate did not pass one.

November 22, 2011 at 3:21 pm |
      • Trace

steveo,

I understand the normal stupid posts we see here...but you should know better. Unless you are a closet Tea Bagger trying to push yourself as a moderate again.

steveo, you ever heard of filibuster proof? Do you know how many votes it NOW takes to get a jobs bill passed through the Senate, though Dems have the majority? (hint: its a number higher than the number of Dems in the Senate right now.... its >59 Duh????) Do you realize the GOP has used a record number of filibusters since Obama took office?

If you can answer any one of these questions, you can answer your own rather silly question. I didn't take you for uninformed or even un-intelligent like the usual trolls here, but you are in danger of getting a low IQ card here fella

November 23, 2011 at 9:22 am |

-------–
        @Trace,
        Lyn asked about the GOP and jobs and I am fully aware how bills become law. The Senate has passed little by way of job bills Why? The GOP fillibusters DEM bills and Harry Reid refuses to allow GOP bill to the floor for an up or down vote!

You are aware the that fillbusters have been used by BOTH parties, right? Congress dares not to change the system because they fear the opposition party will have control!

So in conclusion, please name any significant jobs bills that has passed the Senate (regardless of fillibusters and denying bills from getting an up or down vote). You can't because as I said early THE SENATE HAS NOT PASSED ANY!

Lastly,

Don't waste you time or energy thinking I am concerned about you calling my questions silly or your willingness to "give me a low IQ". I 'm not! I am here to provoke though and remind you Congress is disfunctional and that applies to BOTH GOP and the DEMS. As a result we all pay a price for that! I see things a bit differently than you because I am not emotionally tied to any party!

November 23, 2011 at 9:43 am |
  3. Derrick

Republicans tricked voters in 2010....what happened to jobs, jobs, jobs?? How many jobs bills have they presented that excluded protecting the rich? Sad part is many of these same people who are not millionaires fall for the BS of job creators. How many jobs did they create for the past 10 years under the Bush tax cuts? Wake up people and put the partisan ideology aside and use your brain. Obama is the only choice and the best choice. Republicans have deliberately stalled any progress on jobs just to undermine the president of a victory. Shameful that his demise is more important than the american people in the eyes of the republican party

November 22, 2011 at 11:25 am |
    • avagreen

obviously, you are living in a bubble of Obama worship if you think he has a chance in hades (short of voter fraud for which he's famous) is going to win, or that a plan to create jobs HAS NOT been put out. Ever listen to Rick Perry?

didn't think so.

November 22, 2011 at 11:38 am |
      • MTATL67

Sorry but still does not answer the question. Can you name the legislation that Congressional Republicans have passed to promote job growth? Can you ame one single accomplishment of the Republicans in this Congressional term that has helped anybody?

November 22, 2011 at 1:25 pm |

@MTATL67,

I was waiting for someone to anwser your question. ABCNEWS actually ran an article on 3 Nov about 15 GOP jobs bills that passed the House and have stalled in the Senate. Now to be fair I think everyone of them is oil or drilling related. Probably why these 15 are stuck in the Senate with no up or down votes.

November 22, 2011 at 2:09 pm |
      • me

When is this clown car going to run out of gas. One thing for certain, none of them are smart enough to know what to do, so they will sit there and starve rather than start walking, but that's okay because then they can blame president Obama for it.

November 22, 2011 at 2:56 pm |
    • poor derric

LOL the best and only choice...hahahaha...hey you got some brown stuff on your nose should wipe that off

November 22, 2011 at 1:24 pm |
    • FIELD1stSGT

You fool if it wasn't for the rich this country would fold up and fade away. What do you contribute except your hand out for food stamps, welfare and a drag on our health care. I am so sick of this tax the rich. Blame the GOP for no jobs when they can't get anything off the ground or through the Senate. What will upping the taxes on the rich do? I am certainly not rich. i am one of the poor who gets dang near everything back I pay in from the IRS. Some of you even get back more than you made in salary. But yet, the answer because Obama the traitor says tax the rich, your dumb butts think this is the thing to do. You're imbeciles. No wonder this country is in the shape it's in. We've elected a moron who is sucking the blood out of America and you're too dumb to see it.

November 22, 2011 at 3:26 pm |
  4. hangar13

Please read the hatefest following the Ticker item about Rick Perry expressing his opposition to gay marriage. Now look for similar comments about President Obama for expressing the exact same view during the 2008 campaign. What, you mean it's okay for Obama to opose gay marriage but not okay for Rick Perry? It can only be racism, there's no other explanation. I feel sorry for liberals, they are so closed-minded.

November 22, 2011 at 11:52 am |
  5. Joan

Honesty is a very important characteristic for a President and Romney has been running an ad in NH that is a lie. The ad shows Pres. Obama saying "If we talk about the economy, we will lose" trying to make it seem that it was the President's quote. Well actually when the Pres. said that it was in the 2008 campaign and he was quoting JOHN McCAIN who actually said it. This midleading, distortion of the truth is beneath an honourable candidate. Also, there was an ad saying that the Pres. said the American people were lazy. He did not. He said that for years the business community has been lazy about attracting new business to the US which actually was true. When the Republicans finally pick their candidate, the Democrats are going to have lots of things to call them on and in this case it is lack of integrity and honesty.

November 22, 2011 at 12:15 pm |
  6. demogoat

The house GOP job bills are only a political stunt. The legislation is nothing more than more partisan politics. These bills contain only what the house GOP considered. Nothing but my way or no way.

November 22, 2011 at 12:21 pm |
    • steveo

Yeah! It's a good thing the Dems don't play that way. Oh wait, they do! Recall the super committee was made up of members of BOTH party! Since the super committee failed...BOTH parties failed!

November 22, 2011 at 12:33 pm |
      • MTATL67

This committee was formed because of Republican "No to Everything" policy and it failed for the same reason. The GOP claims they tried everything..how about compromise. The made pledges to special interest groups breaking their pledge when they took their offices.

November 22, 2011 at 12:58 pm |

MTATL67,

So are you saying the DEMS didn't fail here? Are you saying they were the ONLY to bargain in good faith? They were the ONLY ones willing to compomise? I hope that is NOT what your saying! The Committee failed due to BOTH parties putting their politics over the interest of the rest of us! BOTH parties! As long BOTH groups turn a blind eye to that, NOTHING changes!

November 22, 2011 at 1:05 pm |
      • MTATL67

I'm not saying the Democrats have a hand in this. Trust you me..I say the same thing when the DNC is in the wrong. The GOP followed the "NO to Everything" policy of Sen. McConnell to the point of become obstructionist to any sort of recovery. If Rep. Boehner would have been a stronger speaker he would have been able to get the tentative deal he and the President worked out through the House. The GOP claims that they have tried everything. They haven't tried compromise. It is time for them stop this inflexibility and ignore Norquist and the other special interest groups. If the President is willing to take the political hit from his base why can’t the Republicans do the same. So see they haven’t tried everything. It is time for them to compromise

November 22, 2011 at 1:21 pm |
      • MTATL67

STEVEO – Thank you for the great conversation. It reminds me not to become so focused on the GOP and forget the other side has made mistakes also. I appreciate it. Have a great Thanksgiving.

November 22, 2011 at 1:27 pm |

MTATL67,

"If the President is willing to take the political hit from his base why can’t the Republicans do the same. So see they haven’t tried everything. It is time for them to compromise"
        ----------
        I agree, inflexibility is hurting us. Biill Clinton was a master at compromise (he didn't grasp that until his second term but he got it). Until BOTH parties stops seeing themselves as winners and losers in every piece legistlation, America loses!

November 22, 2011 at 1:34 pm |

MTATL67

------–
        MTATL67

I too enjoyed it. It was both civi and informative. Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours as well.

November 22, 2011 at 1:45 pm |
      • Trace

steveo,

You are such a phoney....classically trying to straddle the fence with your criticism of both parties. Its laughable. I has the COWARD feel because all you can do is blame both sides, instead of standing up for any principles.

And don't give me "I stand up for the constitution",; what you are seeing today was NOT intended by the framers. Do you think they actually put together the constitution just for the purpose of creating the political grid lock we have in congress today.

In part, our problem is TOO Many Voices like yours....Full of Positions as firm as Jello. Its pathetic dude. Right or wrong, I'm riding with the Dems from now to the unforeseeable future. I was once a Republican but my intelligence level couldn't continue supporting the stupidity I see now. I don't care what race the president is, I need that person to do their job, and I do not hold them responsible for the rest of the party in congress......I say Term Limits for everybody

November 23, 2011 at 9:31 am |
      • Steveo

Trace
        steveo,

In part, our problem is TOO Many Voices like yours....Full of Positions as firm as Jello. Its pathetic dude. Right or wrong, I'm riding with the Dems from now to the unforeseeable future. I was once a Republican but my intelligence level couldn't continue supporting the stupidity I see now. I don't care what race the president is, I need that person to do their job, and I do not hold them responsible for the rest of the party in congress......I say Term Limits for everyboby

-----------
        Trace, Trace, Trace!

1. Not a phony Trace. Why is it so hard for you to believe people like me really exist!

2. As a Christian, I have strong principle as neither party represents me well! I'll give you an example. I hate the idea of abortion but I'll never angrily confront a woman over it nor will I shot up a clinic over it either! Understand this I am a Christian above everything else.

3. What is pathetic is your willingness to ride with anybody whether they are right or wrong! As for me, I will call out BOTH when I feel my principles are violated whether from the left or the right! That is the biggest problem...people stop thinking for themselves for the sake of a a parties and in your words whether the are right or wrong!

4. I have been very consistent since I have been on this site! As I said earlier., I am here to provoke thought, I am not trying to impress anyone. Don't like my thoughts? Fine Do like my thoughts,? Fine! My principles have guide my life. I will leave you with one last example Illegal immigration. Your boys don't want to enforce current law! They are wrong! The far right wants to kick everybody out! Impossible! So do you see how both extremes are wrong, No you don't because you are riding with the DEMs whether they are "right or wrong".

November 25, 2011 at 5:10 pm |
      • Steveo

Trace, Trace, Trace!

2. As a Christian, I have strong principles and neither party represents me well!. I'll give you an example. I hate the idea of abortion but I'll never angrily confront a woman over it nor will I shoot up a clinic over it either! Understand this I am a Christian above everything else.

November 26, 2011 at 10:03 am |
  7. MTATL67

President Obama tried and tried to work with Congress tried hard ball and compromise both . The Congressional Republicans have refused all proposals and have chosen to follow Sen. McConnell's obstructions agenda. The Republicans claim that they have tried everything.....how about compromise. So no, the Republicans have not tried everything. The GOP has failed this country and its citizens. They have chose to put their pledges to special interest groups above the oath they took when they were sworn in to Congress.

November 22, 2011 at 1:12 pm |
    • steveo

Hard ball NEVER works as the Congress does not work FOR the President and vice versa. I stand by my comments that Both parties have failed! I will agree that the McConnell doctrine was stupid! As far as special interest goes, I really don't have to address that do I? I begrudge no one rooting for one side or the other! I do however challange the blindness that comes we when play "my party is better than your party". You guys like to reference the Koch Brothers, while remaining eerily silent on George Soros! Why is that?

November 22, 2011 at 1:23 pm |
      • MTATL67

No, no need to comment on "special interest". I agree Soros is one guy that yields a lot of power. Both he and the Koch boys need to be held in check.

November 22, 2011 at 2:43 pm |

MTATL67

I fully agree!

November 22, 2011 at 3:11 pm |
  8. C-Lo

When this "super(worthless)-committee" was first proposed, I recall someone on these blogs stating they wished the GOP selected the Dem participants and the Dems selected the GOP participants, then we'd maybe have ended up with moderates from both sides who would have gotten something done. Sounded good then...Sounds outstanding now!

Here and gone. Happy Thanksgiving to all.

November 22, 2011 at 2:01 pm |
    • steveo

Now that was actually progressive thinking, too bad it was here on the blogs are not in DC! Happy Thanksgiving!

November 22, 2011 at 2:05 pm |
    • MTATL67

Great outside the box idea.

November 22, 2011 at 3:10 pm |
  9. mike

Obama needs to hammer these republican idiots for their refusal to back away from the essential policies from the Bush era. Maybe no one wants to hear any more that Bush created many of the problems that led to our recent financial downfall, but it is still the issue as all republicans are still clinging to these ideals today. When it comes to waterboarding, tax breaks for wealthy, waging unfunded wars, environmental policies, deregulation etc., these people are no different than Bush. Why would anyone go down that road again?

November 22, 2011 at 2:31 pm |
  10. george of the jungle

Of course it is political So what do you think a repo would miss an opportunity like this. I think the president is trying to create jobs. to think he is not is stupid. The repos on the otherhand don't want him to because they would not have a platform to stand on. Howard and field 1st are a couple of reasons the repo party is so bad. You have to be a real nut job to understand their thinking. This should be about the American people but the repos can't seem to get past an Obama presidency

November 22, 2011 at 3:24 pm |

George,

Without working in concert with the Congress, NO president can create jobs. The best that can happen is the creation of an environment that is condusive to the creation of jobs. Right now, the Congress is so disfunctional (BOTH parties) it isn't funny. Yep! Both parties! As i said to someone before the GOP sent 15 job creating bills to the Senate and they are stalled! Truth is these bills are pretty much all oil and drilling related and to the DEMS and their envionmentalist supporters that's a NO-GO. So it is not fair nor truthful to say the GOP has done nothing. The truth is the DEMS don't like what the GOP has offered! The GOP has done the same to the DEMS as well. So the end results: A big, steaming pile of nothing!

November 22, 2011 at 3:39 pm |
  11. Cin

Obama will be re-elected. The Republican candidates are just not great. As an independent voter, I just can't vote for any of them. OMG, can't imagine voting for Romney, as I can't figure out what he stands for other than big corporations, and Gingrich, well I just can't even give him a second thought. The only House Speaker to be brought up on ethics charges, well that says it all.

November 22, 2011 at 6:06 pm |
  12. sara

Not only is Willard a Flip-Flopper, But he is a Liar. Won't work. We heard every word the President said in that election....Americans were glued to the TEEVEE listening and HEARING every word. Sorry Willard, All America knows you are a LIAR now.

November 22, 2011 at 7:44 pm |
  13. Liz Carter in Georgia

@MTATL67 and @george of the jungle; I agree with you both. Mindsets like Kochs, Cain, Gingrich, Limbaugh, Foxnews ilk, Howard and FIELD1stSGT are the true models of the growing biased anger, perpetuated through lies, media/blog instigation; beligerency, disdain, inhumanitarianism, biggotry, and obstruction! It is ANTI-AMERICANISM at it's best! They have the gall to call OBAMA a traitor! You are the traitors...traitors against your ownselves! You are the FOOL 99%ers who'll hurt your ownselves to hurt OBAMA!

November 22, 2011 at 9:23 pm |
    • jerry

you don't make sense....go outfora walk and clear your head

November 22, 2011 at 11:18 pm |
  14. dave

Look at all the republicans coming out in droves to protect their sinking ship... be afraid repubs... be very afraid! i cant wait to rub this in your faces when our President Obama is reelected!

OBAMA 2012!!!!

November 22, 2011 at 9:53 pm |
  15. jerry

obama is in full panic. He is in big trouble. An unqualified politician in despair and acting like it. The foreign superpowers have his number...they know he is a lame duck and just shoot him a knowing grin when he struts his strut... noobama 2012.

November 22, 2011 at 11:24 pm |
    • Trace

@jerry,

And which of these clowns (sorry) GOP candidates do you support? Its weak, pathetic, and rather like a monkey at the zoo to simply throw poop at the President from inside your cage. Most intelligent people know that the office of President is THE MOST DIFFICULT job in the world. And the current president has brought us through the most difficult times of our lifetimes.

But for you vapid non-thinkers to get away with bumper sticker slogans with no rationale or basis is a waste of "air time" during these very serious times. If you can explain your support of an opposing idea or support of a GOP clown candidate...why don't you go back to the basement, take your meds and leave the serious conversation to the thinking adults in the discussion.

This really goes for all Trolls....Grow up, defend a position with facts. And it certainly helps for you to define how we got here in the first place......e.g. Obama took office with the country of the brink of recession, Dow at 6700, losing jobs at the rate of 750K per month, the majority of american's greatest enemy (Al Qaeda) were running around with impunity. Yet today the Dow has nearly doubled since then (good for my 401k), 19 straight months of job growth (no matter how modest, I was one to lose during Bush but returned under Obama), And need I say anything about this President's record on Foreign Policy? I can't think of a single terrorist that would think himself safe at this point. Those feelings started with this administration and my family is safer because of this president.

So standup and say something worthwhile you trolls...otherwise save us your bumper sticker fox talking points.

November 23, 2011 at 9:46 am |
      • Trace

mistyped....Obama took office with the country on the brink of a 2nd great depression....ALL ECONOMISTS WOULD AGREE. Are you idiots expecting thinking people to "Blame Obama for that"?

Anything Obama was able to do that would be seen as an improvement from that, should at minimum afford him consideration over the current GOP Clowns running for president.

November 23, 2011 at 9:51 am |
  16. Liz Carter in Georgia

jerry; you're the one who needs to go outside and get some air! You Illeterate, biased, MISINFORMED Fool. You don't have anything. You need to be telling that whole lot of ' GOP stupidity' running to be the next president against President Barack H Obama to go somewhere and get some air; sit down somewhere, and READ! I know your 'boy' Hermain Cain is agaainst that but try it anyway! You 'smart folks' ought to know by now he's a fool! I don't know about you, but I don't pay too much to what he says!

November 23, 2011 at 10:29 pm |