O's Christmas Tree
The Obama family joins Carson Daly, Kermit the Frog, and Santa Claus in singing a song at the Lighting of the National Christmas Tree.
December 1st, 2011

O's Christmas Tree

WHITE HOUSE (CNN) - The Obama family went to their backyard on Thursday evening to participate in a holiday tradition. The Obamas attended the 89th annual Lighting of the National Christmas Tree and the Pageant of Peace held on the Ellipse of the White House grounds.

President Obama, joined by his daughters and the "Grandmother in Chief" Marian Robinson, spoke of the birth of Jesus and how the message of the Christian faith should bring together all Americans to serve their communities.

"No matter who we are, or where we come from, or how we worship, it’s a message that can unite all of us on this holiday season," Mr. Obama said. "It’s important for us to keep in mind the central message of this season, and keep Christ’s words not only in our thoughts, but also in our deeds."

Among the star-studded cast was Kermit the Frog who joined First Lady Michelle Obama in reading  "Twas the Night Before Christmas."

The National Christmas Tree is a new tree this year after the previous one was destroyed by a wind storm last February.

"We all know that this tradition is much larger than any single tree.  And tonight, once again, we gather here not simply to light some decorations, but to honor a story that lights the world," the president said.

Topics: Christmas • The Family • The Visuals

Next entry »
« Previous entry
  1. 1FreeWorld

I see that Global Warming is affecting the lighting of the CHRISTMAS TREE!

I HOPE THE TREE DOESN'T IGNIGHT!

Can the President ever say "Christ, His Lord"?

Or Jesus Christ is my Lord and Light?

Or "We all know that this tradition is much larger than any single tree. And tonight, once again, we gather here not simply to light some decorations, but to honor JESUS CHRIST, a story that lights the world,"

December 1, 2011 at 10:50 pm |
    • 1FreeWorld

Can anybody,, Younger than me,,, help me out????

I want the Seargent Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band's Photo up here,,,

ASAP!

These Guys are wanting you to
      Trip the Light Fantastic,,,
      with London's Socialist Fools from YESTERDAY!,,,

I think ObumerRAT in Chief called them the English Embassey!

Oh,,,

We are the LAUGHING STOCK OF THE WORLD TODAY...

Wait until we wake up,,,,

Might be tomorrow when one of the USA's Soverign States
      leaves O-bo-zo off the Voting Regester (OFFICIAL BALLOT)...

What am I going to do with my Putin-In-Disguised with Blouse On – Prayer Room??????

December 2, 2011 at 8:12 pm |
  2. LIEberals LIE

What's a Muslim doing with a Christmas tree?!? You can't fool us Obama!!

December 1, 2011 at 11:26 pm |
    • Howard

With the way obama has thrown Israel under the bus ... AIPAC, and the entire Jewish community should put all of their resources behind whoever runs against obama !!!

December 1, 2011 at 11:48 pm |
    • jean2009

@clueless Lie
      Muslims do not eat pork...known fact. Yet the Obama's Thanksgiving dinner featured turkey and ham.
      The last I checked ham is pork.

December 2, 2011 at 10:50 am |
      • Howard

Obama not eating ham is called 'taking one for the troops' ... A small price to pay, when compared to completing the caliphate, by toppling Western civilization.

December 2, 2011 at 1:28 pm |
    • iab

Christmas is a time of peace, love, giving, and realizing why Christ was born. Your statement shows u have no clue as to why we celebrate Christmas. Satan is really busy these days. May God change your heart and give you a clue as to what this season is all about.

December 26, 2011 at 3:53 pm |
    • iab

Hatred can cause the body to deteriorate. Be careful when you RAG on God'S Children. Read psalm 27. God don't love ugly.

December 26, 2011 at 3:58 pm |
  3. truindep

obama is a phony

December 2, 2011 at 2:08 am |
  4. Dain Justice

what the hell is Potus anyway !!!!!!! It is amazing how many idiots are out there with their rants about how he is a muslim I would say that those people aren't Christian eather or they wouldn't hate so much!!!

December 2, 2011 at 9:47 am |
  5. Informer

The worst part of it all is that Obama is not a democrate but just a Muslim posing as a Democrate to corrupt our Country. I think he has done a pretty good job... Way to go!!! America is a complete mess. Don't think that it was a mistake. We need to get it together when we vote for just a party. It makes me sick when people only vote for a name. How pathetic, embarrassing, and weak....

December 2, 2011 at 9:48 am |
  6. Trace

Let me see if I can cover all the trolls posting to this article;

@1FreeWorld,
    If you have certain words you would like the president to specifically say, why don't you send them in as a suggestion to the WH for these occasions? Probably be more effective and get more results than you "whining and moaning" like a petulant fool in your posts here. Besides, personally, I don't need anyone, including the president, to pray a certain prayer for me. I have a relationship of my own and can do it myself. You ought to try to improve your personal relationship with whatever deity you serve, but that would mean you would have to put your hatred down for this president....or be a hypocrit....ummm.

@liberals lie,
    First of all, you probably are the sharpest tool in the drawer to begin with, as your moniker is an insult. But, be that as it may.....Even if the president is muslim, which clearly he is not, why should it matter? He's the president. Having said that, this president is waging war in mostly islamist countries (i.e. Iraq – ending soon, Afhganistan, and killing Al Qaeda members by the scores). How dumb do you sound to think that a president doing that would be muslim?

@Howard,

Your usual stupidity. Have you at all noticed what's happening with Iran? This president is imposing some of the toughest sanctions ever faced by this mortal enemy of Israel. I can hear them crying from here. The president simply said out loud the policy every single american president has espoused since the 1960's.....return back to the old borders. Only vapid people like you would take that as throwing Israel under the bus. But I expect as much from you given your lack of intelligence. Its evident in your posts.

@truindep
    How has high school name calling helped you in arguing a critical point? Or are you even able to articulate anything a semi-educated adult can debate with you? Time for you to head back to your parents basement and take your meds.

December 2, 2011 at 9:58 am |
    • Lizzie43

And yet he received oodles of money for his election from the Palestinians. I'm sure this tree lighting was not interrupted, like he did the NYC tree lighting.

December 2, 2011 at 10:33 am |
    • Howard

Trace ...
      You blindly loyal obama stooges are not only delusional, you are also a big part of the problem. It's you fools who keep supporting and covering for obama and his failed policies, resulting in America circling the toilet bowl. So, it's not just obama who is a traitor to America, her traditions, her constitution, her principles, her economy, her allies, etc. ... it's also you fools, who put your misdirected blind loyalty for obama, above your loyalty for America !!!

December 2, 2011 at 1:30 pm |
    • 1FreeWorld

Now for a little Christmas, errr, Holiday Humor!
      Can I say Christmas here????

@Trace:
      """You ought to try to improve your personal relationship with whatever deity you serve, but that would mean you would have to put your hatred down for this president....or be a hypocrit....ummm.""""

My Deity is NOT the Obumer!
      I do not have Candles Lit for Obumer
      (I am sure you do,,, you probabley do not have a Prayer Room Physically for OBoZo,,, rather probably in your Heart!),,,,,

I do not have Hate for Obumer,,,,
      I Hate Tyranny and Big COLLECTIVE Marxist Solutions.

Now,,,, Wanna know what I really like?
      I like BIG BUTTS!
      Oooops, Lizzy from GA might be offended here,,,

I really like Freedom.

How about you?
      Do you like Folks telling
      YOU what to do
      for the price of Accepting
      THEM telling YOU what to do?

Trace,,, I like Liberals,,,

I do not like:
      Their Theology (Government KNOWS BEST),
      Their Gods (Government KNOWS BEST), or
      Their Understanding (Government KNOWS BEST)!!!!!

December 2, 2011 at 8:00 pm |
    • Bill in STL

To the first point trace... all we would have to do is hack the teleprompter and he would never know the difference

To the second point – I have alread posted this once but will repost it here
      Trace a question... How many muslims are in this country that celebrated the downfall of Hussien...or Ghadaffi? Your argument is without merit... They have been fighting amongst themselves for centruries... So the answer to your question is if the president is Shiite ... thenSunni's better watch out... An you have thenever to call people dumb....

To the thirdpoint ... we have been imposing sanctions against Iran since Carter was in office... It hastruly helped a lot has it not?

and to the last point ... Tit for Tat... you have used some very vile names in the past ... why should you expect more than you are willing to give? In addition it is the example that has been set by the community organizer in chief... If he (and you) can keep it stirred up then it is harder to see yur true goals. People are to busy arguing.

December 3, 2011 at 8:28 pm |
  7. Trace

@liberals lie,

BTW

This is not in anyway intended to say President Obama is only waging war against muslims. It means that the threats to this country's security is prodominately in the middle east. But again, That's this president's job...Protect Americans....even clueless one's like you

December 2, 2011 at 10:02 am |
    • Bill in STL

December 3, 2011 at 8:20 pm |
      • Trace

Bill Stl,

I think my argument carries all of the logic in this discussion. This president swore to protect this country against "all enemies, foreign and domestic"

Has he failed to do this? Let me help you and the rest of the people here disparaging his every action....NO. IT DOES NOT MATTER WHAT HIS RELIGION IS....HE IS DOING HIS JOB. My religion says "though shalt not kill" but I pay taxes and along with many other americans, support a government that kills many people in other countries.

Bill in STL, you may be a very intelligent, thoughtful person. I really don't know. I'm just led to believe that you personally dislike this president because of Faux News rhetoric. I'm sure that's the problem for many of the others here vilifying Obama. I personally think its time to grow up, make a sensible argument, and we act like FELLOW AMERICANS and not high school idiots with bumper sticker/name calling insults.

MY GUESS IS THE TROLLS ON HERE KNOW " ....I'M TALKING TO EACH OF YOU"

December 4, 2011 at 10:26 am |
  8. Me

Thar is that thar Muslin agin. Liting a Christmas tree, trying to fool us. Eating pork and I even seen him drinking beer onct, to. When he maried Mishelle, he even had a church wedding like hes a good Christian but we knows better. Now, were's my reemote? Time for Cops reruns and I wanna see if that epsode with cousing Cletus is on agin. Dang it, I sat on my pork rines bag.

December 2, 2011 at 1:05 pm |
  9. Kagee

I swear, if President Obama cured cancer, people would complain about no longer being able to get medical marijuana.

December 2, 2011 at 1:07 pm |
  10. Howard

JEWS SUPPORTING OBAMA ARE LIKE KAPOS

The kapos in the concentration camps were Jews
    who turned on their fellow Jews, in exchange for
    special favors. Obama and his administration, have
    consistently thrown Isreal under the bus, while
    campaigning for contributions from wealthy American
    Jews. The kapos were motivated by sheer survival,
    the American Jews who support obama,
    are motivated by greed, power,
    and what's fashionable ... even though they are being
    used like pawns by obama. All Jews should rally their
    support, and resources behind whoever runs against
    obama !!!

December 3, 2011 at 12:43 pm |
  11. jean2009

Obama-Biden 2012

December 3, 2011 at 2:51 pm |
    • 1FreeWorld

@Jean2009

I currently do not see that many Obozo-Biteme 2012 Bumper Stickers as I saw for the 2008 Election Cycle...

I do see DemocRAT Pollsters looking for HOPE AND CHANGE,,,

Yay!!!!

They are Wanting Obumer to not run in 2012,,,,

I am Hoping for that exact Change!

BTW, we may not have a Obumer-Biteme Ticket in 2012 as there are 3 States (so far) that are questioning,,,
      The Son of the Britsh Subject's Father and the Adoption of said Son into a Non-USA Household,,,

Doesn't look that good for the guy in the White House!

December 3, 2011 at 7:05 pm |
    • Bill in STL

at least your posts are now short and ignorant now jean..

December 3, 2011 at 8:21 pm |
      • Trace

@Bill in STL

I almost mistook you for a person that didn't couch their posts on simple insults....regretably I was wrong. All Jean wrote was "Obama/Biden 2012" and that's ignorant? Amazing ...simply amazing considering the fact if we change the last two (2) digits to "08", then over 54% of the electorate voted for that "ignorance". Really Sir...What does that say for you? Where I you; I'd be embarassed.

December 4, 2011 at 11:06 am |
  12. PC0909

Did michelle read the story "Twas the Night Before Christmas" without any mistakes, this year?

December 4, 2011 at 12:10 am |
  13. PC0909

Did obama need a teleprompter to sing the song?

December 4, 2011 at 12:10 am |
    • Trace

@PC0909

Wow...you can quote a feckless, useless, Faux News insult. One question for you; What does your question mean to advance an intelligent conversation? Oh....It doesn't mean anything....its just a childish insult from the abject idiots that dislike this president because he's the most intelligent and well-spoken this country has had in decades?

PC0909....Please tell me how many president's you've ever seen give a speech without it being written on a piece of paper? That would be NONE AND NEVER! A teleprompter is simply electronic media of what would other wise be written on a piece of paper. Are you really that stupid not to know that, or are you trying to perpetuate Faux News bumper sticker slogans, at the hope of bringing up something here that sounds even partially intelligent? Well, guess what?.....Intelligent people can see you are as shallow as they come....Have a Nice day!

December 4, 2011 at 10:38 am |
      • 1FreeWorld

ALERT - GQ - ALERT - GQ - ALERT

This is not a Fox News Report!

Bozo Obama, Shultz, and Newsweek Owner made

Top 25 Least Influential People Alive list!! !

See for yourself:

You Go Obumer!
        I mean Go AWAY!

December 4, 2011 at 1:07 pm |
      • PC0909

Here is an example of obama trying to speak without a teleprompter.

December 4, 2011 at 11:20 pm |
  14. Deb

My gosh! All this over a tree? Big deal ... why do you care and even if you do ... you can't do a darn thing about. I love the place they are staying at and I wish them a good, restful, yet fun time. Who would I be to worry about WHO may have a tree or not! How immature and really stupid so many of you are that even comment on here. You have no life if you are here everyday. At least I am happy for them and happy for my family. This is not a time for you haters. Get a real life and you may find you can have some fun family time of your own. Merry Christmas to all who are not haters. I'm at peace. Are you? Doesn't sound like many are so go cry in your corner. Come out when you want to act like an adult. Bahhhh Hum Bug! And, PC0909 you are really bad off .. your family may want to look at getting you some serious help. Because you are not a comic. Just calm down & have a happy, peaceful holiday.

December 24, 2011 at 12:19 am |
  15. russia tours

I just can not imagine with incredibly blog greatly that warned me. Thank you “You are not special. You are not a beautiful or unique snowflake. You are the same decaying organic matter as everything else.” – Chuck Palahniuk

January 29, 2012 at 3:17 pm |