What is the First Lady planning to put under the tree for the President this Christmas?
December 13th, 2011

First Lady Michelle Obama met with patients and their families at the Children's National Medical Center in Washington, DC on Monday. Before reading "'Twas the Night Before Christmas" to the children, she was asked about her favorite holiday story, the first family Christmas eve traditions and even what she planned to give the president for Christmas. Here is her answer:

Well, again, we go through this every year. I’m not going to say because it’s going to be reported in the paper and it won’t be a surprise. Because he will read it. And he’ll say, Oh, that's what you’re getting me. So you know I try to get him stuff that he likes to do, sports stuff, clothes. But the truth is, we generally - we always say we’re not going to give each other gifts because the gift is the love that we have for each other. Yes, that's a good thing. But then he usually gets me something. And then I’m like, we weren’t supposed to get each other stuff. so I got him something but I’m not going to say. All right? That make sense? Last year one of the kids suggested that I get him a hot tub. Remember that? We didn't get him a hot tub.

Topics: Christmas • Michelle Obama • The Buzz

1. Robert Weimer

Punch it

December 13, 2011 at 11:21 am |
    • William Riccio, Jr.

Is a muzzle too much to ask for?

December 13, 2011 at 1:32 pm |
      • wanda anderon

Bet you must be the one who needs a muzzle. What is wrong with showing a little respect for the man God has allowed us have as our leader. Try Prayer and we will all feel better.

December 15, 2011 at 11:49 am |
  2. george of the jungle

Im sure it will not be too extravagent . Hope the whole family has a great christmas. Im sure the repos will be weighing in on this story.

December 13, 2011 at 11:41 am |
  3. CARTIER

The greatest First Lady ever !

December 13, 2011 at 12:00 pm |
    • Boo_Bottoms

yeah right... she's a stinker of a first lady!

December 13, 2011 at 12:31 pm |
      • Angy

hater!

December 13, 2011 at 1:38 pm |
      • Michelle

You have absolutely no basis for that low blow. That's what's wrong with us now – we make ignorant baseless comments and then some fools actually believes it. You must be one of those fools.

December 13, 2011 at 2:35 pm |
    • Angy

Yes she is. Very caring and giving First Lady.

December 13, 2011 at 1:40 pm |
      • Trish

I agree that Michelle Obama and her family are loving and genuine. President Obama has a sex appeal due to his energy, excellent presence and speaking skills. It is obvious he loves his wife and children. And he is so rational.

December 26, 2011 at 11:39 am |
    • Jason

Ok, Sasha, we get it.

December 13, 2011 at 6:24 pm |
    • Howard

While the obama's are lying and swindling the American people ... CNN runs frivolous articles like this, to divert readers attention away from the actual damage barack obama is doing to this country !!!

December 14, 2011 at 12:52 am |
      • catmom

Care to enlighten us how the Obama's are lying and swindling the American people? It is amazing that some of you people are so out of control with your unreasonable hatred of All things Obama that you all are willing to show yourselves as ignorant, petty, jealous, hateful, prejudiced people. While you all are on here insulting the President and his family, they are so above it all in class, culture and intelligence. It is you people looking foolish and sounding pathetic.

December 16, 2011 at 11:45 pm |
    • wanda anderon

I agree. I love her. Wish I could be placed on the Christmas Card list from our White House. 3050 Greenbrook Way NE,Atllanta,ga 30345

December 15, 2011 at 11:50 am |
    • june Cameron

The Best First Lady was Elennor Roosevelt

December 26, 2011 at 2:27 am |
  4. KatR

Wish somebody would start a project to give every member of Congress a Christmas stocking loaded with lumps of dirty coal.

December 13, 2011 at 12:27 pm |
  5. Boo_Bottoms

I think she should give him a "clue" since he's clueless!

December 13, 2011 at 12:29 pm |
    • Howard

Most young people are so out of touch with having to show up at a job on a regular basis, it's pitiful. This is reinforced by a clueless President, who promotes class warfare, expectations of entitlement, and a socialist system, which creates dependency. In addition, our liberal educational community has demonized competition, and initiative ... while demanding pay raises and pensions, based upon tenure ( just showing up ... you know, like voting 'present 127 times) Newt Gingrich is right ... and, if we don't replace Odumbo with a real leader, who reestablishes reward for merit ... America is doomed !!!

December 13, 2011 at 1:29 pm |
      • JOSE0311USMC

A GOP VOTER, HOW CAN I TELL ? LOL.

December 13, 2011 at 3:22 pm |
      • Just Sayin

F#$!% OFF

December 13, 2011 at 6:19 pm |
      • tnwoman1948

@Howard

I occasionally visit this website and sometimes I comment, and each time you are always on it ignorantly ranting your vicious insults at the president or Mrs. Obama. Do you have a life outside of being on the internet making a FOOL of yourself?
        Are you retired wasting SS funds, or if you are still working and stealing computer time from your employer? Either way you are a very sick "person".

December 13, 2011 at 10:29 pm |
      • jean2009

Howard you are the only one who has never been in touch with reality.

December 15, 2011 at 12:18 am |
  6. FrozenChosen

How about a new prayer rug?

December 13, 2011 at 12:43 pm |
  7. JOSE0311USMC

DOES ANYONE REALLY CARES ??? WHEN MILLIONS OF AMERICANS ARE UNEMPLOYED-HOMELESS-ON WELFARE-COLLECTING UNEMPLOYMENT-SLEEPING IN THEIR VEHICLES–SLEEPING IN THE PARKS–WOODS....I DON'T CARE AND I VOTED FOR HIM.

December 13, 2011 at 3:20 pm |
    • CONservatives

you cared enough to click on this article

December 13, 2011 at 5:12 pm |
  8. JOSE0311USMC

HOW ABOUT A TAX REBATE OF $ 5,000 DOLLARS FOR PEOPLE WHO LOSS THEIR JOB ?? NICE CHRISTMAS GIFT.

December 13, 2011 at 3:25 pm |
  9. Joi Gibson

My goodness people, there is no need to be so rude. Even people in the most dire of straights find something to appreciate. It is just a lighthearted story. I think it's quite nice actually. It is Christmas!!! Try showing a little holiday spirit.

December 13, 2011 at 3:43 pm |
    • Jason

You are obviously completely out of touch with average Americans. America has been scraping the guard rails for decades, and his actions put us into a ditch. Its going to take a serious revolution to get out of this mess, or we will end up like the Soviet Union. Oh yeah, merry christmas.

December 13, 2011 at 6:31 pm |
      • jean2009

George W. Bush's actions put us in this ditch; and this good man has been trying his hardest (for the last 3 years to right thing) with zip help from the morons who drove the train off the cliff. History has dates and nobody including you is allowed to rewrite the simple facts of that history.
        Open a book, get a clue, and quit whining.

December 15, 2011 at 12:13 am |
      • catmom

Yeah and you aren't reading the Republican playbook. The GOVERNMENT meaning the President is not responsible for your miserable lives. Why are you expecting the government to improve people's lives? I mean I thought Republicans think people should be on their own, able to create jobs out of thin air. Create millions by just thinking about it. President Obama isn't the person that ruined your life or made you such a miserable person. He isn't the one who ruined the country. Get over yourself and do something worthwhile rather than blame the President for your miserable life.

December 17, 2011 at 12:14 am |
  10. chiffonlong

Dear president obama and michelle
    MY name is Chiffon Long I hope you will be president next year .I vote youto be president again.You have made a different in my life.You have teach me to acheive my goal in life and to be a best person.Thank you for make a diffrent for the world.

Love Chiffon Long

December 13, 2011 at 5:36 pm |
  11. chiffonlong

Dear president obama and michelle
    MY name is Chiffon Long I hope you will be president next year .I will vote for you to be president again.You have made a different in my life.You have teach me to acheive my goal in life and to be a best person.Thank you for make a diffrent for the world.

Love Chiffon Long

December 13, 2011 at 5:38 pm |
  12. Jason

Obama put us into a ditch after decades of scraping the guard rails. It will take a serious revolution to get us out of this mess, or we will end up like the soviet union. Elect Ron Paul in 2012, because are we stupid? Merry Christmas.

December 13, 2011 at 6:34 pm |
    • jean2009

Ron Paul is a hypocrite.

December 15, 2011 at 12:14 am |
  13. Cynthia V.

Good story!! Merry Christmas to All and a Happy New Year!!!

December 13, 2011 at 6:51 pm |
  14. m

One of Santa's elf's has it that she plans to have a bow on a big box for Barack.

December 13, 2011 at 9:41 pm |
  15. Trace

It must be both complacency and ignorance that forces petulent knuckle draggers to insult the First Family on a blog about a gift under the WH Christmas tree. Its amazing we have such ignorance like this moving amongst the decent people of this country everyday. Although hopefully these people never get out of their parents basement.

Given the number of single celled imbeciles on this particular blog, it only reminds me the distress this country faces...So many idiots and its plainly obvious, we couldn't possibly fix all this stupidity.

December 14, 2011 at 12:28 am |
  16. Trace

CNN....Your moderators should return whatever pay they receive. Enforcing and excluding vile and insulting rhetoric about the 1st Family is simply not within their skillset. I would argue complete illiterates would do a better job. A person looking for intelligent conversation here, would be very much disappointed, unless Jr High name calling needs more exposure in the public discourse....I think not. Clean it up CNN

December 14, 2011 at 12:38 am |
    • jean2009

Trace, I honestly don't get it. I can post a piece with dates, figures, websites and what I consider clear thoughtful statements about a position, and the moderator will sit on it for hours....but they let some of the above comments which are the most disrespectful about the President and First Lady and it flies right by them.

December 15, 2011 at 12:27 am |
    • tracey

The 1st family is a disgrace

December 25, 2011 at 12:54 am |
  17. MichelleIndependent

Their vacation cost $4 million dollars.

December 17, 2011 at 4:24 pm |
  18. RS, CA

Oh, puke!

December 18, 2011 at 10:36 am |
  19. Jeeny Maa

The economy is not doing very good lately, hence to seek new ways to generate money little extra income is important tin order to continue enjoying high standard of life style. I think everyone is looking for more information on income via the internet and if something like this comes across it is going to turn out a great help to any one and everyone.

April 17, 2012 at 1:18 pm |
  20. twas4kids

MAYBE THIS YEAR 2012 the first lady will read the new smoke free edition of Twas The Night Before Christmas.
    as the president has been involved in tobacco prevention for the good of children of the world.

November 1, 2012 at 11:03 am |
  21. twas4kids

Given the option I wonder if the first family will be reading the new smoke-free santa edition of Twas the Night Before Christmas edited by Santa Claus.
    In a study of over 1,000 children with parents that smoked their number one wish for Christmas was that their parents stop. They were even willing to give up Christmas presents if it would make a difference. Christmas presents make up 20% of annual retail sales. The ramificiations of a smoking Santa – just like a smoking Joe Camel on the youngest of readers is obvious.

November 1, 2012 at 11:06 am |