First on CNN: First lady accepts date to the Marine Corps Ball
December 16th, 2011

First on CNN: First lady accepts date to the Marine Corps Ball

Washington (CNN) - 20 year old Marine Lance Corporal Aaron Leeks from Frederick, Maryland has asked First Lady Michelle Obama to accompany him to the Marine Corps Ball next November. "With your husband's permission of course," said Leeks.

The first lady responded, "I'd love to" and brought an aide over to get his information. The first lady met Leeks at a Toys-for-Tots event at Joint Base Anacostia-Bolling located in southeast Washington, DC.

Leeks leaves for Afghanistan next month where he will prepare the bodies of slain troops for return to Dover Air Force Base.

When asked by the media if the President was aware of the invitation, White House Press Secretary Jay Carney said, "If the President is watching, this it might be the first he has heard of it…I don’t know, but I think the First Lady’s commitment to military families is very strong indeed so I am sure she was flattered by the invitation.”

Topics: Michelle Obama • The Buzz

Next entry »
« Previous entry
  1. Joi Gibson

WOW!!! That is sooo very nice of the First Lady. I love our First Lady.

Lance Corporal, you will have a very solemn duty to carry out. Take good care and I hope you enjoy your time at the Marine Ball with our wonderful First Lady.

December 16, 2011 at 2:27 pm |
    • John

These posts make me laugh. As we read through them we constantly see lib posters calling others who disagree w/them names. The other thing that stands out here is one of the lib posters suggesting that a 20 year old should ask out BO. Really? Doesn't a 20 something with the pres bring anything to mind?
      IMO, it would have been a good thing for the first lady to respectfully decline.

December 17, 2011 at 11:39 am |
      • jean2009

Another moron with his mind in the gutter....

December 17, 2011 at 11:49 am |
      • 2020

Don't just bitch others while every eyes on the planet stare at you. What is your problem? it is a respectful nice innocent invitation, and the first lady accepts it with grace. It tells a person's character how much the first lady respect the young man in uniform. It is called Courtesy. If you have learned that at home, or in school. Learn it now before your soul get further corrupted.

December 17, 2011 at 11:12 pm |
      • JOSE0311USMC

THAT GUY THAT ASK THE FIRST LADY TO THE MARINE CORPS BALL, LOOKS GAY TO ME.

December 18, 2011 at 1:58 pm |
      • Central Park West

How very gracious of the First Lady. I love her cool personal manner. This totally underscores her kind awareness of others even though she is married to the most powerful man on the planet. Very rare indeed!

December 18, 2011 at 2:43 pm |
    • JOSE0311USMC

THE FIRST LADY IS IN NO DANGER, THAT GUY LOOK GAY TO ME..I KNOW A GAY GUY WHEN I SEE ONE..

December 18, 2011 at 2:00 pm |
      • the commoner

José, I havecno doubt you can spot 'em. That talent of yours makes finding action on liberty go ever so much easier.

December 19, 2011 at 7:59 am |
  2. Debbie

How fantastic! Lance Corporal, may Gods Speed be with you on your solemn and sacred duty to carry out. First Lady way to go!

December 16, 2011 at 2:32 pm |
  3. Victor

Good luck to this guy, my dude Obama is not going to let some chump try to make a move on his girl. When Leeks turns up at a CIA black site we should not be surprised.

December 16, 2011 at 2:37 pm |
    • David Pollan

I'll bet President Obama has to be proud as hell of Mrs.Obama; how incredible she accepted ...this will be something this young man and his family will always remember and appreciate.

December 17, 2011 at 9:52 am |
    • Shades

You are a sad, little man.

December 19, 2011 at 10:26 am |
  4. steveo

I am struggling with this one. While this is a nice gesture and all:
    1. She IS a married woman
    2. With all the Secret Service that will be in your face, how will this be enjoyable?
    3. She IS a married woman
    4. The lady Marine who invited Timberlake may have opened up Pandora's box
    5. What "guest" date will be next?
    6. She IS a married woman
    and lastly,
    7. She IS a married woman

December 16, 2011 at 3:46 pm |
    • jean2009

Steveo and Jerry grow up. This is a very much like that young man taking his mother as a date....,or like Mila Kunis and Justin Timberlake arriving with a Marine at the Marine Corps ball. I think it is great. Around the country is it sort of the in thing to ask someone famous to attend various Marine Corp Balls.

December 16, 2011 at 4:18 pm |
      • steveo

Jean,

How in the heck is a Marine asking the First Lady (wife of the Commander in Chief) on a "date" the same as asking Timberlake or Kunis (who are BOTH single). Would he ask the wife of his Commanding General out (who is out ranked by the Commaner-in-Chief, btw)? If it's like asking his mom, maybe he should take is Mom! Don't worry about me growing up. I am grown enough to ask but one married lady out and that would be my wife! I find that this is just plain weird! I am really surprised you don't.

December 16, 2011 at 4:34 pm |
      • jean2009

Steveo as a great-grandmother I take the long view of most things. To think that young Marine doesn't understand the First Lady is a married woman is to be purely lacking in common intelligence and maturity...or is the normal idiotic thing that passes for the current Teapotty swill. I'm sure if the Commanding General's wife were a well known person he would have asked her.

The Marine Corp Ball is not some shady activity held in some dark ally dive.
        Grow up!

December 17, 2011 at 10:51 am |

Jean2009,
        You have the most difficult time understanding disagreement! You assume i don't believe the Marines knows Mrs Obama is a married woman! will due due respect, that is a crazy assumption! Between you and Tara Butler, "SWILL" would be a most appropriate term.
        Let's recap,

MAnn, wants everyone who disagrees to shut up
        Tara was the first in inject race and s-e-x into the conversation
        and you feel that everyone who disagrees is immature and lacks common sense!

Three liberals and three negative comments to those who disagree! SWILL indeed!

December 17, 2011 at 11:04 am |
      • jean2009

@Steveo...No, it is just on the basis of the weightless swill you are injecting into the conversation that the intelligence and immaturity of your comments are being judged.

December 17, 2011 at 11:12 am |
      • Steveo

How long do we have to wait before you decide to "judge' comments by Tara? After all she inject race and s-e-x.
        If you don't...you're hypocritical!

December 17, 2011 at 11:18 am |
      • Bill In Stl

Wow... Jean ... I am stunned.... you are a great grandmother and yet you see no harm in a single man asking out a married woman.... When you boil it all down and throw away the titles .... that is what it is .... As a husband and a grandfather I would be insulted if that happened to my wife.... You certainly seem to have a very loose moral code where you live ... In my experience this is a very large social tabo....

December 17, 2011 at 9:29 pm |
      • NCWriter

This is more like the First Lady trying to cash in on the "date a serviceman" craze, a little too weirdly and a little too late.

She's married. She's the wife of your Commander in Chief.

Nothing good can come of this.

December 18, 2011 at 7:31 pm |
    • catmom

Oh for goodnesssakes. Lighten up!! he is well aware that she is married. Why must yiou people try and turn this into something it's not.

December 16, 2011 at 11:14 pm |
      • Bill In Stl

Really .... what is it then? This is off the charts for being the wrong thing to do..... Think about it .... even the implied thought of impropriety has brought many public servants .... and this one made the news before it happened.

December 17, 2011 at 9:31 pm |
    • Teresa

People, who do you think protects the White House? Marines, so our dear first lady will be in very good company. I love that she said yes without any other thought to it. She's showing her commitment to supporting our troops is more than a sound bite. I seriously doubt this will be a "date" come on, get real. Get you mind out of the gutter. Mrs. Obama has just shown you all how real class works.

December 17, 2011 at 9:44 am |
      • Bill In Stl

Oh come now.... I presume you are married ..... so what would your husband say if a single marine asked you to the ball???? Be honest now.

December 17, 2011 at 9:33 pm |
    • canuhereme

Shes married, but there's a big diffence she is the first lady,I thank it's great.This president is real smart.

December 17, 2011 at 3:06 pm |
    • Caroline

Yes, Steve. Michelle Obama is a married woman. Thanks for pointing out the obvious, not one but four times. Does that mean Aaron Leeks is not going to enjoy a very memorable evening with the First Lady of the United States? Of course not. Good for him for having the guts to invite her and good for her for accepting. I hope they have a grand time.

December 17, 2011 at 7:57 pm |
    • Dani

Well said.

December 17, 2011 at 10:49 pm |
  5. Kita

4. The lady Marine who invited Timberlake may have opened up Pandora's box
    5. What "guest" date will be next?
    6. She IS a married woman

Steveo, I think you hit the nail on the head

December 16, 2011 at 3:55 pm |
  6. jerry

first, I'm a 63 year old former active duty combat veteran Marine. Where did they dig this kid up? He is obviously not too bright...this is just another obama media ruse...and it makes me sick. The Marine Corps ball is no place for this political posuring...do these (obamas) have any shame?...the answer is NO!

December 16, 2011 at 3:55 pm |
    • 2cents4free

Excuse me?
      jerry, you are an idiot.

December 16, 2011 at 4:28 pm |
    • David Pollan

You couldn't possibly more wrong. This was obviously a sincere and generous gesture. Her efforts on behalf of military families has been her cause since becoming First Lady. Cynics and malcontents objecting to this are sad.

December 17, 2011 at 10:02 am |
    • lisa2010

to jerry, this is a very prestigious event for a young marine. i bet he didn't dream that his invitation will be accepted... he must've been practicing a lot to get the nerve to do it, and he did it and our gracious first lady accepted...furthermore she called over her aid to get the information, so we know it is confirmed... furthermore, the first lady will be there as a guest, and i know the president will go along with it... this will be an event this marine will remember with pride ..thank you sir for your service to the american people...

December 17, 2011 at 10:51 am |
    • jean2009

@ jerry no one said the First Lady asked him....so how does this equate to political posturing on the part of the President? I had enough intelligence to have figured that one out before I was 63.

December 17, 2011 at 10:58 am |
    • Caroline

Shame on her for accepting the invitation of a marine? That's too funny. Of course, if she had rejected it, the loonies like Jerry and the Fox clowns would call her unpatriotic and accuse her of hating the troops.

Just admit you feel an irrational hatred toward the Obamas and will find fault with anything they do, not do, say and not say. Then get some therapy.

December 17, 2011 at 8:03 pm |
    • Mike Coleman

Jerry, as an Air Force Combat medic, I'll second the motion that you are an idiot. Mrs. Obama was gracious in accepting the offer from the Marine and I feel that it reflect badly on you to and all Marines to reply the way you did.

December 20, 2011 at 11:35 am |
  7. Excuse me?

jerry, you are an idiot.

December 16, 2011 at 4:03 pm |
  8. poester

she is married but that does not mean she cannot be a guest of his at his ball. this is not political posturing- it's called being human and kind.

December 16, 2011 at 4:05 pm |
  9. Donna

Jerry,
    Get off your high horse. It's just a kind gesture.

December 16, 2011 at 4:12 pm |
  10. don't know a thing

What a crap story. Michelle Obama declined MY invitation to the Air Force ball.... FAVORITISM.

December 16, 2011 at 4:50 pm |
    • Emma

Maybe when the Air Force finishes explaining to all the families why they chose to dispose of their soldier's remains in a landfill, maybe just maybe someone will want to attend Air Force functions.

December 19, 2011 at 2:15 pm |
  11. frontrunner64

I am glad that she will get to observe the ceremony in person. I am a former Marine, and the Marine Corps Ball is one of the most moving, solemn, beautiful rituals imaginable. We are very conscious and very proud of our history and our traditions, and they are never more impressively on display than at one of these events...

December 16, 2011 at 4:54 pm |
    • Steveo

I am formerly Air force and i have always respected (and still do) the Marines and the discipline they have displayed. This is but my opinion but I feel this young Marine did not display that discipline when he 'asked out" a married woman. Wouldn't it have been more appropriate for the Marines to invite both the President and the First Lady? They both could have observed the ceremony. Just my opinion.

December 16, 2011 at 7:07 pm |
      • Dani

I think people are ignoring military discipline. He is not brave, he is insubordinate and stupid. You do not invite a married woman on a date. You do not invite your boss' wife on a date. You do not invite your commanders wife on a date. I can't understand why this NCO hasn't been disciplined under the UCMJ. You are right Steveo on all your points.

December 17, 2011 at 10:55 pm |
    • Penelope

What a bold man! I don't think it has anything to do with being married, it's not a date! It was a great gesture of support by Michelle Obama and will be a great moral boost to those Marines at the ball. Also, I agree with frontrunner64 it's very nice that she'll see the ritual and tradition behind such a well respected part of the armed forces that faces the greatest number of casualties in our foreign wars.

December 16, 2011 at 7:09 pm |
  12. sara

OMG! This married woman thingy is funny and I don't get it. She is our OUR first lady and the Marine Ball isn't a "house party" or a date. It's an INVITE. Someone said it was a political stunt, how sad.

December 16, 2011 at 7:38 pm |
    • Steveo

i disagree with you. I don't think this is funny at all. Can we now expect a 20 year old female sailor to ask out the President? I still think it was appropriate for the MARINES to invite both the President AND his wife.

December 16, 2011 at 7:45 pm |
      • jean2009

A great idea I hope some 20 year old Marine does ask him, and I hope he says yes. We unlike you do not have our head in the gutter....nor do we think the President and First Lady supporting our troops politically motivated.

December 17, 2011 at 11:06 am |
      • Steveo

Are you even reading me? I said I agree that this is NOT political!! Once again, TARA (a liberal) injected s-e-x and race into this. Not me! In your zeal to "correct" anyone who dares to disagree you are ignoring the totality of my comments!

December 17, 2011 at 11:12 am |
      • jean2009

Steveo ....so now you are trying to weasel out of your implications and the phony mortification over her being a married woman?
        FYI...I would suggest reviewing the total listing of all definitions for the word "date".
        With all the definitions given it could reasonably be said I have a "date" with my dentist on Thursday for a new crown on an upper molar.
        Only those with small minds would make that something it isn't. Your first post was every other sentence about the First Lady being a married woman. Which showed exactly how small minded you are.

December 17, 2011 at 11:42 am |

Jean2009,

If you have a problem with the word "DATE" I highly suggest you talk to CNN about as they were the first to use that term. Secondly, a liberal mentioned s-e-x and race and not me. I cannot help if you see something in my words that is not there! The hypocrisy is not surprising! I stand by my statements and am not weaseling out of anything! It is all that surprising to you that I have convictions? I am still waiting for you to "judge" Tara's post or does she get a "liberal pass"? My money is on PASS!

December 17, 2011 at 1:06 pm |
      • jean2009

Steveo you are the one with the misunderstanding of the many definitions of the word....DATE.
        I see no reason to take on Tana. You are the one who is misinformed...says one thing and then wants to weasel out of standing behind what you said. Basically you are an ignorant small minded (pinheaded) person...who hasn't got the balls to say you were being disrespectful when that is exactly what you were.
        You can say you are an independent...but actually you are just a buffoon...who has swilled too much poisoned tea.

December 17, 2011 at 3:21 pm |

Jean2009,

I see no reason to take on Tana.
        ------–
        Color me surprised! jean2009 you act like you can't have a discussion without someone who disagrees with you and to be 76 you sound awfully immature! with your juvenile name calling. This is America, if you want to live like that, you are free t do so! I just find it interesting that you are telling me to grow up! Yet you lack courage in taking on Tana when she injects race into it. Good for you!

December 17, 2011 at 5:36 pm |
      • jean2009

@Steveo What you and Tara have going on is between you and her. I never judge people by their color as far as I'm concerned...the color a person was born is something they had no control over; it is how they treat others. The first lady is doing a wonderful job on that front...you not so much.

Basically for a supposedly mature Libertarian I haven't seen you ever once post anything to support your views....only your immature comments directed with personal attacks at the first family; which is utter garbage. It is one thing to disagree with the President on policy...but you are not mature enough to handle that.

BTW what are you a parrot? With the repeat of only a line or two of what another person said to open your reply. I am old enough to remember all of what I have said. You are the one having problems of denial about what you have said.

George is right you an immature Jerk.

December 18, 2011 at 12:00 pm |
      • Steveo

@Steveo What you and Tara have going on is between you and her. I never judge people by their color as far as I'm concerned...the color a person was born is something they had no control over; it is how they treat others. The first lady is doing a wonderful job on that front...you not so much-
        -------
        Once again, you habve failed to actually read what I wrot. I said:

" I will admit the election of Obama was historic, no doubt! For those who simply voted for OR against him for the sake of his skin color are EQUALLY racist in their actions! ". I have not judged anyone by skin color! I am sure if I loudly proclaimed only those who voted against the President because of his skin color you would have high-fived me.

So because agree with George and he is wrong (he offered no proof and no argument you are equally wrong!

As far as we attacking the first family, you are out of your mind. Show me ONE time where I attacked them. Prove your ridiculous accusation...In fact I just recently stated the hatred against them was shameful (the toys for tots article). Prove me wrong Jean! I will save you the time, YOU CAN'T because I never attacked them.. if someone who often suggests reading let me suggest one, cut and paste ANYTHING that I have said that I have attacked the first family! YOU CAN"T!

Why do I cut and paste one line or two from another post? It is called CONTEXT!

December 18, 2011 at 4:08 pm |
  13. Tana Butler

Anyone who has a problem with this, especially anonymous pinheads posting who lack the courage (balls) to post under their own names: you are really and truly pathetic and incredibly ill-informed. Or maybe you're downright stupid. (Being ill-informed is a deliberate choice, whereas being stupid is congenital.)

The Marines' Ball is a honorable event, and it is in no way disrespectful to invite Mrs. Obama as one's guest. It's not a date, it's not an invitation to hanky-panky, and if you assume that, your little head does the thinking. FOR SHAME ON YOU, ALL.

Stupidity should hurt.

To the good Lance Corporal Leeks: thank you for your service—especially for the gruesome duty of preparing the corpses of our fallen for their return to the land they will never see again. I thank Mrs. Obama and Mrs. Biden for their commitment to honoring those in service, and their families.

"Political ruse"? You sicken me, and you have no honor whatsoever. Turn in your stripes, you racist pile of wasted education.

I am proud of this young man—to me his ultimate bravery in this arena is that he's so short next to Mrs. Obama! Ha!

: D

December 16, 2011 at 7:58 pm |
    • Steveo

Why can't you see it is just a simple disagreement! Congratulations, you have now made this about race!. For your info I am Black (in liberal speak, that would be "Uncle Tom"). Feel better now? Ill-informed and stupid? It appears, by your injecting race into this, your own words have come to haunt you!

P.s. you said "it's not an invitation to hanky-panky, and if you assume that, your little head does the thinking."

You have also injected sex into this discussion Well done!

December 17, 2011 at 10:50 am |

Steveo
      Your comment is awaiting moderation.

You have also injected s-e-x into this discussion Well done! If you have a problem with the term DATE, you might want to bring that up with these site moderators as they used that term first

December 17, 2011 at 10:52 am |

--------
      So you actually think Jean's last name is 2009? How about George? Somehow I don't think "of the jungle" is actually on his birth certificate, do you? According to you, It is somehow courageous to post support anonymously but yet cowardly to disagree anonymously? Really!?!?

December 17, 2011 at 1:17 pm |
      • Tana Butler

Oh. Steveo, Steveo. How little you show-eo you know-eo. My words do not haunt me. If you're black and you're a conservative, welcome to the big line of Kool-Aid drinkers. How I pity you.

I'm not a "lib," BTW. I am a progressive. Conservative stances have always held off against progress. Had those fear-filled souls had their way, here is a short list of things that would be the result: 1) We'd still be colonized under England—the Conservative mindset did NOT approve the American Revolution. 2) Black people would still be slaves. Yes, YOU and YOUR CHILDREN would be bought and sold. 3) Neither black people nor women would be able to vote. 4) Interracial marriage would be illegal. 5) Schools (and buses, etc.) would still be segregated. 6) All issues of human rights would be ignored. Start there. I could go on and on with these facts. Of which you seem to be completely ignorant.

Every SINGLE thing that has made our nation better—environmental, social justice, you name it—has been because of liberal thought action. "Lincoln freed the slaves?" The Republican Party at the time WAS the liberal party. There were three party: Republicans, Democrats, and the Whigs. The latter two were conservative. In fact, Theodore Roosevelt and even Dwight D. Eisenhower are not remotely representative of the GOP of today. In fact, BOTH warned against the symptoms of facism that the GOP today models. (I assume you know of these warnings, but then I've been wrong before.)

Here's your challenge. Name ONE SINGLE THING OF NOTE that led to progress and greatness that came from a "Conservative." I use the word laughingly, since the GOP since Reagan has been pillaging the national patrimony to its bones since they took office.

If you think you can shame ME, you can't. The truth would set you free, if you had half a mind to meet it in the road.

Once again, I'm proud of this young man for his sincerity and intelligence in inviting Mrs. Obama to the Marine's Ball. Even more, I admire him for his service: a grueling duty he faces ahead. Bless him. And bless all who would use their minds and actions to liberate the minds of others. Even you, Steveo.

December 17, 2011 at 1:56 pm |

Tara,

First off, I am independent! I am not a blind follower of either party! You would know that if you read any of my posts. Let's see here.. We can thank YOUR party for the mass killings of our children and then call it choice! you see both parties have failed us. BOTH have forgotten the term "PUBLIC SERVANT". They BOTH are acting more like "PUBLIC MASTERS". BOTH of them. I will admit the election of Obama was historic, no doubt! For those who simply voted for OR against him for the sake of his skin color are EQUALLY racist in their actions!

I choose to examine issues and policies and NOT skin color! So if by me thinking for myself equate to kool aid drinking, so be it! Btw, progressive is but only the PC term for liberal!

Since you are engaged is history,you may want to review the Civil Rights Act of 1969. Take a look at where the majority of positive votes came from. Lastly, please explain to me when the Dems owned everything, Why didn't they make the Voting Rights Acts, permanent? How you ever considered that?

I am not trying to shame you just wondering why you were the first to interject race and s-e-x into this conversation! Please say you energy and time, I have no need for your pity! To answer your question about naming ONE issue that the conservative accomplished. Oh I dunno. The 1969 Civil Rights Act, perhaps! Or does that not count?

My last closing, You have made several outrageous claims in your second paragraph. Please provide ANY evidence because to me it sounds like the same ole progressive/liberal song and dance
        !

December 17, 2011 at 2:30 pm |
      • Tana Butler

I am done with Steveo, who can't even pay enough attention to spell my name.

Your points are anemic and pathetic, as is your general writing and sentence construction. You have no pride whatsoever in your education. You shame your parents, and you shame yourself.

DONE.

December 17, 2011 at 3:40 pm |

Tana Butler
        I am done with Steveo, who can't even pay enough attention to spell my name.

DONE.
        -------]

1. The misspelling of your name was not intentional
        2. Of course you are done. I provided some information that you don't seem to want to answer
        3. I challenged your ridiculous charges in your second paragraph No doubt you are done, you have no answers and you have no evidence so you do what many of you liberals/progressives do divert from the subject at hand and call names!
        4. You do your party proud!!

December 17, 2011 at 5:27 pm |
      • jean2009

Thanks Tana...a progressive after my own heart. You are dead on about the make up of the what currently calls itself the Republican party. Steveo says he is a Independent. I wonder if he has read:" Independents are the Biggest Idiots" by Frederick Shelton @ theCheers.org

December 18, 2011 at 6:52 pm |
      • Steveo

Just can't seem to get past the name calling huh? Still awaiting the proof that I said anything negative about the first family I'm betting that book was written by a liberal/progressive!

December 18, 2011 at 6:58 pm |
      • Mike Coleman

The 1969 Civil Rights Act! Surely you jest! First off, it was The 1964 Civil Rights Acts pushed by Lyndon Baines Johnson. Steve, if you don't know something as simple as that, quit while you're ahead.

December 20, 2011 at 11:47 am |
      • steveo

Mike,

You are correct it was 1964. Thank you for the correction. You are correct once more when you say it was pushed by LBJ, HOWEVER, Presidential pushes mean next to nothing without the approva of the Congress. Yes, LBJ pushed it but you should well know the higher percentage of YES votes came from the GOP and NOT the Dems! As far as quitting, I am trying to move on but this is the second time today i have been pulled back into this story!

Yes it was 1964! I simply misspoke! Is that something you have never done, Mike?

December 20, 2011 at 2:03 pm |
      • steveo

PS Mike,

I don't mind being challenged but find it awfully strange that I am the only one you have challenged.

Would you care to challenge any of the following statements?

(despite the CRA of 1964 or the Emancipation Proclaimation)

3) Neither black people nor women would be able to vote.
        (Despite the Voting Rights Acts or the 15th and 19th Amendments)

4) Interracial marriage would be illegal.
        (despite Loving VS Virginia, 1967)

5) Schools (and buses, etc.) would still be segregated.
        (despite CRA of 1964 and Brown Vs Board of Education, 1955)

Again, I don't mind being challenged, I learn that way. How about it Mike?

December 20, 2011 at 2:17 pm |
    • Bill In Stl

So this is where we are ..... How many politicians have been taken down by this sort of thing? But when it comes to the Obamas they are always above reproach.... I am sure that the corporal meant no disrespect.... BUT there are limits to what is acceptable and what is not ..... Each and everyone of you do this simple test .... ask your spouse if you can go to the ball with a young soldier.... look at their face when you do .... I think you will be surprised. This is not about the first lady.. .this is about a married woman .... she is still that no matter what else you attach to her as a title.

December 17, 2011 at 9:39 pm |
  14. MAnn

Take the POTUS and make them all Shut up.

She is Classy and Elegant. Not MOtherly...
    Just take POTUS it is a combo package.... and of story.

December 16, 2011 at 10:07 pm |
  15. BarbC

His invitation was inappropriate. Period. She is the First Lady of The United States, and should be treated with more respect. In her answer, she certainly treated him with respect, as she and Mrs. Biden has demonstrated with their untiring advocacy for the issues that soldiers face. I don't think that this young soldier meant to disrespect Mrs. Obama, he just seemed to not know any better which is a shame.

December 17, 2011 at 8:02 am |
  16. Linda Stevenson

I hope someone goes back and corrects the original story on ObamaFoodorama.
    Blogger Eddie Gehman Kohan wrote:
    "Leeks, 20, is on active duty, and will be deployed to Afghanistan in the next two months. The Marine Corps Ball, a tradition since 1914, will be next March 24th at the Washington Hilton."
    Kohan evidently has a very limited knowledge of Marine tradition. While there will be a ball on March 24th – The NAVY-Marine Corps Ball – THE one and ONLY "MARINE CORPS BALL" – the Commandant's Ball, instituted by John LeJeune, for whom Camp LeJeune was named – is ALWAYS held in November, in conjunction with the Marine Corps Birthday (November 10th). http://www.usmcpress.com/heritage/marine_corps_birthday.htm

Please get someone to fix that story ASAP! It's embarrassing to have a blog even remotely associated with our Commander in Chief have such a glaring (to any Marine) error.
    Thank you!
    Linda Stevenson
    Proud Marine Wife and now a Marine Mom

December 17, 2011 at 8:41 am |
  17. george of the jungle

what a bunch of crap. Are you guys really that stupid.? This is a nice jester . Everyone knows she is married . Why are you trying to make a big deal out of it.? I think our president can handle this one. If he could handle Bin Laudin . Get your minds out of the gutter and be thankful she cares about the troops. All the negative remarks must be coming from our christian right repos.

December 17, 2011 at 10:54 am |
    • BarbC

My objections have nothing to do with her being married. That' s ridiculous. I just think that Mrs. Obama deserves more respect than that. It was not appropriate. I happen to be politically progressive. I do not believe that he would have approached the wife of one of his superior officer and asked her out on a "date" as the media has presented it. That is the test, isn't it?

December 17, 2011 at 7:19 pm |
    • Bill In Stl

Nice try George the word is Gesture ... not jester..... a jester is the fool found at many royal courts .... Oh ... wait ... you may be right and did not know it....

December 17, 2011 at 9:41 pm |
  18. hercurock

It is customary for a Marine to escort the First Lady at times when the President is unable to attend...get your mind out the gutta people..she's old enough to be his mother...speakin of which.. Imagine how proud is mother is going to be..

December 17, 2011 at 11:38 am |
    • steveo

It is customary for a low ranking enlisted man to extend the invite or would that Invite come from Marine leadership? Secondly, who said the Commander in Chief was unable to attend?

December 19, 2011 at 10:21 am |
  19. treetop45

As a "great-grandmother" of one, a grandmother of 6...with only ONE girl in the whole bunch, I would be soooo very proud, to have ofne of my grands ask Michelle Obama to attend the Ball. RESPECT, HONESTY, and downright GREAT UPBRINGING, put this young man, with the utmost INTEGRITY, at the top of my list of CNN Heroes! I think he's fantastic. Lance Corporal, may your journey to Duty, be a safe one, and may the thoughts of coming home to enjoy the Ball, bring a smile to your face EVERYDAY that you're gone.

December 17, 2011 at 12:14 pm |
  20. george of the jungle

steveo you are a real Jerk.

December 17, 2011 at 6:30 pm |

George ,

Not that I care but explain why you think I am a real jerk. Tell me specifically what I said that gives you that impression..

December 17, 2011 at 6:44 pm |
      • jean2009

I think he had a clue your were a jerk...in your post where you stated every other line that.....She Is a married woman!
        Everyone including the First Lady plus that sweet young man, who asked her to attend the Marine Corp Ball, knows she is a married woman. Simply your spin and interpretation of the situation was out of line.

From most of the comments above about what you said, we all seem to have reached the same conclusion..... you appear to be a real jerk.

December 18, 2011 at 6:25 pm |

Jean ,

Yet more unfounded accusation? I don't care about lies told about me Jean. Exactly how does me stating the fact that she is married, racist? I have notice you, George, and Tana have something in common. You say a bunch of stuff and back it up with nothing! No argument and no proof! When challenged, engage in child like name calling! You still have not provided proof that I said ONE negative or if I said ONE thing that was racial! Not ONE THING! I don't I care about your conclusion as you have provided no proof!

me stating the fact she is married had NOTHING to do with S-e-x!, nor race and IF you were honest you would have pointed out the fact your fellow liberal/progressive injected that! Yet you decided to take the easy way out and ignore that and yet decide to project that on me. But I am the one that needs to grow up? Really?

December 18, 2011 at 6:43 pm |
      • NCWriter

She is a married woman. And apparently a cougar.

December 18, 2011 at 7:45 pm |
      • C-Lo

Don't know why I wasted time reading all of the personal attacks here and in the Toys for Tots article, but I did, and I have to agree–Steveo, you are a real jerk. How dare you expect a married woman to be respected as such and behave as such. How dare you challenge the idea that a woman doesn't have the right to kill her baby. How dare you suggest that Liberal and Progressive are the same thing. They are not. Liberal is the mindset, Progressive is the action.

Come on Tana/Tara, George on the Jungle Juice, and psycoannalytic Jean. I'm changing my tune. You're eloquent and logical arguments have me converting. I cannot wait to join you in lambasting people with unfounded personal attacks and hate when someone disagrees with my opinion. It will be refreshing to be able to trash others with unfounded accusations.

Not that Steveo hasn't called each of you out on this, and to no avail, but nowhere have I EVER seen him personally attack anyone on here, unless it is calling them out for poor logic–which isn't personal, it's just trying to get you to THINK.

December 19, 2011 at 12:56 pm |
      • steveo

Thanks for the assist, C-Lo! I never thought calling names was the equivalent of providing facts, proof, or evidence! Since the silence is so deafening, I will move on to the next article or so! Merry Christmas everyone!

December 19, 2011 at 1:43 pm |
  21. Maryellen

God bless our beautiful First Lady, what a class act!

December 17, 2011 at 10:18 pm |
  22. RS, CA

Oh, puke!

December 18, 2011 at 10:44 am |
  23. Papa Rock

Well if it was Newt Gingrichs wife – she would ask this proud young marine if he had a revolving credit at Tiffanys before she would go – then again hes African American so that would immediately dis-qualify him...

December 18, 2011 at 12:08 pm |
  24. NCWriter

Michelle "Cougar" Obama....

December 18, 2011 at 7:38 pm |
  25. mary

The level of intelligence that reads cnn is mind boggling . Perhaps she would just like to actually attend one of these balls ? Perhaps the young man is just offering to escort her . It makes a lot more sense then all the silly ranting about her being married and him being 20 LOL> He is almost young enough to be her son for petes sake . People come down to earth . She accepted a invitation to honor our marines . This is redicules to make a big deal about this young man inviting her .I think he had a lot of guts to do it , and she showed a great deal of grace to accept .

December 18, 2011 at 9:16 pm |
    • steveo

Mary,

A young enlisted Marine just doesn't OFFER to escort the first lady anywhere! That is nowhere close to miltary protocol! He wouldn't dare ask his General's wife out whether she was "famous" or not!

December 19, 2011 at 8:41 am |
      • jean2009

@Steveo You are wrong. He most certainly would have the right to ask a GOH Guest of Honor. Read the 8 page pdf Marine Corps Order 7040.11A dated 4 Aug 2008, which is posted online.

December 20, 2011 at 10:49 am |
      • steveo

Page 3 states:

"(a) Guest of Honor (GOH), Civilian. APF may not be used to fund the messing, billeting, and transportation expenses for a non-active duty Guest of Honor (or their spouse). Support for a non-active duty GOH and spouse will be provided by ticket sales that may be supplemented by NAF funding, if available.

This is word for word (cut and paste). It mentions nothing about a Junior enlisted member inviting the first lady. As the wife of the Commander-in-Chief, that invite should have been the job of the Command and not a Lance Corporal. The next section describes the procedures for inviting a General Officer, again the job of the Command!

I am not debating the fact she qualifies as a Guest of Honor. I am debating how it was done!

December 20, 2011 at 11:17 am |
  26. Bill In STL

Nothing like asking your bosses wife out for an evening on the town .... all good liberals should do that...

December 18, 2011 at 10:11 pm |
    • jean2009

Explain to me pitifully-uninformed Bill in STL since when is the very formal well-hosted Marine Corp Ball...now to be equated with "a night on the town"?

The whole point of the annual Marine Corps birthday ball is being a fundraiser for the Marine Corps charitable causes. It is a very formal affair, and for it to be well attended and able to raise the required money for their unit to be able to host a ball, besides having funds left for the charitable cause you need well known people to attend ....people who will draw a crowd. The more money raised the more money to donate to their worthwhile cause. Several of the people posting here haven't a clue about how non-profit organizations work.

Maybe for starters you and several others should look up: Marine Corps Ball Frequently Asked Questions at http://www.marinecorpsball.com.

December 19, 2011 at 11:01 am |
  27. C Nevels-washington, dc

Many people are taking this situation out of context. I must commend this young man for having the guts to ask the First Lady of the United States. I also commend the First Lady for accepting to go to such a prestigious event – THE MARINE BALL. Even though the Ball has always been on a high scale, the bar has been raised higher due to the fact that the First Lady is gracing the event with her presence. People across the country and around the world now have the Marine Ball on their radar screen and want to attend, including myself.

December 19, 2011 at 4:30 am |
    • jean2009

Thank you...and I hope they raise a bundle for their worthwhile charities....

December 19, 2011 at 11:05 am |
  28. Lizzie43

From all the comments made here, none of you are in the military, YOU DON't ask your commanders wife on a date or anything else, he will tell you when, where or how.

December 19, 2011 at 10:49 am |
  29. jean2009

I would also suggest reading the 8 page pdf. online Marine Corps Order 7040.11A. dated 4 Aug 2008 which details what each unit holding an annual birthday ball must comply with. The First Lady would qualify on page 3 as The Guest of Honor.

December 19, 2011 at 11:24 am |