Obama calls South Korea's Lee
December 19th, 2011

Obama calls South Korea's Lee

As news of the death of North Korean Dictator Kim Jong Il spread late Sunday, President Obama spoke with South Korean president Lee Myung-bak, who visited the White House only a few months ago. According to the White House, "the President reaffirmed the United States’ strong commitment to the stability of the Korean Peninsula."

Full readout from the White House:

At midnight tonight, President Obama spoke with Republic of Korea President Lee Myung-bak to discuss the situation on the Korean Peninsula following the death of Kim Jong Il. The President reaffirmed the United States’ strong commitment to the stability of the Korean Peninsula and the security of our close ally, the Republic of Korea. The two leaders agreed to stay in close touch as the situation develops and agreed they would direct their national security teams to continue close coordination.

Topics: The News

1. Lizzie43

South Korea don't worry Pres.Obama got your back

December 19, 2011 at 10:36 am |
  2. jerry

and I'll just bet that made them rest easy..hahaha

December 19, 2011 at 2:34 pm |
    • 1FreeWorld

@Steveo,,,

Care to explain the INNOCENTS left
      after the NUKE MISSLEs leave North Korea,
      or the innocents receiving the North Korean Missles?

Which innocents do you want to protect?

The Innocents that are firing the Nukes,,, or the Innocents where the Nukes Land????

If the North Koreans were allowed to
      Farm their Land,
      have Ownership Rights,,,
      have the right to
      Life, Liberty and the Pursuit of Happiness,,,

THEN THEY MAY FIT IN to the rest of the WORLD!

Otherwise, they have to fight each other like they did in Europe and Asia in the OLD CENTURY,,,

Just sain', the Europeans and Asians used to fight a lot! (WINK)

and the Jap-en-ese
      may want to n-u-ke the others!

We just have to sit by and support our Pacific Ally (and our Middle Eastern Ally)

December 19, 2011 at 10:25 pm |
      • steveo

More than happy to answer your question as to what I mean by the innocents in NK. You just eluded to it. The farmer, who just wants to feed his family, the prisioner, who dared challenge the "deity" of Kim by his faith in Christ. I am not talking about the political/military elites! I am talking about those who are prisioners in their own country, Those that normally are the first to die!

I guess my point is it is so easy "Go git 'em" from the safety of Colorado. I 'm betting those in Seoul and in Toyko may see this in different light!

December 20, 2011 at 10:43 am |
  3. Handofdoom

Obama should keep out of thing !

December 19, 2011 at 6:47 pm |
  4. Patrick

Best president in YEARS on foreign policy. Truly successful defeating terrorism, not just talk. He deserves my vote.

December 19, 2011 at 7:27 pm |
    • jean2009

Yes, I think he underrates himself on the job he has done on foreign policy...considering the last administration totally sucked at foreign policy.

December 20, 2011 at 2:43 pm |
  5. truindep

Obama called, oh the world can rest easy , the Obama admin is on it, .....lol

December 19, 2011 at 10:45 pm |
  6. C-Lo

Why didn't he call Kim Jong-Hu? I thought he won a Nobel Prize for his philosophy of reaching out in diplomacy to our enemies. I'm sure Kim Jong-Hu is just another mis-understood 20-something who would be joining the OWS protests if he could get a passport or visa in to the US.

By the way, can a Nobel be recalled?

December 20, 2011 at 9:42 am |
    • jean2009

It is Kim Jong-un.

December 20, 2011 at 3:00 pm |
      • C-Lo

thanks for the correction Jean. I didn't have dear leader 2's name in front of me–but it was close enough.

December 20, 2011 at 6:02 pm |