January 11th, 2012

Obama's night of fundraising

President Obama focused on his 2012 campaign in earnest Wednesday when he returned to his hometown of Chicago to rally supporters at his re-election headquarters and raise some hefty campaign cash.

Not long after arriving in the Windy City, the president stopped by his national campaign headquarters to thank workers and supporters. It was the president’s first visit to the offices of Obama for America. There he addressed a few hundred campaign staffers encouraging them to run “a campaign that embodies the values we're fighting for.”

His second stop: a fundraiser at the University of Illinois Chicago (UIC). President Obama greeted a group of about 800 supporters on the campus. During his remarks Mr. Obama made a point of thanking his outgoing chief of staff Bill Daley, who accompanied him to Chicago, for his service.

Daley, a member of the Chicago political dynasty, resigned his position as Obama's chief of staff just days ago. At the UIC fundraiser, Obama acknowledged he asked Daley to reconsider his resignation but was unable to convince him to change his mind.

During his remarks, the president ticked off his administration's accomplishments, including the auto bailout which he says saved 1 million jobs, passing healthcare reform and ending the war in Iraq.

But the president did take a moment to acknowledge his administration's struggles to the room full of grassroots supporters,"It's been a tough three years," he said. "I warned you it was going to take time."

The crowd at the Gen 44 sponsored event, which bills itself as the under-40 working professional arm of the Obama campaign, was entertained by Grammy-nominated R&B soul musician Janelle Monáe who has played at the White House at the Obamas' invitation. Most attendees paid from $44 to $100 each for tickets. Some VIP $1000 tickets were also sold.

Tonight's other two fundraisers are at private residences for big spending donors only. According to an Obama campaign official, tickets will start at $7500 per person at one; the other, the big ticket event of the night, will cost supporters $35,800 per person to mingle with the commander-in-chief.

All in all, the president's campaign war chest will certainly grow this evening - by somewhere in the neighborhood of two million dollars.

Topics: Chicago • fundraiser • President Obama

1. jerry

But wait! The whitehouse said he has not really thought much about running for reelection!

Jezzz...when did he stop running for reelection, his whole life has been a sales job of sorts.

January 11, 2012 at 9:08 pm |
    • Joa

I agree Jerry. The man always can't pass up to amp up his ego.

January 11, 2012 at 11:22 pm |
      • Trace

uh Jerry, Joa, here's a trivia question for both of you

Please name which president during this past century didn't campaign if they were seeking re-election? Oh wait, neither of you geniuses can actually do that! Let's try this....name the last time either one of you had a clue?

January 13, 2012 at 2:27 am |
  2. FiELD1stSGT

TSAKE NOTICE USELESS:
    "When we get piled upon one another in large cities, as in Europe, we shall become as corrupt as Europe ." - Thomas Jefferson

"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not."
    - Thomas Jefferson

"It is incumbent on every generation to pay its own debts as it goes. A principle which if acted on would save one-half the wars of the world."
    - Thomas Jefferson

January 11, 2012 at 9:21 pm |
  3. Joa

Yep,obama sure for the middle class for those prices to meet him at a fundraisers. He sure like to campaign get other people's money.

I'm sure that money will go great for many propaganda and lying commercial about the mean ole congress and blame people for his failures.

January 11, 2012 at 11:21 pm |
  4. miguel guerra

obama will win again. that is predicted.

January 11, 2012 at 11:29 pm |
    • Lizzie

God help us all.

January 12, 2012 at 12:35 pm |
  5. Fire0bama

While people keep losing jobs and can hardly afford food and gas during his presidency, 0bama aims to collect $1 billion for his relection. 0bama = shameless Chicago mafia/union boss. Fire 0bama in Nov. 2012!

January 11, 2012 at 11:44 pm |
  6. george

Obama/Biden 2012! The superior outfit by far!!!!

January 12, 2012 at 12:18 am |
  7. Hall for Obama

Jerry, you must know he never said he was not running, and he can do two thing at one time. His whole life have not been a sale job those are your lies. I am a woman and I do not want all of my right taken away from me. Obama 2012

January 12, 2012 at 1:47 am |
    • Lizzie

What rights are being taken away. If the democrats/liberals had their way, you would be walking 2 feet behind your hubby

January 12, 2012 at 12:39 pm |
      • Trace

Lizzie, you really need to take your meds. Many forms of unreasonable paranoia can be treated...but you have to try to catch these things early. Now go lay down so you won't further embarass yourself. All this irrational hate for President Obama is SO NOT healthy for you

January 13, 2012 at 2:30 am |
  8. Scott

Should he not being trying to get this country fixed, rather then campainging, Thou the White House says he is not campaigning. Hall for Obama, you must like the goverment giving you everything for free, you also must be paranoid, who is going to take your rights away outside of Obama. He has done a good job of that so far. Frcing people to buy health Insurance, thats taking away my right not to buy it.

January 12, 2012 at 6:45 am |
    • Trace

yep...that's just what we all need to work for, the RIGHT to not buy health insurance. That way when we end up with a catastrophic illness we can go broke / bankrupt trying to pay the medical bills, or simply not pay it and let the taxpayer, other people that have insurance pay for it through increased premiums.

That's such a great idea....total sarcasm and complete idiocy to even think that line of thinking has any merit what so ever

January 13, 2012 at 2:35 am |
  9. acdcguy

He should use all the money to help pay down the debt he created and not waste on an election that he has no chance of winning..

January 12, 2012 at 8:18 am |
  10. Rick McDaniel

It is astounding how much money people will donate to corruption!

January 12, 2012 at 9:11 am |
    • james

It always astounds me too–

January 12, 2012 at 9:45 am |
    • Trace

Where's your proof ? anything like the corruption of the prior administration? torture, dark holding sites in other countries, no bid military contracts, KBR/Halliburton faulty wiring killing soldiers in the shower / while charging the american tax payer $25 a gallon of gas while in Iraq...Or How about Outing a CIA agent, / which is treason, because she and her husband said the WMD's were lies....and the list goest on....Is that corruption?

.... Oh that's right you've got nothing just insults and Fake Faux news lies. Why don't you run back in the trailer before you miss the next episode there sparky

Not going to say much else to you, or demean your intelligence, as there is zero evidence you have any..You are doing a great job of that all by yourself

January 12, 2012 at 9:50 am |
      • steveo

President Obama has awarded a no-bid contract to KBR Inc. for $568 million. That’s more than 20,000 times the maximum he set for a no-bid contract. KBR is the old ...

blogs.dailymail.com/donsurber/archives/13675
        ---------------------
        Obama Awards No-Bid Contract to Iran’s Friends in Brazil ...

Well, it’s a done deal. The U.S. awarded a $355 million U.S.Air Force contract to Embraer. Embraer is owned by Brazil, a country led by a Communist that has close ...

--------------------–...
        Senate Democrat Seeks Investigation of Obama’s No-Bid Contract ...
        More on this pageA top Senate Democrat has requested an investigation into the Obama administration’s awarding a $433 million no-bid contract to the maker of an experimental smallpox vaccine.

Sen. Claire McCaskill, D-Mo., says the five-year contract from the Department of Health and Human Services to Siga Technologies – a New York company run by a ...Search within abcnews.go.comGo to the page
        A top Senate Democrat has requested an investigation into the Obama administration’s awarding a $433 million no-bid contract to the maker of an experimental ...

abcnews.go.com/blogs/politics/2011/11/senate-democrat-seeks...

Here ya go, just needs a little research on your end!

Look! the man is no angel neither is he the devil, he is a man, just lik eevery other president before!

January 12, 2012 at 9:59 am |
      • Trace

steveo,

Its hard to research "blogs" for facts???? come on dude? I'm not saying that Obama hasn't made mistakes but running the most powerful country in the history of the world is going to have miss steps and or mistakes. But how can anyone accuse President Obama of corruption in the face of the actions and most importantly the results of the previous administration.

Its a real stretch to say that Obama is corrupt and in bed with corporate lobbyist and cheats. Is that what you are saying? Granted, ever president does things that could be considered un-ethical or even immoral, but Obama is an angel compared to the last 5 presidents, during our lifetimes....and THIS I SAY IN THE FACE of Obama being the most hated president in the history of this nation....FOR SIMPLY SAVING THIS COUNTRY FROM A 2ND GREAT DEPRESSION – NO LESS...That's real gratitude for ya. And these people call themselves patriotic americans...I say hypocrits is more like it.

January 12, 2012 at 10:14 am |
      • jean2009

@steveo For George W. Bush, Halliburton and Blackwater were permanentl cases of standing no-bid contracts.

January 12, 2012 at 4:07 pm |
      • jean2009

@steveo
        Wrong the from 2001 to 2008 KBR which is a subsidiary of Halliburton received government no bid contracts amounting to $32 billion.

January 12, 2012 at 4:20 pm |
      • Steveo

Trace,

I am not saying the president is corrupt. i will say there has been some actions that have been questionable. The question was about no bid defense contracts, i researched and provided the info. That is all! I am not going to blast him for campaigning and focusing on his re-election bid. that is what politicians do! I will say the administration lied when they claimed re-election is not his focus! then I read postings from those who try to defend that lie.

He is doing what Bush did during the beginning of his 4th year and that is campaign. Again, I take no issue with that!
        He is no angel yet he is no devil!

January 12, 2012 at 5:43 pm |
      • Steveo

Jean2009,

if you have an issue with the numbers i provided, you don't have an issue with me but rather the sources quoted. The question that was brought up was the use of no bid contracts (defense). I just showed that President Obama used them as well. Nothing more, nothing less! Not sure why folks are up at arms about it!

January 12, 2012 at 5:49 pm |
    • jean2009

The first year George W. Bush was president he attended 6 fundraisers for his next election raising $48 million.
      George W. Bush and the permanent campaign trail....by Emily Jane Charnock. The Public Purpose, Vol. III

January 12, 2012 at 4:31 pm |
  11. gotime

Dear Democrats;
    First, let me apologize for all of the so-called ‘Republics & Conservatives’ who come to this site and post filthy, disrespectful comments. We get the same thing on Fox News from a lot of Liberals and I hope you all are as embarrassed by yours as I am with mine on this behavior. It’s sad when people of different political beliefs can’t sit down like grown-ups and have a spirited but respectful discussion.
    Second, I’d like to discuss a fear I have and get your honest perspective if you support Obama. If you spew venom and filth at me I will not reply or be the least bit upset so save your energy. My fear is that the government has grown too powerful and is stepping into my life to tell me what things I should be doing. While I fully understand the need for government involvement enforcing the law, collecting taxes, helping American citizens who have come upon hard times, etc., I still have a fear that we are heading down a path where the government will begin to mandate where I have to work, where I shop, what I drive, etc. I just read the other day about someone proposing that all high school students should be required to take the SAT and apply for college. Now I didn’t look into the facts around this story so who knows if it’s accurate, but I’m seeing more and more of these types of things coming into my life. The government now can mandate and control how I provide insurance for both my one year old daughter and my son due in March. My opinion is that’s my responsibility as their father, and I don’t need any help from the government. I know there are options available to me in the program, but I’d still rather it be my choice entirely, with no outside influence. What if I chose to not have health insurance? But I can no longer make that choice. Therefore, my ask is that you share your perspective in a calm and respectful manner about where you see this country going in the next four years if Obama is re-elected. I’m not looking for a discussion about the health care law, it is what it is. I’m more interested in understanding your perspective on this theme I’ve notice and whether you have any concerns if we keep heading down the path in which government dictates more and more aspects of our lives. Thank you for your time.
    Sincerely,
    Concerned American

January 12, 2012 at 9:40 am |
    • jean2009

Qgotime
      I'm sure the government will be glad to know you are self-sufficient and have already purchased health insurance. It is the people who are not responsible about purchasing insurance and then become ill that costs the rest of us who have insurance higher premiums...due to our insurance and taxes picking up the costs that doctors and hospitals must recoup from someplace. Everyone who purchases insurance is currently paying at least an 8% higher health insurance premium to defray the cost of those who have no insurance.

That is the same as an unseen tax levied on your insurance premium.

Certainly you are not one of those people who assumes the money to operate an sustain the existence of an emergency room comes out of thin air, or that your family doctor can afford to give loads of free care and still see paying patients?

"What the new study suggests, though, is that providers often pass along the cost of treating the uninsured to their insured patients. Its analysis found that families pay, on average, as much as $1,100 extra and individuals $410 extra in health-care premiums each year in order to cover the cost of treatment to uninsured patients who cannot afford to pay their bills. That amounts to as much as 8% higher premiums due to the lack of universal health care in the U.S. "So many Americans think that universal coverage is for the uninsured," says Senator Sheldon Whitehouse, a Rhode Island Democrat who has been a vocal advocate of health-care reform. "This is the hidden tax we all pay for our failure to insure all Americans."

Read more: http://www.time.com/time/health/article/0,8599,1887489,00.html#ixzz1jHczTkwk

Do you think senior truly have a choice about Part D Medicare? Even if they are 65 and retired and currently need no medication if they don't apply for Part D they will be required to pay a monthly penalty for the duration of their life when they do apply. So having good sense a person should realize eventually they will need medication and if they haven't needed it by age 65 they could live a long 30 plus years paying a monthly penalty.

I have lived in Europe and know people who have family in Europe. I have even had exchange students who have European style health coverage. I have not found what they have lacking but actually better than what we have.

Frankly no one should lose everything or declare bankruptcy due to the lack of health insurance. Yet uninsured illness trigger half of all bankruptcies.

January 12, 2012 at 5:05 pm |
    • jean2009

Oh and yes....Obama-Biden 2012 should say it all!

January 12, 2012 at 5:11 pm |
  12. james

Please stay in Chicago–

January 12, 2012 at 9:43 am |
  13. Trace

wow....where were these trolls when GWB was stealing elections? President Obama won fair and square and will do the same this time. With individual donations, averaging about $250 each. If you haven't noticed, aside from people like Warren Buffett, the rich greedy masters are supporting the GOP clown brigade.

You GOP tea people have to be the most ignorant band of haters, whiners and complainers this country has ever seen.

Do you people not get it? President Obama inherited a complete mess of an economy. Personal wealth for the MAJORITY OF Americans was lost to the tune of $4trillion dollars from the 401K's. Do you fools remember GWB saying "we should put social security in the market"????? But Thanks to the hated bailouts of banks and the auto industry, this country is at least headed in the right direction, and all you morons can do is insult the president? For the first time in this country's history, we went to war under "TAX CUTS"...remember Bush saying "the war will pay for itself, go out and shop"????

Oh, you idiots couldn't possible remember or even rationalize why this country went broke....Just Blame Obama for it.

You people are the reason the rest of america should be ashamed our educational system...though it appears many of the posters here barely got through elementary...if that.

January 12, 2012 at 10:04 am |
    • acdcguy

WOW!! that's some funny stuff right there!! Who are you people?? Besides the ones with your hands out asking everything be giving to you!!!!

January 12, 2012 at 10:52 am |
    • Lizzie

Noone could be more hateful, namecalling then our esteem Democrats/liberals. Youre funny, individual donations sounds great when you have Soros calling the shots with moveon.org and remember all the LITTLE donations from the palestinians who even had a website declaring Senator Obama the greatest.

January 12, 2012 at 12:45 pm |
  14. Gurgi

It is amazing how many people want this country to be a European entitlement state. They need to look at Europe and learn from the European governments mistakes. See the examples of how the people live. Do we really want to live like that? I for one do not. I hate having my heard earned money taken away and see it given to lazy welfare parasites that stand around with their hand out, take their welfare check and buy beer, drugs and the like. They are capable of working, just too lazy. As long as the government will give them free handouts, they won't work.

January 12, 2012 at 10:11 am |
  15. Gurgi

Aaaahhhh, so many people with blinders on, keeping them from seeing the big picture.

January 12, 2012 at 10:12 am |