(CNN) – What better place to talk about the increasing tourism in the United States than on Walt Disney World’s Main Street USA?
With Cinderella’s castle as a backdrop, President Barack Obama announced a new strategy to increase tourism to the United States. Hoping it will bring much-needed money and jobs; the president’s plan is set to make it easier for travelers from emerging countries to visit the many iconic sites across the US.
“Look at where we are. We’ve got the most entertaining destinations in the world,” Mr. Obama commented. “I’m here because I want more tourists here tomorrow. I want America to be the top tourist destination in the world.”
The plan, signed as an executive order by the president this morning, is expected to dramatically increase the number of foreign tourists allowed entry into the US. The hope is that millions more tourists will travel around the country and spend money in local economies which could lead to the creation of over a million jobs over the next decade.
“That’s why we’re here today- to tell the world that America is open for business. We want to welcome you and to take concrete steps to boost America’s tourism industry so that we keep growing our economy and creating more jobs- here in Florida and all across the country,” the president said.
The United State’s tourism industry has heavily lobbied the administration for the changes in visa policies. The aim is to help tourists, especially from Brazil, India, and China, decrease the wait-time to obtain or renew U.S. visas. Among other reforms, the plan calls for an additional 100 consular officers in those three countries over the next year.
According to Janice L. Jacobs, the State Department’s Assistant Secretary for the Bureau of Consular Affairs, 90% of visa applications from the emerging countries are processed in less than three weeks. But with less wait-time, the number of visas issued could more than double over the next six years.
Not everyone is happy with the relaxation of tourist visa requirements.
“The President’s proposal flies in the face of the law we’ve had on the books because of 9/11. Only two of the 19 hijackers were interviewed by consular officers, so Congress mandated that all visa applicants be interviewed, with very few exceptions," said Senator Chuck Grassley, a ranking member of the Senate Judiciary Committee which has jurisdiction over immigration policy.
"Once again, this administration is pushing the envelope and using their authority beyond congressional intent, allowing untold numbers of foreign nationals to bypass the in-person interview requirement, and risking national security in the process.”
Lucky for the president, the visit to Walt Disney World also placed him in a key battleground state days before a Republican presidential primary here, the result of which is likely to bring the GOP race to an unofficial close while ushering in the beginning of the months-long general election slog.
The White House maintains that though Disney World happens to be in a state vital to Obama’s reelection hopes, it played no role in the venue selection for the president’s announcement. White House Spokesman Jay Carney was quick to push back at media criticism that the Disney castle was all part of campaign stagecraft.
“It’s obvious when you’re making a tourism and travel announcement that one of the premier sites of U.S. tourism industry is Orlando, so it seems pretty self-evident that you would do that,” said Carney.
But official announcement aside, the political symbolism of the president’s visit to the Sunshine State is hard to overlook, coming just a day after his reelection team released its first campaign ad and a week after a new poll of Florida voters showed Obama neck and neck with likely Republican presidential nominee Mitt Romney.
With 2012 on Floridians minds ahead of the January 31st GOP presidential primary here, it certainly can’t hurt for the president to trumpet job creation and economic growth in the state’s key industry – especially with the legendary Cinderella Castle as his backdrop.
Indeed, Obama just might be hoping the magic of Disney rubs off as he stares down the beginning of a 10-month marathon for a second term.
it's good to hear someone actually offering solutions!
Here's a solution: get rid of Obama.
For who Newt or Mitt? No thanks.
Joey that is not helpful. What is your problem? Do you think the GOP will do any better- they dragged the country into recession with their wars and not monitoring and controlling the banking system enough. What are you doing to improve the situation?
Besides that- encourage Aussies to come to the US. They have a strong dollar and find US cheap. Aussies are amusing and loveable. The two countires speak almost the same language and Aussies are toilet trained.
Joey...go screw yourself...caz that is what you will get if you vote GOP/TP/BP.my guess is that you just don't like the fact like alot of you do that there is a BLACK MAN in the WHITE HOUSE!!!...showing the true colors coming out...Can't sugar coat it any other way.
hey lets not >:O
nail on head!
Thangs have did nothing but get better sense Obama took office, maybe should stop watching Fox news.
You know what the CNN article title would have been if a republican did this? "Republican xxx risking national security for tourism industry"
Its unfortunate that you actually consider that a solution
Obama has ears like Dumbo, Mickey Mouse policies, Goofy advisors, and lies like Pinocchio so Disneyworld fits him quite well. He could have done this 3 years ago but didn't. We ALL know it's just a campaign ploy.
Obama stands in front of the castle if he's king. It's odd he just didn't call for everybody to clap their hands and the jobs will come back. What a farce this guy is!
Obama think ht's king if he is he is King of Never Never Land or some Make Believe World
So, Obama is going to continue taknig us down this road of taxation and spending; even if it destroys the economic opportunities of most Americans for decades for a relative few Americans, including the soon-to-be, amnesty-granted, former Illegals?Why do I believe this administration will destroy this country before they will admit they are wrong and just stop the ___ spending and taxation!The First lady is talking about the "sacrifice" she and mega-rich Opra did on our behalf. You have to be kidding me. The Games will ensure that somehow the Feds will spend even more of our money bailing out Chicago's massive cost over runs! The only sacrifice I see is the massive "re-distribution" of America's wealth on a silver platter. How about cutting taxes and spuring job creation? Oh, that's right, the "shovel-ready" jobs in the "stimulus" plan will fix everything. This arrogant bunch can take solice in the fact they will all be responsible for the destruction of Americans' prosperity, wealth and opportunity. THAT will be their legacy, one of disgrace and disgust.Now America finally knows what happens when you put Marxist-leaning idealists in total power. It must be great fun to gamble with an unlimited expense account. These people should resign for incompetence immediately.Not only will the job los continue since we are not stimulating small businesses and banks are not lending OUR money BACK TO US, but we will continue to be fed LIES about "saving" jobs an unmeasurable statistic.Remember, none of this is their fault. You will hear the same excuse again at hopefully the end of his administration on Jan. 20, 2013. The next President will not have any money or credit.
dakidakov on January 11, 2009 They don't have the uotrtapien but Kia has the same quality as Toyota, cuz think. If Kia were crap and they gave Such a long warranty for everything people will start to return faulty cars and Kia Would go bankrupt from repairing KIas. So i think this warranty Which Kia Gives is to show that they are really confident in their car's Quality. END
Lefty, are you so handsome that you feel you are entitled to criticize someone else's appearance? Most people I know are more humble than you are ... Please, keep your comments germane to the topic. Appearance is irrelevant ... besides, do you really feel it is necessary for potential U.S. tourists who have good professional careers in their native countries to have to show tax returns as part of the interview process? I think you need to do more research before posting extraneous commentary.
if a republican did this, the CNN article would be titled " Republican so and so risking national security for tourism industry"
I think some of you people should stop watching Fox News. if you don't want to hear lies.
As the article says "political symbolism of the pres visit..etc.. He waits three years to push tourist jobs...oh wait, its time to run for reelection... too late obama, you missed the plane.
He can always take a later flight....He's got till 2016....and by the way....the plane carrying all the Republican Candidates crashed........no survivors. What a shame.
First off, you cannot even be civil. It,s NO TO President Obama if you must.
Second, 24 months of jobs added. AJA stalled (rejected) by Republicans ( CBO said it would generate1M TO 1.6M jobs non debt adding) and now this idea! If it was so easy to think of the Republicans you like clearly had the same 3 years to propose, instead they/you Gloat over a pipeline that at best creates 6000 construction jobs for 2 years, and forget the risk to the Acquifier belt that is part of this nations agricultural needs and drinking water needs.
Grow up and take a lesson in civility along with all our politicians.
24 months of job creation?? Since the recession 'officially' ended in mid-2009, over 1 million jobs have DISAPPEARED. Clearly more debt, higher taxes, more regulation and an end to ALL non-solar/wind energy projects will spur businesses to finally start hiring. If we all want bigger gov't fine, let's pay for it -double the taxes on the rich, heck, let's double the taxes of everyone that pays income taxes -oops, that still leaves us around 300BILLION short in covering our budget.... I agree a lot of hate, but we have a nasty reality to deal with and talk of WMDs, Racism, going back to the Clinton tax rates won't solve it.
Obama 2012!!!! & yes Jake, I totally agree w/ u!
The polls NOW show neck-and-neck between President Obama and Willard, but it's still quite uncertain that Willard will be the nominee... and we're about to see a full week-long attack blitz of >10 million dollars bashing Willard, funded by Gingrich and Santorum.
We'll see what the Florida polls show after the cannibal's ball rolls through the state next week.
Makes you wonder why this is being done now, and not a long time ago......
I'm sorry, you must not have been here for the months that Obama spent campaigning around the country, pushing his jobs bill that could have created 1.5 millions jobs with no added debt. You must not have been here when he proposed fixing the infrastructure of the entire U.S. You must not have been here when Obama proposed a cross country train system that would have made traveling cheap and easy. You must not have been here when Obama tried to insource all of our jobs through some regulations. You've missed the last 4 years of your life, and I feel bad for you.
Hey Wolf, for the record, "The Happiest Place on Earth" is DisneyLAND. Disney WORLD is "The Most Magical Place on Earth."
I perfer GOPerLand in South Carolina – Far more entertaining! :-)
Naismith,I think that Obamae2€™s understanding of the world is part of his basis for oppsiong the immoral (according to the Book of Mormon) invasion of Iraq. He understood that the hard part was winning the peace, not the shooting war.I don't have any issue with your portrayal of Bush as inferior to Obama on foreign policy, but your logic here confuses me. I have to ask, did he oppose the war because he saw that neither of those were worth winning then? The usual, and better argument, is the costs/benefits ratio- I think the foresight of a quagmire was more theoretical and less valid an argument, though it proved true. Still, I wonder what we're doing in or will be doing in Afghanistan if Obama has such a clear understanding of foreign policy and takes such a position in these matters. But I know the answer- he's a politician. He's not nearly as gloriously intelligent as people deify him as. I like that about him. Besides, is this world that is backing Obama the same world that cannot come to agreement on who was responsible for 9/11? Someone here mentioned intelligence
Might help if you weren't continually attacking you're biggest tourism customers, the Canadians, with increasingly strict border regulations. No wonder, the Canadians are beginning to stop travelling to the U.S..
I agree. Just the wait and cost for passports for a family to cross the bridge is crazy.We haven't gone across in the years since it became so difficult and probably won't again. We have Canada's Wonderland at least, but I rather it be Disney World.
We in Canada like President Obama so don't speak for us.
My Canadian family and everyone they know continually state how much they detest Comrade Obomba and his policies which further crash the world economy....guess YOU don't speak for the majority of Canadians yourself "samca' :) ...maybe let the other poster have HIS say without any personal attacks so he can exercise his AMERICAN 1st Amendment freedom of speech? Give your own opinion without personally dissing another human being. I know rudeness is the norm North of the 49th, but not here in the States (except in left leaning ones like NY/CA etc. Yeah, "eh"...
You can afford to like him he isn't screwing up your country
of course you like this infanticidal curse that you call obama, he is ruining the usa so canada becomes stronger by default
@KentuckyFried You are delusional. Canadians may or may not like Obama, but they think that the Republican Party candidates are a joke.
I find it really funny that his first campaign ad released today already has 4 fact check Pinocchio's. Perfect!!!!
Obama does nothing that is not enginered to benefit his image and re-election.
Improving tourisim is a good thing. So good in fact he should have done it 3 years ago. Why today in Florida at Disney World? Becasuse it puts him out in front of the press in a good light right before the Republican primary in Florida. Forget about that is could have been creating more jobs starting 3 years ago.
You are right MIKE. Obama never does anything without a ulterior motive to benefit himself. His followers says that
he haven't campaign yet. But he just sly enough to fool people into making his visit a "job" speech and yet make himself look as good as possible with lies for re-election.
And Mitt Romney is a just a regular joe six pack. He would never change his stance on an issue to get elected....Oh, hold on a minute, that's all the guy does. Republicans have nothing these days. All they can do is attack the president. The closer we get to the election the crazier the talk gets. It's really quite pathetic.
Yup, thats election time. What your forgetting is that President Obama has nothing to run on. His "Signature Achievement" Heath Care is still un popular, his handling of the economy is still pathetic etc., so he can't tout his achievements. If we had a fair media he and his surrogates would be forced again and again to defend his miserable record. But, not to worry, CNN and the rest of the Obama lapdog media will run stories like this and not report the bad news while he is running for re-election. So you supporters can sit back while the media attemps to destroy the Republican candidate while protecting their guy. The rest of us will find our information from the many sources who are more ballanced and fair and vote for the American future.
NOV 6TH CAN'T COME FAST ENOUGH.
Don't listen to Rob. He has no clue what he's talking about. I mean, look at GM! The so-called "government takeover" has resulted in GM jumping straight back up to the top of the car charts again! Obama saved millions of jobs and turned everything around for the auto industry. That's more than Romney can say he's done, given his record for destroying countless jobs and making millions in profits at the cost of countless livelihoods.
HAPPY BTRTHDAY TO ROBERT E. LEE. A real American Hero.
He should have been our 17th President.
Impeach Obama. He is a liar & a fraud.
Puff piece. CNN's hard hitting journalism at its best.
When is the idiot going to work and quit traveling the country? I mean there is a job to do isn't there. Damn obama has to go...
I heard they had a close Disney world down while he was campaigning in Disney World .I don't know if this is true or not but if it was is government picking up the lost revenue that Disney World is losing ???
I work at Disney World. Just Main Street and the castle were shut down for the morning. The rest of the park, and the other 3 parks at Disney World were open. Not much of a loss of revenue – more like good publicity for Disney.
If only there was a time machine we could send back to be with Lee.
If only there was a time machine we could send you back to be with Lee.
Your are correct. It was a better time. NO Obama. His family was still in Africa.
Obama in Fantasy Land....priceless
This is an issue that can bring thousands of much-needed new jobs to this country and all you people are discussing is that Obama made the announcement in Disney??? For what I care he could have made the announcement in a restroom. That is not what is important here. Talk about the pros and cons of this proposal. That is what really matters.
They already got the Big Eared Mouse down there, Why did they send a Big Eared Rat???
Odummy in Never Never Land, They told Goofy he could take off this week, 2 idiots is more than they could stand.
Somebody tell the village they can pick up their idiot at fairyland...
Odummy went to pick out his new cabinet members, Sneezy, sleepy, dopey, doc, happy, bashful, grumpy, They will be introduced to brainless, spineless, dickless, clueless, When they return to the Never Never House.
Great! The Amnesty program president swings the door open wide - come and spend some money ...
Stay and have some babies, then the money will all flow back to you in programs for anchor families.
Does Disney World get one of those special exemptions to the Insurance mandate requirement?
Or is that just for Mc Donalds and WalMart, for making Americans obese, and for sending foreign products our way, rather than goods made in the "Good ole U S of A" Way to get us rolling (off a cliff to insolvency)
I see Dolly Parton and Gaylord Entertainment plan to build a new Nashville theme park; the gulf coast says tourism has had the best summer in years; and the President visits Disney World.....oh horror of horrors for the GOP does this indicate the economy is picking up?
To be eligible for a visa waiver under the VWP, the traveler seeking admission to the United States must be a citizen of a country that has been designated by the United States Secretary of Homeland Security, in consultation with the Secretary of State, as a "program country". Permanent residents of designated countries who are not also citizens of a designated country do not qualify for a visa waiver. The criteria for designation as program countries are specified in Section 217 (c) of the Immigration and Nationality Act (Title 8 U.S.C. §1187). The criteria stress passport security and a very low nonimmigrant visa refusal rate: not more than 3% as specified in Section 217 (c)(2)(A) of the Immigration and Nationality Act, as well as ongoing compliance with the immigration law of the United States
Obuma and court jester Biden would have a very popular comedy routine
What have the GOP congress done to help anything get done. they say "no" to everything. What idiots voted in a congress that is so one sided.
The President is not a dictator and can not do anything without a whole lot of other people, checks and balances and in this congress obstructions. There was hope that the way government does business would change but it hasn't.
Bush got support for the Afghanistan and Iraq wars-( Obama voted against IraQ war)- where has that taken us. Wasted millions of dollars- wasted and lost lives on all sides. Is Iraq any better off. Is Afghanistan going to be able to stop take over by the Taliban when US leaves there.
The US economy has been deteriortaing for some time- China does all the manufacturing teh US used to do. The US car industry was/is too slow to change the cars it makes and no-one outside the US wants the big gas guzzlers.
Why would we want a President ( potential) like Mitt Romney who made his money off the back of buying and selling other people's businesses. He pays 15% tax- are you kidding?? He ( and all the other candidates) make hundreds of thousands giving speeches- who does that benefit???
If Obama doesn't get a second term – at least he had ago. He is the most intelligent, honourable and moral president we have had in two generations.
Why doesn't US have a health sytem where everyone pays a% of theri income to get basic health cover- say 1.5% and the really disadvantaged looked after. No-one should die becasue they can't get health /medical services.
Very well said, maddie. beside our President Obama has been trying to repair the damages done by Bush/Republicans. It costs to change directions.
Every country here in Europe ( Asia too) is looking forward to seeing our President Obama next visit. We are proud to show we are Americans here in Europe. Not like during Bush 8- year, we were told to say we are Canadians and to keep a low profile. Obama/Biden 2012.
One sided, well that would be the Nancy controlled Congress, and the Harry controlled Senate. I guess you forgot that they controlled both houses and the White House, and all they were immersed in passing was that Abortion of a health care, they could have been productive and worked on getting the unemployed jobs in the private sector, but that would have meant that they would have to compromise with what they hate the most the capital markets, so thanks to their actions there are more people out of work, there are more people losing their houses. But that's what the voters wanted when they went to the polls in 2008. Thank goodness I had some foresight to see what this was all about and made it so that it would not affect me and my family.
I was born and raised in Orlando before Disney's world was built in Florida.
During the 1960s Disney crept in with another name to purchased land at a cheap price.
And they decided their rules are better than our protections.
In the 1990s, many learned that Disney has power with congress when this private company decided the copyright laws would have an effect on their cartoon mouse.
After the 911 attacks, the stocks fell and many struggled just to survive.
Yet the president's brother Jeb Bush decided to make visiting the theme parks a main priority.
Today Obama presented his illustrious speech at Disney in Orlando.
When will this complacent nation realize, "The centralized Florida tumor is really a great devouring delusional rat".
70% of American Voters Disagree With Obama – Favor Increased Access to Oil and Gas Resources
Posted on Thursday, January 19, 2012, 4:34 PM
US gas prices at the pump have doubled since the Obama Inauguration in 2009.
70% of American voters disagree with Barack Obama and favor increased access to oil and gas resources.
Seventy percent of American voters favor increased access to U.S. oil and natural gas resources, and similar numbers believe more oil and natural gas development would provide major benefits to the nation, including more U.S. jobs, according to a new poll released today.
John Ralph. The price of Oil is determined by Supply and demand not the President of the US as even if all currently open and usable drilling licenses were exploited ( they are not being exploited despite have been granted in some cases years ago):- and
a) Does not ensure it would all be retailed in America
b) Is literally in total a drop in the ocean of the growing supply needs of the emerging economies especially India and China.
QED the price will continue to rise.
Unless the GOP candidate's motive for being elected president is to execute everyone in America under 130 years of age, then he, or she, or anyone, even someone they just dragged out from under a bridge, would be better than Mein Führer Obama.
The problem for Obama is that Bush’s presidency has begun to recede too far into the past for him to continue blaming his predecessor for the current economic mess. He needs a new culprit — and he wants voters to finger congressional Republicans.
The scandals don’t help any… Either does the failed stimulus… The historic unemployment rate… And he needs to stop bowing.
Fortunately according to Mein Lord Obama's own MSM propaganda ministry he's above it all:
Newsweek editor Evan Thomas: "I mean in a way Obama’s standing above the country, above – above the world, he’s sort of God."
Can't really think of any scandals........The negative effects of Bush will last for decades and it'll be right to blame him for decades. Notice how none of the Republican "candidates" ever mention Buishies name? Wonder why that is? You don't suppose they don't want to associated with what he did, do you? Go back to Germany...they understand all those Nazi slogans there. .........by the way....30% of the stimulus was tax cut......guess you and the Republicans don't like them as much as you say you do. Furthermore, the stimulus kept us out of a depression.
1. Reneged on pledge to filibuster FISA Amendments Act (July 2008)
2. Lobbied for $700 billion Paulson TARP bank bailout
3. Pushed for no sanctions against Lieberman despite his support for John McCain
4. Nominated healthcare company lobbyist Tom Daschle as Secretary of HHS
5. Had neoliberal Robert Rubin as his chief economics adviser
6. Then had the equally neoliberal Larry Summers assume this role
7. Chose the failing upwards Timothy Geithner to head Treasury
8. AIG bonuses and money to Goldman under Obama
9. Doubling down in Afghanistan
10. Delay and reduction of withdrawal from Iraq
11. Moving Guantanamo activities to Bagram
12. Military commissions for some detainees
13. Support for indefinite detention
14. Refusal to release torture photos under FOIA
15. Refusal to investigate and prosecute Bush era criminality
16. Geithner’s DOA economic rescue programs: the PPIP and TALF
17. Minimal help for homeowners and no cramdowns
18. Treatment of Chrysler and GM with bankrupcy compared to bank no fail “stress tests”
19. Kabuki of TARP repayment by banks while still dependent on government credit lines
20. Extra-Constitutional use of the Fed by the Executive for fiscal policy
21. Credit Card bill without usury caps and with 9 month delay for other reforms
22. Business friendly Mary Schapiro named to head SEC
23. Gary Gensler who helped deregulate derivatives named to head CFTC
24. $787 billion stimulus: too little, too late, poorly structured
25. Use of financial crisis to attack Social Security and Medicare
26. The great healthcare non-debate
27. Continued use of state secrets argument in ongoing Bush era cases
28. Use of signing statements, including one to punish whistleblowers
29. Vetting process problems, especially tax related ones
30. Leaving Dawn Johnsen's nomination to head OLC twisting in the wind
31. Eric Holder, failure to reform DOJ, not removing worst of Bush USAs
32. Failure to move against new oil bubble
33. Retention of Bush Defense team: Gates, Patraeus, and Odierno
34. Continued missile strikes inside Pakistan
35. Keeping Bush’s domestic spying programs and adding a new one, cybersecurity
36. Choice of Elena Kagan who favors expansive Presidential powers as Sollicitor General, her subsequent nomination to the Supreme Court
37. Leaving EFCA (to help counter anti-union companies) to wither in Congress
38. Welcoming Arlen Specter who brings nothing to the Democrats into the party
39. Weak ineffective proposals for financial reform
40. Obama wanted John Brennan at CIA but settled for making him his counter- terrorism adviser
41. Chas Freeman with broader Mideast perspective done in by AIPAC
42. Dennis Blair made DNI; failed to act to stop atrocities in East Timor
43. Choice of McChrystal involved in torture in Iraq to head Afghanistan command
44. Obama threat to suspend intelligence cooperation with UK over Binyam Mohamed case
45. Efforts to keep Bush and Obama White House logs secret
46. Playing games with “Don’t ask, don’t tell”
47. Filing a brief to overturn Jackson (access to lawyer) in the Montejo case
48. Not withdrawing Bush brief in Osborne DNA case
49. Egregious brief in challenge to Defense of Marriage Act
50. The Supplemental which made Iraq and Afghanistan Democratic wars
51. Choice of Rahm Emanuel as the President’s Chief of Staff
52. Choice of Dennis Ross as Iran envoy and then his move to the White House
53. Politically embarrassing processes to fill Obama and Clinton’s Senate seats
54. Choice of Bill Richardson, then Judd Gregg to head Commerce Department
55. Reneging on pledge to re-negotiate NAFTA
56. Obama's throwing his pastor Jeremiah Wright to the curb, then reaching out to religious conservative Rick Warren
57. Continued challenges to habeas corpus petitions over indefinite detention, the Janko case
58. The Obama White House website
59. Continuing an ineffective program that Iran can exploit politically
60. Going slow on climate change when there is no time to
61. Not withdrawing a Bush-era amicus brief in the Ricci v. DeStefano reverse discrimination case and supporting a rollback of Title VII
62. Appointment of a CIA General Counsel who doesn’t know if waterboarding is torture
63. Appointment of a DNI General Counsel who doesn’t know if waterboarding is torture
64. CIA delay in a FOIA request concerning torture
65. The influence of Goldman Sachs in the Obama Administration
66. Attempt to keep secret the Cheney interview on the Plame affair
67. Mountaintop removal under Obama
68. Attempt to restrict Congressional notification on intelligence matters
69. Opposition to a second stimulus
70. Another egregious attempt to fight a habeas corpus petition in the Jawad case
71. Continuing charter schools and standardized tests
72. Holder's decision to support a weak, narrow review of torture
73. Re-appointment of Ben Bernanke as Fed Chairman
74. Continuing renditions
75. Politically dubious company was used to vet reporters in Afghanistan
76. Judge vetoes a too weak SEC plea bargain with Bank of America
77. Justice’s argument for making Bagram a new Guantanamo, the al Maqaleh case
78. Defense to turn over databases to poorly controlled fusion centers
79. Obama changes but keeps Bush's Star Wars program
80. Failure to win an Israeli freeze on settlements
81. White House refuses to back its own staffer environmentalist Van Jones
82. Politicized US Attorney in the Siegelman case cleared by Office of Special Counsel
83. Criticism of Iranian nuclear program; support of Israeli nuclear weapons
84. Support for a weakened reporter's shield law
85. Use of the Zazi case to retain broad Patriot Act surveillance provisions
86. Wilner v. NSA, continuing the coverup of warrantless surveillance of communications between attorneys and detainees
87. Attempt to spike the Goldstone report on Israeli-Hamas war crimes in Gaza
88. Slowness in filling federal judgeships
89. Inadequate aid to overwhelmed state budgets
90. Attempting to dodge the Supreme Court deciding whether innocent Guantanamo detainees can be resettled in the US
91. Allowing drilling in the waters off the north coast of Alaska
92. Keeping detainee accounts of CIA torture secret
93. Current FBI manual allows for widespread domestic spying
94. Securitization invalidates most foreclosures
95. Geithner wanting unlimited powers to save large banks
96. Another state secrets defense to conceal domestic spying
97. Circuit Court dismissal of Maher Arar suit
98. Weakening Sarbanes-Oxley and calling it financial reform
100. Inspector General for Fannie and Freddie ousted for investigating fraud
101. Gaming courts to convict Guantanamo detainees
102. White House counsel removed for his principled stands on torture and Guantanamo
103. US seizes mosques claiming Iranian connection
104. Howard Dean removed as head of the DNC
105. Scientist with close ties to Monsanto put in charge of all governmental agricultural research
106. Pesticide lobbyist nominated as Chief Agricultural Negotiator for trade
107. Effort to let some government contractors avoid paying taxes
108. A bad US Attorney nomination for Northern Iowa
109. Hunger in America
110. The breast cancer recommendations fiasco
111. Ongoing confusion and disorganization in the military commissions process
112. Phillip Carter another official in closing Guantanamo resigns
113. Refusal to sign anti-land mine treaty
114. The Ghizzawi case and the legal limbo of "cleared for release"
115. Black prisons at Balad and Bagram
116. Delay in declassifying historic documents
117. Max Baucus' conflicts of interest in healthcare and with his girlfriend
118. Major security breach at a White House party and a ridiculous assertion of "executive privilege"
119. Dana "Pig Missile" Perino nominated to the Broadcasting Board of Governors
120. Cass Sunstein, an anti-regulator in a regulatory position
121. Warrantless for profit electronic surveillance by telecoms and search engines
122. The government sides with torture lawyer John Yoo and attacks Bevins actions again
123. The TSA publishes its security manual online
124. Toxic legal arguments in al Zahrani v. Rumsfeld, yet another Bevins action
125. The Nobel Peace Prize and a neocon acceptance speech
126. Blackwater's involvement in military and CIA assassination and drone programs
127. Congressional Research Service censorship in the firing of Morris Davis
128. AIG writes off $25 billion in debt and sticks taxpayers with the bill
129. The Administration plays hardball to kill an amendment that would lower drug costs
130. A poorly considered blank check to Fannie and Freddie
131. Continuing a Bush botch in the Nisoor Square massacre case
132. Jonathan Gruber, a major defender of Obamacare was also a paid consultant for it
133. A Geithner related cover up of the AIG at par payments on swaps
134. Adoption of stealth signing statements
135. al Bihani, more bad legal reasoning in another Guantanamo habeas case
136. Cutting Medicare and Social Security by deficit commission proposed
137. A 3 year non-freeze budget freeze proposed
138. NASA flights privatized
139. OPR report on Yoo and Bybee watered down and its relation to the Padilla case
140. Government targeting of US citizens for assassination
141. Abuse of informants by ICE agents
142. Obama leaves Privacy and Civil Liberties Oversight Board empty
143. Obama backs firing of teachers in Rhode Island
144. Irish human rights advocate Edward Horgan has US visa pulled
145. Threatened veto of 2010 Intelligence Authorization Act over Congressional notifications
146. Obama Administration intimidation of whistleblowing site: wikileaks
147. Fish and Wildlife Service continues to ignore science on endangered species
148. Senate vacation more important than jobless benefits
149. Government seeks to compel turnover of emails without a warrant
150. Obama goes after an NSA whistleblower: the Thomas Drake case
151. Obama goes after a CIA whistleblower: the James Risen case
152. Weakening Miranda rights in national security cases
153. Advocating the privatizing of public housing
154. Another step in making Bagram the new Guantanamo, the al Maqaleh case, the appeals court edition
155. Massey mining disaster, 29 die because of corporate greed and poor regulation
156. Obama proposal for a line item veto
157. A military commander allowed to use military forces for intelligence operations without Presidential approval
158. Political pandering in sending 1200 National Guardsmen to the Southwest border
159. A sad record on resisting Guantanamo habeas petitions
160. Israel attacks an aid convoy for Gaza; Obama punts
161. A further erosion of Miranda: Berghius v. Thompkins
162. Naming James Clapper, a Bush appointee, to be the next DNI
163. DOJ seeks to protect Vatican in sex abuse scandal
164. Yahya Wehelie, an American exiled without charge
165. Failure to replace National Labor Relations Board members means hundreds of decisions must be reviewed
166. SCOTUS opts for overly broad definition of material support to terrorist groups
167. Speaker Pelosi backstabs Social Security
168. Complaints by government scientists of political interference at Bush era levels
169. Flip flop on free trade agreement with Colombia
170. SEC declares major victory but lets Goldman off easy
171. Private contracting of intelligence continues under Obama
172. Two Guantanamo prisoners to be deported back to Algeria against their will
173. The Shirley Sherrod affair: trumped up charges of racism and a bungled response 174. Whitewash report on Bush era US Attorney firings
175. Despite its record, Blackwater still gets big US government contracts
176. Wikileaks releases government files showing Pakistan involvement with Taliban and admission that things are going poorly in Afghanistan
177. Obama seeks to get access to everyone's web histories without a court order
178. Teacher funding sacrificed to keep Education Secretary Arne Duncan happy
179. State's top Iran hand resigns over Obama's Iran policy
180. Citizens United: validation of unlimited corporate political funding
181. Push to expand US arms sales around the world
182. Project Vigilant, Infragard and "volunteer" corporate spying for the government
183. Obama's approval hits Bush levels in Arab world
184. Effort to pre-empt state environmental lawsuits involving green house gases
185. Justice's Anti-trust division asleep at the wheel
186. Kagan's recusals render her even more ineffective on the Supreme Court
187. Poverty level highest since 1994
188. Courts run interference for corporate violators of international law
189. Warren named to set up but not to run Consumer Financial Protection Board
190. Chief economic adviser Larry Summers leaves; Obama looks for someone even more pro-business to replace him
191. DOJ IG report goes soft on Bush era surveillance against peace groups and other activists; meanwhile the Obama Administration conducts raids against similar groups
192. Move to put backdoors in the internet to facilitate spying and more requirements on banks on international money transfers of any size
193. HHS Secretary Sebelius delays for at least two years required insurance coverage for contraception
194. Americans on Medicaid increased to 48.5 million in 2009
195. Big home lenders suspend foreclosures as their documentation gets challenged in court
196. HR 3808, a bill passed by Congress, to facilitate the acceptance of false documentation by banks in foreclosure proceedings
197. ICE raids and deportations increase under Obama
198. Social Security COLA frozen for second straight year; no action taken
199. Waivers for military aid to countries with child soldiers
200. Big and deserved losses in the 2010 elections
201. 42 million Americans on food stamps at the end of FY 2010
202. No indictments for those involved in the CIA destruction of the torture tapes
203. The Bowles-Simpson Cat Food Commission proposals
204. $3 billion in aid for Israel for a 90 day settlement freeze
205. No change in Democratic Congressional leadership after 2010 election disaster
206. Forced proselytizing still prevalent at US Air Force Academy
207. TSA harassment and violation of the 4th Amendment
208. More TSA idiocy: full body scans and invasive pat downs
209. The response to the 2009 coup in Honduras
210. Use of diplomatic personnel to spy at the UN
211. Fed proposes rule change to Truth in Lending Act to protect bank fraud
212. FCC head Genachowski takes an axe to net neutrality
213. Lieberman and Amazon.com seek to censor wikileaks
214. Pressuring the Spanish government into dropping torture prosecutions against 6 high level Bush officials
215. Neoliberal free trade deal with South Korea at a time of high unemployment
216. Hamfisted banning access to wikileaks by government departments
217. Massive screwup in printing $100 bills
218. Extending tax cuts for the rich in a poor compromise on jobless benefits
219. Dancing boys of Afghanistan paid for by US contractor Dyncorp
220. EPA backtracks on smog standards
221. Former OMB director Peter Orszag goes to Citigroup
222. Obama breaks the Nuclear Non-Proliferation Treaty to supply Israel with nuclear fuel
223. DREAM Act for children of illegal immigrants done in by Senate Democrats
224. DOJ drops investigations of corrupt members of Congress
225. The FBI's Guardian database, another useless, intrusive surveillance program
226. Pentagon weakens rules on contractor conflicts of interest
227. Investigation by state Attorney Generals into foreclosuregate: no criminal charges
228. Obama names Mr. NAFTA Bill Daley as his new Chief of Staff
229. Obama names neoliberal free trader Gene Sperling to replace Larry Summers
230. Executive Order to make regulations more business-friendly
231. Gulet Mohamed: Detention and torture of US citizens by proxy
232. Nelson v. NASA: government can demand intrusive, unnecessary information about its employees
233. Choice of GE's outsourcing CEO Jeffrey Immelt as Obama's Jobs Czar
234. Failure to weaken or eliminate the filibuster
235. Corporate targeting of Wikileaks and liberal organizations
236. Reaction to the popular revolution in Egypt
237. HHS Secretary Sebelius helps states cut Medicaid rolls and funding
238. Petraeus accuses parents not US attacks for burns to children in Afghanistan
239. US general in Afghanistan sets up illegal propaganda program targeting Americans
240. Obama plans to devastate small block grants program for the poor
241. Silence on the Wisconsin labor protests
242. Former Senator Christopher Dodd quickly becomes lobbyist after promising not to
243. Obama reinstitutes sham review tribunals at Guantanamo
244. DOJ colludes with Bush era official Scott Bloch to keep him out of jail
245. The treatment of Bradley Manning
246. State Department spokesman PJ Crowley forced to resign over Manning comments
247. Massive conflicts of interest in David Stevens at HUD and soon to be head of main lobbying group for the mortgage industry
248. Mild reaction to bloody anti-democratic repression in Bahrain and Yemen
249. Torture psychologist appointed to White House task force
250. FBI program which allows them to investigate anyone doesn't work (surprise)
251. In his Libya war, Obama has completed the unconstitutional process of Presidents' usurpation of Congress' power to make war
252. Obama accepts award for transparency in secret
253. Democrats create PACs to receive unlimited contributions from anonymous donors 254. 2011 government shutdown threat as Shock Doctrine
254. The 2011 "great" biprtisan budget deal
255. The OCC deal to cover for banks in foreclosuregate
256. Reshuffling neocons at DOD and the CIA
257. Leak of Detainee Assessments shines light on the weakness of cases against many Guantanamo inmates
258. Geithner shields foreign exchange derivatives from Dodd-Frank regulation
259. Crazy new application for some US passports
260. DOJ wants SCOTUS to allow for GPS tracking without a warrant
261. An industry stacked panel to study fracking
262. SCOTUS attacks small claim class actions
263. SCOTUS okays fraud in financial presentations
264. SCOTUS attacks large class actions and Title VII
265. DOJ's non-investigation of torture produces few results
266. Department of State threatens participants of Gaza flotilla with terrorism charges
267. Detainees now held on ships to avoid judicial scrutiny
268. CIA operating a black site prison in Somalia
269. SCOTUS and DC Appeals Court torpedoing detainee habeas petitions
270. SCOTUS greatly expands warrantless searches; Obama DOJ approves
271. Tapping the Strategic Petroleum Reserve after the 2011 spike in gasoline prices
272. Christine Varney, head of DOJ Anti-Trust Division, goes to law firm that had case before her
273. Senseless 2011 debt ceiling crisis, budget cutting, and attacks on Social Security, Medicare, and Medicaid
274. TSA closes US airspace to Mexican human rights activist
275. DHS guts its unit monitoring right wing terrorism in US
276. "Recovery" benefited corporations, not workers
277. Harassment of a government scientist Charles Monett because his work clashes with drilling in the Arctic
278. African Americans and Hispanic wealth took hardest hit from financial crises
279. Cass Sunstein sitting on labor rules to protect child workers
280. Oil leasing in Gulf resumes
281. Administration pressures NY AG Schneiderman to go along with bogus mortgage settlement
282. DOJ dumps responsibility for its bungled gun running sting on handy US Attorney
283. US ranks 41st in the world in infant mortality
284. White House engages in selective prosecution of Dan Choi over DADT protest
285. COBRA extension ditched
286. Obama spikes EPA ozone limits
287. 2011 Obama fictional jobs plan
288. Contractors cost twice as much as unionized federal workers doing the same work
289. New EPA greenhouse gas limits also being drawn out
290. CFTC proposes ineffectual limits on commodity speculation
291. State Department targets career officer Peter Van Buren for writing critical book
292. Secret Law and the OLC legal justification for killing a US citizen abroad
293. US incomes fall more after recession than during it
294. Another Afghanistan fail: torture rampant in Afghan prisons
295. Bank of America dumps derivative exposure on to the FDIC with Fed approval
296. New rule to legitimize government lying in response to FOIA requests
297. Cronyism and the Keystone XL pipeline
298. Despite pledge, Obama still taking money from lobbyists
299. Secure Communities and deportation as a business
300. The Occupy movement and the attacks upon it
Cant think of any scandals? hmm strong coolaid you been drinkin chum, OK just for starters... solyndra, unions, (GM creditors) fast and furious, obamacare bribes, prosecuting cia agents, kevin jennings, van jones, obamascandalist dot blogspot dot com lists over 300 scandals, wow this country really is going to the dogs when so many people cant see how bad this guy is!!
As a true born American I am VERY DISGUSTED!!! Americans can't leave or even come back into the country with out a pass port. How is this fair to true Americans? ya know the ones that live her and pay taxes !!Not making tourist have a visa?? Does he really think that ALL of them will leave once they got into America .This opens a whole new door for terrorism.I know this is a bad idea and i just hope the rest of the goofs in office see this as a problem NOT a solution!!!
as usual the repos responding have no comments about the artical only nasty comments about our president. Tourism is a great way to help the economy and while the repo idiots are bashing each other he is working on the economy. Comments about the pipe line are not well reserched. Try reading up on the subject. The amount of jobs claimed is about exagerated by 10% .And was not the subject of this artical anyway.
*Article. Not "artical". I think Obama is alright. I like the idea of government aided healthcare (funded is a stretch). But i disagree with Mr. Obama's monetary policies. Sure this might have a slight positive effect on our tourism industry, but how are you going to expect small business to do well when you "tax the rich (200+k net incomes)" and wonder while your dollar is crashing and unemployment is skyrocketing? That is my "issue" with him.
i prefer obama over mitt sat or grinc
ron paul is a good one but something is really iffy about that guy
i feel like he is just telling you what you want to hear what all Americans want to hear
CNN what a whacko slanted photo of the President and the bird next to his eyes .
As for all the angry comments , close your eyes , take a deep breath , relax and think of where those WMDs might be in Iraq.
Then take another deep breath and contemplate why you hate a person who is doing a good job.
Why do you people hate Obama so much ? I think it's because you cant look at yourself s , you cant take responsibility for the mess you created. It's easier to blame a guy who is the American dream , who worked through adversity , who won.
When I travel the world , people speak highly of our president , they speak with respect. Only in America do you hear such hate and distain.
Is it Racism , jealousy , ignorance , greed , arrogance ? PLease tell me why you hate , I need to know ?
no racism has nothing to do with it mr race baiter, the fact that the infanticidal marxist fraudulent failure appears to be ruining the usa on purpose is of some concern however
"infanticidal marxist fraudulent failure "
Jim can you tell me what this phrase means. You really are angry aren't you. Tell us what do you want done. Which of the rich comfortable white male religious hypocrites do you think will help you.
The US has to work at making things the rest of the world wants and needs. There has to be better jobs than selling fast food to each other. Ironically the US has the best science research yet the vast majority of the population is scientifically illiterate. The poplulation is 62% overweight or obese( with no sign this is slowing down). The country is dividing more and more in to the "haves" and Have nots". How can these white male presidential wannabees speak for us. And how can they speak for the majority of women- eg abortion and other female reproductive issues. A woman's sexual life is a health issue not a religious issue.
Obama and his government is not the sole cause of these underlying problems. For the politicians of all levels it is about getting elected and re-elected. So much money wasted on electioneering but the system is set up that way. You don't think Bush was electioneering for his second term.
The other thing that astonishes me is so many people don't want government "controlling" their lives in any way but yet want the government to solve all problems and then blames it when the problems remain.
The US is so frightened of socialism( so called) . We say we want to be free to live as we want. But you know that is not possible. We are all dependent on each other. The GOP says if you can't make it in society we are not going to help you- you help yourselves.
So Jim, others are just as emotional as you but not quite so strident.
Is to forget we are here because republican Bush and Cheney borrowed a trillion plus from China while giving subsidies to corp to sent jobs overseas. Be careful what you wish for and for a change think of all the smart things this president has done, even thought I disagree on some things another republican of the kind who is running will bring more shame to this country as they have done in the past. Newt is a scam artist and they are all greedy servants of the powerful. Too bad in order to survive in Washington one has to play games with the dirty bunch in congress...people are beginning to understand the system is broken and crook and run by money, big bankers and others, only so much you can do. I would like to see some of this idiots commenting have as much balls as this president making decisions...
This should have been done long time ago, but it has been gone far enough. The US should remove visa requirements for Brazil, China and India. There are still people in these countries that have some of their families living and working in the US, but because of the requirement to travel across states to have an interview, they don't even consider, some of them are older. People need to understand that the more people you have visiting this country, there more jobs get created.
But the airport securities stopped many from visiting the US. I know many of my uncles and annts are professors and med. dr. and were told to take off their shoes and belts while flying in the US. It was humiliation to innocent professionals. We need to train our security people better.
This has to be the "Goofiest" moment in the history of this Campaigner-in-Chief. Doesn't this buffoon have any shame!?
I am guessing NOT!
I wonder if this campaign trip was paid for by his re-election campaign money or by the working tax payers. If I had to guess and knowing his type, I would say that the tax payers flipped the entire bill. Donald you should have taken a dump on target.
The campaign was paid by many.
Thanks for travelndeal. really enjoyed and cant forget those days.
113. Refusal to sign anti-land mine treaty.
Clinton and Bush wouldn't sign treaty.
If Americans are allowed to visit virtually any country i nt he world (give or take a few) than the rest of the world should be able to easily visit America as tourists without having to obtain very difficult tourist visas! Just a practical, fair thought.
Now go back and make a similar list for Bush junior, Bush senior, Clinton, Reagan , Nixon, Johnson, Kennedy.etc .All administrations have their argy bargy deals. Remember the president is not a dictator and everything done has huge input from a bunch of competing groups.
Make another list of what you think should have been done and put beside it the reasons it is not done.
Which GOP candidate will do all the things you want??
Neither should Disney be a dictator or control the constitution.
criticize is easy . If they are so damn smart they should run for president. All republican presidents in the last 50 years have created huge deficits and crashed savings and loan and then banking with deregulation.. also grown government and filled jobs with inept cronies. Not to mention built up DOD budget up to 36% of the entire budget,
what a waste of money.
Nice Blog……Honeymoon Tours India.
Hello! dggcked interesting dggcked site! I'm really like it! Very, very dggcked good!
thanks nice and awesome..........
US is very beautiful. Lots of tourist places.