POTUS' Day Ahead: More swing state visits
January 26th, 2012

POTUS' Day Ahead: More swing state visits

President Obama continues his post State of the Union tour through several key swing states Thursday, set to make stops in Nevada and Colorado.  Those stops follow similar events in Iowa and Arizona Wednesday.   Though not considered "campaign events," the president is hitting all the themes he's expected to campaign on in states he will mo doubt trek across many times over before November.

Full schedule:

PST

10:00AM THE PRESIDENT delivers remarks at UPS Las Vegas South about the importance of American workers developing American-made energy to an economy that’s built to last

UPS Las Vegas South, Las Vegas, NV

Open Press

12:05PM THE PRESIDENT departs Las Vegas en route Buckley Air Force Base

McCarren International Airport

Open Press

MST

2:35PM THE PRESIDENT arrives Buckley Air Force Base

Buckley Air Force Base, Aurora, CO

Open Press

3:30PM THE PRESIDENT delivers remarks at Buckley Air Force Base on American energy and the steps the Administration is taking to promote energy security

Buckley Air Force Base, Aurora, CO

Open Press

4:15PM THE PRESIDENT departs Buckley Air Force Base en route Detroit, MI

Buckley Air Force Base, Aurora, CO

Open Press

EST

8:30PM THE PRESIDENT arrives Detroit, MI

Detroit Metro Wayne County Airport

Open Press

Topics: Daily Schedule

1. insight iowa

This President is trying and has tried everything to get us back on our feet with no help from the Republicans. That in itself says more to me as a Republican then anything else. I was upset when I watched his speech the other night and Boehner sat back there rolling his eyes, it was very disrespectful and childish. Obama is correct when he said it's not about Republican vs. Democrat... its about us and our middle class. This Republican will be voting a straight Democratic Ticket in 2012.

January 26, 2012 at 9:48 am |
    • Trace

I am so encouraged there are americans like you, that refuse to support hatred to the detriment on this country. I don't know if you saw Eric Cantor at the SOTU. If looks could kill,, as the saying goes.

I will never understand this overwhelming hatred for Obama, and almost to a man/woman, the Republicans acknowledge his a "likeable guy", and he just appears to have the really nice guy characteristic...the type of person everyone just naturally likes. Obama is smart, deliberate and thoughtful. While he was giving the speech, he had the U.S. Navy seal 6 team on another mission, saving an American and a Dane. The guy walks and chews bubble gum at the same; he could cure cancer today and the GOP/Tea contigent would just hate him for it. These are the reasons, everyone I know, everyone I speak to, everyone I come in contact with, I'm asking to vote straight democratic ticket, so we can give this re-elected president a congress that is willing to work with him to get this country back on track. But again, Thank You for showing something I haven't seen in the Republic Party in the past three (3) years – Patriotism

January 26, 2012 at 10:21 am |
      • John

You do not understand the hatred for BO because it doesn't exist, at least not the level of hatred people like you feel for Bush. I like the guy, but I hate what his policies have done to this country. The mission was completed by the seal team before he spoke. This is the same seal team BO called Bush's killers before he was elected. You libs make things up to tell each other and you think they are true. Good luck with that. Bush could do the same things BO is doing with all the same poor key indicators and people like you would curse him for it. A good example of this, and there are many, is lib king Schultz signing off every night with a "Bush Body count" when Bush was in office. This stopped when BO took office. Gas has doubled, unemployment is 3 points higher, housing in in crisis, banks are not doing well and Fanny and Freddy are as corrupt as ever. But, for some strange reason, the media and BO play these stories down – or simply blame Bush.

January 26, 2012 at 1:22 pm |
      • jean2009

I don't think one person has said they disliked or hated President Bush....other than being incompetent, going to war in Iraq for all the wrong reasons, and bungling the economy so badly as to leave it a monumental mess for someone else to pick up...he is a decent likable guy.

January 26, 2012 at 2:21 pm |
      • jean2009

Highest historical national average price for gasoline May 12, 2008 – $4.21

Price at the pump today...$3.08 where I gassed up.

Freddie and Fanny...for that problem look up the Fig Newton.....Newton doesn't give a fig about America, he just cares about Newton. Wasn't he their consultant telling them what to do?

You can go to iCasualties.org and find the daily body count for the Afghan War; plus you could do the same for the Iraq war until our troops were brought home. I just went to that website and looked at the names of those killed yesterday and today....January 25 and 26.

When the economy finally tanked to the point of it needing the Bush TARP legislation signed October 3, 2008 everyone with a brain knew that the fall out was going to be massive job loss until well into late 2010; before we would see the arrow start ticking the other way. It would take that long for any action put in place to provide jobs. By the end of 2011 30% of the jobs lost were regained.

It took years for this country to dig out of the 1930's depression...it didn't happen overnight.The stock market crashed in 1929 with an unemployment rate of 8.7% in 1930; that depression lasted 12 years. Unemployment rates hit their peak in 1932 and 1933 with a high of 24.9% unemployed.

This can be found at Timeline of the Great Depression.

The war casualty count at:
        http://iCasualties.org/oef/ iCasualties/Operation Enduring Freedom/Afghanistan

January 26, 2012 at 3:06 pm |
      • C-Lo

There is definately anger/hatred toward both, though I think the vast majority of it stems from policy first and some morphs into personal.

I think it only seems worse when it's directed toward the person/party/idea you support. As to Jean's point, I distinctly remember some troll espousing his desire to be the first to spit (or worse) on Bush's grave–If that's not hate, man I really wouldn't want to know your definition!

January 26, 2012 at 6:24 pm |
      • Trace

uh....John, Why do you people have to lie about Lefties hating Bush all with all the other lies? Yesterday, I asked all of my conservative friends at work about this same topic. The overall consensus was, The Left didn't actually Hate Bush, Nor did anyone of the right....We all thought he was just INCOMPETENT......Me personally....I felt sorry for the guy, much the same as I feel sympathy for a special needs child.

The fact is lefties are naturally compassionate people. And we don't hate the intellectual disadvantaged. In fact we will support them, often at the peril of the entire country....e.g. voting to go to war in Iraq on faulty intelligence that Dubya failed to corroborate, or allow a corrupt VP (Cheney) to out a CIA (Plame) for debunking the story that Saddam was seeking yellow cake fiscile material for a nuclear weapon in Africa. Remember ; a number of Dems voted with Bush for that misadventure in Iraq.

Is there any fool out there; believing the Republicans would support Obama in anything? If so, got some prime beach front property in AZ for ya....Living right next door to Jan Brewer

January 28, 2012 at 10:27 am |
      • Trace

Oh John...you are quite misinformed, because the exaggerations that "lefties" hated bush are laughable at best. Nobody, hated that guy....we felt sorry for him, because he was incompotent. We were embarassed of him. He couldn't read too well, couldn't pronounce words, had trouble forming proper sentences, acted like some hillbilly fresh off the ranch in front of foreign dignitaries

Dubya was the 1st president my youngest son ever saw. And I specifically told him that Bush Jr was a good man, but you would need to aspire to study in school alot harder than this president did.

So get over yourself. Nobody hates people like Duyba i.e. the intellectually disadvantaged. I just don't think its in the country's best interest to elect them to the presidency, simply because a bunch intellectual midgets think he's the kind of guy they would like to have a beer with. .....which was, I recall correctly, the overwhelming reason we gave the nincompoop a 2nd term

January 28, 2012 at 10:44 am |
    • Howard

Obama and his self serving propagandists have succeeded in poisoning the reputations of many, in their efforts to eliminate all who oppose him. They would be unable to succeed in their evil, ugly efforts, if not for the blind and stupid complicity of the biased main stream media, and stooges, like the bloggers here, who always demonize his detractors, no matter how true their accusations. Obama is a thin skinned egomaniac, who gets worse, with each measure of additional power he gains.
      Either Mitt, or Newt, would make a million times better President than obama !!!

January 26, 2012 at 12:27 pm |
      • jean2009

You wouldn't know truth if it hit you on the head.

January 26, 2012 at 2:07 pm |
      • John

You really don't think Obama is maybe one of the most thin skinned president we have seen during our lifetime?

January 26, 2012 at 2:11 pm |
      • jerrylax

obamas state of the union reelection speech... had the seals do his dirty work...drug out Giffords to retire...and lied his fool head off. NExt day few to Az to chew out their govenor for what she said in her book about him.. now its clean energy...but he did stop talking about his health care..for good reason. The facts indicate he is finished...and he knows it...thin skinned and angry.

January 26, 2012 at 5:52 pm |
    • John

You are not a republican. Every key indicator is worse now than when BO took office. He hasn't worked, and hasn't wanted to work with the other side of the aisle. Tell me something you heard in his most recent SOTU Address that he hasn't promised before. When you hear the same things year after year after year and none of it gets done – then you are blamed for things not getting done – you would be rolling your eyes also. For BO it has been about Dem vs. Repub since before he took office. Just because he says something doesn't make it true, especially when you have seen 3 years of evidence of him not wanting to work with the repubs. He is supposed to be a leader not a divider.

January 26, 2012 at 1:10 pm |
      • jean2009

I bet she is a Republican....I know a lot of Ohio Republicans that will never vote for one again.

January 26, 2012 at 2:12 pm |
    • jean2009

I happen to be from Ohio and Boehner is rude .....he behaves like a petulant child.

January 26, 2012 at 2:14 pm |
    • Pete

Wow – it's hard to believe that another person was blinded by the useless rhetoric of this soon to be ex-president. This guy is clueless. The fact that he has been trying to work with the GOP and nothing has been happening should prove to you that his ideas are garbage. He keeps talking about the middle class, and yet has done nothing to help the middle class. The guy is all smoke and mirrors with more smoke than anything else. NO matter what Boehner did (and I am not condoning the eye rolling), he is not alone. A lot of people feel that way – he was just caught on camera. Mr. Teleprompter still has no experience and no reason to still be leading this once proud country. Come November, this country needs a new "CHANGE" – one that actually makes sense.

January 26, 2012 at 3:56 pm |
      • Trace

...earth the Pete, time to come in for a landing there buddy! Do you think the sentiment in America is the, in your words, "Obama is soon to be ex-president" I guess you look in the mirror and laugh at yourself because that's all your post, Pure Faux News Comedy. Nobody believes that the current "GOP/Clown Car" of candidates are capable of beating a local Chief Dog Catcher.

Go lay down, with all that wishful GOP/Tea Potty/Faux news drivel , and dream about the hero's=zero's in your party. At some point you'll see that this country is filled with an electorate that for the most 1) Graduated H.S. ...2) Doesn't live in a trailer park....3) Takes the time to seek after electing Smart Leadership (mainly Obama) before supporting the foolish, insane, political mis-speak and lies as promoted by the GOP

January 28, 2012 at 1:17 pm |
  2. Steveo

I see a whole lot of partisan rhetoric but little truth.

The truth is Congress is more responsible for the economy than ANY president

The truth is BOTH Bush 43 and Obama have experienced hatred! The next presdient will too! In fact, all presidents do!

The truth is BOTH parties have spent more time fighting each other than they have spent fighting for us.

The truth is tte housing bubble was started by Graham, Leach, Bliley which was wholeheartedly supported by Democrats and signed into law by Clinton, which means the Dems AND GOP are equally guilty for the mess we find ourselves in

The truth is Bush lead us into 2 wars., BUT the Reid lead Senate voted for it and the Pelosi led house voted AND funded them both. That means both parties are guilty!

The truth is America is in decline and we are more concerned about what party is more guilty than the other?

The truth is we keep electing imperfect people but somehow expect perfection!

The truth is we keep electiing THE SAME people and expect something different!

THAT is the TRUTH!

January 26, 2012 at 4:55 pm |
    • Joey

All civilizations throughout history have risen and fallen countless times. Many are no longer around and many more have long since been forgotten. We started out with a good foundation, then grew and prospered and peaked during WWII and a decade after. Now it's just a steady decline, we really aren't free anymore, we're beholden to the government, you're either paying in, or receiving. Heck, they're advertising free cell phones now for people on foodstamps, SSI, Section 8 or welfare. Of course they really aren't free, those of us that work have to pay for it. Our collapse is imminent, it's just a matter of time. A thousand years from now people will be reading about us and how we imploded from within. I doubt that anyone can turn it around, and worse yet no one seems to want to.

January 26, 2012 at 5:37 pm |
      • Steveo

Joey,

Sadly we are in decline but most are too busy having a family feud (politics) to notice or care!

January 26, 2012 at 8:35 pm |
      • Trace

oh...now we see the GOP/Tea folks want to use history as a guide...."the apocalypse is coming, gloom and doom, the end of life as we all know it, all because Obama is president...Yeah, Obama is causing the down fall of the greatest country ever in the history of the world, all by himself. Yeah....Obama became president just so he could go down in history as the president that completely destroyed the country.....Geesh, you people are pathetic. Any lie, misplaced fact will do ..huh?

January 28, 2012 at 1:24 pm |
    • C-Lo

Keep yelling from the rafters Steveo...maybe one day people will get it.

January 26, 2012 at 6:05 pm |
      • Steveo

C-Lo,

Is it just me or are people more interested in doing what is best for their party rather than their country?

January 26, 2012 at 8:27 pm |
      • Trace

C-Lo and Steveo,

Let me make this perfectly clear, and I'm sure Jean2009 agrees; Having a decent debate and working towards compromise starts with one simple premise.....Both Sides must have a mindset that all compromise starts with mutual respect and that its always give and take. I know, I'm in negotiations every single day on my job. Now.....I somewhat agree that both sides are dug in right now and taking everything personally. But the republicans started this fight with one simple statement "....OUR SINGLE FOCUS IS TO MAKE BARACK OBAMA A ONE TERM PRESIDENT" Guys, ...Steveo...C-Lo...I have never ever found common ground during a negotiation when that is the mindset from the beginning. To openly say you want the other side to fail in complete misery and shame, then the tone for all discussions is already set. And as I said to Steveo in a previous post, if it was wrong...and it was...Where were the honorable Conservatives, the reasonable Patriots of the party in saying "...that person is wrong, and he does not represent this party or its goals for the success of this country" Where were those people? Instead you all just discount that it ever happened or was ever said. And to add to the cowardess, from that point forward, all of your arguments were coached in mistruths and outright lies.

How come your party can't start with being honest first, and working with the other side towards compromise with mutual respect.? And if you say the republicans have...I WILL CALL YOU BOTH LIARS and I would be 100% correct.

January 27, 2012 at 12:51 am |
      • Steveo

Trace,

IIf I said the GOP compromised I would be lying. The issue is I never said that. The issue ifrom wherte I stand is YOU and others like you toss out tea potty and this rethug that! You talk of honor, where is the honor in that? TheDems need the GOP and the GOP needs teh Dem ansd this country need both to do the job they were hired to do. When was the last time you condemned the Dems for anything? Think about that!

What I see is a condemnation of tickle down in one post and then a post bragging that Obama made it from nothing. Yet failing to mention he used tickle down to make it! I will say this again. The Dems and GOP both had many opportunities to change things and BOTH have failed in a major way!

I am all for compromise but there are somethings that will not and cannot be compromised!

The left will not compromise on entitlement spending. Why? That is their core
        The right will nor compromise on military spending. Why? That is their core!
        I will never compromise on my Christian values as that is my core!

Neither party looks hard for "common ground". They are too busy gaining political points with their bases!

You keep brining up McConnell and I keep saying he is wrong! I don't listen to Limbaugh, i don't listen to Hannity, I don't listen to Chris Matthews, I don't listen to MSNBC. I read CNN and sometimes I watch O'Reiily on Fox! I make up my own mind Trace! I don't play follow the leader!

Call me coward if it makes you feel better but I have called out the GOP! I have not seen you do the same on the left! How many times do I need to declare : I don't care where a great idea comes from? In the process of party tearing down party, the country is being torn down. Why? For political point and credit! It is past time for BOTH parties to put this nation first! I am seeing very little of that!

You said the GOP started the fight! My question is who is continuing that fight? BOTH PARTIES!

January 27, 2012 at 9:14 am |
      • Steveo

Trace,

The left will not compromise on ent-itlement spending. Why? That is their core
        The right will nor compromise on military spending. Why? That is their core!
        I will never compromise on my Christian values as that is my core!

Do you really think it is C-Lo and me against you and Jean2009? Do you really think it is the GOP vs the DEMS? If you do and if many others do, This country is toast and you will prove Joey to be correct!

Lastly I am tired of hearing people bad mouth tickle down! It works, but not for those who are unwilling to invest in themselves! ! NOTICE I DID NOT SAY UNABLE! I SAID UNWILLING!

January 27, 2012 at 9:21 am |
      • C-Lo

Steveo hit the nail on the head. I see "calls for compromise" from the left, but no willingness to accept those compromises. where was the compromise with the back room deals? Where was the outrage for calling for Bush to be a one term president? Where was the credit to Bush for saving the country from economic collapse after 9/11?

The only other thing I might point out Trace is that you hear the soundbites through rose colored hearing aides, that all criticism of the right is justified and all criticism of the left is hate. Where is the compromise in that? As Steveo said, there are some things that should not be compromised, and one of them is the push to socialism of this country. Yes, I said it. Nor do I support, as Jean has so often accused me of, a facist gov't. This exposes one of the big problems in armchair politicing–that its all black and white, or more specifically a line graph. The reality is it's more of triangle with totalitarian regimes, needed for communism and facism on opposite ends of that line, with traditional conservatism (i.e. small gov't) on a whole different level of the graph. Just remember historically what the "Don't tread on me" flag represented.

Joey's post about "rights" in this country is a grand example.

January 27, 2012 at 10:11 am |
      • C-Lo

Oh, yeah, before I step off my soap box, don't forget where the "information" of no compromise is coming from–the MSM who is the poster child for Democrat Propoganda. They can slant the stories simply by their wording and positioning. How many times have we heard about how stoic the president is when standing up against the GOP, but when the GOP does it, its labeled obstructionist? How silent has the media been about Reid tabling bills sent to the senate from the house?

I don't disagree with your premise, Trace, what I disagree with is that the media paints this as an issue only with the GOP while not holding the left to the same standards when they utilize the same tactics. It's all semantics.

January 27, 2012 at 10:26 am |
      • Trace

C-Lo, sadly the only way Steveo could reach moderate ears from both sides, would require him point to solutions that actually make sense....And I must apologize, all of those solutions are being proposed by the President, NOT HIS OPPONENTS......Here are two policies the president is promoting; 1) Income inequality; why should Multi-Millionaires pay less in taxes to retire the debts of this country than those more modest earners ...these debts WERE CREATED BY TWO (2) UNBUDGETED WARS....WHY ISN'T THIS JUST COMMON SENSE AND SIMPLE MATH. Oh by the way, the idea that tax breaks for the job creators is a utter shame? Buehler, Buehler, C-lo, Steveo, anyone, anyone? 2) We will spend more than $4 trillion for the two unfunded wars, essentially giving U.S. tax payer money to citizens of countries to build up their countries, but its not a good idea to spend money on this country and to help its citizens is a bad idea? Buehler, Buehler, C-lo, Steveo, anyone, anyone? I wish you luck in defending the GOP theology in debating this point...but the reality is this is why people aren't really hearing Steveo...its not that he's not intelligent, its just that common sense, and simple math beats his arguments every single day of the week. And though he wants to say both parties are at fault, well that may be. But it just makes sense to side with the party that actually has sensible arguments, even though they are not fault-less in the partisan rhetoric...Better and more sensible ideas from the lefties – Those are facts! Fight it all you want, but you are asking people to support foolishness

January 28, 2012 at 1:39 pm |
      • Steveo

Trace,

Didn't Karl Marx also address income inequality? You REALLY want to address income inequality? Then create an environment where people can EARN IT.

Now before you blow a gasket, I am NOT accusing the president of being a Marxist! I am saying that idea is! Think of it this way: Just because I realize it is raining does not make me a meteorologist!

I said before NEITHER DEM or GOP has actually done anything with the tax code! NEITHER ONE!

Let be end this on an agreeable note~ "Job Creators" are NOT creating jobs! Whatever the reason is the simple fact is they are not! I hope we spend money here to help our own! Somebody needs to relay that to our Jobs Czar! GE is STILL moving an entire division to from Wisconsin to China!

Speaking of those unfunded wars the CONGRESS (House/Senate and Dems/GOP) votes in favor and to fund. Yet you STILL want to give the DEMS a pass. Why is that? BOTH PARTIES approved, BOTH parties get the blame or we can just blame the president for everything (including Bush and Obama) Which is it? You cannot have it both ways!

January 28, 2012 at 7:41 pm |
  3. Joey

There used to be a time when "rights" meant personal freedom, as long as you didn't interfere with someone else's freedom you could do or say almost anything you wanted. "Rights" now mean "things" like a right to free birth control, a right to a cell phone, a right to free healthcare, a right to own a home even if you can't afford it, etc, etc. Personal freedom costs nothing, it's dependent on individual conduct whereas the new material rights all cost somebody something. It wasn't even that long ago when we had no income tax at all, no department of education (that was left to the states and localities), etc, etc. Sure, things need to be corrected from time to time when obvious infringements are committed but we always tend to go overboard without ever considering the long term effects or cost. That's supposed to be what the amendment process is for. Public service used to be public "service", but it sure isn't anymore. People say Romney and Buffet make too much money but take a look at the net worth and portfolios of those in the congress and the senate and all of a sudden Romney and Buffet don't look so bad. Short of some major event, the system will only continue the road it's on and eventually collapse under it's own weight, it's just history repeating itself. The same theme has been played out over and over throughout human civilization.

January 27, 2012 at 4:03 am |
    • jean2009

Many of those free items like birth control are a good idea...that is a step in the right direction, and should in and of itself reduce abortions, just like free diabetes testing kits. Free phones for the elderly, low income, and for abused women especially are a good idea...it makes it possible for them to contact family, police and medical services. Many of these live below the poverty level.

To be absolutely honest no where will the Patient Protection and Affordable Health Act of 2009 be free. It requires the purchase of an insurance policy with a monthly premium....just like Medicare B, and the Part D Drug Benefit for which is a monthly paid insurance fee for seniors. In cases where the family income is not enough there will be no deductions....but for most people there will be an insurance premium. Currently there are some who could afford insurance who are abusing the system and getting health care for free in the emergency room. Many times I think they are the ones doing the most whining.

I think you should look up the top 5 reasons for homes being foreclosed and you will find that it wasn't because they couldn't afford the home when they purchased it.

1.) Job loss
      2.) Illness (especially uninsured illness many times for major medical problems)
      3.) not prioritizing bills
      4.) divorce/separation
      5.) unforeseen major repairs due to factors such as: flood, tornado, earthquake, fire.

We made major advancements during the last century. My parents were not youngsters when I was born almost 77 years ago. My mother was born 2 months before the Wright brothers first flight at Kitty Hawk, her older sister rode a horse each morning to teach school in a one room school house. Students were required to purchase their own books which meant some children could not afford to attend school past elementary school. I have my mother's 8th grade geography book the drawings of the earth still did not feature Antarctica.

So maybe you should rethink how far we have come, and why the good-old-days are not exactly all they were cracked up to be.

January 29, 2012 at 5:49 pm |
  4. jean2009

A.) America is not in decline. As a 76 year old, I have heard that line numerous times before. Many of those times it was when we were floundering around looking for the next great thing. It is a period sort of like pausing to catch your breath and survey the situation at hand.
    People said that many times during the great depression, after WWII, and I'm sure it was said after the Civil War, the Revolutionary War. We will always have Dooms Day predictors.

I say our best days are still ahead, all that is needed is saying we can and will do what is needed. That is what this president is about. We need to find better ways than war to spend out money. We actually need to spend a lot of money on education, and infrastructure.

And to those who posted above....FYI this president did not vote for the Iraq War. You can check that out.

Joey ...the reason education is not and should not be totally left to the states is due to the fact that too many of them were and are dismal failures at the task.
    FYI At one time it was illegal to teach slaves to read and write. People could be jailed or whipped in public for teaching slaves and free people of color to read and write in: Georgia, Alabama, S. Carolina, Louisiana, Mississippi, Florida, Virginia, N. Carolina, Tennessee, Missouri... far too many states pasted laws to do that and continued that policy well into the mid-1900's. With their current way of funding they would and are still trying to keep that policy in place.

January 29, 2012 at 12:46 pm |
    • jean2009

Sorry...passed laws.

January 29, 2012 at 5:52 pm |
    • Steveo

Jean,

I never accused the president of voting for the Iraq war. he was still a State Senator from Illinois at the time! There was no way for him to vote one way or the other! You are correct about slaves and reading but that is history (and one we cannot afford to repeat). Take a look at drop out rates in states like Illinois, New York, Jersey, your state of Ohio and the inner cities of other states to include NORTHERN ones! This not a geographical issue and it is not an issue of money either! Money has been poured into schools. Yet drop out and failure rates are still high!

I recently gave a talk on Frederick Douglass. Born a save the man ended up advising TWO presidents and became U.S. representative to both the Dominican Republic AND Haiti. Keep in mind he was born into slavery! He accomplished what he did because he took his education seriously! Nobody I know and none of the young men I talked to where born slaves! Not one! The major malfunction is we think the answer to everything is to throw more money at it. The problem is manifold: Students (its their education, they have to be serious about it), teachers (there are some bad ones out there)!, unions (fighting hard to retain the and ones), community (not helping teachers, parents, or students), parents (should be the enforcers).!

So what's wrong with my analysis: We don't live in a perfect world. Families are not intact like they used to be.
      So what is the answer? Magnet schools? home schools? Getting rid of bad teachers? More community involvement?
      Probably all the above. This is not just a money issue! You say we need to spend a lot of money on education. I say: We already do!

BTW America is indeed in moral decline!

January 29, 2012 at 7:01 pm |