Analysis: Same-sex marriage trouble for the Democrats?
March 8th, 2012

Analysis: Same-sex marriage trouble for the Democrats?

(CNN) – Same-sex marriage could become a nettlesome issue for Democrats this election year. On Wednesday the Chair of the Democratic Convention, Los Angeles Mayor Antonio Villaraigosa, said he believes same-sex marriage should be included in the Democratic Party platform but the Obama campaign is trying to put the issue off to another day.

Democrats are divided over how to handle same-sex marriage at the Democratic convention. Six states plus the District of Columbia now allow same-sex marriage, and some Democratic activists are pushing for its inclusion in the party platform. But the president has not come out in support of same-sex marriage and has said his position on the issue is "evolving."

Convention Chair Villaraigosa brought the party debate into public view during a Washington DC event when Politico's Mike Allen asked if be believes the Democratic Convention should include a marriage equality plank. "I do," Villaraigosa replied, "We want to make this the most accessible convention possible. This just isn't going to be open to a small group of people. On two of the four days there will be an opportunity for a much larger representation of people from all over the country to participate in our convention. The delegates will make the decision on the platform but I do support it and certainly have for a long time."

Read the rest of the story on CNN's Political Ticker

Topics: Uncategorized

« Previous entry
  1. Lefty

They may as well add it to the platform along with redistribution of wealth, abolishment of religion and the repeal of the 2nd amendment. Those are things they REALLY stand for.

March 8, 2012 at 8:02 am |
    • dionysusBeer

Oh? And I suppose all Republicans stand for taking money from the poor and giving it to the rich, theocracy, and constant war. See, I can erect strawmen as well.

March 8, 2012 at 8:53 am |
      • John

Actually, you are spewing the typical dem/lib party line. At least you recognize and admit it is a false argument.

March 8, 2012 at 11:35 am |
      • jerry

like obama care took $500,000,000,000 from medicare to buy votes? Do our seniors count? Do you have the ability to think for yourself?

March 8, 2012 at 3:50 pm |
    • Howard

ONCE AGAIN, OBAMA RELIES ON PUBLIC RELATIONS,
      SINCE HE HAS A DISMAL RECORD TO RUN ON ...

Here’s what 0bama has done
      Operation Fast & Furious
      Obamacare
      $5 TRILLION in DEBT first term of 0bama
      Failures of Solyndra, NextEra, Light Squared, Ener1 and numerous others
      Failure to enforce Federal immigration laws
      Failure to approve Trans-Canada Keystone Pipeline
      Failure to accept reforms from Simpson-Bowels (his own commission)
      15.9% U-6 Real Unemployment
      Skirting Congress with unelected ‘czars’ to protect his donors
      America’s Credit Downgrade causes OUR investments to tank
      30% loss in value of OUR homes
      20 years of Rev. Wright’s racism
      Bailing out GM & Chrysler unions’ pensions with OUR taxes
      Highest Food Stamp usage in history
      Out-of-control NLRB giving unions more power so their donations grow
      Suing AZ., and Al. and SC. and Boeing.
      $800B for ‘shovel-ready’ Stimulus jobs that produced NO JOBS
      Dept. of Energy under contempt of court and over 100 investigations
      No Energy Policy…Oil, Natural Gas & Coal production anemic
      No Foreign Policy other than alienate and isolate our allies (Israel)
      Apologizing to Muslims and enemies of the USA
      Acorn / Union cronyism paybacks with OUR Taxes
      1200 0bamaCare waivers to Democrat donators
      Taking No responsibility while Blaming everything else
      AND 0BAMA CAMPAIGNS AND FUND RAISES…BETWEEN VACATIONS

March 8, 2012 at 12:40 pm |
      • jerry

fake selective service card and a fake birth certificate too...and this is proven.

March 8, 2012 at 3:53 pm |
  2. John

The majority of Americans are ok with this. I guess CNN is meeting their quota of this kind of weekly story. But, what may be an issue is we keep getting these "unexpected unemployment claims that are upwardly revised". 362,000 last week up from the week prior which was upwardly revised......
    Are these people really experts if every poor number is "unexpected". It couldn't be that this administration is fudging the number on the initial report so they look good.

March 8, 2012 at 8:44 am |
  3. Lakbima

So what is the evolutionary advantage of homosexuality? It doesn't lead to diversification and diversification is what leads to evolution though natural selection.
    It is amazing to see even so called scientists get very religious about a theory, when the scientific methods calls for a healthy skepticism.
    Said that, I am not a fan of creationism. Even though, so called open minded people are against and fearful (a very high limp/prog tenant) teaching religion. After all, religion is central theme in human history, regardless of their hatred of it (even though this hatred is not condemned, ridiculed or stigmatized by the Entertainment Media Borg-EMB. These people thinking they are so smart is laughable and show their pseudo intellectualism.
    Perry is not a biologist (evolutionary), just demagogue a statement he made, from limited knowledge he has, shows the work of the EMB, assimilating people to the church/synagogue/temple of hollywood, limp/prog collective
    Resistance is futile for the low hanging fruit.

March 8, 2012 at 10:13 am |
    • Lefty

It isn't evolution, it's a lifestyle choice. Jamming things into one way exits cannot be considered "normal" no matter how you slice it. Even mathematically it would be called a "deviation".

March 8, 2012 at 1:55 pm |
      • danieljsf

It's isn't a lifestyle choice. It's one's natural inherent sexuality. You did choose yours, it just is. They didn't choose theirs. It just is.

March 8, 2012 at 4:09 pm |
      • danieljsf

you "didn't" and neither did they. And only bigots think gay people are only way when and if and how they have sex. Straight people are quite capable of "sticking things in the wrong places" as well.

March 8, 2012 at 4:10 pm |
  4. harry jackson

Same sex marriage is going to be a much bigger problem for the dems than they think, and it's going to be a lot more than whether or not it should be included in the platform. The leadership of the party obviously has committed itself to the gay agenda and put itself on the road to oblivion. The real question about the democratic party is which of the third parties will eventually replace it.

March 8, 2012 at 10:28 am |
    • Haley

I am only 18 years of age, already on jury duty. And have absolutely every right too come in on this issue. The whole gay marriage thing, is too now be left alone. I know that This is sincerely driving people too the brink of insanity, and I have a forward notation that USA should stick on the thought of getting out of BUSH'S DEBT. thanks so much. And as well, maybe we do need someone with a hand on the bible, for I have no clue what shall occur, but the world will fall apart, unless there is one side. I know that it cannot be, and that is why. I feel there will always, be good or evil, but pick a party that has nothing too do with rights, but policies. Let Freedom Ring to the extent of Law.

March 8, 2012 at 6:28 pm |
  5. steve

The platform should be about tax policy. The Republicans will run on trickle down economics which has gotten us to where we are currently. Mitt Romney is running on cutting his taxes and increasing the taxes on middle class Americans. Good luck with that Mitt.

March 8, 2012 at 10:39 am |
  6. demwit

I stand with Obama on this one, my opinion on ssm is still evolving. Very slowly...

March 8, 2012 at 10:53 am |
    • John

So you were for it before you were against it before you thought about being for it?

March 8, 2012 at 11:33 am |
      • demwit

I'll get back to you on that one, in about a million years..

March 8, 2012 at 2:09 pm |
    • danieljsf

Mitt, is that you?

March 8, 2012 at 4:11 pm |
  7. judy

howard shows up on all the web sites with his standard blog for the day. He never reads the articals just spews his nasty remarks. Same sex marriage should not be an issue but the repos will put it out front hoping to get the evangelical vote.And it will. It does not seam to matter that the last few people to be outted where repo congressmen. I guess they want all to pray it away. Sometimes you have to look at what is right not at the vote count.

March 8, 2012 at 1:33 pm |
  8. Ex Mea Sententia

In every state, county, and city in the U.S. marriage licenses are issued by government agencies. The licenses establish a legal relationship, equivalent to a contract, between the two persons. Issuance of marriage licenses is not a religious matter. Under our Constitution, religious beliefs and dogma are invalid bases on which to justify discrimination in a civil matter.

Some people do choose to have a religious ceremony and to have a clergyperson sign their license. Religious institutions and clergy have a perfect right to refuse to conduct such ceremonies for any reason they choose. This right is protected under our Constitution and should never be violated.

Those who oppose government issuance of marriage licenses to same-sex couple must find a basis other than religion to justify their position. The problem for them is that if you remove religious beliefs (and by extension personal opinion and emotion) from the debate, there are no logical, rational reasons to prohibit government-issued marriage licenses to same-sex couples (as evidenced by the decision in Perry v. Schwarzenegger).

March 8, 2012 at 1:41 pm |
  9. Steveo

The president'sposition on this issue is interesting: "But the president has not come out in support of same-sex marriage and has said his position on the issue is "evolving."

While I'm not sure what an "Evolving" position is, one thing is clear, As a Christian I believe God's word on this subject is true. Just read Romans Chapter 1:21-32. I realize many folks don't believe! But as I said, as a Christian, I choose to trust God's word!

March 8, 2012 at 2:11 pm |
  10. RealityBites

I say, let them marry!
    Fantasy is always better than reality..

March 8, 2012 at 2:12 pm |
  11. Steveo

The president'sposition on this issue is interesting: "But the president has not come out in support of same-s e x marriage and has said his position on the issue is "evolving."

March 8, 2012 at 2:12 pm |
    • Taylor

That may be true for you, but not everyone in this country is a Christian, and you are oppressing their religious beliefs by imposing yours.

March 8, 2012 at 2:49 pm |
      • Steveo

@Taylor,

Show me were I imposed anything on anybody! I gave a scriptural reference in defense of my beliefs! Did you not read where I stated ..."I realize many folks don't believe...? Did you read right over that?

March 8, 2012 at 9:24 pm |
    • jerry

there fare not enough gay votes for obama to pander to the gays...he really has no moral or ethical standing... he is a marxist to the bone.

March 8, 2012 at 3:51 pm |
      • Steveo

I am really interested in the "evolving position". What does that mean? The foundation of Christianity is believing the Word of God. This is a big issue for a president who pubically claims Christ as his Lord and Savior but is the head of a party that is attempting add this subject as a plank at the convention! His own party is boxing him in!

March 8, 2012 at 4:00 pm |
    • danieljsf

"Evolving" is code for I support it in my heart but can't support it for political reasons.

Gay people deserve equal treatment under the law regardless of one's religious beliefs, which should have no bearing on civic law.

March 8, 2012 at 4:13 pm |
  12. Joe

If same sex marriage was legal, gays and lesbians wouldn't be hiding in hetersexual relationships.., then natural selection could take over and all this will mean nothing in 100 years.

March 8, 2012 at 2:17 pm |
  13. Taylor

If our political leaders were truly honest about the subject and analyzed it from an objective perspective, they would realize there are two viable options: allow state-sanctioned marriage (and the benefits therein) for all couples, interracial or same-sex, or disallow state-sanctioned marriage for all couples. This is the only way to comply with our constitution.

March 8, 2012 at 2:48 pm |
  14. Joey

Evolving just means he hasn't decided yet. If the polls say it's popular, he'll be for it. It's just politics pure and simple, he can't discard the hard left so he hopes this buys him time. It's no different than voting "present" when he was a senator.

March 8, 2012 at 4:32 pm |
  15. helenecha

Like Obamacare, repeal don’t ask don’t tell policy, etc. America is such a freedom paradise that that the proposal of same sex marriage across the country was being done in Obama era was thoughtful enough, right?

March 8, 2012 at 8:51 pm |
  16. A student

You people talk as if all of Americas problems can be solved with a snap of a finger.

March 27, 2012 at 2:49 pm |
  17. Jon from Brussels (Belgium that is)

When I watch the american news regarding same-sex issues I wonder how americans are not embarassed to be so openly discriminating at roughly 10% of their population. Here in Belgium same-sex marriage has been legal for 9 years, since I was 18years old and I remember at school when I was 12 we were tought also about homosexual sex during sex education some collegues laughed (I know I did) but homphobia or any other type of hate has even been tolerated and we were all taught on safe sex and given free condoms. Mixing politics and religion is a big no-no, is so dangerous because when it comes to law making you should never let your personal religious beliefs get on their way otherwise minorities will always be discriminated. Our prime minister (president) is openly gay and nobody cares or even talks about it, not even my 80yo grandparents, so is Iceland's lesbian president. Is a fundamental civil liberty being able to marry whoever you love (unless is a family member). I know if my son would tell me he is gay it wouldn't be a problem for me or anybody within my social circle, is human nature, they are born like this and if there truly is a God out there then why can't people accept he created gays to perhaps deal with overpopulation. So yes, it is weird and scary to listen to politicians mentioning the word God and religion. I can only compare that to speeches in arab countries. So strange for an industrialized country. Even in Argentina, Brazil and South Africa gays can get married. People who have voted denying this basic fundamental civil right to their co-citizens should feel ashamed of themselves.

April 27, 2012 at 9:38 am |