March 21st, 2012

Obama to make first visit to Korean demilitarized zone

President Barack Obama is scheduled to visit the demilitarized zone that splits the Korean Peninsula in two for the first time on Sunday.

His planned visit to the heavily fortified border is part of a three-day trip to South Korea to participate in a summit meeting about nuclear security in Seoul.

Top officials from 54 countries including China and Russia will attend the summit meeting next week, but its message of international cooperation has been overshadowed by North Korea's announcement last week that it is planning to carry out a rocket-powered satellite launch in April.

FULL STORY

1. Sponge-Bob

Having done two tours in Korea, I can tell you the DMZ is a surreal place.

March 21, 2012 at 4:59 am |
    • square pants

Yeah, after 5 tours in Nam, 3 in Iraq and 4 in Afghanistan I tried a little of the surreal too with 8 tours in zipper head land.

March 21, 2012 at 9:31 am |
      • Lefty

Sounds like you're still on tour in your mom's basement.

March 21, 2012 at 1:33 pm |
    • Steveo

Yo Sponge Bob! I too did 2 tours and as a young 20 year old, I did not have the courage to take a tour up there! Do you remember the paper work required to get up there?! I do and that is what scared me off!

March 21, 2012 at 10:06 am |
      • Sponge-Bob

Hey Steveo! My first time was at Camp Humphreys, I was a non-vol for that one but later in my career I volunteered for Osan AB and got a base of preference after that tour even though it was way better than Humphreys. What I really would have liked was to have been at Youngsan, they have everything there including Seoul. I had a great time in Korea, you end up wearing chem gear a lot, but other than that I liked it. Yep it was a lot of paperwork to visit the DMZ and you had to wear the class "a" uniform too. Where were you stationed?

March 21, 2012 at 4:53 pm |
      • Steveo

Sponge Bob,

Osan and Kwang Ju! Enjoyed it much!

March 22, 2012 at 3:38 pm |
  2. Jack

DMZ is def. the real thing. If you cross the dmz line to go into North Korea you will either be shot by South Korea or arrested by North Korea... and good luck coming back. I did a tour in Korea and I am suprised that the president would even visit the DMZ considering the danger on the border.

March 21, 2012 at 6:12 am |
  3. John

Thanks for your service. It is much appreciated.

March 21, 2012 at 6:47 am |
  4. sh

I also thank you for your service and the insight regarding the DMZ.

March 21, 2012 at 10:01 am |
  5. Name*Liz Carter

Despite all of the differences of opinions, I have always found admired, respected, and honored the American Soldier, Marine, Seaman, Airman, and Guardsman. You are the ONES who've been on the 'front-lines', in behalf of all of our existances. Some of us are existing in America very well because of YOU. Some of us are tolerably existing in America. Others of us are just making it one day at a time in America,...but the reason we all still EXIST at all, is because of YOU!! Thank you All for serving America...You are the ones who PROTECT and SERVE!! @Sponge-Bob @Square Pants, @Steveo, @Jack and a personal word of thanks to my late father, William, Army-WW2-Phillipines, uncle Richard-Army-WW2-Phiilipines, uncle Edward, Army- WW2-Germany, 2nd cousin, Joseph, WW2-Navy (Mighty Mo) uncle Estee-Army-WW2 France, uncle Matthew-Army-Korean War, uncle Artis-Army-Korean War, husband David-Marine-Vietnam War, and a host of other military relatives, friends and acqauintances. Thank you all for your continued service to this country. I pray that we ALL will one day reciprocate by living up, as the nation we claim to be, in true and sincere honor and gratitude to all you've lost and sacrificed.

March 21, 2012 at 12:47 pm |
    • Steveo

Thank you Liz. As for me it was either college or the military and we couldn't afford college! One of the best decision of my life! My dad served in Korea during the war, My uncle served in Vietnam and a couple of Army brothers too! Thank you for your family's service and sacrifice too! Our spouses and families sacrificed as well! They kept normalcy at home while we were off and about!

March 21, 2012 at 4:22 pm |
  6. jerry

I'm USMC vietnam veteran... I think obama needs to deal with Iran...he fumbled the ball when they had their uprising (Green uprising, 2009) and then earlier this week sent a video to the Iranian people (how they might have been able to see it...I'll never know) encouraging them to rise up again.... Now come on obama, they know you can't be trusted and for heaven sakes you can't fool them into thinking you support them and their efforts...you (obama) only support your own agenda. I repeatedly see obama saying one thing and doing another...he acts like the Muslims in the middle east...promise and delay action... but then, obama does have Muslim blood flowing through his veins and did write in one of his books he would stand with the Muslims...and I believe him him....but, they don't!

March 21, 2012 at 5:08 pm |
    • Name*Liz Carter

Oooops...I'm sorry Jerry...I admire, honor and appreciate your service to our country, so thank you for your service. However, are you a 'Hollywood Marine'??

March 22, 2012 at 6:39 pm |
  7. Name*Liz Carter

Thanks!...and you are quite welcome Steveo. May the LORD, GOD continue to love, save, keep and use you and your family for the furtherance of HIS kingdom here on Earth.

March 21, 2012 at 8:19 pm |
    • John

Good posts Liz...

March 22, 2012 at 8:52 am |
      • Name*Liz Carter

Thanks John,,, now those were truly from my heart, not my head. I don't have to debate nor argue about that. That is the real truth for me!!

March 22, 2012 at 6:28 pm |
    • Steveo

Liz! Amen and that is my prayer for you and yours as well!

March 22, 2012 at 3:41 pm |
  8. aaron

south korea is proof that intervention can bring about good things. very good things.

March 22, 2012 at 1:34 am |
  9. judy

wow can't believe what a good post everyone so nice. Thanks for your service and info on DMZ. Im sure the president will find it very strange too

March 22, 2012 at 11:54 am |
    • Steveo

Judy, politics aside, I think we all appreciate our brave Soldiers, Sailors, Airman, Marines, and Coast Guard!

March 22, 2012 at 3:44 pm |