Obama makes cover of Rolling Stone
April 25th, 2012

Obama makes cover of Rolling Stone

(CNN) – Seemingly continuing his attempt this week to resonate with younger voters, President Obama professed his admiration for comedian Jon Stewart and the television show Homeland in an interview with Rolling Stone magazine hitting newsstands later this week.

The interview's release comes at the end of Obama’s two day trip to three colleges, during which he pressed Congress to stem off an expected increase in student loan interest rates.  The president also appeared on comedian Jimmy Fallon’s show and participated in a sketch with the popular late night talk show host.  It all appears to be an effort to drum up support with younger voters, a demographic that were among the president’s most fervent supporters in 2008.

“I like The Daily Show, so sometimes if I’m home late at night, I’ll catch snippets of that.  I think Jon Stewart’s brilliant,” Obama told Rolling Stone’s Jann Wenner.  “It’s amazing to me the degree to which he’s able to cut through a bunch of nonsense – for young people in particular, where I think he ends up having more credibility than a lot of more conventional news programs do.”

And the President called Homeland – the Showtime series about a potential domestic terrorist – “a terrific psychological study.”

The White House maintains the president’s activities this week aren’t part of a particular effort to rally support with the youth demographic, even as there are signals the president might not be firing up younger voters the way he once did.

The president also recounted his now-famous rendition of an Al Green song at New York City fundraiser earlier this year.

“I can sing. I wasn't worried about being able to hit those notes,” he said.

Obama also previewed his likely attacks on presumptive Republican Presidential nominee Mitt Romney.

"I don't think that their nominee is going to be able to suddenly say, 'Everything I've said for the last six months, I didn't mean,'" Obama said. "I'm assuming that he meant it. When you're running for president, people are paying attention to what you're saying."

Topics: President Obama

1. Patriot Awesome

Romney has painted himself into a corner. He can either flip flop back over to the left and lose support from the Republican base or stick to all the far right positions he took during the primaries and not get the independent vote.

April 25, 2012 at 2:16 pm |
    • John

It isn't like Obama is bias or anything... This is more deflection. When you have nothing positive to run on it is all about slight of hand. Obama is very good at throwing out nonsense and hoping his party runs with it.
      What do you think Romney said that he can't live up to? He will make an excellent president.

April 25, 2012 at 2:45 pm |
      • Mikeyboy

Spoken like a true Dittohead.

April 25, 2012 at 3:02 pm |
      • CA Liberal

Romney during the last year of debates with his fellow conservatives said a lot of crazy stuff, in order to "out-conservative" his opponents. If he really did all he said, he would knock the USA back into the dark ages. I doubt he would do that. Myself, being a liberal, almost a socialist, I'm not completely happy with Obama. BUT he is better than anything else I see out there.

April 25, 2012 at 4:53 pm |
    • Howard

OBAMA IS PITCHING HIS PROPAGANDA TO YOUNG, INEXPERIENCED, GULLIBLE, IMPRESSIONABLE MINDS.
      UNFORTUNATELY, MANY OF THESE KIDS ARE BUYING INTO HIS SELF-SERVING B.S..

April 25, 2012 at 9:30 pm |
      • jean2009

You keep forgetting that I'm a 77 year old woman?

April 26, 2012 at 3:45 pm |
  2. betterdays

I never thought I'd see the day when Rolling Stone put an incumbent Democrat on the cover during an election year. Will wonders never cease?

April 25, 2012 at 2:24 pm |
  3. Luke,AZ

President Obama is a brilliant leader, his leadership qualities are beyond anything that Willard Robme posseses. Robme is at best a mediocre manager who will do the bidding of the 1%.

April 25, 2012 at 2:39 pm |
    • jean2009

You can bet he will.

April 26, 2012 at 4:07 pm |
  4. Tulsa Ok

You repugs fail to admit even to yourselves, regardless of loud the GOP economy economy the only thing they have really worked on right to life issues. sweep around your own front door before you try to sweep around the Dems.

Obama12

April 25, 2012 at 2:59 pm |
  5. norma jean.

The way the media says the president attempts to resonate with "younger voters"....makes it sound like he's an old man!.. My kids are about his age, and I don't think of them as old. They Do intend to vote for him,however!!!!..I think equally as interesting is the "womens" vote which is without a doubt leaning strongly in Obamas direction. Romney has just about put both feet in his mouth when it comes to women. My friends,family and I wouldn't trust that "FLIPPER" no matter what he says!!!! !Left to the Repubs, women would go back to the days of " Barefoot, pregnant and in the kitchen"!!!!

April 25, 2012 at 3:12 pm |
  6. d

I especially like Foxs fair & Ballanced, 3 SEVERE Right wingers, in the morning This Prez is terrible & Everything sucks & everything blows, no my turn, This Prez is terrible & everything sucks & blows, No my turn, This Prez is terrible & everything sucks & blows, Nomy turn.... etc.. etc. No This Prez is Great & Everything does not suck & blow,...... But you 3 do. Fair & ballanced, You gotta be F–kin kiddin me!!!!!!

April 25, 2012 at 3:15 pm |
    • Steveo

Yo d,

It either that or at MSNBC: My leg tingles! No, no, no my legs tingle more than yours! No, no, no my legs AND hands tingle!

April 25, 2012 at 3:31 pm |
    • Investment Advisor

You're right give me MSNBC for the REAL truth. LOL

April 25, 2012 at 7:02 pm |
      • Steveo

I fully understand why you LOL'd after your statement! That was funny!

April 26, 2012 at 4:37 pm |
  7. carmen luster

car. tx. the women will get obama back in office you will see come nove. you go obama maybe they can get mitt. on ted nugent front cover mag. or rush's radio show or the fox show just somewheres someone will need him. whats he going to do with all our goverment money put it in the swiss bank. i heard he had the key to that bank.

April 25, 2012 at 3:31 pm |
  8. Christine of Vancouver

If you have 1 out of 3 children are hungry, can this president sit still in Whitehous and do his damn job? He is hired by Americans to fix the problem, not party and act like hollywood people. This man named Obama is nothing but a crook! I am angry when somebody promises and have lavishly lived in Whtiehouse, use airforce to do TV shows? Use the airforce damn it to fix the economy!

April 25, 2012 at 3:32 pm |
  9. kayla

i would take president obama on the cover any day to the stiff

April 25, 2012 at 3:49 pm |
  10. demogoat

This president is more concerned about getting something done, than his is about being somebody. A line in the "Iron Lady".

April 25, 2012 at 3:52 pm |
  11. Hank

How awesome! Gotta buy 10 copies for sure, give them to future grandkids.

April 25, 2012 at 4:03 pm |
  12. Sponge-Bob

A lefty on the cover of a lefty mag, what's the big deal?

April 25, 2012 at 4:29 pm |
  13. Steve-Illinois

Maybe he can do High Times next! Can't wait to see his next vote buying scheme!
    A) Free contraceptives for women. (Obama campaign feels women will sell their vote for $9 a month.)

B) Lower interest rates on student loans. (Obama campaign realizes these college kids will sell their vote for lower interest rate, which they will struggle to pay for years if he gets re-elected since they won't get a decent job.)

The me, me, me's are going to "put it" to themselves when they vote for Jimmy Carter.....I mean Obama.

April 25, 2012 at 5:52 pm |
    • jean2009

Actually in the Siena College Poll ranking Jimmy Carter 32nd out ranks George W. Bush 39th and President Obama 15th outranks Ronald Reagan 18th.

Myself, I would rank Reagan and Bush in the bottom two slots and I would bump Carter up several.

April 26, 2012 at 3:44 pm |
  14. jerry

not a big surprise...but obama, gosh do you really think the youth are foolish enough to vote for you again? The young folks are living with mom and dad, can't find decent work, and are buried in education loans... the kids who entered college when obummer took office are now looking for work and it aint funny.

April 25, 2012 at 6:30 pm |
    • Spiraling Agony

and you think THEY, the young people, think that MITT, the guy who thinks Paul Ryan's budget plan is 'marvelous' (which contains letting Stafford Loan interest double again) is the guy to turn things around the guy in their corner?

Mitt has yet to lay out ANY SPECIFICS on job creation, other than the notion of lowering taxes... and we all see how well the Bush Tax Cuts have been as far as job creation, so... yeah. they HAVE been really great for widening that income gap, though....

Obama is BY FAR the lesser of the two evils, he cares about, you know.. folks other than millionaires and such.

April 25, 2012 at 8:22 pm |
    • jean2009

Ah yes Jerky the big time boob! Mittens who plays from the Gordon Gekko playbook is going to solve the problem for young people....NOT! This is the man you chained the kid's dog to the roof of the car.

April 26, 2012 at 3:31 pm |
  15. Investment Advisor

@demogoat...President Obama couldn't hold a shine to MT. Not even close to the same league!

April 25, 2012 at 7:00 pm |
  16. Jerry

Was this unexpected?! The Lame Stream Media and Rolling Stone, of course, are simply trying to get us to support Mr. Obama's failed/divisive policies and lies. The media wants to SELECT our future president for us. This recognition, is coming out about six months or so before the general election?! Come on Rolling Stone! This is really suspect. Try and be a little more honest with the American populace.

We Americans are NOT as stupid as Mr. Obama and his clueless administration make us out to be.

April 25, 2012 at 8:51 pm |
  17. GOP LIES!!!!

Howard...take your meds sit TF down and STFU...You are a paranoid , racist, delusional, need some help in the first order...need to be put away idiot!

April 25, 2012 at 9:40 pm |
  18. nena

We do have to keep in mind that this country's problems were not your easy to fix problems, the problems were enormous when President Obama took office. He told us three years ago that we had a rough road ahead, that it was going to take a whole country of people to get us moving forward again. He did not paint a pretty picture of getting it done fast and by himself. He urged us all to do our best to get our own lives moving forward. Americans are a proud people, we know when we need support but we also know when we need to work hard and persevere in order to succeed. President Obama has governed truthfully and honestly. He will definately get my vote.

April 25, 2012 at 10:08 pm |