Helping the world's hungry feed themselves
May 18th, 2012

Helping the world's hungry feed themselves

The campaign to feed the world's poor will get some much needed star power Friday when Bono, co-founder of the global advocacy organization ONE, arrives to rally leaders of the Group of Eight industrialized nations to take action.

While the crisis in the eurozone will no doubt top the agenda when the G8 leaders gather Friday for a two-day summit, the talks will also tackle the issue of food security and ways to feed a growing world population.

At their annual summit in L'Aquila, Italy, in 2009, leaders pledged to provide $20 billion to fight hunger in the developing world over three years. Since then, U.S. President Barack Obama and Secretary of State Hillary Clinton have embraced food security as a signature foreign policy issue, working to support farmers in Africa and other developing countries to improve agriculture.

Now, those 2009 commitments are set to expire. In an age of shrinking aid budgets with fewer resources available, donor governments can't solve the problem of world hunger alone.

Rajiv Shah, administrator of the U.S. Agency for International Development, said in an interview that major gains have been made in reducing hunger in most of the world, with the exception of sub-Saharan Africa. While he said the private sector has been interested in developing the African market, companies have been reluctant because of corruption and a lack of infrastructure.

Click here for the full story  at CNN's Security Clearance blog

Topics: Africa • Food Security • G-8

Next entry »
« Previous entry
  1. slcurbanist

We never learn. If the goal is to improve food security, improving farming practices alone won't do this. Improving farming efficiency always displaces farmers and drives them to the cities, where there are no jobs. Instead of improving food security, this only provides more food for the people who can already afford it. Instead, if we really want to help, we should be providing capital to the city lenders with the stipulation that they invest in local and export industries which will create jobs and improve technology. When city technology improves, rural technology improves, and the farmers that are displaced in that kind of process actually have jobs in the cities to go to.

May 18, 2012 at 11:52 am |
  2. spanglish

Every country defines their own destiny, Kenya prefer tribal battles and violence, just about the same in all Africa, they don't do anything for themselves only fight for power an corruption.

May 18, 2012 at 1:32 pm |
    • Knickoson

You are hideously ignorant if you believe that. There are extremely complex power structures that control the resources of this planet- Kenyans don't prefer poverty to prosperity, they just haven't been given any choice. Capitalism is, indeed, organized crime- and we are all the victims.

May 18, 2012 at 10:11 pm |
  3. Kool-Aid Police

If every dollar actually went there it would be worth it, but like Haiti a lot of the money disappears before it can help anybody.

May 18, 2012 at 1:32 pm |
    • jerry

what would you expect...bill and hillary clinton were into Haiti up to their necks.. funny we still put up with those two as corrupt and incompetent as they are.

May 19, 2012 at 10:56 am |
      • Name*Liz Carter

You got that right Jerry, but you got just one right!! It was George W Bush and Bill Clinton who rushed over to Haiti to meet the money!! You know good and well the GOP ain't gonna let BIG money get by without them sticking their hands in it!! Bill probably went to watch Bush and of course they decided that both of them would take some for their 'trouble'!! That's what ya'll do!! The folk over there are still living in tents!! It is sad!! GREED OVER PEOPLE reigns all the way over there to Haiti!! Terrible!!

May 20, 2012 at 10:31 am |
      • jean2009

The aid was coming from many sources not just the United States and some of those funds have not been released.
        This site asks the question but then breaks it down in graphs and pie charts. It is also true that even with aid it can take considerable time for things to be put back into place, since everything needed to rebuild, repair, or change must arrive on a ship.

May 20, 2012 at 2:19 pm |
      • Name*Liz Carter

Thanks Jean2009, for the info, but I still believe some stealing has taken place!! I have heard of this same sort of thing happening before. One good example was Katrina!! However, do you hear that Jerry Smarty Pants??

May 21, 2012 at 6:55 am |
  4. Well read

Africa is starving just 50 years after they used to EXPORT food........and 50 years after colonialism ended. Coincidence?
    Hardly...more like corruption.

May 18, 2012 at 2:11 pm |
  5. Sponge-Bob

Bono seems pretty generous with other people's money. If he really cared that much he'd give away all his fortune but it's always easier to talk than act.

May 18, 2012 at 4:27 pm |
    • Name*Liz Carter

Sponge-Bob, What!!!??? And you don't even want the top 1 percenters paying there 'fair share' of taxes like Obama has suggested, but you have the nerve to claim such a stupid notion of him?? You can say the same thing for ALL of the 'Country Loving' 1 percenters, can't you!!

May 20, 2012 at 10:38 am |
  6. jerrylax

we are broke...hey we are broke. And we need to take care of that...now.

May 18, 2012 at 4:45 pm |
  7. DEcember 2012

AMERICA THE GENEROUS. I GUESS THAT'S CHANGING NOW WITH THE ROMNIACS

May 18, 2012 at 8:37 pm |
    • sara

We've already began America the Mean, except when my husband fights America's wars....then we are the "greatest"...Sad isn't it.

May 20, 2012 at 6:10 pm |
      • Name*Liz Carter

Right Sara!! I say the same thing! My husband is a disabled Vietnam Veteran, (USMC) still trying to get his total percentage of disability!! You're right!! When they go to war for these folks country, Oh, everything is all good and hunkydorrie. When they're standing out there on the frontlines for these 'greedy' fools, they are 'SOUL BROTHERS', when they get back to the states, they go right back to being 'niggers'!! Now, they have the 'audacity to even be crying, 'We want our country back'!! Back from the black President!! Well, that tells me that my husband really wasn't over their fighting for his country too! He was just helping 'them' to fight for theirs!! They weren't really fighting for the 'country' anyway!! They were over there gathering up all the dope they could get. Vietnam had asked us for help a long time ago, we didn't want to commit to it until we heard Russia was over there! Certain GOPsters and their sponsors didn't want Russia to end up with all the dope, so they ratcheted up the 'conflict' in the 60s!! They finally started calling it a war waaaay later on!! However, since this is 'their country', from now on I believe 'they' need to fight 'their' own wars!! Stop sending our people to die, lose minds, limbs and souls!! They have certainly become America the Mean and Nasty!! Take your country back, but you are going to have to BUY it back!! Here,...and overseas!! Don't call us,...just buy us OUT!!

May 21, 2012 at 6:48 am |
  8. judy

ahhh all the christian love comming from this post. Makes you get all misty. Forward 2012

May 19, 2012 at 8:54 am |
  9. dreamer96

If global warming is true, and the ocean are going to rise up and flood the low lands...We could always bring some of that ocean sea water inland to our deserts, and at the same time start saltwater fish farms in those deserts, or grow red algae for oil...we could raise frogs off the millions of flies that reproduce fast, and we already know how to raise flies..and then feed the frogs to the fish....If we build a few buildings one for the flies, and one for the frogs, and then the ponds for the fish farms...and we could make fresh water from the salt water and grow crops near the new sea water lakes.....the deserts of north Africa once were covered by a sea...and rivers once ran west to the ocean....We could build channels that start at the coast and flow back into the deserts... a renewable natural food supply is better then truck loads of food, that only last a short time..

May 19, 2012 at 11:23 am |
  10. Name*Liz Carter

That's right Judy!! So much 'Christian' love and obedience isn't there?? There's no GOD in these clowns; this screaming of 'Christianity' is used as yet another point to the weak-minded for control! These loons aren't 'Christians'! These fools are the 'authors of destruction and confusion'! They are spawns of Lucifer! Wolves dressed in sheeps clothing. They will pay for using the Lord's name in vain! They are blasphemers!

May 20, 2012 at 1:09 pm |
    • Steveo

Careful with the judgement there, Liz!

no GOD in these clowns
      These loons aren't 'Christians'
      'authors of destruction and confusion'
      spawns of Lucifer
      Wolves dressed in sheeps clothing.
      They are blasphemers!

\I repeat, careful with the judgement!

You discern this just because foks disagree with you in the political arena?

May 21, 2012 at 1:10 pm |
      • Name*Liz Carter

Steveo, I discern none of what I said just because folks disagree with me in the political arena. I discern the truth of what this hate and "JUDGEMENT" is all about against the President!! You have the gall to tell me to be careful!?! Tell these clowns to be careful to then! They have been calling him any and everything but President Obama! Why?? If you sit there and tell me it's because they disagree with him in the political arena; meaning disagree with his 'politics', then I'm not the only one you need to be telling to be careful!! These clowns have made it a PERSONAL vendetta against this man and it started waaaay back when he even started running for President and a you know it. You and many others seem not to want to claim the truth when it comes to the hatred that has been waged against this man, but I will!! A blind man can see through the smokescreen of 'political' indifference! Ninety-nine percent of these hateful Obama-bashing haters, hate him simply because he is Barack Hussein Obama, President of The United States!! They hated that notion from day ONE! Cowards that they are, they have continued on their hateful rampages and tirades against the President, his administration, his family, his supporters, his official and personal life, and of course his decisions which are ALL just Sooo bad, under the 'covering' of 'politics'!! Do you believe that's what it's all about?? If you do, then I mis-judged you Steveo!! I have the right to say what I feel just like ALL of these other 'JUDGES' on this site!! Have you actually been reading these comments?? Do you mean to tell me that they aren't rooted in hatred, bigotry and racism?? Aren't you ALL 'judging' too?? Aren't you even judging me by alleging that I'm judging?? If that's the case, then the internet blogospheres ALL need to be SHUT DOWN!! For me, I'd like to say that I am 'convicting' the spirit!! That spirit knows who it is, and I know it when I see it, read it and hear it!! It knows I know it, and it just so hates for me to call it out!! I will continue to call it out, and if you or anyone feels you have valid reason to call me out on anything I say, that's your 'judgement' of me!! However, I will continue to call a duck a duck!! I have never been able to take bullying and harrassment of anyone. I take it personal! Especially when I know it's personal! It's just not all about Obama's politics, Steveo,...a fool can see that!! The 'politics cover' is used most of the time just for 'political correctness' sake!! That just makes it look better. That sounds better than just saying 'I don't want a Black Man in OUR Whitehouse'! That sounds better than saying 'We aren't going to let a Black Man tell us what to do'!! 'His wife ain't gonna tell us what to do either'! 'We'll just NOT agree with him on ANYTHING'!! 'Maybe by the time we get through picking apart everything he does or attempts to do, the MASSES will view him as trully inept. That way he will be 'A ONE TERM PRESIDENT'!! Steveo, that is personal!! It's wrong and I see it! 'Christians'??? LOL!! Is that in any form or fashion CHRIST-like?? The GOP and it's enthusiasts have recently jumped on the "Christian" band-wagon, with a demonic plot or plan in mind. I see it and YES, I will be calling them out!! They are racist bigots!!

May 22, 2012 at 6:47 am |
      • Steveo

Liz,

Everyone who disagrees with the president is not a bigot nor hateful. Not everyone! Do they exist? Yes they do. The same is true for Bush bashers and haters! Not all are bigots and haters too! BOTH parties plan and plot to make the other guys a one termer! It happens and is NO surprise! Actually YES I have the gall to tell to be careful. Not everyone on this site (no matter the politics) is a Christian. I am and you said you are! I will not say somebody is the spawn of hell or Lucifer! That is a bit much! You have every right to speak what you will . I am telling you my spiritual walk is more important than ANY form of politics. I am hearing a lot of excuses, Liz! But hey, you have that right!

May 22, 2012 at 8:13 am |
  11. sara

Time for Americans who doesn't use the poor for a political agenda to accept, YES the greatest nation on earth has a hunger and poverty problem. Stop lying and solve the problem with living wage jobs.

May 20, 2012 at 6:09 pm |
  12. Ray E. (Georgia)

Has their been any progress in giving, (And Forgiving) debt to many countries over the decades?? And Uncle Sam has given the Lions Share of the Aid. Nice that "Bonehead" has his hand out for Uncle Sam to give until it hurts.

May 21, 2012 at 6:16 am |