Obama welcomes home Vietnam veterans on war's 50th anniversary
May 28th, 2012

Obama welcomes home Vietnam veterans on war's 50th anniversary

During a visit to the Vietnam Veterans Memorial in Washington DC on Monday afternoon, President Obama celebrated the 50th anniversary of the start of the Vietnam War by honoring its veterans.

Standing before the dark granite wall bearing the names of the 58,282 Americans who died as a result of the war in Vietnam, Obama touched on the nation’s historically contentious relationship with the veterans from one of its most controversial military engagements.

“One of the most painful chapters in our history was Vietnam, most particularly how we treated our troops who served there,” the president said. “You were often blamed for a war you didn’t start, when you should have been commended for serving your country with valor. You were sometimes blamed for misdeeds of a few, when the honorable service of the many should have been praised. You came home and sometimes were denigrated, when you should have been celebrated. It was a national shame, a disgrace that should have never happened.  And that's why here today we resolve that it will not happen again.”

As the first U.S. president who was too young to have been eligible to serve in Vietnam, on Monday Obama became the first president to speak at the memorial wall since 1993.

Promising to “set the record straight” in honor of the war’s anniversary, Obama thanked the men and women who volunteered for service and the prisoners of war, who he said “wrote one of the most extraordinary stories of bravery and integrity in the annals of military history.”

Obama asked all the Vietnam veterans in the audience to stand and be recognized before publically welcoming home a generation of service members that he said was too often ignored when they returned home from battle.

“Welcome home,” Obama said. “Welcome home. Thank you. We appreciate you.  Welcome home.”

In closing, the president called on the country to look back on this controversial war and use it as a lesson of what unites the country rather than what divides it.

“On this anniversary and all the years to come, let us remember what binds us, as one people,” Obama said. “This is important for all of us, whether you fought in the Vietnam War or fought against it, whether you were too young to be shaped by it. It is important that our children understand the sacrifices that were made by your troops in Vietnam; that for them, this is more than just a name in history books.”

1. nvsun

Amen, Mr. President.

May 28, 2012 at 7:05 pm |
    • 1FreeWorld

I bet they had their Bathing Suits on under their Official Out-fits!

They are so in-tune with those that died.

Are those tail feathers under the wreath of flowers?

Moo Chelle needs to Move ON! Go! Make Ex-ercise! Move, Jog, and show the Young Ladies what to do!

May 29, 2012 at 8:11 pm |
      • 1FreeWorld

Where were all the other DemocRATS giving thanks?

Vietnam Vet and DemocRAT, Married-into-Wealth of the great 1%'ers, from Massachussettes. Heinz-Kerry of Swift Boat Fame?

Those guys from Virginia and Pennsylvannia that served in 'Nam,
        who also served in the USA as Senators,
        that want us to go more towards Socialism.

What were their names again?
        (Both Senators from Virginia are leaning left of America)
        (I just can't recall the name of that EX- Silver-Tongued De-vil from Pennsylvania)

Oh, and the Black guy that was Sec of State that voted for Ummm Ummm Ummm,,,,

May 29, 2012 at 8:40 pm |
      • Pete

@1 freetrip to the luney bin,get facts straight hoss,there's more democratic veterans of past wars,than republican chicken hawks.Only about 30% of republicans served in any military service compared to well over 70% democratic service men,many decorated,that's why democrates fight against any military action,prefer international diplomacy.Many of your heroes like Gingrich,Boehner,Cantor,McConnell,Armey,Romney,hell I could go on for hours that were draft dodgers,getting ferloes or just plain hiding out,to scared to serve for this country.Vietnam war,another war created with republican lies,telling everyone it was an international intervention,than after the Gulf of Tonkin conflict,full scale war.So don't go ranting like some idiot ,you're racially motivated and it shows,being ignorent hiding behind a political smokescreen and showing your stupid slide shows,get a life,definitly get some intelligence because you're starting to scare the hell out of everyone here.

May 31, 2012 at 12:55 pm |
    • Mark Glicker

We need to honor these soldiers for the next 1000 years.

May 30, 2012 at 11:54 am |
  2. Lar

The President delivered a terrific speech and all politics aside made a bold statement about Vietnam veterans and how we did the groundwork to ensure no future military veterans would be subject to the same comments or actions on their return home. People can complain that they were not able to get close to the "Wall" during the time this recognition was being accomplished, but they should consider that the Dept of Defense sent out 2500+ invites to Vietnam Veterans through service organizations so that a broad recognition could be accomplished. Although not portrayed in most "Hollywood" accountings most Vietnam Veterans – as the President pointed out – served honorably and many were volunteers. I know the majority did assimilate back into society, but I also know many fell through the cracks. Just do the simple thing say "WELCOME HOME". To my brothers and sisters from the time – I say welcome home and today standing and sitting in front of the wall – hot sun and all – I finally did feel as if I was finally welcomed home and to all those behind the scenes who made this happen – I say Thank you – well done!

May 28, 2012 at 8:35 pm |
    • NAM VET

WHO DO FEEL WELCOMED YOU BACK. NOT OUR OWN CITIZENS, MINE DID NOT RENT TO MY FAMILY BECAUSE
      I WAS SERVING IN NAM. THEY DISREPECTED MY FAMILY AND MANY OF MY BROTHERS. THOSE WHO MADE THE
      US SAFE. WE THAT SERVED, FOR FAMILY,COUNTRY AND OUR FREEDOMS FOR OUR SELVES AND OTHERS ALL
      OVER THIS WORLD. I WILL LONG REMEMBER THE WRONGS OF MY COUNTRYMEN IN THE WRONGS THEY PUT TO
      THE FAMILIES THAT GAVE MORE THAN YOU WILL EVER KNOW.

May 29, 2012 at 3:01 pm |
      • LAR

Hey Nam Vet,
        Who do you think you are talking to when you make these statements "WHO DO FEEL WELCOMED YOU BACK. NOT OUR OWN CITIZENS... THE FAMILIES THAT GAVE MORE THAN YOU WILL EVER KNOW." Don't dis me and don't shout at me with your caps on! I made a statement about the speech – not POTUS! I'm not the only VN Vet who thinks the speech was long over due. Get past your own feelings and look at the bigger picture! Your reference to families – more than you will ever know... Sheezzz get real dude. I had boots on the ground in '70, '71 and was back during the Air Evac in '75! My wife – who is a VN era vet – and I had a total of 47 years in military uniform. I don't claim to have walked in your boots – don't act as if you have walked in my and my families boots – we know what occurred back then and continued for several decades, but we moved on. For the record I did not vote for POTUS, do not subscribe to his parties politics or to his views – that said the speech and what was said by him on Memorial Day in front of the Wall stands on it's own merit. I don't need to read it or hear it online – my wife and I were there. Know to whom and what you are talking about – before you go off the deep end.

May 31, 2012 at 7:33 am |
    • NAM VET

THIS PRESIDENT HAS BETRAYED AND DISHONERED NOT ONLY OUR COUNTRY,BUT EACH AND EVERYONE OF
      US,CITIZEN,VET AND THOSE WHO WOULD WANT TO BE AN HONORABLE CITIZEN.

May 29, 2012 at 3:12 pm |
      • dave

your caps are on, btw

May 30, 2012 at 12:09 am |
      • Mariana

Has a single one of these drug adlded brains figured out yet that there is a radical militant, well funded by Iran, fundamentalist military, hell bent on taking over one of the only democratic middle eastern country? (a pizza w/ pepperoni for the dummy who can name another one) Or, in their warped minds do they think people are protesting over increased price of humus and things to put inside their hookahs and of course, gay marriage?Door Prize! How long before one lefty blames this on Palin?The winner receives all the free coupons they can print on their own computer :-)On a serious note, God Bless our military at our Embassy and the Embassy Staff. I keep expecting, helicopters to land on top of the building and at the same time pray it does not happen.

July 31, 2012 at 5:35 am |
      • Devi

Enjoyable first podcast. As for the whole long-distance thing, I wasn't lonoikg for anyone, but could not ignore the woman who is now my partner. We've been doing the Utah-Manhattan thing for four and a half years now. We go back and forth, do destination trips together (U.K., China, Mexico), and hope to live together next year.Well done.

August 1, 2012 at 11:01 pm |
      • Littlewolf

When coward Barry Soetero, a.k.a. Barack Hussein Obama goes around posing as a supporter of those who served in Vietnam, well, I have a bridge in Brooklyn to sell you. I can read this fraud with my eyes closed, and he and his leftist enablers in the press never supported the men who fought in Vietnam. No matter how hard they obfuscate, they can't can't change Vietnam war history to fit their leftist narrative. From a proud American Comanche Indian, and 2 tour Vietnam veteran, E-co, 51st Infantry (recon) Americal Division, 1966-67-68-69

January 9, 2013 at 11:59 am |
    • 1FreeWorld

Help these women too!

ReThuglicans are so Anti-Women! HA HA HA HA HA

ReThugs cannot even think of Life, Liberty and the Pursuit of Happiness for Young Women!

ReThugsm err Republicans want to stop Abortions against Young Ladies and Gendercide!!!
      Republicans also want to stop Abortions against Young Gentlemen.

May 29, 2012 at 8:14 pm |
      • 1FreeWorld

DOES Anybody here
        have the Videos
        of the Pot-Smoking Liberals in Vietnam?

The Liberals were Drafted into service,
        during the Vietnam War.

Those Liberals wanted to destroy America in the 1960's,
        They HAD to Serve, or Go to Cannada to avoid Arrest.

Those that wanted to destroy America,
        went to Vietnam, and smoked pot and slowed any successful movements in Vietnam.

They did not help America, nor did they help the Freedom Lovers of Vietnam.

They are still trying to destroy America!

Those are the Liberals supported by Bill Ayers and Commie Obummer.

Do not Buy into the Lie!

May 29, 2012 at 10:09 pm |
      • Hose

Hanoi sounds exinctig and intimidating at the same time. 6 million people on 3 million bikes Wow! Can not believe how dangerous the traffic is, but it sounds like you found a system that worked for you. Didn't realize that Ho Chi Minh didn't live in the palace. How cool that it is now a temple devoted to Confucian worship that would have captured my interest. Loved your trip to Hung Gai and visit to Halong Bay sounds absulutely beautiful with its 3000 islands. I hope you are taking it all in and find the trip relaxing before your next big adventure four days from now. And, I hope you've had fun shopping in all the markets. Did you take along a separate bag for all that you bought??? See you soon.Pat

July 30, 2012 at 9:13 am |
    • Tom

I'm a Vietnam Vet, and now a Volunteer at the Wall.Politics aside,a great speach whoever wrote it,hit all the right notes, I'm stayin above the fray.Welcome Home Brother. Glad you had a nice day.

May 30, 2012 at 2:52 pm |
      • LAR

Tom – Welcome home to you as well! Thank you for your service and for volunteering at the Wall.

May 31, 2012 at 9:47 am |
  3. jerry

There is a story in the media today explaining that half of returning veterans today are seeking disabilities. Now obama this is YOUR war and there is something wrong. You said the war will be over on this date and by the way troops if you use restraint we will give you a metal...you have scrambled their brains. Obama is up to his usual tricks...diverting the attention away from his own miserable record and policies... EVERY American should be fed up with the way our troops are being treated and the ensuing media black outs...we need moral/adult leadership.

May 28, 2012 at 10:31 pm |
    • 1FreeWorld

Let's say that I am an Un-documented-worker
      and I was working for DEcember2012
      cleaning his/her home.

He/She paid me my Week's Pay under the table
      (meaning with Cash, un-announced to the IRS)
      and knew when I was about to leave his/her home.

DEcember2012 excused himself/herself for a moment
      and stepped into the bathroom,
      where he/she called Pete to intercept me,
      so that Pete could rob me of my Cash for my Week's Pay,
      that was just paid to me by DEcember2012,
      roughly about 25% of my Monthly Pay,,,
      but I am paid weekly.

DEcember2012 and Pete has a previous agreement where Pete gets to keep 25%
      of any of my money collected,
      but DEcember2012 gets the remaining 75%.

Questions for Liberals,,,,,
      1) Can I report the Crime where Pete robbed me?
      2) How much of my Monthly Payment was stolen, percentage-wise and pro-rated on a days-per-month basis?
      Please give answers for Months with 28 Days, 29 Days, 30 Days, and 31 Days.
      3) If you are a Liberal Teacher and with a Teacher's Union, see if any of this makes sense to you.
      4) How much does Pete make for his, maximum of 30 minutes, efforts?
      5) If Pete calls Jean2009 and shares his methods with Jean2009, how much should Jean2009 pay as tribute to Pete?

May 31, 2012 at 7:39 pm |
      • 1FreeWorld

What are your thoughts about this?

Jean2009, Pete, and DEcember2012?

Secure the Borders?

May 31, 2012 at 7:46 pm |
      • 1FreeWorld

For Extra Credit:

Let's say that Pete robbed me on the 4th day of the month of June, 2012.

I am paid on Mondays.

Calculate how much I actually made, percentage-wise, for the Month of June.

No over-time was paid, even though I worked over-time.

Hint: I have not been paid yet for time worked from June 25th through July 2nd, 2012.

June 4th, 2012, falls on the same day as the full moon.

I will give extra credit for any answer.

Show your work.

Calculate as if today was July 1, 2012.

May 31, 2012 at 9:08 pm |
  4. duce

This is one of the few things Obama got right. It's about time the left admits they mistreated the Vietnam vets, it looks like Obama called Jane Fonda and her ilk all a disgrace. She really ought to be in jail.

May 29, 2012 at 5:11 am |
    • jerry

no...he is pining for votes, this is old news and as a marine vietnam combat veteran I take this for what it is a cheep little political trick by a cheep little man who couldn't tell the truth if you paid him to do it.

May 29, 2012 at 9:47 pm |
  5. jon

Just one problem...if Obama was old enough he would have been one of the ones protesting when Vietnam Vets came home

May 29, 2012 at 6:25 am |
  6. Free Man in the Republic of Texas

PANDER !!!

How stupid do you think we are ???

May 29, 2012 at 7:08 am |
    • Sulo

it already but I'm so glad I found this site Keep up the good work I read a lot of blogs on a daily basis and for the most part, pelope lack substance but, I just wanted to make a quick comment to say GREAT blog. Thanks, A definite great read..Jim Bean

August 1, 2012 at 11:32 pm |
  7. Kool-Aid Police

Obama wants to increase the Tri-Care copays yet doesn't mention that at all. Our troops shouldn't have to pay a dime of their own money for wounds they received in duty.

May 29, 2012 at 7:52 am |
  8. John

Good job and nice words Mr. President. I am sure it is greatly appreciated and moving for those who served.
    Thanks to the folks who served

May 29, 2012 at 8:00 am |
    • 1FreeWorld

Can I say "Soros" in combination of/and "Anti-American" here

or is that prohibited in this land of Free Speech??????

May 30, 2012 at 8:56 pm |
      • 1FreeWorld

How about George Soros and

Can I say

Barry Obama and http://www.discoverthenetworks.org?

Can I say http://www.Discoverthenetworks.org and Brain Washing Techniques used by the Left?

May 30, 2012 at 9:18 pm |
  9. jean2009

You must be 13. No one was protesting about the fact that the troops were coming home..it was basically the fact that there were troops being sent to a war many thought was unjust. It was also a war that put undue stress on the Have-nots-99% where the Haves-2% could find a way around the draft.. It was the first war fought nightly via TV in US living rooms...something which is not happening with current conflicts. Many thought too many atrocities had been committed... and yes too many atrocities had been committed...but the majority of citizens were just happy that long nightmare was over. But to be honest, I don't see the returning vets treated much better today with some of the right-wing "job-creators" refusing to hire returning vets...and lamely blaming their not hiring vets on fears of PTSD.

May 29, 2012 at 9:28 am |
    • John

Jean, "I don't see the returning vets treated much better today with some of the right-wing "job-creators" refusing to hire returning vets...and lamely blaming their not hiring vets on fears of PTSD".
      I disagree with you on this, but I am not a vet so maybe a vet can tell us. It seems to me the Vietnam Vets were treated much worse than the military folks coming home today.
      I am also a little taken back by your blame game. Even for you this is low blow at repubs. Are you saying the people on the left are hiring, but the people on the right are not?
      BTW, if there is one thing this administration has done it has made it easier to bring law suits. If ANYONE passed and not hired a person – and they are blaming it on PTSD when the person does not have PTSD, these people will have one heck of a law suit.

May 29, 2012 at 10:32 am |
      • Steveo

I am not sure where Jean got that info either. I am leaning towards "made -up" myself! BTW the treatment today's vets get is so much more favorable than what our Vietman vets dealt with. Society has become more accepting, no one is being called "baby killer" today, no one is being spat on today! Medicine has also advanced and folks now better understand PTSD.

As far as "right-wing" businesses afraid of PTSD and not hiring. Notice the lack of any citation! I call COW PIE on this!

May 29, 2012 at 1:43 pm |
      • jean2009

I'm not making this up and it is well reported...shocked you per usual are not up to date.

May 29, 2012 at 4:47 pm |
      • jean2009

@ Steveo There are the citations...something which you are never able to provide with your pure cow pie.

May 29, 2012 at 4:51 pm |
      • Steveo

@jean2009
        ------

May 29, 2012 at 6:56 pm |
      • Steveo

@jean2009
        ------
        That hurt Jean. Yet interesting how we get Huffington Post and MSNBC and other left leaning citations from you. Give us (me) something from a neutral, non partisan site and you'll have my attention! In addition, I am with C-Lo on this. NO WHERE did your articles mention right wing businesses! No right wing conspiracies anywhere in any article! What's up with that?

May 29, 2012 at 7:07 pm |
      • jerry

jean is a 70 something year old single black liberal...full of hate. You must consider the source. Business people love to hire veterans...they always have.

May 29, 2012 at 9:50 pm |
      • Deni

Kevin Cannon February 23, 2011 relax about the pot thing, but the rest of it screams LOSER. and, if you don't like fnihsig, don't hang out with fishermen. you don't have to like everything the other does, but probably should be ok with their primary activities .and, a woman who professes to like sports and drinking should be pretty popular with men .loved the open, the same rant i often let loose: you really want to know about a person? road trip. even an all-day drive, though the overnight is most telling. harder to end early, though.kevin

August 1, 2012 at 3:35 am |
    • Kool-Aid Police

$20.00 fine for posting like a partisan hack.

May 29, 2012 at 1:47 pm |
    • C-Lo

Hahahahaha....Jean, did you even READ the articles you cite? Directly from the MSNBC (aka Obama Propoganda Machine):
      There’s no evidence that the higher unemployment rate for young vets is due to fears about mental health issues. In fact, research shows there is a positive bias toward hiring a veteran if she or he has a clearly transferable, comparable skill set to a non-veteran, says Meredith Kleykamp, Ph.D, assistant professor of sociology at the University of Maryland, who researches consequences of military service and is married to a veteran.

No where in the article does it mention ANYTHING about it being a right wing bias, as you suggest.

If you're forming your opinion from the drivel posted in the comments, did you see the reference in the businessweek post to http://management.fortune.cnn.com/2011/11/10/veterans-unemployment-hiring/?iid=SF_F_River ?

Or do you just choose to ignore any other facts/suppositions?

Every time I read your comments, it is more and more strongly suggested that you are not who you say you are, but actually a leftwing schill being financed by the Soros machine for a Communist America. You blast the Norquist bunch, but ignore the likes of Soros who is running the same scheme on the other side. WHY???

May 29, 2012 at 5:16 pm |
      • Steveo

How are you C-Lo?

May 29, 2012 at 6:42 pm |
      • C-Lo

I'm well Steveo, and you? Been (and staying) very busy, but needed to take a minute to respond to the nonsense i was seeing.

May 30, 2012 at 12:05 pm |
      • Steveo

I am doing well, my friend! Doing well! Always good to read you when you get on. "Nonsense" is putting it mildly!

May 30, 2012 at 3:33 pm |
    • Lizzie

NO it was the LEFT that demonstrated and called the Vietnam Vets the worst names possible, but right now it's fashionable to forget all those LITTLE details. I DON'T. I don't forget that JANE FONDA aided and abetted big time the enemy in time of war, while so many husbands, brothers and fathers were over there and some did not come home.

May 29, 2012 at 7:45 pm |
    • 1FreeWorld

When the Troops in Vietnam were coming home,
      the Lefties were not happy.

The Lefties were not happy when the Troops went to Vietnam.

The Lefties were not, and are not, happy about anything.
      They spit at the Military in Uniform, both yesterday and today

The only thing the Lefties wanted was the DESTRUCTION of the USA.

If you went to Vietnam,
      you were a War Monger.
      If you went to Canada as a Draft Dodger,
      you were Hailed as a Peace-Loving, Pot-Smoking, Commie.

Lefties are not a happy folk.
      They want to destroy America.

Send them to North Korea and Cuba.
      The Lefties will soon learn about the Lack-of-Freedom there!

Any Lefties here want to destroy the Free Market System in the USA?
      Any Lefties here want to Salute the Freedom Fighters from Vietnam?

Any Lefties here want to SPEAK to TRUTH?

May 29, 2012 at 10:44 pm |
      • 1FreeWorld

I have noticed that there are no Lefties here!

Or they are not willing to speak up, on my Post, for their Anti-American Postitions.

Or they are too busy looking into the
        Soros-Funded, Media Matters,
        Field Book
        on how to respond
        and have not yet found the appropriate response!

They are asking themselves, should we go to North Korea or Cuba?????

Where is DEcember 2012 for a little funny,,,, oops, no vid here,,, waiting for DEcember 2012,,, NOW!

Oh no, the Meds are wearing off! HA HA HA HA HA

Hat tip to DEcember 2012

May 30, 2012 at 8:53 pm |
  10. judy

Good job Mr. President. Thank you for the words spoken. The right will continue to dishonor this president but he stands heads above the repos who will have us in another war if elected Obama 2012

May 29, 2012 at 11:31 am |
    • Lizzie

It would have been nice to acknowledge that the LEFT demonstrated and called VIETNAM VETS the worst names possible.

May 29, 2012 at 7:46 pm |
  11. James

Won't Work for me--Opportunistic Political ploy–

May 29, 2012 at 11:35 am |
  12. FB

God Bless our Vets.

Get ready for US tax payers to bail out not only Greece but Spain and Portugal. Thanks to o d u m b o and liberal OWS flea baggin democrats for spending my tax dollars to save the people of Greece who now can continue retiring at 50 while Ill need to work to 70 now.

May 29, 2012 at 12:59 pm |
    • dave

have you been under a rock when bush was president or do you just like blaming the black guy?

May 30, 2012 at 12:15 am |
  13. NAM VET

THIS PRESIDENT HAS NO HONOR FOR ANY RETURNING VET. HE NEVER SERVED ANYONE BUT HIMSELF AND OTHER
    SOCIALISTS. THE GROUPS THAT WANT WHAT THEY NEVER WORKED FOR. TAKE FROM THOSE WHO WORKED
    AND FOUGHT FOR THIS GREAT NATION IS HIS THEME. THIS PRESIDENT WHO WISHES TO CHANGE FREEDOM FOR US
    ALL SHOULD BE ON THAT SHIP THAT HOUSED "THE MAN WITHOUT A COUNTRY". IF YOU DO NOT KNOW OF WHO
    I REFERENCE–I WOULD SAY TO YOU,GO BACK AND LEARN A LITTLE OF OUR HISTORY,BEFORE YOU WOULD
    SUPORT THIS TRAITOR.

May 29, 2012 at 1:53 pm |
    • jean2009

President Obama is serving every Vet very well ...BTW there wouldn't be so many vets were it not for the last POTUS who sent troops looking for non-existent WMD.

May 29, 2012 at 4:53 pm |
      • C-Lo

And he wouldn't have had to send them looking had his predicessor not gutted US intelligence and military forcing us to rely on information from MI-6...

May 29, 2012 at 5:20 pm |
    • jean2009

FYI Dwight Eisenhower sent the first troops into Vietnam...November 1, 1955 call that our 20 year war.

May 29, 2012 at 4:59 pm |
      • Ahmed

"The Looney Left's beate noire, Chimpy McHitler, has recently emeregd from the Ffchrerbunker and awakened the latent BDS always boiling just beneath the surface. A softball interview on the Orca Windbag Show only served to rehabilitate the Evil One. What's next, a turn on Brush-Clearing With the Stars?" PJincIf this isn't proof that PJ sporadically indulges in psychedelia, I don't know what is. I'd lay money his desert-island favorites include Pink Floyd and the Alan Parsons Project.I feel it important to point out that nothing he's saying is provable. It's rhetoric. If you somehow view it as having anything to do with reality, you're a dumbshit.Here's why:This is how PJinc describes the coming out of Bush's recent memoir, "Decision Points"-"The Looney Left's beate noire, Chimpy McHitler, has recently emeregd from the Ffchrerbunker and awakened the latent BDS always boiling just beneath the surface."There you go.Let me ask you asshats something. Have libs called W "Chimpy McHitler"? Or has PJinc? Have libs referred to W's home as "the Fuhrerbunker"? Or has PJinc?I somehow think most of you will walk away from this thinking the libs are guilty as charged. However, I can assure you we've never called W 'Chimpy McHitler. Nor have we referred to his home as 'the Fuhrerbunker'. These colorful descriptions are entirely PJ's. Not ours. From our point of view, this is some crazy-assed shit.But it makes perfect sense to you.I'll never ever understand you fuckers. Not because I don't want to, but because I can't...my problem.

July 30, 2012 at 8:47 pm |
    • dave

if universal health care makes obama a socialist then wouldnt that make jesus a socialist too? jesus thought everyone should be treated equal and have the same rights...i assume you are a religious nut because you type in all caps for some reason and you think obama is a traitor and you remember the mckinely presidency you old fossil

May 30, 2012 at 12:13 am |
      • C-Lo

No, dave, that would not make Jesus (with a capital "J") a socialist. Socialism is a socio-political establishment, requiring adherence to a centralized gov't that dictates outcomes through the forced taking of earnings through taxation for redistribution to the whole. This creates a reliance on gov't by the masses, particularly those with lower earnings to meet their needs. This philosophy essentially says all things are given by gov't, and therefore owed to gov't.

Jesus on the other hand preached reliance on the Creator by all (those with high and low incomes) to meet their needs. He advocated that all things are given us by God, and therefore owed to God. Assistance to the community is GIVEN by those more fortunate, in the spirit of the heart, not taken in the spirit of the law.

The liberal left wants to bury religion and self sufficency in hopes of creating greater and greater reliance on gov't, thereby further controlling the masses by gov't imposed laws enforced by the threat of imprisonment.

Because you are quick to jump to conclusions of others based on typing in all caps (and why don't you call out DEcember2012 and T-wolfe?) I'd like to offer my more substantiated conclusion of you as being part of the group that screams "keep religion out of my gov't." to which I'd like to respond "keep your gov't out of my religion."

May 30, 2012 at 12:02 pm |
      • Steveo

@C-Lo
        Well said! In addition:
        2 Thessalonians 3:10 states "If a man does not work, he does not eat. In context this is referring to those who are able but are not willing (the idle and lazy)! Sound like personal responsibility and NOTsocialism to me!

May 30, 2012 at 3:53 pm |
    • Pete

@NAM VET,check out your elustreous hero McCain,the Saigon songbird,ya know his song,now that's a traitor if I've seen one.Tells people the pic that's him in bed ,is him recovering from injuries while being tortured,bull shit!Those were from crashing his 5th,ya 5th jet,after crashing in a rice patty from him running into his own missile flack,he was told not to fly that low,but he didn't listen,as usual..His father,an admiral in the navy,sealed his military records,only the president can open them,check out that fact!! And he wasn't born on a naval base in Panama either,in a small village hospital miles away,that also a recorded fact,that's why he nevered screamed about the birther issue,he's as guilty as hell and didn't want anyone asking him for his birth certificate,he'd be toast.So read up and quit bashing the president,you're starting to sound like the other KKK flunkies running around here.I also salute you on your past service,Vietnam war my brother said is better left untold,he was also a tunnel rat in Nam and still suffers from it,take care!!!

May 31, 2012 at 1:16 pm |
  14. California Conservative

Completely political although it is better than the typical democrats way of spitting on the vetrans like they did when they came back fro Vietnam..

May 29, 2012 at 3:09 pm |
    • dave

dude. everyone spit on the vets when they came back

May 30, 2012 at 12:14 am |
      • Steveo

EVERYBODY? Did you? I know I didn't! I had familiy members who served in Nam!

May 30, 2012 at 3:56 pm |
  15. jerry

Ike had a few advisors in Vietnam, JFK sent many more, and LBJ turned it into a full blown war...micro managed it, tied the hands of our troops and as the narcissistic social path he was thought he could talk the commies into a deal.... Just like obama thought he could slick talk the Iraninans when he turned down the green revolutionaries... like he thinks he can deal with the muslim brother hood, like he thought he could stab Pakistan in the back..and and and and... nothing new in history the same old leftist power mongering...with no moral grounding. We need new leadership.

May 29, 2012 at 9:56 pm |
    • DEcember 2012

JERRY, IF YOU HAD IT YOUR WAY WE WOULD BE AT WAR WITH THE ENTIRE MIDDLE EAST AND RUSSIA JUST LIKE MITT ROMNEY WANTS.

WHY DON'T YOU AND YOUR IDOL DO US ALL A FAVOR AND SHIP YOURSELVES TO THE MIDDLE EAST AND FIGHT YOUR POINTLESS WARS ON YOUR OWN. I'LL EVEN PAY FOR YOUR PLANE TICKET. HAHAHAHAHA!!!

May 29, 2012 at 11:44 pm |
  16. dave

i read these comments and i wonder what the rest of the world thinks of us..

May 30, 2012 at 12:10 am |
    • Steveo

Here is what the rest of the world thinks:

I wish I had the same freedom!

Or they are most focused on their own troubles!

May 30, 2012 at 3:59 pm |
      • Luiz

what information is on vianetm era marine corps dog tags?I have my father's dog tags from when he served in the Marines in the Vietnam war era. I believe under his name and initials is his age and then birthday but I am not positive as the day is off by two days from the birthday I thought he had. Now the soldiers ssn is used but as this number is only 7 long it cannot be that. Can anyone tell me what that number is for sure?

July 31, 2012 at 11:49 am |
  17. Fred

Nice words.
    But meaning less coming from a president looking to gut the very military he speaks of

May 30, 2012 at 11:04 am |
  18. sara

THANK you, MR. PRESIDENT. My Viet Nam Veteran husband suffered his first of six heart attacks at age 49. Our savings were squandered away on Medicines....leaving us to file for bankruptsy on 460,000 dollars of Medical care. Our trucking business of 28 years went burst in 2004, the first indicative of a struggling economy (if you had a "small business), BUSH and company APPEALED Nuehner vs The United States Dept of Veteran Affairs for 8 years DENYING AGENT ORANGE caused CAD of the heart. I just received my husband's death bed next to ours in our home....his congestive heart failure has led to a prognosis of 5 months to live...We have struggled to keep our home, the only thing we have that is Now worth a third of what we paid for it. Appealing the devastation on the Viet Nam VETERANS documented illness for so LONG, left many families broke and forgotten, without healthcare of benefits of fighting in Viet Nam. Thank YOU and the first LADY for all that you do for our Veterans. Especially, the ones the country WANTS to forget or were born yet and never bothered to READ about Those Special Patriots so many years ago. My brother received a purple heart, stayed 20+ years and in 1985, blew his brains out. There were no diagnosis for PTSD.....this country called him "Shell Shocked"...Because he has stood by what was right in stopping the Appeal process of Nuebner VS the Veterans Administration when he took office and assigned a REAL Patriot to that DEPT. I applaud you sir. Again, Thanks.

May 30, 2012 at 1:15 pm |
  19. Paula K

Nice of him and his entourage to shut down the memorial for 7 hours so he could give a 15 minute speech and take a lot of pictures. Here's a thought..... start thinking about the people you are impacting instead of what works best for you.

June 10, 2012 at 2:59 am |
  20. weather in halong bay

This is very interesting, You are an excessively professional blogger. I have joined your feed and sit up for in the hunt for extra of your excellent post. Additionally, I have shared your website in my social networks

January 17, 2013 at 5:00 am |