Obama speaks with world leader on phone while holding baseball bat
This official White House photo was posted on the website as the photo of the day simply captioned: "President Barack Obama talks on the phone with Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdoğan of Turkey in the Oval Office, July 30, 2012. "(Official White House Photo by Pete Souza)
August 1st, 2012

Obama speaks with world leader on phone while holding baseball bat

(CNN)–It's still a mystery why President Barack Obama was holding a baseball bat during his telephone conversation with Turkey's Prime Minister Erdogan earlier this week.  An official White House photo shows the president with the bat in one hand and a phone in the other.

The photo is getting quite a bit of attention in overseas publications wondering about "hidden messages" or the "symbolic meaning" of the president holding the baseball bat.

The White House released a short readout of Monday's call, which focused on Turkey's neighbor Syria, saying the "two leaders shared their growing concerns about the Syrian regime’s ruthless attacks against its own people, most recently in Aleppo."

Tensions between Turkey and Syria have escalated after the Syrians downed a Turkish plane earlier this summer.

Topics: President Obama • Turkey

Next entry »
  1. Stephen Bernard

Speak softly and carrier a Louisville Slugger! B looks tough with that baseball bat in his hands.

August 1, 2012 at 11:42 am |
    • ali3nation

Peanut butter/ jelly...peanut butter/ jelly..... peanut butter/jelly...wid a baseball bat.

August 2, 2012 at 11:15 am |
    • JayDickson

I think there's something troubling the president. He's probably being force to war with Iran.

August 2, 2012 at 12:03 pm |
      • shloime

forced? yeah, you mean by his failed policy of appeasement? or by the election coming up, and not much to brag about?

August 3, 2012 at 11:50 pm |
    • JD

He looks skinnier than the bat.

August 2, 2012 at 1:40 pm |
    • kerith8

Anyone who says this isn't a staged photo is lying to themselves.. Look at the bat, you would think one of his cronies would have smashed it against a tree or something to make it at least LOOK like its been used more than carrying it from the car... Sorry AF1

August 3, 2012 at 6:16 pm |
    • kerith8

Anyone who thinks this isn't a staged photo needs a long hard look at reality. That bat has NO sweat stains on the grip, you would think one of his cronies would have at least beat it against a tree to make it LOOK like it's been used more than being carried from the car.... Sorry AF1

August 3, 2012 at 6:18 pm |
      • Bugmenot

JUST STAND ON YOUR HEAD AND SOIL YER PANTS AWREADY!!!!!!!!!!!

August 14, 2012 at 6:38 pm |
  2. v_mag

If Sarah is the ball, she's a screwball. If she's the bat, she's a dingbat.

August 1, 2012 at 11:43 am |
    • Toby McDooogan

Wow CNN! Trying to make Obama look tough? Gesh, is there anything the media won't do to promote Obama. CNN, stop fluffing Obama!!!!!!!!

August 1, 2012 at 1:51 pm |
      • Ken

You assume, after probably being indoctrinated by Faux News, that if something depicts Obama in a positive light it must be false or some media conspiracy. Quit drinking the kool-aid. Obama has many strong points despite what the far right echo chamber would have you believe. Occasionally the media is going to hit on a few of them. Imagine that!

August 1, 2012 at 2:09 pm |
      • Debbie

Shut Up!!!!

August 1, 2012 at 3:13 pm |
      • Angus

I agree with Debbie that Obama should shut up. Thanks Debbie!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11

August 1, 2012 at 3:18 pm |
      • mike k.

It's getting late in the day so I'm all out of witty retorts. Going for the old stand-by.

Sit on it.

August 1, 2012 at 3:45 pm |
      • Logic N LA

Toby- CNN is not the only place the picture has run. And for the record- My President IS tougher than your Presidential choice.

August 1, 2012 at 4:02 pm |
      • BigJohnnyM

That's your comment, that's all you can come up with, your a moron!!!

August 1, 2012 at 9:06 pm |
      • teaisstronger

BARNEY THE DOG WAS BARKING, BARNEY THE DOG DOES NOT BARK ANYMORE

Muslims consider dogs as being unclean and do not like dogs. So why did Obama ever get a dog?

August 1, 2012 at 9:10 pm |
      • Playrighter

CNN didn't start this. The image was sent out by the White House yesterday with the heading "What's Behind The President's Desk?" and the caption: "President Barack Obama talks on the phone with Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdoğan of Turkey in the Oval Office, July 30, 2012. (Official White House Photo by Pete Souza)"

Let's put credit for this silly picture where it belongs: with the Obama White House

August 1, 2012 at 9:14 pm |
      • RL

Obama is still a girly guy even though he is holding a bat. He is the number one Strike Out President. Three strikes and you are OUT on your tush Obama. Hows that Debbie?

August 1, 2012 at 9:54 pm |
      • Avi Medina

yes he uses it against the American Citizens !! under all kind of policy's !!and not where it's need to be used ;0))
        where is the Video that he killed that fly ??? in the interview !!! Anything for election & nothing for the
        caving Citizens !!!!!

August 2, 2012 at 3:50 am |
      • Hazim

It's the "Chicago Way" He thinks he's Al Copone in The Untouchables.

August 2, 2012 at 6:20 am |
      • hearmeroar

i do not like this obama and never will. heard him rant for many hours at the dnc and thought he talks forever about nothing. he is nothing but a shoe shine and a smile. deliver me.

August 2, 2012 at 8:32 am |
      • GeorgiaPeachie

Gee, what's next, a photo of him putting his pants on? Oh, that can't happen because michelle wears the PANTS in the family!

August 2, 2012 at 8:33 am |
      • Gary Bruce

He's holding his "big stick."

August 2, 2012 at 8:45 am |
      • Bob

Communist News Network

August 2, 2012 at 12:07 pm |
      • whitecloud

At least there is no intern under the desk.

August 2, 2012 at 1:11 pm |
      • rjay whit

Ken, what exactly are obama's strong points? I see people with O 2012 shirts and I want to ask them "Do you really want 4 more years of this economy?" For the life of me I don't understand why they wear the shirt.

August 2, 2012 at 2:57 pm |
      • Cory Ettinger

It's the Chicago way, typical criminal.

August 2, 2012 at 4:38 pm |
      • joe

Let's see, there's the Romney's Horse Monkey, the Romney tax return monkey, the Romney Bain Monkey, etc., etc. Now it's the look tough with the baseball bat monkey. The Communist News Network (this is CNN) tells all the sheepy Obamanites to look at whatever monkey the Communist News puts out. And the sheepies deliver ever time. IT'S THE ECONOMY STUPID. Oh look, there goes the homosexual monkey, and look, the "she never worked a day..." monkey. Good little sheepies, look at the monkey, look at the monkey.

August 4, 2012 at 8:22 pm |
    • Subtlety Rogue

I have a theory that this bat is actually an ejection seat lever. A lot of people are reaching for it even as we speak (or blog or Tweet, whatever) and The One is guarding his royal asp, so to speak (or blog or Tweet or whatever). 5 – 4 – 3 – 2 – 1 ...

August 1, 2012 at 8:42 pm |
    • cray

obama speaks with world leader ......what? you mean turks prime minister is the world leader? damn cnn, are you that far freaking to the left that you feel good to call some other crap ass countrys prime minister the world leader because it makes you feel good

August 1, 2012 at 9:01 pm |
      • Cynthia L.

Some people like Cray have never even heard of Turkey and think it's just what you eat for Thanksgiving. The education of this country's citizens is becoming a war against reality vs. the willfully dumb. Let me guess, Cray(on), you are voting for Mis-step Mitt.

August 2, 2012 at 10:59 am |
      • shloime

uh, it's an official white house picture. the usual cliché is: "don't shoot the messenger". (cnn may have its faults, but this picture simply isn't one of them.)

August 3, 2012 at 11:59 pm |
    • Shelley

Maybe he's trying to remember to be firm by carrying a big stick.

August 1, 2012 at 9:10 pm |
      • shloime

or maybe he's trying to convey a subliminal message, without actually referring to the myth about african-american men...

August 4, 2012 at 12:03 am |
    • RL

Ah I see another Democrat still suffering from PDS, Palin Derangement Syndrome. Isn't there a pill for that? Take a bottle's worth will you and maybe you will get all better.

August 1, 2012 at 10:05 pm |
    • JohnS

Oh? " It's still a mystery why President Barack Obama was holding a baseball bat during his telephone conversation with Turkey's prime minister earlier this week.", this is no mystery, it's OBVIOUS he is 'channeling' Teddy Roosevelt, but I don't think it's working very well.

August 2, 2012 at 12:33 am |
    • Frankie D

Just a staged photo with a prop for the fawning press tp try to make him look less whimpy.
      Truth is the bat is most likely Valerie Jerrett's sex toy.

August 2, 2012 at 12:39 am |
    • J martinez

Look, I can't stand this president or his wife, but give me a break! He can hold a bat or a baseball while on a phone conversation all he wants. Heck, I'm in the toilet during some conversations. This is piddly and stupid. I hate him, but he's not doing anything wrong. Check the photographer's or reporter's background. I'm sure you'll find things more significant than holding a bat during a phone call. Hopefully it was a US of A made Louisville Slugger.

August 2, 2012 at 2:47 am |
    • JS

Nursing an obsession? Palin isn't running for anything.

August 2, 2012 at 7:16 am |
      • Steveo

Nursing IS an obsession! Ask Mayor Bloomberg in NYC!!

August 2, 2012 at 10:08 am |
    • Tom

I'll bet that bat was signed by Richard Trumka.

August 2, 2012 at 9:57 am |
  3. Willie K.

Talk softly, but carry a big stick. Mystery solved.

August 1, 2012 at 11:48 am |
    • GokTurk

That sounds like a threat to Turks. :)

August 2, 2012 at 12:49 pm |
      • Morse Fan

More like a threat to Bashar Al-Assad.

August 5, 2012 at 5:21 am |
  4. Patriot Awesome

Speaking softly and carrying a big stick.

August 1, 2012 at 11:49 am |
    • Steve in CT

First thing I thought of, patriot

August 1, 2012 at 11:51 am |
    • Ms. White

AMEN

August 1, 2012 at 1:07 pm |
    • Lionel

That would be the Whimp Romney. The bat is meant for Republicans to watch out.

August 1, 2012 at 2:35 pm |
      • sdeakins

That's his Pimp Bat fo when his hoes get outta line.

August 1, 2012 at 8:01 pm |
      • Subtlety Rogue

If he bats as well as he throws, no one is doing anything more intimidated than LAUGHING AT HIM. And you.

August 1, 2012 at 8:44 pm |
      • Gene

Dreamer

August 1, 2012 at 9:35 pm |
      • orleans gator

U must be stuped dude, that week azz prez couldn't hit a bassball if you held it up for him, he too stupid to no what he is doing

August 1, 2012 at 9:40 pm |
      • RL

Obama is a "Wuss" a loser, an imposter, a disgrace.

August 1, 2012 at 9:55 pm |
      • former democrap

Just so frightened! Gonna get those Panthers to stop white people from voting again?

August 1, 2012 at 10:51 pm |
      • Corrct Right Thinkining

No worries, he didn't build that bat, someone else did, but he did get a 'K'; he's outta there!

August 2, 2012 at 12:43 am |
      • Jimmy

Obama's just getting ready for November. The bat is to go along with the Mitt that will be in the WH in 2012.

August 2, 2012 at 6:55 am |
      • ouldbollix

Wow, so much for the new Gabby Giffords civility we were all supposed to be hearing.

August 2, 2012 at 8:13 am |
      • GeorgiaPeachie

Thanks for making me spite coffee all over my screen!! DELUSION much? Mao-bama's ratings are falling weekly now. The last poll had to prop him up by 11 pts just to show him ahead by 5 pts!! LOL Can you say DESPERATE?

August 2, 2012 at 8:36 am |
      • Tjaw1776

"That would be the Whimp Romney. The bat is meant for Republicans to watch out."

Yeah, watch out for Obama's New Black Panther thugs who will be at the polling places with bats AGAIN!

August 2, 2012 at 9:38 am |
      • Cynthia L.

@Tjaw 1776 Three black dudes outside a polling place not doing anything to prevent voting BUT scaring the life out of those that don't show up to vote anyway. BWAH-HA-HA!!!!!

August 2, 2012 at 11:06 am |
    • former democrap

More like speak BS and carry a big shtick.

August 1, 2012 at 10:50 pm |
    • Lefty

When you throw like a girl, you carry someone else's bat.

August 1, 2012 at 10:54 pm |
      • Cynthia L.

But,....what if I don't want to carry someone else's bat? You can't make me carry it if I don't want to carry it – not if I say I don't want to. You can ask real nice but, still, I don't want to carry someone else's bat. YOU can carry someone's else's bat. I don't want to just cause you think I should. Not even if you think I'm suppose to I WON'T DO IT, I SAY, I WON'T, NO!!.....Mom-mm!!! Lefty's trying to make me carry someone else's BAT!!!!!!

August 3, 2012 at 2:39 am |
    • JWood-the-other

Talk Softly but carry a big stick. Teddy Roosevelt? You're no Teddy Roosevelt! Teddy was willing to use the stick and that's why the soft talk worked. Having the big stick is useless when everyone knows you will do everything possible to avoid using it.

August 1, 2012 at 11:41 pm |
    • Skyfox

Moochelle knows it's the only "big stick" he's got.

August 2, 2012 at 6:28 am |
    • Americuss

He's explaining to Turkey what support he's sending to the Syrian rebels so they don't get held up in customs. At least, a baseball bat is better than lip service. Good luck Syrians.

August 2, 2012 at 7:33 am |
  5. king

you know what president obama, chaney is kind of coocoo, but he's kind of right on this one. now that the rebels have most of the people on their side and most of the world. i think its time for you to have a no fly zone in one of the cities of syria, just like you did in lybia. i know its election time and repubs will have a feast in blaming you for spending american tax payer money and every thing evil thats in the book, like how they bated you to do in lybia the last time and when you did engaged, they jumped on you, but sometimes you have to do what right.

August 1, 2012 at 11:50 am |
    • Bresson

So who's going to fly those planes and enforce said no fly zone? your sons?

August 1, 2012 at 1:50 pm |
    • DEcember 2012

YOU DO REALIZE, SYRIA IS A TOTALLY DIFFERENT STORY. GEOGRAPHY ALONE WILL TELL YOU HOW DIFFICULT IT IS TO INTERFERE IN SYRIA BEING IN THE MIDDLE OF EVERYTHING, NOT TO MENTION THE FACT THE RUSSIANS ARE SO HEAVILY INVESTED THEY EVEN HAVE A MILITARY BASE THERE. AND YET, WE ARE STILL MEDDLING AS OBAMA JUST SIGNED OFF FOR MORE CIA ACTION. IT IS TIME FOR THE REST OF THE WORLD TO PITCH IN OR ARE YOU STILL UNDER THE OUTDATED IMPRESSION THAT THE USA IS THE SUPERCOP OF THE WORLD?

August 2, 2012 at 1:24 am |
      • Bill

caps lock...little button on the left....please

August 2, 2012 at 6:40 am |
      • DEcember 2012

IF YOU HAVE NOTHING OF SUBSTANCE TO SAY, JUST SHUT YOUR TRAP.

August 2, 2012 at 5:16 pm |
    • Michael Curley

I would be careful in the support of the rebels, while i fear for the civilians, it is not disputed that Al Qaeda is involved in the rebelion. I would support air strikes, a naval blockade but we would need people on the ground to verify who we are supporting. If we are concerned about the Muslim Brotherhood in Egypt Syria has the potential to brew something far more sinister. What is with the bat though, is it in the oval office all the time, was he hitting Niden some grounders. Dont think it is to look tough becasue we all saw him throw a baseball I doubt he can swing a bat

August 2, 2012 at 2:37 am |
  6. Ted Baxter

Based on what's going on in the world today, I can't blame the President.

Of course, rather than talking to Turkey, perhaps he was speaking to the Red Sox dugout.

August 1, 2012 at 11:52 am |
  7. Rudy NYC

Must be a stress thing. Some people squeeze those rubber stress balls. A bat would be more forceful. I know if my boss came up to me holding a bat giving me orders, I would jump on it.

August 1, 2012 at 11:54 am |
    • Steveo

So, your paycheck is not incentive enough for you to do your job?

August 1, 2012 at 12:09 pm |
      • BillSD33

Steveo – Thanks for being one of those guys we really hate around the office! Said in a whiney voice, "So your paycheck isn't good enough for you!!"

August 1, 2012 at 12:19 pm |
      • Steveo

No problem Bill, now GET BACK TO WORK! I don't know how much you make (not my business) but i'll venture to say 8.2% of America would like to have it! now GET BAACK TO WORK.

P.s. I said that with PLENTY of BASS in my voice! You didn't hear that? I'll bet it shook your keyboard!

August 1, 2012 at 12:24 pm |
      • Jesus Christ Superstar

Wow, steveo, you finally figured it out. NO, pathetic paychecks are NOT enough to do our job. A paycheck makes sure I do enough work not to get fired, but incentives actually allow you to not hate your job. Maybe if we got good pay, benefits, paid vacation time, and all that stuff thats mandatory in other countries, but for some reason, not in exceptional America.

August 1, 2012 at 12:56 pm |
      • Really?

Wow, smack talk and applauding your own deep voice – feel any better about yourself yet? Everyone I've ever actually met who posts garbage like this online looks like they couldn't bench press a carton of milk and date about as often as Republicans co-sponsor tax increases. Go back to your Dungeons and Dragons game and let the grownups talk, all right?

August 1, 2012 at 12:59 pm |
      • Cynthia L.

There was a little ripple in my coffee cup-Dat you?

August 1, 2012 at 7:42 pm |
      • Steveo

Cynthia L. Anything to help.

In all seriousness though, I know we see things differently on the political side of things but I must say, it is cool having a civil conversation with you! I am serious! Thank you!

p.s. I haven't 'heard ANYBODY talk about ripple since Redd Foxx in Sanford and Son!

August 1, 2012 at 9:46 pm |
      • Cynthia L.

Steveo – are you hinting my coffee might be spiked?? I was talkin' 'bout some little wave action! Ha!

August 1, 2012 at 9:51 pm |
      • Steveo

@Cynthia L. Oh! you mean ripple as in the effect of sound waves and not ripple, the cheap but highly effective alcoholic beverage!! My bad! Yeah! It was my inner Isaac Hayes!, Barry White, James Earl Jones thingy!! Kinda like that cars.com commercial!!

August 1, 2012 at 9:53 pm |
      • Cynthia L.

At one time Spirit Airlines had a recording of Issac Hayes telling you how to put your seatbelt on!!

August 1, 2012 at 10:19 pm |
      • Steveo

Really? I,m betting if it was a recording of Mr. T they would have has 100% compliance in about 5 seconds flat!

August 1, 2012 at 10:22 pm |

Really?

let the grownups talk, all right?
        ----------
        No problem! just one question, YOU are talking, right? How'd YOU sneak in here? I guess yiour cheeks are so tight, you can't recoginize a joke when you see one!? Sorry make that THREE questions!

August 2, 2012 at 11:47 am |
      • Steveo

@Yo "superstar", let me break this down for you. I was responding to Rudy who mentioned he/she would respond to an order given by his boss who had a bat.

Does it really take a bat to get you to do your job? Understand now?

August 2, 2012 at 11:53 am |
    • Really?

So, are you implying he's the boss of Turkey?

Yeah, I would guess he wants to look tough; why else would they let the photo out of the whitehouse?
      Not to say he and his regime wouldn't use whatever means they want to further their agenda.

August 1, 2012 at 1:06 pm |
      • Really, really?

Why else would he let the photo out? Really, Really? If you think the president has the time to check every snapshot taken of him before it's published, being president must be a pretty cushy job. This is CNN making a story out of nothing on a slow news day, nothing more.

August 1, 2012 at 2:05 pm |
      • asdf

Are YOU implying that the president checks every photo taken of him before it's published?

August 1, 2012 at 2:10 pm |
      • Jim in Frankfort

He looks ridiculous ... And anyone who thinks his inner circle doesn't review EVERY picture from the Oval Office is fooling themselves. What message was he trying to send? ...Obama's a dufus!

August 1, 2012 at 11:35 pm |
    • Investment Advisor

I think the President has rubber balls so that still does not explain the bat.

August 1, 2012 at 4:58 pm |
    • TC

Its not a stress thing, hes late for the Nats game cause there was actually a conversation involved. He was probably trying to schedule a time for the World Series Champs for this year to stop by the white house and Turkey called to discuss real issues.

August 2, 2012 at 3:03 am |
  8. alex chapman

Biden was right; this Prez DOES have a Big Stick.

August 1, 2012 at 11:55 am |
    • zago

you cool dude

August 1, 2012 at 11:58 am |
    • NeedNewGov

very good!
      He should take the bat and start using it on McConnell and Bonehead.

August 1, 2012 at 12:38 pm |
    • Ms. White

I know that's right!!!!!!!!!

August 1, 2012 at 1:09 pm |
      • ALittleBirdie

Actually, Ms. White, Alex was referring to President Obama, NOT former President Clinton.

August 1, 2012 at 4:50 pm |
  9. Parker

It's the Chicago way.

August 1, 2012 at 12:06 pm |
  10. Roger

You know, as a baseball fan and coach, I have a bat usually close by in case I feel the need to swing, either as a way to occupy myself or simulate a stance/swing I just saw during a game. Sometimes I'll just grab a ball and toss it in the air as I'm watching tv.

Obama having a bat, probably a gift from a team or player, laying around the oval office is no different.

I'm sure there's no hidden meaning.

August 1, 2012 at 12:08 pm |
  11. Steveo

What kind of story is this? So what?

August 1, 2012 at 12:08 pm |
    • Toby McDooogan

Steveo, You are supposed to see Obama holding that bat while dealing with foreign leaders and think he is a tough guy. Then your're supposed to say "Wow! I'm voting for that guy. He's a REAL man."

August 1, 2012 at 1:59 pm |
      • Ken

It's an interesting picture, but most people aren't quite that simple minded. Sometimes photos just happen. Ever see the photo that, given the angle, looks like Mccain is grabbing Obama's butt? Sometimes things just happen and they are funny or interesting or inspire commentary...but it's not always a media conspiracy. Get over it. Geeez.

August 1, 2012 at 2:11 pm |
      • Cynthia L.

WOW! I'm voting for that guy. He's a REAL man!

August 1, 2012 at 7:28 pm |
      • Dan

The in 2013, if he's still Prez, you're supposed to look again and say, "Wow, Now I get it. That was to show that he'll be tough with Americans – tough like Chavez, Putin, Castro, etc."

Or maybe he's waiting to give it to one of his thugs at the polling place.

August 1, 2012 at 8:26 pm |
      • Angus

Cynthia L. is right stating that Obama is not much of a man at all!!!!! You go girl!!!!!

August 2, 2012 at 12:06 am |
      • hearmeroar

i wouldn't be surprised if many voters put that little thought into how they vote. so many checks are given out for nothing. do people not realize the checks can stop coming at any time? look at greece.

August 2, 2012 at 8:42 am |
      • Cynthia L.

@Angus – with a name like Angus, it's no wonder yer full of B.S.!! You're steppin' in your own by nature, I guess.

August 2, 2012 at 11:13 am |
  12. Don

You are assuming it is a baseball bat. It may actually be a piece of Muslim sports equipmentt. I will have to check Fox News to be sure.

August 1, 2012 at 12:11 pm |
  13. Joi Gibson

Why must there be some nefarious meaning behind it? He's holding a bat while talking on the phone. Big woo!

August 1, 2012 at 12:15 pm |
    • NeedNewGov

it's the plight of 24hr news.

August 1, 2012 at 12:38 pm |
    • Toby McDooogan

Hi Joi, You know, I know, and everyone but the impaired know that this is all staged to provide a provocative image of Obama that he cannot achieve by his poor leadership.

August 1, 2012 at 2:00 pm |
      • asdf

actually, everybody but you knows that this is a nothing story that CNN picked up because they needed something to print. Maybe he was just messing around with it and got a phone call....or MAYBE ITS A GIANT DEMOCRAT-MEDIA CONSPIRACY!!!!!!

August 1, 2012 at 2:07 pm |
      • Ken

You again. No, the impaired regurgitate mindless, tired talking points that you've picked up from Faux Noos and that far right crowd that desperately wants people to believe them. You can keep trying to push it though. The non-impaired will ignore you and think for ourselves.

August 1, 2012 at 2:14 pm |
      • Toby McDooogan

I agree with asdf that this is the media pumping up Obama. I wish everyone could see through Obama's hype as clearly as asdf.

August 1, 2012 at 2:20 pm |
      • O2BNTEXAS

@Toby...I agree. At least he doesn't have his damn feet on MY desk.

August 1, 2012 at 10:18 pm |
      • Fishingman

NOT TO TROY

No AsDF, it was just a cheap photo op. That's all. It shows a lot of desperation and poor political guidance by Obama's handlers though.

August 2, 2012 at 12:04 am |
      • hearmeroar

right on...

August 2, 2012 at 8:43 am |
      • Angus

Ken is right. Obama is the worst president ever!!!!! You stay classy Ken!!!!!!!!!

August 2, 2012 at 11:05 am |

@Angus – MOO-OOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!

August 3, 2012 at 12:32 am |
    • dunce

You must remember what kind of personal business clinton was taking care of while he was on the phone taking care of official business, it is called multitasking.

August 1, 2012 at 11:51 pm |
  14. DarqueSide

The White House posted this? What were they thinking?!!! Please... let Romney make the bone-head gaffes. This is not a 'presidential' picture and the caption is not helpful.

August 1, 2012 at 12:16 pm |
  15. Chumlee

So What!

August 1, 2012 at 12:21 pm |
  16. AmericanPeasant

Seems like Obama is taking a page out of Teddy Roosevelt's book. "Speak softly and carry a big stick."

Oh wait someone all ready got to it before me, darn.

August 1, 2012 at 12:21 pm |
  17. Bo Lies

What a jerk.

August 1, 2012 at 12:22 pm |
    • Frank Tillery

That is very disrespectful, Bo. Stop being a "b" and vote.

August 1, 2012 at 12:25 pm |
    • Ms. White

you must have first hand knowledge and experience to call someone a jerk. Takes one to know one

August 1, 2012 at 1:13 pm |
  18. Investment Advisor

News???

August 1, 2012 at 12:25 pm |
    • Cynthia L.

Okay, we'll change the subject and talk about Mitt's evasion on showing his tax returns, offshore bank accounts, his IRA with $100 Million in it and the fact that he said, "Saying that you money is in a Blind Trust is a 'RUSE' people use when running for political office."

August 1, 2012 at 5:43 pm |
      • Adi

Okay Cynthia, let's expand the conversation to the One's sealed college records or the news revealed yesterday that White house staffers had clandestine meetings withh lobbyists in a coffeshop not to far away from the White House, now let me throw in some reports on fast and furious and it will be complete.

August 2, 2012 at 9:01 am |
      • Cynthia L.

And, lets's talk about THE PLOY of disguising secretly financed political machines such as Karl Rove's operation Crossroads GPS as "Tax-exempt Social Welfare Organizations" VOTERS IN THE DARK ARE UNDERWRITING THE ABUSE while Crossroads rakes in the dough and laughs all the way to the bank for your stupidity. Just don't ask them for anything in return. Ya' all hate those Social Welfare programs don't ya? And, especially those TAX-EXEMPT ones.......suckers.

August 2, 2012 at 11:25 am |
  19. mcskadittle

like Tom Cruise in a few good men

August 1, 2012 at 12:28 pm |
    • asdf

Exactly what I thought of.

August 1, 2012 at 2:07 pm |
  20. Ol' Lefty

I doubt there is any deep psychological meaning. Unless Obama was engaging in some debate prep for this fall. LOL

August 1, 2012 at 12:28 pm |
    • Steveo

Are you saying he needs a bat to debate? Isn't his record good enough?

August 1, 2012 at 12:35 pm |
      • Really?

Good enough for those who are leaching off the taxpayers. So what's the percentage now?

August 1, 2012 at 1:08 pm |
      • RL

In three words Obama's record stinks. Only a fool will vote for him – again – and is that fool you?

August 1, 2012 at 9:58 pm |
      • Steveo

@ RL, are you new here? You read anything I blogged here? If you did, you probably would not have asked that question!

August 2, 2012 at 4:06 pm |

@RL,

To ask me that, you must be new here!

August 2, 2012 at 4:09 pm |
    • Ms. White

to beat the crap out of mittens

August 1, 2012 at 1:14 pm |
      • joe

Why use a bat when he has Michelle to do it for him?

August 1, 2012 at 8:14 pm |
    • Playrighter

Maybe he wanted a more realistic athletic image than the staged picture of him holding a football and aiming somewhere in the third deck with what the viewer was supposed to believe ended up being a manly pass.

August 1, 2012 at 9:26 pm |
  21. John F

I'm pretty sure this is nothing to be worried about.

August 1, 2012 at 12:37 pm |
  22. 1:00AM

It's a pretty obvious reference to Roosevelt – especially since he's supposed to be talking to the Prime Minister of Turkey, a corrupt country we only deal with because we need to.

August 1, 2012 at 12:38 pm |
  23. BWRITS

OMG... Are things this dire on the news front!

August 1, 2012 at 12:39 pm |
    • Steveo

Yes! btw, how's the ECONOMY doing?

August 1, 2012 at 12:40 pm |
      • Ms. White

better than under bush

August 1, 2012 at 1:17 pm |

Betty, is that you?

August 2, 2012 at 9:08 am |
  24. Average Joe

A Middle eastern proverb – You can befriend a dog but never drop your stick

August 1, 2012 at 12:44 pm |
  25. Rick in L.A.

Very simple; the baseball trading deadline was yesterday and the Pres was undoubtably thinking about his beloved White Sox picking up another slugger. Jeez; can't a guy have some fun while running the country? Lighten UP!

August 1, 2012 at 12:46 pm |
  26. Ann

what is he doing with a baseball bat in the Oval Office?

August 1, 2012 at 12:49 pm |
    • DorisV

It is his office and he can have a baseball bat there if he wants.

August 1, 2012 at 1:47 pm |
      • Abe Reles

Actually, it's OUR office. He has the privilege of using it.

Until January 21, 2013, that is.

Don't let the door hit yer butt on the way out.

August 1, 2012 at 8:14 pm |
  27. rla

He needs a prop to look tough??? OR Just a left over from his Chicago days????

August 1, 2012 at 12:55 pm |
    • Oy

Yep. That's totally it.

That was sarcasm, btw.

August 1, 2012 at 1:14 pm |
      • Abe Reles

It was a painfully pathetic attempt at sarcasm if you have to go to the trouble of explaining your comment as such.

August 1, 2012 at 8:16 pm |
    • Ms. White

your scared of President Barrack Obama for those remarks

August 1, 2012 at 1:16 pm |
    • Toby McDooogan

Hay now, rla. Obama is a big man.

August 1, 2012 at 2:15 pm |
  28. Not Important

It's just something to fidget with that's quieter than bouncing a basketball and not a cigarette.

August 1, 2012 at 12:55 pm |
  29. Jack

Why is this so front page but I haven't seen CNN even print yet what Harry Reid said about Romney's tax returns, that he paid nothing in the last ten years?

August 1, 2012 at 12:59 pm |
    • Janet

Maybe because CNN knows it is an unsubstantiated claim meant to capture voters like you who will believe anything... You are referring to the ridiculous, unproven claim by Reid, when Reid himself admitted that he didn't have ANY IDEA IF IT IS TRUE. That claim?

August 2, 2012 at 10:43 am |
  30. Steve-Illinois

Oh!!!!!!! Isn't that cute!!!!!!
    No wonder CNN's ratings have tanked again!
    I hear the new CEO is going to completely transform CNN. He plans on turning it into a news network!

August 1, 2012 at 1:03 pm |
  31. Out Of Touch with reality

better to ask your wife about the $6800 jacket while America goes down the toilet under the scum obama policies.

August 1, 2012 at 1:07 pm |
    • Cynthia L.

Can we talk about that $200 car you bought for your wife as long as we don't mention the missing seat springs?

August 3, 2012 at 3:05 am |
  32. jasc

Obama got tired of being nice and is going "Gagsta"!!!

August 1, 2012 at 1:19 pm |
  33. Kool-Aid Police

CNN News Flash: Obama ties left shoe first! - Come on CNN, no wonder you plummeted in the ratings again and your network president is resigning.

August 1, 2012 at 1:24 pm |
    • Joe

Does anybody know what his shoe size is?

August 2, 2012 at 1:41 am |
  34. Free Man in the Republic of texas

Obama speaks with world leader
    on phone while holding baseball bat

Speak softly...
    Carry a BIG stick...

Oh... So... Manly

Did "I" tell you "I" killed Bin Laden !!!

August 1, 2012 at 1:27 pm |
  35. Brekke

Hes just that gangsta'.

August 1, 2012 at 1:27 pm |
  36. heavywords2012

If it was Mitt you would all talk shi****. You left wingers are closed minded. Would you even be aware of a shift in you parties view? Democrats used to be southern slave owners. Who is enslaving the public with social policies now? And leave foreign labor out of it. Their quality of life has gone up and we have industrialized the many countries that now provide countless services to their populations.

August 1, 2012 at 1:33 pm |
    • Cynthia L.

Those Democrats you are talking about are known as 'Dixiecrats' and they split away becoming the new Republicans after the Civil Rights Bill was passed. Also, Reagan really smoothed talked his way into their hearts by announcing his run for president in the state where the civil-rights workers had been killed to show some kind of sick solidarity with those misunderstood, abused of their rights to discriminate po-white folks who loved their 'baseball bats' and hangin' ropes.

August 2, 2012 at 11:38 am |
  37. Joe W

Didn't you ever see A Few Good Men? A baseball bat helps the man think!

August 1, 2012 at 1:38 pm |
  38. dave

Why is this news, how about more on the economy?

Bravo CNN, once again the pinnacle of journalism.

August 1, 2012 at 1:40 pm |
  39. DorisV

Doesn't appear to be dressed for a baseball game. I also like the big stick references.

August 1, 2012 at 1:45 pm |
  40. Gizmo

Whatever it takes to show the American people and the world that the President aint no punk! beware you racist Obama haters! For the past four years all you haters out there have demonstrated is pure disrespect for my president because he is a half black half white man who is actually smarter than you are! OBAMA/BIDEN 2012 AND BEYOND!!

August 1, 2012 at 1:48 pm |
  41. BLKMANnAmerica

SO WHAT!

August 1, 2012 at 1:51 pm |
    • Toby McDooogan

What do you mean "so what?" This proves that Obama is really really tough. Unlike those that can get their way with their words and actions, Obama needs a bat. Do I have to explain how tough Obama is to everyone. Just look at that picture. He's holding a bat for God sake!!!!!

August 1, 2012 at 2:17 pm |
      • Cynthia L.

Did you ever see the big gonger John Boehner uses in the House of Representatives? What a cartoon.

August 1, 2012 at 5:28 pm |
      • Yona Loriner

lol "tough man" i wonder when he's gonna start with bat control.

August 1, 2012 at 8:15 pm |
  42. Tony Partington

I very much like the photograph of President Obama speaking with "world leaders" while holding a baseball bat. What ever message it sends, I trust it is a clear, concise and intimidating one. I trust too this phone conversation took place while Mitt the twit was visiting Israel and making a total fool of himself.

August 1, 2012 at 1:58 pm |
  43. heavywords2012

He is just feeding a persona and you all are buying it. Its a freaking bat!!!! You live through FB pics and it shows. Image junkies.

August 1, 2012 at 2:03 pm |
  44. NAM VET

OB IS TELLING THE HEAD TURK THAT HE WILL NOT COME AND KISS HIS ASS UNLESS THE STATE DINNER DOES
    NOT HAVE A HELPING OF SUPER SIZED DOULBLE CHESSE AND BACON BURGERS. THAT WAS HIS ROYAL DEMAND
    TO THE LEADER OF TURKEY. AND THAT IS JUST THE MENTALITY OF OUR PRESIDENT. AMERICA HAS NO RESPECT FROM
    ANY COUNTRY BECAUSE WE HAVE A WIMP IN THE CAT SEAT. A DOG WITH NO BARK,A CAT WITH NO CLAWS, A
    PRESIDENT WITH NO BALLS. WE ARE ON OUR OWN WITH THIS PRESIDENT FOLKS.

August 1, 2012 at 2:09 pm |
    • Ken

Speak for yourself. You certainly don't speak for us. And your warped opinion is certainly not shared by us.

August 1, 2012 at 2:18 pm |
    • Roger

I'm guessing you came back from "NAM" a little messed in the head, huh?

August 1, 2012 at 3:24 pm |
    • Cynthia L.

Your newest pep talk to Al-Queda, eh?

August 1, 2012 at 5:26 pm |
    • hearmeroar

i am counting the days til i can do my part to get this guy out of the white house. romney has successfully run big businesses and knows how to make money. something we need.

August 2, 2012 at 8:53 am |
  45. CEDDY

I love it!!!!!

God Bless POTUS

August 1, 2012 at 2:14 pm |
  46. heavywords2012

NAM VET... Obama's fan base reminds me of 16 year groupies... They love anything he does. Much respect for Vets.

August 1, 2012 at 2:16 pm |
  47. NAM VET

THE BAT IS HIS A TOOL THAT AN INFAMOUS CHICAGO GANG LEADER USED TO ENFORCE HIS TROOPS. THE ONE
    WHO DIED OF SIFIYLUS WILL SERVING A SENTENCE FOR TAX EVATIION.

August 1, 2012 at 2:19 pm |
  48. Reggie19

This must be his Chicago style political prop. You better watch out before he starts using it. LOL!!! This is a publicity joke shot. It is meant to make us laugh...... He is trying to look tough

August 1, 2012 at 2:40 pm |
  49. J R

In a related story, Mitt Romney was photographed on the phone apologizing to world leaders for recent flubs, while gripping the bat of a campaign contributor.

August 1, 2012 at 2:41 pm |
  50. Hall for Obama

Just maybe the red sock or white sock gave it to him and he is holding it because he can, you silly a##.

August 1, 2012 at 3:00 pm |
  51. Scott Morris

Maybe he was speaking softly and carrying a big stick. Teddy Roosevelt style...

August 1, 2012 at 3:25 pm |
    • Cynthia L.

Ha! Was thinking the same thing. That Teddy R. snubbed the Republicans in the end, wanting to start a third party. Who could blame him.

August 1, 2012 at 5:23 pm |
      • Cynthia L

In the election, 110 yrs. ago this year, Teddy Roosevelt started the Progressive Party when he split from the Republicans. Getting the most votes in American history for an Independent party. Supporters saw it as defending the legacy of Abramham Lincoln AGAINST the big-business establishment that had taken over the Republican party after the Civil War.
        Roosevelt did not shy away from taking fearless stands on the vital issues of the day.
        The Progressive Party platform backed giving women the vote, the abolution of child-labor, minimum wages, Social Security, Public Health standards, Wildlife Conservation, Worker's Compensation Insurance against sickness and unemployment, lobbying reform, CAMPAIGN FINANCE REFORM AND ELECTION REFORM.
        Teddy Roosevelt's wise belief was that, "Reform is the antidote to Revolution"
        A famed Kansas newspaper editor William Allen White described a crowd of Roosevelt's supporters as "NOT an assembled crowd of radicals" but of successful, middle-class country town citizens.
        Proletarian and Plutocrats were ABSENT'
        Obama has been explcit about casting himself as the inheritor off Roosevelts Progressive Party fight.
        I as an Independant voter lean toward the progressive side of politics. Obama, has addressed the issues I care about and have the most in common with.
        The above information about Teddy Roosevelt above was provided by CNN Contributor John Avalon and is titled
        "What We in 2012 Can Learn From Teddy Roosevelt in 1912" today's date. August 6, 2012

August 6, 2012 at 8:01 pm |
  52. carlos

and the poooossssyyyyy mittttssssyyyy walks like he has something up his arse, such an imbecile UGH

August 1, 2012 at 3:28 pm |
  53. carlos

NAM VET.....tell me where did you serve in Viet Nam????????... I will be waiting for your answer P.o S.

August 1, 2012 at 3:30 pm |
    • LibreaBeater

Maybe his real name is John Kerry!!!

August 1, 2012 at 9:46 pm |
  54. mike k.

Where's my bat? I always think better with my bat.

(I put it in the closet. I was tripping on it.)

NEVER put my bat in the closet!

August 1, 2012 at 3:43 pm |
  55. Pat

Hi just like sports people!

August 1, 2012 at 4:00 pm |
  56. 2020

President wants to twitter the bat to Turkey president, may be he can wack Assad to his sense.

President shouldIt is evil to keep your own people.

August 1, 2012 at 4:05 pm |
  57. Obama Sucks

Obama has a long history of corruption and ties to organized crime. "Baseball bat" negotiations probably comes naturally to him.

August 1, 2012 at 4:06 pm |
    • Cynthia L.

The BOSTON GLOBE was on to Mitt Romney 10 yrs. ago when Mitt's Utah residence was proven to be llisted on his tax returns as a primary residence WHILE he was running for Mass. governor AND after saying that he had always filed under his Mass. residency. After confronted with the evidence he then tried to RETRO-ACTIVELY CHANGE the info on his PAST RETURNS that had his signature on them stating under pain of perjury that the information listed was correct. He had received tax breaks as a resident of Utah on his home there. --Was the money returned?? What did the IRS do about it?? How did he avoid jail? What happened?? He was maintaining his ties to Bain to prove to the state of Mass. that he was still a viable resident. This man is HIDING SOME NASTY THINGS AND TRYING TO GET AWAY WITH IT – PROVE US WRONG MITT!!

August 1, 2012 at 10:08 pm |
      • Busta post

The IRS is remarkably efficient on its own, and in this case Little Barry has probably got the head of IRS all over Mitts returns like a black panther on a poll entrance. And he won't let a little thing like time limitations get in his way. So, until we see Mitt hauled into tax court, we're yawning. And when it comes to dirty secrets, there's not enough room here to go into those on His Highness.

August 2, 2012 at 6:38 am |
      • hearmeroar

cynthia l.: big shot business men do not do their tax returns. even little shots get a so-called experts to do returns. i used to do mine and it was too complicated. when i hired someone i was relieved of the headache and fared better. course i run the risk of a mistake but it is not mine.

August 2, 2012 at 8:58 am |
      • Cynthia L.

@hearmeroar Big shot businessmen STILL have to sign on the dotted-line UNDER the conditions that warn of the pain of perjury and the justice that will ensue if their signature attests to the validity the information listed on the return. If Mitt says he didn't read his own tax-returns – and just signed them – what kind of man like that is suited to be signing any sort of documentation, treaty, bills coming from the Congress and Senate and proclaimations of his own office as president??
        The man is either LAZY or A LAIR with good lawyers.

August 2, 2012 at 11:52 am |
      • Cynthia L.

Will Mitt just sign on the dotted line for everything put in front of him without reading it?? This man has been running for office for 10 yrs. and you think he might......'THINK' about doing a lame thing as just signing a legal document without reading it – ESPECIALLY HIS TAX RETURNS! As president will he just be as lazy and sign everything that comes to his desk, like trade treaties, peace treaties, declarations of war, budgets from the Congress and NOT READ THEM?? I DON'T feel very confident that he'll take the time to read anything. Look at the comments he makes that are totally irresponsible and fabrications of the moment. That isn't very reassuring and it's very odd behaviour.

August 2, 2012 at 4:16 pm |
  58. Boomer in Mo

I've been known to answer the phone fresh out of the shower, completely "nekked." Wonder what the message is there?

August 1, 2012 at 4:16 pm |
  59. heavywords2012

Not a vet. My dad was. He served in 1968. Big Red 1

August 1, 2012 at 4:52 pm |
  60. Dan Mathis

No wonder we can't do anything in this country everyone argues about everything. He is hold a freaking bat who cares!

August 1, 2012 at 5:13 pm |
  61. Marie NMD

This is news becasue? So the President was holding a bat while talking on the phone.
    What is the big freakin' deal about this?
    What the lame stream media should be reporting is what the twit bully bishop said while he continued to insult the Palestinians. He went on to say that cultural differences like Chile and Ecuador and the US and Mexico also. He didn't stop at the Palestinians and kissing up to the Jews! If anyone should know about Mexican culture, though he hides it like the sign of the devil, is he and his father who was born in Mexico and his grandaddy who moved to Mexico to have lots of wives and twenty eighht children!
    This guy is the biggest loser who has ever run for president.

August 1, 2012 at 6:38 pm |
  62. g

obama has a baseball bat-republicans have dingbats

August 1, 2012 at 6:41 pm |
  63. Frank Marshall Davis

What's the big deal? ACORN and the unions issue bats to their members, no doubt that's where Obama got it. A union thug isn't completely in uniform without a bat or a club.

August 1, 2012 at 7:21 pm |
    • Cynthia L.

Newt Gingrich pointed out the fact during the primaries that Mitt even invested in FANNIE AND FREDDIE MAC.
      Oh, golly, this is fun......Next.

August 1, 2012 at 7:38 pm |
      • RL

Cynthia L. you probably even invested in Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac in your 401K. Not to many people knew what a corrupt organization it was thanks to the likes of Barney Frank the weasel from New York. A Democrat of course.

August 1, 2012 at 10:02 pm |
      • Derp

Good one, Cynthia, you sure got him. Who could argue with such a witty retort.

August 2, 2012 at 4:06 am |
      • Cynthia L.

Never would I invest my money in a 401k. Biggest reason is you do NOT KNOW HOW IT IS INVESTED.
        QUESTION: Don't you want to know how Mitt got $100 Million in his when the desposit limit is $6,000 a year?

August 2, 2012 at 5:04 pm |
  64. sdeakins

Hey, he was just voted Major League MVP for 2012.

August 1, 2012 at 7:58 pm |
  65. sdeakins

Obama was just voted MLB MVP for 2013.

August 1, 2012 at 7:59 pm |
  66. George W

Another TeamObama propaganda photo. "Speak softly, but carry a big stick." – Theodore Roosevelt.

August 1, 2012 at 8:07 pm |
  67. B. Real

This is a news story because Americans are generally stupid, lazy and sit at home doing nothing during the day. The biggest shame is that some count against unemployment stats.

August 1, 2012 at 8:10 pm |
  68. Soquel by the Creek

What? You really don't know the message that the President is sending? Apparently you never saw "The Untouchables" set in Chicago. Here's a clip with Robert De Niro. Get the message? It's not much different that the message he's sending to small business people and his "you didn't build that" speeches.

August 1, 2012 at 8:14 pm |
  69. judy

Maybe he plans to use it on thet fat old creep Frank.

August 1, 2012 at 8:31 pm |

Barney Frank?

August 1, 2012 at 10:00 pm |
      • Dick Sicario

The visual on that one is stunning.
        Barney is probably bent over waiting.

August 2, 2012 at 8:51 am |
    • DEcember 2012

YOU WISH.

HOW DO YOU LIKE THAT STORY ABOUT A COUPLE WHO COULDN'T MARRY IN THEIR CHURCH BECAUSE THEY ARE BLACK?

THAT'S OK, I'M SURE THEY HATE HOMOSEXUALS TOO.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!

August 2, 2012 at 1:12 am |
      • Steveo

I hear about that! They are wrong! They are just as wrong as any other Christian who say yes to what God said no to!

August 2, 2012 at 11:22 am |
      • DEcember 2012

SO THEY ARE WRONG TO GET MARRIED BECAUSE GOD SAYS BLACK PEOPLE SHOULD NOT GET MARRIED?

IS THAT A PASSAGE FROM YOUR KLAN BIBLE?

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!

August 2, 2012 at 5:18 pm |

@Decemeber,

What is wrong with you? THE CHURCH WAS WRONG! Are you clear now?

August 3, 2012 at 10:40 am |
  70. James B

Now he thinks he is Al Capone in the movie The Untouchables and he is threatening the american people who are not part of his team.

August 1, 2012 at 8:33 pm |
  71. JoeHoliday

Barry carries that bat when Chris Matthews ( not shown under the desk ) gets a little to bitey. Chris hopes his tingling leg helps Obungle with the tough talk .................

August 1, 2012 at 8:34 pm |
  72. sb36695

It's the Chicago way.

August 1, 2012 at 8:49 pm |
    • Cynthia L.

WHINING AGAIN . OOOOOH those BIG MEANIES in Chicago. What?? You're part of the 'Mitt-ness Protection Agency' and you HAVE TO SAY THAT???

August 1, 2012 at 10:15 pm |
      • mutt

Guess we found where Zero is parking his bat when Reggie Love not available. Obamasupporter= mentally ill moocher

August 2, 2012 at 11:44 am |
  73. Ali

That's no bat, that's the ugly stick. He is waiting for Moochie.

August 1, 2012 at 8:51 pm |
  74. Alex

"Speak softly and carry a big stick" – Teddy Roosevelt

August 1, 2012 at 8:52 pm |
  75. infidel4ever

Obozo is likely on the phone to coerce more donations for his campaign from his cronies! That's why he has the baseball bat!

August 1, 2012 at 8:55 pm |
  76. mutt

Not a bat, but a spine, courtesy Valerie Jarette

August 1, 2012 at 8:58 pm |
  77. John Farrar

I am sure it's an MLB autographed bat (probably from the White Sox and a player he doesn't even know)... he'll display in the Oval office where the Churchill bust used to be....

August 1, 2012 at 8:59 pm |
  78. Molly Pitcher

Does he know how very ridiculous he looks? Trying to look like a tough guy?? ROTFL.

August 1, 2012 at 9:07 pm |
    • GRIZZ MANN

The prez was heading to Cominsky Stadium for pitching and batting practice. Let him man up for the love of god.

August 2, 2012 at 9:48 am |
  79. Shelley

Maybe he's trying to be a bad guy by carrying a big stick.

August 1, 2012 at 9:10 pm |
  80. Buck

He has a bat, but no balls..

August 1, 2012 at 9:13 pm |
  81. Gregory

My guess is that it's a calculated publicity shot to counter the "wimp" hit piece article Newseek did on Mitt. Not buying that he is actually a baseball fan...we've all seen how he throws - he's not fooling anyone!

August 1, 2012 at 9:20 pm |
  82. Robert R. Fields Sr.

" I walk softly and carry a big stick, it's big and it's white!" Barack does Buford Pusser or thinks he can?

August 1, 2012 at 9:20 pm |
  83. Steve

Amateur.

August 1, 2012 at 9:22 pm |
  84. tina

Is this a hidden message to anyone smart or patriotic enough to think of Teddy Roosevelt and his foreign policy in a positive light when they see a guy with a big stick?

I doubt it, Obama despises that demographic.

Think Philadelphia...2008...polling place...New Black Panthers...billy clubs...intimidating white voters...prosecution inexplicably dropped even after a default by the defendants who simply ignored the court and the rule of law (sound familiar?).

THAT is the demographic this message is intended for. Count on it.

August 1, 2012 at 9:23 pm |
  85. AncestralYuba

Just giving the base a little tease. It was a candid photo, of course. (Yeah right.)

Just forget that he hits about as well as he pitches.

August 1, 2012 at 9:32 pm |
  86. AncestralYuba

Hidden message:

I'm clueless and I'm scared.

August 1, 2012 at 9:33 pm |
  87. LibreaBeater

I'm surprised this sycophant outfit (CNN) would put up such a confusing and stupid photo. I think this is just another subliminal "flipping of the bird" You know, THE CHICAGO WAY!

August 1, 2012 at 9:39 pm |
  88. patrick m flanagan

Norman Thomas Stearnes

We need to unite as a country and remember what makes us tick. Stop watching tv. Ask yourself : How will this improve my life, that which is important... When you absolutely think you gotta have whatever it is that media tries to convince you that you need...

August 1, 2012 at 9:47 pm |
  89. Coolbus

anything to make Owebama look butch.......FAIL

August 1, 2012 at 9:53 pm |
  90. patrick m flanagan

I never counted my home runs. I hit so many, I never counted them, and I'll tell you why: If they didn't win a ball game, they didn't amount to anything.

August 1, 2012 at 9:57 pm |
    • Cynthia L.

Huh??? (Irish for – Huh??)

August 3, 2012 at 3:08 am |
  91. UsedToBeDem

He looks so posed and like a child. Make no mistake, this man is evil!

August 1, 2012 at 10:01 pm |
    • Cynthia L.

I thought Chuckie was a child too until his girfriend showed up. Do suppose there'll be a sequel?

August 3, 2012 at 2:26 am |
  92. mary

Obama holding the bat....he simply does not care....plain and simple as that!!

August 1, 2012 at 10:07 pm |
  93. kerry shannon

Do you know how hard world leaders laugh at this idiot?!!

August 1, 2012 at 10:09 pm |
  94. escher7

Walk softly and carry a big stick.

August 1, 2012 at 10:15 pm |
    • Reginald Love

In Barack's case it's "Walk like you're holding in a butt plug and play with a big stick".

August 2, 2012 at 1:48 am |
  95. Rex

Nothing is done or photographed that is not orchistrated. Sad but true.

August 1, 2012 at 10:15 pm |
  96. Mikhial Zhubo Georgikopf

I don't like Osama Obama. I don't like baseball. But, WHY is this considered to be a problem? He might have been playing Whack-A-Michelle or something. Who knows? Who cares?

August 1, 2012 at 10:22 pm |
  97. Ojay

Oblivion is trying to portray himself as a Chicago thug. This is Chicago values under Rham – his number one guy.

August 1, 2012 at 10:22 pm |
  98. Ojay

Someone may grab that bat out of his metrosexual hands.

August 1, 2012 at 10:23 pm |
  99. anjas imadisan

What is bothersome is how many people are missing
    the obvious "message"...
    Do I really have to spell this out.
    This has a very specific meaning,
    it is literal, not symbolism, and
    directed to a narrow demographic
    If you have ever spent any extended time
    with the "brothers" when they are "real" around you
    it is obvious...real obvious...ya all figure it out for yourselves

August 1, 2012 at 10:27 pm |
  100. Libama

He's striking a President T. Roosevelt pose–i.e., "Speak softly and carry a big stick."

August 1, 2012 at 10:30 pm |
  101. The Navigator

What a maroon.

August 1, 2012 at 10:33 pm |
  102. Ojay

Wait a minute – Turkey is not ruled by Islamist Extremests yet . Another "dream" of his father ??

August 1, 2012 at 10:34 pm |
  103. jasonn13

Ho hum.. Why is this deserving of any media attention? Slow news day?

August 1, 2012 at 10:41 pm |
  104. targetg@aol.com

Trying to look macho just doesn't go over well for a guy who rides a girl's bike and throws, well, like a girl!

August 1, 2012 at 10:44 pm |
    • Cynthia L.

Golly target, I know he's your dad but, somebody's gotta tell him.

August 3, 2012 at 2:20 am |
  105. renrah

"That is correct comrade Prime Minister Erdogan. I am proceeding according to plan to disarm my citizens and strip the 2nd amendment from the US Constitution. As a matter of fact, I am right now, holding in my hand the only weapon that these ignorant people will be allowed to have when I am done destroying this Great Satan of a nation"

August 1, 2012 at 10:45 pm |
  106. procinctnet

Just setting a clear example for his unionista activists at election time.

August 1, 2012 at 10:51 pm |
  107. procinctnet

Just setting a clear example for his unionista activists prior to election.

August 1, 2012 at 10:52 pm |
  108. yomom69

Obama sucks!!!!

August 1, 2012 at 10:56 pm |
  109. Don L Duex

Another democrat with a bat that wants you money!

August 1, 2012 at 11:02 pm |
  110. Ken Manley

Maybe he's trying portray himself as "tough" now. Kinda' late, though, afetr his world-wide apology tour for the last 3+ years and "bowing" to other world leaders!

Also, maybe he is like Tom Cruise in "A Few Good Men" – maybe he needs his "lucky" bat to think better! (In which case, he should never let go of it!)

August 1, 2012 at 11:07 pm |
  111. Diag

Mr President the people are at the front gate with pitch forks.

August 1, 2012 at 11:10 pm |
  112. larry

Let's see his swing! I hope it's not as effeminate and humiliating as his pitching.

August 1, 2012 at 11:11 pm |
  113. marg1

We've seen obama pitch. Hysterically funny...or pathetic. Take your pick.

August 1, 2012 at 11:25 pm |
  114. Kelvin

If he swings a bat like he throws a ball, whoever is on the phone has nothing to worry about.
    Nice to see he ditched the girlie jeans though.

August 1, 2012 at 11:38 pm |
  115. John Galt

Don't think anyone is in danger if this "man" had a bat in his hands.
    Have you seen how he throws a baseball?! LOL

August 1, 2012 at 11:44 pm |
  116. tromba99

Well atleast that is not as bad as what Clinton was sometimes doing(or having done to him) while he was at that desk talking to world leaders.

August 1, 2012 at 11:47 pm |
  117. BAR

Like anyone is going to believe Obama is capable of wielding a big stick.

August 1, 2012 at 11:54 pm |
  118. Cara C

I thought he liked to wear his Mom jeans when playing baseball.

August 1, 2012 at 11:55 pm |
  119. Alex David

He's just warming up to bash more small business owners......

August 1, 2012 at 11:59 pm |
    • Cynthia L.

Maybe you should offer up your head instead.

August 3, 2012 at 1:12 am |
  120. s92543

I don't know, I keep one at easy grasp for those emergency times, I am sure that he is thinking likewise for that time when a crazed rabied dog such as Sarah Palin rushes into the Whitehouse since she still acts like she is relevant 4 years later!

August 2, 2012 at 12:04 am |
    • bobinnc

OH WOW – I'm impressed!!! Honestly, you sound like a punk-ass computer tough guy.

August 2, 2012 at 1:05 pm |
  121. Ceroth

Is Obozo getting ready to recreate the baseball bat scene from The Untouchables. I can't see him impersonating Robert DeNiro. Not manly enough.

August 2, 2012 at 12:13 am |
  122. bman2u

if he swings a bat like he throws a baseball then even pinatas can rest easy tonite...

August 2, 2012 at 12:23 am |
  123. Jim dooger

He should be holding a golf club. It would be more in his style.

August 2, 2012 at 12:45 am |
  124. T

A baseball bat; isn't that "The Chicago way?"

August 2, 2012 at 12:50 am |
  125. John Smith

"White House Press Secretary Jay Carney was asked about the photo on Tuesday and promised get some answers but so far nothing." Just like the Obama administration, so far nothing...

August 2, 2012 at 12:55 am |
  126. FredKelly

It's Chicagoan for "hello".

August 2, 2012 at 1:00 am |
  127. Pink panther

Where is his mom jeans that he normally pairs with baseball items? I think the only meaning for The Fresh Prince of Bill Ayers a bat has is phallic. He's missing Reggie Love.

August 2, 2012 at 1:03 am |
  128. Winslow

Is this supposed to impress me? What a fake and a fraud. Am I supposed to believe he is really speaking to someone on the other end of that phone? Whomever it is was, was doing all the talking while Obama slept.
    Time to get rid of this human debris!

August 2, 2012 at 1:14 am |
  129. Dek Fastmail.com

Is this the best most important news that CNN can come up with?

August 2, 2012 at 1:16 am |
  130. Adolf Fiinkensein

Don't the idiots realise Al Capone was the last Chicago gangster to wield a baseball bat? It was his favorite method of execution. The victim would be invited to a lavish round table dinner with the inner circle and after a time Capone would circle the room, swishing his bat. Nobody dared look around. When the sweat was pouring out of the victim Capone would swing the bat over his head and splatter the 'traitor's' brains all over the spaghetti marinara.

Is Karl Rove paying these fools in the White House.?

August 2, 2012 at 1:17 am |
  131. oxycon

I'd like to see that sissy Obama swing that bat.
    He rides girls bicycles while wearing children's bike helmets.
    He throws like a girl while wearing Mom jeans.
    He bowls a 36 over 9 frames.
    He's the only kid on his High School basketball team that couldn't dunk.
    Next time he tries showing off on the basketball court, everyone should tell him to dunk it.

August 2, 2012 at 1:22 am |
  132. Ken Manley

Maybe he's trying portray himself as "tough" now. Kinda' late, though, after his world-wide apology tour for the last 3+ years and "bowing" to other world leaders!

Gonna' post it this time? If not, why not?

August 2, 2012 at 1:23 am |
    • Ken Manley

Thanks!

August 2, 2012 at 1:28 am |
  133. Reginald Love

Me and Barry had a lot of fun with that bat every time Michelle was away on one of her fancy vacays. Too bad she caught us and made me quit being Barry's "body man".

August 2, 2012 at 1:28 am |
  134. Mike

This is a very, very lame attempt for Obama to seem more American. This reminds me of Al Gore's passionate kiss. It's so staged and transparent.

This is right in line with everything else Obama has done in the past several months. He was against gays for 3 1/2 years. Now he's for them for political reasons. He was against amnesty for illegal immigrants for 3 1/2. Now he's for it for political reasons. He's never had any connection with baseball for 3 1/2 year. Now, he's holding a baseball bat in a lame attempt to portray himself as in touch with regular Americans.

Obama's getting really, really desparate.

August 2, 2012 at 1:51 am |
  135. dharc

...maybe obama is getting ready for the election in november, he's going to the voting boothes with the new black panthers, to take a few swings...The documents reveal that political appointees within DOJ were conferring about the status and resolution of the New Black Panther Party case in the days preceding the DOJ’s dismissal of claims in that case, which would appear to contradict Assistant Attorney General Perez’s testimony that political leadership was not involved in that decision....So the white house was behind the black panthers getting off scot free for voter intimidation.

August 2, 2012 at 2:15 am |
  136. frank k.

One can only hope that he can "swing-a-bat" a whole lot better than he can "throw-a-ball." .... frank k. (N.Va.)

August 2, 2012 at 2:24 am |
    • Cynthia L.

So, Frank, did yer girl ever get over that crappy looking stuffed animal you won her at the fair?

August 3, 2012 at 2:58 am |
  137. MostlyRight

This photo reminds me of the time Obama attempted to throw a first pitch in a major league game. That was funny. And now I'm thinking about bike helmets and mom jeans.

August 2, 2012 at 3:21 am |
  138. jhffmn

Needs a caption: Obama returns to Chicago politics roots.

Anyone who voted to nationalize the politics of the most corrupt city in the world needs a lobotomy. The results so far has been predictable. Crony capitalism and reach arounds for the party loyalists while the rest of the country rots and decays.

August 2, 2012 at 3:32 am |
  139. dogsagainstobama

Why? Because it's PEANUT BUTTER JELLY TIME!

PEANUT BUTTER JELLY
    PEANUT BUTTER JELLY
    PEANUT BUTTER JELLY AND A BASEBALL BAT
    PEANUT BUTTER JELLY
    PEANUT BUTTER JELLY
    PEANUT BUTTER JELLY AND A BASEBALL BAT
    PEANUT BUTTER JELLY
    PEANUT BUTTER JELLY
    PEANUT BUTTER JELLY AND A BASEBALL BAT
    PEANUT BUTTER JELLY
    PEANUT BUTTER JELLY
    PEANUT BUTTER JELLY AND A BASE BALL BAT!!!!!

BASEBALL BAT
    ITS PEANUT BUTTER JELLY TIME NOW
    BASEBALL BAT

ay bay bay
    AY BAY BAY!
    fuck that...

AYYYYYYYYYYYYY

August 2, 2012 at 3:44 am |
  140. Shirley Phelps

Geezzz. Why is this a news story? It's summer time. Baseball is America's sport (along w/football). The man is holding a baseball bat. Sometimes, to paraphrase Freud, "A baseball bat is just a baseball bat."

August 2, 2012 at 4:21 am |
    • Dick Sicario

" A baseball bat is just a baseball bat "
      Not in the hands of a muslim.

August 2, 2012 at 8:48 am |
  141. shaboozie

Why is everyone trying to read so much into this. It is a perfectly innocent snap. Obama is simply talking on the phone to Reggie Love trying to nail down the date for their next fishing trip to Brokeback Mountain.

August 2, 2012 at 4:39 am |
  142. Jon

I kinda like that. Maybe it's a new phase of international negotiation,
    "Before we leave this room We will have either your signature or your brains on that peace treaty."

August 2, 2012 at 5:16 am |
  143. Yup

Since we've seen him throw, we know he's never played baseball so why does he have a bat? Who knows but that's not how normal people would mindlessly hold a bat while talking on the phone. He's stroking it, not holding it.

August 2, 2012 at 5:25 am |
  144. bo

i'm thinking A Few Good Men....where tom cruise needs his bat to think

August 2, 2012 at 5:42 am |
  145. Barry Pantywaist

We all know that he is less athletic than a 7 year old kid so this is to just show how cool he can be. I mean come on, compare his opening pitch (where he even puts his hat on crooked) to GW's. There is no comparison. Barry throws like a fluffer. He sucks at basketball as well. Those that play against him take it easy so he can look good when they show the highlights on CNN. Don't get me started on his horrible golf game...

And no, this isn't a walk softly carry a big stick moment either. Those interpreting it as anything else than just a photo snap with a simple bat in his hand probably should check their kool-aid levels of their Obama mugs.

August 2, 2012 at 6:13 am |
  146. shaboozie

What a tough guy. I'd bet that he smokes unfiltered cigarettes and opens beer bottles with his teeth. He's so tough he eats his steak rare, wears Old Spice aftershave, and has no idea who Joy Behar is. He's like John Wayne, Rudy Ray Moore, and Bruce Lee rolled into one devastating punch to the liver. How could one possibly not cast a vote for such a tough guy?

August 2, 2012 at 6:29 am |
    • Dick Sicario

Very very easily.....

August 2, 2012 at 8:46 am |
  147. Busta post

It's usually an 8 iron. But Obama has a "white guy problem"...blue collar working men...and his handlers hid the golf clubs and gave him a bat. You'll see a lot more of this in the comming weeks. Bag of donuts, lunch pail, that kind of thing.

August 2, 2012 at 6:30 am |
  148. mary

But if this was Bush CNN and the media would be whining "Bush sends nasty signal to world allies with baseball bat". Followed by a an article filled with derision and mocking him.

It isn't hard for 75% of Americans to see the socialist agenda and bias of the media.

August 2, 2012 at 6:33 am |
  149. PurpleEyes

Chicago Thug...... Such DIGNITY for the People's White House....

This mUST BE a publicity shot... not very Presidential.

This Community Organizer / Thug is leading the charge.

August 2, 2012 at 6:35 am |
  150. Trudge1

He is still dreaming about that time he creepily snuck up behind McCain during the debates.

August 2, 2012 at 6:36 am |
  151. Chloe

What's the big deal? SOme of the comments are really lame as are the people posting those comments. Why are you numnuts making this a political thing? It's a FREAKIN' BASEBALL BAT!! Better than a cigarette or a glass of beer. Grow up you "butt kissin' Romney supporters".

August 2, 2012 at 6:59 am |
  152. Norris Allen

The bat was brought to the office for the picture. This guy has never played baseball ,I have seen him throw, this is Chicago style politics. What kind of leader would have a photographer in the room while he was dealing in high priority discussions .Maybe the photographer is the white house leak.

August 2, 2012 at 7:14 am |
    • Trudge1

He throws a ball like a girl.
      haa hha haa

August 2, 2012 at 8:47 am |
  153. Tom

You should see what he has in his hand when talking to Nancy Pelosi or David Beckham

August 2, 2012 at 7:17 am |
    • Dick Sicario

A used Clinton cigar perhaps ?

August 2, 2012 at 8:45 am |
  154. Zypldot

It's nothing more than a prop. This puppet President is nothing more than a putz that is in over his head who needs a prop to hold himself up ... wait, a bat? I was talking about CNN. It will be great when we get someone in there who knows how to run a business AND make a profit instead of tearing everyone down (including the country) to 'level the playing field'.

August 2, 2012 at 7:33 am |
  155. jatfla

Someone is fixin' to come in (when he's finished the call) to autograph his very own Louisville Slugger.

August 2, 2012 at 7:40 am |
  156. Ctmom

Of course he just happened to have a baseball bat hanging around the office! Look closer, I think Axelrod forgot to remove the price tag.

August 2, 2012 at 7:44 am |
    • Dick Sicario

Axelrod, must have replaced the bible he had removed, and replaced it with the bat.

Remember. Obama was re-sworn in to office the next day after the official sware in date,
      In the oval office because of the wording the goof,

His hand not on a bible, first president to ever do so.

August 2, 2012 at 8:43 am |

.....Yawn......

August 2, 2012 at 4:56 pm |
  157. johnny

If he swings a bat anything like he throws a baseball, then I wouldn't be too concerned with his "big stick"approach. Can't believe we traded cowboy boots and a swagger for mom jeans.

August 2, 2012 at 7:48 am |
  158. neal

100% STAGED! ... It sickens me that the prez needs to stoop this low for votes.

August 2, 2012 at 7:51 am |
    • Streeky Dee

At least the phone isn't upsidedown in his ear!

August 2, 2012 at 8:20 am |
    • smfic

Come on people. This is just more staged phoniness. Obama uses whatever he can- at the moment-to push his agenda. Romney just had a good overseas trip where he absolutely shat on Obummer's lack of support for Israel. Romney was forceful but proper and let it be known that Israel, not the Palestinian terrorists, was our key ally. So what does The Regime do? Put a stupid picture out there of Barry holding a bat, in a manner to indicate he's stomping it while talking to another country's leader. How forceful of the man-child! I'm shocked that Moochelle didn't rip it from his spindly little fingers and knock him over the head for being the b*tch he is.
      Anyone doubting this isn't 100% staged is either a fool or drinking the Kool-Aid.

August 2, 2012 at 8:47 am |
  159. tateofpa

He is from Chicago where the murder rate is world class rank #1, but those in elected office would sooner threaten a business that feed and hire people then do something with the murder rate.

August 2, 2012 at 7:59 am |
    • GeorgiaPeachie

He's got bigger things to worry about ya know? Only a short time left to try to make those EVIL BUSINESS OWNERS pay up!!

August 2, 2012 at 8:28 am |
      • Cynthia L.

Sh-hhh,....tell Rupert Murdoch,.........pass it on.

August 3, 2012 at 1:52 am |
    • Dick Sicario

His buddy Rahman, has just insured that Chik-Fil-A will become the most visited and profitable fast food chain in Chicago.

August 2, 2012 at 8:36 am |
  160. uncdig

News flash – he wasnt trying to look tough, the phone rang & interupted top level wiffle ball with biden. By the way some polls show Obama leading with 50% of the points ounted.....

August 2, 2012 at 8:10 am |
    • Trudge1

Hee hee hee
      He said wiffle ball and Biden in the same sentence.

August 2, 2012 at 8:50 am |
  161. Loki

Talk softly but carry a big...bat.

August 2, 2012 at 8:12 am |
  162. Streeky Dee

The O,Liar is trying to walk softly BUT he CAN'T carry a big schtick!

Just watch out if he is re-elected:

Obama plans to carry out in his second term

•Stealth plans that grant amnesty to even MORE illegals—all done through executive orders and agency directives.
    •New restrictions on apprehending illegals who will be part of what they will call the “vulnerable population.” Vulnerable defined as anyone who provides support to minor children, parents or other dependents and those who have medical or mental health needs. Yep, pretty much ALL illegals.
    •It would no longer be legal to apprehend undocumented persons on the premises or in the vicinity of more than 20 public places – and don’t dare try to apprehend the pregnant or disabled illegals. Insanity!!!
    •Caps would be removed on highly restricted visas—someone thinks the US isn’t giving out enough green cards. Talk about balls!
    •Registration of illegals would be snatched from Congress and placed with an agency in the executive branch. Can you say communist state?
    •Register the new illegals as voters. Of course, and next thing you know O’Fraud would be changing terms limits for the president of the United States—with all the “new Americans” behind him.
    •Government-funded, neighborhood-based programs to integrate the newly amnestied immigrants into society, including education centers and health care centers. Mmmm hmmm, and who’s going to pay for THAT? We are.
    •A 21st century version of FDR’s Works Progress Administration program within the Department of Labor that would oversee a massive new bureaucracy and millions of new federal jobs.
    •Swiping control of the military budget from Congress by placing an ”independent panel” in charge of military spending—while slashing our defense budget to jaw dropping levels. Talk about feeling stripped naked with no protection!
    •Enacting single-payer health care legislation controlled by…the federal government. The same federal government who has never run a successful program in its history. God help us all.

August 2, 2012 at 8:19 am |
    • Cynthia L.

You've never heard of the Department of Immigration I can tell. But, I guess we should just chalk it up to the fact you've just been set free from your bomb-shelter after locking yourself in and losing the key missing the last half of second grade, all of third, fourth, fifth, sixth, seventh, eighth, ninth, tenth, eleventh AND grade twelve.

August 2, 2012 at 4:30 pm |
  163. GeorgiaPeachie

***CAPTION***

This makes me feel like a real MAN!

August 2, 2012 at 8:27 am |
  164. Dick Sicario

He has an inner desire to join sone of his sons and go out and beat up some white tourist or convention goer in downtown Chicago.

August 2, 2012 at 8:32 am |
  165. VancouverAndy

He can't even throw all the way to home plate, from the mound, so how would we expect him to know how to use that bat?

CNN is following in the path of all JournOlists, by puffing his non-record up as much as possible while "gaffeing" to death Mitt Romney, likes he's never signed the FRONT of thousands of paychecks.

Wake up CNN, your love affair is way too obvious.

August 2, 2012 at 8:46 am |
  166. SpiderMike

Talk about a staged photo. What a joke! Is that the big stick Biden said Obama had? Just what I would expect from a two bit Chicago thug. Oh well, his pink slip is in the mail.

August 2, 2012 at 8:47 am |
  167. john

he'd strike out, he's better suited for a catcher, he's got the ears...

August 2, 2012 at 8:49 am |
  168. HansJurgen

It's a "secret signal" to his Black Panther gangsta army to get ready to start race riots, burnings, looting, killing, .... so that Obummer can instate Martial Law (look it up) and stay in power.

August 2, 2012 at 8:50 am |
    • Trudge1

Either that or he's worrying about some court ruling where he'll have to hand over his Blackberry.
      In that case he'll bash it in.
      Think of all the traitorous names he has in there to undermine America.

August 2, 2012 at 10:21 am |
      • Cynthia L.

Yeah, yer probably right about him having Michele Bachman's number. Only problem is, she always calls from the utility closet behind the mops.

August 3, 2012 at 1:34 am |
    • Cynthia L.

Can I order some handcream from you online here, or do I have to buy it at your lemonade stand on Saturdays?

August 3, 2012 at 2:17 am |
  169. Trudge1

I read that Trumka from the Union just visited him.
    Maybe he gave the Prez that bat.
    Best check for DNA on that bat as crazy as Trumka is.

August 2, 2012 at 8:53 am |
  170. Larry

The president and his football bat, or he thinks he is Deniro in the Untouchables.

August 2, 2012 at 8:56 am |
  171. What a joke!

If you read the caption, you'll notice that it is an "Official White House Photo by Pete Souza." Read : STAGED. It appears that he's no more talking to Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdoğan of Turkey than I am. This is just a photo opt to make him 1) appear to be tough & 2) appear all-American (baseball is "America's pastime"). He struggles to be believable in either role.

August 2, 2012 at 9:00 am |
    • Trudge1

Me thinks he should of went with the apple pie.

August 2, 2012 at 10:23 am |
  172. zepset

I'm guessing that it's a balsa wood bat.

August 2, 2012 at 9:04 am |
  173. Joe Smith

He watched "The Untouchables" last night and thinks he's Al Copane.

August 2, 2012 at 9:13 am |
  174. tinkerthinker

It's clear as day...the message is...he's a ding..bat.

August 2, 2012 at 9:17 am |
  175. Pronghorn

At the end of the article is: "Topics: President Obama • Turkey" That says it all.

August 2, 2012 at 9:19 am |
  176. lpetrou

I would rather have the President talk to a world leader with a baseball bat in his hand than a cigar. Remember when .....

August 2, 2012 at 9:22 am |
  177. rjay whit

This is an offical oval office photo purposely taken and published for a reason. What was the strategy/intent behind it?

August 2, 2012 at 9:23 am |
  178. Texas Freedom

Well, at least in this fake photo op, he's not holding the phone handset upside down . . .

August 2, 2012 at 9:25 am |
  179. Texas Freedom

Okay, it's easy to figure out how this scenario played out. Obama's in his office, door closed, pretending he's actually capable of something great . . . when the phone rings.

August 2, 2012 at 9:27 am |
    • Cynthia L.

Texas sure proved they are far from something great. Heck, who knew there were any Cubans in Texas and the only one living there ran in the Repulican primaries for Senate and won when he vowed to fight against a dangerous United Nations plan 'on environmenal sustainability' HE SAID was aimed at ABOLISHING GOLF COURSES AND PAVED ROADS!!! .....A regular real-live Wylie Coyote Cowboy with a golf bag.–BEEP-BEEP!!

August 3, 2012 at 1:07 am |
  180. Mike

He's got a firm yet gentle grasp around the base. As long as his form is good and he remembers the balls, I'll give our first gay prez a 9.5.

August 2, 2012 at 9:29 am |
  181. Joe Truth

Probably talking about how he will enforce his nanny state control over every liberty of the citizen.

August 2, 2012 at 9:34 am |
  182. tee time

After over 80 rounds of golf in the last year and a half, I hear he sucks and constantly has to manipulate the ball just like the voters he has decided to to take up a new game called beat up the taxpayer. Actually he has the bat to protect himself from moochelle when she comes in ragging on him for going to Chick Fil A with most of what's right about America and not bringing her fat *** something back

August 2, 2012 at 9:37 am |
  183. dgal

Well at least he learned how to talk on phone the right way...instead of holding the phone upside down...He is getting better at it, now holding a bat at the same time...

August 2, 2012 at 9:37 am |
  184. Robert-n-Austin

this is why CNN is failing news network; more mindless pablum for the masses to irrationally seethe over and air heads to blather about. If this were a black and white of JFK they'd all be shouting "Baseball, hotdogs, apple pie and a Chevrolet!"

August 2, 2012 at 9:37 am |
  185. bobinnc

Most people take notes when they're having an important conversation. I'm sure the Leader of Turkey is pleased to see that Barry (disrespect intended) has so little focus on the relationship between Turkey and the United States.

96 days baby – and there is NOTHING barry and his sheeple can do about it.

August 2, 2012 at 9:47 am |
  186. tee time

Most prsidents don't need a photo op to show they were actually working... Wonder how many times Barry had to turn to the photographer and say "did I look tough enough that time?" Let's try it again... At least my wife and mother in law don't know where the beating stick is toda....

August 2, 2012 at 9:50 am |
  187. tateofpa

I would think that those of you in Chicago would have more to worry about then a company that feeds and hires people. When your city ranks 1 in the world for murder that’s higher than even those town on the boarder of Mexico that had drug lords running them. They are killing those who support Chick fil a and those in the gay communities, yet there is more outrage toward a single man and his personal believe, then they care about those being murder in their city. Wake up America there are far bigger problems facing us!

August 2, 2012 at 9:56 am |
  188. Helloseekers

Not as funny as Putin shirtless on horseback, but a hell of a lot more pathetic.

August 2, 2012 at 10:12 am |
    • Cynthia L.

Sorry, but the MOST PATHETIC was Russian TV showing Putin scoring against a Professional Hockey Team. THAT WAS PATHETIC!!
      Second place pathetic picture is of Mitt riding on the back of a jet-ski behind his wife.

August 2, 2012 at 4:52 pm |
      • Steveo

May have been pathetic but the hockey team gets to live!

August 2, 2012 at 7:00 pm |
      • Cynthia L.

Can you imagine the fate of the poor guy who might've fallen in front of the net by accident?....Hm-mm, just wondering if Siberia is cold this time of year.....

August 3, 2012 at 1:42 am |
  189. tee time

"Uh Rahm, you left this bat in your old office" "Looks like you may need it up there to help your gangs beat the crap out of some religious, right wing nuts trying to get some food"

August 2, 2012 at 10:13 am |
  190. Kala

Topics: President Obama • Turkey LOL This was at the bottom of the page. It is really pathetic to release this picture. It's almost as bad as John Kerry on his surf n sail picture.

The President is mocking himself. We are laughing at you Obama.

August 2, 2012 at 10:14 am |
  191. Comrade Axelrod

I could give him a suggestion on where he could stick that bat.

August 2, 2012 at 10:34 am |
  192. UnCoqui

Mr. President...that's a bat you're holding. Better stick to basketball and leave baseball to those that know how to use a BAT. You're not playing an extra in the movie "Walking Tall", leave that to the professionals.

August 2, 2012 at 10:34 am |
  193. DizzyDean

Oh, brother.... Of course there's meaning behind it – Team Obama sees itself as very media saavy.

Unfortunately, we've all seen him throw a baseball, and clearly it's not because he has had much exposure to baseball. My nine-year-old throws far harder and more accurately than Mr. Obama. Actually, most of the eight-year-olds I coach throw harder as well.

August 2, 2012 at 10:47 am |
  194. Trudge1

In the background the Statue of Liberty is giving him the finger.

August 2, 2012 at 10:59 am |
  195. Andrew

This story/comment thread have shown me two things:

1. Apparently, there's either no one editing in the CNN newsroom:

and

2. There are some trolls up in here.

August 2, 2012 at 10:59 am |
  196. bwanadave

I think it is more Freudian, another attempt at the Gay vote? Perhaps he was advised that playing with his putter wouldn't go over too well. No matter what the excuse it is disrespectful of Turkey.

August 2, 2012 at 11:07 am |
  197. Proud Pilgrim

You all are missing the point. Look closer. You will see that the bat has the Obama logo right next to the new black panther label. Barry is using stimulus funds to but new bats for the NBPP to use at a voting station near you. he was one the phone with Eric Holder debating the best way to ensure that the department of Just' us doesn't inadvertently enforce the rule of law on these poor racial thugs who will see to it all the folks vote right and not white.

August 2, 2012 at 11:07 am |
  198. Terry

The bat belongs to Michelle.....

August 2, 2012 at 11:14 am |
  199. rlo

Not an O fan but who cares?
    1) Maybe just received it and was holding it instead of doodling.
    2) He really needs a homerun after so many strike outs.
    3) Bill and Hilary were outside wanting in to measure for new drapes.
    4) Michelle just picked a bunch of watercress from her garden and was bringing him his healthy sandwich.

August 2, 2012 at 11:17 am |
  200. howardfrombroward

mebbe the swan-in-chief is trying to get folks to forget that gurly man opening game pitch by a bit*h. what a maroon.

August 2, 2012 at 11:27 am |
  201. Don Anastas

Yeah – this is real news.

August 2, 2012 at 11:34 am |
  202. vonnoosh

If this picture were of Bill Clinton, he'd be holding something else.

August 2, 2012 at 12:15 pm |
  203. nolff

This is not news. It's benign minutia.

August 2, 2012 at 12:25 pm |
  204. bo1921

Does anybody really believe he knows how to use that bat? I bet my wife could strike him out, pitching from the mound of a Major League field. It's a dead cert she could.

August 2, 2012 at 12:26 pm |
  205. guyfromearth

He's holding a bat because he has no idea what else he could hold with his right hand. Someone should tell him, wishing won't make it happen.

August 2, 2012 at 12:34 pm |
  206. Pouncekitty

Obama and Hillary have made a complete, absolute, utter MESS of the middle east. They've done more damage, let more bad things happen, let the whole thing spin out of control. Obama and Hillary are the world's most dangerous criminals.

August 2, 2012 at 12:36 pm |
    • Cynthia L.

Sounds like your kitty litter box is full again.

August 3, 2012 at 12:50 am |
  207. UnCoqui

What a NERD. Does Obama thinks he's still in Chicago?

August 2, 2012 at 12:45 pm |
  208. Mazzydan

And this is news why?

August 2, 2012 at 12:57 pm |
  209. Ernie Zippreplat

Baseball Bat in hand while in a confrenence, reminds you of Al Capone!

August 2, 2012 at 1:15 pm |
  210. Cryos

===============
    He's fattening it up for Thanksgiving dinner.

August 2, 2012 at 1:42 pm |
  211. MrT

He went from the basketball to the baseball – they're getting smaller.

August 2, 2012 at 1:44 pm |
  212. Joe Truth

If this communist wins again it will be enough to make one take up narcotics to inoculate themselves from reality. Spend their last two years of high school in a daze, locking away the questions that life seems insistent on imposing, playing basketball, attending classes sparingly, drinking beer heavily, and try drugs enthusiastically, discovering that it didn't make any difference if you smoke reefer in the white class mates sparkling new van, or in the dorm room with some brother you'd meet down at the gym, or on the beach with a couple of Hawaiian kids who had dropped out of school and now spent most of their time looking for an excuse to brawl.

August 2, 2012 at 2:08 pm |
    • Tim Crowley

How sad for you Joe that you have no idea what Communisim is. The President hasn't put forth any policies that are communistic in any way. Please learn what the terms mean.

August 2, 2012 at 2:32 pm |
  213. SARGESGIFTSHOP.com

Why is this news...??????

August 2, 2012 at 2:11 pm |
  214. kingjojo

Obama holds a bat, Clinton held the back of M.L.'s melon!!

August 2, 2012 at 2:15 pm |
  215. LADY CON

Headline should read: In A Pathetic Attempt To Look Like A Badass Obama Speaks With......

August 2, 2012 at 2:16 pm |
    • LADY CON

I see you posted a comment after mine, yet mine's still awaiting moderation? Fine – everyone knows Obama's not a badass already – sorry for speaking the unabridged truth here.... delete the thing – I know YOU people never use that word on the air

August 2, 2012 at 4:18 pm |
  216. NAM VET

THIS IS FOR "CARLOS". I FLEW WITH THE F-100 SQDS. OUT OF BIEN HOA. NAM WAS A BEAUTIFUL COUNTRY WITH
    MANY WONDERFUL PEOPLE. ENJOYED BOMIBOM BEERS AND LOCAL FOOD. DID MY JOB AND ROTATED HOME.

August 2, 2012 at 2:22 pm |
    • Cynthia L.

The Welcome Home Iraq Veterans Chicago Parade is DEC. 15th celebrating the 1st anniversery of the end of the war. Also, honoring Viet Nam, Gulf War veterans.
      Please send messages supporting New York City's chance to have their own parade to the Pentagon.
      BE THERE OR BE SQUARE. Show your support by passing along the dates of any parades that may be schuduled in cities near you.

August 2, 2012 at 4:46 pm |
  217. michael

The White house will come out with the answer that focus groups, advisor, and hack have determined to gather the most votes. WIll not mean anything more than that.

August 2, 2012 at 2:23 pm |
  218. Tim Crowley

Sometimes, a bassball bat is just a baseball bat. try reporting the news.

August 2, 2012 at 2:31 pm |
  219. jb80538

Barry loves to have a long hard cylindrical object in his hands.

August 2, 2012 at 3:31 pm |
  220. Brian K

He is thinking man i had to work 4 hours today and have not had a vactation in days, I would rather be playing softball.

August 2, 2012 at 3:44 pm |
  221. Making Sense

That's the bat Zippy uses to defend himself when Michelle is throwing the Lincoln china at him!

August 2, 2012 at 3:58 pm |
  222. Retired

He's just remembering how much he misses Reggie.

August 2, 2012 at 4:01 pm |
  223. Joseph

Simple: It's a photo-op shot to make him look like he's "tough" on foreign policy.

August 2, 2012 at 4:05 pm |
  224. Rho

Oh brother! LOL@ the American Badass. :)

August 2, 2012 at 4:56 pm |
  225. Lord Stirling

Reminds me of the dinner scene from The Untouchables where Al Capone comes out with a baseball bat and beats a guys head into the table while he's eating.

If Obama was Capone (Obama's actually a bigger criminal responsible for far more deaths) in that movie, this would be what would have taken place right before the dinner scene as Obama finds out his associate is a traitor.

Obviously this photo is a fake publicity stunt, just like the war room pictures from during the Osama Bin Laden assassination.

August 2, 2012 at 5:14 pm |
    • Cynthia L.

Remember when you went to see the movie 'Bambi" and cried when his mother got snuffed??

August 3, 2012 at 2:08 am |
    • Tam

A Few Good Men

August 5, 2012 at 7:13 am |
  226. Just thinking

I think he just removed it so he could sit down.

August 2, 2012 at 6:00 pm |
  227. A. Bowman

A completely innocuous photo. But apparently CNN feels there must be some "SYMBOLIC MEANING" to the President holding a baseball bat, to the extent that they felt the need to write this banal STORY about it, and ASK THE WHITE HOUSE what the "meaning" of it was.

The LIBOR bank scandal – THAT's not news – but the President holding a baseball bat to help him think...that's worthy of a news story.

And CNN wonders why they're slipping in the ratings. *facepalm*

August 2, 2012 at 6:15 pm |
  228. K Betz

It's Chicago politics. He thinks he's Al Capone.

August 2, 2012 at 10:58 pm |
  229. JFun

Leave it to the GOP to whine every chance they get. GOP/Repubs stop whining.

August 3, 2012 at 2:44 am |
  230. liutrghkl

HATE THE ANTI AMERICAN NRA

August 3, 2012 at 1:57 pm |
  231. Ali Karp

A Turkish journalist suggested that next time the two talk, the Turkish prime minister should have something in his hand. Maybe a slipper, or a belt, or perhaps a rolling pin...

August 4, 2012 at 12:31 am |
    • Cynthia L.

Well, how about sending their favorite of their mother's amazing,Turkish receipes, Golly, who wouldn't be transported to a heavenly, happy place, just thinking about that. A mouthwatering photo would be good. Mmmmmmmm....yes, yes, yes........

August 4, 2012 at 10:55 pm |
  232. gman

Should this really be news about some guy holding a bat. if he was holding an RPG id be worried. Plus Cynthiag needs to quit being such a bich

August 5, 2012 at 1:39 am |
  233. Tam

Remember "A Few Good Men" - the lawyer "thinks better with a bat in his hands" in planning strategy (he's a big baseball fan). Baseball for Americans is a sport. Geeze.

August 5, 2012 at 7:12 am |
  234. rickbull

He thinks he's fracking Teddy Roosevelt. Barry, what do you hold in your right hand when you're talking to Putin–the doomsday football????

August 5, 2012 at 10:08 pm |