November 6th, 2012

His days as a candidate over, Obama to lie low awaiting results

(CNN) – The final curtain isn't likely to fall on this presidential election until the wee hours of Wednesday morning, but President Barack Obama's moment to exit the stage came more than 24 hours earlier.

With the imposing Iowa State Capitol looming over a soggy crowd that bore near-freezing temperatures in windswept Des Moines, Obama made his last major appearance of the 2012 campaign to urge the more than 20,000 supporters to maintain the enthusiasm that first catapulted him from a fresh-faced senator to presidential front-runner nearly five years ago.

Flanked by first lady Michelle Obama and rock star Bruce Springsteen, Obama's final bow came in the Hawkeye State as the clock approached midnight there, marking at long last the arrival of Election Day and the end of the president's last campaign - 105 rallies after kicking off his re-election effort in Ohio and Virginia seven months prior.

Full story

Topics: 2012 Election

1. Jay in NC

Obama, please pay your $6 trillion bar tab before you leave the building. And, take your drunk friend Joe with you.

November 6, 2012 at 1:17 pm |
    • eddieb

rght after ragen and the bushes pay there bar tab then us dems will take the rest and create more jobs..

November 6, 2012 at 1:33 pm |
      • Lizzie

Just like ALL the shovel ready jobs created last time around. Do Pres.Obamas 1% and the UNIONS need a bailout again.

November 6, 2012 at 1:40 pm |
      • Caramon

Eddie, job creation under President Reagan averaged 350K per month. Economic growth was around 5 percent. How does what we have seen during the past four years compare?

November 6, 2012 at 1:48 pm |
      • rosco

he could only create a hemoroid (you), no clue about business except how to tax them to death, are you also that stupid???

November 6, 2012 at 5:06 pm |
      • thecardinalsopinion

I'm a liberal, and I completly support Obama, however, I don't think what you said is accurate. Reagan had a good grip on the ecomony, and it was lost when Bush was president, but I don't think it was all his fault. Democrats had a majority in congress, and I certanly believe we were extremely divided at that point. So yes, I do think Bush is mostly resonsible, you can't say that democrats had nothing to do with it

November 7, 2012 at 9:27 am |
    • CHRIS IN NY

Bush will first pay the debt he left us with in 2008. Then we might begin to talk about Obama's.

November 6, 2012 at 3:17 pm |
    • Stephanie

It's funny...you're probably apart of that 47% Romney doesn't give a shit about. Romney is a 100% liar only an idiot couldn't see his blatant lies that he didn't even have the balls to take back. This Presidential race is about race. Vote Romney so we can see the real chaos this country will be in at the hands of an idiot!

November 6, 2012 at 6:52 pm |
      • Jay in NC

Typical Liberal hate speech.

November 6, 2012 at 7:55 pm |
  2. Reggie19

Why did Obama not go back to New Jersey for another photo op. The reason being is that he does not have time for that........he used Christie to make him look good and I am sorry that Christie was sucked into such a deceptive thing. Obama only cares for Obama and nobody else. He cares absolutely nothing for the American people. I wish they would wake and see the man for what he is..........a failure!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

November 6, 2012 at 1:19 pm |
    • oldeskoolfan

Or maybe he was being presidential and actually caring about people that have recently suffered tremendously? Your attempts to politicize an issue as serious as Hurricane Sandy are disgusting.

November 6, 2012 at 1:32 pm |
      • Reggie19

It was just a photo op for him....it meant absolutely nothing to him or he would have been back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

November 6, 2012 at 1:36 pm |
      • Lizzie

Go to LMAObama.com and you will get a good laugh, or maybe some of it maybe be the truth

November 6, 2012 at 1:43 pm |
      • rosco

the only thing bambam cares about is destructing america are you really that stupid???

November 6, 2012 at 5:03 pm |
    • Debbie

Idiot!!!

November 6, 2012 at 2:08 pm |
    • Sofie

but you have NO problem with Romney visiting NO one and that he did rallies the ENTIRE time people where being hit with a storm... Romney stans are so funny

November 6, 2012 at 3:16 pm |
      • rosco

bammy ran to vegas and hid while our embassy was under attack face it hes aturd, coward

November 6, 2012 at 5:07 pm |
    • CHRIS IN NY

2005=Katrina!! Katrina!! Katrina!1 =Nush, Bush, Bush. Need iI say more. Jealousy is the root of hatred.

November 6, 2012 at 3:19 pm |
      • rosco

if bush is such a loser, why do you a$$hos always compare oblunder to him??? dork

November 6, 2012 at 5:02 pm |
    • thecardinalsopinion

Typical hating on a Liberal. What evidence do you have that Obama hates every single american. I for one, and I think others would agree with me, think that Obama was concerned about what happened up there.

November 7, 2012 at 9:25 am |
  3. kinara Tobias

any latest news of the US voting results?

November 6, 2012 at 1:28 pm |
    • Steveo

Most likely nothing until very late tonight or early tomorrow morning.

November 6, 2012 at 2:22 pm |
    • Caramon

Unfortunately Steveo, I am not as optimistic as Dick Morris. I suspect it will be a long night.

November 6, 2012 at 4:57 pm |
      • Steveo

I agree Caramon,

Get the popcorn ready. It will be a along night!

November 6, 2012 at 6:54 pm |
  4. jsmoulder

Are you kidding, he does not know how to do anything else but campaign the last four years are proof.

November 6, 2012 at 1:28 pm |
    • CHRIS IN NY

What has the Republicans been doing the past four yaes. The President was being inaugurated and Republicans were holding a meeting on how to make him a one term President. Republicans started campaigning against this President from day one. They were willing to suffer the citizens of this country once they are able to accomplish their poiltical goal. I guess money can only do but so much.

November 6, 2012 at 3:23 pm |
      • ajb

He had the majority for the first two years, looked how well the recovery went. Stop blaming everything on congress, I'm not saying they did a good job, but admit that President Obama did not achieve what he set out to achieve. Not even close.

p.s. -What type of President needs everything to go his way to do a good job. Good leadership is about bringing people together and fixing things, not to blaming others

November 6, 2012 at 8:32 pm |
  5. OBAMA2012

you ass wipes are pathetic. if only romney had half as much compassion for the middle class as he does his dirty money he might be worth listening too. OBAMA/BIDEN 2012 again!!!!!

November 6, 2012 at 1:31 pm |
    • Lizzie

Why because Romney started a food drive and Pres.Obama stopped the effort to clean up and provide people with the neccecary items after the hurricane. Maybe you like Bloomberg also, who wanted to have the marathon and use generators desperately needed for survival, just so he satisfy his ego.

November 6, 2012 at 1:47 pm |
    • John

Just another lib who can't make a point without calling someone a name. After 4 years of this working Americans are totally sick of this. Is this how you libs get your "revenge"? You call people names from your basement in your PJ's hiding behind a computer screen? You libs crack me up.

November 6, 2012 at 2:18 pm |
      • sesa23

Lol, you put "Lib" and "you libs" in every sentence as if its supposed to be offensive. Your candidate lost :)

November 7, 2012 at 3:58 am |
    • Caramon

Maybe you should read Jack's comment below. He is a supporter of the President as well. Maybe this is the truth behind his compassion.

November 6, 2012 at 5:01 pm |
    • rosco

Dirty money, beats the crap out of bammys stolen money, another stupid a-hole who cant see past his nose, you got an oblunder crush?? creeep

November 6, 2012 at 5:22 pm |
    • Jay in NC

More Liberal hate speech.

November 6, 2012 at 7:57 pm |
  6. eddieb

Obama did a great job in his first four years and is going to do a great job in his next four years......

November 6, 2012 at 1:32 pm |
    • acdcguy

Great job last four years?? Wow, I must be living in a different dimension, because from what I see, he really has destroyed America.......

November 6, 2012 at 1:45 pm |
      • CHRIS IN NY

If George W. Bush did in 8years half of what President Obama has been able to accomplish in 3years we wouldn't be where we are economically.

November 6, 2012 at 3:26 pm |
      • Steveo

CHRIS IN NY,

Bush did about half in 8 years, what Obama did in 3.5 years. Just to be clear, we are talking about the deficit, right?

November 6, 2012 at 6:58 pm |
    • Debbie

Thank. You...I could not have said it better myself....

November 6, 2012 at 2:09 pm |
      • rosco

blame bush, blame bush, your typical dumbocrap, point and blame i hope bammy loses and chokes on it

November 6, 2012 at 5:09 pm |
      • ajb

Well I can. President Bush didn't do a good job, some could say that he had so much on his plate, some could say the democrats blocked his plans his last two years in office but it is widely acknowledged that he could have been a much better President.
        President Obama has had 4 years and the situation is now worse. You and people like you now make the same excuses that you disregarded with Bush. Good leaders don't need you to make excuses for them. President Obama has not shown himself to be a good leader.

November 6, 2012 at 8:40 pm |
    • Caramon

Tell that to the 47 million on food stamps.

November 6, 2012 at 2:10 pm |
    • rosco

You cant be that stupid, then again

November 6, 2012 at 4:50 pm |
  7. acdcguy

His days of President are about over too........thank god!!!

November 6, 2012 at 1:33 pm |
    • Reggie19

I agree with you 100%.......Romney/Ryan in 2012!!!!!! Let us send him home for good!!!!!

November 6, 2012 at 1:37 pm |
      • sesa23

Lol...romney/ryan got sent home.

November 7, 2012 at 4:01 am |
  8. CharlesKayeMBA

If $16T of debt doesn't scare you enough – how about this quote from the Aug '12 CBO Budget and Economic Outlook. Page 35 – 36 – They compare the future of our economy if the mandatory cuts and tax rates that are set to expire (the fiscal cliff) are left as is (the current law), or changed (more deficit spending).

"...rising deficits under that scenario (not going over the fiscal cliff) would lead to larger negative effects on GDP and GNP and to larger increases in interest rates relative to rates under current law (the fiscal cliff). Ultimately, the policies assumed in the alternative fiscal scenario would lead to federal debt that would be unsustainable both from an economic and from a budgetary perspective."

Do you people know what that means? It means our government will go bankrupt if we continue with deficit spending.

November 6, 2012 at 1:34 pm |
    • CHRIS IN NY

Where were you when Bush got us in to two wars on false intelligence and on credit money? War costs money. May be you don't care once you make profit off it.

November 6, 2012 at 3:29 pm |
      • rosco

Bush bush bush, you people make me want to puke, oblunder has been the biggest pair of empty shoes ever. end of story. if u think he has done well than you are just plain stupid

November 6, 2012 at 4:52 pm |

what cost money is the 47% losers like you, leeech

November 6, 2012 at 5:15 pm |
  9. Hcalla

Maybe just maybe if we can send him and his corrupt team packing by a large enough margin, we can also send CNN a msg that we have had enough of their biased and one sided coverage.

November 6, 2012 at 1:35 pm |
  10. Mia

Already you are sore losers, such a shame.

November 6, 2012 at 1:36 pm |
    • Howard

AMERICANS HAVE BEEN THE REAL LOSERS FOR THE PAST 4 YEARS ... AND, THAT'S A SHAME !!!

November 6, 2012 at 2:04 pm |
  11. eddieb

romney trows 47% under the bus and tells more lies then any other person to run for prez. and there are some fools still going to vote for him well I guess there oil God told them to......

November 6, 2012 at 1:37 pm |
    • Reggie19

Obama threw 100% of Americans under the bus. He only shows concern when he wants your votes. Total failure!!!!!!!!!

November 6, 2012 at 1:39 pm |
    • Lizzie

You been fooled for 4 years, so what's a few more. Winston Churchill had the best quote" if you're 20 and not a liberal you have no heart, if you're 40 and not a conservative you have no brain. Guess you're still in your 20ties.

November 6, 2012 at 1:51 pm |
      • Caramon

Nice quote!

November 6, 2012 at 8:14 pm |
    • rosco

go get your oils and oblameo blow up doll, dork

November 6, 2012 at 4:53 pm |
  12. CHRIS IN NY

He should because he needs it. Meanwhile Robme is behaving like the five foolish virgirns which did not prepare for the Bridegroom's sudden return. Unprepared and out of oil they went begging the five wise virgisn for some oil. By then it was too late. Work while there is day light for the night cometh when no man shall work again. Night has befallen Robme.

November 6, 2012 at 1:41 pm |
    • rosco

too bad the storm didnt shut your pie hole loser

November 6, 2012 at 4:58 pm |
  13. riazzo

Obama is lying low alright....lying down on a bath house bench.

November 6, 2012 at 1:47 pm |
    • Howard

OBAMA IS, HAS, AND WILL BE, LYING ... THAT'S FOR SURE !!!

November 6, 2012 at 2:05 pm |
  14. jerry

Ever wonder what would have happened if Carter had won against Regan? Well, here we are again...an incompetant with regard to foreign and domestic issues...and this time we may just elect a guy that brings down America..obama...God help us if we do.

November 6, 2012 at 1:55 pm |
  15. Jake

Although I'm not ecstatic about Obama's last four years I'm still going to vote for him. People seem to forget that the economy could be a hell of a lot worse than it is. I'm not saying it's good at all, but most of you fail to give credit to Obama for pulling the economy out of a horrible tail spin and keeping this country from a second depression. I was willing to listen to what Romney had to say until the 47% sound bite was released. Romney arrogantly disregarded the middle class with that comment, it was not out of context, and know one made him say that. He chose to which is disgusting to me. He then blatantly lies to you and you still back him. If Obama is only out for himself, at least he doesn't go around saying it like an ass.

November 6, 2012 at 2:19 pm |
    • Caramon

Are you then saying the President does not openly express how he truly feels about the American people and this is the reason you are voting for him? Sounds a little anti-transparent. I heard the sound bite. Romney said he doesn't care about 47 percent of the vote because these people will vote to re-elect the President. This is true. He didn't say he doesn't care about 47 percent of the voters.

November 6, 2012 at 2:48 pm |
    • John

The veil of "I'm not really an Obama supporter" doesn't seem real when I read your words. Romney said what he said, but what do you think the real number is? I agree is is not 47%, but you libs think it is zero? Really? Of Obama and Romney, I know the one I think is arrogant. I also know Obama spent over 250 million on adds to make Romney look bad. That is the person you support.

November 6, 2012 at 2:51 pm |
      • Jake

I'm not sure how me not be ecstatic about the last four years leads you to infer I don't support Obama. I'm skeptical that Romney could do a better job. I don't respect the fact that he won't say what programs he will cut. Before you say it, cutting planned parent hood and repealing Obama care isn't going to eliminate the debt if taxes aren't raised on anyone. He knows that if he discloses his cuts he will lose votes and that's pretty spineless. If he laid it out I would consider his plan. And yes Obama spent a lot on negative adds but so did Romney.

November 6, 2012 at 7:07 pm |
      • Caramon

If I recall Jake, 2008 candidate Obama promised to go through the budget line by line and eliminate unnecessary programs. He didn't specify anything. As it turned out, he didn't go through the budget at all. How is this different than your claim about Romney.

November 6, 2012 at 8:13 pm |
      • Jake

Candidates say a lot of things until they actually get into office and find out how policies are really put into place. I'm not saying that Obama has done everything he said he would but he did halt a recession. I concede that the halt may only be temporary. Time will tell. Obama was put into office with a gift rapped turd of an economy and I'm pretty satisfied with the way he has acted. Bottom line is, I know what I'm getting with Obama. Romney wants to go back to things that didn't work. Maybe he would tweak old policies, but it makes me skeptical. The national debt has gone up linearly for the past 20 years, I'm not exactly sure how Romney plans to do what no other president has been able to. In hind sight of the election, I find it ironic that Romney's own state where he was such a "fantastic" governor, didn't back him yesterday.

November 7, 2012 at 2:16 pm |
    • rosco

another sissy, who wants a loser celeb for prez,

November 6, 2012 at 4:54 pm |
      • Jake

Profound man. You make all republicans look like dicks, congratulations.

November 6, 2012 at 6:56 pm |
  16. mbayiira shafic Uganda

Trust me!! Obama is a God given, i mean the chosen one. Lets appreciate him for his courage to help Africa and doing the best for Usa. Lets pay back
    And put him back accomplish what he began. Neither rommey nor me can finish whatObama started!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

November 6, 2012 at 3:43 pm |
    • Steveo

When you say "chossen one", do you mean like the dude in the movie Kung Pow, Enter The Fist?? Loved that movie, btw

November 6, 2012 at 3:51 pm |
    • rosco

r u really that stupid???

November 6, 2012 at 4:57 pm |
      • rosco

oblameo is living proof even god can be make an error

November 6, 2012 at 5:13 pm |
  17. Sarah

Oh my god, really, you are blaming Obama for making Romney look bad? He did that on his own. I can't tell you how much crap mail I have received EVERY SINGLE DAY for the last several months, ALL from the Republican party spouting lies about Obama. I am registered as an independent and have only received a total of 3 flyers in all this time from the Democratic party. If I was undecided before, the ugly picture of how the Republicans think politics should be run is enough to make me vote against them. What happened civility? I hate the direction that our country has gone and think Obama has been the first person to actually try and turn that around. Unfortunately, he has been constantly faced with Republicans acting like children and stopping anything from moving forward. I'm just plain disgusted with the whole election process.

November 6, 2012 at 3:44 pm |
    • Caramon

Sarah, apparently you do not listen to either the radio or the TV. You should remember some of the ads like Mitt Romney killed my wife, Mitt Romney never paid taxes and Mitt Romney never created jobs in America. How about the ad where a Ryan look alike pushed granny off the cliff. Is this acceptable? Simple truths are that we have a 16T debt, the debt is increasing more than 1T each year, the Senate has never passed a budget. Are these true or not?

November 6, 2012 at 4:40 pm |
    • rosco

wha, wha, wha, i hope your loser pres gets blown out and then chokes on it

November 6, 2012 at 4:56 pm |
  18. Dan B

I am not going to say anything negative about Obama. Republican precinct turnout is up, Democrat down, and I can't wait for tonight.

November 6, 2012 at 4:32 pm |
  19. V in Chicago

President Obama – Thank you! Thank you for working to make this Country what is should be. I know the last four years have been tough and you've received very little credit for all the great things you did, but I want to personally thank you for being what a real President should be.

Whatever the outcome of tonight is, Thank you Mr. President!
    Here's to four more years of going forward under your leadership!!

November 6, 2012 at 4:33 pm |
    • rosco

What it should be ??? like losers like you sucking it dry, go get a job you wimp

November 6, 2012 at 4:57 pm |
  20. Drew

Obama to lie low awaiting results. Romney to lie everywhere in last ditch desperate bid for votes.

November 6, 2012 at 4:37 pm |
  21. Not A Party Member

Im all for looking at both ends of the spectrum.... So here is the transcripts from the 60 minutes piece from Sunday (Republicans throwing their party under the bus that they spent the last 4 years purposely going against Obama instead of working with him to better the American People and Economy) so before you want to speak that Obama did nothing maybe you should figure out what your own party was doing! And the same can be said about the Democrats who didnt want to work with the Republicans! Now the facts before placing the blame! http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-18560_162-57544861/is-the-u.s-senate-broken/?tag=contentMain;cbsCarousel and here is the video for those who would rather watch http://www.cbsnews.com/video/watch/?id=50134480n&tag=contentBody;storyMediaBox

November 6, 2012 at 4:47 pm |
  22. HunterPSU

I thought by the Headline CNN was finally calling b.o. out on his Libya fib he told during the 2nd debate. Washington post article on fact checker called him out on it based on CBS interview after rose garden speech. Not sure why CBS held this back until now....but I guess liberal bias is hard to overcome.

November 6, 2012 at 5:03 pm |
    • rosco

cnn has a crush on the inept one thats why

November 6, 2012 at 5:13 pm |
  23. Feed-up

President Obama – Thank you!
    My family voted for OBAMA....
    Stop the irresponsible comments and go VOTE!

November 6, 2012 at 5:28 pm |
  24. jerry

the question is: does the hate campaign win, can a president look the world in the eye and lie and still get another four years. Can a sitting president who's presided over the decline of american economy and foreign policy still win election? Well, never forget clinton got another four years...and then the seeds of our economic decline were sewn and the USS Cole and then 911...all because of clinton's farce. We will see if the American voter is still stupid. Character counts...and obama and clinton have very very poor character.

November 6, 2012 at 6:58 pm |
  25. 2020

Jay in NC – YOU ARE DISGRACE OF THIS GREAT COUNTRY.

GO STAND IN THE CORNER FOR 2 HOURS, YOU MOTHER WOULD HAVE TOLD YOU

November 6, 2012 at 9:00 pm |
  26. President

DOW Falls -300 points 1 day after the re-election of Barack Obama. This election was 2 things:

1) THE WORST DECISION AMERICA HAS MADE
    2) THE BEST DECISION AMERICA HAS MADE.
    Time will tell. To all the voters for Obama Thank You! You made a great and important step, but what about the footprint?

November 7, 2012 at 11:59 am |