American leadership focus of Obama-Romney lunch
November 29th, 2012

American leadership focus of Obama-Romney lunch

Washington (CNN) – Mitt Romney's lunch at the White House Thursday was not how the former GOP nominee would have imagined it a month ago, but it did provide a postscript to this year's punishing presidential battle.

The former candidate, whose motorcade during the campaign could shut down streets and stretch entire city blocks, arrived at a side entrance of the executive mansion in a single black Lincoln SUV. He sat in the front passenger seat.

Full story

Topics: 2012 Election

1. Cali

I'm sorry, but WHY on earth is THAT couch in the Oval Office???... Obama, you've got options! Good grief...

November 29, 2012 at 4:01 pm |
  2. Bob

Myth Rmoney did nothing but LIE about the President.

He should have been kept waiting on the front porch while they checked his tax returns.

November 29, 2012 at 4:41 pm |
    • Caramon

Assuming you admire President Obama for his honesty, integrity and general concern for every American, maybe you should aim to follow his example.

November 29, 2012 at 5:09 pm |
      • Caramon

Thanks Jean. I know you don't agree with Mitt Romney on policy. But at least your statement extended him considerable courtesy. I agree, I though it was good for both men to get together and I respect their decision to do so.

November 30, 2012 at 11:03 am |
    • Howard

RELEASE the fast and furious files ... release the Benghazi files ... release Obama's college and passport files ... remember Obama's promise of transparency ??? ... you obama stooges like to kick your opponent when he's down ... even after you've won the election ... you're scum.

November 29, 2012 at 8:57 pm |
  3. Dan B

I'm not having petty campaign fights about the election like I would have a few months ago... I don't really like Obama and you all hate Romney. I don't see the purpose in meeting with Romney

November 29, 2012 at 5:17 pm |
    • jean2009

Dan, however it is nice to know both men are gentlemen and more adult than the rest of the country. I don't hate Mitt Romney. I just don't agree with him on many policies..and even someone who can be wrong about so many things can still have a some good ideas. At 77, I know life is not all black or all white...most of it falls somewhere in the middle.

November 30, 2012 at 10:02 am |
      • Caramon

Hi Jean. Please see my post up above. I must have hit the wrong reply button.....again.

November 30, 2012 at 11:04 am |
  4. CMiller

I wasn't a big fan of Mitt Romney but you still have to have some respect for the guy, it's not easy to lose an election. I like to see that they are kinda getting together a little bit to collaborate (even though it will not really matter) it's still nice to see. I think a lot of the problems we're seeing are just complete lack of respect for one another (mainly between the two parties). No body listens to the other side – nothing gets accomplished. And how many people bad mouth the President along with Senators along with Representatives is just astonishing to me.

November 29, 2012 at 7:57 pm |
  5. JLH

The presidential election was quite great. I'm glad this nation is ran greatly. You can visit http://www.whitehouse.cm for trip tickets, and site seeing through D.C.

November 29, 2012 at 10:17 pm |
  6. judy

trying to help the climate in Washington. Nice gesture by the President. Now lets get down to business. Repos are going out of their way to make it sound like the democrats are not cooperating on the cliff/ We can see through their posturing.

November 29, 2012 at 10:26 pm |
    • Dan B

Yeah, because everything is the Republican's fault. It can't be that the Democrats aren't cooperating, it must be those mean old Republicans framing them. Give me a break. Harry Reid yesterday that cuts should not be made... And he is one of your Congressional leaders. No Republican made up that he said that

November 29, 2012 at 10:47 pm |
    • Larry in Houston

Judy – I have a hunch that Boehner isn't going to budge – His party will end up paying for it, when the mid-terms comes around – in 2014 – don't think much will get done, til then. Sorry to say it, but they are mothing but a pathetic party, to be perfectly honest, I hope they get Nancy P. back in, with the gavel . At least she got things done, and worked with the President.

November 30, 2012 at 6:35 am |
  7. Dudley

All this talk about a DEAL? What deal? When Bush Tax Cuts ere implemented, Democrats said CUTS ONLY 4 THE RICH, so let them expire or they were lying

November 30, 2012 at 2:10 am |
  8. charlie

obama just realized that what Romney said during is true. He has no idea how business work. So he invites Romney to ask for advice; liberals with no sense of humor will get mad.

November 30, 2012 at 2:48 am |
  9. Kool-Aid Police

Just give Obama a blank check, this is the only way people will see the truth, eliminate the debt ceiling too and press the fed to open wide and print as much money as humanly possible.

November 30, 2012 at 7:03 am |
  10. John

"If taxes need to go up for all Americans, so be it" – Obama. Good luck to us all.
    Can any of you dems out there tell us why you are so giddy about raising taxes on anyone? Can you let us know how the money will be spent? How about telling us why we need more taxes when the stimulas money isn't all spent yet?

November 30, 2012 at 7:31 am |
    • jean2009

John no one said we are giddy about it....it is just something that absolutely needs to be done, and to be totally honest the tax rates should never have been lowered to that level for starters. Low tax rates do not have a stellar record of helping boost the economy, just the opposite has been the fact.

......and we really do need to rebuild OUR (not decimate someone else's) infrastructure.

November 30, 2012 at 10:13 am |
    • America is full of idiots ( those who voted for Mitt Romney not a idiot they smart)

Mitt Romney should of won he had the perfect record to be president of the united states of america. America needed a real leader not a liar as president. Mitt Romney would of made a great president. But america screwed it self over. So good bye i am moving to Canada where it's not filled with a lot of idiots.

November 30, 2012 at 2:57 pm |
  11. Heywood Jeblowmey

The Menu

Amuse-bouche
    "Trio of Humility, Honesty and Hope on White Toast"

Appetizer
    "Beggar's Purse on Micro Greens and a Bitter Vinaigrette"

Soup
    "Ethnic Gumbo"

Entrée
    "Grilled White Snapper, Black-eyed Peas, with Kenyan Rice"

Dessert
    "Sour Red Apple Tart, White Meringue Hill"

Beverage
    "King Cobra 40 ounce, Non-Vintage"

Aperitif
    "Hennessey, Grand Marnier; White Owl Blunts"

November 30, 2012 at 10:46 am |
  12. judy

the repos act like the election is still going on. Can't understand why they lost. They really don't seem to care if we go over the cliff and are doing their best to make it sound like it is the democrats fault. They have complained about rice and she has not been nominated yet. They are complaining about the presidents trip to PA and he hasn't gone yet. Time to stop the circus and get serious. John if you can't understand raising taxes after all the conversations about them. No one can help you now. Kool aid you are such an idiot that no amount of explaining will help you. Boehner is so afraid of loosing his job he will fight to the end. We need to get rid of him and the tea party at mid term . Amazing how many nut jobs still in congress.

November 30, 2012 at 11:29 am |
    • Howard

Judy ... in case you've forgotten ... this is America, so the citizens and thei political party which gets defeated, doesn't have to stop voicing their opinions, and objections ... what you want only exists in a totalitarian society. Judy ... you're the kind of person who, after defeating your opponent, kicks them while their down, and spits on them ... so, I guess no one can make YOU look as disgusting as you do.

November 30, 2012 at 2:34 pm |
  13. Professor of american politics

Americans picked Obama because he said what people wanted to hear. Mitt Romney had fixed many company's he would of been a great president.Some polls that you look at shows my people trusted Mitt Romney in the economy. America made a big mistake.

November 30, 2012 at 3:02 pm |
    • Professor of american politics

I ment " more " instead of " my "

November 30, 2012 at 3:03 pm |
  14. Omg your so correct ( person above)

:O

November 30, 2012 at 3:04 pm |
  15. Dan B

I'm confident about Repubs holding the House to the end. All of the easily winnable seats for Democrats were won already, and minorities and young people don't turn out like they do in a pres election. Meanwhile, white voters are much more likely to turn out.

November 30, 2012 at 4:29 pm |
    • jean2009

Don't be so sure. I think the young may be a lot more upset than you think....look at the members of OWS...mostly young...look at the people rioting in Egypt....mostly young....

FYI.... I am white, and I have not missed a single election (including special elections) since I have been old enough to vote....I'm 77. I consider it a duty and a privilege as a citizen to vote.

December 1, 2012 at 1:04 am |
    • Caramon

Jean, I am not certain the riots in Egypt and OWS are really typical of the anger a majority of young people express. You forgot about Greece. I would like to think better of American youth. One kid interviewed wanted someone to pay for his college education. Others burned Oakland. This is not typical anger for our youngest and brightest. But, Winston Churchill stated that young are idealistic and liberal while older people are Conservative. I don't remember the exact quote. Feel free to look it up.

As for the kid wanting free college, I paid for my own college. In the summer I worked full time up to 80 hours a week. I also had a partial athletic scholarship. No one paid this for me. I did it with my own hard work.

December 1, 2012 at 1:43 pm |
    • Caramon

We should also not forget my father first fought in WWII before going to high school. His high school diploma achieved in 1 year while he worked a full time job.

December 1, 2012 at 1:46 pm |
  16. Dan B

Okay, but you're proving my point Jean. Older white people are more likely to vote, and while you're a Democrat, most older white people are Repubs.

December 1, 2012 at 11:05 am |
    • jean2009

What you actually mean is that mostly older mostly well-off and mostly rural white people are Republicans...and the last I checked that is a diminishing demographic. We are quickly becoming due to the diminishing numbers of both a rural and well-off white senior populations more democratic. That is the reason as more areas become more heavily populated and geographically diverse, with younger and more suburban populations those areas turn blue on the electoral map.

I also know my boomer age sons as they reach retirement age will no more switch from their Democratic roots to vote Republican than I have. As one so aptly put it: "Even if your education has made you better off than your parents, you need to remember that for most it was their hard working parents earning what was a middle-class wage that paid for that education, and remember that a lot of people, in the same boat, are still doing that."

I can remember when Iowa that up until the 1980 election was always a red state is now a blue state.

December 1, 2012 at 1:13 pm |
    • Caramon

mostly older mostly well-off and mostly rural white people are Republicans. That would also indicate many seniors who saved over the years instead of buying that expensive wide screen TV. There is a small faction who want to begin taxing what people own, not just income. How would people who have saved, reached the level of millionaire through property and home ownership be able to pay these taxes. My parents belong to this group. They may have achieved classification of millionaire but could not pay the taxes some are calling for. Instead, they would need to sell half of what they own. What about farmers who own and farm 80 acres of land. How would they pay these taxes.

December 1, 2012 at 2:12 pm |
    • kathy/Minnesota

Older white people are stuck in old out dated beliefs,younger white people are not close minded. And they don't seem to hate others as much.

December 6, 2012 at 7:17 pm |
  17. John the Historian

What can Willard teach the American people. Maybe how he likes to fire people, doesn't worry about the poor, 47 percent of American only get free stuff, outsourcing with Bain, flip flops on abortion and Gay rights, assaulting Gay man and cutting his hair or maybe mormon cult theology like Jesus Christ appearing to the American-Indians or the return of the polygamist Jesus Christ to Nauvoo, Illinois so he and rapist Jospeh Smith and his 87 wives can judge the living and the dead with their magic underwear. So ironic the Christian Right voted for a non-christian mormon. I wonder if the Catholics and Baptists will go back to calling them a cult.

December 1, 2012 at 3:30 pm |
  18. Dan B

Exactly. To someone in NYC with a dual income of 260k, just over what the Democrats are proposing, it is a little different than Bill Gates paying that rate. Plus, northeastern state tax rates except for NH are the highest in the country. To put an extra burden discourages growth. We have on of the highest corporate tax rates in the world. Why would I start a big business with a lot of jobs here when I can do it in Germany with lower tax rates and the same quality labor.

December 1, 2012 at 3:32 pm |
    • John the Historian

But in Germany all employers have to contribute to national health care, something American employers do not have to do. It is time for employers to contribute to health care. Donald Trump last I heard contributes nothing for his workers.

December 1, 2012 at 4:16 pm |
  19. Dan B

With Obamacare they do, so with higher tax rates and same labor in this country company's are leaving.

December 1, 2012 at 7:38 pm |
  20. charlie

it is estimated the government wastes about 20% of money. The fiscal cliff only takes away 10% of spending. why it is a big deal.

December 2, 2012 at 6:02 pm |
  21. kathy/Minnesota

Well at least Obama let him come in and see what he ....."CAN'T HAVE, WON'T HAVE, NEVER,EVER HAVE" :)

December 6, 2012 at 7:14 pm |