Tuesday: Quiet day at the White House
This gingerbread replica of the White House weighs just under 300 pounds and was designed to mimic the White House prior to 1798, before it was painted white.
December 11th, 2012

Tuesday: Quiet day at the White House

President Obama has no public events on his schedule today so he'll spend the day away from cameras, meeting with advisers and the Vice President. We do know that he'll be hosting a couple of White House holiday parties today but other than that, we can assume he'll have more meetings behind closed doors, presumably on the various issues on his plate. We will hear from White House Press Secretary Jay Carney at 1pm and will see if he gives any more information about where the talks on fiscal cliff and White House personnel issues stand.

EST

9:00AM In-Town Pool Call Time

9:45AM THE PRESIDENT and THE VICE PRESIDENT receive the Presidential Daily Briefing

Oval Office (Closed Press)

12:30PM THE PRESIDENT and THE VICE PRESIDENT meet for lunch

Private Dining Room (Closed Press)

Briefing Schedule

1:00PM Press Briefing by Press Secretary Jay Carney

###

1. Kool-Aid Police

Quiet day, well I'm sure the unemployed are happy it's quiet for Obama.

December 11, 2012 at 9:56 am |
  2. acdcguy

Him not doing anything is just getting old. I'll reserve my comments until he actually does something. This could take ahwile.............

December 11, 2012 at 10:04 am |
    • Cynthia L.

President Obama recognized the Syrian Opposition today.

December 11, 2012 at 8:00 pm |
      • zack

wats up people at cnn i live looking at this at home.......

December 13, 2012 at 12:44 pm |
  3. judy

well I see the ol farts are here today.Hi guys. nothing else to do but bash the president? How about community service? Something constructive to fill your days.. You complain if he is out of the white house you complain if he is not. Maybe you should see if you can get the repo 's to do something . Like keep us from going over the cliff. They seem more worried about getting their Christmas break.

December 11, 2012 at 10:44 am |
    • acdcguy

Actually my wife and I are just now finishing up Christmas shopping my "adopt-a-family" I do each year here at work. Going on 10yrs. This year I got a family of 8, ranging from newborn twins up to 40yrs old. On top of all the toys we buy for the kids and clothes for the adults, we also get household items such pots and pans, blankets, towels, cleaning supplies and food. Threw in couple watches and ipods(with pre-paid cards) as well. With help of a coworker, I will be delivering a truck load to their house on Monday. I get great enjoyment seeing their reactions when we fill theiir house with gifts that they could never afford. As for Habitat for Humanity, well sure you can figure it out.........

December 11, 2012 at 11:05 am |
    • John

Judy, are you expecting someone to bash Obama? Reading the posts here I am not sure what you are talking about.

Good job Acdc Guy.... Helping others is a great thing.

December 11, 2012 at 11:16 am |
    • Caramon

This ol fart has worked as a volunteer at our zoo since 1989 in education and observation. Actually got to see the birth of a 213 bouncing baby elephant in 1995. It was the first in Ohio in 10,000 years. I have spent many overnights watching all kinds of near birth mommies and taught a lot of children about wildlife. Like acdc, always a pleasure to see the smiles on the kids.

December 11, 2012 at 12:11 pm |
      • jean2009

I have spent a large portion of my life volunteering for non-profits. I still do several hundred hours of volunteer work each year. Mostly seeing young people get scholarships, and further education.

December 11, 2012 at 3:12 pm |
      • Caramon

Pretty rewarding isn't it Jean.

December 11, 2012 at 3:15 pm |
      • jean2009

Always rewarding and a good trait to instill in your children. I didn't know you are an Ohio native.The Columbus Zoo is a great place; as is The Wilds.

December 12, 2012 at 11:08 am |
      • Caramon

Hi Jean, Yep born and raised native cincinnatian. I was traveling once and a stranger asked if I was from Cincy. Apparently it is true about the Cincinnati twang. Other than that I have only hinted once about Ohio. It was a while ago and had to do with voting for Celeste.

I have heard Columbus has a great zoo but haven't seen it yet. I will someday.

December 12, 2012 at 12:34 pm |
      • jean2009

Yes, I can spot that Ohio River twang anywhere, and I'm from Ohio...but more suburban central. Columbus Zoo is great see it when you get a chance, but the real gem is The Wilds near Cumberland, between Zanesville and Cambridge. Ten thousand acres, and they bus you right out into the fields where the animals are. Go look at the website for The Wilds.

December 12, 2012 at 3:31 pm |
    • Howard

Well, I see that the incredibly abrasive, insulting, condescending, Judy is spewing her nasty comments here again.

December 11, 2012 at 1:24 pm |
      • Cynthia L.

You Howard, are a piece of work.

December 11, 2012 at 2:00 pm |
      • jean2009

Howard does the same ...example above.

December 11, 2012 at 3:08 pm |
      • NAM VET

YOU ARE RIGHT! SHE HAS NO KIDS,NO HUBBY,NO JOB,BUT GETS A CHECK FOR WRITING NUTTY BS FOR OB AND THE BOYS WHO ARE SPENDING MY TAX MONEY AND YOURS FOR THIS PROPOGANDA BS.

December 13, 2012 at 5:50 pm |
    • NAM VET

JUDY,JUDY,JUDY–YOU ARE A CLASSIC TWIT–OB IS ROASTING THE DOG LIKE A GOOD MOOSLAM AND IS ENJOYING HIS MEAL. JUST CHECK OUT THE PIC ON THIS ARTICLE. HE LIKES HIS DOG WELL DONE. DOUBLE
      CHEESE ON HIS DOG BURGAR. CURLY FRIES AND HOME BREWED BEER. OH SORRY-NEAR BEER AS THOSE
      PEOPLE CANNOT TOLLERATE ALCHOL AS PER SHIRA LAW FORBIDS IT.

December 12, 2012 at 1:21 pm |
      • jean2009

You instead don't even qualify for a nice term like twit.

December 12, 2012 at 3:33 pm |
      • Cynthia L.

Some people shouldn't drink and post. NAM VET you are saying things that prove it.

December 12, 2012 at 7:45 pm |
    • NAM VET

JUDY ,JUDY,JUDY---BET THE KIDS HAD TO FIX LINCH CAUSE MOM HAD SHERRY AGAIN. WELL WHAT IS A MOM FOR . MOST MOMS WITH ANY DEGREE OF SELF REPECT WOULD GREET THER KIDS AFTER SCHOOL. WHAT IS YOUR
      EXCUSE. YOU HAVE NONE. SPEND SOME TIME WITH YOUR KIDS AND SEND THEM OFF TO BED–FORGET THE HOME WORK MOM–TIME FOR A MOM TREAT AND A NAP. YOU LIBS ARE RUINING YOUR OWN AND THE ASSETS FOR
      THEIR FUTURE FOR A GROWING NATION.

December 13, 2012 at 5:43 pm |
      • Cynthia L.

Yep, He's on a bender.

December 13, 2012 at 6:37 pm |
  4. Linda

If President Obama turned water into wine, they would call him an alcoholic.

December 11, 2012 at 2:13 pm |
    • DEcember 2012

THEY'RE ALREADY CALLING HIM SANTA CLAUS IN A NEGATIVE WAY. IT'S NOT TOO FAR OFF.

December 11, 2012 at 2:42 pm |
  5. Dan B

He is kind of like Santa Claus, except the gifts he gives he didn't make, other people did

December 11, 2012 at 3:21 pm |
    • DEcember 2012

AND WHAT GIFTS ARE THOSE? I THOUGHT SANTA HAD HIS ELVES MAKING THOSE GIFTS FOR HIM?

December 11, 2012 at 3:28 pm |
      • jean2009

Dan only believes in elf slave labor.

December 12, 2012 at 6:49 pm |
  6. Ray E. (Georgia)

Any reasonable person would have expected Obama to have the decisions on the Fiscal Cliff to be done by now. But it appearently that is way above Obama's Pay Grade. Once again he is Voting Present. The best we can expect is another Continuing Resolutiion by January. Lyndon Johnson would have the Deal done by now. The people that are hurting need a decision. Businesses wile not hire as long as uncertainly continues.

December 11, 2012 at 4:00 pm |
    • DEcember 2012

DO YOU EVEN KNOW WHAT YOUR GOVERNMENT DOES? SEPARATION OF POWERS, THAT KIND OF THING? YOU MIGHT WANT TO LOOK THOSE UP AGAIN.

December 11, 2012 at 5:43 pm |
      • Ray E. (Georgia)

Appearently a lot of people don't. That is why we are over 16 Trillion dollars in debt. Peope looked the other way. Too bad. Seperation of Powers except for Liberals. Obama can't lead. He is an empty suit.

December 11, 2012 at 8:43 pm |
      • DEcember 2012

RAY, WHERE WERE YOU WHEN WE WERE 10 TRILLION IN DEBT? 8 TRILLION? APPARENTLY IT IS ONLY A CRISIS WHEN A DEMOCRAT IS PRESIDENT. NEVER MIND THAT THE LAST PRESIDENT WHO ACTUALLY MANAGED TO DO SOMETHING ABOUT THE DEFICIT WAS A DEMOCRAT. CAN YOU BE ANY MORE OF A HYPOCRITE?

December 11, 2012 at 10:09 pm |
      • Ray E. (Georgia)

December,
        Where was I when we were 10 Trillion in debt? The same place I am today, Disgusted! The Constutition never gave the Congress the Power to Tax and Disburse money. However that is not what this conversation is about. It is about LEADERSHIP! Obama ran for the job but won't do the job! But, December, the people voted for it. So live with it!

December 12, 2012 at 8:54 am |
      • DEcember 2012

THE CONSTITUTION DOESN'T SAY A LOT OF STUFF. THE FRAMERS INTENDED IT TO BE THAT WAY BECAUSE THEY DO NOT KNOW FAR ENOUGH INTO THE FUTURE! IF YOU WANT AMERICA TO REMAIN STAGNANT AND IRRELEVANT THEN BY ALL MEANS, STICK TO THE LETTER OF THE LAW. DID THEY WANT US TO BE THIS MUCH IN DEBT? WHO CARES? THEY ARE DEAD AND WE ARE HERE HOLDING THE BAG! DID YOU THINK THE FOREFATHERS NEVER OWED ANYBODY MONEY? ARE YOU KIDDING ME? WHO FINANCED THEIR REVOLUTION? ALL WARS HAVE A COST AND WHEN THE COUNTRY WAS BORN IT WAS BROKE LIKE IT IS NOW.

IF YOU HONESTLY THINK THAT THERE WILL BE NO RESOLUTION TO THIS DEBT ISSUE, JUST STAND THERE AND WATCH AS THE COUNTRY LEAVES YOU BEHIND. I AM MORE OPTIMISTIC BECAUSE I BELIEVE THIS PRESIDENT CARES FOR HIS COUNTRY. IF YOU DON'T HAVE THAT BELIEF THEN WHAT ARE YOU? JUST ANOTHER CRANKY OLD MAN WHO CANNOT LET GO OF IDEOLOGY.

December 12, 2012 at 11:45 am |
      • DEcember 2012

December 12, 2012 at 11:46 am |
      • DEcember 2012

THE CONSTITUTION DOESN'T SAY A LOT OF STUFF. THE FRAMERS INTENDED IT TO BE THAT WAY BECAUSE THEY DO NOT KNOW FAR ENOUGH INTO THE FUTURE! DID YOU THINK THE FOREFATHERS NEVER OWED ANYBODY MONEY? ARE YOU KIDDING ME? WHO FINANCED THEIR REVOLUTION? ALL WARS HAVE A COST AND WHEN THE COUNTRY WAS BORN IT WAS BROKE LIKE IT IS NOW, AND YET SOMEHOW WE ARE STILL HERE.

SO THE NEXT TIME YOU STOMP YOUR FEET CLAIMING THE PRESIDENT IS DESTROYING AMERICA, YOU ONLY HAVE TO LOOK BACK AT THIS NATION'S STORIED HISTORY WITH DEBT AND TRY NOT TO ACT SO SURPRISED.

December 12, 2012 at 12:02 pm |
      • DEcember 2012

IS THERE ANYTHING EVEN REMOTELY REALISTIC THAT YOU WANT TO COMPLAIN ABOUT? IF YOU WANT TO KEEP GOING BACK TO THE CONSTITUTION THEN I SUGGEST YOU GO BACK IN TIME AND STAY THERE. THE COUNTRY HAS SINCE MOVED ON, THE FIRST 13 STATES AND ALL.

December 12, 2012 at 12:16 pm |
      • DEcember 2012

IS THERE ANYTHING EVEN REMOTELY REALISTIC THAT YOU WANT TO COMPLAIN ABOUT? IF YOU WANT TO KEEP GOING BACK TO THE CONST. THEN I SUGGEST YOU GO BACK IN TIME AND STAY THERE. THE COUNTRY HAS SINCE MOVED ON, THE FIRST 13 STATES AND ALL.

December 12, 2012 at 12:18 pm |
      • Caramon

IS THERE ANYTHING EVEN REMOTELY REALISTIC THAT YOU WANT TO COMPLAIN ABOUT?

It's too cold today.

December 12, 2012 at 12:59 pm |
      • jean2009

Ray...I think you should read: Article 1, Section 8, Clause 1-"The Congress shall have Power To lay and collect Taxes, Duties, Imposts and Excises, to pay the Debts and provide for the common Defense [note 1] and general Welfare of the United States; but all Duties, Imposts and Excises shall be uniform throughout the United States

It is known as the:

Power to tax

The Congress shall have Power To lay and collect Taxes, Duties, Imposts and Excises.

So, you can bang your head on that States Rights issue all you want....but that was settled long before either of us was born with the Civil War....on a more humorous note.....as per usual half of my ancestors won, and the other half lost.

You are making me ashamed of my Georgia ancestors.

December 12, 2012 at 7:07 pm |
    • Ray E. (Georgia)

And Jean,
      Do you approve handing Obama the Keys to the Kingdom. Do you approve of the National Debt going to 21 Trillion if Obama has his way. Do you approve of another depression making the last one seem like childs play. At this time the House is refusing to extend the debt. The Senate has refused to take up the Budget the last 4 years. Just so you know, Igornace Abounds thru out the land. It is time to kick the children out of the nest. People need a "Father", not a mother. I see nothing to prevent us going into another depression.

December 12, 2012 at 8:54 pm |
      • jean2009

Ray- As i have said before It would be senseless to bring the President's ACTUAL budget proposal to the floor of the Senate, when the House is going to continue to play silly games, and put up fake budgets saying they are the Presidents!

So, stop regurgitating that stupid FOX discourse and go read some real facts. You obviously don't understand that the Constitution has the power to tax, or how the Senate and House operate. Basically, a budget could have been passed except for the obstructionist whining GOP in both houses.

The president has no intent of gutting Medicare and SS, or making it a voucher system as proposed by Ryan, Cantor and Bonehead.... to make them happy. I agree with the President, and so do about 67% of the American people...review – What do people want from the fiscal-cliff deal?

So as I said before sorry about your dumb luck!

December 13, 2012 at 12:02 pm |
  7. judy

love to see everyone rushing around to let us know what good charitable people they are. After listening to them spew all their hate do you really believe them or are they just trying to make points???? Hope all these poor people you are buying Christmas gifts for don't turn out to be democrats. But honestly doesn't everyone buy gifts for the less fortunate during the holidays and contribute to food banks and help in food kitchens , I don't see that your doing anything more than anyone else. So stop tooting your own horn. Oh Howard no one expects anything from you at all you old turd.

December 11, 2012 at 4:25 pm |
    • Caramon

How about community service

Community service is by far different than donating money during the holidays. ACDC, Jean and I do much more than drop money into a the Santa box. We are involved one on one with people. It is what makes a real difference. Please note that it had nothing to do with political beliefs. If you only see hate in all this, then I truly feel sorry for you.

December 11, 2012 at 4:43 pm |
      • acdcguy

Well said. Just because we disagree with Obama!s agenda, in their eyes, we are bad people and racist. I do plenty more for more my community than I let on. To really steam their bean, I volunteer for wounded warriors and I own many guns, hunt wild animals and open carry a pistol. Wait, gets better, my 9yr old is in a precision shooting club, he's been shooting since he was five..........

December 11, 2012 at 5:17 pm |
      • Caramon

ACDC I will probably never carry a gun. But, I still support the right. It is only because I see myself shooting off my own foot. Bank any deer? I am particularly fond of deer meat. I had a friend that used to give me deer sausage. It was really good.

December 11, 2012 at 5:43 pm |
      • Cynthia L.

Why would it 'steam' anybody that you work for Wounded Warriors? Trace Atkins song has a line that says, "Say A Prayer For Peace". I'm all for that.
        I have helped dress deer and elk and cooked at hunting camp. Don't bet your booties, acdc that we don't have guns because we happen to be on the opposite side of your political views.
        As far as your open carry? After being married to a Town Marshal, I have come to view those who display are looking for attention they don't receive otherwise and usually don't deserve anyway.
        P.S. Having Vension Teriakyi Sticks in the freezer is heaven.

December 11, 2012 at 6:07 pm |
      • jean2009

Caramon: I agree...hands on volunteering is always needed, always rewarding,and.there are somethings money can't buy for a non-profit. For those who don't have money to donate, everyone can find a few hours a week to give back. Even if it is updating records and files, organizing publicity, or working on a fund raiser.

December 12, 2012 at 11:39 am |
      • jean2009

I have no issue with a person having a gun to hunt, I would not own a gun myself, but I have sons who own guns, hunt and fish, and would be considered even better than just pretty good shots with a crossbow. However, I cannot see the need for guns with large capacity clips (which are not even legal for hunting game) being available for anyone but law enforcement or military. It is sad that some cuckoo can wall into a mall and mow down people....pure idiocy that we don't have better laws...or are not enforcing the ones we have.

December 12, 2012 at 7:33 pm |
    • Cynthia L.

Whoa, Judy. Take a bite of a sugar cookie.

December 11, 2012 at 5:14 pm |
    • NAM VET

YOU ARE REALLY SOMETHING–WHAT I AM NOT SURE-YOU GIVE THE TO THE NEEDY,HUNGRY,AND NEEDY DEMS.
      AT CHRISTMAST TIME. I AM A VET AND A REPUBLICAN AN GIVE TO AS MANY GOOD AND DESERVING AS MY PAY
      CHECK CAN AFFORD. I EVEN PAY MY BILLS ON TIME AND DO NOT ASK FOR ASSISTANCE AS YOU OBVIOUSLY DO-
      I REALIZE WE ALL HAVE BEEN THERE DURING OUR LIFETIMES AND DID THE RIGHT THING AND DID IT THE RIGHT WAY. BUDGET AND RECOVER OUR OWN DIGNITY.
      THAT BEING AS LONG IT TAKES TO GET EVEN AND NOT WANTEING ANY HELP FROM BIG BRO. OR ANYONE ELSE.
      LIFE IS TOUGH AT TIMES BUT IF YOU HAVE FORTITUDE YOU CAN DO ANYTHING.

December 12, 2012 at 1:36 pm |
  8. acdcguy

Cynthia L.... Tell that to the the family of the victims who just lost their lives at the Oregan mall shooting....... Yep I'm looking for attention!!!!!!!

December 11, 2012 at 8:09 pm |
    • Cynthia L.

And how would anyone would know a stranger, YOU, aren't a threat and part of those who are shooting?? They wouldn't know, would they? Please don't give an excuse that you are ready to ride to the rescue – you just lilke showing off.

December 12, 2012 at 1:10 pm |
  9. Dan B

I'm not against giving gifts to the poor for the holidays, but I don't give other people's gifts (tax money), I give my own

December 11, 2012 at 8:30 pm |
    • Dan B

Btw, if anyone is looking for a new charity, Smile Train is great!!!

December 11, 2012 at 8:32 pm |
      • jean2009

Dan any charity that actually provides needed help is great.

December 12, 2012 at 11:23 am |
      • Dan B

Thank you jean for that. As if I didn't know all charities are great.

December 12, 2012 at 1:40 pm |
      • jean2009

Well no, Dan not all charities, or so called charities are great...you need to sort out just what they are doing with your donated money, and how much of that money is actually going to do good, and how much is going to line someone's pocket.

Well Dan power in the House isn't going to help much with the Senate and the President having them outnumbered.

December 12, 2012 at 7:59 pm |
  10. Free Man in the Republic of Texas

Quiet day at the White House...

america is broke.

But the hum of the printing press sounds Soooo... GOOD

Let them eat cake !!!

December 11, 2012 at 9:01 pm |
  11. James

Must be time for another Mini Vacation.

December 11, 2012 at 9:15 pm |
  12. jean2009

The strange thing is we go through this Fiscal Cliff every year when Congress and the White House negotiate how much is needed for the Omnibus Spending Bill to span the gap between this budget year, and the next. This is complicated by that 4-year plan shortfall presented with the 2009 budget.
    GOP = Drama Queens when they are out of power!

December 12, 2012 at 11:22 am |
    • NAM VET

WHEN YOU ARE IN THE KITCHEN –STAY OFF THE COOKING SHERRY. NOW GO TAKE A NAP AND SET THE ALARM
      SO YOU CAN BE SOBER FOR THE KIDS WHEN THEY GET HOME.

December 12, 2012 at 1:40 pm |
      • jean2009

My kids are grandparents.

December 12, 2012 at 3:36 pm |
    • Cynthia L.

Just saw the movie LINCOLN last night. Wonderful movie. Gives you an idea how hard it is to herd the two party's forward together to achieve the greater good.

December 12, 2012 at 1:46 pm |
      • jean2009

It has been a great year for movies. Finally, they are providing features that are not juvenile. Lincoln was great...but I also enjoyed the Bond movie. Next up to see Les Miserables.

December 12, 2012 at 3:44 pm |
      • Cynthia L.

A wonderful book, made into a movie, 'Life of Pi" has me wondering how you would herd a TIGER. On a small boat – in a vast sea. Must be hard to be President.

December 12, 2012 at 7:04 pm |
      • jean2009

Great analogy! Like herding cats!

December 12, 2012 at 7:37 pm |
      • Dan B

So long as the cats are Democrats

December 12, 2012 at 8:41 pm |
      • jean2009

You seem to have forgotten that currently it is not the democrats that need herding.

December 13, 2012 at 11:35 am |
  13. Dan B

Democrats= drama queens when they are in and out of power. And don't forget, the Repubs still have power in the House.

December 12, 2012 at 1:41 pm |
    • jean2009

The GOP has power in the House...
      That and $3.65 will get you a latte.

December 13, 2012 at 12:07 pm |
  14. Dan B

Well jean, it'ms enough to stop people like you from ruining the country with dependence and high taxes. If you like high taxes so much, volunteer to pay higher taxes. The government isn't going to say no

December 13, 2012 at 4:33 pm |
    • DEcember 2012

IT IS BECAUSE OF THESE CRAZY IDEAS THAT YOU REPUBITARDS WILL FAIL AND FAIL AGAIN. KEEP IT UP BECAUSE IT IS A GIFT TO DEMOCRATS.

December 13, 2012 at 4:43 pm |
  15. Dan B

December, if you want higher taxes for some, I want you and all of your Liberal friends right now to volunteer to pay higher taxes. Lead by example. Oh wait, I forgot, so long as yo don't have to take a tax increase, a tax increase is okay.

December 13, 2012 at 6:46 pm |
  16. Arnulfo Bevevino

You are so cool! I don't think I've truly read something like that before. So good to discover another person with a few unique thoughts on this subject matter. Really.. many thanks for starting this up. This site is one thing that's needed on the web, someone with a bit of originality!

December 18, 2012 at 1:45 am |