Thursday at the White House: Quiet day
January 17th, 2013

Thursday at the White House: Quiet day

One day after signing three executive orders and enacting 20 other actions aimed to reduce gun violence, President Obama has no public events on his schedule Thursday. The president and Vice President Biden will receive the daily briefing in the morning, and then it's scheduled to be a quiet day. Press Secretary Jay Carney will brief the media at 11:45 AM.

Here's the schedule as released by the White House:

10:00AM THE PRESIDENT and THE VICE PRESIDENT receive the Presidential Daily Briefing

Oval Office

Closed Press

1. acdcguy

"Quite day"?.....nah, he's just sitting around trying to think of some other things he can do to further ruin our country.......and I can't wait for the headline to read "His last day at the White House"

January 17, 2013 at 8:57 am |
    • Terry W.

Really?!... further ruin OUR country?...by working for a strong "middle class" America?, building a Solid financial banking system , and let's not forget getting America BACK to work... Respect the office and stop "downing" the one person that has help build up America at the worst time and against the odds of the GOP...he IS YOUR PRESIDENT... Put on the the jersey and jion Team America!... he will be there for 4 more years!... Help him not work against him.

January 17, 2013 at 11:26 am |
      • John

As a middle class working American I resent your remarks. You do not speak for me. I respect the office of the president, but I do not agree with Obama's poor policies. Last time I checked I had a right to disagree. According to you I am supposed to support something I am totally against? Wouldn't that be like you supporting a crook that enters your house?
        We have never had a president this divisive.

January 18, 2013 at 11:25 am |
      • December 2012

I find it hilarious that one person can suddenly cause divisiveness. Last I check, it is a two party system. If both parties decide to be unreasonable with each other then it is just the President's fault? Try to put less bias in your arguments please.

January 18, 2013 at 4:05 pm |
      • Cynthia L.

I would recommend highly, for anyone thinking that this is the most divisive Administration OR Congress, to watch the History Channels four-part series titled, "The Ultimate Guide to the Presidents" OR see the movie "Lincoln".
        For anyone to believe this is a divisive presidentcy proves they haven't a clue.

January 19, 2013 at 10:51 am |
    • NAN VET

I AGREE!!

January 20, 2013 at 12:54 pm |
  2. Bryan

From what I have read & researched the majority of the gun shootings are in inner cities. Why arent our leaders going directly to the problem?? The areas with the most gun violence (statistics state) are low income minority communities
    that are in cities. Chicago is a prime example. Wouldnt we be better off concentrating on these areas ??? The School shooting (like all shootings) was tragic. The political reality is that 20-30 black kids were killed and are killed pretty much any given weekend in Chicago, Detroit, L.A. etc. Instead of grandstanding and campaining shouldnt our leader address the problem of PARENTS NOT BEING HELD RESPONSABLE FOR THIER CHILDRENS ACTION ???

January 17, 2013 at 9:20 am |
    • December 2012

Chicago does not exist in a bubble. Lax gun laws from other states are contributing to the problem of illegal guns flowing into the city. We need tougher federal laws to close the loopholes.

January 18, 2013 at 3:43 pm |
  3. Moose

Curious on why the topic of violent video games werent addressed ??? Curious on why Rap music with lyrics about AKs, killing everyone in the hood wasnt addressed ??? Curious on why violent movies that are made constantly wasnt addressed ??? These are the bammans friends thats why. Clooney, Jay-z, nitendo More hypocrited rhetoric from the white house.

January 17, 2013 at 9:41 am |
    • jean2009

You do realize the Japanese, the Germans, the Canadians, the English and the citizens of many other countries...play the vary same video games? Ask yourself .....Why are they unaffected by playing the same video games, and why are they not committing mass murders with automatic and semi-automatic weapons? Oh now you get it!

January 17, 2013 at 11:44 am |
      • dnaanalysis

Germany 2009...
        Tim K. climbs the stairs to the second floor. He storms into a classroom where he shoots five students in the head at close range.

Japan 2001...
        37-year-old former janitor Mamoru Takuma entered the school armed with a kitchen knife and began stabbing numerous school children and teachers. He killed eight children, mostly between the ages of seven and eight, and seriously wounded thirteen other children and two teachers

England 2010...
        The Cumbria shootings was a killing spree that occurred on 2 June 2010 when a lone gunman, Derrick Bird, killed 12 people and injured 11 others before killing himself in Cumbria, England

January 18, 2013 at 11:22 am |
      • NAN VET

YOU LEFT OUT AN OBVIOUS SCANDINAVIAN COUNTRY THAT DID KILL THE LARGEST NUMBER OF YOUNG FOLKS
        ON AN ISLAND RETREAT. AS ONE PERSON HELL BENT TO KILL,HE BROKE THE RECORD ----

January 20, 2013 at 1:01 pm |
    • Cynthia L.

And if he did – would you cry foul on the basis of Freedom of Speech?? You screamed about being moderated the other day and your suppression of that right. Just curious.

January 17, 2013 at 1:00 pm |
      • Moose

Got to love it, protect your dud leader at all cost. Its clear to everyone but the bamman sheep how inept this guy is. I was just asking why he didnt condem the other avenues on this subject, cause hes a hypacrite. If he spent a tenth of his time working the people as he did being a celeb just think what he could accomplish. we will never know!!!

January 17, 2013 at 1:16 pm |
      • Cynthia L.

And, if you spent a 10th of your time working – would you still post here? Many groups have taken the so-called Entainment Industry to task over violent content – I would be one.
        The Supreme Court has weighed in and, I think this is something that they have fallen short on.
        I, for one, refused to spend money on unnescessary violent content whenever I can, which is pretty hard to do these days and I think if people stopped spending money for cheap thrills in music, film and literature, that would send a message to those that produce it. And, seeing as you brought this important topic up, as many have done, be sure you are NOTcontributing to the wallets of those who produce it if this matters to you.
        As far as parental controls and influence, this President addressed the Black community on single parent homes without attending fathers. He did this years ago and took plenty of flack for it. I'm all for making parents responsible for their kids and the court system is full of cases that take this issue on everyday.

January 17, 2013 at 1:54 pm |
      • Caramon

Why did he get flack for it? It is a big problem that needs attention.

January 17, 2013 at 2:17 pm |

Cnythia L and caramon,

Bill Cosby addressed the very same issue and darn near got boo'd off of the stage! Something is severely wrong with that!

January 17, 2013 at 2:34 pm |
      • Cynthia L.

A big problem that is bigger than ONE MAN on his own to address. It is heartbreaking. We as a nation need to stand up to irresponsible non-parenting and like I said, the courts are full of these kinds of cases. The President took flack from the Black community because they felt he was singling them out. I happen to agree with them on that, because after being married to a law enforcement officer, in a mostly white community, I saw even so-called pillars of the community fall far short and believe me, they weren't poor OR single parents.
        Reagan, sent his older children off to boarding schools and asked the FBI to look into their daughters friends. It sort of answers their never-ending quest for his approval in later life, if you ask me. Along with the Royals in England, many of the rich families in this country have done the same and the results are not always pretty.

January 17, 2013 at 2:37 pm |
      • steveo

I agree that this is a huge problem. It is a national problem but it is also a community problem. The government cannot solve this. Again, even Bill Cosby addressed the black community and he got nowhere. Obama was addressing HIS community in the hopes that they would listen to one of their own! All hell would have broken loose, if he sent Biden to do it and yes I am referring to skin color!

January 17, 2013 at 3:03 pm |
      • Caramon

"I saw even so-called pillars of the community fall far short." Like Jesse J who fathered a child not with his wife. Yet Jesse is supposed to provide moral leadership among the black community. It is too bad that the President didn't have better luck with this issue. One would think he would have had a good audience. But you are right Cynthia, it is a problem bigger than one man even if he is the President. People may be more willing to listen to all leaders of the black community if it came as one voice.

January 17, 2013 at 3:36 pm |

Caramon,

To address an issue, any issue with one voice would be great! Sadly, it won't happen! Power and money are at stake! Look at these blogs, we can't address anything with one voice! Honestly, local churches should be taking the lead in this! Power and money!

January 17, 2013 at 3:53 pm |
      • Cynthia L.

You're suggesting that churches have all the power and all the money?? Humanity has already been there and I personally don't think it worked out all that great. If you are talking about helping their communities without insisting that they have the power and that we are required to give them our money – I'm down with that.
        As far as the people of New Orleans re-electing their mayor, they must not have minded that he ordered their guns taken away temporarily to be able to restore peace in a time of disaster and loss of life.

January 17, 2013 at 4:07 pm |
      • steveo

No I am not talking about churches. i am talking about "Civil Rights" organizations! Often, they don't even speak with one voice whe it appears the goal is the same! This is what I mean, using Jesse Jackson and Sharpton as examples. How often do you see them rallying together? They have their own power bases. The loudest opposition to Cosby and the president were "black" voices, some of who now claim the president has done nothing for the black community. That is what I am talking about! I still believe local churches who know the people in the community should be taking the lead (with no fanfare) but because they love their community!

Keep in mind Legal owners were harrassed in N.O. all while the streets were still full of guns!

January 17, 2013 at 4:32 pm |
      • Cynthia L.

Even legal gun owners freak out in a disaster, I could tell you some not so funny stories.
        We can't give up on being responsible members of our communities and many communities do a rockin' good job of it and others fall way short and give in to worst scenario that results in taking care of those with the money and so-called perceived power.
        It's an ongoing dialogue and I agree, some act as if we aren't even living on the same planet let alone the same town and in some cases not a part of the same family. Human nature is nothing but contradictions but, I believe in our better angels, otherwise, what's the point? Cheers.

January 17, 2013 at 4:59 pm |
      • jean2009

Too many other countries play the same violent video games without the same resulting gun deaths....shouldn't we ask why it is not happening in those countries.....could it be they have better overall mental health, due to a better health system, and are not affected by the same violent videos, or is that they have stricter gun laws?

January 17, 2013 at 7:44 pm |
  4. John

Why does the government need a database of legal gun owners?

January 17, 2013 at 11:33 am |
    • jean2009

Why does the government need a database of legal automobile owners?

January 17, 2013 at 11:45 am |
    • steveo

Remember what happened after Katrina? Remember how cops took away guns from legal owners? How did the cops know whose doors to knock on? How did the know where to go and get these weapons! Can you say ...Database?

January 17, 2013 at 1:42 pm |
      • Cynthia L.

After Hurricane Katrina I do remember lawlessness, desperation, lack of food and services. The Mayor of New Orleans was overwhelmed, under prepared and with many of their own law enforcement personnel missing made drastic choices to protect their citizens from gun violence. I don't know that they went door-to-door to collect guns and if you, Steveo, would like to produce reports of such, I would be interested in knowing that. Once the state's National Guard has been called in some laws that we enjoy are temporarily suspended due to the conditions on the ground.
        The officers that fired upon unarmed citizens on a bridge who were seeking relief have been prosecuted.

January 17, 2013 at 2:21 pm |

intellectual-thoughts.com/Hurrican%20Katrina%20Gun%20Confiscatio.htm

January 17, 2013 at 2:55 pm |

Cynthia,

You said "Mayor of New Orleans was overwhelmed, under prepared...." That is true Nagin was under prepared but when it was time to dole out the blame, the two with the greatest responsibility (the Mayor (Nagin) and Blanco (governor) ) got off easy! Nagin was even re-elected! But that is history!

January 17, 2013 at 3:13 pm |
      • December 2012

The seizure of about 1000 guns did happen and the matter was settled in court. There have been laws passed since then to ensure confiscation of firearms during a state of emergency does not happen again.

I don't see why maintaining a database now is such a bad thing. If you want to make sure the guns are where they are supposed to be then you need it and have it updated with all the background and mental health checks that people want in there. If you want to know who should not have guns then you should maintain a clean record of people who are supposed to have them.

If you want to keep your assault weapons, don't be so naive to think that nobody should be watching.

January 17, 2013 at 3:40 pm |

Decemeber,

I don't think any of us here know the full extent of this issue! All we are doing is commenting on the little we know. In saying that, who wil have access to the database, what info goes in it? Teh mental health of everyone in the house of the potential buyer? How about finances? How about divorce? All of these are stressors and play with folks mentally! All I am saying is we have more questions than answers. Any database can be compromised! That happens all the time.

As far as Katrina, not questioning the out of court settlement, or legislation to keep that from happening again! I just mentioned the fact the confiscation happened based upon info in a database!

January 17, 2013 at 3:48 pm |
      • DEcember 2012

I was just confirming your claim about what happened after Katrina. At a state and federal level, it has been agreed that such confiscation should not happen unless it is part of a criminal investigation or in response to an immediate threat to law enforcement. What happened after Katrina was a mistake although well intentioned and it is now illegal.

The idea of a database is good, we need to keep track of gun owners just as we keep track of vehicle owners. The idea of a database is to not take away guns from law-abiding citizens, it is to make sure guns do not get in the hands of those who are not. The information contained should only be used by law enforcement, but I understand that matters of privacy seems to be an uphill battle as of late on many fronts. Can it be abused? Sure. But just like the right of owning a gun, anything can be abused but it does not mean we should not have it.

January 17, 2013 at 5:35 pm |
      • Steveo

I hear you December but database or not, bad guys will always have access! No database will ever change that! In saying that I agree something needs to be done!

January 17, 2013 at 9:25 pm |
      • DEcember 2012

Well it should be a combination of things. Law enforcement is the key here and having a good database is just a tool for what should be active enforcement of the gun laws in the books. In NYC, the laws are very strict but they are meaningless without the best law enforcement in the country. A combination of tougher laws that close out loopholes for background checks, a good database to provide up to date information for investigations, and a disciplined, responsive police department.

January 18, 2013 at 1:08 am |
      • John

With statements like "I don't see why maintaining a database is such a wrong thing" and "If you want to make sure the guns are where they are supposed to be" I am back to calling you Throbbing member 2012.

January 18, 2013 at 6:58 am |
      • Cynthia L.

John, if you were in the military, you're in a database, if you have a social security number, you're in a database. If you have insurance health, car, home -you're in a database. If you went to school – you're in a database. Vote? You're in a database.
        Remember your subscription to your fav mag? You're in a database. Got a creditcard, phone, mortgage, car loan, driver's license, NRA Membership? You're in a database.
        There are no secrets unless you keep info absolutely to yourself. And, if you post on the internet, hello,...you're in a database.
        We are way past not being in a database somewhere.

January 18, 2013 at 10:40 am |

Cynthia L,

All great and valid points! I am neither pro or con database but I am pro keeping the info as secure as possible and using the info properly! My point about Katrina was the info was not used properly!

January 18, 2013 at 10:47 am |
      • Cynthia L.

We should all be concern about private info being shared by unauthorized, unlawful means. I am happy that that event was brought to the attention of the courts.

January 18, 2013 at 11:01 am |
      • John

Cynthia, I understand I am listed in many directories, but that isn't the point. Let me try a different tact. How would you feel about a government database that lists every woman who had an abortion? Are you ok with that?
        Please answer my original question – what reason would our govenment have to maintain a data base of LEGALLY CHECKED GUN OWNERS??? Do you actually think the shooters who have stolen or illegal guns would be listed in this data base?

January 18, 2013 at 11:32 am |
      • John

Cynthia, while my comment is "awaiting moderation" let me ask you this question. How do you feel about a national data base that list all women that have had abortions? Is that OK?

January 18, 2013 at 1:14 pm |
      • Cynthia L.

John, you asked someone earlier if they thought it was okay for a news organization to publish the names of Legally Registered gun owners. My personal opinion is that news organization broke the law and I think the courts will agree and the newspaper will find themselves with a huge lawsuit. And, I mean huge. I believe rightly so.
        Steveo brought up the fact that after Katrina, registered gun owners were relieved of their guns after the Mayor's office (I assume) found out who they were on a database. According to Dec. they were found to have been in violation of the law by the courts. I know of no other time the guns of legal owners have been taken by our government unless, maybe the Civil War. I also know, that Federal Gun Restrictions are Constitutional, even under the Supreme Court's latest interpretation of the 2nd Amendment and Federal Law pre-empts State Law under our Constitution. During an extreme emergency, such as an attack, a disaster, weather-related or manmade where State or Federal troops are called in some our rights may be suspended temporarily and you would pretty much have to look that up to get the full details because it is very sticky business, but still, I have never heard of residents guns being taken away until Steveo brought it up (individuals yes if that gun is used in a crime) but, curfews and closeurs of certain areas imposed and I have seen that done.
        UNDER THE LAW a Patient/Doctor relationship is protected. It is against the law to obtain that information without permission by the patient. Now you asked if I thought those who had an abortion should be listed in a database. My answer is NO. Why? Because UNDER THE LAW abortions are legal in this country up to a certain time period or in the extreme case of danger to the mother's life. If someone threatens their own life or that of another person that is already born, THAT IS AGAINST THE LAW and I believe you should be reported into a database by a registered healthcare provider or law enforcement personnel. You cannot be committed to a mental hospital against your will without due process and that is very sticky business as well. You can regain some legal rights to guns.
        Felons, people with restraining orders should not qualify because they are most likely to use a gun against another or, in the execution of a crime.
        You asked if I thought the Experiment that is this country can fail? We are human-beings and we are not perfect nor will we ever be BUT the thought that this country could fail or, any country could fail is always on the minds of that country's citizens. I am no different than anyone else in that respect but, I will do as much as I can to care and will not give up on our future til the day I die. More than anything, I am so grateful to live in this most wonderful country.

January 18, 2013 at 3:45 pm |
      • December 2012

John, what is wrong with keeping guns where they are supposed to be? They should be in the hands of law abiding citizens and not in the hands of gangsters, criminals and the mentally unstable. Throw whatever name at me all you want, that doesn't make you an less unreasonable.

If you want to keep a list of women who had abortions, that's your fetish...err, choice.

January 18, 2013 at 3:54 pm |
      • Cynthia L.

John, I answered three or four of your questions but, I'm taking my turn at being moderated. Cheers.

January 18, 2013 at 5:25 pm |
  5. June

ell – this is what I would like to see for the next 4 years

There are three things that greatly increase the quality of life and standard of living for all Americans and ensure that businesses can generate wealth in a modern economy. They are an affordable education that creates an educated workforce, modern infrastructure that is essential for business success, national security and public safety, and affordable housing that increases the quality of life and living standards of many Americans. The ACA begins to tackle the forth essential for quality of life healthcare – So I will discuss the remaining three.

Infrastructure:

I would like to see infrastructure declared vital to national security so that money in the defense budget can also be used for infrastructure as conflicts wind down overseas. Our electric grid is vulnerable to attack and our roads bridges and water supply systems are in need of repair to protect the safety of all Americans. Making infrastructure vital to national security will allow the defense budget to remain funded in case of new foreign conflicts. Veterans and military personnel displaced by any shift in funds will have priority hiring status for infrastructure projects.

Education: I would like to see a national college system established. This new federal public option would be used to increase affordable access to a college degree. It would be primarily an online university with testing sites throughout the nation based at community colleges or libraries. The point of the national college would be to help drive down college tuition costs for most Americans. I would also like to see states receive more money to hire back teachers.

Housing: I would like to see an large expansion of HUD homes for purchase by the public with an option for lower income buyers to qualify for a permanent mortgage by making timely payments for a year on a temporary qualifying mortgage. With a good payment history they can qualify the following year for a standard mortgage with an additional 1 year owner occupant status.

January 17, 2013 at 11:55 am |
    • Cynthia L.

A BIG THUMBS UP for some great ideas. Thanks, June.

January 18, 2013 at 10:49 am |
    • jean2009

Great goals, and add our working hard for clean renewable energy. We need all these things if we are to succeed and thrive in the 21st Century.

January 18, 2013 at 12:02 pm |
    • NAN VET

THE STATE TAX PAYERS DECIDE ON HOW TO BEST SPEND MONEY ON EDUCATION. THE FEDS ARE NOT TO BE INVOLED IN THAT PROCESS. THE FEDS SPEND LKIE NO ONE CAN BELIEVE. WHY IS THAT--BECAUSE THEY LOVE TO SPEND OTHER FOLKS MONIES. IF IT CAME OUT OF THEIR POCKETS YOU WOULD NERVER SEE A DIME. WE AS
      TAX PAYERS ALWAYS WIND UP WITH THE BILL IN ALL THEY DO.

January 20, 2013 at 1:26 pm |
  6. acdcguy

Dear President Obama," the letter reads. "I think there should be some changes in the law with guns. It's a free country but I recommend there needs be a limit with guns. Please don't let people own machine guns or other powerful guns like that. I think there should be a good reason to get a gun. I think there should be a limit about how many guns a person can own. We should learn from what happened at Sandy Hook es. I feel really bad about what just happened."

The letter is signed, "Grant," who says he's 8 years old.

"P.S," the letter concludes, "I know you're doing your best."

Do you people honestly believe an 8yr old wrote this with no coaxing from his parents and/or our gov't? Come on now, I know you people follow this man blindly but least open your eyes on this.... Can almost gaurantee you Obama added the "P.S" himself!!!

January 17, 2013 at 1:01 pm |
    • Moose

I dont, why didnt he bring up the subject of Parenting??? The majority of gun violaters come from inner city lower income single parent enviroments. How about making parents responsable for thier kids ??

January 17, 2013 at 1:19 pm |
      • NAN VET

GREAT IDEA–OB WAS A COMMUITY ORGANIZER IN CHI AND THEY ARE THE ONES WITH THE GUNS IN CHICAGO --
        MUST BE HE CONFUSED THEM -WAS IT HIS PLAN FOR CHAOS--JUST SAYING. --SEEMS TO PLAY INTO ALL THAT HE HAS DONE. FOOD FOR THOUGHT.--I WILL LEAVE IT AT THAT AND LET THE FUR FLY.

January 20, 2013 at 1:35 pm |
    • steveo

Of course the little guy was coaxed on by his parents. I don't have problem with that because parents pass on their values to their children. I just wasn't thrilled with using the children as stage props. I know some disagree with me but that is my opinion!

January 17, 2013 at 2:00 pm |
      • jean2009

I think children have as much a right to be present as anyone... after all 20 of them died at Newtown, and at Columbine, in the movie theater, with Gabby Giffords, and most everyone of these incidences. Everyone is someone's child. And children are the future. Doesn't it sort of dimish the rights of children when they to are paying the price for what is going on....and now you insist because the White House is the venue.... they should have no rights.

January 17, 2013 at 7:06 pm |
      • Steveo

@Jean,

Stop putting words into my mouth. Who stated the children had NO rights? I said earlier that the PARENTS made their decision to allow THEIR children to be there, remember? You have this ridiculous notion that by expressing MY opinion, that somehow equates to me stripping children of their rights! You have already said that more than once and every time you say it, you are WRONG!

January 17, 2013 at 9:19 pm |
    • December 2012

You're right. My 8 yr old can write better. So now you are down to questioning a kid's ability to write. How low can you go?

Why are you so outraged by this? Oh wait, don't bother. It's because Obama is the one up there with those kids.

You probably think Obama put a gun to their head. Oh the irony.

January 17, 2013 at 2:38 pm |
      • acdcguy

I have two 9yr olds, I believe are fairly intelligent, though I'm sure you will tell me they are stupid just like their dad because everyone knows anyone against Obama is ignorant.....anyway, my kids can write pretty good too, as they do with letters writtin to their grandparents and assignments at school but content of this boys lettter is what I find suspicious. Then again, my kids already have their own guns, that's probably why they didn't write the All Mighty Great Leader........... outraged? Nope, just disgusted.......

January 17, 2013 at 3:20 pm |
      • Caramon

My 8 yr old can write better. Careful December, we are coming close to guessing your age.

You probably think Obama put a gun to their head. Nope. I would guess the kids were pretty excited about being there.

January 17, 2013 at 4:50 pm |
      • jean2009

My great-grandbaby could write it in cursive .

January 17, 2013 at 7:32 pm |
  7. Moose

Pretty lame he tried 10 yrs ago, boo hoo if his rating goes down, and to be very clear it isnt just a black problem, too many parents (single/together) are dumping thier kids off at day care to be raised by under paid day care workers

January 17, 2013 at 3:11 pm |
    • Cynthia L.

There are plenty of stay home parents that plop their children in front of the television all day or provide mindless video games to play for hours upon hours. The quality of the time parents spend with their children is of supreme importance at home.

January 17, 2013 at 3:53 pm |
  8. Moose

For christ sakes im sick of excuses if you cant get the job done, get out, hes the pres the buck stops there. how long will you people give him ??? a pass????

January 17, 2013 at 3:18 pm |
    • Cynthia L.

Moose, you are an unhappy person in general and there is nothing that this president or anyone else can do about it BUT YOU.

January 17, 2013 at 3:56 pm |
      • Moose

Actually im very happy, and really none of this directly effects me , kids, guns etc, and ive done well, but i was always accountable for my actions (whether good or not so good) if you take a position you need to be able to handle it. He said himself the buck stops with him. I think if you take the job you need to provide more than lip service, i really dont think its too much to ask from anyone let alone the pres. Actions speak louder than words.

January 17, 2013 at 4:36 pm |
    • jean2009

What excuses? He just signed 3 executuive orders and enacted 20 other actions....doesn't sound like excuses to me.
      I think your main problem and only problem is that he is actually getting the job done, and that fact burns you up.

January 17, 2013 at 7:37 pm |
      • Moose

Ill close gitmo, ill cut deficet in half or wont run, job council hasnt meet in year, unemp #s, GNP #s get real lady this guy aint done squat, 3 more exec orders without house or senate approval ??? your the one burning cause dingleberry aint getting it done , get over yourself !!!!!!!!!!

January 18, 2013 at 9:18 am |
      • jean2009

"That's funny, because I don't recall any Republican thinking that the Jobs Council would accomplish much of anything when it came to life in January 2011. Republicans above all have been mordantly skeptical that solutions ginned up in Washington will help revive the economy—even if they come from corporate bigwigs assembled at the behest of the president.

Yet the Republican outrage machine has gone into overdrive since Politico reported that the President's Council on Jobs and Competitiveness hasn't convened in six months. GOP presidential contender Mitt Romney jabbed at Obama for showing up at 106 fundraisers over the last six months, while not meeting with his jobs advisers once. House Speaker John Boehner lamented that Obama "doesn't even have time to meet with his own jobs council."
        Actually the Jobs Act passed in 2012 was a result of the Jobs Council's work...Oh you forgot to mention that because it might not fit with your warped perspective on things.

Really! Give Me a Break! You are now asking for more people talking in a room? Who would have guessed!

Gitmo not closed....Well! Hello! Who was opposed to that happening? I'm sure the Teapitty will be willing to help you with getting it done.

January 18, 2013 at 11:55 am |
    • NAN VET

AS LONG AS THE PEOPLE STAY ON THE DOLE THEY WILL GIVE HIM A PASS. STOP THE DOLE AND HE WILL BE HISTORY. I FOR ONE DO NOT SUPPORT PAYING FOR VOTES WITH THE TAXPAYERS HARD EARNED MONEY.

January 20, 2013 at 1:41 pm |
  9. acdcguy

and now i'm being monitored.......wtf

January 17, 2013 at 3:41 pm |
  10. Frank Marshall Davis

Number of homicides in Chicago so far this year: 25

January 17, 2013 at 5:57 pm |
    • Cynthia L.

And three weeks after the Sandy Hook School shooting we have just barely under 1,000 gun deaths in the nation overall.

January 17, 2013 at 7:21 pm |
  11. Marie

This president has been about blame like none I've ever seen... "It was Bush, It was House Republicans". Anyone who believes Obama isn't in charge is wrong, and all you Democrats certainly looked at this position from my point of view when Bush was president. He had a Democrat Congress when the recession hit- let's blame them

January 17, 2013 at 7:03 pm |
    • jean2009

Dennis Hastert (Republican-Illinois) was Speaker of the House from Jan. 1999 to Jan. 2007.
      :In the Senate from 1999-2001 Trent Lott -(Republican -Mississippi) was Senate Majority Leader and from 2003-Jan 2008 – William Frist-(Republican Tennesee) was Majority Leader of the Senate.

So reveiw some history...the policies that lead to the recession were formed in 2001-2003...when Bush cut taxes, started draining the treasury with tax rebates, and started two unfunded wars. At both incidents the control of both houses was Republican.

January 17, 2013 at 7:26 pm |
      • steveo

At the risk of sounding liek a broken CD (I was going to say record but that is too old school). BOTH parties voted to FUND and FIGHT those wars! Very few said no (both Dems and GOP). BOTH parties voted for the tax cuts and rebates! BOTH PARTIES ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR THE MESS WE ARE IN! Didn't th erecession hit in 2007? Wasn't that during te l;ast 2 years of the Bush presidency? Wasn't that under the leadership of Pelosi? Isn't she a liberal Dem?

In fact, plenty believe Bush inherited a reccesion from Clinton but I have NEVER heard Bush whine about it

January 18, 2013 at 10:16 am |
      • Caramon

George W. Bush had a Democratic congress the last two years of his 8 year presidency. Yes Jean, and the economy crashed in the second half of those two years. Giving more money back to the populace does not necessarily cause a recession by itself. Even an international group of economists understood the role the housing bubble played in causing the economy to crash. The causes that led up to the housing bubble was led by Barney Franks and the Democrats in Congress. Yet, you failed time and time again to even acknowledge the role of the housing bubble. 300 million people have more control over the economy than 1, even the President. People should consider what they can afford before buying.

Truth is Jean, you want people to respect your viewpoint. Then you must also respect their viewpoint. Instead you belittle people who disagree with you. Has it ever occurred to you that you may once be wrong?

Young Barack Obama was once given a piece of advice. He wrote about it in his book, Dream of my Father. A man told him that people who really want to succeed will find a way to do it no matter what obstacles are in their way. Why would he write about it if it didn't have some truth to it.

January 18, 2013 at 10:30 am |
      • steveo

Sorry about the spelling but my point is this BOTH parties, BOTH, had a hand in this mess! BOTH parties are going to have to work together to get us out of it, BOTH! Obama was in the Senate when things went south. What role did HE play in this, as a Senator? We need folks to burn energy getting us out rather than than keep talking about how we got in it!

January 18, 2013 at 10:42 am |
      • jean2009

And if you will check the framework for why it crashed were formed in the first 2 years. It takes 4 to 5 years for any government regulation, law, or Initiative to work its way through the system and cause problems.

"But the reality is that the Republican Party’s policies are responsible for the economic chaos that America is in right now and it is very clear. The United States government spends more money each month than the revenues that it generates and it is no wonder why the country is in debt. You cannot spend more money compared to the amount that you make and expect to be in good financial shape. Not even an average person in any country can do that and expect to not face consequences." -the Hub Plus whose policy was it that the money was not coming in....George W. Bush.

Twelve Things Republicans Don't Want You to Know:
        1.President Obama Cut Taxes for Almost All Working Americans
        2.Ronald Reagan Tripled the National Debt
        3.George W. Bush Doubled the National Debt
        4.Reagan Raised Debt Ceiling 17 Times, George W. Bush 7 times.
        5.Tax Cuts Don't Pay for Themselves
        6.Almost All Working Americans Pay Taxes
        7.The GOP's "Job Creators" Don't Create Jobs
        8.Low Capital Gains Taxes Fuel Income Inequality...
        9....But Not Investment
        10.The Estate Tax Has Virtually No Impact on Family Farms and Businesses
        11. Income Inequality Has Reached an 80 Year High...
        12....While the Federal Tax Burden Has Hit a 60 Year Low
        There were many factors involved in creating the Bush Deficits, including the normal ebb and flow of the economy, but presidential mismanagement was by far the biggest factor.

Bush Republicans abandoned three key conservative principles: a balanced budget, a strong military, and service to country. Instead Republicans implemented several other conservative ideas, including lower taxes for the rich and deregulation of the financial industry. The result was a fiscal disaster.

The first to go was the call to make sacrifices for your country. After the 9/11 attacks, the entire country was united behind the President. But instead of asking Americans to make sacrifices for their country in a time of war, Bush told us to go on vacation.

Instead of asking Americans to pay higher taxes to pay for the War On Terror, Bush threw away the balanced budget and choose to borrow money instead. Americans understood why taxes needed to be raised for the war effort, but Bush and the Republicans didn’t.

Republicans thought that holding down taxes was more important than paying for the war. Republicans thought that lowering taxes on the wealthy and deregulating the financial industry would spark the economy.

Exactly the opposite happened. The wheels came off.

January 18, 2013 at 11:41 am |
      • steveo

I agree Bush turned away from conservative fiscal principles but remember we were attacked! I fully understand you will never be fond of Bush, your call but I have a hard time understanding why you cannot admit Bush had Democratic help in his policies. Not that it matters much but in your items 1-12, there is not one democratic name! Democrats voted to fund and fight. Anybody really believes they cast their votes against their will? I don't think so! Regardless, it is time for BOTH parties to work to get us out of the mess we are in! What is stopping these guys is a lack of respect and a bully mentality from some on BOTH sides! Bush experienced the very same thing! I'm betting Washington did as well!

I find it interesting that under a GOP administration, the lone culprit sits in the Oval office but under a Dem administration, the culprit sits elsewhere! How does that happen?

January 18, 2013 at 12:00 pm |
      • Marie

Yes, but the last 2 years was when a lot of things started to go run. Plus, the Bush tax cuts were a good thing according to president Obama, well, 98% of them. Plus, it is time to stop blaming. Reagan didn't blame Carter in 1985 for all of the things Carter did wrong, and there is a HUGE list of them. Part of the responsibility is accepting hardship- and if he can't do that after 4 years than he should not be president. If he begins to blame himself, then I will have some gratitude toward him.

January 19, 2013 at 9:59 am |
  12. Moose

Jean if you believe that, then CLINTON IS TO BLAME, ck your time lines, its ok as long as you can blame any one but the bamman, clinton did it with the NAFTA ACT, talk about wiggling the pencil, its a shame you will wake up one day and feel like wow i was so wrong about bamaman

January 18, 2013 at 1:33 pm |
  13. steveo

Interestly how we were just talking about Katrina and guns in the past few days when, lo and behold the former mayor of 'Nawlins, Ray Nagin, has been busted on corruption charges! Let me point out now that all I am talking about is TIMING, no more no less!

January 18, 2013 at 4:05 pm |
    • Cynthia L.

Nagin has been having trouble for awhile but, this takes the cake. In other news, ex-Gov. Sanford wants to be forgiven for leaving his state, leaving no one in charge while he sneaked down to Argentina to be with his lover leaving his wife and kids and now wants to run for office in So. Carolina again. Lance Armstrong who turned out to be a hands down liar after all the years of dramatic denials but still isn't really taking responsibility for his inability be truthful becauses it's about the win and a chance to talk to Oprah. Nortre Dame football star making up a tragic love story and doing a poor job of selling it to the fans who are now telling him to get a life and a 'real girlfriend'. Tom Selleck keeping unusually quiet about his being on the board of the NRA letting everyone else look like the losers they are but, trying to keep his armor shiney because it's about his image and box-office sales for his next flop-film.. Big news week. Whew.

January 18, 2013 at 10:27 pm |
      • Steveo

Sanford now believes he can represent the interests of the people when he could not do it for his own wife and children? No thanks! I do believe in forgiveness but that does not mean he gets to go the DC! He still has work to do with his children! Get it right with them! That should be priority one!

January 19, 2013 at 12:09 pm |
      • NAM VET

NAGIN IS LOOKING AT 15 YEARS FOR HIS GRAFT ON ALL THE CITIZENS HE WAS TO SERVE. THAT IS JUST THE
        WAY IT IS. HE TOOK ADVANTAGE OF CHAOS JUST AS OBAMA HAS DONE FROM THE BEGINNING. POLITICS IS
        CORRUPPTING AND WE LET IT HAPPEN AS IT IS BEING DONE. CRY WOLF WHEN IT IS TO LATE. SEND THEM TO JAIL
        AT OUR EXPENCE ONCE AGAIN–WE ALWAYS GET STUCK WITH THE BILL.

January 20, 2013 at 1:53 pm |
      • DEcember 2012

"JUST AS OBAMA..."

Okay, are you trying to say Obama committed graft? Do you have any proof of this allegation? It's time for you to back up all your statements with facts.

January 20, 2013 at 6:46 pm |
  14. Download

Unquestionably believe that that you said. Your favourite justification seemed to be at the web the simplest factor to take into accout of. I say to you, I definitely get irked whilst people consider concerns that they plainly do not recognize about. You controlled to hit the nail upon the top as smartly as defined out the whole thing with no need side effect , folks can take a signal. Will probably be again to get more. Thanks

January 19, 2013 at 9:01 am |

Huh??

January 21, 2013 at 6:03 pm |
  15. Marie

But Lance Armstrong, as much as I really am angry with him, was not an elected official and neither is Manti Te'o. They just happen to be sports people, and no one voted them into that position because of character.

January 19, 2013 at 10:01 am |
    • Cynthia L.

You're right. But, I was hinting that fame and glory doesn't equal character, either. This nation is enthralled with fake heroes in the sports and entertainment industry way beyond what is healthy.
      And, since I feel a response coming on, I'll project what that might be and answer that no, Barack Obama is not my hero but, I certainly think he has character. My children are my heroes

January 19, 2013 at 10:36 am |
      • Marie

Actually I'm not witty enough to think of that, and it's not because I'm a Republican. No, I know you guys don't worship Obama like I don't worship Reagan or Bush.

January 19, 2013 at 9:16 pm |
  16. bta89

POTUS is visiting a school in Atlanta today. I doubt it's quiet there.

February 14, 2013 at 12:10 pm |
  17. California Consevative

How about straightening out congress by 8itch slapping some common sense into Harry Reid.

February 28, 2013 at 2:51 pm |