Quiet Friday at the White House
February 8th, 2013

Quiet Friday at the White House

White House officials have said that President Obama's team has been in contact with state and local officials in New England in preparation of the winter storm and blizzard that will hit this evening and over the weekend. Meanwhile, the President spends his Friday mostly behind closed doors. We assume he'll continue meeting with his advisers about the storm and other matters. This afternoon, he'll head over the Potomac River to attend the farewell ceremony of Defense Secretary Leon Panetta at Joint Base Myer-Henderson in Arlington, Virginia. There isn't a White House briefing scheduled for today so we will most likely have to wait until next week for more information from the White House.

Guidance from the White House:

10:30AM THE PRESIDENT and THE VICE PRESIDENT receive the Presidential Daily Briefing

Oval Office (Closed Press)

1:00PM THE PRESIDENT and THE VICE PRESIDENT meet for lunch

Private Dining Room (Closed Press)

3:55PM THE PRESIDENT delivers remarks at the Armed Forces Farewell Tribute in honor of Defense Secretary Leon Panetta

Joint Base Myer-Henderson (Pooled for TV; Open to Still Photographers and Correspondents)

###

1. TommytheT

wow what a schedule. Maybe today he can meet with the real press and explain what he was doing in the 7 hours of the Libya attack where is Sec of Def and Head of the Joint Chiefs just testified that he had no communication with them on the attack except what was discussed for 10 minutes at a pre-scheduled security briefing as the attack was starting. Of course Mr Obama's PR Media like CNN will not report on it but the tape is there for any to listen to and be disgusted that not even a call from Mr Obama on how is it going, let alone any attempt to be a leaders and CIC during the attack.

February 8, 2013 at 9:58 am |
  2. jean2009

I imagine people who are busy with one of these situations don't spend all their time on the phone calling the president every few minutes to update him...or him calling and disrupting them ever few minutes to see how it is going. That doesn't seem like it would be helpful or productive considering that playing musical phone calls will not bring results considering the nearest Special Ops force was in Italy.

They make the president aware of the situation, and continue to do their jobs which is keep in touch with the people on the ground and in the situation.

Not includingthe 3,000 + who lost their lives on 9/11/2001 – I can count 13 attacks on our embassies, consulates and diplomatic compounds around the world during the G.W. Bush administration which resulted in the deaths of a total of 71 people.

February 8, 2013 at 10:39 am |
    • steveo

I hope your not blaming those attacks on Bush. We just had an attack in Turkey and our embassies in Africa were attacked under Clinton! These are not the fault of a president UNLESS they knew sercurity was lax and they did nothing about it!

February 8, 2013 at 10:45 am |

TommyT- Steveo

I'm sure that each president has known that most consulates and diplomatic compounds are not situated next door to a U.S. military base.... so yes, they ALL including Bush know these bases are not totally secure.and that they can basically not do all that much about it. Considering 71 people died during Bush's 8 years...not including the 3000 on 9/11/2001 about which he was prewarned....that means yes ...Bush like the current President, or for that matter any president cannot do much in these situation. We should all know by now it is not a safe milk and honey world we are living in, or where we have all our diplomats stationed.

You do understand the brunt of the first attack on Benghazi was over in the first hour, and the second attack which happened later was made on the CIA annex a separate location?

We are not dealing with a made by hollywood drama. Before you deploy troops you need to know the situation on the ground; exactly where they are needed when they arrive...or they too could be walking into an attack.

The 5 P.M. (Washington time) meeting of Sec. Def. Panetta and the President was 78 minutes after the first Benghazi attack started...and 30 minutes before the second attack started. At 5 P.M. Washington time....Ambassador Stevens had already been killed..

February 8, 2013 at 10:45 pm |
      • Steveo

@ Jean, I am not talking about embassies being near bases. I am talking about embassies that have lax security,

February 8, 2013 at 11:49 pm |
      • jean2009

In far too many locations the situation is such that there could never be enough security due to the level of local violence. If the location was totally secure we probably would have already built a full scale embassy, and not be dependent on a consulate, or a diplomatic compound. Many Ambassadors know they are not going to a tea at 4 location, and that their missions will be hazardous.

Maybe read-Can American Diplomacy ever come out of the bunker?

February 10, 2013 at 1:48 pm |
      • jean2009

steveo – I doubt very much if what was available was lax security...it was just not enough security for the situation, but in some locations we need to understand that there is no such thing as ever having enough security, in a short amount of time.

Basically what the State Department has, in far too many world locations, is either diplomacy conducted from a multi-million dollar bunker. Or a very insecure American Presence outpost located in a volatile situation, where time hasn't allowed for more security to be provided. Libya would have been one of the latter. We haven't had time since the fall of Gaddafi to build a muti-million dollar bunker for security.

February 11, 2013 at 12:36 pm |
    • TommytheT

Jean you are kidding right? Mr Obama is POTUS and CIC. The POTUS is the only person who can order our troops to move into a country. Our Ambassador and citizen are under attack and he can not find the "TIME" to engage? Yet he made sure he had the camera's on when he was watching live the Bin Laden attack where he made us all know He GAVE the order. Sorry but being told of an attack and not once in 7+ hours even a communication to get an update or help ensure all possible resources were being used to respond? Wow, I hope you really do not believe that.

February 8, 2013 at 11:17 am |
      • acdcguy

tommytheT,......don't recall seeing you much in this section. There are few regulars here that they think Obama can do no wrong and you will never convince them otherwise but it is fun trying!!!!! Keep it up.......

February 8, 2013 at 11:32 am |
      • Cynthia L.

acdcguy – you couldn't be MORE WRONG on thinking we defend Obama on every front and you know it.
        I'll give a few examples that will tweek your twinkies.
        Obama seems to think that now carrying a loaded weapon into our Nat'l Parks at anytime is okay. I am against it. AND have said so.
        Obama has started the southern portion of the Keystone Pipeline against the concerns of those who are fighting a potential environmental disaster by a company known to be in gross neglience in past pipeline breaks.
        I could list many more.
        However, you pretty much do nothing to add to any conversation with any real facts and therefore are happily stroking your own lack of education on many fronts for all to view. But, hey, go ahead and make my day. You don't ruffle my feathers but, I have to say I think your stuffing fell out a long time ago. Just wondering how you hold your head up. Hahahahahaha

February 8, 2013 at 11:57 am |
      • Caramon

Likewise Cynthia, I don't think it is necessary to disagree with everything he does and I have said so. I believe his handling of Sandy was good for example. So, my compliments to you.

"Obama dropped wolves from protected status, still allowing ranchers to graze their livestock on Federal Lands but, now it's okay if a wolf is shot anywhere outside of a park even though cattle are not in danger of becoming extinct but wolves are."

I agree with you on this one. As a zoo volunteer wolves have been one of my favs, beautiful animals. Of course I have been particularly fond of predatory animals particularly big cats.

February 8, 2013 at 12:34 pm |
      • Cynthia L.

Thanks for volunteering at your zoo, Caramon. I proves you care about the many creatures that bless this planet.

February 8, 2013 at 12:45 pm |
      • Caramon

Thanks Cynthia. I originally started working at the zoo because it could eventually lead to a job there. Most people who work at the zoo started as volunteers. I continued working there because I really enjoyed it. Did I mention I was one of three volunteers doing observation when the baby elephant was born years ago, 4:55 in the AM. It was really a memorable experience. People working at the zoo, keepers especially, really care about the animals.

February 8, 2013 at 2:18 pm |
      • Cynthia L.

I envy the experience of seeing the birth of a baby elephant, Caramon. Lucky you.

February 8, 2013 at 4:37 pm |
      • Caramon

Thanks Cynthia. I was in fact very lucky. I normally worked observations on Saturday mornings. That weekend the Sunday volunteer switched with me. But I would like to share an even more memorable experience I had. I was doing education work in the research building when a young girl, perhaps 7 or 8 wanted to learn about the research conducted at the zoo. She had been learning about the inter-species emb transfers in school and asked her parents to see the building. She was very bright and had a wonderful smile. Fifteen years later, I still remember. Totally made my day.

February 8, 2013 at 5:20 pm |
      • Kathy

Jean has serious information issues. I think she is really Stephanie Cutter in disguise! Sounds like one of her hateful attempts at twisting the truth! Please note that I voted for Obama in 2008 but quickly changed my mind after him doing nothing but pushing Obamacare his first 8 months in office!

February 8, 2013 at 11:31 pm |
      • jean2009

Caramon you do need to visit The Wilds I know you would thoroughly enjoy it. Although, I have not seen an elephant born, many years ago I had the pleasure of working for two years where I cared for a green rhesus monkey every day. Most recent wildlife experiences holding a red-tail hawk and a barred owl that can't be released back into the wild.

February 10, 2013 at 1:18 pm |
      • Caramon

Thanks Jean. I have heard wonderful things about the wilds. There are often many zoo trips for volunteers to visit the wilds. Hopefully, some day, I will have a chance to see them.

February 10, 2013 at 8:04 pm |
      • Caramon

Did I mention I was once chased by a couple of tigers. They were only young cubs. Beautiful animals.

February 10, 2013 at 8:06 pm |
      • jean2009

I have a great-neice who is studying to be a zoologist.

February 11, 2013 at 12:04 pm |
      • Caramon

Excellent. My best wishes to your grand-niece for her future endeavors.

February 11, 2013 at 2:07 pm |
    • Moose

Bush is no longer in office, bamman is, pls try to keep up, its ok your a brown noser the world need fodder !!!!!

February 8, 2013 at 3:56 pm |
      • jean2009

Yes...we have kept up...we understand that Bush threw the brick that broke the window and it is taking time to pick up the shattered glass. Sorry you have a problem of dealing with reality.

February 8, 2013 at 11:00 pm |
      • Kathy

Jean...if Obama was not up to the challenge.....he did not have to run for office. I am so tired of the whining of what he inherited. He should have let McCain have the job if it is too hard for him! He is smart enough....just too arrogant and can't lead Congress to solve problems. NOT Bush's fault!

February 8, 2013 at 11:37 pm |
      • Steveo

@jean, So Bush broke a window? Didn't you say Clinton let the horse out of the barn?

February 8, 2013 at 11:47 pm |
      • jean2009

More like he broke the mirror that caused 7 years bad luck.

February 10, 2013 at 1:29 pm |
      • jean2009

Kathy the mess was there..... but this President is more than up to the task....I think the biggest problem where there is a lack of being ready to do the right thing for the American people lies with the GOP congress.

February 11, 2013 at 12:39 pm |
    • NAM VET

WHAT IS YOUR NATIONALITY,YOU SEEM TO RELISH IT WHEN AMERICANS DIE. WHO DO YOU SUPPORT-–
      AMERICA OR THE ONES WHO WOULD DO US HARM-YOU NEED TO DECIDE IF YOU ARE AN AMERICAN OR JUST
      A CURY HEADED DEBBIE---OR JUST A BIG MOUTH WHEN IT COMES TO COMMENTS TO OTHERS. WHAT WAR DID
      YOU SERVE IN-WAR OF THE WORLDS–WAR OF INDEPENDANCE–BORE WAR--OR JUST A BAD TALK WITH THE
      TEACHER AT CONFERENCE TIME--–

February 12, 2013 at 1:47 pm |
  3. sue

and then there are the republican degenerates who never find anything good to say about the president and are so ill informed they basically have nothing good to say about anything.

February 8, 2013 at 11:43 am |
    • steveo

Let me turn your attention to Pelosi and Reid and a myriad of other libs and their CONTINUED treatment of Bush! You do see the "Bush bashing" comments here don't you? Is it just as wrong when liberals STILL bash Bush or any other GOP member, or is it only when the GOP bash liberals? Which is it?

February 8, 2013 at 12:20 pm |
    • Moose

oh boo hoo, fodder

February 8, 2013 at 4:34 pm |
  4. freedom

After that explosively revealing testimony yesterday of the president's stunning absence the night of the Benghazi tragedy, it should be quiet. What do they call it.... the calm before the storm??

February 8, 2013 at 12:25 pm |
    • Kathy

Let's hope so. Appalling performance by Obama and Clinton! POTUS is not an 8-5 job!

February 8, 2013 at 11:40 pm |
      • jean2009

Read the time line and you will understand that Ambassador Stevens had already been killed before the President was notified. The President was informed at 5:00 P.M. the compound where Ambassador Stevens was staying was on fire at 4:32 P.M. our time. Ambassador Stevens was not at the Embassy in Tripoli he was on a trip to Benghazi and meet with the Turkish Ambassador. Knowing how insecure the Benghazi area outpost was, and that he had requested more security....why pick the aniversary of 9/11 to travel to such an insecure location? Maybe that is the question we should ask.

February 11, 2013 at 1:33 pm |
    • NAM VET

WHEN YOU HAVE BIG BOOBS PRESSED OVER BOTH EARS YOU CAN NEVER HEAR THE PHONE RING–BEEN THERE
      --–JUST SAYING--SOMEONE HEARD THE PHONE RING--------AWOL IS THE TERM THAT COMES TO
      MIND. NO EXCUSES WHAT SO EVER WILL BE ACCEPTED. WHEN YOU WORK 24-7 ,THAT MEANS 24-7-DUTY CALLS.
      YOU RESPOND AT ONCE OR YOU ARE IN DEEP DO DO--–UNLESS YOU CAN BLAME SOMEONE ELSE. THEN YOU
      ARE IN DOUBLE-NO WIGGLING OUT OF RESONSABILITY–THAT IS JUST THE WAY IT IS.

February 12, 2013 at 2:02 pm |
  5. Moose

@ cindi, see jean 2009 response and ditto to u !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

February 8, 2013 at 3:57 pm |
  6. Moose

Democrat Melowese Richardson has been an official poll worker for the last quarter century and registered thousands of people to vote last year. She candidly admitted to Cincinnati’s Channel 9 this week that she voted twice in the last election

February 8, 2013 at 4:14 pm |
  7. jean2009

Roxanne Rubin -Nevada Republican arrested for voting twice in two polling places.

February 8, 2013 at 11:09 pm |
    • Moose

Its pathedic what a follower you are, its ok the world needs fodder enjoy it !!!!

February 9, 2013 at 10:10 am |
      • Cynthia L.

And, I suppose you know that "MOOSE" means TWIG EATER. Sounds about right. Yum-yum, eh, MOOSE?

February 9, 2013 at 11:43 am |
      • jean2009

Moose can't take tit-for-tat plus the only fodder he has is between his ears.

February 10, 2013 at 1:22 pm |
      • jean2009

Right he is not up on that modern stuff. I would say totally 50's out of touch!

February 10, 2013 at 1:27 pm |
    • John

Good post Jean. I am all for showing ID at the polls before voting takes place. I am glad you are with us on this one.

February 12, 2013 at 8:49 am |
      • jean2009

Actually John I have read both articles, and the woman in Cincinnati was wrong for voting both absentee and on the day of the election...both ballots were for the precinct for she was registered she thought the built in system would disallow her absentee ballot from being counted (which it should, but didn't). The woman in Nevada tried to vote by being registered at two separate precincts.

For several years due to being a care giver I voted absentee ballot. For the last election I voted at the polls but took the absentee ballot I received but hadn't filled out with me, I handed it to the poll worker and asked him to destroy it, as I was voting in person. I even watched him shred it.

I'm sure both ladies had ID the one in Cincinnati was actually a poll worker....rule of thumb vote once..and I agree a valid ID should be required.

Ohio polls require a current valid ID. If the person is not using a driver's license then the ID must be dated within the current election year, and if it is a drivers license it should not be expired.

February 12, 2013 at 11:24 am |
  8. Moose

@cin that was a majorly lame comeback, wheres your nasty normal comments ???

February 9, 2013 at 1:36 pm |
    • Cynthia L.

What? You never looked it up in the dictionary before this?? BWAH-hahahahhah!!!! Psst,.....there's a little bark stuck between your teeth. Fodder!

February 9, 2013 at 2:15 pm |
      • Moose

Much better your normal nasty self, and as usual, no originality, just a blind bamman follower FODDER !!!!

February 9, 2013 at 3:06 pm |
      • Cynthia L.

Sorry to disappoint you, TWIGGY.

February 9, 2013 at 4:05 pm |
  9. Moose

@cin, not bad, now if we just get you off the hard stuff maybe youll see what a inept bozo the bamman really is !!!!

February 9, 2013 at 5:41 pm |
    • Cynthia L.

Well,.....I really need a cushion for the chair I'm sitting on so, I agree at least with that part.

February 9, 2013 at 6:43 pm |
  10. Sid

The fact of the matter is Obama is an empty suit. He was in his first 4 years and looks like more of the same for his 2 nd term as well. He is a total Narcissist. All you have to do is watch the video of the good Dr at the prayer breakfast to see his personality come out ( or lack of) he clapped at first untill the Dr started politly and eloquintly insulting Obama and how he has royaly F-ed up in his LACK OF leadership, passing the buck,( its all Bush' s fault!!!!!!) Now its the Republicans this term) also his flat out lying by his administration ( Bengazi, Fast-nFurious) etc. All I know is im glad 9/11 happened when Bush was in office instead of this numbskull because he is arming out enemies ( Egypt) who is lead by the leader of The Muslim Brotherhoid who also is in kahoots with Hamas, Al- Quaida and a whole host of other terrorist groups. Also most likely the billions we givecEgypt every year is most likely finding its way to train terrorists like the ones that attacked us on 9/11 what good are sanctions?? If they are getting money from some country we give it to as well as planes and tanks. How long before our troops are fighting American made hardware given to a country by the US President??? Whos fault is it gonna be then Mr President?????? MICKEY MOUSE'S????????

February 10, 2013 at 11:33 am |
    • jean2009

9/11 happened on Bush's watch because he was not up to the job.

February 11, 2013 at 1:36 pm |
      • John

So it was all Bush's fault? LOL!!!

February 11, 2013 at 1:59 pm |
      • steveo

You actually think the terrorists decided to attack because Bush was not up to the job? So you complain when the Congress authorized him to respond? So then, why was the USS Cole and our embassies in Africa attacked? These events happened under Clinton Or how about Benghazi or the recent attack in Turkey? Those events happened under Obama! Guess neither one of those where up to the job either, right? Well, based upon your assessment, that would be true! Looks like you don't understand tactical and strategic planning. When were these guys trained to fly a plane but not the part that included takeoffs and landings? Wasn't that under Clinton? You don't think NONE of this was planned out while Clinton was in office? Sorry Jean but this is now getting silly!

February 11, 2013 at 2:50 pm |
      • jean2009

Steveo....rarely am I silly.

It seems strange you skipped over the following:...but not really knowing the source.
        2002-U.S. Consulate Karachi-Pakistan attacked 10 killed
        2004-U.S. Embassy Ubezbekstan attacked 2 killed
        2004-U.S. Consulate Saudi Arabia stormed 8 killed
        2006-U.S. Embassy Syria attacked 1 killed
        2007-Grenade thrown at U.S. embassy in Athens
        2008-U.S. Embassy Serbia set on fire
        2008-U.S. Embassy Yemen bombed 10 killed.
        You have to admitt 9/11/01 happened on Bush's calendar watch.......so you give him the benefit of being new on the job? Or, he wasn't up to the job? Or, is it that he was hardheaded and didn't listen to the warnings? Hearings have proven he had warnings. Explain your reason for overlooking the above I've listed? Where is your lacking critical eye? You haven't heard me complain about Bush going into Afghanistan....Iraq yes....but it was not Iraq that attacked us on 9/11. it was the lie of WMD. You better believe I complained about Iraq.

But the fact is: Bush could have avoided both wars, had he though to take out bin Laden using covert methods,(which I might add is the method used) and it would have saved American lives, tax-payer's money, and the vast hatred of a large portion of the middle-east, by avoiding a full out ground war on two fronts.
        Never mind the reason he gave was finding bin Laden and serving his head on a platter, and taking out al quaida and finding non-existent WMD.... then he gave up on finding bin Laden...didn't find WMD....so both wars were.... What? A pointless folly, or engineered for the benefit of the military industrial complex?

Take your pick!

February 11, 2013 at 5:03 pm |
      • Caramon

Jean...
        1993 World trade Center Bombing
        1995 bombing in Saudi Arabia
        1996 Al-Khobar towers
        1998 US embassies in Africa
        2000 USS Cole

Perhaps if Clinton pursued Bin Laden then 911 would not have happened.

February 11, 2013 at 5:47 pm |
      • steveo

Jean, I did not say YOUR are silly. I am talking about your "anti anything GOP" rants. I really don't need to say much here because Caramon provided the dates you decided not to include!

You: Explain your reason for overlooking the above I've listed? Where is your lacking critical eye

Me: Ladys first!

BTW I will add in something that caramon did not ( I said this before)
        BENGHAZI
        TURKEY (just recently)

Looks like somebody tore quite a few pages out of your history book. Yet somehow you keep accusing me of rewriting history? In all your compliants, you say NOTHING about the Democrats!

February 12, 2013 at 8:54 am |
  11. jean2009

You of course know the Bush Administrations had 7 warnings before 9/11/2001 as a matter of fact when Condoleeza Rice was questioned about those warnings during the April, 2004 hearings she admitted the title of the document briefing for Aug 6, 2001 was – "Bin Laden Determined to Strike Inside The United States"

February 11, 2013 at 5:18 pm |
  12. jean2009

Caramon- all you are doing is repeating Steveo he jumped from the Benghazi back to the Clinton era...without touching on 9/11 or the rest of the Bush 8 years. I know we can track embassy attacks during the Clinton era...however you seem to miss the point they have happened on a regular basis dating further back through several prior administrations. The best thing is don't skip a whole two terms, and jump back to the previous president of the opposing party. Even the dimmest witted person can see through that and will call you on it.

How about the Reagan Administration- 1983-Lebanon the whole embassy was destroyed by a car bomb, and 64 were killed, there was a second car bomb attack on the same embassy 17 months later 9/1984.
    1984- Kuwait 6 killed
    1986 – Jakarta
    1987-Rome
    1988- Honduras – U.S. Embassy attacked by 1000 demonstrators.

But, if you want to look at the list of attacks on U.S.embassies and consulates around the world you can find the list goes all the way back to bombings of both the Uruguay and Argentina embassies in 1926, and the embassy in China in 1927. Since 1926 there have been 32 attacks on American embassies and consulates with the longest gap of time between attacks being the period between 1927 and 1964.

Steveo – I didn't miss the history book, I just won't eliminate 8 years and skip a two term president.
    Yes Bush knew bin-Laden was determined to strike inside the United States.

February 12, 2013 at 10:52 am |
    • steveo

Jean:

You:The best thing is don't skip a whole two terms, and jump back to the previous president of the opposing party. Even the dimmest witted person can see through that and will call you on it.

Me: You just did! You just went fron Bush to Reagan and STILL said nothing about Clinton (Caramon and I brought up Clinton and NOT you). You can't even follow your own advice!

You: I didn't miss the history book, I just won't eliminate 8 years and skip a two term president.

Me; Again, where is your criticism of Clinton? Didn't he serve two terms?

You: Yes Bush knew bin-Laden was determined to strike inside the United States.

Me: Maybe Bush should have shut down everyone airport in the country because he KNEW Bin Laden was going use commercial jets, right? If that happened you would have been the first to holler!

Maybe if Clinton did not jack up the budgets of the intelligence community Bush might have had more concise info. Never mind the Congress was run by the GOP. By your standards, it all falls upon the president!

Take your own advice, Jean. But since you hate everything GOP, I don't see that happening anytime soon!

February 12, 2013 at 11:29 am |