Obama to bust ancient myth
December 8th, 2010

Obama to bust ancient myth

WASHINGTON (CNN)–President Obama has thrown his hat into the myth busting ring, calling on Discovery Channel’s Adam Savage and Jamie Hyneman to dig deep into the legend of Archimedes Solar Ray.

In a promo filmed back in October, the president claimed that he and his daughters are big fans of the show that seeks to prove or disprove assorted phenomena. He adds that this particular myth ‘hasn’t been thoroughly tested.’
Savage and Hyneman joined the president in the East Room during the same time period for the White House Science Fair, who said “I can announce today that I taped a special guest appearance for their show. Although I didn’t get to blow anything up. I was a little frustrated by that.”

Archimedes was a Greek mathematician and inventor. Modern day experiments have tested the claim that Archimedes was able to set fire to ships using only mirror panels and the sun.

The show will air on Wednesday at 9PM ET on the Discovery channel.

Topics: President Obama

1. J. Strnad

Sounds like the basis of a great episode! I'd love to see what kind of heat ray Jamie and Adam come up with!

December 8, 2010 at 7:13 pm |
  2. Junkfee

I wish he'd quit screwing around on TV and get to work. Hollywood can wait till 2012. He'll have plenty of time on his hands then.

December 9, 2010 at 2:22 am |
    • J. Richter

It's about making science fashionable from the highest office. This is good for our economy and future. He promised same during the campaign.

December 9, 2010 at 3:46 pm |
  3. Liberal4Obama

Nice. I'm watching.

December 9, 2010 at 8:28 am |
  4. SP

Is no one else confused by the fact that they already did this episode in 2006? I really can't figure out what is happening with this. All the white house staff couldn't come up with a better myth to test than one that was done already with MIT students?

December 9, 2010 at 9:00 am |
    • J. Richter

I think the show gets to decide what myth they bust not the White House. And the whole point is to make science more fashionable to kids straight from the highest office in the land.

December 9, 2010 at 3:47 pm |
  5. Joe

It might have worked had they not had a bunch of kids try. No offense to kids, but precision aiming is more of an adult task. Unless we're talking about hitting the toilet in your 60's and 70's.

December 9, 2010 at 11:32 am |
  6. Ron Albert

This solar ray used in the defense of Syracuse comes to us through historical accounts, not "myths" as your story implies.

December 10, 2010 at 12:36 am |
  7. alex

This is absolutely a disgrace to what the president stands for. Hey Obama your not a T.V. star get out from behind the camera and go CHANGE the economy. U.S. needs a actual president canidatein 2012.

December 10, 2010 at 10:15 am |
  8. George

I would have thought that the best myth to explore would be the idea that President Obama is actually a Democratic given his capitulation to the GOP on extending the Bush tax cuts for the uber wealthy.

December 10, 2010 at 10:51 am |
  9. Mike in WA

I am surprised on how Obama went from being so great and wonderful with the passage of the health insurance reform bill to so hated by the Democratic party.

December 10, 2010 at 2:22 pm |
  10. guest

This is great, he is finally reaching out to the public. Now let him bust the myth about his birth certificate. Or is it not a myth?

December 10, 2010 at 7:26 pm |
  11. HomeSkillet

Demographics are neat. Whenever I read an obviously conservative post, my brain immediately assigns a thick, Southern dialect to it. Whenever the spelling and grammar are particularly poor, I can narrow down the location of the poster to either Texas, Alabama or Florida. If the post is effusive in its hatred/anger, rather than logic or reasoned debate, I know the poster likely never completed high school. In general, I know that these are the particular individuals who walk around with a metaphoric ring in their nose so that Fox News, Rush Limbaugh, Glenn Beck, Sean Hannity, Bill O'Reilly, Sarah Palin and the rest of the vomit on Fox News can lead them around and brainwash them into a life of fear and castigation. I do pity them and their little brainwashed minds. Too bad we all have to suffer the consequences of their idiocy.

December 11, 2010 at 11:45 am |
    • pitboss

and your post is not effusive in it's own hate and anger sir?

December 13, 2010 at 10:16 am |
      • HomeSkillet

Oh,no! Pitboss, let me be perfectly clear, and make no mistake about it – I absolutely HATE the myopic view of right wing conservative extremists, i.e. Rush Limbaugh, et al. Right wing conservative extremists are our own domestic terrorists. To advance their own agendas, usually in order to put money in their own pockets, they use the terroristic tactics of deceitfully controlling the minds of the people who choose to blindly follow them, spewing flat-out lies about the opposition at whatever cost to the American people and knowingly and consciously targeting viewers who are easy prey. The right wing conservative extremists have no interest in a better America, even though that's all that you'll hear coming out of their mouths. Their one and only single interest in making millions of dollars off of fear, hatred and lies. Unfortunately, many of the people I called out in my original post (the Texans, Floridians an Alabamans) are only too willing to fall into this easy trap that is set for them. They are blindly misinformed and adopt the agenda of the right wing conservative extremist gods that they choose to worship. It tears away at the fabric of our country, and contributes to the demise of our nation. Freedom of Speech at what cost ... what the right wing conservative extremist hate groups do by hiding behind the blanketed shield of Freedom of Speech is not what our Founding Fathers had in mind, yet they contort it to their own vile extremes to drive people into delusion while laughing all the way to the bank. It's sickening. FoxNews, Rush Limbaugh and the rest of their ilk are shameful human beings who are tearing apart our country, and it's such a shame that so many people are duped by them. Shame, shame, shame.

December 29, 2010 at 10:30 am |
    • kurt

Talk about brain washed! People who lump others into groups to suit their opinions of them are losers! Obama might have done this in the interest of the event, a science fair, and I don't fault him for that, however I do agree he needs to get to work and do what he promised to do. I did not vote for him, I didn't trust him and I feel I was right in my thinking. unfortunately we didn't have another choice of the candidates whom came to the general election; my opinion is we need to do away with the party system. That or at least when a person becomes president they are all of American president and cannot work for the party while in office! especially campaigning for other peoples elections while in office!

December 29, 2010 at 1:08 am |
      • HomeSkillet

Kurt – before you're going to have anyone take you, or your opinions, seriously you need to address the errors in grammar, spelling and syntax that permeate your message. I think I understand what you're trying to say – that I'm a loser – and, that's fine. But, I really believe that your post would be better served if you were able to get your point across without sounding like a 5th grade boy who is failing his vocabulary lessons. I don't blame you, I blame the public school system in which you were schooled and that clearly failed you miserably. That's what you get when you live in the Deep South, though. Good luck, and I love you.

December 29, 2010 at 10:18 am |
  12. sasha lee

yeh i think they already did that episode already. Im not mad at obama, i cant imagine what its like to be president, the reality ids that no one can do it better. The rep now are providing tax cuts to the wealthy...its all politics. The democratic paty has always been the party fighting for those whose rights were ignored. everything cant be as easy as people are saying two years to make everything perfect? c'mon, that is unreasonable

December 11, 2010 at 2:31 pm |
  13. s1owens

Nice. Guess he has nothing else to do.

December 11, 2010 at 5:37 pm |
  14. brenda_k@;yahoo.com

Mr. President, take your butt back to work. I did not vote for you so that you could go on The View and Myth Busters. No wonder you have sucked as a president; you'd rather be a television star. How you must envy Sarah Palin! Get back to work on what we elected you to do!!!

December 11, 2010 at 6:19 pm |
  15. nyclposter

Want to know the truth about socialized medicine?? Go to you toobe and search for a speech Reagan made back in 1961 about it. An absolute eye opener.

December 12, 2010 at 12:26 pm |
  16. karel machado

instead of doing that, why not clarify for everyone those myths surrounding the health care bill, the bailout, stimulus and many others that our fellows GOP try to use some many times in the past to scare and manipulated their misinform amaericans.

December 12, 2010 at 7:53 pm |
  17. pitboss

RE: Pic accompanying story – If they are in the White House (or inside period) couldn't the gentleman remove his hat? Where are we going in this country when we cannot even observe basic decorum, in the presence of the leader of our country no less.

December 13, 2010 at 10:12 am |
  18. palitroque

Now what ???, What is next ???
    We can surrender our armament and defend our country with SOLAR ENERGY and General Al Gore !!!
    There is only one myth, that this fellow is a freedom lover christian american born with a high IQ.

December 13, 2010 at 12:12 pm |