Bill Clinton takes over WH podium
December 10th, 2010

Bill Clinton takes over WH podium

WASHINGTON (CNN) – Bill Clinton made a surprise visit to the podium in the White House Briefing Room today.

The visit followed a meeting with President Obama in the Oval Office, where they discussed the tax cut agreement that Obama reached with Republicans earlier this week.

Before turning the podium over to his predecessor, President Obama labeled the meeting with Clinton 'terrific' and said he thought the 42nd president had some valuable insights, given that he had presided over 'good as an economy as we had ever seen in our liftimes.'

"I don't believe there is a better deal out there' Clinton told reporters who had quickly assembled in the Brady Briefing Room.

"We have got to pull together' Clinton said, 'because we cannot afford to have the kind of impass we had last time...we have to keep this thing going and accelerate it's pace.  I think this is the best available option.'

Before Clinton finished taking questions, President Obama bolted, explaining that he had been keeping the first lady waiting for 'over half an hour.'

Clinton retorted with "I don't want to make her mad!'

Click here to hear President Clinton.

Topics: President Clinton • Tax cuts • White House

1. mjwilstein

Here's a short video of Bill Clinton's remarks from the White House press briefing. Was very weird to see him back in such a presidential setting:

December 10, 2010 at 6:13 pm |
  2. Karen

What type of leader is this? He has to leave to attend a "PARTY"!?!?! Why not leave Our White House. We needed another Clinton in the White House, instead uninformed, uneducated 1st time voters came out to vote him in. By the way where are they now? bammawamma has made a mess of Our White House, a once beautiful place, which will need to be "fumigated" by the "Fumigator" prior to the new resident in January 2013. He has turned it in a "crack house"! There are so many lies, being told their, so many secret deals being made, just like in the hood. Clothes do not make the man. Go party-leave OUR country alone.

December 10, 2010 at 6:20 pm |
  3. dominick speziale

We have now entered the "Twilight Zone " of politics with 2 Dem Presidents proclaiming salvation can only be attained by following the Repub policies of President Bush-Huh?-For the past 3 years Obama has been bashing and blaming Bush for all the country's ills and now the only way out, to gain jobs, to move the economy , is to do exactly what Obama fought against–it is almost surreal to watch this unfold. Now that Obama has handed the reins to Bill Clinton (his most likely challenger in 2012)–whats next he calls in Bush to take back over –stepping down because the chair in the oval office is just too big for him. Hey don't laugh–what's the other choice he quits and Biden takes over or OMG next in line Pelosi--–one way or the other Obama has wasted his Presidency and lost all credibility at home and abroad–not something the country can live with for 2 more years!-What's next the Dems impeach their own Pres???

December 11, 2010 at 10:53 am |
  4. Anne

I thought it was just great. President Obama showed some class by turning the podium over to former President Clinton and leaving. I applaud President Obama.

December 11, 2010 at 6:16 pm |
  5. LIZ CARTER in GEORGIA

@Karen, if anything, it's SHAMEFUL that hateful people of this nation have pushed PRESIDENT OBAMA to the point of having to call in a former president to come back and try to explain the 'new deal'! OBAMA explained it as clear as he could, but it fell on DEATH EARS, just like everything else he's tried to do! When people make up in there minds, you are NOT their president, we're NOT going to listen or be subordinate to YOU, we will do any and everything to help you FAIL, THEY DON'T HAVE EARS TO HEAR HIM!

December 12, 2010 at 8:43 pm |
  6. LIZ CARTER in GEORGIA

@Karen; you're just that type person I just described or WORSE! You hate the MAN, not his AGENDA or his politics! You want him and his family out of the whitehouse, period! AND IT IS BECAUSE HE'S BLACK! YOU'RE A RACIST BIGOT, PERIOD! YOU SAY OBAMA HAS TURNED THE ONCE BEAUTIFUL PLACE INTO A 'CRACKHOUSE'?? HOW NASTY OF YOU! DID WE CLAIM BUSH TURNED IT INTO A BOOTLEG LIQUOR HOUSE? NO! WE NEVER WOULD HAVE SAID SUCH A THING, EVEN IF HE HAD! You say OBAMAS' uninformed and uneducated? HOW MUCH SCHOOL DID YOU HAVE?

December 12, 2010 at 9:03 pm |
  7. LIZ CARTER in GEORGIA

@Karen; you told him to leave 'OUR' country alone! Who is 'OUR'? Technically, if you're not NATIVE AMERICAN, you can exclude YOURSELF from 'OUR'! If you don't, then this is OBAMAS' country too, you buffoon; and he ran for president in it like all of the others! AND WON! As far the remark you made that he's uninformed, that's a LIE! That's why he has a cabinet and advisors, like every other president, whose jobs are to keep him informed! HE'S ONE OF THE MOST FORMALLY EDUCATED ONES WE'VE HAD IN A LONG TIME!

December 12, 2010 at 9:24 pm |
  8. LIZ CARTER in GEORGIA

@Karen; you say the whitehouse is going to need fumigating for the next resident in 2013, huh? WHY IS THAT? IS IT BECAUSE THIS FIRST FAMILY HAD TO MOVE IN ON TOP OF ALL THE SHIT; THE LIES, THE DECEPTION, AND THE GREED THAT THE PREVIOUS FAMILY HAD CONJURED UP AND LEFT? It wasn't completely fumigated when BUSH left; that's why OBAMA's still having nightmares right now! HE'S HAVING TO FIGHT THE STINCH OF THOSE LIES, TRICKS AND DEMON SPIRITS LEFT BY THE PREVIOUS RESIDENT! OMG! Hard to fumigate once you're in!

December 12, 2010 at 9:45 pm |
  9. LIZ CARTER in GEORGIA

I guess I should be happy that Bill Clinton has had to go explain and encourage those mostly white racists to try to see past their noses the importance of the 'new start' or 'new deal thing'! And part of me IS, BUT another part of me rejects and detests the very idea of it! I'VE SEEN this happen all my life! BLACKS HAVE ALWAYS HAD GET A WHITES TO BACK, SIGN OFF, VOUCH OR STAND FOR US ON EVERYTHING, BEFORE IT'S ACCEPTED AS RIGHT AND GOOD! OBAMA had to go get the WHITE ex-prez to VOUCH for this proposal!

December 13, 2010 at 6:37 am |
    • TOTAL FACTS

OH, It's just us whites who are racists is it. Good gosh LIZ grow the hades up. You people are far more racist than us. It's alright to hate us. Although God will frown on either etnic group that hates the other. Why your on the soap box about is the exact reason that the races will never come together. Just stop and think has Obama done anything to be praised. To heck with his being black. Don't even consider that. Don't be one of those blind people who you say are against him because he is black. That is so far off. I personally think Obama is a very intelligent man. But he is trying too much at the wrong time to make all the changes he wishes to make. First place America can not afford this. Take the military whether they should be in war or not doesn't enter into it but their pay should not be reduced. The gall of the man to do this when his wife has to have 23 aides. Have you asked yourself why? Especially when no wife before her had more than three. Hers cost us the taxpayers $3,500,000 in annual salaries. Good job if you can get it. What I don't understand is that African Americans need to stop, look, and listen. You along with many people are going to be hurt here. He has done nothing yet to help you. Don't toot his horn just because of color. I promise that I will do the same and have thought I was doing so. I was asked by some African Ameriicans way before Obama came into the picture if I thought a black man could ever be President. I replied most certainly I have the feel of the whites out here and they have nothing against a black being president. obviously. Obama would never have been President if a lot of whites didn't vote for him. There is not enough blacks or brown people in this country to carry it forward. Obama just needs to lighten up and quite spending. He is trying way too hard. At the debt we are in right now everyone is going to have to make sacrifices. Obama is no more to blame than Jr. Clinton however balanced a budet and left three trillion dollars in escrow that jr quickly gave away. Not very genuis there was he. Everyone just needs to shut the hades up and ask what I can do to help this country get out of debt. I will be hurt terribly for the reduction in pay but if this applies to the white house, congress and the rest then I am willing to do it. If not, Palin is so right we neeed to clean house up there and start over again. IF YOU RESEARCH YOU WILL SEE SHE IS RIGHT ABOUT THE DEATH PANELS.

December 13, 2010 at 4:18 pm |
  10. LIZ CARTER in GEORGiA

WASHINGTONS UNDERCOVER BIGOTS ON BOTH SIDES OF THE ISLE AND THE MEDIA: Well, we might sign on to it if CLINTON, THE WHITE MAN stands up here and tell us what a good idea it is, and it's the best thing going right now! WE REFUSE TO LET THAT N*****, OBAMA, THE BLACK MAN TELL US NOTHING; NOR MAKE SUGGESTIONS TO US WHITES, 'CAUSE WE'RE THE SMARTEST ANYWAY! WE ARE GONNA CONTINUE TO MAKE HIS LIFE MISERABLE WHILE HE'S UP HERE, UNTIL HE WON'T WANNA BE PRESIDENT OF NOTHING ELSE AGAIN IN LIFE WHE HE GET OUT OF HERE!

December 13, 2010 at 6:58 am |
    • TOTAL FACTS

Well LIZ CARTER why don't you ask yourself has he done anything profitable for America except to try and destroy it. Ask the military folks today. I am a retiree after 30 years of service and was informed by the great Obama that my pay was being reduced along with all the active duty soldiers. It is a fact. The notice of reduction will be in next moths pay. He will not give social security a raise and hasn't since 2007. His healthcare don't get me started here will double our debt in less than ten years. Medicare is reducting, medicaid is going out of existence. This will affect the blacks andf poor whitess more than anyone else. Why is it that you people can not see this and leave your hatred for the white man to someone who cares. I was a top sertgeant for over 15 years and no one called me racial. Only you folks are yelling IT. YES OBAMA IS A DUCK OUT OF WATER AND YOU BETTER HOPE LIKE HELL THAT CLINTON CAN SAVE HIS REAR. HE IS WAY IN OVER HIS HEAD. WHY SHOULD ANYONE LISTEN TO A MAN THAT STANDS ON A PLATFORM WHILE THE NATIONAL ANTHEM IS BEING PLAYED HOLDING HIS CROTCH. IF HE IS GOING TO ACT LIKE ONE HE MIGHT AS WELL BE ONE ALL THE WAY. OR ARE YOU AN UNPATRIOTIC FOOL ALSO. PALIN 2012.

December 13, 2010 at 3:55 pm |
  11. LIZ CARTER in GEORGIA

IT'S SOOOO OBVIOUS, I'M JUST SAYING! WHY DON'T SOMEBODY HAVE THE GUTS TO JUST TAKE A STAND AND JUST SAY IT LOUD?!? YOU ALL KNOW I'M SPEAKING THE TRUTH!

December 13, 2010 at 2:06 pm |
  12. TOTAL FACTS

Not a moment too soon. I PRAY THAT HE WILL STAY THERE UNTIL PALIN CAN TAKE OVER.

December 13, 2010 at 3:45 pm |
  13. LIZ CARTER in GEORGIA

@TOTAL FACTS; THANKYOU FOR YOUR SERVICE! And thanks for sharing, but I stand behind my comments, because after all of the back and forth, I KNOW THEM TO BE THE TRUTH, BOTTOMLINE! I'm no FOOL! I'm also a retired federal employee of 32 years! And yes, it's going to hurt me and my husband, who's a disabled (USMC) VIETNAM VETERAN, OK? So I can relate personally to what you say! YOU ALSO SAID IN THE SAME BREATH THAT WE WERE ALL GOING TO HAVE TO SACRIFICE DIDN'T YOU? OBAMA'S GOT TO START SOMEWHERE DOESN'T HE?

December 13, 2010 at 9:49 pm |
  14. LIZ CARTER in GEORGIA

@TOTAL FACTS; I meant to tell you that I was mainly focusing my original comments to blogger#2 and any other 'hit dogs', ok? Back to the observation you made to me about OBAMAS' not done anything for 'you people', well we intelligent, patient ones are looking forward to that being rectified, but we also UNDERSTAND why he hadn't been able to GO RIGHT INTO OFFICE AND INSIDE 22 MONTHS FOCUS ON US; the so called 'you people' you speak about! HE WOULDN'T HAVE EVER BEEN ABLE TO LIVE THAT DOWN HAD HE DONE THAT!

December 13, 2010 at 10:16 pm |
  15. LIZ CARTER in GEORGIA

@TOTAL FACTS; I'd like to say I find it so strange that all of a sudden the one who points out racism or identifies it's virtual, perpetual existance becomes THE RACIST! Many of you have deviously and perceptively flipped the script over onto the messenger, the identifier, the finger pointer. But it's not working; AFRICAN AMERICANS AND MANY SOUTHERN WHITES KNOW RACISM WHEN WE SEE OR HEAR IT BETTER THAN MOST! Whether we call it out or sit back and be quiet! SOME HOPE, IT WILL GO AWAY IF THEY KEEP DENYING IT!

December 13, 2010 at 10:36 pm |
  16. LIZ CARTER in GEORGIA

@TOTAL FACTS; Another thing, if you REALLY think I'd better be hoping like HELL Clinton saves OBAMAS' rear, you've just validated what I said in the first place! IT'S THE SAME OPTIONAL PROPOSAL, BUT IT WOULD HAVE TO TAKE THE WHITE MAN TO VALIDATE IT TO THE MASSES AND THE MEDIA! Another propagated perception, by design, to show that OBAMA can't pull his own wagon out on stage! THEY DON'T FOOL ME ONE BIT! NO, I'm not an 'UNPATRIOTIC FOOL', nor a RACIST; I'm just a REALIST, who calls it out like it is, PERIOD!

December 13, 2010 at 10:56 pm |
  17. LIZ CARTER in GEORGIA

I have already gone on MANY blogs thanking the sensible, intelligent white brothers and sisters who helped us elect BARACK OBAMA FOR CHANGE! I knew that we couldn't do it alone; I was well aware that there weren't enough blacks, reds, yellows and browns to put him in office! That's why I'm appreciative to my white counterparts; however, again by design, many of them and even some blacks are being shaken at the core, to question their choice for change before its' 'ripened' fruition! BAD PRESS and SABATOGE!

December 13, 2010 at 11:16 pm |
  18. LIZ CARTER in GEORGIA

There was a time, military was off limits when it came to public political opinions from them! WHAT HAPPENED? My husband even had letters checked going out and coming in during the VIETNAM WAR! THEY'D BETTER NOT SAY NOTHING! My father was a WW2 U S ARMY veteran of the PACIFIC THEATRE, McARTHUR; uncles, cousins and friends said the same thing! They'd better not breathe the wrong thing! They were only answerable to the 'commander in chief', no matter who was demonstrating, picketing or denouncing the wars!

December 13, 2010 at 11:37 pm |
  19. LIZ CARTER in GEORGIA

We couldn't write anything either to them about what was going on over here in the states; I MEAN, WE COULD WRITE IT BUT IT WOULDN'T GET TO YOUR SOLDIER! HE WOULDN'T GET THAT LETTER! Now days the press is over there in the war zones plastering the soldiers and marines faces all over the tv talking about the strategies, and giving their opinions as to what the president and his war room strategists ought to do! I BELIEVE THE WHOLE THING IS STAGED; THEY HAVE BEEN ORDERED WHAT TO SAY! ASK THE MILITARY FOLKS?

December 13, 2010 at 11:52 pm |