December 30th, 2010

Feeding the president

HONOLULU, Hawaii (CNN) - President Obama and the first lady dined at Alan Wong's in Honolulu Wednesday night, a restaurant they always visit when they return to the island where Obama grew up.  Ed Henry interviewed chef Alan Wong and he shared some advice for chefs who might be so lucky to serve the president.

This story was shot and edited by senior photojournalist Peter Morris and produced by White House producer Xuan Thai.

« Previous entry
  1. Jay in NC

While most Americans are worried if they will have a job, can afford their home and or digging out of the worst blizzard in decades the President and his First Date are dinning at one of Hawaii's most sought-after restaurants. Frommer's description: The menu's cutting-edge offerings sizzle with the Asian flavors of lemongrass, sweet-and-sour, garlic, and wasabi, deftly melded with the fresh seafood and produce of the islands. Sounds nice. I am tired of being served Obama brand beans and franks, yet again. Maybe million more jobs and one less date this year Mr. President.

December 31, 2010 at 10:59 am |
  2. beawinner

You can thank Bush, Reagan and yes, Clinton for the current economic problems we face. But really, to be honest, you ought to thank laziness and self-absorption accompanied by pervasive substance abuse in this country. I thank the honest, sober, hardworking Americans who are still trying and not sitting on their butts complaining because they are no longer being bowed down to. Pompous brats. Oh, btw, never heard of Alan Wong's but if it's that good, I'm going the first chance I get.

December 31, 2010 at 12:33 pm |
  3. Scrooge

DANG Jay! If you would be grudge a man a dinner with his wife, I would hate to try to keep up with you! I hope someone had the kindness to invite your family to dinner on Christmas Day since you were obviously at the office. To have been otherwise would be called hypocracy.

December 31, 2010 at 3:13 pm |
    • Jay in NC

You and I and our kids kids paid for that meal, and also for his dog to fly on a 747 with fighter plane escort. I guess the kennel is just not good enough.

January 1, 2011 at 3:04 pm |
      • TT

Stop Hating!!! God only knows if it was you what you would really do!!!!

January 19, 2011 at 11:49 pm |
  4. dianne in OH

I think its great the President and his family are enjoying their vacation why not we enjoy our friends and families people are blaming this President for past mistakes by another administration which is why things are like this .

January 1, 2011 at 8:52 am |
    • Jay in NC

It was this President that claimed he would solve the past problems. He said if he spent our children's money unemployment would be below 8%. At least you and I agree that he is not capable of solving the USA economic problems.

January 1, 2011 at 3:02 pm |
      • TT

What would you do differently that you are "sure" would work??? Stop hating and try figuring out a solution yourself!!!

January 19, 2011 at 11:51 pm |
  5. LIZ CARTER in GEORGIA

@Jay in NC; SOLVE?!? He said he was going to implement 'change' in many areas; especially in the problem area of AMERICAS' finances! That's exactly what he's doing! A fool could see that the old way wasn't working. He said he was going to try something new, in efforts to bring the nation back to it's feet; and he has and it IS working! You haters just don't want to have to give him credit! You'd rather keep screaming old lies, rhetoric and propaganda, hoping you can get more 'null and void' to believe it!

January 1, 2011 at 7:57 pm |
  6. LIZ CARTER in GEORGIA

You're nothing but an envious, begrudging, vendictive, hateful, person, Jay! But that's the mentality of many southerners, when it comes down to this president! That black man has no business going out on a date with his 'FIRST DATE'! It's FIRST LADY you demeaning, de-frocking conspirator! No other FIRST LADY was ever referred to as that! The smooth, sly way many of you use to perpetuate your undercover racist antics at this president, while cowarding under politics, does NOT go unnoticed by me, OK?

January 1, 2011 at 8:22 pm |
    • Jay in NC

What racist statement have I said? You are the one that is hung up on race. I am only holding him to the same standards as all other presidents. You are the one that needs to search your soul and ask, Why you think he is not as capable as others? As far as the First Date I think her actions speak for themselves. She is the Marie Antoinette of our time.

January 2, 2011 at 4:47 pm |
  7. LIZ CARTER in GEORGIA

Hey@Jay in NC; (in all caps) KIDS, KIDS HAVE BEEN PAYING FOR AMERICA FOR MANY YEARS! EXAMPLES: TAXES, MEDICARE AND SOCIAL SECURITY! I PAID INTO MEDICARE MY WHOLE LIFES' CAREER AND HAVE RETIRED AND STILL CAN'T USE IT YET, BUT IT'S BEING USED BY OTHERS UNTIL IT'S MY TIME! THAT'S IF I'M BLESSED TO LIVE LONG ENOUGH TO GET STARTED USING IT! SO YOU ALL NEED TO STOP THAT FEARMONGERING 'KIDS' BULL! PEOPLE OF THIS COUNTRY HAVE ALWAYS LIVED OFF THE BACKS OF ITS' WORKING CHILDREN! OH! DID BUSH PUT HIS DOG IN A KENNEL?

January 1, 2011 at 8:42 pm |
  8. LIZ CARTER in GEORGIA

@beawinner; I agree 1000% with you; I've never seen this much whinning and complaining behind a president of the UNITED STATES, ever in my life! You called it out just right! They are POMPOUS BRATS! From my reading and studying the blogs, I can tell some are informed and used to being catered to (the wealthy and well off); some are and have been as poor as church mice all along, LONG BEFORE OBAMA WAS ELECTED, but are out here complaining like they were used to a better lifestyle, and he defaulted on them!

January 2, 2011 at 5:34 pm |
  9. LIZ CARTER in GEORGIA

@Jay in NC; some of us black and white, braced ourselves, because we knew this man was going to catch more hell if he won, than any other past president has ever before! We watchdogs prepared for this racist firestorm against him, from the moment he opened his mouth and announced he was going to run for president, ok? We saw racism tossed at him, even during the campaign! If you want to claim you didn't, you are either color blind or in denial! Reading your blogs, I can tell you're not color blind!

January 2, 2011 at 6:49 pm |
  10. LIZ CARTER in GEORGIA

@Jay in NC; you must be in denial if you think that I believe that your comments are meant to hold BARACK OBAMA to the same standards as you had ALL of the other presidents. The tone of your comments, as well as in many other complaining bloggers, just wouldn't be lodged, nor have they been lodged against any other president, by anyone, to such a malicious degree! There may NOT be a direct statement, that I can point to, because the whole thing reaks of hidden racism! HIDDEN UNDER POLITICS AND PURE DISDAIN!

January 2, 2011 at 7:02 pm |
  11. LIZ CARTER in GEORGIA

@Jay in NC; your suggestion that I need to search my soul and ask myself why I think OBAMA isn't as capable as others, well I don't need to! I KNOW he's very capable as a leader! His heritage, his lifes' history, his resume, his leadership expertise and abilities, (lawyer, teacher and community leader) his educational matriculations, his honesty, fidelity, even to his family, his statesmanship, great diplomacy, and more! I can't accept the blatant denial, even of his successes, by you people! IT'S SABATOGE!

January 2, 2011 at 7:44 pm |
    • Jay in NC

"his lifes' history" is that when he was selling cocaine in Hawaii? If fell sorry for the lives he ruined for the greed of money. "His honesty" still waiting on Gitmo to close. "fidelity, even to his family" Husein dumped anyone that got in his way, Rev. White, his grandmothers, children, and wife. You do realize that Husein said himself that, moving into the White House, he had not spent any significant time with his family. "statesmanship", maybe you think bowing to Saudi Prince or the bungled Koren trade deal is statesmen like. The beat goes on.....

January 3, 2011 at 11:44 am |
    • Jay in NC

I mistyped but want to make sure you hear me.... That he said that he had not spent any significant time with his family until he had moved into the White House. . So much for being a family man.

January 3, 2011 at 12:06 pm |
  12. LIZ CARTER in GEORGIA

@Jay in NC; If you're holding him to the same standards as you CLAIM ydo other presidents, you need to leave him alone then! He's already surpassed the standards left by the last president, at the least! You all let that one even get away with murder! HOLDING HIM TO THE SAME STANDARDS AS OTHER PRESIDENTS! RIGHT! LOL! You must mean BILL CLINTON, JOHN KENNEDY, I'd venture to even add RONALD REAGAN, FRANKLIN ROOSEVELT, and lastly ABRAHAM LINCOLN! He's already in that beautiful group, and in 2 years?!? MY GOD!

January 2, 2011 at 8:12 pm |
  13. Jay in NC

Your standards are different than most, LIZ. The facts about Barry are there, and now the world is waking up to see the truth. Barry is a failure, think of this. During the past two years he has lost 1157 men and women in a pointless war. In 7 years of war bush had lost 1066. So I guess in some perverted way you are right, Barry has surpassed President Bush. I cringe at what will happen during the next 2 years of his leadership. Afghan women are not safer. The children have lost fathers and brothers. Yet Barry and his supporters like you fiddle away, spend and bomb to 'try and fix' the words problems.

January 3, 2011 at 12:01 pm |
  14. LIZ CARTER in GEORGIA

@Jay in NC; I don't know where you get your figures from; but BUSH lost us over 4000 of our military in those 7 years! He may be responsible for 1066, disabled and lamed ones. As far as your accusation that the PRESIDENT sold cocaine in HAWAII, that is nothing but slander! OBAMA said he dabbled in drugs as a young man, as he was trying to find himself; like so many of US did, if we choose to be honest! That man NEVER said he was a DEALER! He admitted to USING cocaine for a little time! BUSH was a drunk!

January 3, 2011 at 11:50 pm |
    • Jay in NC

Liz, the numbers are there, the deaths are there, no telling lies about it. Under Barry's command more solders have died in the Afghanistan war than under President Bush's command. Visit the .gov sites, visit any of the .org sites that keep track of the fallen. Even CNN has a site that list where and when. Get informed about your president. Open your eyes.

January 4, 2011 at 12:45 am |
  15. LIZ CARTER in GEORGIA

@Jay in NC; You sit up and blurt out lies against this president like it's THE TRUTH! All the man casually said was he gets to spend even more time with his family because, now they are all together, in the WHITEHOUSE! He couldn't take them to work with him up to the SENATE HOUSE so easy. He worked as a community leader and activist; he couldn't drag them with him everytime he had to go! He couldn't take them with him to work at COLUMBIA U where he was a law professor! NOW, HE'S ABLE TO KEEP THEM WITH HIM!

January 4, 2011 at 12:05 am |
    • Jay in NC

I did not say take them to work. I am happy to see that we do agree, he has not spent quality time with his family.

January 4, 2011 at 12:58 am |
  16. LIZ CARTER in GEORGIA

@Jay in NC; on the sly remark that you made about his statesmanship, and OBAMAS' bowing to the KING OF SAUDI ARABIA, he was only doing what was expected of him to do; that was about pomp and circumstance, as well as PROTOCOL! The media just wasn't up BUSHES' back, nor any other previous presidents' at their initial introductional meetings with the KING! We always just saw them, already sitting down in their two chairs with their legs crossed, and discussing the national issues of diplomatic negotiations!

January 4, 2011 at 12:23 am |
    • Jay in NC

Our President does not bow to anyone. It is not protocol. It is a shame that you so little of the presidency.

January 4, 2011 at 12:48 am |
  17. LIZ CARTER in GEORGIA

@Jay in NC; OBAMA offered the same courtesy and respect to the KING OF SAUDI ARABIA as they all have given to GREAT BRITTAINS', QUEEN ELIZABETH and any other monarch! Yes, that's good statemanship, which always helps with diplomatic relations! Ask your favorite president GEORGE W BUSH! He was caught by the media walking in the garden HOLDING HANDS with the DALI LAMA, like two little girls! We just didn't see what happened at their first meeting! Was that statesmanship? Apparently BUSH thought so! I DO TOO!

January 4, 2011 at 12:42 am |
    • Jay in NC

You think that our President should bow to the Queen of England? You truly do not understand the importance of the President. You have no understanding of world history or what the President's roll or who they represent. The American people do not bow down to any king, queen or other country.

January 4, 2011 at 12:56 am |
  18. LIZ CARTER in GEORGIA

@Jay in NC; Now, I want to make sure you hear me! As I continue to read your comments, and we go back and forth, I've been satisfied with my longtime belief that you are not sincere with your demeaning, ginned up frustrations with BARACK OBAMA. You just don't like him, period! And I do believe that it is mainly because he's black, and in the WHITEHOUSE! I don't care how you and the rest try to 'spin it', you all are the ones who deniably scream, even secretly; 'We want our country back'! I'M NOT FOOLED!

January 4, 2011 at 1:02 am |
    • Jay in NC

Liz, the definition of Bigot is one who is strongly partial to one's own group, religion, race, or politics and is intolerant of those who differ. You have said on this blog that you are a black person. You obviously defend this president on the basis of his color, as you have described a black man. You have purposefully ignored the fact that his mother was white. That Barry is half white. Your post show a strong hatred toward those that are different. There for it is safe to say that you are a bigot. I know it will pain you to hear this sharp criticism however, from your post it is clear that you have a strong partiality to your race. Try to defend Barry for his actions, not his race. I think you will then see his faults. Otherwise you are just spewing more hate into the world.

January 4, 2011 at 1:16 am |
  19. LIZ CARTER in GEORGIA

@Jay in NC; I have defended his actions, even the ones that hurt me financially! I know the man has to start somewhere. I'm defending his actions! Even of the slanted and biggoted 'HATE', you spew begrudging him of taking vacations, taking his wife, you say, 'FIRST DATE' to dinner, claiming he's sending AMERICANS the tab, begrudging him, the 'PRESIDENT' of using AIRFORCE ONE, the same one that every other PRESIDENT has used since it's installation, OH BOY! He took the dog with them, rather kennelling him!

January 4, 2011 at 8:05 am |
    • Jay in NC

Liz, Barry did not take the dog with him, it was The First Date. She flew to Hawaii three days early so the dog could go through customs. Hawaii does not allow dogs to just enter. This was at an extra expense of $6,000 per hour fly time. The airplane round trip cost us an extra $120,000. All for a dog! That is not hate, and it is not being a bigot to complain that The First Date does not care about our money. She should have traveled on Air Force 1.

January 4, 2011 at 8:30 am |
  20. LIZ CARTER in GEORGIA

Jay, who told you that she used 'our' money? I wasn't there nor were you. Just because the media told you how much it costed, doesn't mean 'we' paid for it! The OBAMAS' most likely had to pay anthing that related to their dog, customs and traveling, out of their own pockets! ESPECIALLY SINCE THEY CHOSE TO TAKE HIM TO A STATE THAT REQUIRED FULL INNOCULATION! Your saying the FIRST LADY doesn't care about 'our' money, is scandalous, doesn't hold water and is a total LIE! BTW,THE BUSH DOG FLEW ON AIRFORCE ONE!

January 4, 2011 at 9:05 am |
    • Jay in NC

I am glad that you agree that the First Date, Bo and Barry should pay for the extra flight. The Defense Department bills other agencies $6,330 per flight hour for use the C-40B Special Mission Aircraft. 20 hours round trip to fly and return the aircraft. That comes to $126,660. Would have saved a lot of money to take the whole family on AF1.

January 4, 2011 at 1:04 pm |
  21. LIZ CARTER in GEORGIA

Jay, as far as your definition of BIGOT, you claim that I'm one, well that's your opinion; but yes, I will always be intolerant of those who show or perpetuate intolerance to me and mine. I think that it's my human nature to defend what's mine! I'm intolerant to intolerancy on any righteous level of any issue! I DO NOT LIVE IN DENIAL NOR DO I ACCEPT INTOLERANCE TOWARDS MYSELF OR ANYONE ELSE, when I am aware of the truth of it! The hate you claim I'm spewing to the world is the truth. Truth hurts doesn't it?

January 4, 2011 at 9:26 am |
  22. LIZ CARTER in GEORGIA

Jay in NC; I haven't ignored the fact that his mother was white, and his grandparents were white! When did that come to be the topic of our conversations? The man is black. That's always been the norm! Black father, white mother= black child; White father, black mother=black child. Did you ever see the old movie, 'IMITATION OF LIFE'? Our ancestors were taught that by their slavemasters, but that movie really put the icing on the cake; that's when we really started accepting that as fact! It was alright!

January 4, 2011 at 9:50 am |
  23. LIZ CARTER in GEORGIA

Jay in NC; On the other hand his father was a pure black man from KENYA; technically OBAMA can claim to be more AFRICAN AMERICAN than I can! My father and mother were of mixed heritage, white and native AMERICAN! Both of my parents had a grandmother or grandfather, who were white! Then there was CHEROKEE in the mix on both sides, but what am I? BLACK! So don't start trying to change the rules now because our BARACK HUSSEIN OBAMA made it all the way up to become the PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED STATES!

January 4, 2011 at 10:06 am |
    • Jay in NC

Each of your post includes a reference to Barry being black. You really need to just drop the racism. It has blinded you. I fear if you are in charge of anyones job, or work for the government. You may have discriminated against someone because they were not your chosen color.

January 4, 2011 at 1:13 pm |
  24. LIZ CARTER in GEORGIA

Jay, no need to fear me or what you claim I may have done to any race of people; because I know through personal experience how discrimination and racism feels! I know how discrimination because of RACISM can hold one back from a fully successful life! For your information, I did work for the federal government for 32 years! That's exactly where I experienced it; was blocked from my full career potential because of it, and observed some of the worst of it! So don't tell me it's a non-issue, because it IS!

January 4, 2011 at 6:42 pm |
    • Jay in NC

I did not say " it's a non-issue" I said that you are a bigot. You harbor hate toward those that are different than your self. Now to find out that you were in the federal government for 32 years and have this altitude. The Fed gov. has been broken for a long time, now we know why, because of you, goofing off. Good luck with your hate Liz. The country is better off with out you. I hope someone reads your post, recognizes your writing style, and then rats you out for discrimination.

January 4, 2011 at 6:53 pm |
  25. LIZ CARTER in GEORGIA

Jay, I didn't choose my color; I do love my color though, because growing up through 'the struggle', we were encouraged by our elders to love ourselves; and that for the biggest portion of us, AFRICAN AMERICANS, living in AMERICA, life wasn't going to be a bed of roses, for us! And it wasn't, nor is it! We have had to fight, jump hoops, run rings around the norm, for whatever we've so BEGRUGINGLY been given or accomplished in this white society! But my CHRISTIAN faith wouldn't let me treat anyone that way!

January 4, 2011 at 7:08 pm |
  26. LIZ CARTER in GEORGIA

Jay; I'm NOT a racist! I'm 62 years old and was brought up to treat everyone the way I would like to be treated, by CHRISTIAN parents. They taught me that at times, the best thing to do was to turn the other cheek, when I'm wronged. They also taught me to WATCH as well as PRAY. However, they gave me wisdom and insight into the gravest disease of the AMERICAN society, RACISM! I've lived it! They admonished me to call it out and stand up against it, whenever I found it; and I WILL! I passionately HATE racism!

January 4, 2011 at 8:51 pm |
  27. LIZ CARTER in GEORGIA

Jay, I thought I'd let you know this too; I do have white relatives, friends and aquaintances, who do also see and identify that racist demon when he raises his ugly head, or when he tries to cover-up or thinks he's hidden under a SAFE birage of camouflage! They are a few of the BRAVE, honest people, who are not afraid nor ashamed to acknowledge RACISMS' existance! They're willing to acknowledge the presence of the disease, because they know that it is the first step to curing it! ARE THEY RACISTS TOO?

January 4, 2011 at 9:16 pm |
  28. LIZ CARTER in GEORGIA

Jay, I'm sure someone else is reading my comments and writing style. This is the internet, I'm sure they've been reading yours too! You're not the only one! You are just the only one who tried to shout me down and make me feel inept because of my sincere opinions on the blatant demeaning of president! You jumped out trying to discount my opinions, and I jumped back with more truth! I couldn't have stayed there 32 years goofing off! No matter what I fulfilled my job description and other duties! Rats me out?

January 4, 2011 at 9:49 pm |
    • Jay in NC

You said about the Fed Gov. "That's exactly where I experienced it [racism]; was blocked from my full career potential because of it, and observed some of the worst of it! " Yet you want us to believe that an organization that would treat you that way also had a professional work environment? No, it is clear you all were just goofing off. Barry and the Democrat congress have failed. They will now ask for the debt cap to be raised. They will cry that if it is not raised the gov. (you know the ones that discriminated you) should continue to be funded. Thankfully the level headed Republicans here now. We are in debt $49,000 per person. It is time to cut out the waist. Your old bosses and department sounds like a good place to cut.

January 5, 2011 at 6:27 am |
  29. Liz Carter in Georgia

Jay, I see you like to deceptively 'spin' my words to sway towards the perception that you want to thrash against my character; that's what most racists or bigots do. They flip the script! While I was responding to your claim of fear that I may be 'in charge of anyones job, or work for government', I eliminated that quip by letting you know that's exactly where I experienced it! What I also said was, 'because I know through personal experience how discrimination and racism feels', I knew it when I saw it!

January 5, 2011 at 9:12 am |
  30. Liz Carter in Georgia

Jay, are you shocked to find out that discrimination can and has happened in the government?! Are you also shocked that it could and has occured in professional work environments? BLINDED! Those environments are where discrimination most hides! They have more 'smokescreening and spinning ability', especially in the lower levels. I was a lower level subordinate; was not in charge of anybody but myself and my job! Discrimination, racism, bigotry, nepotism, favoritism, thrives in 'professional environments'!

January 5, 2011 at 9:50 am |
  31. Liz Carter in Georgia

Jay, do you realize that racial discrimination happens and has happened in private industry, while under the banner of a 'professional work environment'? Do you work? Have you honestly not witnessed it? Or do you wear blindfolds, and ear stoppers to work? Do you feel better about it's existance by constantly denying it and turning a deaf ear to it? It seems you'd rather 'kill the messenger', that way the message will die! I'm just one! There are many watchmen! You can't rid the world of all of us! We See!

January 5, 2011 at 10:38 am |
  32. Jay in NC

Liz, I think that when you said "was a lower level subordinate; was not in charge of anybody but myself" and earlier you told us that you worked for 32 years for the Fed. Gov. Most people advance and grow, but for 32 years you were stagnant, complacent with getting paid by the government. You represent all that is wrong with Fed. employees. I am shocked that you sat back while others were discriminated against, never correcting the problem. You became the problem. While you were hidden away, never trusted with any real authority, the rest of us grew up and took responsibility, we took charge and changed things for the better. You are blinded by your hate. Now you pine away defending Barry. What a sad ending. You have already demonstrated that you are will in to do the same thing for 32 years, well, I am not, so I am moving on to a new subject. Good luck defending Barry, Bo and The First Date.

January 5, 2011 at 10:53 am |
  33. Liz Carter in Georgia

Jay,this whole commentary started because of my opinions of the differences being placed on this president, as compared to the others. My analytical opinion of his having to endure continous beration, dismissal, disrespect and malicious biasness from his peers, co-workers, the media and people like you, may be in part, if not all, racially motivated. Oh there may be some misconceptions and disagreements of some of his agenda, but not all to this daily battering, hostile degree! Not racism? Then what is it?

January 5, 2011 at 11:10 am |
  34. Liz Carter in Georgia

Jay; no, I didn't sit back and LET others be discriminated against! I fought it throughout most omy career for myself and others! That's why I ended up being 'blackballed' so to speak, for being THE WHISTLEBLOWER! Many times, the grievance was to hot for management to touch. The last action I effected was to contact my WASHINGTON SENATORS on what was happening; requested a meeting to talk to one of them about the hidden racism, which even affected our pay-grade. Shocked, he immediately gave us an upgrade.

January 5, 2011 at 12:19 pm |
  35. Liz Carter in Georgia

Jay; so you say I was stagnant and complacent and that I represented 'all that is wrong with federal employees'. Well, I think that I represent what would happen to one who tries to initiate change of the 'staus quo'! PRESIDENT OBAMA, whether or not he wants to acknowledge it, is experiencing it right now! I made conscious decision, since I had time vested in that type job, and I needed to work, that I would not be insubordinate and get fired. They'd have won! I did my job well, stuck it out and stayed.

January 5, 2011 at 12:51 pm |
  36. Liz Carter in Georgia

Jay in NC; I was very much trusted with REAL authority, and have worked in sensitive areas, but it was many times for the menial pay unless I requested the temp-promote! They weren't going to run me down and throw the promotion on me! And if I didn't know my rights, that would just be my loss. This didn't just happen to me! This happened to many others non-whites also! I found out for sure that one can't BEAT the system, but so far, one can POINT OUT one of it's 'root causes' of some of it's many flaws!

January 5, 2011 at 1:20 pm |