President Obama speaks about AZ shooting
January 10th, 2011

President Obama speaks about AZ shooting

WASHINGTON (CNN) - President Obama spoke about the shootings in Tucson, Arizona again on Monday saying he was reflecting about what happened not only as the commander-in-chief but also as a father.

“Right now, the main thing we're doing is to offer our thoughts and prayers to those who have been impacted, making sure that we're joining together and pulling together as a country,” said Obama, “and, as President of the United States, but also as a father, obviously, I'm spending a lot of time just thinking about the families and reaching out to them.”

President Obama made the comments during a press availability with French President Nicolas Sarkozy in the Oval Office.  The president also praised the Arizona citizens who helped wrestle the alleged shooter, Jared Lee Loughner, to the ground.

“I think it is important for us to also focus, though, on the extraordinary courage that was shown during the course of these events,” President Obama said.  “A 20 year old college student who ran into the line of fire to rescue his boss; a wounded woman who helped secure the ammunition that might have caused even more damage; the citizens who wrestled down the gunman. Part of what part of what I think that speaks to is the best of America, even in the face of such mindless violence.”

Asked if he planned on going to Arizona soon, President Obama indicated that he would go but that nothing has been finalized.

“There is no doubt that we will establish some mechanism, memorial, during the course of the next several days, and when we have that we will announce it,” said President Obama.

“But I think it's going to be important, I think, for the country as a whole as well as the people of Arizona to feel as if we are speaking directly to our sense of loss, but also speaking to our hopes for the future and how out of this tragedy we can come together as a stronger nation.”

During the remarks, President Obama also mentioned the death of two French citizens who were taken hostage in Niger.  The two were killed during a rescue attempt over the weekend.

Topics: President Obama • The News • White House

1. Thomas Dillon

Here is Palins Email! : info@sarahpac.com (at least the only one she gives) Palin is a Destroyer, and Trouble Maker at the highest level! Palin and Glen Beck are SEVERE problems to the Safty and Welfare of this Nation, like Rush and his army of Idiots and Fools! These Traitors and Ultra Right Terrorists caused the Death of a CHILD, Judge and MANY OTHERS!!! Mr. President......STOP THEM! They are worse than our foreign enemies!!!

January 10, 2011 at 8:22 pm |
    • Getreal

I have an idea lets put you in charge of Obamas new position with in his administration. The department of thought control. If the disagree with your policies the just disappear in the middle of the night. You seem to be a self appointed purveyor right and good. You have all the answers and ONLY you have a right to express them. The position wont pay much and it will only be temporary until you disappear with some one who thinks you are dangerous.

January 13, 2011 at 5:29 pm |
    • Hang it up, Liz Carter in Georgia!!

Your comments continually prove that you REALLY enjoy the role of victim and martyr. Well, the good news is, Liz, no one can take that away from you.

January 14, 2011 at 11:48 am |
    • cathy

Sarah Palin Glen Beck Rush Limb. are three of the most stupid people in the U S.All they do is preach hate.I can't see how they sleep at night. Sarsh Palin need to go home and read some books on american history.She is one of the most uneducated public figure our time. The three of them do this country a diservice

January 15, 2011 at 8:36 pm |
  2. Why

Why did the guy try to kill her.

January 11, 2011 at 12:51 am |
  3. REG in AZ

Reality: We are currently seeing the aggressive, stubborn and arrogant defensive stand taken by Sarah Palin and Glenn Beck regarding their previous negative and distasteful statements and declaring that they shouldn’t be criticized or blamed for inciting anyone to negative behavior. The ridiculousness of their defensive position is obvious in recognizing they always clearly aim to excite and incite people with their statements; I don’t think anyone could rationally say that is not their actual intent. Their bazaar and exaggerated antics fully substantiate that about everything they do.

There really is a lot of effort that they continually go through to appeal to people’s emotions, to excite and to prompt people to emotionally take a strong stand that simply amounts to real attempts to manipulate. Palin and Beck are totally focused on doing this as Limbaugh also is and then Karl Rove was very likely the originator of it as a full fledged political tactic. People like John Boehner, Mitch McConnell, Jon Kyl and others all subscribe to the tactic. Yes, the Republicans are far more prone to be doing this then the Democrats and the point is that the manipulation of people’s emotions is really a highly prevalent and aggressive Republican tactic.

Without it ever being a valid excuse for anyone to commit criminal actions, it still is very unlikely that any of these political people have any reservations or conscience about inciting any improper or criminal behavior as they are constantly totally focused on their own goals and irresponsibly willing to do/say anything to achieve them. That isn’t an exaggeration, it is obvious and consistent with the sociopathic personalities of several of them. Without the public recognizing the self-serving absurdity of their statements, avoiding the intended emotional reaction, instead putting emphasis and value on honesty and just being disciplined to objectively and rationally discern the truth, people will continue to just be susceptible to the con and to being used and some to even over reacting.

January 11, 2011 at 2:57 pm |
  4. Liz Carter in Georgia

@Thomas Dillon, I agree with you 100%. The people you named, along with many others like Ann Coulter, Laura Ingraham, and Sean Hannity are home growned terrorists'! In another time they could have been charged with treason or pannicking the nation! The media plays a big part in the hate too! Most of it is OWNED by people and corporations, who have the same views that they have. This whole 'dark time' in AMERICA is coming from, or all about 'fearmongering', stemming from biggotry and racism, period!

January 11, 2011 at 6:17 pm |
  5. Jay in NC

Liz, you said "media plays a big part in the hate too! Most of it is OWNED by people and corporations, who have the same views that they have." Your statement is obviously meant to panic people in to thinking that the media is owned by bigots and racist. FOX, CBS, ABC, NBC, CNN are all publicly traded companies or are owned by publicly traded companies. These companies are in turn owned by individuals, millions of individuals. To state that the owners (share holders) are racist and bigots is an insult to these Americans. If you have a 401 or IRA as most Americans do, you probably own a slice of these companies. You are 'fear-mongering.' Why not take the time to learn the facts. Maybe then you will truthfully see the world. Bigotry is real, it hides in your own heart.

January 12, 2011 at 8:38 am |
  6. Jose

Jay in NC, ummmmm you do realize they have an infrastructure which they use to develop programing, including the decision to handle a certain news item in a certain way. Have you not seen the leeked emails where FOX clearly directed their media personalities to describe things like the public option as government takeover? They clearly have their marching orders being given to them by someone, and I seriously doubt that they poll the shareholders to determine the line up. People at the top KNOW they are in control. They can't sway too far away from the 'comfort zone' of their 'shareholders' and viewers, but they have A LOT of room for manipulation. All channels practice this. Corporate Media has control over our press, thus our awareness of 'reality'. This is not a conspiracy theory. This is just how corporatists roll. FOX News' primary goal is to implement the Lilbertarian goals, get rid of social security, medicare, unemployment benefits, anything that allows the government to levy fees on the corporations. When corporations become more powerful than our government, we are then living in a corporatist nation. Or as Mussolini would have noted, fascist.

January 12, 2011 at 6:21 pm |
    • Jay in NC

Jose, Sorry to take so long to answer you. You do bring up some very good points. My comment to Liz was with regard to her saying that the owners of the media were racist and bigoted. Liz and I have gone back and forth on the racist evil issue for some time. I was trying to express that I did not agree with her saying that a group of people (shareholders) were racist unless she had specific facts to back up the claim. Back to your issue. I think that the shareholders would respond in a negative way if they did not agree with the actions of the company. I understand your concerns with FOX News, they do tend to give a free ride to the Right. I am not making excuses however they are not alone in their partisanship. NPR is a good example of a company that leans Left. I think that some times on these blogs that we all take a position that contrast us to the other person. Most post are short and to the point so it appears to be the only way to define our differences. Otherwise we would just be saying yes and that would not be much of a conversation would it.

January 15, 2011 at 5:08 pm |
  7. Liz Carter in Georgia

Jay, I'm also AMERICAN; an AFRICAN AMERICAN; as was my mother and father, who fought for this country in WW-2. My grandparents were AMERICANS who worked hard and tried very hard to be accepted and respected in this AMERICAN society; and they made it, somehow! My great-grandparents were slave-turned AMERICANS, who did their best to find some dignity. So until I see results of it's total demise, I WILL NOT be twisted to your little 'pouting' side of DENIAL! It does exist! Oh no, I'm not hiding it in my heart!

January 12, 2011 at 7:04 pm |
  8. Liz Carter in Georgia

I truly do hope to live long enough to see and experience the full and completeness of rights and liberties, to all peace-loving, peace-keeping, law-abiding 'non-whites' living, working, fighting and oftentimes, dying for AMERICA! I don't know how we are going to do it without the acknowledgement of it's existance, dialogue, prayerful suggestive resolutions, and the TRUE making of amends. First thing is, AMERICA must sound the call to DENOUNCE it; and not continue to DENY it!

January 12, 2011 at 7:57 pm |
    • Jay in NC

Liz, most people now choose to be called simply American. I know that you are hung up in a the racist attitudes of the past however, you should be more considerate of others. Those that do not want to ware the label you thrust on them will be offended. Drop the racial labels and welcome to the 21st century.

January 14, 2011 at 9:16 am |
  9. Liz Carter in Georgia

If what you claim was true, I would be happy to hang it up! However, most of people who you claim simply want to be labeled AMERICAN are still being specified out, singled out, separated or differentiated by many, who still hold those subtle, hidden positions I talk about! Why even in news media research, there is differentiation; polls, voting blocks, commentaries, on schools, employment, crime, addiction, premature procreation, disease, even debt is studied, calculated and viewed through separate lenses!

January 14, 2011 at 3:51 pm |
  10. Liz Carter in Georgia

@Hang it up, Liz Carter in Georgia!!; I can assure you that what you surmize about me, my opinions, comments or my findings is not because 'I' enjoy playing the role of victim and martyr! I'm on the case of what I see, and very clearly, the perptual, systemic attempts, to smokescreen inefficiencies against this president! Thereby rendering him in 'victim' status, as a PRESIDENT, rather than giving him his 'just due'; and I know that IF the underlining truth, even politically prevails, he will be a MARTYR.

January 14, 2011 at 4:35 pm |
  11. John

I just wish I could see Obama and this administration through the rosy glasses that other see him. Obama is the worst finger pointing, bad mouthing, I am not accepting responsibility president I have ever seen. He is not a leader! The devide in the country is as bad as I have ever seen it? With closed door meetings, shady deals, sleazy politics to push his junk onto the American people. Eric Holder sues Arizona because the administration was not doing their job of boarder security?

Obama is a joke that is not funny! $3.5 + trillion dollars of debt in two years, and accummulated debt of $14 + trillion dollars, and administration against business worse than I have ever seen. Where will it end? Let's look at Illinios, where there was a massive tax increase in income taxes order to pay down debt. At the federal level, it is hundreds of time worse. The wonderful democratic leadership of Illinois decided that the people of Illinois will pay for the governments financial mismanagement.

CNN loves Obama-for what reason I don not understand, and Obama owes CNN greatly for helping get elected. This next time around, Obama will actually have a record he will have to defend (not like the first election). It will be difficult to blame Bush and to finger point and bad mount again, although he will try! The waste, over spending, ramming through of laws, financial irresponsibility, huge debt, and the lack of jobs will be on the American peoples minds.

Here a bit of advice, before ramming through a health care bill he did not even read, maybe financially fix the current problem programs, like social security, medicare and medicaid, ect?

January 15, 2011 at 11:12 pm |
  12. Rick McDaniel

yeah......like that is going to effect any change in the behavior of humans.

January 18, 2011 at 1:55 pm |