Marine One wheels down
March 4th, 2011

Marine One wheels down

Arriving home in a helicopter is never a bad way to roll...President Barack Obama returns to the White House on Marine One Friday evening after spending the day in Miami, Florida, where he visited a school and delivered remarks on education, and attended two fundraisers for the Democratic Senatorial Campaign Committee.

Topics: Marine One

« Previous entry
  1. Jay in NC

Barry spends more of our money to raise money for the Democratic Senatorial Campaign Committee. What about jobs creation, what about getting spending down. This is the most decisive president in history. He only cares about his political party and himself. If you truly are the high-tech president and concerned with carbon emissions then why not teleconference?

March 5, 2011 at 5:38 am |
  2. Liz Carter in Georgia

Hey, how is it that everytime THIS PRESIDENT goes out on presidential missions; presidential trips for real and decent citizenry causes even, you keep claiming he's spending 'our money'? 'Barry spends more of our money trying to raise money for the Democratic Senatorial Campaign Committee'. The man was at the HS encouraging the students and faculty to keep up the good work. (1) He climbed down out AIR FORCE ONE since you all have such a fit when he sets foot in there, and took MARINE ONE! Less fuel?!?

March 6, 2011 at 4:32 am |
  3. Liz Carter in Georgia

(2) Every other PRESIDENT I ever knew of took these same types of humanitarian-type missions! Wasn't BUSH sitting down there in a school, in FLORIDA, when they set off 911? (3) Every other PRESIDENT I ever knew of went out drumming up money for their parties! I know BUSH came to GEORGIA to do just that often, and CLINTON did too! (4) At least OBAMA got both things done on one trip. (5) He's not a ONE MAN show! His people are still working on jobs while he's gone! (6) You need to stop your divisiveness Jay!

March 6, 2011 at 5:00 am |
  4. Jay in NC

Marine One does not use less fuel. Helicopters are notorious for their inefficiency. (I doubt that he took the helicopter all the way to FL, more likely he took it to Air Force One.) But you are the one claiming he did.

March 6, 2011 at 8:30 am |
    • whoashep

President Obama flew on Air Force One from Miami to a military base in Maryland, and then he took Marine One from there to the White House. This is the customary mode of transportation for any president traveling between the White House and Joint Base Andrews. Occasionally the president will travel to the military base by motorcade when there's inclement weather or if the South Lawn is being used for an event.

March 7, 2011 at 4:13 pm |
  5. Liz Carter in Georgia

Jay, I didn't CLAIM that he went to Florida on AIR FORCE ONE; I took it from the article; the PRESIDENT himself said, 'a helicopter is never a bad way to roll', when he got back to the WHITEHOUSE! It seems you have full knowledge of everything! You major in minor things! Were you ever in the military? My husband was a MARINE helicopter-gunner in VIETNAM, I asked him was it cheaper for OBAMA to fly to FL in a helicopter rather than an airplane, he said 'Hell yeah'! Now what else? I did CLAIM other things!

March 6, 2011 at 10:44 am |
  6. Jay in NC

Washington DC to Miami FL 1485 km
    Marine One max distance 1200km
    Marine One max speed 300km
    Time to Miami 5 hours (10 round trip not including refueling)
    A commercial jet only takes 2 hours for the same trip.

Again, I doubt that Barry took the helicopter all the way to Miami. If he did then he spent over 10 hours travel on that day. Hardly a good use of his time and our money.

I do not begrudge him for talking to school kids, it is the political fund raiser that is in question. The DNC should pay for his travel cost.

Any fool can look up the cost of renting a helicopter versus a fixed wing airplane. The cost of a copter is much more for the same weight and distance.

March 6, 2011 at 11:36 am |
  7. Liz Carter in Georgia

Jay, No, I'm not a physicist, aviator, helicopter speed/clock timer analyst nor a weight per distance expert, but thinking normally and laymanly, I still believe it was cheaper for OBAMA to fly down on MARINE ONE than AIR FORCE ONE; and that's only because of people like you who keep complaining about every nickel that OBAMA spends of 'OUR' money, when he does like ALL OTHER PRESIDENTS have done, takes AIR FORCE ONE! People buy smaller engine cars because they're more efficient on gas than the bigger ones!

March 6, 2011 at 1:20 pm |
  8. Liz Carter in Georgia

Furthermore, I drove a ROADMASTER BUICK for years and it costed me an arm and a leg to fill up to drive back and forth to work, which was almost 50 per day! In a two week period I had to get gas at least 3.5 times. When I downsized to a PT CRUISER, I got gas no more than 2 times for the same distance! So from what I discern, the principle should be the same! It would cost more to fill up AIR FORCE ONE than it would MARINE ONE; and it would probably even use more fuel just to start it up! Just like big cars!

March 6, 2011 at 1:39 pm |
  9. Liz Carter in Georgia

Jay, since I'm NOT a fool, and certainly not a petty person, I don't think I even care to 'look up the cost of 'renting' a helicopter versus a fixed wing airplane'. I don't believe your analogy is proof that it costed more iether! So I'm satisfied with my own wisdom and layman-logical surmise of this situation. Some of us down south like to refer to it as 'mother wit'! Since I try not to major in minor things, other than trying to deal with you and your rhetoric, which is a job, I'm not that interested!

March 6, 2011 at 2:11 pm |
    • Jay in NC

Again you switched arguments, first you said " I asked him was it cheaper for OBAMA to fly to FL in a helicopter rather than an airplane" now you are saying rather than Air Force One. That is a big difference. In my answer I said " The cost of a copter is much more for the same weight and distance."

Weight and distance are the key here. Also you forgetting my first charge. He should have teleconferenced. That would have been even cheaper.

By the way the notes were for you husband who claims he knows about helicopter expense. I did not expect you, no not, Liz, to ever be interested in facts.

March 6, 2011 at 2:25 pm |
  10. Liz Carter in Georgia

Since you have such great concern bout who paid for the fundraiser portion of trip, look it up in the internet and see who paid for MR BUSH'S, and FORMER PRESIDENT CLINTONS' fundraiser trips to their constituents to GEORGIA and everywhere else they chose to go 'FUNDRAISE'! I know we'd see AIR FORCE ONE on the news, landing at LOCKHEED AIR FORCE BASE; big motorcade waiting to scoop'em up, take them to their 'meet and greet stops', on to their events! If the PARTIES paid for them, I guess they pay for OBAMA!

March 6, 2011 at 2:35 pm |
  11. Liz Carter in Georgia

I just know those concerns NEVER occured to us! We folks down south didn't even think to ask such assinine, controversial, and divisive questions about a traveling PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED STATES; and especially when he came to us! Even if we hadn't voted for him or disagreed with some of his policies! He was THE PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED STATES, and we felt like his visitation was an honor! That is my point to this whole line of question! WHAT HAPPENED? Why all the grievous concern now? As if I didn't know.

March 6, 2011 at 2:51 pm |
  12. Liz Carter in Georgia

Switched arguments? When I initially responded to your complaint, I noted to you, that at least PRES OBAMA used MARINE 1 rather than AIR FORCE ONE, as trying to say that was cheaper! You came back saying if he used the helicopter, it costed more because of the weight, time and distance stuff! Then, Yes! I did ask my husband was it cheaper for him to fly in the helicopter, than to fly in the airplane. You are the switcher and the twister! I thought AIR FORCE ONE was an airplane! My goodness!

March 6, 2011 at 9:03 pm |
  13. Liz Carter in Georgia

I didn't give the notes to my husband because, you didn't ask me to. He told me way back in the summer to stop worrying about your hate and animosities; to just let you be; to say whatever you will about the president, his wife, his decisions without any responses from me! He reminded me that laws don't change hearts! Now without telling him all about this stupid debate, I only asked him that simple question, he gave me a simple layman thinking answer! He did NOT CLAIM to be an expert on copter expense!

March 6, 2011 at 9:44 pm |
  14. Liz Carter in Georgia

So you may ought to stop mincing words and trying to spin a certain perception against him, because he's innocent and doesn't want to be worried with rhetorical, questionable, back and forth. The MARINES train for any and everything, but I told you he was a helicopter gunner in VIETNAM. I didn't tell you he was a pilot. He sat in the door and cleared areas of the enemy and collected the wounded. He's a disabled USMC VET, with PTSD and a host of other ailments, so I try not to unnerve him. I love him.

March 6, 2011 at 10:24 pm |
  15. Liz Carter in Georgia

Who are you to charge the PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED STATES? You don't have the authority to tell him to teleconference rather than go to the event! Did you charge MR & MRS BUSH to do the same? That was actually when you should've started complaining about waste and overspending! It started under his watch! Did you suggest that teleconference option to any other PRESIDENT? I think not! Double-standard, Jay! That's what I mean! What else can I blame it on but race? WHITE, ALRIGHT! BLACK, GET BACK! That's it!!

March 6, 2011 at 11:31 pm |
    • Jay in NC

No, you could not have talked to me last summer. I only started posting on CNN in December 2010. Go ahead and search cnn and you can see my posts started on December.

Yes I have always complained about government waste. Posted on other blogs about President Bush, President Clinton and Barry. Wrote letters about Fist President Bush, even President Reagan, and Carter. I have written to congressmen and congresswomen, my state, and other states. I have been very active about gov. waste.

Yes, I have suggested many times teleconferencing, advocating the gov. remote working program. The fist remote project I worked on was for the Atlanta Olympics.

I still stand by my copter comments. If you think that it is OK for Barry to spend over 10 hours traveling, then good for you. I think his trip was a waste of resources.

By the way check this c-span video out. You can clearly see the teleprompter Barry used when he talked to the students in Miami. Oh yeah, one last thing... the news reported that he took Air Force One, not the copter. Have a good day.

March 7, 2011 at 4:07 pm |
  16. Liz Carter in Georgia

Jay, I'm sorry if I had you mixed up with another. I know I've been debating and highly engaged with quite a few OBAMA-HATERS on this blog, and he told me to stop worrying about what you people say and even told me to stop watching FOX and CNN! My husband told me 'don't you mess around and have a heart attack, worrying about what those fools say about OBAMA'! We laughed a little bit, but I told him I was going to keep up as much as I could; somebody had to speak up for him. I'll check back, though! SORRY!

March 7, 2011 at 8:20 pm |
  17. Liz Carter in Georgia

In reference to the comments you made about your many letters to congressmen, and comments made on other blogs advocating remote government, teleconferencing even back during the CLINTON, REAGAN, and the first BUSH reigns in the WHITEHOUSE, I find that VERY hard to believe. You are not that guy! You remember when you told me that another blogger may not be telling the truth; and not to fall for what he was saying; and anybody can say anything on the blog to make themselves look good? Well Jay, I remembered!

March 7, 2011 at 8:37 pm |
    • Jay in NC

And that is why I usually do not get into personal clams, it is pointless. You attacked me so many times on these issues. Calling me a racist, bigot you name it. I really wish that you would just take the time and think about calling someone a bigot. Is everyone that hates Sara Palin a sexist? Does everyone that hates President Bush a racist? That is the only difference between him and Barry.

There are many legitimate reasons to not like this president. All of my reasons have nothing to do with his race. I have been very clear by posting the url to back up my claims.

People attacked Sarah Palin for not talking clearly, I posted links to videos of Barry mangling the English language. He claimed 57 states, yet they vilified her for a offhand comment about Russia. They say President Bush put us in debt, I gave links to White House stats showing that Barry has actually spent more money and that President Bush's spending was mandated by congress. They say the wars were illegal, I made post showing where the UN and USA congress, France, Germany, England all agreed with going to war. I ask if it was wrong for President Bush to not close gitmo why is It OK that Barry, after 2 years, has not closed it yet, and he ran on the idea of closing, and made a speech 2nd day in office saying that it would be closed in 1 year. I ask if it is wrong for President Bush to enforce the Patriot Act, why is it OK for Barry to renew and expand.

I am asked why are people so bad to Barry, I posted links to images of people calling for President Bush's death, and a movie made about his assassination. People continue to say no other president has been vilified as much as Barry, I ask what about Lincoln, Kennedy, Garfield and McKinley all were killed. I can not imagine any worse form of vilifying than that. Here are presidents that have been targeted or actually shot or stabbed; Jackson, Nixon, Ford (2 x) , Reagan, George H. W. Bush, Clinton. Again talk about being vilified.

George W. Bush has been shot at, live hand grenade thrown at him, and a van full of men try and gain access to the house he was staying at in FL. For eight years there was a band of people carrying signs around the White House. They claimed the most horrific things, kill him, hang him, cut him up, shoot him. It was outrages, did the Liberal media care, No. He was hung in effigy almost on a weekly basis. Where were you posting about that one Liz.

Barry has never been the target of an assassination attempt. Thank God. And I hope that he never is. The amount of scrutiny put on him is nothing compared to these other men.

March 7, 2011 at 9:18 pm |
  18. Liz Carter in Georgia

Oh, Jay, I was only apologizing for thinking you were one of the ones from back in the summer that I was told to stop worrying about. Since you say, you only started blogging on CNN, I guess we've only been going back and forth maybe 2.5 monyths? Feels way longer than that but I was accepting your claim with an apology is all! Every EVILTHING else that I've observered about your perpetual mission to slam, denigrate and villify BARACK OBAMA, his wife or anyone who supports him remains a BIG issue with me!

March 8, 2011 at 1:38 am |
  19. Liz Carter in Georgia

The long list of things that you noted of the things that AMERICANS did to past presidents is sad but true. That makes me continue to watch and be even more vocal and forthright about my concern for the treatment and ill-handling of this PRESIDENT! If you all can do your 'own kind' like that, OMG, this is a black, I meant 'Colored' one! WATCH OUT! What do you think the TEAPARTY started out doing with their racist attacts, marxist demonstrations and hate-ridden messages to OBAMA with Sarah Palin at the helm?

March 8, 2011 at 2:00 am |
  20. Liz Carter in Georgia

There have too, been threats against his life coming from many anti-government groups and pockets of racist bigots throughout US! He was literally dared a few times to come to GEORGIA, we heard it through the grapevine; and this was when he was campaigning, OK? The threat came from your 'Old Stone Mountain Group' of of the KKK, and their sympathizers so don't even think that I'll believe anytime soon that racism and bigotry aren't LIVE issues being LODGED against this president; camouflaged in his politics!

March 8, 2011 at 2:27 am |
  21. Liz Carter in Georgia

There may be issues that are controversial to SOME INTELLIGENT AMERICANS, who usually focus their attentions toward them on the blogs. They could care less about his vacations, who wasn't at his birthday, his familys' private life, his use of the teleprompter, his wifes' garden project, her dress, her body parts/shape, his ears, his dog, his superbowl party friends/food, Dr Seuss, if she loves him or not, his personal blunders, his authorized use of AIRFORCE ONE, or MARINE ONE! Intellects fly above CRAP!

March 8, 2011 at 2:59 am |
  22. Liz Carter in Georgia

You keep trying to make GWB a victim. He is no victim. That man didn't give a hoot about what AMERICANS were screaming about, and carrying signs out in front of the WHITEHOUSE, his mind was made up! Mothers of dead soldiers even staged a demonstration at his house in CRAWFORD, TX! He and Cheney 'mooned' AMERICANS about those wars and anything else we may have thought we didn't like for 8 years! THE COWBOYS and THE MAVERICK! Had that been BARACK OBAMA, he wouldn't have been shot at! He would have been SHOT!

March 8, 2011 at 3:15 am |
    • Jay in NC

And yet Barry has allowed more men and women to be killed in Afghanistan in 2 years than President Bush did in 7 years. Where are the Mothers of dead soldiers staging demonstrations now? The sons are no less dead. You and your fellow Liberals are hypocrites. You vilify President Bush and praise Barry for the exact same actions.

You claim that you respect the president, no matter who is in office, yet you do not feel any sadness that President Bush was shot at, and hand grenade thrown at him? What about just the fact he is a person?

O'Biden said that we will be in Afghanistan as long as they want us. (remember McCain's remark that we could be there 100 years).

Today Barry announced that he will not close gitmo. I am sure that the Liberals will be lining up to praise him for this decision, while in the other breath they vilify President Bush for being honest and telling you the truth.

I will be here Liz, to point out the hypocritical statements, Barry's and The First Date's blunders, their lies, and yes even his use of the teleprompter. I want all the school children to see him for what he is. A Fake. Head bobbing back and forth, back and forth, left and right, one screen then the other, left and right.

March 8, 2011 at 10:35 am |
  23. Liz Carter in Georgia

You can be here to point out what ever you like, that's fiine with me. I'm certainly going to be here to point out the discrepancies of then and now! As far as your question about where was the sadness when BUSH got shot at, why I haven't found one associate, family nor friend that even remembers hearing of it! Furthermore, the question remains, who shot at him and why? Who through a grenade at him and why? EVIDENTLY your 'biased media' didn't hang that out on the line. He was such a GLORIOUS' PRESIDENT!

March 8, 2011 at 3:23 pm |
  24. Liz Carter in Georgia

After one of our heated debates, I also remember one of your 'smart quips' saying 'Barry is president now'. So for me all focus of my focus will be on 'Barry', OK? Where are the mothers' of the dead soldiers staging demonstrations now'? They've probably given this whole 'war crime' over to GOD by now; while having sense enough to know the difference! They know their sons and daughters shouldn't have been forced to go over there in the first place! 'Barry' wouldn't have had that issue to deal with, period!

March 8, 2011 at 3:56 pm |
    • Jay in NC

So no matter what happens in Afghanistan you think it is President Bush's fault. Even if Barry orders 10x the troupes and 20x the money into Afghanistan, if more people die under his command , even if Barry said that he feels that Afghanistan is a just war. No matter what Barry may do wrong it is still President Bush's fault? So why did Barry get elected? Does he do anything, is he responsible for anything? From the way you describe him we could have put any one in place, all you have to do is blame President Bush. You all need to grow up and take responsibility for his actions and inactions.

March 9, 2011 at 4:03 pm |
  25. Liz Carter in Georgia

Jay, don't even go there! When I said I always respected the PRESIDENT of THE UNITED STATES, I meant it! I'm not one of his personal associates, so all I CAN do is respect 'the office', his position. Had BUSH got shot and killed, all I could've done was have sympathy for his family from a distance, like I did JOHN F KENNEDY! I wouldn't have had an invite to the funeral! BUSH sadly, would've been just another AMERICAN PRESIDENT, assassinated for his beliefs and his resolve! That seems to be the AMERICAN WAY!

March 8, 2011 at 4:21 pm |
  26. Liz Carter in Georgia

About VICE PRESIDENT BIDEN saying we may be there in AFGHANISTAN as long as they needed us, well didn't they also say OBAMA, BIDEN, and HILLARY CLINTON that we would draw down responsibly? And YES, you are DEAD RIGHT; even McCAIN let us know that! He certainly did say it may be 100 years, before we could bring everybody home! So why do you keep COUNTING DEAD BODIES, screaming at PRESIDENT OBAMA and accusing him of ALLOWING our people to die? Scream at BUSH, who set this disaster off in the first place!

March 8, 2011 at 5:00 pm |
  27. Liz Carter in Georgia

Jay, your biased attempts to denigrate and strip down the PRESIDENT; I will bet $100, won't fly with the children, nor young adults! Your commentary can only fire-up 'OLDHEADS', OK? Black, white, or others; who have experienced double-standardness, or who have implemented and perpetuated double-standardness on other groups! 'I want all of the school children to see him for what he is'?!? DIVISIVE! Children will only wonder about you and your blatant disrespect towards the PRESIDENT! Some children ARE smart!

March 8, 2011 at 5:23 pm |
  28. Liz Carter in Georgia

PRES OBAMA did say he wanted to shut down GITMO? Do you realize that all campaigning presidential candidates present to the people their positions, some strategies, ideas, hopes, dreams on how they intend to change or fix AMERICAS problematic issues? Or do you care? Did you know that once they're actually in the OVAL OFFICE, they become privy to the other part of the story? But you rather call OBAMA a liar, and hypocrite! Neither was BUSH actively trying to shut it down! Main reason CHENEY wasn't having it!

March 8, 2011 at 8:07 pm |
    • Jay in NC

CNN news Jan 22, 2009

Promising to return America to the "moral high ground" in the war on terrorism, President Obama issued three executive orders Thursday to demonstrate a clean break from the Bush administration, including one requiring that the Guantanamo Bay detention facility be closed within a year.

During a signing ceremony at the White House, Obama reaffirmed his inauguration pledge that the United States does not have "to continue with a false choice between our safety and our ideals."

The president said he was issuing the order to close the facility in order to "restore the standards of due process and the core constitutional values that have made this country great even in the midst of war, even in dealing with terrorism."
      ----

Two years and ticking....still not closed.

Barry is a hypocrite, he promised one thing and did something else. News to Liz, Cheney is not in office now. So what is Barry's excuse again? You blame President Bush because he did close it, but you forgive Barry because he can't? That just does not make any logical sense at all. I guess it is just more of that Liz/Barry/Liberal double standard stuff.

March 9, 2011 at 3:51 pm |
  29. Liz Carter in Georgia

My main problem with ANY of your blah-blah-blah about what OBAMA is doing, isn't doing, promised to do, didn't do, hadn't done this, hadn't done that, lied about this, lied about that, said this, said that, used this, should've used that, went here, should've gone there, should've stayed home, talked to this one, should've talked to that one, should've teleconferenced, teleprompters, AIRFORCE ONE, MARINE ONE, fool, traitor, hypocrite, is getting old! Where was all your scrutiny when BUSH was in office?

March 9, 2011 at 11:42 pm |
  30. Liz Carter in Georgia

Read my comment; I think I mentioned CHENEY in the past tense! President Bush? You keep pushing him out here as 'President'! That maybe why I can't let him go! Hard to forget when 'President' Bush continues to hit the blogs; Little 'Barry' seem's to be just the fallguy that's being systemically used by you, your conservative fans and 'President' Bush, to take all the blame and fault for EVERYTHING! News to Jay, BUSH is not in office now, either! He went out the same day CHENEY did! LOL!

March 10, 2011 at 12:03 am |
    • Jay in NC

OK, you say that we should not talk about President Bush yet you ask "Where was all your scrutiny when BUSH was in office?" Do you want an answer or not? I doubt that you are willing to let it go. I am sure if I bring anything up about Barry you will counter with "it is Bush's fault",

March 10, 2011 at 6:02 am |
  31. Liz Carter in Georgia

Most times, reactions usually follow actions. PRES OBAMA has been reacting to previous actions! For most presidents, inactions usually follows uncertainty, requiring more thought or research! Maybe a good thing! 'You all need to grow up and take responsibility for his actions and inactions'? Well, what a wonderful suggestion! However, first come, first serve; so as soon as you all grow up and take accountability for GWBs' actions, inactions, and what got us here, maybe we'll then be able to 'follow suit'!

March 10, 2011 at 6:31 am |
    • Jay in NC

I am sure most Republicans take full responsibility for GTMO being opened. Who will be responsible for closing it?

I recall Barry being very clear that he would close the place. Said something about returning American to her moral high ground. Even signed 3 executive orders, stated that the place would be closed with in one year.

March 10, 2011 at 11:48 am |
  32. Liz Carter in Georgia

I vaguely remember GWB claiming something to the effect of 'mission accomplished' in IRAQ, back in 2005 or 2006; Oh well, when it comes to some presidential expectations and plans, I guess endings/closings don't always happen in their projected time slots, now do they? How long did we stay over there after that announcement?

March 10, 2011 at 2:20 pm |
  33. Liz Carter in Georgia

Weak answer, Jay! I did not say 'we should not talk about President Bush'! I was talking to 'YOU'. I said you kept him out here as PRESIDENT BUSH, so if by chance I may have wanted to forget about his part in this mess, how could I and he was President and 'Barry' was just little 'Barry'. I never said you couldn't talk about GWB; all I wanted to know was where was all of your political, and personal poision spewing back then? Especially since you're on top of every iota of PRESIDENT OBAMA!

March 10, 2011 at 2:34 pm |
  34. liz ashmore

the nerve of him. how can the same man that is taking from the schools dare show up and "talk" to us. he has no right to still be in office. i know i wouldnt be able to show my face in a school after saying how im gonna take from them to pay of a debt i made for the country i was "suppose" to be "helping". but once again he has messed up. i kinda feel sorry for him...

March 10, 2011 at 2:44 pm |