Obama says military commissions for Guantanamo detainees will resume
March 7th, 2011
03:40 PM ET

Obama says military commissions for Guantanamo detainees will resume

By: CNN Wire Staff

(CNN) – President Barack Obama said Monday that the United States will resume using military commissions to prosecute alleged terrorists held at the Guantanamo Bay, Cuba, detention facility.

The announcement said the Obama administration remains committed to closing the controversial detention facility, but will rescind its previous suspension on bringing new charges before military commissions.

The commissions are military proceedings rather than trials in civilian courts.

Obama previously pledged to close the Guantanamo Bay facility within a year of taking office in January 2009. However, it remains open today due to legal complexities involving the status of some detainees and congressional opposition to holding trials for high-profile suspects in U.S. criminal courts.

Check out the complete story on CNN.com.


Topics: Guantanamo • The News

soundoff (No Responses)

Comments are closed.