March 13th, 2011

Crowley resigns as State Department spokesman

WASHINGTON (CNN) - P.J. Crowley abruptly resigned Sunday as State Department spokesman over controversial comments he made about the Bradley Manning case.

Sources close to the matter the resignation, first reported by CNN, came under pressure from the White House, where officials were furious about his suggestion that the Obama administration is mistreating Manning, the Army private who is being held in solitary confinement in Quantico, Virginia, under suspicion that he leaked highly classified State Department cables to the website Wikileaks.

Read the full story on the political ticker.

1. Marcus

I'm getting a little tired of the double standards. As usual the government is playing it fast and loose with the law. Whenever someone outs them for doing something they shouldn't have been doing in the first place, the lid goes on and the gloves come off. I think Washington has completely forgotten who they are supposed to serve. Now they crossed into the "We the government, served by the people....." realm. When our President won't prosocute a former President for blatently violating the Constitution, for starting a war costing hundreds of thousands of lives, based on outright lies, yet mistreats prisoners and manipulates the whole of Washington. Even firing dissenters, on a whim, it's time to re-evaluate whether Washington is still appropriate for this nation! It may be time to go back to a Democratic form of government.

March 13, 2011 at 2:44 pm |
    • Jay in NC

Please all knowing (sarcastic) share with us this blatant violation the Constitution of winch you talk about. Details, not just more Liberal hate for President Bush, but real facts, real laws not some dream land Liberal academic stuff.

March 14, 2011 at 4:12 pm |
  2. Liz Carter in Georgia

@Marcus; I agree 100% with your comment. I have been writing about that very same observation for a long time. I think this administration truly messed up when they didn't go in prosecuting the previous administration for 'war crimes'! They turned their heads as if it didn't even happen. We have taken down other leaders for doing the exact same thing! Had the case been the OBAMA administration going out and the BUSH administration coming in, prosecution would have been on the front burner! FIRST PRIORITY!

March 14, 2011 at 10:04 am |
    • Jay in NC

The reason Barry and his gang did not prosecute the previous administration for war crimes is because there were no war crimes committed. Liz, if you know something we don't please tell us. List the government official, the alleged crime and government statue that were broken . Stop talking in vague terms, you are making serious charges therefor should show proof. Otherwise you are just spewing more hate and false claims about our government.

March 14, 2011 at 4:01 pm |
  3. Liz Carter in Georgia

I believe had OBAMA done that, the rest of the haters and cackling dissenters would have kept their mouths shut then! The media would have been a whole different outlet; they wouldn't be out here selling all this poision against any and everything the man has tried to do to bring AMERICA back to it's more justifiable place in the world! All of those GOP/TEAPARTY houligans, racists and bigots would have been a little bit more respectful to the PRESIDENT and the OFFICE! We wouldn't have ever heard 'YOU LIE'!

March 14, 2011 at 10:14 am |
  4. Liz Carter in Georgia

Jay, I, just as you do, can spew just as much hate against what I and much of the world sees wrong with our government. C-SPAN even presented a 'mock' hearing on the processes and developments setting the stage for the IRAQ war! Some people aren't completely stupid, Jay; many of us felt all along that this whole 'Pandoras Box' was BUSH/CHENEY/RUMSFELD made, for contractural personal, financial gain for SOME! The first thing is, they went against the better judgement and advice of the UNITED NATIONS!

March 15, 2011 at 1:40 pm |
    • Jay in NC

Who, what, when, where, Liz? Who broke the law, what law was broken, when did it happen, where did it happen. Let get some facts, stop the spew.

March 15, 2011 at 1:52 pm |
  5. Liz Carter in Georgia

I'm not an attorney, nor do I profess to be; but I do that the whole thing about setting off the war in IRAQ was ill-prepared and we are still suffering from it! POWELL even affectively recinded the decision we made to go there! Bad intelligence; attorneys who read the rights wrong, giving BUSH the go ahead, (how much did they get paid?) One Supreme Court Justice came on CNN and said he couldn't in good conscious sign off on it; insubordination to the UN advice, whatever the reasons were, it was wrong!

March 15, 2011 at 6:36 pm |
  6. Liz Carter in Georgia

For me and many thinking AMERICANS, the obvious but blatant truth right now is, nobody is taking the responsibility or being held accountable for this 'bad decision'! It further shows me that there are some who are above the law! Yet, all hell breaks if OBAMA makes an oversight or anyone in the his administration makes a mistake or miscalculates one little thing, as they try to FIX the nation! He's scorned and rebuked if the sun doesn't shine! It's his fault! He is THE ONE who's accountable! THE ONLY ONE!!

March 15, 2011 at 6:54 pm |
  7. Liz Carter in Georgia

You look up the 'facts' Jay! Many of them have already been exposed! There have been interviews, documentaries, even HOLLYWOOD has made movies documenting the secretive failed policies that surrounded this war! These are what have 'nailed the coffin' for me and my opinion! I don't have to prove anything to you! All I have to do is use some wisdom, discernment and insight into what I percieve as the truth. You look it up, pull the 'excerpts', and then cover it up! That's what you do best!

March 15, 2011 at 7:37 pm |
    • Jay in NC

You continue to say "shows me that there are some who are above the law!" Who, Liz, what law, name the law name the person, name the action. I do not care if Hollywood thinks it was wrong, you know, they make movies about vampires and talking chipmunks, wheres the credibility.

If you want the former president, or any president including the current one, charged with war crimes, then I want facts. I want to know the law broken.

I think President Bush was wrong for opening GITMO and I also think Barry is wrong for not closing it. It is possible for two men to come to the same wrong conclusion for different reasons. It is in Barry's power to close the place, there is no excuse. He can not continue to ride on the mistakes made by President Bush. If it was wrong for President Bush then it is wrong for Barry.

I think it was President Bush's and Congresses fault for starting the wars. No doubt that if they knew what they know now the darn thing may not have been started. Whether you like it or not it is to President Bush's credit that he takes responsibility for his actions. He has always said he was the 'decider.' We all laughed but it was true. He stuck with his ideas and did not blame anyone else.

Now Barry is in charge. He is the commander-in-chief. The supreme commander of the military. All he has to do is say "Men / Women, let go home", the war would end. The Generals would figure out the logistics and the guys would be home by summer. Sadly he did not do that, he escalated the war. When he took office there were about 20,000 troops in Afghanistan, now there are over 150,000. Over 1000 lives lost, more than the 7 years during President Bush. At what point, what decision will Barry take responsibility for? How many years will he blame it on President Bush?

It is time to stop playing politics and tell this president to bring our men and women home.

March 15, 2011 at 8:34 pm |
  8. Liz Carter in Georgia

I think I answered your question Jay, and I've called names, places and events over and over again! You and I have debated MR BUSH repeatedly! You know that my main beef with MR DECIDER was the war. So what do you mean name the person, name the action, name the law? I've decently done that, it seems ever since you started in on my opinions! You just finally concurred with my feelings about BUSH! I don't agree with you on OBAMA, he has at least 2 more years to keep the rest of his promises! GITMO? Not yet!

March 15, 2011 at 11:19 pm |
  9. Liz Carter in Georgia

Example: I run over and kill a person crossing the street, drunk driving; are you saying that just because I've paid my fines, done my time, gone to my defensive driving classes and passed them, I'm no longer the blame for the death of the pedestrian? I THINK NOT! No matter who I get to drive my car, I hit someone with that car and I'm still guilty! He may stop being remembered as the blame, once he truly becomes Former President Bush and 'Barry', can actually join his elected title as President Obama! LOL!

March 16, 2011 at 3:06 am |
    • Jay in NC

I think your analogy is all wrong. This is more like a school principal that punishes the 4th grade students. When people in the community complain the principal claims that it is because the students have done wrong. Years after we find out that the principal was wrong. The school system replaces the principal with a new one that claimed to be of higher morals and would never have done such a horrific thing as the former. Also that he would put an end to the punishments. After two years we check back in only to find out that the new principal not only has continued the policy of punishing the 4th grade students but has expanded it to 5 other grades. Six times the original students are now being punished. When we ask why he says it is because of the former principal.

If you want to charge President Bush with war crimes then go ahead, however you will find that Hillary Clinton, John Karry and a the majority of congress is also guilty. Using your standards it would be easy to say that Barry is also guilty. He had the power to stop the wars and for no reason chose to continue, punishing, killing people.

March 16, 2011 at 5:36 am |
  10. Liz Carter in Georgia

How many PRESIDENTS 'punished' and killed people over the course of the unecessary VIETNAM WAR? That seems to be the way of AMERICA! Didn't this PRESIDENT say he would draw these wars down responsibly? That seemed to be the BIG question coming from his fellow campaigners! They all kept saying, we can't just pack up move out, and leave right away! The man put some of the military over in AFGHANISTAN where we should have been focused anyway, since we were supposedly looking for BIN LADEN!

March 17, 2011 at 11:30 am |