Obama....no beets about it.
March 16th, 2011

Obama....no beets about it.

Washington (CNN) – First Lady Michelle Obama joined two dozen local elementary schools kids on the South Lawn for the third spring planting of the White House garden.    Assistant White House Chef Sam Kass oversaw this year’s seedlings which included spinach, broccoli, turnips and swiss chard.

According to Kass the 1500 square foot garden has produced over 2000 pounds of food in the 3 years.  He noted most of the food is used in the White House but a full third of it goes to Miriam’s Kitchen, a local mission that provides food to the homeless.

Mrs. Obama uses the garden as a way to highlight her fight against childhood obesity.   She urged the kids to take what they learned today planting the garden and share the information with friends and family. “So we’re going to want you guys to pass this information on, especially go home and get your parents and grandparents and aunts and uncles to cook some vegetables, to make sure you guys are trying new things’ she said.

While talking to the school kids, Obama noted broccoli was a favorite of Sasha and Malia.  But when it comes to beets, “Uh-oh” she said. “The President doesn’t like beets.  But it’s okay.  We’re an equal opportunity garden.”

Topics: Michelle Obama • The Family • The Visuals

1. jenny

Mrs.Obama should become a "Farmer" because she has a lot of experience .

March 16, 2011 at 6:54 pm |
  2. Rod in Chicago

She has brought more intellect, moral stature, grace, sensitivity, etc. the the White House than ANY other first lady...and those of you with your negative comments are simply jealous or are predisposed to not liking her or anything GOOD she does. Its a shame that her color is too much for many to get beyond.

March 17, 2011 at 3:08 pm |
    • Jay in NC

You must have taken a bite of those wacky White House veggies.

March 18, 2011 at 5:29 am |
  3. L_Museum

Love the focus on kids and health and education! A great model for the next generation. I sincerely hope that other public representatives would join in. It would be great to see the senators and their wives growing health food with their neighborhood kids!

March 17, 2011 at 5:31 pm |
  4. chef e

wow what a hottie she even gets dirty anyone who hates her is a moron school kids get jail food corp fools get bailed out you go girl teach your kids to cook i did all six of them

March 18, 2011 at 1:22 pm |
  5. betty jackson

First Lady
    Send me the beets! I have developed a liking for them as well as asparagus and kiwi. The fresh fruit and vegetable program is teaching me as well as my students how to develop a better palate. Keep up the good work about eating healthy! Our children are listening!

March 19, 2011 at 6:34 pm |
  6. Laurel

I have to agree with the the President on the beets, but I'm all in for growing broccoli. I have a garden that just seems to get bigger year after year. My grandchildren help when they visit and they love getting to sample the different types of vegetables I grow. I used to start from seed, but now I buy ready-to-plant vegetable plants from Garden Harvest Supply. It saves me gas to order online and so far I've had really good luck; I've never had one of their plants fail to grow. I think that the more gardens the better! Many of the children today have never had the pleasure of digging in warm soil or the satisfaction received from growing something so good from something so small. Not to mention the physical activity and the new found willingness to taste of what they have grown. Way to go Michelle! http://www.gardenharvestsupply.com/ProductCart/pc/Buy-Vegetable-Plants-Online-c44.htm

March 22, 2011 at 5:02 pm |