First Family visits iconic Rio landmark
March 20th, 2011

First Family visits iconic Rio landmark

(CNN) – Following a day of soccer and samba in a favela, and with their time in Brazil running short, the First Family made a visit to the iconic ‘Christ the Redeemer’ statue in Rio de Janiero Sunday evening.

Originally scheduled for Sunday morning, the visit was moved back because of an expected heavy fog in the morning, as well as an added secure phone call for the President and his national security team to discuss the latest information regarding military operations underway in Libya.

Chit chatting, and holding hands along the way, the family walked up to the base of the statue for a few moments to take it in, and then ventured a few steps over to look at the vast valley of flickering lights and houses below that make up Rio. They were joined by Mrs. Obama's mother, Marian Robinson, and Valerie Jarrett, President Obama's senior advisor.

Located at the top of Corcovado Mountain, the statue, along with other famous landmarks such as the Taj Mahal, and the Great Wall of China, was named one of the new, seven wonders of the world in 2007.

The First Family is scheduled to travel to Santiago, Chile on Monday, and then on to San Salvador, El Salvador before returning to Washington on Wednesday evening.

Topics: Brazil • President Obama • The Family

1. Jay in NC

'Did you plug the hole yet, Daddy?

March 21, 2011 at 7:57 am |
    • MAC

Your coments are so juvenile – can you ever get the blood out of your eye and provided positive and/or constructive feedback???

March 22, 2011 at 10:07 am |
      • Jay in NC

Et tu, MAC?

I could spend my time typing long prose about how Barry has failed our country, our allies, our soldiers, and in some ways the world. I could give charts showing how his spending has cost jobs, and put us on a track to true long term economic doom. I could even comment about his ears. I chose the simple question that his daughter asked, 'Did you plug the hole yet, Daddy? I think that sums it up rather well. Barry on vacation while our country falls a part.

March 22, 2011 at 6:14 pm |
  2. XWngLady

I'm glad that the President visited a favela. Sometimes we complain about the conditions of our country, but we should be thankful for what we do have as some people in other countries live in conditions unthinkable to us. Hope to see Brazil grow even more and hopefully that growth will translate into better living conditions for its poor and underprivleged.

March 21, 2011 at 9:52 am |
  3. TENNISHOE28

Sure had it scheduled at the right time... huh ...spring break and all... and when he was needed in the state, he and his brood take off on vacation. Nice work Barry. Maybe you can get a nice hacienda down there and stay.

March 21, 2011 at 3:01 pm |
  4. Liz Carter in Georgia

Our country was failed by the participants of power, wealth and greed! And that's been going on for centuries! Long before BARACK OBAMA was born, much less since he became president! Our country fell apart long before he was elected PRESIDENT Jay! It looks like business as usual; you found yourselves a black man to lay the whole thing on! Hey! it's not going to fly, OK? I could sit down and spend my time writing a long prose of how it FELL apart; how it IS apart and how it will STAY apart! STOP THE PRESSES!

March 22, 2011 at 6:41 pm |
  5. marge

Jay in NC – Why do you have such a negative view of our country? Look at our history. We're better off today than we were 50 years ago in so many ways. (The biggest negative of the current era is the huge disparity between the ultra-rich and the rest of us.) What we need to work on is getting the greedy to stop lying to the needy so that we can continue to move forward.

March 23, 2011 at 1:35 am |
    • Jay in NC

Marge, Actually I do not have a negative view of our country. You would be hard pressed to find any post of mine that is negative USA. However I do have a very negative view of Barry. And please spare me the comment that I should respect the president and all that bull. He is not a god or king as some Liberals proclaim.

Lets explore your negative view that the ultra-rich get richer. The rich get richer because that is what they do. They make their money from investments not paid by the hour. Once you break the slave chains of an hourly pay you too can grow your families wealth. The rich do not get rich because they take, it is because they create. It is called capital. For example say a guy owns a chain of restaurants. He could just make a living off the income of the stores. However this would be limited by the revenue. A capitalist would sell shares in the company, this would allow the company to grow to more locations, hire more people, expand advertising. The company is now worth more, and the investors stock is worth more, his stock is worth more, he is worth more. No extra money taken from workers, nothing taken from the till, all capital growth. This is how the rich get richer. The wealth is created not taken.

I could turn the question around and ask why are you so negative on people prospering in our country? If you do not like a greedy company why not create a group, purchase a controlling interest and change the company for the better.

As far as us being better off than in the past 50 years, I agree. We are better and the poor of this country are better than they were 50 years as well. There are more social programs, community services, schools, healthcare, insurance that did not exist before. Entertainment is cheaper, phones, cars, roads, building construction is all better, The rich and poor enjoy a much higher standard of living.

March 23, 2011 at 10:33 am |
      • James

Jay in NC, I pray that you are both wealthy and well connected, otherwise you would be a fool to believe all the things write.

As an independent who believes in democracy and capitalism, I see President Obama trying to bring a measure of balance back to our capitalist system. After eight years of an aggressive and successful campaign by the corporate lobbyists to reduce the voice and power of the individual worker (the people), it is necessary for the president to forcefully struggle to bring the pendulum from the far right back to the center.

If people would take time to read, they will see that the President's policies are not far left ideals, but are quite centrist and they support the fundamentals of "The American Dream" that has been pillaged over the last eight years. No, I do not agree with every policy the president has, but I do see him as a man for the people. When you look at the things that he has done, you will not find any significant difference between him and other democratic presidents, with the exception of healthcare reform, and the spending bill.

Jay, you write as though you are reasonably intelligent, but I do not understand the anger against the president that I detect in your writing. Whether republican or democrat our president deserves our respect; if you have some personal knowledge of President Obama that is deserving of your disdain that is another matter, but if it is just policy differences, you are only belittling yourself trying to discredit him.

March 23, 2011 at 10:24 pm |
  6. Elliebee

President Obama is doing EXACTLY what a President should be doing. His trip to Brazil does NOT negate his focus on ALL the other BS he's having to deal with since he step into the White House on day one. President Obama is a multi-tasker and can do MORE than one thing at a time. Folks need to shut the hell up because they are NOT the ones doing the job of President. If it was that EASY why are you people whining about everything the man does applying for the JOB? EXACTLY... because you CAN'T!!! All Americans do is COMPLAIN, CRITICIZE and TALK TRASH, they never offer any positive solutions or consider that the job of the Presidency is NOT just a one-sided job. You have to be very STRONG intelligently, physically and mentally. President Obama is only but a MAN. He's NOT perfect, nor does he claim to be. But as far as I'm concern, based on the last IDIOT we had running our country the last 8+ years, I'll put my money on President Obama any DAY and TIME!!!!

March 23, 2011 at 8:51 am |
    • Jay in NC

Hello Liz, ahem, Elliebee.

March 23, 2011 at 10:15 am |
  7. Liz Carter in Georgia

Jay, Sounds just like me doesn't it? LOL While I do SO agree with Elliebee, ahem, that's not me! That's just another intelligent minded person who loves this country, but hates the narrow-mindedness of it's double-standardness of 'presidential' duties, unrealistic expectations, even 'perks', and divisiveness.

March 23, 2011 at 10:59 am |