April 8th, 2011

White House budget meeting yields progress but no deal

WASHINGTON (CNN) – President Obama’s emergency budget meeting with House Speaker John Boehner and Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid lasted for 50 to 55 minutes according to a top White House aide, before ending without an agreement.

The official described the tone of the Oval Office meeting as “serious, focused and candid.”

In recent White House budget negotiations President Obama and Vice President Biden would at times dismiss advisers and aides in order to have direct talks with the two Congressional leaders, but Thursday night was different according to a senior administration official.

The official said White House Chief of Staff Bill Daley, Vice President Biden's Chief of Staff Bruce Reed, OMB Director Jack Lew, Director of Legislative Affairs Rob Nabors, along with Boehner's Chief of Staff Barry Jackson and David Krone,  Reid's Chief of Staff were in the Oval for the entire meeting.

As he did after Wednesday's late night session, President Obama made brief remarks to reporters who had hastily gathered in the briefing room.

"I wanted to report again to the American people that we made some additional progress this evening," the president said.

"Those differences have been narrowed."

Mr. Obama said staff would work overnight to try and bridge those differences.

While he sounded hopeful the president stressed that those outstanding issues were "difficult" and "important to both sides."

"So I’m not yet prepared to express wild optimism."

As the clock winds down to a Friday midnight federal government shutdown, the president postponed Friday's trip to Indianapolis, Indiana.

The visit was to have been part of a recent push by the president to highlight his energy policy.

Topics: Budget • President Obama • The News

1. JoAnn Mellendorf

I can't believe how our Congress is thinking about having a government shutdown. Don't they know how this is going to affect the people and their families. My husband works for the federal government. I thought that this country says that it's for the people. I am waiting to see if my husband will go to work on Monday or not. It just shows that most of congress has heartless men working there.
    Outraged in Illinois

April 8, 2011 at 6:55 am |
  2. JoAnn Mellendorf

I can't believe how our Congress is thinking about having a government shutdown. Don't they know how this is going to affect the the people and their families. My husband works for the federal government. I thought that this country says that it's for the people. I am waiting to see if my husband will go to work on Monday or not. It just show that most of congress has heartless men working there.
    Outraged in Illinois

April 8, 2011 at 7:13 am |
  3. JoAnn Mellendorf

I can't believe how our Congress is thinking about having a government shutdown. Don't they know how this going to affect the people and their families. My husband works for the federal government. I thought that this country says that it's for the people. I am waiting to see if my husband will go to work on Monday or not. It just shows that most of congress has heartless men working there.

April 8, 2011 at 7:21 am |
  4. Bill

I wonder if john boehner would tell his mother or daughter or wife to hurry up and die according to to how he think of American people?

April 8, 2011 at 8:09 pm |
  5. Jennifer

Why is it we cut so much needed funding for poor americans.But we give tax breaks and unnecessary raises to wealthy corporations and ceos? Jp morgan lawer got 1500% raise from 1.3 million to 20 million,no one person needs 20 milllion or even 1.3 million it sickens me.This is who we should be mad at america sleeze balls like this! not poor americans!

April 9, 2011 at 4:11 pm |
  6. lindalu

these CEO's Meida, Sports people there is no glass ceiling for them is there...RAISE THEIR TAXES and leave the SENIORS alone!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

April 11, 2011 at 12:43 pm |
  7. lindalu

RE: The GOP which is the GREATEST LOBBIEST in WASHINGTON DC...FOR BIG BUSINESS...
    "WE ARE ONE" The Unions, Teachers, Seniors, Firemen, Policemen, Vets, Disabled and hard working
    Middle Class America...are banning together AGAINST the GOP. This is happening all over on Twitter, Facebook and all social networks. Come 2012 the GOP will find it self "OUT" of office again. We are fighting the dismantel of Unions, cutting of Teachers, we are AGAINST the privitization of Social Security (which is the SENIORS MONEY), pay for VETS, help for DISABLED and the trickel down theroy for The Middle Class AMERICA...We are out to do away with CEO's and back to One Boss, and workers. like in the 60's, As for the Tea Party we will throw that out with the bath water.

April 11, 2011 at 12:49 pm |